Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dddaddda Member Posts: 5
    extended to 02/09 because of 33% drop of profit in July.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    It's gonna get uglier considering only two automakers showed any real gains this month (Minin and MB?!).
  • ombrownombrown Member Posts: 1
    How did you do this!!!!! Tomorrow I am hoping to puchase a 328i w/ those features plus xenon, power seats for 38,400. .9 Finance (I ws told they honor through August) I thought I was getting a good deal b/c the list is a little over 40,000. I am in NC. Love to hear what you did.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    There will be an increase and less dicounting for awhile so the 2008s can be cleared out without people saying why get an '08 if I can get an '09 for about the same price.
    However, after all 2008s are all gone, you can bet 2009s will be discounted to near the same level eventually.
  • dddaddda Member Posts: 5
    38400 is a rip-off. at least you should get the invoice price because it is buyer market. I got $500 below the invoice. my dealer is really nice and I wanna give him all 5s for the survey. Get a couple of quotes then level with each other. Why do you wanna Xenon? no benefit and only harm other driver's eyes. I prefer road hazard with $800 for 5 years. My friend changed his all 4 RUN-FLAT tires in 2 years. each costed him $350.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Why do you wanna Xenon? no benefit and only harm other driver's eyes. I prefer road hazard with $800 for 5 years. My friend changed his all 4 RUN-FLAT tires in 2 years. each costed him $350.

1. If you ever drive in non-city areas Xenon headlights are a godsend. People that say otherwise, have never used them in non-urban environments.

2. Road hazard are $800 is worthwhile? Really? Sell the RFTs on craigslist for $800 and that'll almost buy you real tires - Pilot Sports for instance.

3. $350 tires on a BMW = cheap all-seasons which inhibit the car's performance potential.
  • i_am_i_saidi_am_i_said Member Posts: 2
    I live in Orange County California and this was the best offer I got from 2 local dealerships today. Good deal?

335i jet black exterior, black interior
    Premium package
    iPod
    12k miles
    36 month lease

Selling price: 42,474
    544 a month, INCLUDING tax
    Total down including all taxes/fees: 3,500
    MF: .00195
    58% resid

Does NOT have sport or navi.
  • dlooneydlooney Member Posts: 1
    Paid $52,445 for the following car today:

It was sitting on a lot for a couple of months. I guess white is not as popular here in the upper midwest. The folks in my home town of San Diego wouldn't mind this color due to the heat in the summer...

Thoughts? Good deal?

My 335i Convertible
    3.0-liter, turbocharged inline 6-cylinder engine
    Rear-wheel drive
    See all standard features
    Base MSRP $49,500
    Alpine White $0
    Saddle Brown/Black Dakota Leather $0
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim $0
    Cold Weather Package $750
    Premium Package $1,650
    Sport Package $1,400
    Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters $100
    STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $1,325
    Comfort Access with Comfort Loading and Open $500
    iPod and USB adapter $400
    Satellite radio with 1 year subscription $595
    Destination & Handling: $825
    Total MSRP as Built $57,045
  • mlocamloca Member Posts: 15
    Sticker was $49,500 (premium, nav, ipod, leather)
    Walked out the door with it for $45,200 with .9 for 60 months. I even financed the maintenance plan for $1,750 (covers everything but tires to 100K miles).

Seemed like a good deal.

It's a blast to drive so far.
  • stephendstephend Member Posts: 19
    Just received my 328xi this past week. I am looking to buy an outdoor car cover. Does anybody know what is the best outdoor car cover - buying a bmw outdoor car cover from the dealer or are there manufacturers that make better car covers.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,356
    Agreed. It sounds like that buyer is primarily concerned with the image rather than performance.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• psyevolutionpsyevolution Member Posts: 26
    premium package. navigation+xenon light
    what would be the best price for this car
    i want to know that OTD price
    i got a quote price 37000+tax.08375+dmv =45000
  • userlauserla Member Posts: 10
    Picked it up last week.

328i coupe - Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / Grey Poplar Trim
    Steptronic
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Paddle Shifters
    iPod adapter

MSRP - $44,800
    Invoice (via Edmunds) - $41,250
    MF - 0.00165 (buy rate + 0.00015 - new BMW customer)
    Residual - 57% (36 month, 12k miles)
    Selling price on lease - $41,305
    Drive-offs - DMV, doc, 1st month, $625 acquisition fee
    Monthly - $544.97 + tax
  • mero350zmero350z Member Posts: 1
    Ownership Loyalty Program was extended to all buyers (read NEW BMW customers) from July through September 2.

For a 328i Coupe, I believe your MF should have been base rate - .0004 (.00185-.0004= .00145)
  • elcapeoelcapeo Member Posts: 2
    2008 335xi Sedan (Metallic Paint, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Sport Package with Paddle Shifters, Steptronic Transmission, iPod and USB adapter, Navigation System) - MSRP $50225 on the actual window sticker with $775 Destination Charge included. Edmunds lists the car with above options as MSRP $51000; invoice of $46,950.

Our purchase price was $45,867 (around $45,580 based on Edmunds calculator here - http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/bmw/3series/100946474/calculator.html) but the real number that we used (as we did 100% financing with the 0.9% deal) was $49,000 even on the road (with all taxes and fees) so to speak as we live in MD where the sales tax is 6%. We turned down all of the additional dealer service options and they threw in free floor mats. Fairly good deal? (Purchased on 07/30/2008)
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    :confuse: I dunno, but why is it many people (not specifically you, elcapeo) think getting free floor mats or mud guards is such a steal from a dealer? I mean, you really ARE paying for them, they're just not on the invoice...and they're still making a tidy profit, otherwise they wouldn't sell you the car for the price you earnestly negotiated!! :confuse:
    Z
  • hchen45hchen45 Member Posts: 6
    How is this Texas deal? 328i, Alpine White, Premium Package, Sport Package, Sport steering wheel w/ paddles, STEPTRONIC automatic trans., Xenon headlights, iPod and USB adapter.

M.S.R.P. - $41,200
    Edmonds Invoice - $37,950
    Sale Price - $37,905
    Total Drive Out cost - $40,535.98
  • lchen8lchen8 Member Posts: 6
    One of my friend just bought one 328i base model with auto transmission.
    The price is 30K include dest. OTD is around 33K. Plus 0.9% rate.
    I guess BMW delars willing to cut price to lower than invoice to clear up 08 model because 09 model will come soon with new facelift and iDriver.
  • dtd1dtd1 Member Posts: 10
    Dealers are still getting cash from BMW equal to the cost of the auto transmission (little over $1200), so they're able to sell under invoice and still make a profit. Combined with 0.9% financing, this is about as aggressive as BMW has been in a very long time.
  • icecreamyummyicecreamyummy Member Posts: 3
    would you please tell me your dealer and salesman name? Do you get free floor mates and mud guards ? what color is your car? I am searching a good price in mid-west area (Chicago), but no any dealer would offer a good price? I need some advice of it because I want to find a 328i Sedan for my husband whose birthday is 9/1. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • maiboxmaibox Member Posts: 3
    On the BWM USA website listing the financing special it says:

"* Be sure to ask your BMW center about adding an automatic transmission at no cost."

May be a stupid question, but are the dealers getting the $1,200 on only automatic cars or is the money available on manuals, as well?
  • aa134469aa134469 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am preparing to make an offer and wondering how you know this for sure? It would really help me to be confident about my low offer.

Jamie
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,098
    When they first started the "free automatic" promotion, it was on all cars... Now, they only get the incentive on cars that actually have the automatic..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx.

I'm looking at a 335xi, manual, premium, sport, cold weather with sticker of $47,325. Invoice is about $43,500. Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay?
    It all depends on your dealer... A really good price would be $44K-$44.5K, but there is no guarantee your dealer will go that low.. You might have to introduce some competition by shopping around..

Of course, the 0.9%, 60 month financing is in effect, as well... That's worth an easy $3K-$4K over the life of the loan.....

Good luck!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

They offered $44k and then I introduced the trade but they really low balled it.
    Ahhh.. yeah.. the trade always gums up the works..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dhander1dhander1 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased for 43210 +ttl. Automatic, metallic paint, sports, premium, cold, paddle shifters, ipod.
  • dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    i may be prejudging here but this post totally reminds me of those silly car commercials around christmas time where the wife "surprises" the husband with a brand new mercedes or lexus. that husband probably knew about the car already because he has to work so hard to pay for it and saw the bill why the wife sits at home eating bon bons. just my two cents.
    dhander1, can you tell me which dealer you got your deal from? Many thanks!
  • dhander1dhander1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought it from Keeler BMW in Latham NY. BTW, they had two similar cars on the lot but were xi's and three i's coming in later in the month. I told the salesman that I was interested in one on the lot and one on the boat. He went back to the mgr and flat out offered the car at $1000 below invoice! I've never run into a situation where their first offer was lower than what I was ready to negotiate to. Also my buddy bought a 335i coupe manual, sport with wheel upgrade, premium, navi, ipod, sat radio, comfort access for 48k and some change.
    Thanks for the info. I gave them a call.
  • teeeyeteeeye Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I bought an '07 335xi with Premium, Sport (w/all season tires - ContiProContact, not Bridgestone), and Cold Weather packages with Backup Sensors exactly 1 year and 1 day ago. I included a LoJack with early warning for $995 and all the other stuff like MA inspection sticker, doc prep fee, RMV fee (yes, they call this place Taxachusetts), and of course, the Uncle Sam of $1,762.25.

The dealership actually called yesterday to wish my 335xi a Happy Birthday! Of course, the sales person knew I was inquiring about spending another 40K or so, so talk is cheap, I guess! Still it was nice. How many of you actually pat your dashboard when your car does an amazing emergency maneuver and saves your bacon, yet again, and say "Good car! Gooood car!" HA! I saw you!

The whole thing was $47,615. The car itself I got for $44,500. I got $300 less than they were asking. Not much, but as I'm sure a lot of you would agree, it made me feel good that night when I went to sleep and felt that, at least, I got a small victory.

I love the car. I treat it well, I don't speed (much), I change the oil at the 7,500 mile interval without resetting the counter, I've had the right front wheel bearings replaced under warranty, and I convinced my BMW dealership that there was no reason that my car shouldn't have an oil cooler just because the wheels were 1" smaller than the 335i w/Sport. They paid me the equivalent fee, $1,800 for the install - net zero cost to me.

On Sunday, I believe that I will buy a 328xi for my wife. Nothing like 530 hp and 8 wheel drive! She now has a '95 318ti with 136K miles. Time to upgrade, I think.

Good luck with your purchase. Even if it's a little stretch and the money income isn't likely to stop any time soon, go for it. There's nothing like the feel of standing on the gas in 3rd at 2000 RPM and seeing that little tach needle reach for the sky, the sound of the engine and the kick in the [non-permissible content removed] from those little turbos!

It's a hoot!

Regards,

xeye (soon to be XEYE SQUARED
  • emli13emli13 Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if you can tell me which dealer/city your friend was able to get the 328i automatic OTD ~33k ? Thanks.
  • hoinoyhoinoy Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have experience buying a 335XI sedan in Philly area? If so, what are you paying? Can I expect invoice or just below invoice prices with current AT deal and 0.9% financing? Thanks
  • elcapeoelcapeo Member Posts: 2
    If you are willing to drive down to the Baltimore area, you can check out Russel BMW (www.russelbmw.com), and ask for CA Chris Lee. I believe he has one AT 335xi left (silver) and will probably get you below invoice.
  • teeeyeteeeye Member Posts: 7
    Really? Why would they sell below invoice? Does it cost that much to carry the inventory that they can (presumably) take a loss? It's all but impossible to find out if the BMW dealerships get a manufacturer's discount on the cars they sell. They tout the "7% mark-up" over invoice but any time anyone touts the company line so often I tend to start doubting it.

Any comments?
  • 4runnerguy14runnerguy1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I put in an offer last night for a 328i with only the following options in Houston Area:

2008 BMW 328i
    -- Metallic Paint
    -- Auto Transmission

-- MSRP: $35400 including destination
    -- Offer Price: $31700 + TT&L and it looks like it will get accepted.

Let me know what you guys think.
  • amirvamirv Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys I just bought a 335i sedan this weekend and I thought I'd share my car buying experience. I managed to buy the car for a few hundred dollars dealer profit!

Tips for getting the best deal:

* Get the pre June and post June invoice numbers. Cars that were purchased pre-June are a much better deal because you save around $600. I would punch these numbers into an excel sheet for your configuration so you know the real invoice prices up front. It's best to crunch these before talking to any dealer:
    Sept 07: http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/MY08E90.pdf
    June 08: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...8&d=1213918366

Purchase price formula for a 335i:
    invoice_price + maco (400) + training (180) - automatic_option_credit (1260) + dealer_profit.
    (MACO is region dependent. This was from Fremont BMW)

* Get the actual invoice sheet of the car you want to buy. This way you know if it was priced with the pre-june or post-june 08 prices. If a dealer refuses to give you this then find another dealer.

* I recommend you finalize the price of the car over the phone or via email. If you try to finalize the price of the car in person you may end up paying more because you may be tempted to close the deal.

* Dealers tend to have more time on the weekdays then weekends. So you might try calling on a weekday.

* If you can't find a car with the options you want then call other dealers. Even if they tell you that the car doesn't exist on the computer in the entire bay area call. This is because some cars are not on the computer. You might get lucky like I did.

* When you go in person to finalize the deal or if you make the deal in person, make sure you have a friend (or two in my case) that is thinking clearly on your behalf.

* Note that the finance guy will try to sell you the world (it's his job). Be prepared for it. My friends helped me here also. I didn't buy anything except an alarm system - figured might as well install it as part of the car purchase.

* Find a salesperson who is easy to work with, knows their stuff, and isn't going to hustle you. If you can find the car you want in Fremont BMW, then I highly recommend working with Alma Jimenez.

* Never pay for the floor matts. Good dealers thow it in.

* If you're going to do the deal in person definitely bring a laptop where you can use excel to crunch numbers.

My complete post is on bimmerfest. Not much more there but a dealer recommendation and some other tips.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303992

Good luck!
  • purchasingsoonpurchasingsoon Member Posts: 74
    cool good post, thanks for the great info! just one question, can you clarify the dealer_profit? what should that be typically? thanks.
  • thechosonthechoson Member Posts: 32
    Hi all.

I am considering getting a 328i fairly soon to take advantage of the 0.9% financing. For those who have taken advantage of that financing, how stellar does your credit have to be?

My credit is above average but not excellent (high 600s, low 700s depending on agency), and my wife is likewise in the low 700s.

Would this generally be enough to qualify?

Thanks
  • bragosabragosa Member Posts: 4
    4runnerguy1,
    which Houston dealer?
  • soupconsoupcon Member Posts: 25
    they told me at crevier bmw that it is essentially pass/fail when it comes to these special rates and threw out a number of 680.... Fwiw.
  • sumitacesumitace Member Posts: 2
    Does this sound like a good deal in NJ?

328xi, Premium, Cold Weather, Automatic, Navigation, Xenon.

41k + Taxes, Title, etc.
    I don't think so.
  • 4runnerguy14runnerguy1 Member Posts: 6
    Its Momentum BMW on US-59 but my deal is not finalized yet. Will keep you guys updated .. Thanks ...
  • sumitacesumitace Member Posts: 2
    Hey hchen45, any particular reason why?
  • amirvamirv Member Posts: 2
    "
    cool good post, thanks for the great info! just one question, can you clarify the dealer_profit? what should that be typically? thanks.
    "

I'm happy you liked the post. As for your question:

Purchase price formula for a 335i:
    invoice_price + maco (400) + training (180) - automatic_option_credit (1260) + dealer_profit.
    (MACO is region dependent. This was from Fremont BMW)

The dealer_profit part of this formula I think depends on the car and the dealer. I remember somewhere reading that it is between $300-1k. But I think it might depend on the car. Some cars seem to be much higher in demand then others. I think for a 335i sedan in August 08 you should easily be able to do $500 or less dealer profit. Tthis might be because I was looking at fairly fully loaded cars... not sure if car options play into dealer profit.

I would search through the edmunds forums. I would also try searching bimmerfest (I tried a little bit... but I couldn't find the post I was looking for).
    In google type: "site:bimmerfest.com dealer profit"
    You may want post at bimmerfest's ask a dealer forum - I would post for the exact car type and options you want to know the dealer profit for. Sometimes they give quite valuable answers:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20
  • jdcar1jdcar1 Member Posts: 7
    Just leased a 335 coupe..auto...fully loaded. MSRP $51,500. Got $4500+ off sticker. Leased for 36 mths, 15k miles a year, 54% residual, .0017 money factor. Think its a pretty good deal. Shopped it at couple other dealers and no one could come close to the $4,500 off MSRP.
  • rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    What is your monthly payment including tax? What did you put down?