Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Swing the ED program if possible. Order your 545i for May delivery, use the 2 for 1 Lufthansa tickets (kick around Munich for 2 days) and lock in todays 5 series heavily subsidized lease rates of a .0013 MF (the .0003 is added due to ED) and 61% residual for 12/36.

The payment will amaze you. But the kicker is the trip..... is it worth $4K savings over the life of the lease and the wait after you complete the delivery in Munich? that's for you to decide. Run a domestically calculated 325i lease and you'll have your answer - I did.

-later
  • rjg2rjg2 Posts: 4
    Thank you to everyone. I've been reading this board for a few weeks and feel much more prepared to deal.

Everyone seems in agreement that the current money factor is .00125. Is this number direct from BMWFS? Is is the same in all states? I am in Los Angeles, and I'm being quoted marked-up rates in the neighborhood of .00155 and even .0018. (My credit is excellent and I am a returning lease customer.)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to negotiate the rate down as far as .00125?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,923
    .00125 is the base money factor set by BMWFS.. It is the same everywhere.. BMWFS allows dealers to mark up the rate by .0004 for extra profit.. You can also waive the security deposit in exchange for another bump of .00015...

Some dealers won't write lease deals at the base rate.. I wouldn't do business with those dealers.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• big_jimbig_jim Posts: 27
    Is there anywhere to view the invoice pricing yet? Everywhere I look (except bmwusa.com) has 2005 numbers. And bmwusa.com only has MSRP.

Thanks!

Scott
    The pdf. file is posted in another forum... Not allowed to link it here.. Against Town Hall rules...

• big_jimbig_jim Posts: 27
    Found it. Thanks a ton. Now if I could just get my dealer to return my calls and emails. Mind you, I am not incessantly calling and emailing - he initiated email contact and was very good at keeping in touch. Until the past few weeks, when I have been ready to pull the trigger. I think it's time to expand my dealer search. I have a half dozen or more within 200 miles...
  • newxynewxy Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 530 (no sports package) at 47000 miles from a private party. I paid 27.5K including taxes. It has been a week and it drives great.

1- Is this a good deal?

2- It still has 3K miles left on warranty. What would be the best way to utilize the warranty? I was thinking to take it to a BMW dealer and have an oil change -- and hopefully they will tell me if there is a big problem. Any better ideas?

Thanks a lot..
    That's great. Thanks.

Is the Acquisition Fee a required item or is it a hidden profit source for the dealer? How much should I expect it to be? Are there any other legitimate fees I should expect?

My expectation is that the only costs should be: 1) the negotiated cost of the car; 2) initial license/registration fees; 3) security deposit (I think this should be waived since I am a returning lessee); and 4) any acquisition fee.

At signing I should pay: 1) down payment (if any) plus tax; 2) license/registration fees; 3) first months payment plus tax; and 4) security deposit if any.

Am I correct?
    1) Acquisition fee goes to the bank (BMWFS). Except for NY, it is $625.. dealers may mark it up to $825.

2) Not sure about the waived security deposit, but its possible.. If not, they will waive it for an increase in the money factor, but that is a bad deal.

3) All else is correct.

I just got a response from a dealer who has included something called a MACO Fee of $415 and a Training Service Fee of $180?

Any ideas?
    Those are fees the dealer pays... they are part of the invoice price..

The only reason they should come up, is if you offer "$XXX over invoice".

The dealer's invoice + training fee = Edmunds or KBB invoice (or even the BMW pdf. invoice). IOW, if you look up an invoice price on-line, it already includes the training fee.

MACO is a regional advertising charge.. Again, part of the dealer's wholesale cost.. but, in addition to the invoice you see on-line.

If you negotiate a straight selling price, neither of these should be added to your deal.. If you are negotiating "invoice plus" or "cost plus", you'll be paying a fee for the janitor to clean the dealer's restrooms....

Thanks. I did in fact make an "cost plus" offer, and he added these fees to my invoice starting point.

I'll be on the lookout for the janitorial fee and report back. Any further advice?
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    My 02 530 (sport, 5 spd, 45K) was $33,000 out the door (excluding extended warranty). I feel I got a good deal, but I bought from a dealer and mine was CPO. You pay less for a private party car, but I wanted the security of the dealer's backing plus an extended warranty.

Regarding the last 3,000 miles of your warranty, do as I am doing: pay attention to everything, and if you have any concerns, get them written up by the dealer before you hit 50K miles. Even if they can't find anything wrong now, if they have a record of a complaint made under warranty, it's covered if it turns into something down the line.

I hope you have a good independent mechanic lined up for after 50K. And I hope you got the car inspected before you bought it.
  • newxynewxy Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I am aware that I took some risks, and I hope they won't cost me too much :-).

I didn't get the car inspected. Given its low price, I bought it right away (it looks clean). I will now take it to a BMW service, I hope they don't charge me too much.

How much does it cost to get an extended warranty, and is it really worth to get it? I found an independent extended warranty (not BMW CPO) but I wasn't sure how reliable they are (they ask for same price for all types of cars, which I thought was weird) so I took another risk and didn't get that warranty.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Posts: 265
    You have to be very careful about third party warranties; some of the companies selling them are not solvent. That said, I have a third party warranty (7 years, 125K miles, $2995). My dealer sold it to me, and for several reasons I trust it. But I dunno how you would go about independently finding a reliable one. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable than I can help you with that.

I think they're worth it. If my transmission were to blow, that's the cost of the warranty (and then some?) right there. And in my case, I don't expect to be quite as solvent in several months as I am now, so it seemed the obvious choice to spend the money while I have access to it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    Please visit our discussion about Extended Warranties for a bunch of useful information on manufacturer and third-party products.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• petppetp Posts: 43
    well i finally decided to get the car (it was at the port) but when i called my dealer to tell him to get it, he said it had already gone to the original dealer that ordered it! i could get it if i wanted but that would involve shipping it back and paying a shipping cost. does this make sense, or is the dealer fed up with me :-)
    is there any place online to check dealer inventory?
    thanks
  • bmwgal1bmwgal1 Posts: 1
    i am now driving a x5 2003 and have also had a 525i and i lease. i am into my 20 month with only 17000 miles i live in so. cal i can not decided to go with the 530 or 545 or the x5 4.4 i got a lease price last night of 950 a month for a 530 i think that is to high i do not trust dealers they wanted me to put 3600 down including the first month. I just walked away could anyone direct me to a good dealer in southern cal i have been to assal and mckenna i do not want to get ripped off. and also with what i read is it better to wait till the next month for better leasing deals. i have had bad experiences with carsales people.
  • turnbowmturnbowm Posts: 76
    petp,

The same thing happened to me. Hesitated on a 2005 530i that had everything I wanted and by the time I made up my mind, the car was gone! Once a
    buyer makes a deposit on a particular car, that car is no longer available.

In your particular case, the dealer is merely telling it like it is. Someone has to pay the additional shipping costs and it's NOT going to be the dealer.

Am not aware of any way that you can obtain dealer inventory info over the Internet. Any dealer, however, can do a search based on your requirements (color, options, etc.) and provide you with a list of available cars. If it's a 2005 that you talking about, you'd better move quick because your choices are becoming very limited.

Good luck, Martin
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Some Center show their New inventory online ,and some do not. Its a shame that vw,toyo, ect can take the time to take some nice digital pics of their hundereds of vehicles in stock.If you know the Center give it a try.

DL
  • dmw5678dmw5678 Posts: 2
    525i
    No money down
    $540.00
    Premium Package
    Xeon
    Cold Weather
    24 Month
    define 'no money down'...do u mean no cap cost reduction? what about drive off fees (1st mo pmt, security..etc)...are the taxes included in the 540, or is it 540+tax.
    thks martin. im gonna take it as a sign that THAT car wasnt meant to be. now my first color choice was a no-go (titanium gray...and after seeing it on the dealer lot today i wasnt TOO thrilled about it...maybe though its just sour grapes hehe), but im sure i'll have better luck on my second choice...now cant decide between orient blue or saphire black GRRRRR!!!
  • dmw5678dmw5678 Posts: 2
    yes no cap cost reduction..

540 includes taxes

1,600 in fees(due at signing) for motor vehicles, bank fee , document fess etc
    that seems like an awesome price...especially since its for 24 mos.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    I just bought a 2002 530 (no sports package) at 47000 miles from a private party. I paid 27.5K including taxes. It has been a week and it drives great.
    1- Is this a good deal?
    2- It still has 3K miles left on warranty. What would be the best way to utilize the warranty? I was thinking to take it to a BMW dealer and have an oil change -- and hopefully they will tell me if there is a big problem. Any better ideas?
    Thanks a lot..
    ===============================

Depending on the condition and what part of the country your in .. the Bimmer dealer probably dropped the $23ish range at the guy and he decided to go down Retail Rd .... $27,5.? .. you did fine, you need to be lookin' at an extended warranty though .. these ain't cheap in the Repair department ......

Terry.
  • sergeymsergeym Posts: 262
    Got $1,500 over invoice, 0.001 MF. Sport, Navi, Prem Sound and CW. $1,000 over invoice shoul be doable. I am not the best negotiator. Cannot make myself haggle over $15/month.
  • I'm looking to lease a 5xx AWD but haven't decided which one. Can anyone point me to a dealer in the NY Tri-state area where they had an exceptional experience/deal?
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Posts: 172
    Hi,
    I've been reading all of the good advice posted here, thanks for the fantastic info - I'm much more informed than I was on my last lease (Nissan).

I'm considering leasing a new 530, but I was just wondering - in general, will I get a better deal going through a 3rd-party leasing company, or should I tough it out at the dealership and lease through BMWFS?
    Almost without fail, BMWFS has better lease deals... even with the dealer marking up the money factors..

The 3rd-party banks usually can't match the high residuals...

Also, BMW dealers have access to the 3rd party banks... If the deals were better, they would use them..

regards,
    kyfdx