Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Polyester 1970,

Congratulations on your new purchase. I bet black/black is stunning! That would be my first color choice too but I purchased a new black/black Mercedes C350 earlier this year (very nice car but my son ‘borrowed’ the car and won’t give it back :-)), so I am now shopping for a red or white 328 convertible. I think you could probably save a few hundred dollars if you played hard ball but MT is indeed very hard to find and I definitely agree with you not to fight the battle.

Enjoy your new car!!!

Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,854
    Please help me with some advises if I should go for the 335 engine or the 5 series space? Thanks in advance.

It all depends upon your preferences and your needs. Have you driven both cars? If not, you really need to do that before you can make a decision. Do you prefer the extra power of the twin turbo or do you need the added room of the 5er? In my case I wouldn't want either car without the Sport Package, but I'm a track geek. I also don't like big heavy cars, and the 3 Series is almost too porky for my tastes- never mind the 5 Series. That said, it's your money; buy what YOU like...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• xman7xman7 Posts: 10
    It seems easily to get deal at invoice +$500 in my experience. BTW, any one knows if 'Training and MACO $560' comes from BTW to every car on its invoice?
  • I agree with roadburner - it's really based on your needs. If you like the 5 and need that extra room - then go for that. If you like the 3 and the room is enough than go with that! I also agree that BMWs look 100x times better with the sports package (specifically larger rims and low-profile tires - I guess all cars look better this way). And I think when BMW designs these cars they are intended to have larger rims since they are sporty cars. But if you don't particularly care for that sporty look then the non-sports package will accomplish that. But, personally, if I weren't going for the sporty look I would consider MB or Audi as well.

If you really want my personal opinion, I just bought a 2009 335i Coupe with Sports Package, 19" rims, and a bunch of other stuff. I also liked the 550 a bit, but I felt the car looks better on someone a bit older or taller than me. It was also a bit big for me.

I think you should definitely get to know the different types of cars BMW has beyond the 2 you mentioned from your local dealer to find out exactly what your style is. 528, 550, M5, 328, 335, M3, Sedan, Coupe, Sports Package, 18" rims, 19" rims, all have a distinct styles, performance and fuel economy. You should get to know that a bit more before you sign up and get stuck for 3 years. And don't worry - you have plenty of time. As soon as these 2008's clear, if they ever do, they'll apply the same incentives to the 2009's. In many cases they already have. So take your time. Spend lots of time on bmwusa.com, bimmerfest.com, spend a couple hours at dealers looking at different combos.

I didn't get nav in a couple cars I bought in 2004 & 2005 and totally regretted it. My new 335 has nav. BTW the 2009 iDrive has been redesigned and seems to be much nicer than the 2008 in my loaner car.
  • I am being offered the following deal:

MSRP - $44,345
    Invoice - $40,820 (on Edmunds)
    Dealer price - $41,400

The dealer is claiming that the invoice price above does not include his MACO/Training fee of $380. He is located in MD. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
    that dealer didn't lie to you. Invoice price list on Edmunds doesn't include Training and MACO fee since MACO is location related.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Posts: 139
    Executive Demo Lease with 10,000mile already
    2008 BMW 335XI
    * Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather
    * 300 Horsepower 6-Cylinder Turbocharged Engine, 25 MPG Highway, xDrive All-Wheel-Drive
    * Options include Premium Package, Heated Front Seats, Automatic Transmission, iPod/USB Adapter
    * Free Maintenance for 4 Years / 50,000 Miles
    * Lease for $489/Month for 36 Months with 10,000 Miles per Year
    * $0 Capitalized Cost Reduction
    * Sales Tax and Inception Fees (First Month's Payment, Refundable Security Deposit If Applicable, BMW Acquisition Fee, Motor Vehicle Fees, Dealer Documentation Fee) Due at Signing

The ad is not from a BMW dealer, but from an independent leasing company.
  • Anyone buy a car from BMW of Tenafly ?? It use to be Difeo BMW but looks like it's been re-named and part of Penske Automotive Group.

If so, how was your experience ?? Was it legit or a bait-and-switch type of shop ??
  • BD87BD87 Posts: 2
    Hello. Can someone give me some insight for this current lease offer that I have received: (i apologize but this is a cross post)

This is for a 2008 328xi it was used as a dealer loaner and has approx. 6K miles. the lease term is 36 months, 15K per year

monaco blue/tan leather
    premium package
    cold weather
    steptronic auto
    ipod

MSRP: 41,325
    Dealer invoice: 38485 (based on wholesale)
    Offered sale price - 35,325

money factor - .00130
    residual - 56%

due at signing: 1500
    monthly payment - 489 (including 7% sales tax)

i have not yet received the details on any additional charges, i know the destination was quoted at 775 though.

please let me know your thoughts. thanks in advance
  • Hi,
    I live in Los Angeles, and I'm looking for a 2008 328i sedan with the following options:
    Monaco Blue
    Automatic
    Premium Package
    ipod adapter
    xenon lights (maybe)

So far i've received quotes of $36370(includes xenon and ipod) which is $445 below invoice but not the color I wanted (bronze platinum) and $35455 (no xenon or ipod) which is $630 below invoice.

Are these the best or should I negotiate and which one do you think is a better option?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who have been frustrated by some manufacturers’ tendency to place safety related vehicle options into expensive packages. Have you ever wanted to equip a vehicle with specific safety features that required the purchase of an entire package? If so, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, December 12.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hi - new to the board. Wondering if anyone can use their knowledge (I don't have much!!) and help me figure out if this lease deal I have been offered by a local dealer in CT is good or whether I should be expecting something cheaper. All help much appreciated!!

'09 328 xi Sedan
    Metallic paint
    Auto Transmission
    Xenon headlights
    ipod integrator
    fold down seats

MSRP - $39,675
    Dealer sale price - $38,500

Monthly payment for 36 month lease 12k miles and $3k down payment - $485.20.

Is that a good deal?!! Thanks...
  • eights38eights38 Posts: 137
    Hi scotty100,

I think you can do better on the selling price, but I need some more information to make an educated decision.

Are you paying your sales tax upfront or is it being rolled-into your monthly payment?
    Can you please provide a break-down of your $3000 down payment?

Thanks,
    Matt
    eights38@gmail.com
  • Hi Matt

Ok, so this is where I get a little confused and I admit I should have pressed for more details/clarity when the dealer was throwing out numbers at me. But I admit I was kinda sitting there pondering the performance/handling rather than paying close enough attention to the numbers...

From the notes I have scribbled down in front of me I have the "Cost of Purchase" as $2274 which will be in addition to the $3000 down payment I am prepared to make. Regards sales tax...hmm...I believe it is part of the final monthly figure of $485.20...does any of that make sense?! Thanks for helping me understand...I'm completely useless in front of a car salesman for some reason!
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    Is your total out of pocket $5274?

What dealer in CT are you working with. I live in the state as well. Keep in mind that there is a $299 doc fee. I've purchased my last several cars in NY to avoid this among other junk charges.

The tax in CT is rolled into the monthly payment, it should be reflected in what you received. However, you really need to clarify.

Ask for a complete break down of your costs at inception. Also ask for the invoice price, residual value, money factor, etc.
  • Hi

Yes, I really did need to clarify and spend some time working it out. Which I did yesterday. Basically the deal I've been offered is:

328xdrive
    Sale Price: $38,500
    Lease Period: 3 yrs @ 12k miles/yr
    Monthly Payment: $485.20
    Money due at inception: $3k

I have asked them to clarify what exactly the money at inception is. The response I got was first month payment, m/v charges & security deposit. That doesn't give me all the info I need as it still seems a little high. I would have thought that all those charges would amount to something around 1880 bucks so not sure where the other 1200 bucks to take it up to $3k is coming from. I asked for a detailed breakdown but so far not forthcoming. I am a little wary of doing this deal and will now shop around having got a lot more insight on the process from this board. Would still appreciate any feedback on this offer. Is it a decent deal? Thanks...
  • Hi CarMan and everyone,

First off I would like to thank you all for all of the hard work that is put in to this forum. It has been extremely helpful for researching a new car lease.

I am looking at doing a 3 year lease for a 2009 335i Sedan and would like your opinions on the offer I was given below:

2009 BMW 335i Sedan
    MSRP $49,050
    Sale Price $47,650
    Sales Tax $0 (BMW will cover sales tax for the month of December)
    Lease Term 12k miles / 36 months
    Residual 62%
    Interest Rate 2.30%
    Misc fees $725 Acquisition, $130 Doc Fee (There may be another <$100 fee or two I am missing)

Monthly Payment $680 per month

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the terms above.

Thanks,

IChoChoChooseU
  • IChoChoChooseU - can you explain the sales tax coverage? I haven't seen that anywhere else. So basically if you live in a state with 7% tax, you're getting that for free?

On your deal - do you know what the invoice price is? I'm seeing others getting invoice and I've been quoted $500 over invoice since November. I would expect about a $3500 difference from MSRP, but that's just a guess without knowing the options.Is it possible they buried the sales tax benefit in there?

Thanks,
    ahdanna
    Hi,

Do you know if 'Sales Tax $0 (BMW will cover sales tax for the month of December) ' apply to all 3 series in purchase? I have just purchased my 328ci two days ago. But dealer didn't mention it to me at all. Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.
  • Hi. First time post, but have enjoyed the site as I get ready to negotiate on a new, leased 3-series when we turn the leased 328i (2004 w/ 2 years extd lease on orig 3 year term--we loved the car!) in this weekend. First of all, I'm quite surprised at the negotiated prices people are posting being so high/close MSRP in this environment?

BMW North America just purchased 15 acres to store all the vehicles that they can't sell and it's too expensive to hold in port. Don't buyers of big ticket items realize that the bargaining power is with the consumer right now?

With the sales environment as terrible as it has been, what has been the experience of others in getting the negotiated value down to move the car off the lot, particularly in SE states (GA, FL) where the economy is more than awful? I would think they'll do anything to create lot space.

Also, what are current residual rates and money factor rates on 3yr/36 mos leases?

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,090
    The "No Sales Tax" is a Texas thing..

It isn't restricted to BMW..

Also... lease questions belong in the 3-series Lease Questions forum...

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,090
    BMW North America just purchased 15 acres to store all the vehicles that they can't sell and it's too expensive to hold in port.

Do you have a link to that information?

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I cannot find a link to the story but saw it on CNN either 2 or 3 weeks ago where they did a story in conjunction w/ Mercedes about looking for land to house all their cars. Mercedes looking in CA. BMW said to have bought either in NC or SC (where they have the manufacturing plant and Charleston is the largest port for BMW NA). I wouldn't expect BMW to put out a release saying that they'd bought the land as it would be a major red flag re: inventory.
  • I just purchased a 09 335i with xDrive, 6sp manual.
    Silver, premium + sports + navigation + cold weather + iPod + xm sat

500 over invoice

Fantastic car.

Pleasant buying experience at Wagner BMW in Shrewsbury, MA.

I might have gotten a better deal if I waited a couple of months, but my old car was dying, and they located a car at a nearby dealership with exactly all the options and color I was looking for (except the xm sat - total waste IMO). No regrets.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    If you have a family to drive around the 528? You are talking about 5.3 vs. high 6s 0-60 times. Also if you are in a metro area with rough roads the 5 will give you a better ride. I have owned both models.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Where I bought my car. They do treat their customers well throughout the sales and service cycles.
  • espanespan Posts: 2
    sdboxer,

Did your dealer add Training (180), Advertising(250) and paint (500) to your invoice? I am assuming your invoice number does not include those and is the number you get from the edmunds calculation.

My dealer added those fees to his offer price. I don't see buyers on this forum are paying those. Am I right?
  • Ahdanna,

Simply put, BMW will pay for the sales tax on your new vehicle lease for the month of December. I believe they set aside a fixed amount of money to do this discount, so if they run out of money before the month ends you not receive this discount.

To get invoice pricing, use www.edmunds.com or cars.msn.com and build your vehicle. It will list invoice and MSRP. You can calculate sales tax once you know the invoice price. Ichochochooseu
  • Thanks! This is in Texas only though? I'm in NJ...
  • Looking at '08 328i sedan in Houston, TX. Jet Black w/ Premium Package, Automatic Transmission, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adapter. Dealer offer is $35,800 + TTL. They told me invoice is around $36,100.

Is this a good deal?