Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dmw5678dmw5678 Member Posts: 2
    525i
    No money down
    $540.00
    Premium Package
    Xeon
    Cold Weather
    24 Month
  • petppetp Member Posts: 43
    define 'no money down'...do u mean no cap cost reduction? what about drive off fees (1st mo pmt, security..etc)...are the taxes included in the 540, or is it 540+tax.
    thks martin. im gonna take it as a sign that THAT car wasnt meant to be. now my first color choice was a no-go (titanium gray...and after seeing it on the dealer lot today i wasnt TOO thrilled about it...maybe though its just sour grapes hehe), but im sure i'll have better luck on my second choice...now cant decide between orient blue or saphire black GRRRRR!!!
  • dmw5678dmw5678 Member Posts: 2
    yes no cap cost reduction..

540 includes taxes

1,600 in fees(due at signing) for motor vehicles, bank fee , document fess etc
    that seems like an awesome price...especially since its for 24 mos.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    I just bought a 2002 530 (no sports package) at 47000 miles from a private party. I paid 27.5K including taxes. It has been a week and it drives great.
    1- Is this a good deal?
    2- It still has 3K miles left on warranty. What would be the best way to utilize the warranty? I was thinking to take it to a BMW dealer and have an oil change -- and hopefully they will tell me if there is a big problem. Any better ideas?
    Thanks a lot..
    ===============================

Depending on the condition and what part of the country your in .. the Bimmer dealer probably dropped the $23ish range at the guy and he decided to go down Retail Rd .... $27,5.? .. you did fine, you need to be lookin' at an extended warranty though .. these ain't cheap in the Repair department ......

Terry.
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Got $1,500 over invoice, 0.001 MF. Sport, Navi, Prem Sound and CW. $1,000 over invoice shoul be doable. I am not the best negotiator. Cannot make myself haggle over $15/month.
  • kevlartesterkevlartester Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to lease a 5xx AWD but haven't decided which one. Can anyone point me to a dealer in the NY Tri-state area where they had an exceptional experience/deal?
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    Hi,
    I've been reading all of the good advice posted here, thanks for the fantastic info - I'm much more informed than I was on my last lease (Nissan).

I'm considering leasing a new 530, but I was just wondering - in general, will I get a better deal going through a 3rd-party leasing company, or should I tough it out at the dealership and lease through BMWFS?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,187
    Almost without fail, BMWFS has better lease deals... even with the dealer marking up the money factors..

The 3rd-party banks usually can't match the high residuals...

Also, BMW dealers have access to the 3rd party banks... If the deals were better, they would use them..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kujo2002kujo2002 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know what is included in a premium package versus a sport package for a 2000 528I?
    are april lease rates out yet? can someone post them please? thanks!
  • virtualbmwvirtualbmw Member Posts: 86
    get some online quotes from some of the big orange county dealers
  • newbmwdrivernewbmwdriver Member Posts: 1
    I've been quoted a 545 lease as follows:

MSRP: 58295 (premium sound as an opt)
    Selling Price: 55295
    3years/15K
    Cap cost reduction: 4500
    Monthly Payment: 575+tax

Is this a good deal?
    How does it compare to what others have out there?

Thank you!
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    I just ordered a new 06 530i from a dealer 30 miles away (had bad experiences with dealer that was closer on my last BMW purchase).

Went in - told them I wanted a new 530i, Premium sound Pkg, Premium Pkg, Satellite Radio, Auto transmission - Titanium Gray/Gray Leather. Said I would pay 1000 over invoice - asked me if I could take delivery in 10 days - told them yes - they reserved a car coming in next week for me at the 1000 over invoice. Trade involved an 05 BMW525 with same equipment - they gave me41K for it - excellent book, can't wait.

Best buying experience I ever had with absolutely no hassle.

Will let you know what it's like in a week or two
  • richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    Hihomike,
    Wait a minute....you mean you actually bought the car?!?!

I thought all anybody did in here was lease. ;)

Good luck with the new Bimmer. Just make sure it's the '06...wouldn't be the first time a car salesman tried to pull a fast one.
  • big_jimbig_jim Member Posts: 27
    make that two of us...I am buying mine too!
    who's the dealer?
    Not good. First you are getting only $3,000 of MSRP. Good deal should be at least $3,500 off MSRP. Second even with $55,295 selling price, the monthly payment with $4,500 cap cost reduction (why!) should be around $540/month. Looks like the money factor your dealer is using is higher that 0.001 currently offered by BMWFS.
    Expecting to get $3500 off a 545 is probably not reasonable in most markets. Furthermore, the Center is not obliged to write the deal at buy rate on the money factor. Even if it is marked a point or two it's still very, very low interest.

500 something a month on a BMW that costs over 50 grand with just 4500 out of pocket is an awesome deal. In fact, that sounds like a 525 or 530 payment to me and I structure BMW leases every day.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    A fair sales price is reasonable. Extra 2% interest no thanks. No reason to get Consumers 6 ways to Sunday.

DL
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Was looking at the pricing of the 5 series and noticed that there were no incentives/rebates of any sort for 05's. Did they sell that well? Or are they just too new eventhough it's an 05?
    Yes, it's an 06 - have the buyers order and the VIN number in hand. Only reason I moved up was the horsepower (255) and the premium sound system. Was still wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to drive the new 06 530i, as I am very interested in finding out other opinions on the performance.

I understand the 06's are at the port and are beginning to arrive at BMW dealers.

According the dealership, it is supposed to arrive next week.
    I live in southeast Florida - went to Ft. Lauderdale Imports-BMW-in Prembroke Pines Florida. An out of the way dealership who actually makes great deals
    YES, I ACTUALLY BOUGHT IT! I like to have the flexibility to move in and out of my car whenever I want, but when you lease, you can't do that with the same flexibility.

I bought the 05 525i, as well, but if I had leased it, I would have been stuck in it for at least 30 months, if not more.
    "get consumers"? I don't know what industry you're in but I'm sure they don't "give" things away.

It's not 2% anyway. They are base points on a money factor and right now the 545 buy rate equates to about 2.4% interest. The very minimal profit by marking the buy rate up two base points on a 545 gives the dealer a profit of about $600 and still gives the client a converted interest of about 2.8%. That's a great rate on an incredible car.

People complain about how the dealers are stupid and all this other crap. Well, if they don't make the profits to provide for a competent staff then that's what you get.
    You are such a car salesman.
  • waterpaintwaterpaint Member Posts: 3
    i am looking to buy a 05 530i. the dealer offered invoice+1000 deal. with the 06 model coming and possible incentive from bmw, do you think i can do better on a car in their inventory? what's the real dealer's cost on a car like this? thanks in advance.
  • damienwgdamienwg Member Posts: 39
    All I want is an:
    '06 530i, '05 530i or '06 525i (in that order)
    Black or Titanium Grey
    Automatic transmission

All I want to pay for it is:
    $400-500 monthly lease with no less than 12K miles per year
    $3-4.5K on total drive off

I've got email and a fax so I'm willing to go to any one of the 55 BMW dealers in California and Oregon to pick up the car.

Is this a realistic goal - or more appropriately, what numbers would a dealer need to punch to come out with a $400-500 monthly lease payment?
    I've read a few great posts in this forum that have convinced me that unless it will lead to a reduced MF, I won't leave a down payment. But I am concerned about that tax that comes with the vehicle every month. Is it just completely unavoidable or is it possible to pay off that tax when closing the deal, instead of leaving a down payment?

For example, say the monthly lease price for a 36 month agreement is $500 & tax is 8%. 8% of $500 is $41.25/mo. Is it possible just to leave $1485 down ($41.25 x 36 mo) specifically for the purpose of paying off the tax upfront, so the check I'm writing per month is just $500 (and not $541.25)

Also, I just became a small business owner. How will that affect both my leasing price and negotiating position, if at all?

Finally, when leasing a brand-new BMW from a BMW dealership do you have to go through their financing department or can you lease through a third-party?

Thank you so much you guys in advance. This forum is a remarkable asset.
    You are going to have to pay the sales tax "monthly". You can't pay the sales tax up front on a lease.

The reason is - the state where you lease the car (where the car is registered), charges sales tax based upon the monthly rental rate (lease rate). That's why many people lease rather than buy - you only pay the sales tax on the part of the vehicle you are leasing. When you buy, you are required to pay the tax up front.

Additionally, suppose you get out of your lease early, say 8 months early, then you have already paid sales taxes on payments you won't be making. How would you get the sales taxes you paid in advance back from the state or municipality?

Good Luck!!!
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    hihomike is wrong -- you can pay the tax up front. They calculate $425 * 36 * 8.25% but why? Car gets totaled and you lose that money forever; pay it monthly and you lose what you have paid.

BMW financing gives the better lease rates than 3p, generally, and better residuals.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Especially if your in a state like TX that charges on the whole amount not the monthly.I think there are a few more.Ok, Walt how long is this vacation going to last ? :confuse:

DL
    HI Sergey, what's your monthly payment? is that a 530 or 525? Thanks for your info.
    has anyone done a deal on a 06 525i with invoice+1000?
    My 545 is 545 it is neither 530 nor 525. The monthly payment is $767 including 6% NJ tax.
  • pagelmundapagelmunda Member Posts: 16
    My lease for a 2002 530 is up in June. Thus, I am about to commence shopping for a lease for a new 2006 525 or 530 (Not surprisingly, I want to minimize my monthly lease payments and thus planned to get as few options as possible. Auto trans is a must). Would like to know your views of what constitutes a good deal for those cars. Live in NY. Thanks in advance.
    $615-$630 before taxes for 3 year lease, 12K miles, 0 cap cost reduction should be doable for 2006 530 auto, no other options. For $610 pre-tax you can easily get a brand new 2005 545 with auto tranny and premium (standard on 545) package. Contrary to what other people say on this board I do not believe that additional 30 horses and 6 (!) lb/ft of torque will make 2006 530 much faster that 2005. 545 on the other hand is decently fast and will stay fast compared to most cars on the road even after the 550 is introduced later this year.
  • pagelmundapagelmunda Member Posts: 16
    Thanks.
  • norcalbuyernorcalbuyer Member Posts: 5
    What do you guys think about a "new" 545 that has 250 miles on the clock? I don't care much about virgin women, but I like my machines to be as virgin as possible, especially when I'm about to lay out over 60k. Is 250 miles reasonable? It kinda bothers me. I think the car should be discounted... Whats the common wisdom on this subject?
    The car was likely the demo and in that case you can bet it was BEATEN up.

I wouldn't imagine that too many people who were considering ponying up the extra bucks for the 8 cylinder were subdued in their test driving. It's a performance car, and I'm betting they made it perform. Hard.

That's not to say that it might not be a magnificent machine in great working condition...just that it's way more than likely that the car has seen some break-neck acceleration, sharp turns, hard cornering, etc. etc. etc.

It's a 60k+ car, IMO you are better off throwing down a few extra hundos, even a G+ to get it brand spanking new, with no wear and tear, and no possible future regrets.
    250 miles is nothing........nothing. It doesn't make a hill of beans difference. But, it's only your perception that matters. Tell the dealer to get one for you with no miles.
    The first 250 miles that your average person might put on the car after they purchase it is nothing.....

The first 250 miles put on a demo car (if, in fact, that is the case with this particular car) are not akin to those 'average person' miles. Any honest car salesman will tell you that the people testing high performance cars are not going easy on the car.

Albeit, there probably has not been much damage inflicted upon the 250-mile-old 545i. Probably. However, given BMW's lackluster reliability, I would say I would have to pass on a 545i that has been beaten up for even 100 miles.
    These cars are designed to withstand tolerances well beyond what one would inflict in a spirited test drive. "Lackluster reliability" is just about a foolish reference in regards to a 5 series. Maybe, if you compare it to a corolla it's lackluster, but certainly not in it's segment.

I've been on thousands of test drives and for someone to be driving the car so hard that it might damage a BMW has never happened. You can't hardly drive the car to that point within legal limits and most drivers don't have the nerve or skill to drive the car in such a manner.

Having said that I can also admit that it is not unusual for some more particular clients to insist on very little miles on a car but it's more common on an M car that has more stringent break-in procedures. It's a simple as this.......if you don't want the car than don't buy it but I'm just saying in my professional opinion, it's no big deal.
  • norcalbuyernorcalbuyer Member Posts: 5
    ok ok... maybe beat, maybe not... I've always been very careful during the break-in period, and 250 is a significant portion of the the break-in. I think I'll pass, I don't want to wonder. Here's a question: How many miles is reasonable? I realize there has to be some miles on the car from the transport activities, but what should a BMW have? 10, 20, 30, what?
    A fresh car will have less than 20 miles on it. Usually when we unload them there is about 5 or less miles on them but under the Pre-delivery Inspection guidelines it's to be driven by the technician and will normally have around 15 miles or so when it's turned over to sales.

Depending on the configuration that you prefer it might be tough to get that car. There aren't really all that many of them in CA. THe most desireable configurations can be pretty scarce. :D
    My apologies.

Here's my question: What is the formula you guys use to calculate monthly lease payments? And how can dealers alter that formula (add cost here, take them away there) to make more money or to cut me a deal?
    other than the obvious selling price, the dealer can mark-up the money factor or the acquisition fee. Some dealers will not sell the car at all if there is not some profit in the lease rate. It can depend on the model, but it is negotiable. Also, some dealers don't mark up the acquisition fee and some do every time.

The residual is really the only other variable and that amount is fixed by the lender. ;)
    Thanks. You dont by chance know the actual equation?

I'm looking for something like:
    [ (Selling Price + (Selling Price * (MF * 24) ) + Acquition) - (Selling Price * Residual) ]
    /
    # of months

I've tried several different equations and I keep coming out with numbers too low based on examples already given throughout this thread and too high using this calculator: http://www.floridadrivers.com/vehicle_financing/lease_payment_calculator.php

Or if someone has a website that explains this (Car Leasing for Dummies or something) that would be just as good.
    what's the msrp, selling price, mileage per year, down payment (if any) other than standard drive-off amounts and local tax rate.