Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who have been frustrated by some manufacturers’ tendency to place safety related vehicle options into expensive packages. Have you ever wanted to equip a vehicle with specific safety features that required the purchase of an entire package? If so, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, December 12.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• scotty100scotty100 Member Posts: 3
    Hi - new to the board. Wondering if anyone can use their knowledge (I don't have much!!) and help me figure out if this lease deal I have been offered by a local dealer in CT is good or whether I should be expecting something cheaper. All help much appreciated!!

'09 328 xi Sedan
    Metallic paint
    Auto Transmission
    Xenon headlights
    ipod integrator
    fold down seats

MSRP - $39,675
    Dealer sale price - $38,500

Monthly payment for 36 month lease 12k miles and $3k down payment - $485.20.

Is that a good deal?!! Thanks...
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    Hi scotty100,

I think you can do better on the selling price, but I need some more information to make an educated decision.

Are you paying your sales tax upfront or is it being rolled-into your monthly payment?
    Can you please provide a break-down of your $3000 down payment?

Thanks,
    Matt
    eights38@gmail.com
    Hi Matt

Ok, so this is where I get a little confused and I admit I should have pressed for more details/clarity when the dealer was throwing out numbers at me. But I admit I was kinda sitting there pondering the performance/handling rather than paying close enough attention to the numbers...

From the notes I have scribbled down in front of me I have the "Cost of Purchase" as $2274 which will be in addition to the $3000 down payment I am prepared to make. Regards sales tax...hmm...I believe it is part of the final monthly figure of $485.20...does any of that make sense?! Thanks for helping me understand...I'm completely useless in front of a car salesman for some reason!
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Is your total out of pocket $5274?

What dealer in CT are you working with. I live in the state as well. Keep in mind that there is a $299 doc fee. I've purchased my last several cars in NY to avoid this among other junk charges.

The tax in CT is rolled into the monthly payment, it should be reflected in what you received. However, you really need to clarify.

Ask for a complete break down of your costs at inception. Also ask for the invoice price, residual value, money factor, etc.
    Hi

Yes, I really did need to clarify and spend some time working it out. Which I did yesterday. Basically the deal I've been offered is:

328xdrive
    Sale Price: $38,500
    Lease Period: 3 yrs @ 12k miles/yr
    Monthly Payment: $485.20
    Money due at inception: $3k

I have asked them to clarify what exactly the money at inception is. The response I got was first month payment, m/v charges & security deposit. That doesn't give me all the info I need as it still seems a little high. I would have thought that all those charges would amount to something around 1880 bucks so not sure where the other 1200 bucks to take it up to $3k is coming from. I asked for a detailed breakdown but so far not forthcoming. I am a little wary of doing this deal and will now shop around having got a lot more insight on the process from this board. Would still appreciate any feedback on this offer. Is it a decent deal? Thanks...
  • ichochochooseuichochochooseu Member Posts: 12
    Hi CarMan and everyone,

First off I would like to thank you all for all of the hard work that is put in to this forum. It has been extremely helpful for researching a new car lease.

I am looking at doing a 3 year lease for a 2009 335i Sedan and would like your opinions on the offer I was given below:

2009 BMW 335i Sedan
    MSRP $49,050
    Sale Price $47,650
    Sales Tax $0 (BMW will cover sales tax for the month of December)
    Lease Term 12k miles / 36 months
    Residual 62%
    Interest Rate 2.30%
    Misc fees $725 Acquisition, $130 Doc Fee (There may be another <$100 fee or two I am missing)

Monthly Payment $680 per month

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on the terms above.

Thanks,

IChoChoChooseU
  • ahdannaahdanna Member Posts: 52
    IChoChoChooseU - can you explain the sales tax coverage? I haven't seen that anywhere else. So basically if you live in a state with 7% tax, you're getting that for free?

On your deal - do you know what the invoice price is? I'm seeing others getting invoice and I've been quoted $500 over invoice since November. I would expect about a $3500 difference from MSRP, but that's just a guess without knowing the options.Is it possible they buried the sales tax benefit in there?

Thanks,
    ahdanna
  • xman7xman7 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

Do you know if 'Sales Tax $0 (BMW will cover sales tax for the month of December) ' apply to all 3 series in purchase? I have just purchased my 328ci two days ago. But dealer didn't mention it to me at all. Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.
  • romathwaromathwa Member Posts: 2
    Hi. First time post, but have enjoyed the site as I get ready to negotiate on a new, leased 3-series when we turn the leased 328i (2004 w/ 2 years extd lease on orig 3 year term--we loved the car!) in this weekend. First of all, I'm quite surprised at the negotiated prices people are posting being so high/close MSRP in this environment?

BMW North America just purchased 15 acres to store all the vehicles that they can't sell and it's too expensive to hold in port. Don't buyers of big ticket items realize that the bargaining power is with the consumer right now?

With the sales environment as terrible as it has been, what has been the experience of others in getting the negotiated value down to move the car off the lot, particularly in SE states (GA, FL) where the economy is more than awful? I would think they'll do anything to create lot space.

Also, what are current residual rates and money factor rates on 3yr/36 mos leases?

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    The "No Sales Tax" is a Texas thing..

It isn't restricted to BMW..

Also... lease questions belong in the 3-series Lease Questions forum...

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

BMW North America just purchased 15 acres to store all the vehicles that they can't sell and it's too expensive to hold in port.

Do you have a link to that information?

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• romathwaromathwa Member Posts: 2
    I cannot find a link to the story but saw it on CNN either 2 or 3 weeks ago where they did a story in conjunction w/ Mercedes about looking for land to house all their cars. Mercedes looking in CA. BMW said to have bought either in NC or SC (where they have the manufacturing plant and Charleston is the largest port for BMW NA). I wouldn't expect BMW to put out a release saying that they'd bought the land as it would be a major red flag re: inventory.
  • sdboxersdboxer Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 09 335i with xDrive, 6sp manual.
    Silver, premium + sports + navigation + cold weather + iPod + xm sat

500 over invoice

Fantastic car.

Pleasant buying experience at Wagner BMW in Shrewsbury, MA.

I might have gotten a better deal if I waited a couple of months, but my old car was dying, and they located a car at a nearby dealership with exactly all the options and color I was looking for (except the xm sat - total waste IMO). No regrets.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    If you have a family to drive around the 528? You are talking about 5.3 vs. high 6s 0-60 times. Also if you are in a metro area with rough roads the 5 will give you a better ride. I have owned both models.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Where I bought my car. They do treat their customers well throughout the sales and service cycles.
  • espanespan Member Posts: 2
    sdboxer,

Did your dealer add Training (180), Advertising(250) and paint (500) to your invoice? I am assuming your invoice number does not include those and is the number you get from the edmunds calculation.

My dealer added those fees to his offer price. I don't see buyers on this forum are paying those. Am I right?
  • ichochochooseuichochochooseu Member Posts: 12
    Ahdanna,

Simply put, BMW will pay for the sales tax on your new vehicle lease for the month of December. I believe they set aside a fixed amount of money to do this discount, so if they run out of money before the month ends you not receive this discount.

To get invoice pricing, use www.edmunds.com or cars.msn.com and build your vehicle. It will list invoice and MSRP. You can calculate sales tax once you know the invoice price. Ichochochooseu
  • ahdannaahdanna Member Posts: 52
    Thanks! This is in Texas only though? I'm in NJ...
  • mathers3mathers3 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at '08 328i sedan in Houston, TX. Jet Black w/ Premium Package, Automatic Transmission, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adapter. Dealer offer is $35,800 + TTL. They told me invoice is around $36,100.

Is this a good deal?
  • gnrajagopalgnrajagopal Member Posts: 4
    the invoice on auto trans is 1200. bmw is passing that as a credit to dealers. the dealer is giving u 400 of that. out here in the bay area, you could get all of 1200 , so essentially u shld get 1200 below inv.

knock off 1200 of the invoice and let the dealer know that this is how much u r willing to pay and wait till he gets back.
  • gatorbrickgatorbrick Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 330i with 94,000 miles. A gaskette blew and I took it into the shop for repair. They are telling me I need a new engine. Does that sound right to any of you folks?

What should I pay for a 2009 BMW 335i 4dr with nav system and satellite radio, etc.?

Thanks
  • 1lotlizard1lotlizard Member Posts: 14
    I am considering a 1 or 3 series, but have read that run flat tires are a serious issue. Tirerack has fairly low survey results for the Turanzas, but it says Continentals are better. Is there a suitable way to address the tire issues -- excessive noise, premature wear, availability and cost if you need a replacement, etc? Do you regret paying BMW money and then being saddled with untenable tire issues? Also, what expenses (alignment, for example) have you experienced that are NOT part of BMW's all-inclusive service??? I currently have a 9-3 convertible that is smooth, quiet, holds 2 golf bags and a large suitcase in the trunk with the top down, and has no crazy tire issues. I don't want to pay for a star athlete that is required to play in inferior shoes!!! Any input is appreciated.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    have a 2003 330i with 94,000 miles. A gaskette blew and I took it into the shop for repair. They are telling me I need a new engine. Does that sound right to any of you folks?

How did the shop "screw" you?
    Which gasket failed?
    How long did you drive it after the failure?
    If you ran the car without oil or coolant for any period of time you almost certainly did destroy your engine...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sdboxersdboxer Member Posts: 2
    espan,

Yes I had to add training + MACO (or some such thing) + metallic paint to the invoice price shown by edmunds. It was 500 over that sum.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Run Flat Tires: My Dad has an '07 X5 3.0si w/ Sport Suspension and run flat tires. After 30K miles (on a very heavy truck) I see NO signs of wear at all. The car rides so smoothly that it is almost Lexus-like (not a good thing, he liked his '04 X5 w/ Sport Suspension better).

My Mom has an '08 328xi w/ run flat tires and she hasn't experienced any noticable difference in tire noise. She says the car rides too harsh. It might be the run flat tires or the fact that she went from an '05 E60 530i to the '08 328xi.

If you so get a flat, then you are going to be out some cash. Run Flat tires are more expensive than conventional tires. Most shops won't repair a runflat tire (for liability purposes), so a flat means you don't get stuck on the side of the road, but you will have to eat the cost of a new tire. Since tires should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs, you will be out the cost of 2 new runflat tires.

Other costs:

Are you buying or leasing? If you're leasing, then all you have to worry about is scheduled maintenance. The car is BMW's problem at the end of the lease. If you are buying, then I would do a break in service (like they give the M cars at 1200 miles), then at least double BMW's recommended service intervals. I'd have the brake fluid and tranny fluid flushed every couple years. Alignments aren't covered.

No offense to your Saab ( I used to have an '00 9-3), but a BMW 1 series or 3 series on wooden wagon wheels is a superior driving car to your 9-3 convertible.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Leased 3 series BMWs generally need their tires replaced as anything lower than a set amount is a charge at dealer prices for tires (think about 2k for tires). You supposedly can't return a leased 3 series with regular tires. I dumped my e90 lease so i have no idea if the guy who took over my 3 series returned it with the RFTs I gave him (I replaced my RFTs with real tires and the difference was significant - handling, noise, gas mileage).

BMWs in my experience do not need an alignment. Hard driving, track driving etc and each time I tried to get an alignment I was told the car is within spec, save the money.
  • mattress2mattress2 Member Posts: 7
    Any 1 or 3 series with sport package and 18 inch wheels will ride harshly on factory run-flats. These tires go flat easily, which can also result in rim damage. Both are very expensive, which is why BMW offers wheel/tire insurance. If you have a lease, you are basically stuck.Also, these tires are not generally available. So if you take a weekend road trip and get a flat, you could be stuck for several days waiting for a replacement. As a result, I am reluctant to take my 330i sport package on long trips. A great driving car, but it definitely has serious tire issues....
  • joesaojoesao Member Posts: 19
    I assumed a lease for a friend on a 2007 335i for $261/month because he put down $10k at lease signing. I have to turn the car back in January and BMWfs is quoting me >$600/mo and so are two dealers, to re-lease the car.

Why would the rate jump up so dramatically? Is there anything I can do about it? One dealer actually quoted me a 2008 335i with lower payments than this -- to me this doesn't make any sense. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Any thoughts?

BMW FS will only offer it's best subvented lease rates on new 2008 and 2009 cars. The only time BMWFS offers low interest rates on used cars is when they want to move certain years and models of CPO units- and that money is for loans, not leases. If you like the car you have, buy it. Otherwise, rent the 2008.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• wikibuyerwikibuyer Member Posts: 4
    as a point of reference, in july '08 i negotiated for my '08 328i sedan, black on black, with auto trans, power seats, bluetooth and ipod with an MSRP of $36,995 for $33,259 (including a credit of $1500 for the auto trans. i guess it was $1500 in july and only $1200 now?) i don't have the exact invoice anymore but according to edmunds, the invoice is $34,125. i live in southern california. seems like you can do better. especially if they have lots of 2008s to move. i also posted my deal and some tips on wikibuyer.org
  • MRHammarMRHammar Member Posts: 30
    First off, I appreciate how helpful these forums are for prospective car buyers. Without them, I would have paid almost $1500 too much on the 07 A4 lease I am returning soon, so thanks!

I am looking for the best lease (36 mos, 12k/yr.) deal on the following car:

2009 328i w/ X drive
    6 speed manual
    Heated seats
    iPod adapter
    (willing to consider power seats, cold weather pkg instead of heated seats if price is right)

The MF I was quoted earlier this month was .0016 and residual of 62%. Are these still correct and until when?

One dealer quoted a sell price of $36,900 (MSRP $38,670) on one with metallic paint, cold weather and power seats (payment incl. tax about $534 a month with only 1st payment and DMV fees down). When I didn't respond, he just emailed asking "What would it take to get this done today?" so I want to squeeze hard and make it hurt! :-)

What should I ask for?
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    December rate for your case is .0015. Each month has a new rate.
    Invoice Price for your configuration is $36,148.
    Thanks Firebird.

Has anyone been able to get a 2009 with manual at invoice or lower?
  • limu_99limu_99 Member Posts: 4
    I am working on it. but the car has 30 miles, don't wanna buy one that has been test driven before. I will post the final deal after it closed.
    Thanks limu...good luck. Can't wait to get a deal done and start driving.

A little off topic, but what are your thoughts on a 328i/335i with snow tires versus a 328xi/335xi? I have read mixed things about performance of these RWD vehicles in the snow and slick roads. I am coming from an AWD A4 that can go anywhere, but have driven older RWD (slowly and stressfully) in the snow before. I would love to have the performance benefits of a RWD if snow tires will allow me to get around during the 4-5 months when they might be needed.
  • chewy734chewy734 Member Posts: 37
    The 328i/335i with good snow tires (like the Blizzak WS-60s) will be noticeably better in the snow than a 328xi/335xi with all-season tires. Good snow tires are mandatory on RWD cars in harsh winter, and those ones I suggested above work great in heavy snow and thick ice conditions.
  • pravinmpravinm Member Posts: 12
    Hi everybody,

Really need your help with a 2009 328i lease in the DFW area. Looking at a loaded 2009 328i. The MSRP is about $44k. The dealer is quoting a .00205 MF and 62% residual on a 3 yr/36k lease. They are not really coming down on the price of the car much. What should i expect to pay for a lease on this car under the terms mentioned above? The dealer came down to $621/month with $1000 cash down (includes first month payment). I think the MF is still high. Looks like it should be around .0015 based on some quotes in this forum.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Happy Holidays!
    sign all the paper works today. I was shocked after he offered me the price.

Here it is:
    premium pkg, sports pkg, lether seat, heated front, navi, ipod, sports steering and paddle. Out door price before tax and other fees: $46000
  • soapdish616soapdish616 Member Posts: 31
    Just pulled the trigger on the following deal on Monday.

2008 328i Coupe
    Montego Blue / Gray / Gray Poplar Wood
    Premium pkg
    Sport pkg
    Xenon lamps
    Heated Seats
    Park Distance Control
    Paddle Shifters

Exec demo with 10,000 miles (BMW NA Corp car). Never was titled so qualified for new car 0.9% financing. Sale price: $33,500 + ttl @ 0.9%... in-service date of 2/08 so still has 3 years of warranty + ultimate service. MSRP sticker: $44k.

Very happy with the car.. :shades: got a flat on the next day so lucky I had purchased Tire/Wheel insurance. Tire replacement was "free" or covered under this insurance.

Feels like I got a brand new car (amazing/mint condition) but saved mucho $ and got 0.9%!
    sorry Mrhammer, forgot to mention, it's 2009 jet black, germany build. it's now 46000 even (I forgot the paper in the car), but i can remember it's $500 off invoice, plus the 0.9 apr. for me, this is the best deal of the year. good luck on your new car.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    If you put a set of dedicated winter tires on your RWD BMW, it will handle the white stuff with ease. Snow tires coupled with the car's stability control & traction control systems will get you where you need to go with no problems.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fullofivyfullofivy Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard or know of a price increase at start of the new year? That's what a dealer told me. TIA!

Happy Holidays.
  • usairusair Member Posts: 23
    can you say which dealer and where and how much are your payments. I am also looking for a Exec Demo
    I've heard the same thing.. It's pretty typical for this time of year for BMW.

It won't affect cars already at the dealership..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• xman7xman7 Member Posts: 10
    what's that?
    I think s/he was referring to the price increase rumored earlier in the thread.

limu, congrats on your deal! Sounds like you got a winner. I am hoping to finalize mine before the new year.

Does anyone know what is the typical change to residuals when the calendar year changes? Is it recommended to try to close a deal before year end for any particular reason?

Happy holidays everyone.
  • soapdish616soapdish616 Member Posts: 31
    My payments are $575/mo with ~$4800 and some change down. Purchase price was $34,059. I wanted a clean monthly payment so the down payment was close to $4800k, which mostly paid for TTL. This is at 0.9% APR.
  • davidt1davidt1 Member Posts: 12
    sdboxer,

I am looking at doing a deal at Wagner as well. Did they include any training and/or advertising fees in their invoice cost? If so, how much?
    Thks
    David T
  • canes86canes86 Member Posts: 2
    I was planning on waiting for better rates on the 06 CPO 5 Series, but fell head over heals for a 2006 CPO 330CI with 25,000 miles. It is silver titanium with black leather interior and has the following packages:

Premium
    Sport
    Xenon

Purchase price was $26,000.00. With the .9% financing over 60 months and BMW Financial making the first two payments, I am effectively not paying interest.

This is my first BMW. What an amazing automobile.