Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pianoman2pianoman2 Member Posts: 2
    I've found a 2001 330i CPO,5sp, sport, premium,cold weather, xenon, leather, 12K mi. The delaer won't let it go for less than 33K. Looking for feedback - is that a OK deal?
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    It doesn't sound like a good deal to me based on what my wife paid for a comparably equipped '02 325Ci last February. How does the price compare with the MSRP?

If you want to get some competitive prices, I suggest to call Mike Pile BMW in Tyler and Garlyn Shelton BMW in Temple. My wife bought hers at Mike Pile.
  • fomentarfomentar Member Posts: 49
    Cab7 - I am also shopping in the Boston area. I requested some internet quotes...so far the only dealership that responded (GalleryGroup)did not prepare a quote, but tried to have me come in and "speak" with them. I subsequently received a response from another "representative" from same dealership who indicated that the exact car I am looking for would be arriving in two weeks...interesting since the first "representative" said that the vehicle I was looking for was difficult to find unless ordered...still no quote.

Let me know if you have any better luck.
  • bgt1bgt1 Member Posts: 50
    I heard most dealerships are offering deals on their new left over 2002 3-series.

Either 0% financing or 2.9% and approx $2500 off. I think both come out to about the same.

I think that is a pretty good deal considering there is almost no difference between the 2002 and 2003 model.

Any thoughts?
  • spombe7spombe7 Member Posts: 4
    It was a 2002 model. I have spoken to a number of people who just bought BMW. Our common suggest is to shop outside the Houston area in order to find better deals. I drove 40 min to a BMW dealer in Clearlake and they would take $500 off the price before I even opened my mouth.
  • amagnusamagnus Member Posts: 1
    The key is to work off the invoice price of the car, NOT the MSRP. Treat the MSRP as an imaginary number and ignore it entirely while negotiating the price of your car. I got a great deal on my '03 325xi outside of Boston (Wagner Motor Sales, the representative said this was a very slim profit deal for them). I was able to get the price down to less than $1000 over invoice.
    Sport Package
    XI Package
    Leather
    Bi-Xenon
    Moonroof
    Power/heated seats
    on board comp
    metallic paint
    All for only $34,700!!!
    I did not visit any dealerships. I faxed every dealership w/in an hour drive and told them I was interested in buying a car. Most ofthem called back within an hour with their best price. I let them know what my best offer currently was and let them see if they could match it. It helps to do this at the end of the month when dealerships are looking to meet quota's. Also the site fightingchance helps increibly! Best of luck in your negotiations!
    First quote received had price as follows:

2003 330Xi
    Steel Grey Metallic, Steptronic, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, Bi-Xenon
    Quote $43,200

Invoice is $40,850 and quote translates into approx. 6% above invoice.
  • jmezzjmezz Member Posts: 36
    could anyone offer help. got lease price 39 months, 12k yr,418/mo with 1100 inception plus 4500.00 deposit which i get back at end of lease. sounds very good. how is 330xi is is better choice than 525 for only $30 more?
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    Jmezz- I was looking at your deal and $418/39 months $1100 down and it looks very attractive for a 330xi...are you sure this is correct, does this include tax, and what options do you have? What distrubs me when you have a good deal like that is the $4500 deposit...that is absurdly high and my guess is you won't be seeing that money back... If I were you, I would fax that deal w/o the $4500 to other dealers in the area to see if they will match...if no one will match, you know something is fishy about your deal...

So, the 525i is $30 more? This is more preference... The 525i is a lot more spacious and has a beautiful shape... the 330xi has a high perf engine, 4wd but is extremely tight in the back...If you are getting the 525i in stick or if performance is not a big deal, then go with the 5'er...otherwise, I think the 330 with 4wd (depending on location) is also a nice choice
    thanks for info bimmer12! the options on 330xi was just premium pkg and cold weather pkg list was about 39-40k. also maual trans. the 4500 is called a multiple security deposit(mercedes and lexus offer same) and that money is guaranteed to come back to me at the end of the lease in its entirety. it is not cap cost reduction. it is very beneficial to give them this"loan" because it saves you about $48.00 per month of the lease. these special prices are in effect until 12/31 then program could change. their rates are very good on 330 and 5 series.
    JMezz- just trying to make sense of this deal which sounds terrific... So essentially, the $4500 is not a security deposit but is used more in the way a bank uses your money in a regular checking account.. It is beneficial to BMW because they can borrow money with 0% interest?? I have heard of people who have left large security deposits and don't see the money when they return.. When you say Guarantee, do you mean guarantee?

Anyways, great job hunting that lease down...does this include tax(what percent)?
    i have spoken to 3 bmw dealerships and all have said there is no poblem getting your security deposit back regardless of stolen car or totalled car. the deal seems great to me but these rates are only in effect till 12/31. rates as well as residual could change next year as they have told me that they can't see these rates again next year. though they said that if rates go up next year that i have already locked in my "low" rate due to having credit approved in december. i don't need a car for several months as i still have a few left on my current lease!
  • spombe7spombe7 Member Posts: 4
    Someone asked earlier whether it is worthwhile to get the 330 over the 325. I never test-drove a 330, but I am very happy with the 325, which I think is the best value in the BMW line-up. The 2.5 engine is powerful, smooth, and sporty, and it was the top of the line engine just a few model year back. The 3.0 engine is no doubt better, more powerful and remarkably more fuel efficient and burns cleaner. I personally don't think that I would pay $5-7000 more if I am already very satisfied with the 325. The money "saved" can be spent on something else, like gas or hotel expenses for several big vacations. I don't buy the argument that we should load the car with options because, as the dealer wants you to believe, that you can "get the money back" when you are ready to sell. Don't forget that we "pay" for these options first so the money is already gone! There are always bargain hunters who just want to drive a BMW and they may not care whether the car has a sunroof or a fancy computer, etc. The basic suspension on the 325 and 330 is the same, and it gives you the best combination of ride comfort and handling. My friend has a 330 with the sport package, they feel that it is too firm and jittery when driving on the high way for a long time. I am very comfortable in my car after 3-4 hr drive on high way (quite common if you live in the Midwest). If you plan to drive like this frequently, the sports package may not be a good idea. Another concerns with the sport package is the use of performance tires vs all season ones. The former gives you excellent grip, but is more sensitive to road defects and it wears out faster. Further, if you live in the snow belt, you should find out how well the performance tires grip in snow. From what I read, they do not grip very well. But, again, only you know what level of sportness and comfort can statisfy you so perhaps you can test drive one with the sport package on bumpy roads or on a rainy or snowy day and see for yourself.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Spombe7, I'm in the market for a 325, just curiuous what you think the value options are for this car. Thanks.
  • needashaveneedashave Member Posts: 91
    Also, has anyone recently worked with a dealer in the Chicago area that they like? I'm hearing number like $1,500 off MSRP and don't want to waste any time (sorta of an early Christmas gift to myself...giddy up). Happy motoring.
  • bogdanovbogdanov Member Posts: 2
    I am going to buy a used BMW 325i 2001 (I live in San Jose, CA). All the dealerships around here have asking price around 29k for cars with automatic transmission, leather, moonroof, power seats. It seems to me that fair price for such cars should be around 23-24k. Is there somebody who bought a 325i 2001 recently? How much did you pay?
    Im still trying to find out what deals anyone has got or been offered for a left over new 2002 330i? Ive hearing stories of either 0% financing or 2.9% and approx $2500 off?? True, not? Still fair amount of new 2002's out there?

Thanks!
    The resale value on the 3 series is extremely high and that is one of the perks of ownership. $29k for a 2 year old 325i would not make sense to me when you can pay a little more and get a well-equipped brand new 2003...
  • geek_girlgeek_girl Member Posts: 7
    I'm interested in buying a 325i in Texas before the end of the year. I'm in Austin, but have heard bad things about the local BMW dealer (although it seems they've recently changed management) and am willing to travel out to Houston or even Dallas/Ft Worth for a great deal.

I haven't bought a new car in 11 years. Any advice on good dealerships, negotiation techniques (I hear BMW won't budge much below MSRP?), would be greatly appreciated!
    Also, I am wondering: if they don't have the car/options I want on the lot and I have to order it, do I have any negotiating room at all ?

Thanks in advance!
  • jarbarjarbar Member Posts: 7
    To geekgirl try driving I-20 to Shreveport and check out Orr-BMW and talk to Cameron. They were the best deal around the East Texas area. Mike Pile in Tyler also gives great deals but Shreveport has a bit more inventory and was about 200.00 less than Tyler on the same car. Cameron is a low-keyed scott who really takes his time with each customer.I have shopped everywhere and have owned another bmw before this one. While your over there go to the boats. Who knows you might win enough to pay off the car.(wish)
    Geek Girl,

I am looking for a 330 in the DFW area and have been corresponding via email to all three BMW dealerships- Classic in Dallas(Richardson), John Roberts(Dallas), and Autobahn(FtWorth).

In order of the infomartion they give and how friendly they are, Id rank them from highest to lowest: Classic, Autobahn, then John Roberts.

From what im gathering, if you have to order it, no discount unless European Delivery- which is out of the question for me.

The best negotiation you can get is to find a new 2002 325. There is virtually no difference between 2002 and 2003 model.

All remaining new 2002's left they are offering 1.9% financing and probably some dough off the top of that. Classic is quoting 1.9% financing and maybe some dough off the price and Autobaun has been advertising 0% financing but no discount off msrp.

Good luck!
  • idyllicidyllic Member Posts: 4
    I recently received a quote from a local dealer for a 2002, 325i asking $33,200. The car has the following:
    Premium Pkg
    Cold Weather
    Harmon-Kardon Sound
    Leather
    Being a "first timer" in the BMW line, I'm seeking comments regarding the offer.
    Additionally, regarding RWD, living in Wisconsin I'm a little concerned about the handling during bad weather. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • silivalleysilivalley Member Posts: 1
    I received a quote about a 2001 325i and would appreciate any input:

9500 mi.
    Silver exterior
    Black interior leather
    Cold weather package
    Premium Package
    Sports package
    Xenon headlights
    Fold down rearseats
    NO HK speakers or CD player
    warranty 5 years/100,000 mi
    asking for $29900 (not including tax and license)

Does this sound reasonable or should I spend the extra 8 grands for a new one?
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I have a 325i with SP, HK, Xenons & CWP plus I live in Madison, WI. I've only driven my car once in a 2" snow, but I can say the BMW handled the snow very well. I bought a set of winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sports) and rims from tire rack for $600. I would highly recommend the winter tires since they will enhance the all around performance of you car in the white stuff thus increasing your safety. With winter tires, you will be better off in terms of handling and safety in moderate snow than 90% of the cars out there including most SUV's.

Personally, I don't like FWD cars in any condition, including snow. I find a well balanced RWD car (ie BMW) to be more predictable and easier to drive in snow. The DSP seems to work very well in preventing inadvertent over steer.

Regarding your offer, what is the MSRP and invoice price? You should be able to get a 2003 for $1500 under MSRP.

-murray
    The BMW's generally have 50/50 weight distribution that provides excellent handling in snow even with rear-wheel drive. Since you are not getting the sport pkg with the sport 17" wheels, the car will perform well in the snow, esp for a rear-wheel drive car. I am not familiar with Madison, WI but I assume you get you rfair share of storms. That being said, I would pay the $1750 extra and get the 4 wheel drive. It is so good in the snow, and if you break the cost of this option over how long you plan to keep the car, i would get it. Additionally, when time comes to sell, it's an option that people look for. Negotiate the options you listed above with the 4wd for $34k
    3 series in general have high resale values so the $29900 offer is fair for the car. I think it comes down to valuing what options are in this car against the new 2003 325i you can get in the same range. If you really want a car with a sport pkg and the other equipment you want and have budgeted you car at no more than $30k, then I think it's a good deal. I come from the school of thought where if you're making an incentive of $30k, might as well a little extra and get exactly what you want. FOr me, that would be a new car as opposed to a two year old automobile
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    That being said, I would pay the $1750 extra and get the 4 wheel drive

I disagree. I paid a third of that for my winter tires and I get improved braking and handling without the fuel mileage penalty you get with AWD. I may give up a little acceleration vs. AWD, but I'll be able to stop quicker and be safer overall.

AWD only works when your foot is on the gas. Winter tires help in all aspects of performance. To me, it's a no brainer.

-murray
  • xmas02xmas02 Member Posts: 2
    I have just been qouted 03 330xi with following options
    titanium silver
    premium pkg
    coldweather pkg
    bi-xenon lights
    5 speed auto
    MSRP 43395 qouted 40200 invoice(acc.to edmunds.com)is 39750.Input is appreciated.
    Xmas02,
    Your quote seems fairly reasonable. Difference from Edmunds is only $450.

I am also looking at a 330Xi with one additional option of sport package and so far have received two quotes of $43,200 (MSRP of $44,595, which is $1200 higher than your MSRP for Sport). Your quote is $3,195 less than MSRP...my quotes are only $1,200 less than MSRP. Where are you buying? I am in Boston area.
  • xmas02xmas02 Member Posts: 2
    I am in st. louis area. probably AWD is more expensive in northeast area.
    I just bought a new 2002 330i- jet black, premium, auto, and xenon lights.

Didnt get much off sticker BUT I was able to get 0% financing over 60 months through bmw. That is huge for me- it saved me at least 4k on the overall price.

So, while you are working on the sale price of the car, think about the financing too. The 0% on remaining new 2002 is offered through BMW NA.
    Hi everyone -

thanks for your advice on the car.

I was able to get:

2003 325i, steel gray, gray leather, steptronic, prem. pkg., xenon, and floor mats (groan)

for 33604.75.

Depending on who you use (edmunds invoice was 32305, incl mats; BMW invoice was 32605), I either got $1300 over invoice or $1000 over invoice, so I think (hope) that's not too bad.

I ended up buying from BMW of Austin. They were okay to negotiate with - not TOO painful. :)

I take delivery of my car around mid-Jan (it's supposedly on the boat now).

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks again.
    Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I received a quote for a 325xi (2003). The following applies:
    Titanium Silver
    Steptronic Auto
    Cold Weather
    Pre Pkg
    Leather
    Xenon Lights
    According to Edmunds:
    Invoice: $34705
    (Dealer quoted $34930 invoice. When questioned indicated advertisement fees or bad data on Edmunds etc., thoughts??)
    MSRP: $37845
    Quoted Selling Price: $35665
    Delta: $2180 under MSRP
    Delta: $960 over invoice ($735 per dealer's invoice)
    Immediate Delivery
    Thoughts and comments highly requested. I may close the deal Monday. Thanks in advance.
    It sounds like a great deal to me (you saw my deal!).. That's actually the lowest over invoice I've seen on a 2003.

The dealer-quoted invoice for my 325i included $300 of advertising fees. I went back and looked at Edmunds' pricing page & it says it varies from market to market.

Good luck...
    I would sign on that deal especially since the car is available immediately. What is up with the advertising fees? I saw that certain bmw dealers were throwing in an extra $200 fee for this and I feel that it's the worst scam since the documentation fee. Anyways, good luck and nice job.
    Sounds like a great deal!

BUT, are you financing or purchasing the whole thing? IF you are financing, what interest rate were you offered? That could make a huge difference right now. Ive seen ads in Texas that are offering 3.9% on all new 2003 3-series.
    geek_girl,
    By reading your post obviously your screen name does not represent your taste in nice cars. It looks you've purchased a beautiful car...congrats and thanks for the feed back. I know you're looking forward to driving your new car.
    bimmer12,
    Thanks for the info and, like you, I have many opinions about the "so called advertisement fees." None of which are appropriate to post:}.
    bgt1,
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am looking at 3.9%.
    For All,
    Thanks for the replies. One question: should I challenge the advertisement fees? While only a few dollars, it's the principle.
    Thanks again.
    idyllic- I too challenged the $200 advertisment fee that was assessed on principle. I wasn't buying the dealer's "the buyer pays for bmw's national advertisements".

One question for you- you are getting a car fairly loaded at a great price- are you against the sport package for $1,000 more? In my opinion, the seats alone are worth it as they are the most comfortable in the business, htd seats which you will learn to love, and fold down rear seats which come in handy. Finally, the 17" wheels on the xi models are All-Season which is great. Perhaps you can negotiate adding a sport pkg for $800 and 'morally' subtract the $200 advertisment fee! Enjoy your car!
  • lady_luxurylady_luxury Member Posts: 5
    I've got lots of questions, hope you all will have answers.

Anyone know of any dealers in the DC area (I'm in MD) that can give these good deals that I've been hearing about, somewhere around $1000 or better over invoice and 0% (or very low) for 60 mos. financing? I am hopeful for finding a good deal on a 2003 325xi with a few additional options.

Also, does anyone know about this luxury tax? Can I escape the luxury tax?

Does anyone know about ordering/purchasing/delivering from Spartanburg, SC? Is this similar to the Euro Delivery? Would that be the same as customizing? Would there be any perks?

I am confident in your abilities to help me as I have seen others find resolution. I'm in no real rush in purchasing. Thanks.
    The only 0% financing I have seen (im in TX though)was on remaining new 2002's 3-series. That is the deal I got. BUT, the dealership had to pay down the interest rate from BMW NA in order to offer it to their customers. Hence, I could not get both 0% financing AND a ton off MSRP.

The best % rate ive seen on 2003's is 3.9%.

Luxury tax is avoided if you are financing a car that is below $40k. the 325xi should be well below that mark- especially if you have a trade in.

Hope sone of this helps!

Brian
    As bgt1 put it, a 325xi will not be impacted by the luxury tax which afflicts vehicles over $40k but they are eliminating the luxury tax all together in the new year. As for price, I thought idyllic got a pretty reasonable deal on a 325xi and you can see the price he got by scrolling up. As for the $1000-1500 over bmw wholesale prices, the only way such a deal is attainable is through the european delivery program- (see 3-series european delivery thread) and I am not sure of a dealer in DC/VA that will accept this. What I would do is compare idyllic's deal above (car you can get immediately from your dealer) to the price you can get for european delivery wholesale price+destnation+$1000 or $1500 dealer profit and see which is better for you. Financing for 60 months is hovering around 4-6%
  • wantabimmerwantabimmer Member Posts: 2
    Doesn't seem that anyone has posted about the 2003 325ci convertible? I have requested a 2003 with heated seats, auto transmission; metallic paint, and leather seats. I didn't feel a need for everything in all of the packages but am rethinking the sports package b/c of the comments I've read here re the seats. Will definitely test drive again both on Thursday. This is the offer just faxed to me by the fleet dealer: either $1200 off MSRP (including options)for a total of $39,895 (excluding taxes, license, etc.)or $2500 aboveinvoice for a total of $40,315 (excluding taxes, etc.) so obviously the first is the better deal. I live in San Diego and am paying cash. Car is being ordered with delivery expected end of February if I order this week. This is their first offer--all communications were via the internet-dealer called this morning to confirm my options and then faxed this. all other dealers insisted I come in. What do you think? Thanks...I'm so nervous, this is my first very own car and it's a lot of money! Also, even though I am paying cash I was told I had to fill out a credit application in order to verify my identity ("so we know you are who you say you are"), as my credit report won't do this, any thoughts on why they want me to fill out the credit application?
    Wantabimmer-what's up with the htd seats in San Diego? :) I'm sure there are temperature fluctuations that warrant the need. I don't think many of us looked at the convertible to post about it but as other bimmer's, it's a fine automobile. In San Diego, I would imagine the demand is higher than here on the east coast and I would shoot for $1500 over invoice. But, the convertible is one of the better cars to get via european delivery and $1000-$1500 over german wholesale price due to the limited discounts on the ciC in the states. Check out eurobuyers.com for the wholesale prices and compare for yourself. Finally, evaluate some of the options again and see what you need- the premium pkg in the convertible offers a fully automated top- i'm not sure if that means cars equipped w/o premium pkg have two latches or are manual- might want to find that out and determine if it is worth the $1700..Other than that, the premium pkg doesn't add much.. I am a fan of the sport pkg but again, it's not necessary.. I love the seats, and the wheels and clear corner lenses look nice on the convertible. If possible, drive both and determine if you like it but the one advantage in San Diego is that you could leave the sport tires on yr long.

To summarize, go to eurobuyers.com and evaluate the 325 pricing and options (second thumbnail has wholesale pricing. Since you are paying cash, hammer them for the best deal $1200-$1500 over invoice here and compare your best deal in the states to $1000-$1500 over german invoice via euripean delivery. Determine which is better for you: 1. time to wait for the car 2. expenses for flight to germnay etc. Finally, being a first time buyer, have them fax you over a vehicle sales sheet ahead of time and be aware of bs charges- added bank fees, doc fees, advertising fees, etc. Make sure you are comfortable before you sign. With the credit application, not sure you have to fill that out and it may be something imposed by the government to ensure the money is legit but find out from various dealers if it is required. Hope this helps and good luck.. Feel free to post more questions as there are a lot of people on this board more knowledgeable than I!
  • wantabimmerwantabimmer Member Posts: 2
    Happy New Year-thanks so much for the reply today! RE the heated seats in San Diego--it's freezing here, especially in the morning--global warming, I guess! The premium package does offer the power top--but I don't want it or need it. Will be checking out european delivery--never considered it and I have friends and family in Germany so a trip there would be nice. Thanks for all your help!
    "..RE the heated seats in San Diego--it's freezing here"

Oh you spoiled Californians. I go out to SD at least once a year and its almost perfect weather there everyday. Except in the middle of winter, where it can get into the 40's in the early mornings..and then you have to "suffer" till 2pm that day when its sunny and mid 60's again!! :P

Enjoy your new car- youll LOVE it! I just got a 330i and its an amazing car!! =)
  • bkassingbkassing Member Posts: 13
    Fork over the extra money for the PP. You'll be sorry you don't have the powertop. And if you go to sell, it'll hurt you.
  • lady_luxurylady_luxury Member Posts: 5
    Thanks all for your help. I will be reviewing others' deals which have been posted and I guess I'll also be looking into European Delivery for a better deal than I could possibly get for immediate delivery.

How about info on performance center delivery? Anybody done it? What's the difference between PCD and ED? Is there another place to go to for this info besides the ED board?

Thanks again.
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    No discounts for US built US delivered models (like the X5, etc) vs. the big discounts for European Delivery.

Dan
  • bongerombongerom Member Posts: 1
    Happy New Years Everybody! A local dealer (Concord) asking price was $30,927 for the following:
    2001 325ci Coupe
    26K miles
    Sports package
    HK sound system
    Topaz Blue
    6 years / 100k extended warrantee (Certified)

Edmunds optimal price was $27,836 Certified (Dealer said Edmunds price is low for Northern CA)

Anybody out there know of a better deal in Southern or Northern CA? (Prefer No CA) but willing to travel to get a good deal.

Thanks for you help

MGJ
  • tlaw2tlaw2 Member Posts: 2
    I received a quote from Kuni BMW near Portland, OR for a Topaz Blue 2003 325i manual with a moonroof. The quote was $29,015 + $113(lic/reg/doc). Seems to be an OK deal since $1000 below invoice is consistent with the other posted quotes.

Mostly I'm concerned with the standard stereo and seats, and lease vs. buy decision with such few options. Any input would be great.

Thanks,
    TL