Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bmwhipbmwhip Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

Edmunds.com has the "what others are paying" price equal to the MSRP for the 328i coupe. My dealer says he can't get me one until April and does not seem willing to negotiate the selling price.

Are others having more success in negotiating a lower-than-MSRP selling price, or is this standard?

Thanks
  • smithmadsmithmad Member Posts: 19
    I am getting ready to go in to pick up my car and I was trying to figure out how much profit should they make off of the car. I figured out the Invoice cost of my car is $39450 with all of the options and destination charge. Right now just on base numbers (I have not signed anything, I am in a good position, i had a really bad experience at one dealer and then went to another dealer to get the car. They had thrown in a loaner car for the last 3 weeks (brand new) they are making $2525 off the car and $1041 off of fee's ($625) acquisition cost and the rest is document fee's. I am leasing the car. I noticed you had given advise on how much to pay and I was wondering if that $1000 was excluding all the other fee's they add on. Should my price of the car be $39,450 (38,450(invoice price) + $1000) and with their $1041 fee's. Please advise. Thanks so much.
    I am getting ready to go in to pick up my car (BMW 328i Coupe) and I was trying to figure out how much profit should they make off of the car. I figured out the Invoice cost of my car is $39450 with all of the options and destination charge. Right now just on base numbers (I have not signed anything, I am in a good position, i had a really bad experience at one dealer and then went to another dealer to get the car. They had thrown in a loaner car for the last 3 weeks (brand new) they are making $2525 off the car and $1041 off of fee's ($625) acquisition cost and the rest is document fee's. I am leasing the car. I noticed you had given advise on how much to pay and I was wondering if that $1000 was excluding all the other fee's they add on. Should my price of the car be $39,450 (38,450(invoice price) + $1000) and with their $1041 fee's. Please advise. Thanks so much.
    Yes you can negotiate this down. Standard price is $625. I am in Orlando FL and I got it down to $625. Now working on the MF and the actual sales price. Plus trying to pay the $625 up front in case instead of caring it into the lease.
    My car has been delivered and I am suppose to pick up my car on Saturday and we are negotiating the deal. I put no deposit down when I ordered the car.

Let me back up a moment. I started this process back at the end of December and ran into problems with the dealership. I walked out without purchasing a car. I called another dealership and told him my problems and that I was still interested in the car and I was not going to let the treatment prevent me from the getting the car. This was Jan 7th. Its now Feb 20th and I was wondering if you can tell me what the MF were for Dec and Jan. And what they are for Feb.

In addition, what is the price you would suggest a person pay for the following car:

Located in Daytona FL (tax rate 7.1%)

328I CP, Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Premium Package, Automatic, Comfort Access & Park Distance.

The Dealer said that my Cash Sales Prices is $40,975, Acquistion Fee $625 MF .0016, 36 months 15K miles, with 58% res Factor. Additionally there is 389 document prep fee. There is no security deposit at the end but a depositoin charge.

Can you provide me with what a good deal would be? And when I am presenting this information to him where do you say you got the MF rate at.

They said the the MF rates have not changed since the end of December.

FYI..I think I a got them in a position to make a good deal, no money has exchanged hands, the have my trade in which is paid off, we already negotiated a fair price on that, but they gave me a loaner car until my car came in. It had to be ordered. And no deposit was required. I have signed no papers, we are just getting into the financing side of the deal.

Thank you so much

smithmad
  • orangeman70orangeman70 Member Posts: 4
    Hi -

Would you mind sharing the dealers name with me. Thanks
    Fields in Daytona Beach FL. Am I getting a good deal?
  • jim_beamjim_beam Member Posts: 10
    I am in the market for a new car and after having considered Lexus IS 250, I have changed my mind and looking at 328i Sedan. I have contacted all the dealers in the bay area but I am not getting very helpful replies to my email. My ideal scenario would be to send the details of the car I want to the dealers, receive quotes and buy the one that makes sense (price and proximity to where I live). However, BMW dealers seem almost unwilling to part with their cargo! One dealer sends me a quote higher than the MSRP and another gives me quote for a car with options that I don't want. Most of them want me to go to the dealership before giving me any information. Overall, this has been a bad tasting experience. You are looking at spending $40K+ on a car and you get treated like a leper.

Does anybody have a strategy to deal with this? Should I just go through CostCo or some auto broker? If the buying experience is so bad, how about the service? Am I better off going with Lexus?

Thanks!
  • roxy68roxy68 Member Posts: 6
    I would send an email with the EXACT options you want. Note that if they don't have it or can't get it, that they should not contact you. My understanding is there is quite a bit of inventory for this car and you should be able to get a good price. Make sure you know what MSRP is and what price you want to pay. It may take some emails, but you'll find a dealer who will negotiate.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Contact Sac BMW dealers too. If the boys in the bay area won't play ball, look elsewhere. A 328i is a 400-500 over invoice car. If you really want the car, don't be afraid to order it - in so cal $500 over invoice is just a matter of calling around. The 328i in california is the equivalent of a Honda Accord...so common they must deal from invoice up as it's everywhere.
  • sidadenosidadeno Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My dealer mentioned that even if I don't buy from him, I should fill out a credit application this month to "lock in the rates."

Is it possible to lock in February's MF? Can you only do this if you buy a car in February or can the rates be used later?

thanks
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    BMWFS lets you lock in your rate for 60 days.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

roxy68 and blueguydotcom - thanks for the tip. You have been very helpful. I will check out the Sac option.
    If the dealers in sac won't play ball, a flight to la or san diego is only $50-60. If we're talking a big difference in price, don't be shy about contacting socal dealers.
  • mk0974amk0974a Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I've been an avid follower of this forum for quite sometime, but never thought I would actually be posting here. I am looking to lease a new 335 coupe. I finally managed to find one in NJ with a 6 speed manual transmission completely loaded. MSRP comes to $49,615. I currently have a GS 300 with about 73,000 miles on it which Im looking to trade in. I got offered $12,000 at carmax and I was thinking of going just trading it in at this dealer (for the same or higher amount) and using that money as a down payment on the lease. I've never leased before but have been told that is not a wise decision. I told the dealer that I would trade the car in and pay another 3,000 bringing it to a 15,000 down payment. He calculated a lease of 257 a month for 24 months and I just wanted to ask whether or not this sounds reasonable? I apologize if the question seems stupid, but I have never leased before and am looking to learn as much as I can from everyone here. Thanks to everyone in advance for the help!

MK
    Never put money down on a lease. Sell your GS but then put that money in the bank. eTrade's saving account pays 5%. If you put 12k into a lease and destroy the car in a wreck...you're out 12k. Lease with zero down (or bare minimum of security deposit) and you wreck the car you're out the security deposit.

I strongly suggest you visit www.leaseguide.com to learn about the ins and outs of leasing.

Beyond that, you always negotiate the sale price of a car - purchase or lease - always negotiate the sale price. The lower the negotiated price, the less you pay per month.

You should learn the MF for a 335i. This is negotiable too. Dealers can mark it up - so ask for that exact number. Feb rates on the 335i coupe =

24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 68% of MSRP – .00175 Money Factor Buy Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 58% of MSRP – .00175 Money Factor Buy Rate

That's a 4% rate.

Another thing to look into - multiple security deposits (MSDs). These will help you adjust the MF up to 0.00049 points.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Yeah.. everything that BGDC says..

Let's lay it out..

1) We know you can sell your car for at least $12K.. Assume you do... then set that money aside.

2) 335 coupe.. You probably won't get much of a discount, but that one is loaded... assume $2K off MSRP.

3) Base MF .00175, residual for 3yr/45K is 58%

$49615 MSRP
    $47615 Selling price
    $48240 CAP cost (selling price + $625 acq.fee)
    MF .00126 (7 MSDs)
    Payment = $638/mo.+tax = approx.676/mo. including tax..

Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, 7 more security deposits, registration/license fees.

Approx $6600 total due at signing, of which you'll get back $5600 at lease end..

Total cost of your lease = $24,660 for 36 months.

2yr/30K lease?

Payment = $750/mo. including tax
    Due at signing = $7050, of which $6000 comes back at lease end.

Total cost = $18,300 for 24 months.

That is a lot of money to rent a car for two or three years.. Just because you have $15K in cash (the Lexus + $3K) doesn't mean you should blow it all on a lease. Bottom line, that car rents for $675-$750 per month, depending on the terms... If that is in your budget, then go for it... But, don't put all that money upfront to make it seem less expensive.

Good luck.. you picked a nice car..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sonyswsonysw Member Posts: 34
    I just pick up my car basic 328ci with automatic and metallic as option. MSRP $37745. Gross Cap Cost $35893. Lease for 36/15k with 0 down. Total drive off $2036 (including $500 refundable security deposit and first month payment). Monthly payment $499 (including tax in CA). I think is pretty good deal. I am just wondering what is my money factor ? I know the residual value is 58%.
    BTW if the money factor is 0.0010 I don't think the price is $35893. Anyway I am happy with the price.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I think you got a very good deal. Approx. $1,850 discount from MSRP is very impressive on a 3-series coupe with practically no option. It is hard to estimate the money factor without knowing the breakdown of your drive-off, but it appears to me that you got the BMWFS buy rate of .00125 with no dealer markup.

Congrats on the new ride.
  • lexleaselexlease Member Posts: 9
    Bought 335i recently from Momentum BMW, SW Frwy, Houston. From beginning to end, it was the best buying experience ever thanks in large part to the Internet salesman who handled the deal. Have purchased and leased several Lexus vehicles in the past. With this BMW buying experience there was no drama, no deception, no surprises...and the car is amazing too.
  • frush93frush93 Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered a 2007 335CiC (the new convertible) at MSRP in CA. Fully loaded (premium, sports, nav, etc...) at 56,945. MSRP came out yesterday at 49,000 and some change for the base model. Anyone else get pricing on this car?
  • bmwincabmwinca Member Posts: 7
    I am in the market for a BMW 328i sedan. Potentially thinking about leasing. Is the base BMW MF unchanged from Feb, or is this different for March?

Also, for a 15K, 36 mo lease, is the residual still 61%?

Thanks!
    Lease numbers probably won't be available publicly for about a week...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rorymacrorymac Member Posts: 4
    I've been quoted a MF of .0195. Is this the BMW buy rate or should I try to negotiate a lower rate? The rest of the deal looks good IE $1900 off MSRP of $39,865, residual of 63% based on 12,000 miles per year, and standard $625 lease acquisition fee.
    For a sedan, the base rate for February was .0019...

Don't know about March

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• absoluticabsolutic Member Posts: 29
    when leasing, the money factor changes depending on whether you select yes to security deposit or no. It is one value with security deposit and another value without.
    That is true... all the base rates that I mention, assume you are making a security deposit.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mspiegsmspiegs Member Posts: 5
    Need to act on this deal fast. Please help!!

2007 328i with premium, sirius, and navigation, graphite color

Selling price agreed upon is $38,620.

I will put down $1,000 and roll the security deposit into the lease.

The MF is .00185, it started at .00165 but went up becuase I am rolling the security deposit into the lease.

Residual is 61%.

Total montly payments, after tax, is $557.

Is this a good deal???
    Is that a 328i sedan or coupe? The coupe with those features is 41720. The sedan is 38800, so I'm guessing it's the coupe?

Then again, I ran your numbers with the sedan and came up with 540 on a 38800 car with 1000 down and a 7.75% interest rate.

So what's the msrp of the car?
  • mspiegsmspiegs Member Posts: 5
    It is a sedan. And I believe the MSRP is around 40,500. So is this a good deal you? Is a MF of .00185 equal to 7.75%?!?!?!
    If the msrp is 40500 - you left off items.

185 is about 4.44%.

I guessed your tax rate - putting in a California one.

MSRP = 40500
    Cap = 38600
    down = 1000
    MF = 0.00185
    Residual = 61%
    Tax? = guess at 7.75%

I get $510 a month. You can do this yourself with http://leaseguide.com/calc.htm

Seems to me someone is tacking on massive extra charges. How the blazes are they getting up to $560 a month?

Ky...got any help for this guy? Seems to me someone is taking him for a ride or his state might have different tax rules.
    1. The $625 acquisition fee must have been rolled in the lease.
    2. The $1,000 "down pay" may actually be "drive-off" which include title, etc.
    3. The $40,500 may not be the exact MSRP.
    My drive off without the first month payment is $1036. So if the MF is about 0.00125 (according to leaseguide.com it came out $499 with tax), than the dealer eats up the destination charge for almost $700.

Anyway, I am happy and will just enjoy this ultimate driving machine.
  • johnct2004johnct2004 Member Posts: 2
    how does this deal sound
    328xi sedan
    leather premium pkg auto
    no money down
    479mo incl sales tax
    15000m a year 3years
    You guys need to provide these numbers:

MSRP
    Negotiated sale price (cap cost)
    local tax rate
    residual
    Negotiated MF

If you want to run the numbers yourself, http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.html
    Looks like you're right. Tossing that 625 onto it and taking 1k out of the down payment gets his numbers. Yikes, that's expensive for a 328, imho.
    Yeah. I can get the 335i with ZSP for less than that without doing ED.
  • jai226jai226 Member Posts: 1
    can someone please tell me if i'm paying too much for this lease. i just want the know if the numbers are reasonable.

40120 MSRP
    3 year 12,000 mile
    $3000 down
    monthly payment $487 tax included
    don't have the cap cost and money factor yet.
    8.25 tax
  • phaselockphaselock Member Posts: 2
    328i + auto + premium + navig + monaco blue

MSRP : $40095
    Negotiated sale price (cap cost) : $39095
    local tax rate : 8.25%
    residual : 64%
    Negotiated MF : 0.00165
    Drive-off : $1445
    36 months for 10k/yr
    Monthly payment : $548

Buy or not buy?

Please advice.
    Thank you.
    Refer to BGDC's post #7292 and use the link to calculate on your own.

But since I have just done shopping myself, here is my take for your reference. At $40,120 you have added quite a lot of options. You should be able to get at least $2,000 off sticker with no problem. The money factor for 328i sedan is .00155 for February; March number is not out yet. The residual for 3 yr/12k mi is 63%.

Assuming March MF is the same, if the $3,000 down payment is in fact cap cost reduction, the payment should be around $420. If $3,000 is total drive-off (which includes 1st payment, security deposit, DMV, etc.), your payment should be around $460. Either way, there is definitely room for negotiation. Good luck.
    You should be able to do a lot better on the selling price. Also refer to post #7292 and #7297.
  • quidycatquidycat Member Posts: 12
    i just ordered 335cic in encinitas in san diego for msrp. no discount but they are throwing in floor mats only. another dealer ship tried to make me get $1600 lojack so i backed out of that order.
  • quidycatquidycat Member Posts: 12
    i just ordered 335cic in san diego for msrp. no discount but they are throwing in floor mats only.

does anyone know if msrp is a fair price? or knows of any dealership willing to sell below msrp?

has there been any issue with the twin turbo engine? any info is appreciated!
    Is MSRP fair? That's your call. I personally won't pay MSRP for a car and give a dealer that much profit for doing absolutely nothing.

The engines are fine.

Two things;

1. The convertible is brand new and you will have a hard time getting a deal anywhere. Wait 5 months and it'll be easy. Do you have to be the first one in Scripps Ranch with that car? If not, be patient.

2. Which dealership? BMW of San Diego is the worst to deal with in this manner. They will rob you blind. As will Brecht. I bought my last 3 series at Harloff and I wouldn't buy from them ever again. I had to watch Harloff as they manipulated data and were very underhanded at every step once my salesperson fell ill. I've helped a few people and got my 2003 bimmer from Cunningham. I'd go to them before anyone else in SD ever. If I get another bimmer, I'm back at Cunningham for sure.

Additionally, check out bimmerfest. There are sponsor dealerships who will work with you. I know a few dealerships in LA will go off MSRP as they want the business and it's cutthroat up there. don't believe the lies salesguys tell you about buying from the dealership to get loaners...good dealerships in SD want the service business. Bad ones...cough BMW of San Diego cough...only want to rob you.

Finally, consider ED for the fall. You won't regret it; did ED with my car through Harloff in April 06. You can knock 5-5.5k off the sticker, get an awesome experience and not line a dealership's pockets for doing nothing.
    Take a look at this guy's extensive work looking for a coupe at a good price:

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180505

Seriously, I'd say consider contacting some of the people he worked with.
    The invoice/MSRP is 35,055/37,995. OTD is 38,875. Is this a reasonable deal (for NoCal)?

I have two dealers who are offering this price. One is local and other is a 100 miles away. The remote dealer says he will do better than the number here but I worry about the service aspect.

My questions are:
    A) Is this a good enough deal?
    B) Does it matter where I bought the car when I get it serviced?

Please advise! I cant wait to get behind the wheels :)

TIA
    1. If you like the deal, then it's pretty solid.
    2. It really doesn't make a difference in most cases. Call the dealership near you, lie to them and say you have a 2006 you bought in another city but want it serviced there. Ask if they will still give you a loaner for service visits.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I agree withe BGDC. I did this with my lease but chose the far away dealer. I am glad I did because the close dealer changed ownership and my dealer has demonstrated impeccable service. I did not have to lie but just made my dealer match the "close dealer". They happened to be in very high competition mode with each other and when the close dealer set a very low price, the winning dealer agreed. I now have about a 30 minute drive one-way.

Regards,
    OW
  • costerocostero Member Posts: 3
    I have an offer on the following bmw:
    2006 330i, alpine white/terra leather interior, premium package, auto trans, active steering, comfort access, split fold rear seats, gps, satellite radio. MSRP: 45,070. Offer: 41,885. Can I try and negotiate lower?
    Thanks.