Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• eholleraneholleran Member Posts: 1
    can some please help me. msrp 40,745, dealer will discount 2000. 2700 down(inc. everything but tags), 520 a month. is this good????? i cant find current money factors or residuals for the 328xi.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    If you want to end near 500, start lower. Let them meet you somewhere near 500.
  • juannokjuannok Member Posts: 7
    Hello All,

I'm going into the dealer on Thursday to negotiate a lease deal for an '07 328xi. I'd greatly appreciate any perspective on what a fair deal would be for this car. My initial thoughts are outlined below:

'07 Black/Black (Auto, Premium, Seat Heaters)

24mo/15K
    MSRP: 39,920
    Invoice: will confirm at dealer
    Selling Price Goal: 500-1000 over invoice
    MF: 0.00125
    Acquisition Fee: 625
    Residual: 71%
    I'll do the MSD's instead of down payment if possible

Sound right? I'll be sure to post final deal on the site.

Thanks,
    Jon
  • garbougarbou Member Posts: 8
    Jon,

I recently negotiated a deal on a 328i sedan with few options 36mo/10k miles, 500 over invoice, 625 acq. fee and MF .00125 with only the first payment down. (I did not opt for the MSD's). So yes, I think that your goals are good. However, I e-mailed several dealers in the area and most want to increase the acq fee or MF or both. Also, I leased a less desirable car. The 328xi may be somewhat more difficult as there are less of them making them more desirable. Maybe someone with xi experience can shed more light. Also, you may try www.bimmerfest.com for more info. Let us know what deal you negotiate. Also, if there are multiple dealers in your area or driving distance, you may contact their internet department and let them know what you are looking for. Hope this helps.
  • ikolnikoln Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I am in Boston Area. Out of few dealers, this is the best quote that I got. Can someone please tell me if I am getting a good deal or should I push further?

- 2007 BMW 328xi Black/ Black 4 dr Sedan
    - Standard
    - Cold Weather Package
    - 15K miles per year
    - $0 Down Payment
    - Term: 36 month.

The deal is:
    - Monthly Payment of $468.11 (All in, taxes, etc)
    - Due at signing is $ 1959.36 ( All in and consists of: 1st payment 468.11 + Acquisition Fee / Cap 625.00 +Tax on Acq. / Cap 31.25 + Registration & Doc fees 335.00 +
    Security Deposit 500.00 with Total amount... 1959.36)

I believe:
    - MSRP is $35,845
    - MF is 0.002
    - Not sure of residual

Should I go for it? Or is there room for more negotiation and how much more I could shave off my monthly payment?

Thank you!
    What's your negotiated sale price? I see MSRP and inflated doc fees but what is the price of the car?
  • brutigerbrutiger Member Posts: 4
    I haven't run the numbers, but it seems high with MSRP of $35,845 and a payment of $468.11. If you look at bmwusa.com you will see they offer a lease of $369 for an MSRP of $36,350 and only a $400 security deposit. Like I said I haven't gone to leaseguide to run the numbers, but it just seems high even though the $369 has a higher downpayment and is only 30 mo. You should also not pay MSRP for this car, if nothing else its high based on that.
  • oxaccuoxaccu Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

I'm also trying to negotiate a lease on a 328xi, and it seems hard to get good information about the numbers. So any help is much appreciated.

2007 328xi Sedan
    Steptronic
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather
    (with some additional options)

MSRP (from bmwusa.com): $41,900
    Destination Fee: $775

Dealer offered: 36 month, 15k, $3k down
    Negotiated price: $40,450
    Residual: 63% ($26,600)
    MF: .00023
    Acquisition fee: $775

Monthly payment: $530

Can someone explain the difference between the acquisition free and the destination charge? And do these numbers look within reason?

Thanks
    Acquisition fee is marked at $625 by BMW. So they're marking you up $150. When you start a lease they hit you with the acquisition fee. You can ask that the fee get rolled into your MF at a rate of 0.00035 (do that math its works in your favor).

Money factors for the 328xi:
    24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 71% of MSRP – .00175 Money Factor Buy Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 61% of MSRP – .00175 Money Factor Buy Rate

He's marking up your lease factor in a big, big way. 0.00185 to 0.00195 is reasonable. 0.00230 is obscene.

How the blazes is he getting a residual of 63%? $42,675 * .61 = 26031. 63% is $26,885. Something is fishy about his numbers.

Don't put any money down. You're hurting yourself doing that. Pay license, doc fees (they should be less than $100) and first month's payment. You can also do security deposit if you want to avoid an addition to your MF.

www.leaseguide.com is your friend. Read through it and use the calculator. You'll see that his jacked up MF is costing you probably 1-1.5k over the lease term.
    Thanks -- this is really helpful. Is there a destination charge (of $775) in addition to the acqusition fee? The destination charge is listed on bmwusa.com when you build a car online there. That seems like a separate charge.
    Destination charge is unavoidable. It's rolled into the MSRP.
    Ok -- good to know.
  • wrobbins8047wrobbins8047 Member Posts: 32
    Hello All,

Just wanted to post my final deal that I made with BMW of Palm Springs with no hassle at all!

07 328i Coupe - Black on Black
    Automatic
    Premium Package
    Sports Package
    Comfort Access
    Navigation System

MSRP: 44,290.00 /w 90 BMW mats
    Bank Fee: 625
    Residual: 60%
    MF: .00014 (marked up a bit but fair)

Sale Price: 41,465.00

Monthly Payment + 7.75% tax = 569.52

License & Registration: $339.75
    Documentation Fee: $45.00
    First Payment: $569.52
    Security Deposit: $0.00
    Drive Off: $957.75

I sent them an offer for this car for invoice + $500, and he replied with no problem, no back and forth crap. You can contact them here http://www.bmwps.com/MiscPage tell the Fleet & Internet Sales Manager I sent you.

Thank You,

Will
    A few of questions (328xi specific and a couple general questions).

1) I've seen a number of MF's for the 328xi on the formum and want to get clarity: Should the MF 0.00125 or 0.00175

2) Is the only benefit of MSD a reduced MF, or does it also reduce the cap cost?

3) Do I have to do MSD in order to reach the base MF rate (0.00125 assuming that's the right one) or do the MSD's reduce the MF below the 0.00125?

4) Why not put money down to reduce cap cost? What's the difference whether I pay it up front or in the monthly payments?

Thanks for the perspective!
    Jon
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    1) MF differs from model to model. It also changes each month. For March, the MF for 328i sedan is 0.00125, while the MF for 328xi sedan is 0.00175.

2) MF drops by 0.00007 for each MSD. BWMFS allows up to 7 MSD. It does not reduce the cap cost, because you will get the money back at lease end.

3) No. The base MF is just that, the base. On a 328i with 7 MSD, the MF would be 0.00125 - 0.00049 = 0.00076. (However, some dealer will try to mark up MF for additional profit.)

4) With down payment, you run the risk of losing it in the event your car is stolen or totaled. Besides, with the low MF, it is a bad investment. If your goal is to lower the monthly payment, you would be better off putting that money is a money market account and then withdraw the needed amount monthly.
    Found this post at bimmerfest so thought I would provide a partial answer to my own question...

Originally Posted by kimer12345
    You can make up to 7 security deposits, each one lowers the MF by .00007, so a max lowering of .00049. The actual $ value for the security deposit is based on the payment that you are buying it down to, rounded UP to the nearest $50. So if 7 MSDs makes your monthly payment $305/month, then your 1 MSD would cost you $350. Same if your payment was $349/month, 1 MSD would cost you $350. REMEMBER: this is not a "down payment" - you get this money back at lease-end!

The "is it worth it, heck yea!" math comes into play when calculate how much lower your monthly payment will be, multiply that by the number of months your lease is.

For instance:

Let's say on your $47K MSRP car has a 2 year lease payment of $763/month at the full money factor, and after lowering the MF with 7 MSDs, your new payment $722/month, each MSD cost yout $750 each, or total of $5,054, . So the monthly payment difference, x 24 payments, equals $984 savings. So your $5054 deposit/"bmw savings account" is MAKING you (saving you, same difference) $984 over 2 years. That's an almost 10% ANNUAL return on your money.

Also you should do the math on less miles (even if you need more), and the higher residual you get from doing that. For instance, I use every bit of 15K year, but just did my lease for 12K/year because it made more financial sense (less outlay) to buy my extra miles at .16 each and to have the higher residual.
  • donnabgood1donnabgood1 Member Posts: 39
    Just special ordered my 328i today to be built and delivered within 8 weeks from Munich headquaters.. (just like the way that sounds). :) Please let me know what you think.. this site has been invaluable to me -- would never have known about MSD's, money factors, etc without the info you share hee so thank you so much for those of you who take the time to share your knowledge with the rest of us.

Here's what I ordered:

Jet Black. Beige Leather 328i sedan.

Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Xenon Adaptive ( have those on my 05 325i and LOVE them!)
    Parking distance control (friend has that on his lincoln Aviator and says it's a great feature)
    Apple I-pod hook up in glove (does anyone else have this? I sprung the extra 400 for it because I think it charges the i pod and displays tittle and artist and steering wheel controls can be used to skip songs/play lists etc. unlike the aux hook up in the center console that plays thru the radio but only volume can be adjusted..)
    Logic 7 (talked into that by salesman, it only added 10-12 a month to my payment, and I hear that is night and day sound.. thoughts anyone who has that stereo upgrade in their BMW?)
    Navigation (which adds i-drive but I think I personally like the looks of the dash with it..and it's one of those things that I think if I didn't have it, I'd miss..)

and lastly, Comfort Access (read here on Edmunds someone who had it and seems like a very cool detail to have)..

so MSRP on this car is 44, 050.

Here's the deal:
    Cap Cost: 41, 600 (invoice plus 500)
    Res: 64% =28,192
    7 MSDs =3500.00 (for those new to the BMW game you can do up to 8, but with BMW loyalty max is 7 because it is already reduced by that first /7 )
    Money factor: .76
    Aqq. Fee: 625
    Drive off: 2450 (1543.90 going towards cap reduction and the balance going towards 1st pymt, tax and fees..)
    Monthly payment before taxes is 401.83 plus 8.25% Los Angeles tax is 434 and change.

Did I do good? I tried to apply all the information I gathered from this site.. please let me know what you think..and any options that I chose that you think are wonderful or anything that you consider a must have..

Thanks in advance for your input on your thoughts on this deal..

Sincerely,
    Donna

PS: This is the first time ever I have facory ordered a car..if anyone else has gone that route please let me know your thoughts on the experience.. was it worth the wait? :)
    what do you think of the ambient lighting.. does that come in the premium package -- what does it do -- how does it look? Thanks again!
  • 10speed10speed Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for both a coupe and sedan 335i, and the coupe was 400 more. Is anyone else seeing higher prices for the coupe? thanks
  • realcrapperrealcrapper Member Posts: 22
    I would skip the Cap Reduction, since that's like lighting money on fire. But other than that, it looks really good.

One thing, you should do the math on the 24 month lease, which for your car will have a residual of 74%. You may find that for a relatively small additional monthly amount, you'll have the ability to switch into a newer (better) car one year sooner. I have a 335i on order and it only changed my monthly by $25 to switch from a 36 to a 24. It also ups the "investment return" of your MSD's by a couple percentage points.

As for the factory ordering route, the waiting is the most brutal part. But I'm getting a car that's EXACTLY what I want so that makes it easier... I guess. ;)
    If you were previously a member of BMWCCA you'll also get the $500 rebates more often. That sorta softens the blow. ;)
  • charlieliucharlieliu Member Posts: 80
    I am new here. Can anyone explain what Money Factor, MSD, Cap Cost are? Are these terms related to financing? I always pay cash for a car, never financied before. So forgive me for asking these questions.
    Start here:

http://www.leaseguide.com/

Read that and then come back here.

MSDs = multiple security deposits. They are fully refundable deposits that knock your money factor down (by up to 0.00049). The savings on a 3 year lease usually relates to a 9-10% ROI.
    Real and BlueDot. brilliant advice, thank you. After your suggestion I did decide to go with the 24 month lease, and my pymt lowered to 428 including tax.. however it takes that 1500 cap reduction a cost of 750 a year as opposed to 500 a year when you spread it over 3 years.. I may take your advice and skip cap reduction altogether ---- you've led me right thus far.. why stop now? :)

Blue I was a member of BMWCCA 2005-2006 and let it lapse this year..do you think I would still qualify? Dealer knows nothing about BMWCCA rebate.. is it something you apply for directly from BMWCCA? I hope I don't end up kicking myself that I let the membership lapse..

as a side note I have a 05 BMW 325i, premium package, bmw assist, adaptive xenon and navigation, black on black leatherette. flawless, always garaged type of thing, only 6000 miles..(I work close to home and have long hours so that is why mileage is so low) what do you think I should price it at for a quick sale? Has anyone gone the Car Max route.. experience?

TIA
    Kick yourself. You apply through BMWCCA. Without current registration you may be in trouble. Contact BMW CCA and see if you can retroactively sign back up. Worth a shot. It's $500!

If you can, sell the car. You will lose a good 2-3k selling to a dealership. Many, many people want a BMW. They move quickly if they're priced within reason. Use edmunds used car evaluator to find the correct pricing. Be prepared for it to go lower than what they list.
    GET RID OF THE CAP REDUCTION!!! Trust me on this one. Actually, don't trust me, I'll go ahead and prove it to you.

If you capitalize all of the fees (Reg/Lic/CA Tire/Doc/Bank for a total of $1019.75 in CA)and scrap the cap red, your monthly payment for this configuration at $500 over invoice will come out to exactly $512.34. Yes, this is considerably higher than the $428/month you mention, HOWEVER... I don't think you were capitalizing your fees (in other words, building them into your monthly payment). That means you would have to pay fees ($1020) and cap red ($1500) up front. So you have two choices:

1) Pay $2720 now
    or
    2) Pay an extra $84 per month for 24 months

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that door #2 is your best bet. You actually save $700 over the next two years, and that's not even taking into account the time value of your money! Put that $2720 into a money market account getting you 5% and dip from that to 'reduce' your monthly payment. Heck put it in a shoe box, just DON'T PAY CAP REDUCTION!!!! ;)

P.S. I'm from LA too and I know a dealer that will be happy to do $400 over invoice on a custom order 328i Sedan and will even throw in floor mats. That'll take your monthly down to $508. PM me if interested.
    OK spoke with the salesperson who sold me my Z4 (figured I could get a good deal on the 328xi as well). I currently have no intention of moving forward with this dealer. Should I be as disgusted with this deal as I am?

This is what she's saying:
    36M/15K Lease

Sale Price: $1000 over invoice ("...and they're barely making profit")

Doc Fee: $250 ("This is a statewide fee I can't change because we may be sued for discrimination if I give it to you and not someone else")

Aquisition Fee: $775 ("The extra $150 is b/c the finance and delearship need to make money")

MF: 0.00215 ("The finance department has too make money...I can't touch that")

Residual: 61%...at least she got one number right

No Down Payment

$893.43 due at signing (320.25 TTL/Doc, 573.18 FMP)

So should I be as disgusted with these terms as I am?

Thanks,
    Jon
    OK spoke with the salesperson who sold me my Z4 (figured I could get a good deal on the 328xi as well). I currently have no intention of moving forward with this dealer. Should I be as disgusted with this deal as I am?

This is what she's saying:
    36M/15K Lease

Sale Price: $1000 over invoice ("...and they're barely making profit")

Doc Fee: $250 ("This is a statewide fee I can't change because we may be sued for discrimination if I give it to you and not someone else")

Aquisition Fee: $775 ("The extra $150 is b/c the finance and delearship need to make money")

Residual: 61%...at least she got one number right

No Down Payment

$893.43 due at signing (320.25 TTL/Doc, 573.18 FMP)

So should I be as disgusted with these terms as I am?

Thanks,
    Jon

I've got a copy of my 06 lease from a san diego dealer and there's the $55 doc fee. Hmmm, got a quote from another BMW/Mini dealer today and they have a $55 doc fee. This dealer bilks people like crazy it seems.

Every dealer is so scummy about acquisition fees. Only a few are straight and give you the $625 (if this doesn't happen Saturday with my 07 Mini Cooper S I'll walk).

I like to figure out the profit they're making with marked up MFs and throw it back at them:

Your profit over invoice is X, acquisition fee profit is Y, doc fees are Z and your bloated MF is ABC. Wanna talk about BMW's kickbacks for sales now?
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    Due to a change in careers, I am being forced to purchase a larger vehicle. I am currently leasing a 2006 BMW 330i with the Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Rear Park Distance Control, and Automatic Transmission (the car has almost every option other than navigation). The car is Black Sapphire (metallic black) with Black Dakota Leather and is in perfect condition. I have 16 payments (BMW Financial) remaining of $445 per month (plus applicable taxes). I am looking for a down payment of $2,000 to take over the lease.
    Try swapalease.com. You'll move it quickly over there. I found 4 buyers/lease assumers within a week.

BTW, best of luck with the request for 2k. People generally request incentives, not hand you money for the car.
    Your math sounded too good to be true, so I had to take a closer look. Well, I believe I found the flaw in your comparison.

Donna's $428 payment is with the $625 bank fee rolled in, i.e., not out of pocket. Therefore, your comparison should be:
    (1) pay $2,095 now,
    or
    (2) pay extra $84 for 24 months = $2,016.

Although option 2 still looks a little better, I am almost certain that there are other minor bugs to cause it looks that way. The numbers do not lie. There is no way the total payments will be less than the amount financed, unless you have negative interest rate.
    Your $2,000 down makes the effective monthly payment to be $570. One can get a nicely loaded 2007 335i for less than that with no down payment, much less with ED. Not going to be easy to find a taker, IMO.
    Hmmm, you're right. The numbers should be very close but with a very slight edge toward option #1. Note that her MF is extremely low so again the cap reduction is like loaning BMW money for almost nothing (so it's still a bad option), but yes something isn't right here.

Donna, you said before that this dealer was quoting you $500 over invoice. Can I get the detailed breakdown of that overall number?
  • rorymacrorymac Member Posts: 4
    I had a 2006 330i and found that after the 2007 came out the 06 330i's were undesireable. A buyer could order a 335 with much better performance for similar money or a 328 for less money with slightly less performance.

The 330i's may suffer resale problems as a result.
    They have. Myself and another guy tried to move our 2006 330is without any luck. I had it down at 32-33k and nobody was interested (MSRP of 43k). He tried for months and then gave up too.

Thankfully swapalease too care of it.
    Just because this was bugging me, I went back and reran the numbers from Donna's original post.

Donna, the only way I can get to your figure from your original post is if I plug $625 in for dealer profit, not $500.

So when I use the following numbers, I get the pretax payment amount of $401.83:

MSRP: $44,050
    Invoice: $41,689.95 (I had to plug this)
    Term: 36 Months
    MF: .00075
    Cap Reduction: $1,543.90
    Additional Capitalization: $625 (since you're building your bank fee into the monthly payment)
    Tax Rate: 8.25%

This gives me a pretax monthly payment of $401.83
    And a tax-included monthly payment of $434.98

But again, I had to plug $625 into dealer profit to get those. If I change the dealer profit to $500, those numbers change to $398.26 and $431.12.

And before anyone cracks back at me, I realize we're only talking $3 here, but still. Details are important!!! Right? :confuse:
    Boy, Real you are good. You're right I posted numbers where my paperwork showed invoice plus 500 plus 125 for floormats.. I know the salesman was marking the floor mats up (he told me invoice on them were 42 even..) and it was kind of a joke if he would throw them in or not..I am ok with the deal.. he's giving me top grade tint (because last time when I had navigation in my 05 BMW they told me not to get the windows tinted because it could affect GPS, but now it is ok because they have carbon tint..w) which is retail about 350 for he is giving me for 250. The salesman has been really wonderful, takes my phonecalls, very informative, and like you recommended I only pay drive off fees and skip cap reduction altogether..the few extra dollars is worth the cost of doing business with someone you trust and like..just for the long term of it..thanks for all your advice and taking the time going over the details.. but you bring up a good point. I am going to ask be charged seperately for the foormats and keep it off the deal.. reducing my cap cost by 125..I had my choce if I wanted the aqq fee in drive off or cap cost.. is there really any differnce? Donna
    You are good, realcrapper. Mystery solved.

Donna, congratulations on your new car.
    Congratulations on your purchase indeed, Donna, and I respect the notion of paying a little extra for good service. In the end, it's about your own personal definition of value.

One last word on capitalization of fees. Your MF is so low, that I would recommend capitalizing everything you possibly can and rolling it into the lease payment (the mats, the registration, doc and tire fees, bank fee, everything). By doing this, you are effectively borrowing money from BMW to pay for these items at a riduculously low rate (1.8% APR). The only thing you would pay to get out the door will then be your security deposit and the 1st month's payment.
    :shades:
  • bmwseekerbmwseeker Member Posts: 3
    yes, congrats......... :)
  • ikolnikoln Member Posts: 6
    Thank you oxacuu. This is very helful! I did not know that dealers could also mark up the MF. They told me it was 0.002 for march 2007 and it was set by BMW.

I wonder if April would bring better MF and Residual value on 36 month...
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    You can capitalize the first payment as well as the security deposit and would be well advised to do so. If you like, supply me with some details (i.e., MSRP, sell price, Acq. fee, sales tax rate, MF, Residual Factor, etc.) and I'll be glad to run the calculations.

I have found THREE HUGE PROBLEMS with many leasing software packages used by many dealers across the country and that is this...

When first payments a rolled into the lease (capitalized), they are (1) frequently calculated incorrectly which means that (2) sales tax is improperly calculated and, (3) lease contracts are often completed incorrectly; yet, fund providers often overlook it!!! Unbelievable!!! The funny thing is that I've programmed a TI-83/84 graphics calculator to perform any lease calculation imaginable. The clue is this... if you see a rolled in payment that DOES NOT MATCH or agree with the remaining payment streams, there is a problem! ALL PAYMENTS MUST BE IDENTICAL- INCLUDING THE ROLLED IN PAYMENT!

At any rate, this is what can happen when people, who aren't mathematicians, try to create complex lease software requiring some degree of mathematical expertise. I spent two days with a leading software developer in January explaining why his payment calculations are inaccurate. He finally agreed and promised to fix the error but, so far, hasn't done so... hmmmm. I also informed two Cleveland, Ohio area dealerships that I refuse to send them any more business unless (A) All calculations are performed correctly and (B) lease worksheets and contracts are completed correctly. I'm sick of dealership indifference, arrogance, and incompetence!

Consumers need to be more demanding and hold those with whom they do business accountable and responsible. There is too much incompetence in this country. And, so it's no wonder that we have to import foreign talent to do most of our math, science, and engineering! Yikes!!!
  • wbb56wbb56 Member Posts: 45
    How does the math look on this deal--I know the dealer is marking up the MF slightly:

2007 335i Sedan
    MSRP: $47,795.00
    Neg. Price: $45,755.00
    36 mos. 12k miles
    Residual 63%/$30,110.85
    Doc. fee: $99.50
    Sec. Deposits: $4800
    Taxes (NC): $746.39
    Total Initial Payment: $5618.17
    Monthly Payment: $571.68

Thank you very much!
  • megaphanimegaphani Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

i am in the market to buy a 06 used BMW and came across this deal with a private party. i am making an offer for 33000, Am i paying too much or is that price fair enough ?

YOur input would be very helpful in making my decision. THanks

Fully loaded 2006 BMW 330i in excellent condition
    with only 14,631miles.
    Registration paid through February 2008.
    Non-smoker car
    50k Bumper to Bumper Warranty
    50K Full-Maintenance Warranty
    Exterior:Titanium Silver, Interior: Black Leather

We are moving out of town, so car is priced to
    move quickly. KBB value in excellent condition is
    $39,010. Asking only $36,500. Clean Carfax report
    available.

Local sale only. No shipping. Thanks.

OPTIONS:
    Automatic Transmission/Steptronic
    Premium Package
    Sports Package
    Navigation System
    Stability Control
    Telescoping Wheel
    ABS (4-Wheel)
    Air Conditioning
    Traction Control
    Premium Sound(logic 7)
    Dual Front Air Bags
    Xenon Headlights
    Front Side Air Bags
    Moon Roof
    Dual Power Seats
    Leather
    MP3 (Single CD) AM/FM Stereo
    Sport Pkg
    DVD System
    Integrated Phone
    Premium Wheels
    Cruise Control
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    Re: #7552

wbbb56:

You're missing the money factor. Also, I have no clue how you arrived at a total initial payment of 5618.17. Could you itemize this? Also, are any sums being financed in this lease? If so, what and how much? What is your sales tax rate? It looks as though the sum of the payment streams are taxed. Why is the security deposit so high? Yee gads, that exceeds 8x the monthly payment!

I love doing the math but there are just too many unknowns for me to comment intelligently.
    Delta,
    I bow down to you and your TI-83/84. You have just brought something CRITICAL to my attention: the spreadsheet that I use to calculate all the diffent capitalization scenarios adds tax to the fees when I capitalize them, which is INCORRECT since there is no tax on these fees. Interestingly enough, I think the payment calculator on leaseguide.com makes the same mistake. Thanks very much for that very important detail!

Now, you mention that you can capitalize security deposits. I was told very explicitly that this was NOT possible. Is it possible that the ability to capitalize the security deposit(s) varies from state to state? If I could capitalize my security deposit, I would do it in a heartbeat. Any more detail you have on this would be very appreciated.
  • wbb56wbb56 Member Posts: 45
    Sorry for leaving so much out.. let's see if I can make this a little clearer..

The dealer quoted me a money factor of .00018 (marked up from .00016). I reduced the money factor to .000131 by making (7) additional security deposits of $600. Total of (8) for $4800. The additional amounts for the initial payment are: $571.68 (1st payment); $146.99 (upfront sales tax); $99.50 (doc fee)-for a total of $5618.17.

The total Cap Cost is $46,480.00--which much include an acquisition fee of $725 (marked up $100). The monthly Depreciation is $454.70; Monthly lease charge is $100.33=$555.03. Sales tax in NC is 3% ($16.65).. So the total lease is $571.68.

It all seems to make sense--but I'd like to make sure before signing the dotted line!

Thanks again!
  • bmwnbbmwnb Member Posts: 4
    Hello Delta,

Wow you are the lease guru aren't you? I leased 3 BMW's in the past (always from BMW Financial) and never had a clue about the lease tricks out there. Now I am in the market for a new BMW and before I go to a dealership I want to know what the lease terms are and not to be taken for a ride. What do I look for so I can get a good term like Donna did, I need a car now and don't have much time to shop around. I am looking into a 328 sedan with 10/12 miles a year. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Izabela
  • megaphanimegaphani Member Posts: 4
    Not even a single reply,is this exclusively for people leasing only or what ?