Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    This is an initial offer on a car in stock. What part of this deal should I be negotiating? Obviously I am looking for a lower monthly payment. I am pasting the actual offer.

Model 0843 335xi USD 41,200.00
    Color 475 Black Sapphire Metallic 550.00
    Upholstery LCSW Black Dakota Leather N/C
    Options ZCW Cold Weather Package 850.00
    465 Split-folding rear seats including ski bag N/C
    494 Heated front seats N/C
    ZPP Premium Package 2,650.00
    319 Universal Garage Door Opener N/C
    430 Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors N/C
    431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror N/C
    488 Lumbar support N/C
    4NA Digital compass mirror N/C
    639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth System N/C
    ZSP Sport Package 1,000.00
    2CY 17" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style158... N/C
    2XA†Sports leather steering wheel with padd... 100.00
    481 Sport seats N/C
    203 All-wheel-drive N/C
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission 1,325.00
    653 HD radio 350.00
    6FL iPod and USB adapter 400.00
    Net Total 48,425.00
    Destination Charge 825.00
    Gas Guzzler Tax N/C
    Total Suggested Price 49,250.00

AN055S-FI WAQ Quote Worksheet - Lease taylorj2 7438
    Quote No.: 237750 17) Protection Plans (W):$ 220.00
    1) Contract Date: 08/15/08 18) Service Cont (W):
    2) First Payment Date: 09/14/08 19) Maintenance (W):
    3) Lease Institution: BMWL70 20) AN VCP (W):
    4) Stock Number: 8A285817 21) Total Add Caps (W): $ 825.00
    Adjusted Cap Cost: $ 47,295.00
    5) M.S.R.P.: $ 49,250.00 22) Cash Cap Reduction:
    6) Residual Adds (W): 23) Total Sales Tax: $ 2,200.68
    7) Residual Value %: 58.00% 24) WA.TAX/CR.ENTER:3 (W):
    8) Mileage Penalty:
    9) Residual Value: $ 28,565.00 Base Monthly Rental: $ 664.41
    10) Capitalized Cost: $ 46,250.00 25) Security Deposit:
    11) Term: 36 26) Ttl Annual Fees (W:
    12) Lease Money Factor: 0.00190 27) Ttl Initial Fees(W: $ 242.25
    13) Customer Cash Down: 28) Amount Due At Start: $ 967.79
    14) Rebates: 29) Ttl Working Cash(W:
    15) Total Trade (W): 30) One Pay Amount:
    16) Credit Life/A&H Code: NO 31) Total Monthly Payment: $ 725.54 Command (?): Open P.O.s
    The $1000 sports package. Does it change the suspension? Doesn't say anything on the BMW website, it just says sport steering wheel and sport seats when building the car online. If it does include a "sport" suspension, is it rough? Is it worth it? I would have it with the 17 in wheels and all season tires. I have a 2005 x3 with the sport suspension and I am a bit tired of the, at times, non-compliant ride. Of course I want great handling too. Any insight would be great.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    The seats are more comfortable and the steering wheel is more impressive in the sport. The sport ride is a little harder. Drive one and compare to the non-sport. In short, the sport is nicer for the driver than it is for the passenger (also generally true for BMWs compared to the softer Lexus, Cadillac, etc.).
  • ehatipehatip Member Posts: 4
    Just came back from the dealer: 335i with metallic, premium, steptronic and iPod which was advertised on paper.

MSRP on BMW site $45050
    MSRP from dealer $44375 (pre-June figures I guess)
    Invoice from dealer $41370
    Price from dealer $40700
    TTL and doc fee extra
    0.9% apr financing

Started paperwork, will get the vehicle tomorrow morning.

Btw we are in RTP area in NC. This is the dealer in CH. I will post about our dealership experience tomorrow.

:shades:
  • howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    Seems like someone just bought the car for $30K (include dest.)???

Have you tried to get down as much as you can? I am looking to close the 328i base model deal by next week.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    On an AWD 3-series, I don't think you get a different suspension with the sport package.... This is a sedan, right?

Typically, they are marking up the money factor and the acquisition fee to the max.. Those two items are adding about $40/mo. to your payment...

I'd guess the markup over (invoice - incentives) is about $1500-$2000... With that spread, you shouldn't have to pay extra on the other charges, as well.. especially for a returning customer...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 4runnerguy14runnerguy1 Member Posts: 6
    Yup .. but I have agreed to pay $31700 (includes destination) + TT&L (approx 3700 off MSRP) but decided not to go with Momentum because of various reasons. Instead I decided to go with another dealership and am picking up the car this week. My approach was simple, communicate via email for options and prices and once price is finalized, communicate via phone and request a Buyer's Order, financing, etc.
    Hope this helps and good luck with you search.
  • jefft3jefft3 Member Posts: 27
    Wickedlfe,
    I am looking to purchase the 08 328i BMW. I am in NorthCal, can you tell me which dealer you bought if from? Thanks
  • wimvanzonwimvanzon Member Posts: 2
    Just got one yesterday from Flemington BMW in NJ:

Black w beige leather
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Comfort Package
    Ipod adapter
    NAV

It was a dealer demo, used by the general manager (they said). 4k miles, titled to me as new car. Seems like a good deal compared to what I was able to find. Dealership was highly recommended by someone who knows the local dealers well.

Here's the kicker - I got a message saying "Transmission Malfunction", had a hard time turning it off, and now it won't start. Hopefully just a software glitch, but I'm bummed.
    I just can't decide between the 335 XI Coupe vs. Sedan. My salesperson thinks the coupe actually has a better ride. Any opinions on that? According to the BMW website most measurements are pretty similar. Couple is longer and has more front legroom but a little less rear leg and headroom. Also it says the trunk in slightly smaller in the coupe but I read the 335i coupe articles on Inside Line and it says the trunk is over 3 cu. ft bigger on the coupe.

But the sedan is cheaper, especially on a lease and has 4 doors which I wonder how much I will miss. Then there is the 2009 sedan coming out which is supposed to be a bit bigger. But lease offers aren't out yet and i would think will cost a lot more ordering one now then buying an '08.

Most think the coupe looks better, especially in the rear, and i would agree, but I like both a lot. There seem to be a lot less coupes.

I have been told the coupe absolutely is not a sedan with 2 doors. It has many different suspension parts and other differences.

Would love opinions on which is better or preferred any why.

Thanks
    I forgot to ask something above. I noticed the 335i coupe and sedan both have a sport package option that includes sport suspension but the 335xi coupe and sedan sport package option does not include sport suspension. Does anyone know why this is? Can anyone tell me if they notice a big difference? I actually want a smoother ride but I also hate body roll. I will be getting all seasons.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Does anyone know why this is? Can anyone tell me if they notice a big difference? I actually want a smoother ride but I also hate body roll.

Back in the late '90s my wife and I owned two 3 Series that were identical except for the fact that my car had the Sport Package. My car handled quite a bit better(I still have it, in fact) but there was little difference between the two with regards to ride quality. The xi cars don't get the sport suspension because BMW NA believes(correctly, I might add) that 99% of the people who buy an xi will not drive the car hard enough to approach the limits of the stock suspension, never mind the sport suspension. If you are an exception to that rule, BMW Performance offers a sport suspension for the xi that you or your dealer can install. Better yet, get a RWD 335i and buy a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels. It takes me less than 45 minutes to swap them over in late fall and early spring.
    And buy the coupe; beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes straight to the bone... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I drove a 2006 330i sedan non-Sport Package for the past 3 years, which I recently replaced with a 2008 328i coupe non-Sport Package.

In the case of my two cars, the coupe is not only a better look but also a better drive, probably thanks to the coupe coming standard with (1) a sport-tuned suspension and (2) what I believe to be better tires (Conti Pros i/o Bridgestone Turanza). The coupe handles much better and, in my opinion, not at the expense of a harsher ride. Put another way, I notice the better handling whereas I do not notice a rougher ride.

If cost may be a factor, you will pay more for a comparably equipped coupe than a sedan. The coupe is priced a bit higher than the sedan to begin with, though it does include as standard things which are options (or included in option packages) on the sedan. Examples that come to mind are the sport-tuned suspension and xenon lights. Making matters worse, dealers tend to give considerably less generous discounts on coupes than they do on sedans. And if you are leasing, the situation gets even worse, because the leasing program on the sedan is always (or at least generally) better than the sedan. Having just gone through this comparison process, I would say that your monthly payment on a lease of a coupe would be about $75 higher than a comparably equipped sedan. I was attracted to the lower cost of the sedan, but ending up getting a coupe this time for a nice change.

If you go with an x, I think you don't get the sport-tuned suspension, not even if you get the Sports Package.

Instead of getting an x, you could do what I've been doing - the winter wheel/tire changeover thing. The initial investment is less than the cost of x (in my case about half the cost). And over the long term, you'll have a car that has somewhat better acceleration, braking, fuel efficiency, etc. And oh yes, you'll have better handling thanks to the sport-tuned suspension. Equipped with decent winter tires, you can drive the BMW 3-Series confidently in a light to moderate snow.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    ride quality is such a subjective thing that only YOU can tell. Different people have different perceptions.

Just curious on where you're located that you feel you "HAVE" to get an xi (AWD) BMW. Like roadburner said, get a set of winter wheels & tires.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hi! Have you bought the car yet? I am just curious about it. :)
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    A side commentary . . .

Us changeover to winter wheels and tires guys are in the vast minority of people (even BMW people) who live in areas where there is snow. Take for example what I believe to be BMW's best seller - the 328 sedan. Good luck finding a 328i in dealer stock. Instead they are sitting with a fleet of 328xi, and if you want a 328i, you have to order it. I was told by several dealers in my area that they order them that way because they think that is the way their customers want it (i.e., feeling as though they have to have all-wheel drive to make it through winters). I live in northern Westchester County in NY, by the way. When I ordered a car (328i coupe) a couple of months ago, I asked my salesperson the rough percentage of his customers who get the car without all-wheel drive. He said that it would be very low, maybe just 15%.
  • babydoctor77babydoctor77 Member Posts: 7
    I recently bought a new built to order BMW 335i convertible for 2,000 under invoice.

I bought it from Alderson Motors in Lubbock, Texas. It was really easy to bargain with him.....nice guy and very cooperative. Once again, I special ordered it so I was able to get whatever I wanted without compromising colors/options etc.

He has a lot of people ordering from out of state from him too....which I presume is because of the price! I've never seen BMWs or Benz at 2 grand under invoice!!!

PM me with any questions.
    Good luck!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Are you sure you don't mean MSRP? 2k under invoice I've seen but only with factory-to-dealer trunk money. My bro-in-law's 2003 was 2500 under invoice in October 2003. At that time a 330i was accessible for 3k below invoice because of the factory-to-dealer money.
    I live in Westechester too (hartsdale). I would say a good 90% of BMWs I see are the xi variant. The only non AWD BMWs I see are the tin tops (convertibles) and occasional 335i coupe with Sports Package (a sweet looker) & of course M cars.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• babydoctor77babydoctor77 Member Posts: 7
    No I mean invoice buddy!!! Getting the 1200 dollar auto transmission incentive helped! That's what I'm saying...never heard of a getting BMWs or Benz's a penny under invoice before!

Plus now its 0.9% financing....what a steal!
    That's still another $800. Good job. And you didn't trade in anything? Just bought the car...no extra features, no lojack, no undercoating, no tire warranty?
  • dfwhondadfwhonda Member Posts: 45
    So the dealer offered you a price under invoice for a new 335i? Did you receive this offer in person or via the internet first? Just curious.

I just returned from a BMW dealer in the DFW area that offered me about $1500 off of MSRP for a manual transmission 2008 335i with premium, sport and cold weather packages (there's only one on the lot, or in the DFW area, for sale at the moment, so I can't be too particular about the car accessories). Still, as it's model year end, I thought there may be more wiggle room initially.
  • ehatipehatip Member Posts: 4
    With auto transmission incentive, it is not really below invoice, a few hundred dollars over.

After some emails, the dealer sent me the newspaper ad which was to be published last weekend. They did not drop a penny though. but trunk tray and all weather mats already included. I got to the dealer, test drove the car and signed the papers. Next day took the delivery. Easy transaction, courteous sales and finance guys.

Refused window coating, extended warranty, paint protection, etc but got GAP insurance and tire protection for $1k for 5 years. But later I learned that BMW had a partnership with my insurance company (LM) "BMW performance insurance" and LM would pay full replacement cost if totaled within a year/15k miles. Now I wonder if I should keep GAP, or cancel for a full refund. BTW I financed with no money down and 0.9% for 60 months. Any comments?

Also with tire protection, I get replacements for tire and wheel. Any ideas? Worth for $500 you think?
  • namgorfnamgorf Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal? Please advise...

I was quoted $37980 + Tax + Title/DMV for a 2008 328xi: Alpine White with Premium and Cold packages, with Automatic Transmission. This is in Long Island, NY. Thanks.
  • amorinaamorina Member Posts: 4
    Babydoctor 77 what is the name/email of the salesperson you dealt with?
    Thanks. oops nevermind, I see that is not allowed!
  • crashmonkeycrashmonkey Member Posts: 1
    Did you pull the trigger on this one?

I am looking at an 07 328i coupe, manual trans for just under $32k and can't decide. It is not at a BMW dealer, but place that specializes in used European imports (plus they have a Mazda franchise). Car is in immaculate condition. They tried some high-pressure sales with me, so I walked. So far they are the only ones anywhere near me with manual trans coupe with low mileage and in this condition. Unfortunately, I can only hold out so long (on getting any car, not necessarily this one) as mine was totaled over the weekend.

Here's what is on it:
    Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Dark Burl Walnut Wood Trim, Heated Sport Front Seats, Sport Suspension, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, 3-Spoke Leather Wrapped Sport Steering Wheel w/ Fingertip Controls, 18" Ally Wheels w/Performance Tires, Power Front Seats w/Driver Memory, Moonroof, Dynamic Cruise Control, Multi-function Steering Wheel, Tire Preaseure Monitor, Headlightwashers, Ski Bag
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Considering that Edmunds.com has this car at $37,740 invoice, I'd say that this is a good deal. You didn't say if this was sedan or coupe - I'm assuming sedan. The Edmunds TMV for this car is $39,384.

I was quoted $37,870 for power front seats, heated seats, leather seats, metallic paint and iPod adapter for a 2008 328xi in the Boston area with 6 sp manual. Compared to your deal, it sounds like my guy is trying to finance a new house.

The car has 1 mile on it. I like that. The price, before any negotiation, I'm not so wild about.

xeye
  • 328xi328xi Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 09 328xi coup, the contract was stamped "subject to 09 prices & residules" Was'nt overly happy about that so I complained. Sales manager told me he'd match the 09 price to the 08 car. When I got there he chopped the 09 to the bones to match the 08 car. He did'nt lie but he did'nt tell the entire truth. I went else where and got an new 08 328xi coup. Prem pack, Prem sound, comfort access, automatic, metallic space grey, poplar grey trim. Shame Bmw's cost so much here in Canada vs the USA.
    Can anybody help on me? I check on the Edmunds.com and the most basis 328i is $32,700. Yet, when i check on the local dealer, the lowest MSRP i have seen is more than $34,500.

Any idea?
    Just ordered a 2009 335i x drive sedan. Space Grey which is new for the sedan in 2009. I got "Fine Line Aluminum Trim" which replaced the brushed aluminum. I have no idea the difference but I am hoping I like it. The base price went up $800 to $42,000. Premium audio is now a stand alone option at $875 when it was included with the 335. Cold Climate went up to $1000 but includes heated steering wheel and the sports package is now $1350 for the x drive. That pays for sport seats, black shadowline exterior trim around the windows, and new wheels. Given the $350 increase for this package, I really hope the wheels will be better than the 2008. I am getting 17 inch all seasons. I really didn't like the 18's or 17's form the 2008 sports package. To me a 335 x drive sports package should have killer wheels even on the 17's. I hope the handling is what I would expect. No sport suspension on the x drive 3 series. Any insight there?

They don't have the lease deals yet. I got offered 4% off msrp along with mats and wheel locks. Not nearly the deal I would receive on an '08 but now I get the car exactly how I want it, with all the new changes, slight but meaningful I am hoping. I hope the lease deals are the same as on the 2008's. The 2008 I was looking at was .019 MF and 58% residual.

I came very close to buying a 2008 coupe. Liked the grey wood the best and wish that was an option on the sedan. I hope I made a good decision. Regardless, I am excited.
  • lipsmasherlipsmasher Member Posts: 2
    Sharing my info:

Just drove off the lot: 2008 328i silver, auto, IPOD adapter, Continental SSRs
    $30,738 + TTL (8.25% tax + $307 Lic, + $7, + $55 doc fee)
    came up to about 34K out the door with interest.

0.9% financing, we will pay $787 of total interest for 60 months. Can't beat that.
    Monthly payment : $573

That's very close to invoice($30,085) or maybe 3/400 below with options? I spent all day there trying to get them to give it to us for 30K flat. But they would not budge. Threw in car mats and full tank of gas, but that was it!

I think we got a good price though, but not 100% sure.

We did most of the negotiating online and finally came to the lowest dealer.
    Did a couple of up and down emails, was promised 30K in email but they would not budge in person.

Let me know what you guys think.
  • lchen8lchen8 Member Posts: 6
    That's a quite good deal. Can you share which dealer you worked with ?
    I am on the market and considering one as well.
    I'm considering purchasing a new 335i sedan manual transmission in the DFW area. I've only found 2 such 2008s at dealers. The best offer I have is below for a 335i with sport package, dakota leather, metallic paint, iPod and comfort access (no other packages, which is fine with me). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MSRP: $45,575
    Invoice: $41,945 (Edmunds; dealer sheet may have been a couple hundred higher)
    Selling Price: $43,315
    Inventory tax, doc fee, title and license: $275 total
    TX state tax: $1600 (after deducting trade in from selling price)

I'm wondering if I can get a little closer to invoice (say getting to selling price down to $43k flat), or whether I should be more aggressive and ask for below invoice at this point in the year. If I were purchasing an automatic 335i, I think those are readily available in the DFW area, and so would expect an at invoice or below selling price. Since there are only 2 manual transmissions in the DFW area (I've called all 4 dealers to check), I wonder if the dealers are willing to bargain as low knowing they have a scarce commodity. I think I'll be able to get the 0.9% financing.

The other open point is the value of my trade-in. Dealer currently offering about $1000 less than blue book, so I'm holding out for a match there as well.
    I'm happy to announce a new addition to my little Bimmer family! A 2008 328xi was purchased yesterday for my wife. We'll bring it home on Monday to meet it's big brother, my '07 Sparkling Graphite 335xi (I got the hotter engine and the big pipes!). This one, which my wife is already calling the Batmobile, is black sapphire with black Dakota leather w/heated power seats & iPod/USB. It's a 6 sp manual, naturally. No slush boxes in THIS household!

We got it for either $700, $900, $1,130 or $1,330 over invoice, which I imagine requires a little explaining. Edmunds has the invoice price as $36,200. The dealer showed me the invoice which includes $250 for MACO and $180 for Training/Service Fee. I told the Sales Manager that these charges were his problem if BMW is passing down advertising fees and "training" charges to the dealership. His reply was that it's included in what they pay BMW in Germany for the vehicle. In reality, the invoice price (in MA anyway) is not $36,200 but $36,630.

The dealer originally wanted $37,870. When I said flat out that this wouldn't fly, I offered $36,500. They said that wouldn't fly. I was pretty sure it wouldn't, even at the $36,200 invoice. (I really don't understand how people can be claiming that they're getting below invoice quotes. There was no mistaking the definite "NO" I got with my low-ball offer.) I said I'd sign straight away for $37K flat. Still a NO. They came back with $37,530, the $900 over invoice. I said I wanted another $200 off, and they reluctantly agreed. So, finally $37,330, or $700 over invoice. I'm not really disappointed with this deal. The reality is that the dealer is entitled to make some money. Whether they get any rebates from the manufacturer is not an issue since my best information didn't reveal any such deals. If they're that good at keeping it a secret, good for them.

Unfortunately, when we were in the F&I guy's office, the contract did not reflect the additional $200. I only realized this after my wife and I had signed the paperwork and driven away from the dealership 10 minutes after closing time at 6 PM last night. My salesman and his manager had made the commitment to the $200, so for now, I'm optimistic that when I go back at opening time at 11 AM today, they'll make it right somehow. I got the 0.9% deal, so the net interest over 5 years will be $925.

Comments?

xeye (Squared!, hopefully not Screwed!)

By the way, if a picture of a white car shows up next to this post, I have no idea whose car that is!
    After alerting my sales guy that the contract price was off by $200, he readily promised to re-write the contract and destroy the original version. An honorable man.

I also took the wheel warranty, despite my original intention of ignoring it. The F&I guy gave it to me for what he said was his cost, $617 instead of $895 for 5 years. And LoJack as well.

One nice thing (I think) came when it was time to sign the contracts. My original plan was to put down $10K to reduce the nut to about $500/month. The finance guy was actually surprised when I said I was going to make a down payment. He suggested that the 0.9% financing was essentially (but still not quite) free money. It didn't take long for me to realize that I could take the 10 large and get better than 0.9% investing it somewhere. The hard part was that the payment ballooned from ~$500/month to ~$670/month.

The whole thing was just south of $40K OTD. Not cheap by any means. At least, the Bugatti Veyron is still $1,560,000 more, and I didn't finance one of those! Even at 0.9%, it's still $27,281.16/month!

xeye
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    ...all the new changes, slight but meaningful I am hoping.

Just the change in the tail lights should make you very happy.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• lipsmasherlipsmasher Member Posts: 2
    Regarding which dealer i went to:

I went with Weatherford BMW in Berkley.
    BMW of San Francisco was in the running to. Both met each others price.

We brought in emails of specs and quotes. Both wanted evidence of each others lowest deal.

Good luck and plse let me know how it went
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Best of luck with your wife's new ride! I think you got a good deal. I would have passed on the tire/wheel insurance.

BTW, you got in just in time because they are raising their prices 2.1% for all models in October.

Regards,
    OW
    Thanks, OW. Your opinion means a lot.

We picked up the 328xi late this afternoon. It looks great and rides even better. The inline 6 is so smooooth! Still, I wouldn't give up the turbo 6 in my 335xi! I can't wait for the break-in period to end as this car loves to rev. It gets to 4000 RPM in a heartbeat. That's where the sweet spot really begins. My wife said she'd miss her old '95 318ti (which still looked awesome), but it faded into a memory within a mile of the dealership.

Everyone should own (or at least drive) a BMW at some point. But be warned - it spoils you quickly!

Happy trails,

xeye (times 2!)
    what did you end up doing with the 318ti? Congrats on te new coupe for your wife. Enjoy it!

• newbimmernewbimmer Member Posts: 1
    Paid $39K for premium, nav, sport, heated seats, Sirius, auto, paddle shifters, ipod. MSRP was $43K ($43.6K on edmunds with the June 1st price increase), invoice $40.1K.
    Car was already on the lot, had been there for several months. Bought the paint and interior protector for $590 since I have a big dog that will be riding inside and they said it would cover any swirl marks that are sure to appear on the Jet Black paint. Also bought the maintenance package to 100K/6years for $1900. In retrospect, maintenance was probably a bad decision unless we push 100K miles in the next 6 years, but I put $0 down at .9%. At least I am covered for future expenses and can get my moneys worth out of the brake pads.
    The 318ti was traded in. We just don't have room for three cars. For someone who can do some relatively minor repairs (passenger window needs to be re-mounted, possibly some welding inside the door panel, the remote mirrors aren't remote anymore but they are intact, the wipers have intermittent and frantic as speeds), it's an ideal car. Let's just say that whoever buys the car is likely to get a very, very good deal at auction. Blue book value doesn't amount to much because of the age and miles in spite of the life still in the car. We figured another 100K miles for someone with the tools and knowhow.

The new one looks really good in black sapphire in the morning sun. Funny how we only noticed how good the interior of the 318ti looked as we were on our way to put it out to pasture. :cry:

xeye
  • fanaticfatherfanaticfather Member Posts: 4
    It's a certified used 2007 blk/blk 335i. Clean carfax report. Sport, Premium, paddle shifters. 5700 miles. Haven't actually seen the car but dealer says it's in perfect cosmetic condition.

Is this too good to be true?

Thanks
    Check out the kbb trade-in value on that car.

There is still wiggle room. Assuming someone owned it - carfax will confirm - the dealer probably gave the owner 29-30k for it. If the dealership bought it at auction they probably paid 30k.

I'd try for 31-32k and still be happy with 33k.
    Anyone have any idea whether BMW will continue the 0.9% financing on '08 models following the upcoming long weekend? I'm in the market for a manual 335i, and have found a couple here in Dallas. I'm receiving a little bit of timing pressure from the dealers in respect of the incentive financing which is only available (at least as advertised) through 9/2/08. Any guesses what the last quarter of '08 will bring in terms of incentives?

I know the '09 prices are increasing, so I wonder whether BMW may just tell potential purchasers of a 3 series that the "lower" price of an '08 is a bargain in and of itself.
  • fanaticfatherfanaticfather Member Posts: 4
    I found a 2008 335i with 5700 miles. Sport, heated seats. I can't find info on either kbb or edmunds as to a fair price for this. It was a dealer service car. no cpo. dealer's asking 40, 995. Any idea what a fair offer would be?

Thank you.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    nope. now is the time to strike...
  • dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    xeye, your logic is a bit flawed. yes, the finance rate is 0.9% and yes, your savings account interest rate might be slightly more than this. however, and this the big point, you pay tax on your savings interest but not on your car loan. so you really are not making money by playing this little game - in fact you are losing money. thus, if you have the full amount available, it would behoove you to pay it off in one shot.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    cheap loan money is the way to go. cash is king no matter how you invest it.
  • tmchowtmchow Member Posts: 35
    I currently own a '04 Z4 3.0i with 38k miles and have been interested in going to a 335i Coupe.

I only found out about the cheap 0.9% financing offer 2 days ago -- clearly I've been living under a rock :)

I called the dealer and the internet sales manager could not find a car on the entire westcoast the fit my parameters -- 335i Coupe, fully loaded, auto with GPS in either Montego Blue or White. Pretty disappointing, but not surprising given their crazy finance deals.

I've always believed in leasing vs buying since a car is a depreciating asset. We've all heard this line of thinking, and I have a track record of keeping my cars at most 3 years.

This leads me to my questions that I would love input into:

1. What were the deals on leasing during this 0.9% financing promo? I'm assuming there was a break on the money factor but I couldn't find any specifics. Does someone know? Specifically it would be for a 335i Coupe, 12k miles/year and 36 months.

2. I have read that BMW is raising it's '09 prices by 2.1%. By itself, that sucks for anyone that missed out on getting an '08. However, with the recent news coverage of BMW's revenue dropping 33% and their stock dropping 10% at the beginning of August, I wonder if we're going to see any more good leasing and financing deals on '09s? Anyone have any specific info on this?

3. I am considering a USED 335i Coupe instead of a NEW one, however i do know that used care loan rates will be way higher than 0.9%. Anyone have an online calculator somewhere that will help compute the break-even point when USED car is a better deal over a NEW one when comparing different interest rates?

Anyways, that's it for now for my random questions. Any insights or help appreciated!