Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• KymberleeKymberlee Member Posts: 29
    Hi Tennberg,

I believe the money factors/residuals for the 2009 335i at 10k are:

Sedan
    36 Month - Residual 63% of MSRP - .00175

Coupe
    36 Month - Residual 61% of MSRP - .00200

Kim
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    If the car is certified, that isn't a bad price.

Performance pkg is pretty desirable and it's a nice color.... That's probably a $24K car wholesale... so, a couple of thousand to certify it and a couple thousand profit.. Not sure you'll get one much cheaper than that..

For a comparison point, I'm turning my '05 330 convertible in tomorrow... 45K miles, with less equipment than that one.... and the residual is $30K..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Been offered the following:

2009 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
    Black Sapphire Metallic
    Black Dakota Leather
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Sport package
    Sport steering wheel
    STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
    Navigation system with HD radio
    Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
    iPod/USB adapter

MSRP: 52,895.00
    Agreed-upon price: 49,621.00
    36 month/10k lease using 63% residual and 0.00195 MF
    Monthly payment: 674.04
    Due up front: 989.04 (first month, doc fee, registration)

Thoughts?
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    I actually think it is a bit overpriced; especially in today's economy. I guess they don't need the business. Maybe they will come back to you, but if not, you'll find another one.

Just my two cents...

Stacy
    2004 330i/w performance package, 6-spd, alcantara, hk, cold weather package, etc... LOVE IT!!! (5th BMW)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    The dealer let me walk at $28,400. I feel like they can go down a little more. They're pushing their teflon (wax job imho) and the Lojack as a couple grand. I have no choice on those they say.

That mop and glow as well as the Lojack represent nothing but pure profit for the dealer. I wouldnt buy a new car with that junk- never mind a used or CPO car. Find another E46.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sms7sms7 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 2006 325i CPO. Automatic, Leather, 30-38k miles. What is a fair price for this vehicle in this market? I have offers ranging from $25000-$30,000.

Edmunds shows the CPO price around $27,000. Seems high.

What is a fair offer?
  • TSE20002008TSE20002008 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a 2008 328i, a local dealer offered MSRP: $36,500 for MSRP 40,000. They offered a trade in value of my 2005 Mini Cooper, automatic, 20,000 miles for $14,000. Is it a good offer? Or should I push more considering current market? They still have more than 10 2008 328s on their lot.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The only way to be sure is to shop the deal. You have their numbers now get busy on line and contact other dealers. Those 08's might still be on the lot in June. These are bad times and their going to get worse. The housing market is still tanking.
  • jamarazjamaraz Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I have a current deal to buy a 2008 328i with 12,000 miles. It was a loaner car and I am getting new car financing. My question is my warranty is only good until 50k miles. Am I better off getting a cpo that has a warranty up to 100k miles or take the new car financing?
    It depends... How many miles do you drive each year, and how long do you plan on owning the car?

Also, the in-service date is important, as well, as the warranty ends four years from that date.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jamarazjamaraz Member Posts: 3
    I plan on owning the car for hopefully 5+ years. I will be driving 20k miles a year. I know there is only 3 years left on the service contract. It's the financing that is really attractive to me. You can't be .9% financing.
    The .9% financing is worth an easy $3K-$4K..

Ask the dealer to add the warranty.. If you are the original owner (hopefully, you qualify), you can add the OOP, which is the same as the CPO warranty for around $1700-$1800.. They can roll it into the loan..

For another $1300-$1500, you can extend the maintenance plan as well..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• peper2008peper2008 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am considering two cars:
    2008 328i CPO with 9000 mi
    used to be a loaner car
    basic model, no other options except automatic transmission
    dealer offer $ 34,000

2008 335i CPO with 19000 mi
    used to be a company car
    premium pkg
    sport pkg
    automatic transmission
    power rear sunshade
    heated front seats
    dealer offer $ 37,000

When I test drive 335i, the car keeps drifting to the left side. it seems a alignment problem.

I appreciate any advice : )

Eddie
  • Dante1918Dante1918 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 328i with x drive from a dealer in New Jersey. I think I got a good deal, but I'm unsure because three different dealers gave me offers within $100 of what I paid. I'd appreciate your thoughts:

Features/Options included:
    2009 328i with x-drive (all wheel drive)
    automatic (steptronic) transmission
    premium package
    metallic paint - blue water metallic with black leather interior and walnut trim
    heated seats (but not the whole cold weather package).

Price paid (not including taxes, tags, and fees) - $38,800.00

Because the blue water metallic paint with black interior is not a common color combination, they had to build the car and have it shipped. I'm not sure how this affected their pricing, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.
  • fullofivyfullofivy Member Posts: 2
    Dante1918, $38,800 is a little more than $1000 above invoice. IMHO, it's not a bad deal.

Would you mind letting me know the dealer where you got that price from? BTW, I am in North Jeersey. TIA.
  • kimohhkimohh Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a CPO 2007 335i coupe in Crimson Red/Beige Leather with just over 4,400 miles.

-6-speed manual
    -Sport pkg
    -Premium pkg
    -Cold Weather pkg
    -Active steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, Sunshade, HD Radio, Sirius, Logic 7 stereo, Park Distance Control, BMW Assist

I paid 38,525 in suburban MD.
  • rockyrr27rockyrr27 Member Posts: 1
    A dealer near my house is advertising the 2007 328i for 25000 and 328xi for 26000. The mileage is less than 11000. Is this a good price? Its a CPO and comes with 6year 100k warranty

thanks
  • polyester1970polyester1970 Member Posts: 18
    I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and am looking to special order a 2009 335 Coupe (for purchase, not lease). I want a manual trans where inventory is very limited so that's why I probably need to special order.

My question is, how much should I pay over/under invoice given the market conditions. One dealer offered $1000 over invoice.

I might consider doing European Delivery if the savings are significant. If I did that I wouldn't have any time for a vacation so it'd be just to pick up the car and maybe spend 2 days max.
  • kittyminikittymini Member Posts: 2
    I went to the dealer today to look for the 2008-335 convertible. The MSRP is 59,900. They offered me 54,400. Is it the good amount to buy or can it be lower?

The car is fully loaded but it is already been at 3000 Miles: (pine white exterior and red interior)
    6-SPEED STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    DAKOTA LEATHER SEAT TRIM
    STANDARD PAINT
    PREMIUM PKG
    SPORT PKG
    COLD WEATHER PKG
    ACTIVE STEERING
    PADDLE SHIFTERS
    HEATED FRONT SEATS
    BRUSHED ALUMINUM INTERIOR TRIM
    REAR PARK DISTANCE CONTROL
    DVD-BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    I was going to reply:

White regular paint
    Red interior
    Aluminum trim
    Automatic

Is this a joke?

But I decided not to reply.

Oops. I hit the ENTER button.

You shouldn't be driving a high-powered BMW. You should be in a Cadillac with leopard-skin mud flaps. If you're going to buy anyway, I wish I was your salesperson. I bet he's dreaming about your check.

'nuff said.
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Peper, the 2008 328i costed that much new! Therefore, they should have a selling price to be a couple of thousand$ less! I do not know exactly what the price was, but I have leased 2008 328i with metallic paint and BMW Assist, MSRP of $34,400, which cap value, i.e., selling price, came to be $32,400. Note that this was in May 2005, while the prices were still w/o much discounts in Miami, which happened to be a hot BMW market. Therefore, I believe that you should easily be able to get it for about $2,000 less. However, if I would be you, I would rather opt for a 2009, because both the front and tail are much more different than 2008, and therefore it will be very visible that you are driving an old Bimmer...
  • dbmandbman Member Posts: 2
    Picking up a new 335 this weekend, Any thoughts on window tint. I live in AZ, so the heat blocking effect seems beneficial. They are offering me 2 options. One is a ceramic tint @ $369.00. They also talk about a new “platinum-nano-cool” that keeps even more heat out and is darker @ $769.00. I don't know anythng about this new tint. Any information or thoughts? Thanks!
  • demedjademedja Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 09 328i, my first bimmer---and what a beauty!!! I had always driven the Japanese stuff, but after I test drove this car I immediately knew I just HAD to have it. I love the car but didn't care much for the arrogant and snooty sales people (went to all the dealerships in my local area and they were all the same). I'm in south Florida BTW.

Anyway, I got:
    premium package
    automatic
    xenon
    metallic paint
    heated seats
    ipod adapter

Edmunds TMV priced the car at 43,320 (but thats because they are adding on the cost of the leather, even though it is already included in the premium package)

The BMW website has the MSRP with at 41,665.

I'm not much of a negotiator when it comes to these things but I did some research here on Edmunds and a couple other sites before I went to buy the car, and every source I looked into came up to approximately the same price as Edmunds. Had to really haggle with the dealer to get him to come down to $39,650---which he very begrudgingly agreed to. None of the other dealers I talked to offered a significantly different price, but I'm wondering if I could have done better. I did get the 0.9% financing deal but I still feel as though I overpaid.

Thanks for your comments.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Yes too high in this market. Take another $4K off of that!
  • vish_dcvish_dc Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

My lease on my 2006 325i is set to end in January and I am looking to either lease or buy another 3 series. I have priced out both a 328i and 335i sedan. Here are the details:
    328i
    MSRP - $44345
    Invoice - $40820
    335i
    MSRP - $49045
    Invoice - $45155

Before starting my negotiations, I would like to get a general idea of what would be considered a great deal. Should I be aiming to pay below invoice? If not, how much above invoice would be considered a great deal.

I paid ~$400 over invoice on my last BMW but I am wondering if I can get a better deal this time.

I am located in the DC metro area.

Thanks.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Hi, do any of you have the base roof bars installed on you e90 or e92? I cant tell which one is supposed to go in the back of front? One bar has the silver sticking out on the side about an inch, and the other one is almost flush. Im assuming the shorter one goes in the front? Dont know for sure though...any help would be greatly appreciated i might need to use them this weekend
    Try posting your question here, also:

2009 BMW 3-Series

You might get a little more exposure to current owners.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• paulcleepaulclee Member Posts: 12
    Polyester 1970,

I am in the process of purchasing a new 2009 328 convertible. I have received various quotes and the best is $700 over invoice. I feel I can get $500 over invoice. The car I want is already in the dealer's lot and you may have to pay a bit more for special ordering. I am also in the San Francisco Bay Area. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good Luck!

Paul
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    Forget about the other reply.

It sounds like a nice car but I think 54K is too much for the used car. It's loaded wth options which ususally doesn't retain it's value as much. I think a fairer price would be 45K
    Fullofivy - I got the deal at the Atlantic City dealership, but the one in Freehold agreed to the same price. BTW, since its a 2009 328xi with the features included, I think it was @ $450 below invoice.
    Hi,

If the dealer promises to throw in his/her children, you can be sure they're still making a profit. I bought two BMWs in the last 2 years, and quite honestly, and although I like my salesman and trust him to a certain extent, if he doesn't give me a deal I can feel comfortable with and have no regrets, I will bargain and walk away if I don't like it. I, quite frankly, don't care if the deal costs him his grocery money for 6 months.

Every sales person is going to tell you that they may lose their job if they sell you the car at the price you're asking (or more often at slightly above that number), but the thing to remember is that the car dealers (with the possible current exception of the "big 3") are not in business to lose money. If you always remember that, you can negotiate from a stronger position.

They won't run out of cars.

xeye
    Hi Vish,

My recommendation has two components;

1) Pay what leaves you with no regrets. The one thing you want to focus on is driving away and sleeping well knowing that you're OK with yourself. It's not easy, and whatever you do, DO NOT RATIONALIZE THE PURCHASE! I think you were in the ballpark last purchase and I did the same. No one can tell you what deal will make you feel good about what you did. It sounds like you know what you're doing.

Having said all this maudling stuff, my wife and I have a 2008 328xi (her car) and a 2007 335xi (my ride). If you can come up with the $$$ difference and you like zoooom, go for the 335, no doubt at all. If you want a very capable car, still with a ton (& a half) of fun factor, you can't go wrong with the 328. They're both a lot of fun to drive. Both of ours are 6-sp manuals. The real difference is, do you want zoom starting at the low RPM end (335,and it will make you smile every time you nail the pedal), or do you like the zoom as the RPMs climb (Wait! A few more RPMs before the shift point!)?

Either way, you'll have a great ride. In the long run, especially if you get the 0.9% financing, the difference is lunch at a fancy restaurant. I wouldn't sactifice the BMW fun for a Waldorf salad.

xeye

P.S. For me, it's the turbo'd 335. Absolutely no question. But that's me. And I have no citations after ~15,000 miles, although there were one or two occasions...
  • kittyminikittymini Member Posts: 2
    forget about 2008, what if I want to get the same car but in 2009 with fully loaded like the one I described before, then what should be the price for it? the MSRP is 62K
  • red44red44 Member Posts: 2
    I've called around to a few dealers and the lowest quote I've received is $39,880 for a 2009 328i xdrive for:

Alpine white
    Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Ipod Connector

This is about $1400 above invoice. Is this a good deal or should I hold out for something better? Thanks!
    red44, where are you located? In the mid-Atlantic area I was able to find a car with similar features (328i with x-drive, premium package, heated seats, metallic paint, steptronic automatic transmission) for 38,800. Basically the same car you're getting but without the i-pod adaptor and with metallic paint. Make sure you go through their internet sales departments, they seem to be better able to negotiate.
  • red44red44 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I'm in the same geographic area. It sounds like I can get a better deal if I shop around a bit more.
  • rorkinrorkin Member Posts: 10
    Just came back from Annapolis BMW.. Felt like I was being sold a 75 Chevy.
    Manager gave me the "If I give you a good price will you put a deposit down today" line.. Sheesh !!

Anyway.. they cant find a stick do would be ordering
    2009 325 I Sedan
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Logic 7 Radio
    Sirius Radio
    Cash deal
    Metallic paint

quoted me $38,992.. sticker $40,745
    Can this be bought for appreciably less.. Looks like $1k or so over invoice
    Thanks in advance
    I just picked up a 2009 335i Coupe from Weatherford BMW in Berkeley (California). Here are the specs:

* Manual Transmission
    * Premium Package
    * Sports Package
    * 19" Wheels
    * Power Rear Sunshade
    * Heated Front Seats
    * Parking Distance Control
    * iPod/USB Adaptor
    * Navigation
    * Satellite Radio
    * Logic 7 Sound

Paid: $50,580 (before taxes, license, etc...)

I actually went in with the intention to special order different color and slightly less options but after taking a closer look at my original color I backed out and went with black/black which, coincidentally, they had 1 MT 335 in stock. It had a couple options I didn't really need, but it was there and the thought of having it that day put me in a state of euphoria. I already have worked out a deal with the sales rep over phone/email for $600 over invoice. But I guess she took advantage of my eagerness and I ended up paying $1100 over invoice. We were actually negotiating relative to invoice and agreed on $800 over, but they tack on this additional $300 internal thing, supposedly for prepping the car, paying their utility bill, and keeping the toilet paper well stocked. I know it's BS, but I decided not to fight that battle. After all they are my neighborhood BMW dealer where I have to take the car in for maintenance and didn't feel like getting nasty with them. Besides - I felt that $1100 over invoice was a fair deal, for a 2009 manual trans in stock (very hard to find MT). Also - when I almost bought one last year, the best deal I was offered was $100 off MSRP.
    Hey Paul - thanks for replying. I posted a new message with the deal I got.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0f830/9395
  • JH2009JH2009 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to BMW car. My local dealer has similar lease on both 08 528i and 335i, with 335i equipped more with Nav. and Xenon headlight. No sport package for both cars.
    Please help me with some advises if I should go for the 335 engine or the 5 series space? Thanks in advance.
  • paulcleepaulclee Member Posts: 12
    Polyester 1970,

Congratulations on your new purchase. I bet black/black is stunning! That would be my first color choice too but I purchased a new black/black Mercedes C350 earlier this year (very nice car but my son ‘borrowed’ the car and won’t give it back :-)), so I am now shopping for a red or white 328 convertible. I think you could probably save a few hundred dollars if you played hard ball but MT is indeed very hard to find and I definitely agree with you not to fight the battle.

Enjoy your new car!!!

Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Please help me with some advises if I should go for the 335 engine or the 5 series space? Thanks in advance.

It all depends upon your preferences and your needs. Have you driven both cars? If not, you really need to do that before you can make a decision. Do you prefer the extra power of the twin turbo or do you need the added room of the 5er? In my case I wouldn't want either car without the Sport Package, but I'm a track geek. I also don't like big heavy cars, and the 3 Series is almost too porky for my tastes- never mind the 5 Series. That said, it's your money; buy what YOU like...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xman7xman7 Member Posts: 10
    It seems easily to get deal at invoice +$500 in my experience. BTW, any one knows if 'Training and MACO $560' comes from BTW to every car on its invoice?
    I agree with roadburner - it's really based on your needs. If you like the 5 and need that extra room - then go for that. If you like the 3 and the room is enough than go with that! I also agree that BMWs look 100x times better with the sports package (specifically larger rims and low-profile tires - I guess all cars look better this way). And I think when BMW designs these cars they are intended to have larger rims since they are sporty cars. But if you don't particularly care for that sporty look then the non-sports package will accomplish that. But, personally, if I weren't going for the sporty look I would consider MB or Audi as well.

If you really want my personal opinion, I just bought a 2009 335i Coupe with Sports Package, 19" rims, and a bunch of other stuff. I also liked the 550 a bit, but I felt the car looks better on someone a bit older or taller than me. It was also a bit big for me.

I think you should definitely get to know the different types of cars BMW has beyond the 2 you mentioned from your local dealer to find out exactly what your style is. 528, 550, M5, 328, 335, M3, Sedan, Coupe, Sports Package, 18" rims, 19" rims, all have a distinct styles, performance and fuel economy. You should get to know that a bit more before you sign up and get stuck for 3 years. And don't worry - you have plenty of time. As soon as these 2008's clear, if they ever do, they'll apply the same incentives to the 2009's. In many cases they already have. So take your time. Spend lots of time on bmwusa.com, bimmerfest.com, spend a couple hours at dealers looking at different combos.

I didn't get nav in a couple cars I bought in 2004 & 2005 and totally regretted it. My new 335 has nav. BTW the 2009 iDrive has been redesigned and seems to be much nicer than the 2008 in my loaner car.
  • vish_dcvish_dc Member Posts: 16
    I am being offered the following deal:

MSRP - $44,345
    Invoice - $40,820 (on Edmunds)
    Dealer price - $41,400

The dealer is claiming that the invoice price above does not include his MACO/Training fee of $380. He is located in MD. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
  • xman7xman7 Member Posts: 10
    that dealer didn't lie to you. Invoice price list on Edmunds doesn't include Training and MACO fee since MACO is location related.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Executive Demo Lease with 10,000mile already
    2008 BMW 335XI
    * Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather
    * 300 Horsepower 6-Cylinder Turbocharged Engine, 25 MPG Highway, xDrive All-Wheel-Drive
    * Options include Premium Package, Heated Front Seats, Automatic Transmission, iPod/USB Adapter
    * Free Maintenance for 4 Years / 50,000 Miles
    * Lease for $489/Month for 36 Months with 10,000 Miles per Year
    * $0 Capitalized Cost Reduction
    * Sales Tax and Inception Fees (First Month's Payment, Refundable Security Deposit If Applicable, BMW Acquisition Fee, Motor Vehicle Fees, Dealer Documentation Fee) Due at Signing

The ad is not from a BMW dealer, but from an independent leasing company.
  • bmwx330bmwx330 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone buy a car from BMW of Tenafly ?? It use to be Difeo BMW but looks like it's been re-named and part of Penske Automotive Group.

If so, how was your experience ?? Was it legit or a bait-and-switch type of shop ??
  • BD87BD87 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. Can someone give me some insight for this current lease offer that I have received: (i apologize but this is a cross post)

This is for a 2008 328xi it was used as a dealer loaner and has approx. 6K miles. the lease term is 36 months, 15K per year

monaco blue/tan leather
    premium package
    cold weather
    steptronic auto
    ipod

MSRP: 41,325
    Dealer invoice: 38485 (based on wholesale)
    Offered sale price - 35,325

money factor - .00130
    residual - 56%

due at signing: 1500
    monthly payment - 489 (including 7% sales tax)

i have not yet received the details on any additional charges, i know the destination was quoted at 775 though.

please let me know your thoughts. thanks in advance
  • supes_mansupes_man Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I live in Los Angeles, and I'm looking for a 2008 328i sedan with the following options:
    Monaco Blue
    Automatic
    Premium Package
    ipod adapter
    xenon lights (maybe)

So far i've received quotes of $36370(includes xenon and ipod) which is $445 below invoice but not the color I wanted (bronze platinum) and $35455 (no xenon or ipod) which is $630 below invoice.

Are these the best or should I negotiate and which one do you think is a better option?