Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jabberjabber Member Posts: 64
    Insideman, put down the Kool-Aid man. You sound like every other sanctimonious BMW salesman. "No one stands by their product like BMW" Are you kidding me? If consumers shouldn't really be worried about $1,000 or $1,500 then why are you? There's no pride in paying more than you need to for something - just stupidity. :confuse:
  • dhkhandhkhan Member Posts: 30
    I'm looking at buying a new BMW right now and have been doing a lot of readings on the various forums.

On the subject of BMW standing behind their products, I suggest you check out bimmerfest.com discussions on the subjects of transmission problems on X3s and bumps on run-flat tires,and what BMW does (or not, as the case may be) to resolve these issues.

Having a 4/50K warranty is one thing, but it is how you deal with problems is what differentiates service.

When I buy my BMW I will just looking for a great driving and ownership experience, and see the dealer maybe just once a year for the scheduled service. Will be keeping my fingers crossed I will not be one of the few unlucky ones who have to go to the dealer to get anything fixed under warranty.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I actually know someone who is a general manager at a couple of dealerships in the area (not bmw). I've talked to him a few times and he has no reason to lie to me when he says that margins on selling new cars are ridiculously thin and he sometimes really does sell a car at a loss just to get it off his lot.

I personally have no problem with the dealer actually making a profit. However, it is not the consumer's responsibility to take pity on the dealer and pay more. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to help its distribution channel (i.e. car dealers) so that selling new cars is a profitable business. This is business after all and everyone is trying to negotiate in their own favor. If consumers don't mind paying $500 more (for pride, pity, or whatever), then the manufacturer will surely raise the invoice by $500 and eat up the dealer's profit. The poor guy doing the documentation and cleaning the car will still not get a dime out of that. The manufacturer will get $500 more and I will get, err, pride?
    This BMW lease is for a 10K miles per year, with $2,500 in cap cost reduction (ususally not recommended by the Hosts here, plus 700 fees, for a car with MSRP of $34,450.

A typically equipped car on a dealers lot will be close to $40K, plus if you need extra miles (12K?)or less months (24?)you will be at closer to $500-550 +tax (another $30-40?. As noted in post #8116, every extra thousand adds about $30 to the monthly payment.

I just got a quote for a $41K MSRP car with 10K miles, $0 down, 24 months $537 per month and 36 months $512 per month.

To help you negotiate better check out the lease rates information on bimmerfest.com "Ask A Dealer" forum, and compare the quotes you get using an on-line calculator such as at leaseguide.com. The dealers I have got quotes from have been very open with the fees and costs added in to their quotes, and using these I can match their quotes to my calculations to within a few cents.
  • mjk5mjk5 Member Posts: 43
    So $15k for total cost of lease before taxes was too good to be true?
    No, the $15k would be your cost for a car with the stated MSRP,money factor (MF)and acquisition fee with no markup. I was just trying to point out that it would be difficult to find a car without additional cost options at this point, and also dealers can mark up the MF by 0.0004 (adds 1% approx. to the interest rate, and the $625 acquisition fee up to $825, ending up with a higher monthly payment.

It is the end of the model year and there should be a lot of deals out there (+Labor Day Sale!!), so you might be able to get a really good deal that would work for you.
  • mjk5mjk5 Member Posts: 43
    How low could I get the cost of the total lease? Like I said this is on the border of me being able to afford this car, like I'd like to get it down to 14-15k with taxes for total cost of the lease, is that possible?
  • 328isosa328isosa Member Posts: 4
    I made a deposit on a brand new 328i about two weeks ago.The dealer said when I initially placed the deposit the car would be here by now from South Africa.Typically speaking how long should it take to get from South Africa to Miami,Florida? The car shipped on July 26.Is the dealer fooling me around?
  • dittykbdittykb Member Posts: 4
    Maybe this isn't the right board but here goes.

I have a friend of a friend that is able to buy at wholesale auctions. Assuming the Carfax report comes back clean does this look like a good deal to you all?

2006 330i
    Black/Black
    Sport Package
    30,000 miles
    $28000

I see them on autotrader going for 32-36k.
  • eyedrbeyedrb Member Posts: 4
    looks amazing to me. I wish I had better friends. :)
  • sddriversddriver Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I bought a 2006 325i yesterday as a CPO. The car has 11,2xx miles; and comes with the sport, premium & cold weather packages; as well as metallic paint and four brand new run flat tires (original tires apparently did not meet CPO spec and were replaced).

I paid $30,500 + TTL, which seemed OK to me (lower than TMV anyway) -- perhaps it helped that I bought this car on the last day of the month.

I bought a 2006 because I like the shape (I know some don't) and because I wanted to get something with as much warranty & maintenance as possible. This car gives me about 3 years / 40K of maintenance, and 5 years / 90K of warranty with CPO. I did not buy the extended 2 year maintenance contract after speaking to a few friends with similar cars, and because I know I can always go back and buy it later if I really want it.

Thanks to Edmunds and those on the forums for helping me make a well-informed decision.
  • tgoulettgoulet Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

The "Costco" deal offered to me by BMW Northwest here in Seattle on 36 mo./20K lease for a new '07 328i base sedan with Steptronic, heated seats, and sparkling graphite is as follows:

MSRP: $35,425
    Cap. cost: $34,200
    Depreciation factor: 54.65%
    Lease end value: $19,359.25
    Cap. cost reduction: $2550.54
    Adjusted Cap cost: $32474.66
    MF: .00155
    Acquisition fee: $825
    Base Monthly payment: $444.65
    Tax (9.1%): 40.46
    Total payment: $485.11
    Total downpayment: $3500

The Costco "deal" is supposedly $1140. over invoice which doesn't sound like such a great deal vs. others who have posted here. What is fair? Besides this and the acquistion fee that seems $200 high, is there anything else that looks out of line?

Thanks!
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    Does anyone know what the current MF is on a 2007 335i? I know it's not as low as a 328i, but wondering how much more it is.

Thanks.
  • guptanxguptanx Member Posts: 2
    BMW website has a 36 moth 369 a month 10 K with 3.2k Down for 328xi.

I don't really know much about leases but since this is from BMW's website could I negotiate a bit more and get it down a little more? Is this a great deal? Will dealer have a car like this on his lot?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/3/2007328xiSedan/programs.htm?PanelID=4&duration=- 36
  • smg8smg8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am a first time buyer and have the following quote. Please tell me if this is ok

34695/-
    for 2007 Blue Metallic 328i 4dr sedan
    auto, power seats, heated seats, ipod adapter (invoice is 33950/-)

also, it seems that there are very ltd 2007 328i options available in the north east, is that true?
    thanks a lot
  • guptanxguptanx Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am also planning to lease 328xi from Knauz IL. Can you please share more details about your lease- montly payments,down payment,cap cost,res value, MF etc.

This will really help me.
    Thanks,
    NGupta
  • eagle718eagle718 Member Posts: 13
    I live in South Jersey and saw a 2007 328i Auto with premium package and sports package, Demo, MSRP was about $41k. Do you guys think it is possible to get this car at about $35k before taxes and title, since it is a demo? I'm not sure how many miles are on it.

Also, does anyone know what the current financing rates are for BMW, for 60 months with great credit? Thanks.
  • sfmarssfmars Member Posts: 13
    I went by the Weatherford BMW dealer and talked to a new salesperson about ordering a 335i coupe. She had mentioned that I had to put down a 1k deposit and that I was only able to negotitate the price on the car when it arrives in 3-months. Is this the typical process? I assumed that you would negotiate the price before it arrived. Am I wrong?

The car I want lists MSRP at $48950 with an invoice of $45020 (335i coupe MT, sport, premium, nav, cold weather pkg, ipod integration). Anyone have any idea what kind of deal I can get on this car out the door?

Thanks a lot.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    With any car... you should negotiate prior to ordering it.

That stated, you might have a hard time negotiating much of a discount on a 335i coupe.. Supply/demand seems to dictate a price close to MSRP. But, whether it is MSRP, or $500 off, they should commit to it before you agree to order it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the info kyfdx.

Just curious, has anyone had any luck getting a better price on a 335i coupe by going to a Autobroker?
  • scout10scout10 Member Posts: 2
    Ok I don't even know if I got a bad deal or not it was so freakin' confusing. I just leased a:

328i black, basic model, auto trans leatherette upholstery.
    12,000 miles per year, 36 month lease
    $2,061 TOTAL down (which includes $825 acquistion fee that I didn't know about, first month w/tax $435, security, $450, cap cost reduction $261.71, and taxes)
    My monthly is $435 includes tax
    Cap Cost is $33,320
    My residual value is $21,703.50 which I think is high
    Then this other fee which I did know about $350 disposition fee if I don't purchase the car
    And where is this Money factor thing on the lease?
    Ok I probably sound clueless but did I just get taken for a "ride" or not?
  • eagle718eagle718 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know the current finance rates for BMW? Thanks.
  • jr2219jr2219 Member Posts: 7
    Base Price $32,400
    Auto $1275.00
    Premium Package $3250.00
    Sport Package $1600.00
    Xenon Lights $800
    Metallic Paint $475.00
    Destination $775.00

Total as equipped $40,575.00
    Selling Price $38,930.00
    Term 36 months, 12k year
    Bank Fee $825 -
    Total Cap Cost $39,755.00
    Residual Value $25,562.25
    Total Depreciation $14,006.43
    Cap Reduction $186.32
    Monthly Depreciation $389.07
    Monthly Rent $100.95
    Monthly $490.02
    + Tax (7.75%) 37.98
    =$528 a month
    Cap Reduction $186.32
    Cap Reduct tax $17.93
    License & Reg $322.75
    Document Fee $45.00
    First Payment $528.00
    Due at signing $1100
    Residual 63% MF 1.55
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... We all discount cars but invoice or anything less that $1600 over invoice should not be discussed. Half of our cars are not even discounted (I live in North Carolina) Afterall, it only changes your payment $32 dollars and then you can take great pride in the feeling that you have achieved something great...A BMW and did not have to go in a ask for a discount! Just something for you to think about. Keep some pride!

And to think, anybody on these forums, salespersons included, would call a person a fool if they go into a dealership and just buy a car at sticker with no negotiations. So is it pride to pay more for a car when you don't have to or foolishness??
  • bmwinsidemanbmwinsideman Member Posts: 7
    If you quote me I would only ask that you read my statments before you copy and paste without reading. Hey stop cutting and pasting. Start typing and reading. I think if you read correctly then I said you should be happy that you can buy a car a year later that is still being sold at sticker ( 328 and 335 coupes and convertibles). We are after all preserving your trade and residuals values. I am not being snobby, I am just stating facts. Think about it. I know your money is important to you as it should be. But at some level when you start thinking about BMW's stop thinking about your purchase experience you had with Nissan, Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai. You are wasting time $500 bucks when you could have purchased two weeks ago. Hey work a deal but not forever. $500 is going to change your payment $10 per month and a lease payment of $15 bucks. I want you guys to just enjoy the experience. Any deal you get is a great one. I am just writing this after driving a 2002 M3 we just got in. Enjoy!
  • trewquistrewquis Member Posts: 30
    I'm hardly going to listen to moralizing from a car salesman. In the end, we all want to be happy with our purchase, be it a Kia or a BMW, and nobody wants to pay more for the exact same item as someone else did. How would you feel if you were at McDonalds and you were asked to pay $5 for a Big Mac, when they guy in front of you just paid $3.50. Nobody at the supermarket would tolerate being asked to pay an extra $10 for the cashier to scan their items, yet car dealers have the gall to ask for hundreds of dollars to ring up a deal AFTER the price has been agreed to.

When car salesman stop claiming $x over invoice while demanding things like dealer prep for $500, paperwork for $300, marking up acquisition fees, marked up MF rates, double secret promotion fees, then customers would not need to be neurotic about being cheated. If car dealers had to abide by at least some ethical standards, then these deals would get done a lot faster. Blaming the customer is not going to help develop trust in this area.

Another point, if the $500 is so unimportant - then why do you guys fight for it tooth and nail? It cuts both ways, you could also give in and the deal would get done a lot faster.
  • bmw328leasebmw328lease Member Posts: 17
    Your quote seems to be in the ballpark +/- $10-15 p.m.

I was quoted $435 (incl. tax) for the exact same spec in CA. However, the drive off was $1650 (which includes $825 acquistion fee, first month w/tax $435, license, tax & reg $283, doc fee $45, and the balance as taxes).

The dealer used a MF of 0.0018 and said it would be 0.00165 if I was an existing BMW customer.

I believe with the security deposit of $450, you should have been able to bring the monthly down a little bit. With some more negotiations you could have probably got it for around $420 with taxes and $1600-$1800 drive off.

So overall I think you got a decent deal and did not get taken.

Which state are you in and who was the dealer?
  • dojo75dojo75 Member Posts: 9
    This may be a late post but I am in the market for the exact same car with the same options. All the dealerships are telling me that they do not discount the coupes especially not the '08 models that have to be pre-ordered. As of yesterday I now have two dealerships battling it out and have currently at 2.5% discount off sticker. on a 50K car that comes out to about $1,250 off sticker. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Sorry, I am responding to the request about quotes for a 2008 BMW 335i coupe.
    Thanks for the info dojo75. I was actually offered a 3% discount recently or $1500 off sticker. Of course me being the penny pincher I am, I was trying to find a better deal still. Good luck to you too!
    Keep us posted, your 3% is better than my 2.5%...lol
  • yadappbyadappb Member Posts: 3
    Forum guru's... How is this deal...? looking for some advice
    Packages
    Cold Weather package
    Steptronic auto transmission
    Power front seats with driver seat memory
    Navigation system
    Bluetooth
    ipod and USB adapter
    Metallic paint
    MSRP: $41920.00
    Sale price: $39500.00
    Taxes and documentation etc ($333/-)
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know if the 335 sedan for 08' will have a new rim for the sport pakage? Or will it be the same as the 06' 330 and the 07' 335 sprt pkg sedan? Is the coupe faster than the sedan? Maybe this is a non issue as the 135 coupe will be faster than both. Then the 335d turbo d with 270 hp I think and 428lb trq will surely be faster considering the 428lb of trq is at 1600 rpm
  • scout10scout10 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply. I kinda needed that reassurance. I also live in California, Sherman Oaks the one on Van Nuys Blvd.
  • 328isosa328isosa Member Posts: 4
    Im in a bit of a dillema. I put a deposit towards a 2007 328i with Steptronic. Ive been doing alot of research and am really interested in the 328i Sport Package.It costs a bit more but overall is that sport package really worth it?
  • hartman14hartman14 Member Posts: 1
    I'm shopping to order an '08 328xi coupe. Given the apparent popularity of the coupe, what is a fair and reasonable deal? I know they sold very fast during the 2007 model year, and have been very hard to find for the past several months in upstate NY and New England. Should I expect to pay the sticker price or close to it? Thanks for any insights, informed opinions.
    335i with Sports Pkg, Metallic Paint
    36mt, 12k miles
    $0 down
    MSRP: $43225
    Selling Price: $41000
    MF: 0.00175
    1 Security Deposit
    $1550 drive off
    $570 p.m. (incl. tax)

Is this a good deal??
    When purchasing a new BMW, has anyone considered buying the extended maintenance (100K/6years)? The price is around 1900/-. Seems reasonable especially after 50K as most of the problems will likely come up then.
    I think the list price on the extended maintenance is around $1495... That isn't a warranty, though... That only extends the "free" maintenance plan.

The extended warranty price is around $2300-$2500..

I'd suggest waiting until closer to the expiration of the original warranty and/or maintenance plan, before purchasing an extension.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx, I did not know if they would let me buy this at a later time (end of 50K/4years). In any case between the two which do you think is a better option?
    The maintenance allows free oil change and regular checkups including the brakes etc.

thanks
    A lot of that is going to depend on how many miles you drive your car each year.. If you only drive 8K-9K each year, then neither plan is going to be very cost effective..

If you put 100k on in six years, then either plan may pay for itself..

Either way, you can purchase either plan at any time before the original plan expires. I would wait.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kjenkins696kjenkins696 Member Posts: 27
    Anyone know the money factors and residuals for all 3 series vehicles for Sept? Are they unchanged from Aug?

I'm specifically looking for a 328xi sedan, but it would be helpful if I could see the numbers for the other 3 series cars as well.
  • birdlivsbirdlivs Member Posts: 18
    Hi,

I found these at another site. Looks like the same as last month. Confirmation from our Host here would be great!

BMW Financial Services Lease Programs – 9/6/07

For lease programs shown in BOLD, a bank lease program may have lower payments. Click on a vehicle name to compare current bank lease programs through LeaseCompare.com.

2008 MODELS

2008 BMW 528i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 73% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 44% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 35% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2008 BMW 528xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 43% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 35% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 42% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 34% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 42% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535xi Wagon
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 38% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 30% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2008 BMW 550i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 69% of MSRP – .00245 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 59% of MSRP – .00245 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 37% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 29% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2008 BMW M5 Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 MODELS

2007 BMW 328Ci Coupe
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00160 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00160 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 40% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 32% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328xi Coupe
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00165 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .0016 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 41% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 33% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 39% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00150 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00150 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328i Wagon
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00240 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00240 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328xi Wagon
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate

2007 BMW 328i Convertible
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 36% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 335i Coupe
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00200 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00200 Base Rate

2007 BMW 335i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00175 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00175 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 33% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 335xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00190 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00190 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 41% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 335i Convertible
    24 Month – Residual 69% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 59% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 36% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 650Ci Coupe
    24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate

2007 BMW 650CiC Convertible
    24 Month – Residual 69% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 59% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 46% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 39% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW M6 Coupe
    24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 37% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW M6 Convertible
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 59% of MSRP – .00275 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 45% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 38% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 750i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 31% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 25% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 750Li Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 26% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW 760Li Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 47% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 30% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW Alpina B7 Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 49% of MSRP – .00250 Base Rate

2007 BMW X3 3.0si 4WD SUV
    24 Month – Residual 75% of MSRP – .00215 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 65% of MSRP – .00215 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 36% of MSRP – .00310 Base Rate

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4WD SUV
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4WD SUV
    24 Month – Residual 68% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of
  • kjenkins696kjenkins696 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks so much fo these numbers. . . Am I assuming correctly that the residuals are based on 15K per year, and that you can add a point for 12K and another for 10K?
    Add 2% for 12K
    Add 3% for 10K (1% more than 12K)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• manufanmanufan Member Posts: 5
    Just order a 328i from a dealer yesterday for $36850 (destination and tax are not included)

Montego Blue
    Black Leather w/ Aluminum Trim
    Premium Package
    STEPTRONIC
    Comfort access

There are no Montego Blue in my area so I have to order one. They claim they didn't put any mark up on this car. Also, they wouldn't give me any discount since this is an order...well, I am not sure that is true! So, is this a reasonable deal? Please advise!!
    MSRP is $37,900 (without Destination)
    Invoice is $35,425 (without Destination)
    Add $775 for destination.

The difference between what you are paying and the invoice is $1425. I am guessing that should be $825 for Acquisition Fee, $180 for traning fee and $380 for MACO. Try and get this point clarified.

More important, you need to know the final price. By telling you that taxes are not included the dealer might try to slip in the 3 fees (above). Always get the details in writing - have the dealer email / fax you a detailed quote.

Also, per my understanding and research there is a limited choice of 2007 models available. BMW has already stopped production of the '07s. Most dealers claim that the last batch of '07s is en route. Anything ordered now will end up being a 2008 model (final price unknown at this point) and will be delivered end-Oct or early November.

When are you going to get your car? The delivery date will determine whether the dealer is really ordering one for you or just getting it from another dealer.

Hope this helps.
  • manufanmanufan Member Posts: 5
    Hi bmw328lease,
    Thanks for the information.

As far as I know, he did a search for me in the near by area that my request is not available. He said the same thing that the production for '07 has stopped. So, he said my car will be a '08 and it takes about 6 - 8 weeks to be delivered. He is trying to order it today via their internal process. I still haven't heard from him yet. I shall see the number soon and keep you posted.
  • billphrabillphra Member Posts: 1
    I am a sales manager (eCommerce Director actually) at a BMW center. I have worked for seven makes over my career. The onus for the current mistrust is squarely the dealers' fault dating to decades ago. However, the explosion of the Internet has created a whole new set of problems. First, customers think their salesperson is able to affect the pricing on any vehicle or option or accessory. They don't. Sales managers do. They are in turn responsible to implement policies set by the General Management and Ownership. What they (as managers or as salespeople)can or cannot sell a hot car for is a condition of employment. It would be no different than blaming Wal-Mart for charging sales tax. The government dictates tax rates the same way owners dictate sales pricing policy.

The truth is that buying cars at or below invoice, even if a manager is willing to do so is not fair play. Commission structures vary by region but run roughly thus: $50.00 - $200.00 per delivered sale within $500.00 of invoice. The average sales rep sells ten cars per month. If all consumers paid within these ranges, do the math. Fact is the average rep makes $32,000 or so per year working 60 plus hours a week. The average manager at the desk makes twice that running a sales department of 10-20 sales reps.

Simple need to feed your family requires the dealership to make profit where consumers less equipped will allow it. If MacDonalds charged the learned consumer $1.00 for a BigMac, then they would have to either close up or charge the ignorant $9.00 to make up the difference (assuming only half the public were informed).

But when it comes to cars, more people are looking for the unbeatable deal. Some balance must be struck here. The 328 coupe is at or near sticker, while the sedan is at or below invoice. If you want champaign, pay for it. If you just want a buzz, well there are alternatives. This is a free economy after all.
  • birdlivsbirdlivs Member Posts: 18
    Hello and thanks for this message.

We the informed buying public try to do the best we can for our families as well. This includes getting the best possible deal on a new car and feeling comfortable with the purchase. The problem that I have encountered is after exhaustive research, I present what is fair, based on the Edmunds Invoice, for both parties to do well. What I have found is that the first instinct of the dealer is to say that this information is wrong. They them lay out a sheet of paper saying what their invoice is. This is always at least a $1000 more than the data available. So, what are we supposed to do? My first instinct is to not believe a single word that comes out of their mouths.

You mentioned that the 328 sedans are selling at or below invoice. This is the car I am interested. When I pull the Edmund inovice, what is added to that to arrive at the "dealers invoice? I want to make it a fair deal, but as far as I can tell, the dealer just puts some formal looking paper in front of you and says this is my inovice"

I appreciate the hard work and long hours you put in at the dealership in support of your family and the larger "company" that you work for. Please inform me, so I can be fair with you as well.

Regards,
    Brian