Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abcheartabcheart Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for tips blueguydotcom, :).
  • hollyahollya Member Posts: 10
    I have been offered on a Lease: 325xi, 18,000 per yr, 3 years, fold down seat, automatic, power seats, $3,000 at down. I don't want to be taken advantage of....is this a good deal. I am a middle aged woman always wanted a BMW. Leasing is looking attractive, but don't know if this deal is, please HELP!!!
    Sorry - the payment will be $498 per month, 18,000 miles per year as I am a real estate agent put on a lot of miles. Leasing is new to me and I don't understand the money factors. Can anyone tell me if this is a good lease?
    It is a 2006. He said the MSRP was $36,000 +. I need a fold down rear seat only for real estate signs.
  • desi1desi1 Member Posts: 40
    MSRP 41,345
    (Alpine White, Manual Trans, Cold Weather Pkg, Sports Pkg, Terra Leather)
    Residual 64%
    Cap cost before 725 of 39,590
    base money factor .00225
    factor after 7 deposits .00176
    ( Total of 8 deposits)
    Payment including tax of 538.41
    Amount due at inception 4,988.41.

Considering the above, please let me know...
    1. How does this deal sound? My calculations show it to be 1,700 over invoice + 725 (625 Acq + 100 doc fee).
    2. I have asked for 39,590 (including the 725), which gives him 1000 in profit (invoice+725+1000).
    3. How much better can I do?
    4. Should I wait to see the July and/or August MF to get even a better deal as the 2007 models should be coming out in Sep?
    5. He keeps adding the tax to the net cap cost when calculating the monthly payment, but when I calculate the tax after figuring out the before-tax payment, I always come up with about 2-3 dollars less than what he quotes. Any explanation?

Thank you for your help.
  • marimcgrathmarimcgrath Member Posts: 2
    well I bought the car and I am sooooo happy. It actually ended up costing 30.oo less than I anticipated....walked away without any money changing hands was nice...I fell like I got a keeper
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    For leasing negotiate the following:
    1. Purchase price: $1000 over invoice should be a fair deal and very do able.
    2. Money Factor markup: limited to 0.0004 by BMWFS
    3. Acquisition fee markup: limited to $200 by BMWFS

Everything else is just math!

Money Factors and Residuals for the 2006 325xi
    24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 70% of MSRP – .00285 Base Money Factor Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 60% of MSRP – .00275 Base Money Factor Rate

If you need more miles beyond 15K, you can buy them now or buy them up to 6 months before the lease ends. The rates should not be very different though you should check what the dealer is quoting you.

Your monthly payment on a lease consists of two items:
    1. Depreciation = ( Capitalized Cost - Residual)/Number of Months
    2. Interest Charge = (Capitalized Cost + Residual) * Money Factor.

where capitalized Cost = negotiated price + acquisition fee and Residual = MSRP * Residual Percentage.

NEVER put money down to reduce the capitalized cost on a lease since you lose the down payment if the car is lost or totalled.

To reduce monthly payments, you can make multiple security deposits to reduce the Money Factors (interest rate). Each extra security deposit is worth a 0.0007 reduction; you can make up to 7 extra deposits. Note that if you do not make any security deposit you rate goes up by 0.0015.

Tax treatment varies between states. In most states you pay tax on the total monthly payment.

Your drive off should be equal to:
    First Month Payment + DMV Fees + Security Deposit(s) + Doc Fee
    Is this a Deal or No Deal? 325xi, automatic, power seats, fold down rear seat, spark. graphite paint, 18,000 miles, 3 years, $3,000 down, monthly paymnt of $498. I'm a woman in my 40's and don't want to get taken advantage of. I really appreciate all your input/help on this. Comparing lease quotes from other dealers, this seems good, but I'm not sure. Can anyone let me know soon. Thank you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,139
    What is the MSRP? Does this include sales tax?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I forgot to tell you that this is a 2006 325xi BMW sedan.
    the MSRP, he said was $36,000 +
    Does the price quoted include taxes?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

yes, it was everything.
    It looks like a good deal... Not knowing how the $3000 is broken down, it is hard to give an exact assessment...

But, I assumed an MSRP of $36,500, a selling price of $34,500, residual of 60% for 3yr/45K and base money factor of .00275..

That yields a payment of about $505/mo.. The extra mileage (54K, instead of 45K) adds about $35/mo.. for a total of $540/mo..

If your $3K is:

$498 1st pymt.
    $500 security deposit
    $625 acquisition fee
    $200 title/license fees
    $1080 taxes (6% X total payment? just a guess)

that just about eats up the whole $3000... So, if my assumptions about taxes and MSRP are accurate, you are about $40/mo. under my deal... That would make the selling price about $3500 off of MSRP, which would be outstanding...

That stated, small differences in the assumptions can make big differences in your payment... Your taxes could be lower, the MSRP could be lower.. You may find that your quoted payment doesn't include taxes, once you get ready to sign.

From the information that you've posted, it looks like the dealer is giving you a good deal. The lease program on the 325xi itself is not that outstanding, but the dealer seems to be doing his part.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmw_newbiebmw_newbie Member Posts: 1
    I just signed a lease on a new 325xi with automatic, winter package, spark. graphite paint, 12,000 miles over 27 months.

The purchase price with ED was $32,200 ($1,330 over European invoice), MF of 0.00285, 71% residual, $825 Acquisition fee, $195 documentation fee, no sales tax since I am in NH.

The monthly payment is $391 a month including 5 additional security deposits. Total drive off costs $3835 ($391 first month payment; $2,400 security deposits; $25 title fee; $825 acquisition fee' $195 doc fee).

Seems like a good deal, even including the fact that the acquisition fee and doc fee are high. But what am I missing? Am I being taken advantage somewhere I am not thinking about? Thank you for your input.
  • quest123quest123 Member Posts: 1
    This is a great info, thank you.

Should also Bank fees ($670) be a part of drive off payment? The dealer asked me for it, but you did not mentioned it. Is there bank fee when the lease is via BMWFS? What is "Money Factor markup: limited to 0.0004 by BMWFS"? Does it mean that money factor is negotiable and they can go below, let's say ".00275 Base Money Factor Rate"?

Thank you in advance
  • mwildmwild Member Posts: 2
    I'm a single 34 year old woman buying a car for the first time and am not sure if this is a fair deal. Please advise.

2006 325xi, metallic paint, premium package, cold weather,navigation system, satellite radio, park distance control. MSRP $41,940 selling price of $39,160 with 200 for MACO and 180 for training service fee. Are these always included? The car has to be ordered so delivery is expected in late July...does anyone know if there will be any incentives on the 3-series?

Finally, how much is reasonable to put down, if anything, upon ordering the car? I've been told nothing by one dealer, 1000 by another, and 2000 by another. Thanks so much!!
    I am so undecided...and, I know it's all personal preference but I can't decide between the Sparkling Graphite or the Titanium Silver. What do you think? I am a female late 40's. We've had 3 silver type colored cars, I guess I'm just tired of it but I know it looks sharp. I don't want black, although I know it's popular. I thought the sparkling graphite would be nice and it's darker but not black.
  • crazytigercrazytiger Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I had a 1999 328 convertible which I LOVED, but recently got rear-ended and the car is totaled. I am considering purcharing a 2006 330Ci - sport package, cold weather, navigation, metallic paint, manual shift... Would you be willing to share which dealership in the area you chose to purchase your car from (My 328 came from BMW of Arlington), how much you paid, and whether any incentives were offered. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I had a 1999 328Ci (2dr convertible) which I LOVED, but I recently got rear-ended and shoved into the car ahead of me leaving a Nats game and the car is totaled. Nats fans headed for Virginia after games beware the on ramp for 295 - it backs up and not everyone is paying attention... I am considering purchasing a 2006 330Ci - sport package, cold weather, navigation, metallic paint, manual shift... I would be interested in hearing which dealerships in the DC Metro area folks like, price range recommendations, and whether any incentives are currently available. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • mleanhmleanh Member Posts: 17
    This is based on our own experiences shopping for a 3-series, and a handful of our friends and family over the years:

Maryland

VOB- one of the larger volume dealers, known for pretty good prices on the sales side. however, a very bad reputation for their service dept. the people i know who have bought there said that VOB was good on price, but after a couple of unbelievably bad service experiences take their car elsewhere for repairs.

Passport- has a good reputation for prices and customer service. i know 4 people who have bought over the years from there, various models, all very happy with their buying experience.

Tischer/Mile One BMW- i don't know anything about this one, it's further out and a long drive even if it's considered Silver Spring.

Virginia

Arlington- they seem to be just ok on price, ok on service. depending on conditions (right time,right car) you could get a decent deal here. sometimes they'll deal, other times they'll hold firm at a high price.

Fairfax- from my experience the worst reputation among the VA dealers. They tried to pull the bait-and-switch on my cousin. Twice! First, tried to put him into a demo (2,000 miles+) car after agreeing on a "brand new" car price, then tried to switch to a non-metallic color car. He did still buy- after threatening to walk out, they chased him down and gave in. The deal was good for him, but may not be worth the aggravation for you. I would not recommend servicing your car here though.

Sterling- has a good reputation, and their Client Advisors are very friendly. I'd recommend this one in VA if you don't mind driving out there. They are also the Costco dealership if you are going that route.

As far as price, if you belong to Costco, it can't hurt to check out their pricing to get a baseline. On the 330i, it was $600 over invoice, options at cost when we looked.

Or, if you belong to a credit union around DC, also try United Buying Service. Sometimes their prices are lower- plus the dealer is not allowed to charge processing fees. That could save you almost $300 in VA. The one caveat though- sometimes UBS is a pain to deal with. You have to call them first, you can't pick the dealership, they just assign one to you. If you want to change it, to find one closer to you for example, they say you can't do that.
    Thank you. The information you shared is incredibly helpful!
  • iycrraiycrra Member Posts: 24
    Does BMW offer free maintenance service on lease cars or on purchase only?
    The maintenance is included with every car, and even transfers to subsequent owners until the expiration date... Buy or lease...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    2006 325xi, metallic paint, premium package, cold weather,navigation system, satellite radio, park distance control. MSRP $41,940 selling price of $39,160 with 200 for MACO and 180 for training service fee.

Training fee is bogus. MACO should be listed on the car's invoice. Ask to see the invoice.

Are these always included? The car has to be ordered so delivery is expected in late July...does anyone know if there will be any incentives on the 3-series?

Expect good sized (2k or so) incentives on the 2006 3 series by fall as the 07s will be the 328i and 335i (more power), thus making the 06s one year lame ducks.

Finally, how much is reasonable to put down, if anything, upon ordering the car? I've been told nothing by one dealer, 1000 by another, and 2000 by another. Thanks so much!!

$500 to $1000 refundable deposit is normal.
  • coastal1coastal1 Member Posts: 3
    I saw this combo over the weekend and it is GORGEOUS. I'm ordering it in the 325xi (with walnut trim). I'm normally a silver or grey car buyer. Never even thought of buying a blue car, but this combo blew me away - beautiful. I saw it parked next to the granite grey and the black. The granite is nice, but the monaco had more punch than both. So excited can't wait!
    325xi
    Automatic
    Premium package
    Cold weather package
    Comfort Access
    metallic paint

$36,500 (includes destination / but does not include taxes or registration).

With taxes, registration, dealer fee, etc. it is 39,585 out the door. Can I do better?
    Please help.
    Forgot to mention this is a 2006
  • andy_gandy_g Member Posts: 1
    First I'd like to thank everyone on this site. It has been a real help in the car buying process.

I just put a deposit down on a 330xi. This was a cash purchase, not a lease:

Manual Transmission
    Cold Weather Package
    Jet Black/Black Leatherette

Invoice is $36,685 (from Edmunds). MSRP is $40,485.

I paid:

$37,338
    + $ 1,866.90 (5% Mass Sales Tax)
    + $ 318 (Registration, Inspection + Doc Fee)

I simply used Edmunds service to get a quote from a more distant dealer and then got my local dealer to match it. This was relatively painless process -- so I probably didn't get the best possible deal, but I think I did pretty well in terms of price vs time spent negotiating.

Hope this helps others in their purchase process.
  • desi1desi1 Member Posts: 40
    I will be getting delivery of 2006 330i (white, terra, sports, cold) the week of July 10. As this would be my first time leasing a BMW, would you please help me with checklist of items that I need to go through? I read on some forums to make sure to check the Stolen Vehicle Record paperwork, Vehical History Report, Software Version, Rechargeable flashlight, etc. Also, I asked the question of Run Flat Tires and got the suggestion that it would a good idea to ask the dealer now to have the Bridgestones changed to Continentals.

Thank you for your help.
  • acorvineacorvine Member Posts: 17
    I've read a few postings and not really sure about a few things. I'm most likely going to lease and I wanted to know what the money factor is and how often it changes? Does is move like an interest rate (daily)? And I really don't want to put 2500 down but it seems like all the dealers want that. Is there any way around that or to bring it down? Also, should I hagle the price of the car for a lease or is it moot?

Thanks
  • mwildmwild Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a million - that's very helpful!
    The money factor is equivalent to an interest rate on a loan, and it is used to compute the finance charge portion of the lease payment.. Most captive finance companies come out with a new lease program each month, but the money factor does not alway change each time.

When you make your deal on the car, the lease paramaters are locked in for the life of the lease.

Most deals don't require $2500 down, but a dealer will structure the lease that way, to make the payments seem less expensive.. You should always try to negotiate the selling price of the car, as the lower the price, the cheaper the lease.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks!

I received an email today from a dealer for the 06 325XI
    with premium pkg, cool weather, automatic and Satellite prep. The price was $38,595 and the reduced it to $37,395. Is that a good price?? :confuse:
  • bbydadbbydad Member Posts: 58
    Do you know if the 2007 3 series will include a 328xi? Any other changes that you've heard about?
    I was offered a 2006 XI with premium pkg, cold weather pkg, automatic and satelite prep for $37,395. Does this sound like a good price.

Total due at signing 3,930
    Pmt 547 for 27 months

Help is greatly appreciated!!!
  • jcase33jcase33 Member Posts: 1
    Sticker on my 06 xi was $39,090.50

I got $1,200.00 off
    $1,100.00 total out of pocket for first months payment and various others charges.

Payment W/O taxes is $585.00 for 36 months.

$3,930.00 is way way too much out of pocket.
    Kyfdx:

2006 325xi 36mos/36kmiles

automatic
    prem. package
    cold weather package

price: 37,000
    down: 1000
    money factor: .00285 (before cr report reviewed)

Good deal?
    What is the MSRP?

I'd check in the lease forum for the money factors... I think BMWFS just made an unscheduled downward adjustment in MFs..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• eln001eln001 Member Posts: 32
    Which dealers are giving the best deals on 3 series in the Chicagoland area?
    The MSRP is 39090. They came down to 37,000.
  • jkim0321jkim0321 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All:

Hopefully a new BMW owner.
    I was wondering what should I be asking for if I plan to lease this car.
    What is the best deal I should be getting within the Bay Area, CA?

Thxs,
    JK
  • homervinshomervins Member Posts: 5
    Host - I am new to leasing. Could you please evaluate the following offer I received from an NJ BMW dealer today.

2006 BMW 325i (Jet Black)
    Options - Navigation, Auto Tran, Premium Package.

MSRP = $37,075 (incl. dest & options)
    Invoice = $34,665 (incl. dest & options - edmunds)
    Offered price = $36,748 (incl. dest & options)
    Money Factor = .0025
    Residual = 63%
    Term/Mileage = 36months/12k a year

Due at signing:
    $650 Security Deposit
    $675 acquisition fee
    $253 DMV (NJ)
    $198 Dealer Doc
    6% Tax (all tax due upfront)
    $510 (1st month payment)

Thank you.
  • njnewcarnjnewcar Member Posts: 4
    Hello Homervins,

I wud say you are paying a lot more . Dont pay anything more tha 1000$ over invoice. I am in the midst of finalising a deal for 330i. and your money factor lates is .00195 . The due at signing is all ok. But the other pieces seems way off. You cud send me an email and i wud let u know my final cost once i finalise, which shud be in a weeks time

V
  • mikeebearmikeebear Member Posts: 13
    Ok I custom ordered a 325cic with mystic blue metallic, natural brown interior, blue top, automatic transmission...and um that's about it.

I am paying 649.97/month for it for 36 months. I am not sure what the total price was because I leased it, but I am not sure if I got a good deal. (my dad did the negotiating sorry) The only options I got were the mystic blue metallic, automatic transmission...and um power seats come standard in all new 325cic's.

I got the feeling I was paying like 45k for the car and I don't think those options are even worth 45k...

By the way this was at BMW of Greenwich in Connecticut. I live in New York, though. Someone give me some info please!
  • nivki89nivki89 Member Posts: 15
    What is 'blue top'?
  • justcheckingjustchecking Member Posts: 2
    Hi JK,

I did not lease, I bought. So not sure how helpful this will be. You can read more about my buying experience and price paid and the dealer chosen etc at

http://www.moremasala.com/showthread.php?t=7

HTH
    --JC
  • justcheckingjustchecking Member Posts: 2
    So far so good. Car has now 10k miles. It was picked in Munich in September 2005. Read more about it here:

http://www.moremasala.com/showthread.php?t=7
  • calif65gmcalif65gm Member Posts: 75
    The color of the convertible top
  • bmwconvtbmwconvt Member Posts: 20
    i'm looking at a used certified 2001 330cic (convertible) w/premium, sport packages, automatic, xenon - 42k miles, $31,800. I have owned bmw convertible in the past - loved it.

do you all think it is worth that? i'd like to get for closer to $29K...