Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Enjoy.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Great car!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• paowowpaowow Member Posts: 7
    I am currently leasing 2005 325i with this dealer which ends Jan 31, 09

I guess I qualify for the BMW "loyalty" program.

Here is the quote:

2009 328i (Jet Black or Alpine White no Metallic)

options - Premium pkg, Navigation, auto trans, Ipod Adaptor

Money factor: 0.0015

Residual factor: 63%

Selling price: $ 38700

MSRP: $41400

1. $1500 drive off

36M * 10000 miles/yr = $452.82 + tax

2. $2500 drive off

36M * 10000 miles/yr = $424.96 + tax

Is this a good deal?
    Consider doing MSDs instead of putting any cash down.
  • canes86canes86 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! Though I will say that having previously had two SUV's, that it was a learning experience (the hard way) how to angle up my driveway, which I knew was steep for cars, but after two attempts realized that I could only go up using the right side entrance and to park safely away from parking curbs, that was a little bit of a shock during the first 24 hours after getting the car. However, from reading other posts, it does seem like I am not the first person to scrape the bottom part of the front bumper this way and no matter how hard I try to avoid it, that it probably won't last time I do it either.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Sweet car canes86! Enjoy it! That car will put smiles on your face for years to come!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• airguard2airguard2 Member Posts: 2
    wikibuyer.. It looks like you got a good deal when your leased 328i. Can you tell me who you dealt with at riverside BMW? I'm looking to purchase a new 328i.
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    $23700 for 07 328 xi, 25000 mi, premium package, cold weather very good condition. Is this a good deal?
    test drive was pleasant but noticed white smoke upon kick down on 2 instances but was fine afterward and could not see any further smoke. Is that a problem and how do I check it?
  • calvindawhitecalvindawhite Member Posts: 4
    I live in socal and I got a quote for BMW 328i sedan with following option:
    Premium Package
    Navigation
    Auto Trans
    Xenon headlights
    Metallic paint

I built it online and msrp comes out to me $42650
    I got quoted for $39999 + tax
    I think invoice is around $39000? I'm not too sure..

Also, with the .9% financing, I'm saving about $720 (20k down, 36months). And if I don't get it now, I'll lose it and it'll go up 2.9%, so if I can't push more than $720, there is no point waiting. :(

good deal?
    There's $1200 automatic transmission credit on 3 series cars. I would be shooting for 1k under invoice right now. This is carrying into 2009 from the internal memo I saw the other day. Sadly the .9% is gone tomorrow to be replaced by a 2.9.

Offer 1k below invoice and see what they say. There are plenty of dealers around SoCal that will play ball if they still have an 08 328i to sell. I know a few San Diego dealers still have 08 328s.
  • briborbribor Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at leasing a 2008 328 with:

- Premium Package
    - Auto Trans
    - IPod Connector

MSRP of $38,600 for $34,085. Seems like a great deal with a Money Factor of .00090 and residual at 58%. Problem is with the trade-in. I have a 2003 325i with Premium Package, Moonroof, Auto, Harmon Kardon Sound and Xenon Lights. KBB says for fair condition it is minimally worth $10,175 and dealer will not budge from $9,000. If I sell it on my own I could probably get about $12,500 for it but I think they may have worked the low price on the car in relation to the trade in value (which is creating a negative equity for me of $3,000).

Any ideas of if this is a good deal to pull off tomorrow?
    hmmm my dealer told me that the auto trans incentive for the 3 series isn't happening anymore for 2009 models..

Also, I actually want the 2009 instead of 2008 because the model changed (kinda).
    With that said.. i still don't know if it's an okay price... :(

but thx for the info blueguy!
    I didn't say 2009 models, I said the credit is carrying into 2009 for 2008 3 series cars.
  • randyjstarkrandyjstark Member Posts: 99
    Here is how my deal came out so far, I think I made out pretty good - thoughts? Please note, that I will be doing a European Delivery (ED) of the car, which results in the substantial savings.

MSRP calculated by dealer was with 2009 pricing (price increase of 300), saving me a few bucks/month of my payment so I added another option!)

US MSRP:
    Base BMW 2009 328i Xdrive: 35600
    Options:
    Nav: 2,100
    Comfort Access: 500
    Assist: 750
    Destination: 825
    Total MSRP (US): 39,775 --- This is the MSRP that was used to calculate my lease

European Delivery (ED) Invoice Pricing: Everything at 2008 invoice pricing + $250 dealer profit
    Base: 30205
    Navigation: 1,910
    Comfort Access: 455
    Assist: 685
    Destination: 825
    Total ED invoice (with dealer profit): $34,330 (Gross Cap Cost)

Money Factor: .00150 (buy rate)
    Multiple Security Deposits lower my MF by .00049 to .00101
    PA State Tax: 9%
    Miles: 15k/year for 36 months
    Residual Value: 60%

Note: If residual values and/or MF rates change, I can lock into a better rate anytime between now and the first week of March, which is pretty sick!

Dealer calculated payment to be:
    $380.92/month

If I had elected for no options, the car would be only $344/month for a base model!

Note: On all ED purchases, BMW pays the 2nd months payment while the vehicle is in transit from europe to the USA.

Total Due at signing: 4498.57, (of which 3200 (MSD) will be refundable given good condition at turn in. - MSD also refundable in case of a total loss.)
    First Payment: 380.92
    Aquisition Fee: 725
    Security deposits: 3200 ($400 x 8) - this is the 1 required security deposit plus 7 additional for MF discount
    Licensing Fees: 192.65

Hopefully you were able to follow my numbers. With that said, do you think that I did a good job at negotiating this deal? The dealer did not charge a doc fee, but did charge a licensing fee of 192.65 due at delivery - I spoke to them about this before signing the papers because I wanted to get a vanity plate, so they will most likely be dropping this charge before I take delivery - I need to get the vehicle VIN # before I can order my vanity plate. Also, I do have the option of rolling the acquisition fee into the gross cap cost - do you think this is a good idea given my election to do the max MSD?
    If you are negative on your current car and owe over 10k on a 2003, you probably shouldn't be getting a new car.

If you're set on a new car, the dealer is lying about the money factor. On 2008s it's a .00075. They're marking it up.

Also, never trade-in a car, but especially don't do it if you're getting negative equity. The dealer is suckering you.

The residual is 56% on 15k, 58% on 12k and 59% on 10k.

The price on the 328 is pretty good but don't give them your car and go 3k extra in the hole. That's a bad financial decision.
    Looks like a solid deal. ED is a blast - I did it in 2006.

I would stick with the MSDs. The ROI is so good that you simply won't find anything else that will save you that much money over the next 3 years.
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, should never had purchased the car at end of lease. Values have dropped a lot. Problem is that now it seems like everything is breaking down on the car (even though only 56K miles) and it cost, out of warranty, almost $1,000 last year in maintenance/repairs.

Thanks for the advice on the money factor. It had been .00075 earlier and then they said it was raised to .00090 since no security deposit (although I am a previous owner and have never paid a security deposit that I can remember).

I may try to sell the car on the own and see what I can get for it. Do you think they have enough wiggle room to give me more on the trade (KBB wholesale rate is $10,200).

Thanks.
  • goldendragon18goldendragon18 Member Posts: 15
    yea 39k is around invoice but with this economy i would haggle more about the price. haha maybe 36k if youre good at arguing and stubborn.
    i think that paying around invoice with the desperation in the dealers is stupid. even if it is an 09, bmw did not expect the drop in sales. it would be a good time to get a better deal
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    I believe that you did pretty good, however, I hope that you know that ED cars' leases start 1 month before the delivery, as ED requires that the car be confirmed by purchasing it 1 month before, which also applies to leases. Provided that the current MF is pretty low, i.e., 3.6%, which you have reduced to 2.42%, it would be smart to finance the acquisition fee, as well as any other portion of out-of-pocket cash, and thus reduce the out-of-pocket cash at delivery. However, note that this will likely put you over $400, which will automatically increase your security deposit to $450 x 8 = $3,600 instead of being $3,200, which will not make it as sweet as before. What I would do is let them calculate to reduce your out-of-pocket cash at delivery for the amount to bring your payment to be exactly $400 per month, and keep that cash instead paying it at delivery.
  • wikibuyerwikibuyer Member Posts: 4
    roland is a good guy. he's a fleet/internet manager.
  • wikibuyerwikibuyer Member Posts: 4
    for your reference, i just helped my friend buy a 328i coupe in LA last week on 12/28. automatic transmission, sports package, BMW Assist with Bluetooth and iPod adapter in Jet Black exterior and black interior leatherette. MSRP = $41,105. Purchase price = $39,000. invoice was $38,500. we got that price in calabasas. he also posted his deal on wikibuyer.org.

unfortunately, we couldn't find any 08 coupes left in the configuration he wanted in this area. also, with more flexibility on options, one might do even better, such as invoice or below.
    I was just offered a 2008 328 in Sparkling Graphite with Steptronic Auto and i-Pod Adaptor but no Premium Package for $31,883. Does this seem like a fair deal? I had been offered $34,085 on a jet black 328 with same options plus premium. I thought that since the invoice on a PP is $3,000 that the price might be a bit better.

Any thoughts and any news on any new LMF and residual rates for 2009 (dealer said special programs were ending yesterday?)

Thanks!
  • MRHammarMRHammar Member Posts: 30
    Bribor, that sounds OK...from what I have been reading, the best most people have been able to negotiate is about $500 over invoice (roughly $2000 under MSRP when you factor in advertising fees, training costs, etc.). BMW is subsidizing the cost of the automatic transmission to dealers on 08 3 series, so you should not consider that as part of the cost of the vehicle on a 2008.

I have it on pretty good authority that the MF for a 09 3 series sedan will jump to 0.00175 but the big hit is on the residual which is declining 3% (to 57% from 60% on a 36 month, 15k miles/year lease). That will make about a $55 a month payment difference on a ~$40k car compared to December. I am not sure about the other rates, but I would imagine similar changes would be in effect.
    Thanks, MRHammar. For the 2008, do you think the residual (58%)will stay the same as it was last month? I got pre-approved for financing at a LMF of .00075 and they said that rate is locked in for 60 days.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    The new rule on ED leases is 7 days in advance.. That doesn't mean the dealer won't try to get you to sign earlier, but 7 days is all that is required... as of a few months ago..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MRHammarMRHammar Member Posts: 30
    That was smart! I locked in my 09 328i rate at .0015 yesterday and was told the same thing about 60 days.

I am just speculating because I did not pay attention to the 08 numbers, but I would guess they would go down some too, but perhaps less than the 3% that the 2009 was getting reduced.
  • hemanthhhemanthh Member Posts: 40
    Hi guys,

I just bought a 2006 330xi (certified pre-owned) which hash the premium, cold weather ans sports package. I added in the NAV. List was 32k. Got it down to 26k after trading in by 97 Honda Prelude (which had a lot of issues including body work). Im kinda proud of the deal I got. The .9% apr from BMW and the two free payments (1000 bucks) doesnt hurt either..

Whatdyathink?

Thanks!
  • randyjstarkrandyjstark Member Posts: 99
    Thank you for the info! This helps alot with my situation. I will keep u guys posted as soon as all of the details are worked out!

Thanks to everyone again for all the valuable info you have given me,
    Randy
  • pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Though you didn't mention the mileage, it sounds like a good deal! Especially with 2 months off on top of it as well.
  • owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    HI,
    LOOKING FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHETHER I SHOULD BUY A NEW 2009 335I SEDAN OR KEEP MY 2006 AN RUN IT INTO THE GROUND? I HAVE A 2006 330I SEDAN WITH 66K MILES ON IT. I FEEL IF I SELL IT PRIVATELY NOW I CAN GET A GOOD PRICE FOR IT. IF I WAIT ANY LONGER AND GO OVER 70K MILES IT WILL GO DOWN SHARPLY IN RESIDUAL VALUE. A NEW 2009 WOULD COST ABOUT $48K PLUS TAX. I FEEL I CAN DRIVE MY 2006 FOR 3 MORE YEARS (AN ADDITIONAL 50K MILES) WITHOUT ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS. WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE ON GOING UP TO 110K MILES? I AM THE SOLE OWNER, GARAGE KEPT MOSTLY HIGHWAY TRIP MILES AS I AM RETIRED. BACK SEATING NEVER USED. SOME FRONT PASSENGER USE. LOOKS LIKE NEW INSIDE AND OUT. IF I GET $15K FOR MY 2006 MY NET CASH OUTLAY WOULD BE ABOUT $33K. I AM WONDERING WITH THE ECONOMY AS IT IS WOULD I BE ABLE TO SELL MY CURRENT CAR FAIRLY QUICKLY.

ANY COMMENTS, OWNER-6
    1. All caps is yelling online (and it's hard to read)
    2. You already took the brunt of your depreciation (first 3 years are horrible for resale on a car). Why are you going to put yourself down another 30k?

Save the cash, keep driving it. 6-7 years is the sweet spot for getting the most ROI on a car (which is lousy for ROI). If you make it to 100k without major repairs, you're super far ahead of the game.
  • owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    1. Caps advise well taken.

2. Thanks for your opinion. I had purchased the extra 50K miles service warranty some time back. It was a dealer special for $600 dollars so I have 34K miles left for free service, brakes and rotors. I like to have a worry free, maintenance free car as I travel a lot. Since I have not had any problems so far (only brakes), I felt I may want to chance another 3 years and save $30K as you also expressed. I just dont want to look back a year from now, be faced with a major repair and feel I made a bad decision. I have no experience with longevity as I have always sold my previous BMW's at about 50K miles. Again thank you for your advise.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    run into a problem that costs you $1K or so, it is still cheaper than dropping $48K on a new 335i. Are you a BMWCCA member?

definitely keep the car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Keep the car, especially if you were planning to finance the 335i. The repair and maintenance costs won't come close to what your monthly payments will amount to.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Your car will be fine for another couple years. Even a full transmission rebuild (which won't happen if you're really doing just freeway) will run you at worst 4-5k. There's nothing on your car that could break that will cost you even 15k over the next 2-3 years. Think about it. What could go wrong that would be that expensive? Nothing.

Enjoy your car and use it up. In this economic climate there's no sense in wasting money you could have working for you in other ways.
  • jeremy_nycjeremy_nyc Member Posts: 11
    I just bought one also, 2006 330xi, premium and cold weather package, and I have addded the ipod connection, 36500 miles for 25K with the .9% financing, gray with black interior to replace my c280 4 matic.

They have to replace two tires in the back and I found out that they are replacing them with the run flat Bridgestone. I have requested them to put in the Continental run flat instead but they refuse.

After hearing all the problems with the run flat, I am a bit worried about the ride. Anybody knows if the "new" Bridgestones have been improved or I should just wait and changed them all to Continental after a few months?

thanks for your input.
    No runflat feels good on a 3 series, imho. I removed them and put real tires on my car. Did the same with my Cooper.
    Congratulations Jeremy.

I wish I got the ipod connection. I got the sat nav a part of upping the price from 25k to 26,300 along with all weather mats. I hate the nav. I imagnined it to be larger screen and interated into the dash, but turns out the BMW nav is a small screen monted on top of the dash. It has blue tooth, mp3, traffic feed ability, etc. but I dont need any of that. BMW site says, the nav costs 600+200 installed. The sales guy said it costs 900. Worthless if you ask me. (Curious to see what others think about this)

I asked for them to take back the nav and give me ipod and something else even for 600 worth!

I will keep the run flats until warranty is over I suppose. I bought warraty for tire and rim btw for 899.
  • jeremy_nycjeremy_nyc Member Posts: 11
    congrats to you too

Since the car does not have a CD changer like my Benz and the cost of installing one is way more expensive than the ipod connection, so I just figured that it would make more sense to to the ipod. I can just load as many songs in the ipod as it can take and leave it in the car. Mind you, the ipod control, as far as I know, is not perfect. it does not display the name of the songs and stuff like that, just allowing you to control it from the steering wheel.

BTW, I asked about the wheel and tire protection, it is 1500 here, how long is your wheel warranty?

I would get rid of the navigation, get yourself a nice portable one for much less money
    '09 328i monaco blue black interior
    navigation
    auto trans
    premium package
    xenon
    ipod
    wheel locks
    MSRP: $43130
    Got it for $40110 + free rubber mats (90)
    Also bought tire insurance for 700. it replaces the entire tire with any kind of damages (nails, scratches etc) for 5 years even at my fault. But after reading things about the run flat tires, mayb I shouldn't have bought it... :cry: but oh well.. replacing the tires in 5 years is probably around 700 or more?

People on the forum said I could go down more, but I didn't really have anymore time to negotiate more because I needed the car.

Got the car with .9% financing.
    You expect to get 5 years out of tires? Have you ever owned a RWD car before?

Each runflat costs over $200.
  • banker2banker2 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if money factors, residual values, or other incentives changed in January? Interested in lease on 2009 328i.
    My wheel and tire warrant cost me 899. Looks like you got a better deal. I suppose you could ahev gotten a better deal, especialy if you bought on 12/30 like I did or 12/31. No matter. Still a good deal.. MSRP dont meant [non-permissible content removed] anyways..The dealer will get you on the add-ons if not on the price..We need some regulation here if you ask me :) Aggravating buying a new car!
    You need regulation so people pay the same thing? Some of us like getting better deals than others. You can walk into Best Buy and pay MSRP or you can ask for a 15% discount. I got a cable modem the other day for 40% off by insisting the same thing is available at walmart. It's not the same. Regardless, they didn't check - the manager just approved it.

The game is part of the fun. :D
    Good call on the ipod. Who needs cd changers these days..The wheel and tire for 899 is for 5 years. 1500 seems steep. Im in MA. But it is still worth it. My prelude had performance tires and they started to go in like year 4 or 5 or something like that. Replaced tires many times. I used to drive like a nut and roads here are a MESS, so you never know..

Im not optimistic about them replacing the nav with other goodies unfortunately :( oh well..
    haha.. I see your point..Free market it is.
  • boterobotero Member Posts: 4
    Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what is the Money Factro and Residual Value for a BMW 328i 2009?

Thanks for your help,
    The way I see it,the more buyers my dealer clubs like a baby seal, the better chance I have of getting a good deal...

Why not post your question in the "BMW 3-Series Lease Questions" topic?

As as lark I emailed a dealer and made a lowball offer on an M3. The dealer called tonight, understood what i was looking for and said he'd call tomorrow once he got clearance for the deal.

Wife thinks I'm nuts. I may be.