Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOYOTA TACOMA vs. FOR RANGER

azninvazionazninvazion Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Toyota
What does everyone thing about this choice? Pros
cons? Owners of either what do you think about
them in the field of reliability. Thanks

Comments

• wsnoblewsnoble Member Posts: 241
    Hey

Bought my 98 Tacoma Xcab V6/SR5 in June 98. I shopped the Ranger and the Dakota for about six months before I bought the Toyota. The Dakota was more $$ and I have issues with Dodge reliability. Friend of mine has a 97 Dakota Xcab V6 SLT. He has had it in the dealership more than once. I loved the Ranger Xcab V6 XLT. I like the off road package but hated the gray vertical grill, and the underpowered V6. I dececide on the Tacoma, because of long term reliability and resale. It looks the nicest. It has the most horsepower of all 3's V6's. It has the highest ground clearence with the 265/75/R15's on it (A Must!). There was a $1200.00 rebate, and most of all the dealer let me order it the way i wanted and still gave me invoice+$500.00. Let history speak for itself. How many late 80's Dakota's and Rangers do you see driving around. I see plenty of Toyota HiLux'es and Tacomas. I bought the Tacoma, and I love it. Guy i work with loved mine so much, he bought the exact same truck 4 months latter. Hope this helps...

-wsn
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I purchased myself last year a 1998 Ranger XLT stepside kingcab 4x4 5spd 4.0 (offroad pkg, tow pkg). After shopping GM, Toyota, Nissan, Dodge I found this to be the best value. I purchased mine loaded for about 2K less than a Tacoma. I found Toyota to be overpriced/overrated. With the money saved I was able to put on nurf bars, spray in bedliner, topper, rock guard and buy better tires. This truck looks fantastic. I get many complements on the stepside box. A friend of mine purchased a Tacoma about a month earlier than I purchased my Ranger. We went head to head in the mountains of Oregon. My Ranger could do anything his Tacoma could do. We agreed it was a tie, except for price. I am an outdoors person. I use my 4x4 in the mountains and in the eastern deserts of Oregon. My Ranger has performed flawlessly. As far as reliablity, This is my second one. My first went to 97K with minor problems. Have a friend who has a 94 Ranger with 103K. Shop and compare. The Tacoma is very expensive and overrated.
  • hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I have a 99 extended cab Tacoma 4 x4 loaded and can say it has been great so far. I saw the Ford Ranger, but since I had trouble with my 92 Ford Mark III custom van I decided to buy Toyota. I think that most cars or trucks these days can go 100k if properly maintained, but can they reach 200K. I had a 89 Camry I sold at 165,000 with no mechanical or electrical problems and although it is not a truck it does say a lot for the company . . . Toyota.
    vince 8

Dont misunderstand me i think the ranger is a great truck, but when it comes time to sell it you will not get the same $$ as you would with a Tacoma. With the Tacoma you'll get the money back and you still get to enjoy Toyota's proven long term dependabilty. Not to mention the 190 hp V6

-wsn
  • LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    Does the 190 hp really make that much difference? Isn't torque really more important in a truck? The Ranger 4.0 has 225 ft-lbs of torque compared to the Tacoma's 220 ft-lbs. I know that's not a big difference, I'm just wondering if Tacoma's 190 hp really makes it the far superior drive train. On the autos, does the Ranger's 5 spd auto make up for less hp? Again, just wondering from people who know more than me about this stuff.
    Don't forget, you paid more for your Tacoma than I did for my Ranger. You either get it coming or going. This is my second Ranger, first one went to 94K with no problems, that is why I bought a second one. Reliablity with me is a mute point. You better check the 0-60 times of the 190HP V6 Tacoma before you start talking performance against the Ford Ranger. Like I said in a previous mail. I already went up against a Tacoma 4x4 190HP in my Ranger 4.0 and I could do anything he could do, go anywhere he could go, haul anything he could, tow, climb which ever. Tacoma is very overpriced and overrated.
  • KatmanduKatmandu Member Posts: 24
    One thing's for sure, the Ranger is better in the crash tests than the Tacoma. The sheetmetal in the tacoma is too thin to really protect it's occupants. All those goofy waves and dimples on the Tacoma require thinner sheet metal. Also, did you ever try to buy replacement parts for a Toyota??? My god a fender is $400-$500. A ranger fender is $200-$250. No one likes to think about denting a new truck but hey, it happens. I used to be a loyal Toyota man, loved the trucks. Now they're WAYYYYY overpriced. For the $25K for a loaded xcab Tacoma 4x4 I could get a REAL truck..full size and pull that Tacoma wherever I wanted to. Plus the build quality of the Tacoma is not what it used to be.
    vince8

I did pay more for my Tacoma, but I will get it back when i trade it in. That extra money got me standard skid plates, longer bed, and not to mention the extra 24k/3 years on my powertrain warranty. I'm not trying to bring down the Ranger (I had a 94 and loved it) but in my opinion the Tacoma is going to be the most financially rewarding whether you trade it in (Resale Value) or keep it foreever (Reliability)
    Reliablity with me is a mute point. My last Ranger lasted me 94K and ran fine at trade in time. I will give you resale value. But you paid anywhere from 2-3K MORE than I did upfront. The Tacoma is overpriced, I read this in many postings and magazines. When comparing feature for feature the Tacoma can run you as high as 25K! You can get a full size for that price. Read Edmunds postings also as far as performance numbers in comparing the Ranger to the Tacoma, you may be surprised.
  • workingmanworkingman Member Posts: 14
    My Ford Ranger has been a lemon. Here's the details: 1990 2wd XLT longbed. 4 cyl auto. Used almost always as a commuter vehicle. Bought from the original owner with 49K. Tranny went at 53K. Rear end(!)went at 57K Tranny went again before 60K (rebuilt free). Fuel pump went about 70K leaving me stranded and requiring a tow. Engine went at 88K leaving me stranded and requiring a tow. Paint begin flaking off the roof, hood, etc at 65K. Tranny went AGAIN at 108K. Oil has been changed faithfully at 3-4K (4K max). In addition battery, brakes, tires, exhaust, ABS ($$$) module all went. It is (I still own it) by far the single most expensive vehicle I have ever tried to keep running reliably. As a contrast - I bought a 1984 Mazda SE5 pickup new for about $6K and drove it 159K without even changing the clutch. Ford Ranger again? No thanks! I'll get a Nissan or Toyota.
    Where did you get your prices from??
    Bigger V6? The 4.0 ranger has 5ft/lbs more of torque than the Tacoma. Like I said reliability is a mute point with me. My first Ranger went to 94K with only new brakes, clutch and water pump.
    800 dollar difference?

I see in my paper you can get a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT super cab, 4.0 V6, air, 4x4, pwr steering, brakes, CD, Tilt, cruise, 4whl abs, alloy wheels, for 16,088 5 at this price. The "4cyl" Toyota comparably equiped is 16,777 3 at this price?

Tacoma is expensive and overrated. I test drove one when I was in the market last year. Yes, it was a very nice truck. But I wasn't going to pay 2 - 3K more just to have a Toyota.
    I bought a Ranger XLT 4x4 5spd loaded, tow package and offroad package for 2,300 less than a comparably equiped Tacoma. I use my truck in the Mountains and deserts of Oregon. It has never let me down and is extremely reliable. I have a friend at work who bought a Tacoma V6 about 2 months before I bought mine. We went and did a little offroading. I could do anything he could, go anywhere he could and haul anything he could for 2,300 less. With the savings I fixed my truck up even more!
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    Every post you say the Tacoma is overpriced and overrated. You have stated your opinion on the prices and folks can decide that for themselves (as you did), but I want to know exactly what you mean by overrated?

Thanks,

Terry
    With the money saved I was able to buy a better powertrain/extended warranty than Toyota offers. Better craftmanship, nope, Ranger rated very well and even better than Tacoma in ride comfort and seat comfort. Plastics used are very high quality, better check again pal. The 3.0 and 2.7 are only .3 liters apart. The 3.0 has the same HP and torque as the 2.7. The 190HP V6 is also optional in the Tacoma and you will pay for it also. For the same price you can get a full size truck or even a Dodge Dakota V8! I have already went up against a Tacoma in a head to head offroad battle. A co-worker bought a Tacoma a few months before I bought my Ranger. He just went to the Toyota dealer, didn't even shop other makes/models. We went into the Mountains of Oregon and had an offroad shootout. I could do anything he could, pull, climb, haul.. You overrate your Toyota bud.
    Vince8

The prices I quoted were based on the Toyota Xcab V6. It's a model, not an option. To different part #'s.

In my previous post I was comparing V6's, not Toyota's 4 vs Ford's 6.

You also state "You could do whatever your buddies Tacoma could do" I beleive that you can do anything he can, well except lock your rear diff. because only Toyota offers that. Good for 4x4ing i might add.

Anyhow my real concern is reliability and craftmanship. Yes your seats may be more comfortable, but for how long. How the product lasts = craftmanship and reliability. I am the type of person who looks at the long term effects of my choices. Not everybody is like that, and that's fine. Maybe this section should be titled

"Long term vs. Short term"

Again I wish you well with your Ranger....

-wsn
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Sorry Vince, but you're off base on a few things.

1. You cannot buy a Ford Ranger 4x4 outfitted like that for that price. It was obviously a "teaser" rate, which is typical for newspaper ads. The photos in the ads usually show a decked out model, when what you get is a ugly dog with steel wheels and skinny tires and other "common" items missing. Toyotas do, of course, cost more, though. I suspect that without the tariffs on them, they'd cost less.

2. Why would reliablity be a "moot" (not mute) point with anyone? All studies of reliablity rank Toyotas on or near the top of the non-luxury brands, year after year. Fords have ranked from fair to poor.

3. From everything I read about the vehicles, the Toyota engine is superior in performance to the Ford 4.0 in the Ranger. Testers always rave about it's smoothness and power, and always seem to be disappointed in the 4.0 a bit.

While the Ranger is probably technically superior in many areas, after you factor in resale, and maintenance, the Ranger will probably be the more EXPENSIVE truck to own. The powertrain warranty 50,000 miles(?) , is worth quite a bit by itself. Many posts here will testify, a lot of vehicles "break" just after the 36,000 mile warranty runs out.

A vehicle may cost $2,000 more at purchase, but if it resales for $3,000 more than the other vehicle, it's actually CHEAPER to own.

That said, I own a Dodge Ram and a '98 F-150. I think the compact trucks are bad deals if you need the larger engines, auto trannys, and extra doo-dads on them. My reg cab Ram is almost as spacious as a club cab ranger, just w/o rear seats. If you don't want the bulk, I'd go with the Dakota mid-size. (but talk about reliability problems!!!!) And finally......compact pickups have higher than average death rates in crashes....full size trucks below average.
    BTW-Toyota's are made in California, not Japan (at least final assembly anyway) so there is no terriff on them. They cost more because people are willing to pay more, especially die hard Toyota lovers like my brother. If people stopped buying Toyota's and Toyota lovers started buying Ford's and Dodge's and Nissan's, I think the price would come down.
    If you read offroad mags and your normal mags on Trucks they always are talking about the price you are going to pay for the Tacoma. A year ago I was in the market for a new compact truck. I have no real need for a full size truck. I shopped and drove all of them. Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda/Ford, Dodge. I never have said the Tacoma was a bad truck. Its not, its a nice truck. But, in my comparisons you will pay for the Tacoma. I use my Ranger in the mountains and deserts of Oregon. It has NEVER let me down. This is my second. My first went to 64K with only minor problems. With the $2,500 difference I was able to buy and extedended warranty along with do some improvements/add ons to my Ranger. People are willing to pay for a so called "better truck"? I don't think so. They are buying what I feel is an equal truck for more money. I have already proved this to a co-worker who bought a Tacoma and gave me a very hard time for buying a Ford. We went head to head in the mountains of Oregon. As I posted before, I could do anything he could.
    Thanks Bruce35

Reliability and Resale are everything.......

Not to mention a long hard look at the recall lists as well.....(Reliability)

My 98 Tacoma has one recall. A "typo" in the owners manual, and Toyota sent out a new Manual to me in the mail.....

The 98 Ranger already has 5 (NHTSA web site)

-wsn
    Is that a fair comparison? What were the recalls for? Big stuff like drivetrain or suspension, or little stuff. 1998 was the first model year for the newly redesigned Ranger, so of course there's going to be a couple bugs at first. I'm sure they've been fixed for 99. How many recalls did Tacoma have on it's first model year?
    wsnoble, I went and checked the NHSTA site and 2 out of the 5 are for the 97 Ranger. The 3 are for extremely simple items not even associated with the actual reliability, quality, drivablity, suspension, mechanicals of the Ranger. Please people go check for yourself. The Ranger is rated very well in Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Road and Track, MotorTrend, shall I go on. I am tired of the assumption that the Tacoma is "just better because its a Toyota crap". Do your homework, the edge Toyota had once is gone. Why does Ford Ranger still outsell Tacoma almost 2 to 1? Can all these people be wrong? The Value, comfort, performance and reliablity of the Ranger is there.
  • lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    Regarding "Why does Ford Ranger still outsell Tacoma almost 2 to 1?"

Does anyone have the official numbers for 1998? The last ones I saw were still late '98 estimates, and they were 379,170 for the Ranger (including Mazdas built in the same factories) and 151,475 for the Tacoma.
    Whether Ranger outsells Tacoma 2 to 1 (or whatever) has no bearing on the value of either vehicle, IMHO. Why????

Ford is perceived "Made in the USA" and there are still many people who will not buy "foreign" whether or not they perceive Tacoma as being better (even in Tacomas are made in California).

Rangers are cheaper overall and often less expensive when "equally" configured. Some people have fixed budgets they can not exceed no matter the value they believe the extra $$$ will bring.

Many companies buy Rangers as fleet vehicles. (Haven't seen that with Tacomas. Maybe it's the price???)

I can make numbers look any way I want if I choose to work them in my favor. I am sure there are configurations of Tacoma that outsell the same configuration of Ranger, but the overall numbers will never be in Tacomas favor. But to try and make a statement of value from that is ridiculous.

Terry
  • lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    You may have a point, Terry, but I'm afraid I don't see it. Perhaps I should have provided the other compact PU production numbers. 292,760 for GM/ChevyS10 & clones and about 90,000 for the Frontier (+ 48,000 non-Frontier Nissan PUs made in Mexico). The Ranger outsold all of them by good margins including the GM compact PUs, so the perceived "Made in the USA" argument doesn't seem to apply here. And I'm pretty sure that model for model the Frontier was quite a bit less expensive than the Ranger, so that seems to contradict your logic regarding "fixed budget" people.

I thought the argument being made was that if Company A is selling more of its product than Company B, someone on the sidelines might get the impression that the reason could be that Company A is providing more of what potential customers want in the product to be purchased. Perhaps you don't believe that, but I do.

Well, I don't have a Ranger, so maybe I should stop here. Personally, I think more HP in the Ranger engine would be a welcome change, but there's a rumor that might be happening soon. If so, this topic might really heat up.
    It is happening in 2000 - 2001. You will see a 200 HP/ 225ft/lb V6. I'll test drive and decide if I want to order one and trade my 98 4.0 V6 5spd XLT kingcab in. I ordered it with the tow and offroad pkg also.
    The sales numbers do matter. If the Tacoma is so much "better" why are people buying the Ranger? I could have opted to pay the extra $2700 for a like equiped Tacoma. Instead I bought the truck that had more value, equal quality, for less money.
    lwf,

I understand what you are saying and that tells me I wasn't very clear in my earlier post.

My point with "Made in the USA" and being on a budget was that some people may perceive Tacomas as better vehicles than the vehicle they end up purchasing. But they won't buy a Tacoma because they are "foreign" or out of their price range and instead they buy a Ranger or Frontier or whatever. They are not necessarily making a statement about the vehicle they are purchasing as being better, just that it meets the bottom line.

Here's my example... in 1994 I bought my wife a Taurus because it was safe and within our price range. The Volvo wagon I wanted was equally as safe (if not moreso), but not in our price range. At that time, Taurus was the best selling vehicle -- period (according to vince8, that makes it the best car -- period), but I still think Volvo is/was a better car. The Taurus met our bottom line and we bought it.

I'm not going to argue the sales numbers -- they are what they are! But it is the interpretation of those numbers to say Ranger is better because it sells more than all others can not be supported purely from sales volume.

vince8,

First, you have never answered my earlier question as to why you think Tacomas are overrated. You just keep spouting "more value, equal quality, for less money" and this is all based on your experiences (while most statistics do not support your quality or resale value assertions in the least). As long as you believe it, then be happy. The rest of us who don't believe that are happy in knowing we bought a vehicle we believe has better resale value, better quality that was worth paying for now and getting back when we sell or trade.

People buy vehicles for a number of different reasons, but to say one is better than another purely because it has higher sales volume is ridiculous. You can not support that argument from those numbers.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Terry
  • mikec13mikec13 Member Posts: 26
    Last June when I bought, I drove a Tacoma and Ranger with the large engines, auto & 4x4. The Tacoma's engine was a little more powerful but what surprised me was that everything else about the trucks was pretty much a wash. I found the quality issue to be a non-issue. Both are simply fine trucks and it's hard to see how any compact buyer will go wrong with either. Ford had a financing deal at the time that was too good to pass up and I've not had any problem whatever in the 9 months and 8,500 miles since. For me the Ranger has been a very tight, good handling, fun little truck.

Regarding the sohc v6, I drove an Explorer Sport for a day with that engine and remember it pulled nicely on the highway. If I were buying new and it were available, I'd definitely go for it. Now if Ford would just make that autotrack 4x4 available...
  • workingmanworkingman Member Posts: 14
    My Ford Ranger has been a lemon. Here's the
    details: 1990 2wd XLT longbed. 4 cyl auto. Used
    almost always as a commuter vehicle. Bought from
    the original owner with 49K. Tranny went at 53K.
    Rear end(!)went at 57K Tranny went again before
    60K (rebuilt free). Fuel pump went about 70K
    leaving me stranded and requiring a tow. Engine
    went at 88K leaving me stranded and requiring a
    tow. Paint begin flaking off the roof, hood, etc
    at 65K. Tranny went AGAIN at 108K. Oil has been
    changed faithfully at 3-4K (4K max). In addition
    battery, brakes, tires, exhaust, ABS ($$$) module
    all went. It is (I still own it) by far the single
    most expensive vehicle I have ever tried to keep
    running reliably. As a contrast - I bought a 1984
    Mazda SE5 pickup new for about $6K and drove it
    159K without even changing the clutch. Ford Ranger
    again? No thanks! I'll get a Nissan or Toyota.
  • bankinbobbankinbob Member Posts: 3
    Manual transmission is the only way to go period.
  • azninvazionazninvazion Member Posts: 15
    a couple of comments to make:

1. WORKINGMAN could you please stop posting that same article, I have read it 3 times so far. What the deal was on your truck, I don't know. We will all take your story into consideration when buying a truck, but we do not have to read it 3 times to remeber it.

2. Vince and Wsnoble, Lying about the refering the reliability to an article that you have seen will not accomplish anything. Much of these articles are based on reputation and personal opinion. I do consider that most reports are based on fact, but you must understand that much of these reports could be written on the best case scenario, or worst case scenario. What I mean is that you can find goods and bads in everything, pending on where you look. Think about it. So if either of you want to swear by your truck, bickering like children and pointing out typos as a personal insult will not accomplish the remaining task, of which is better. My father has had a toyota pickup for 13 years with 170k miles with a busted clutch and messed up gearbox. All can be fixed, but I think we got our moneys worth. Still works but unreliable. I am going to buy a Ranger or a B-Series, why? Because price is a large factor. Reliability is a huge issue, which I debate about to myself everytime I think about the truck. I have heard horror and success stories about both trucks, some more then others, but the point still stands at where your perspective and experience lies. I have the experience with a toyota and without a Ford, but I will soon have the pleasure to try something new to clear a name gone bad or to add fuel to the fire of reliability regarding Ford. Either way it will be a learing experience for both myself and everyone I speak to about the truck.

3. To summarize #2, Person research and experience is important, but I am trying something new. I think everything relies on whether or not you buy a well built truck or a defect.

4. Buyer Beware.
    az, you have a computer search the Internet. The Ranger is rated well for reliablity.

I am not saying the Ranger is a better truck than the Tacoma. If anything they are about equal. Toyota of course has the reputation for reliability, as we all know. I guess I had a chip on my shoulder because a co-worker just assumed his Tacoma was just "better". After our shoot out his opinion changed.
    I have 12K now on my Ranger. They have not been the easiest of miles either. So far the truck is as solid as the day I bought it. Next weekend I head to the Blue Mountains for some camping.
    vince8

I to had the chip on my shoulder. I was growing tired of the "Tacoma's are overpriced" song and dance. I to feel the Ranger, like the Tacoma, is one of the best trucks out there. The Tacoma just fits my needs better. As I posted before I owned a 94 Ranger and was quite pleased with it. Again the Tacoma just suited my needs better, this time around.

AZ

As for the "Children bickering". I believe that was a bit much. I believe that vince8 and I both just feel strongly about our choices and were just stating our opinions based on research done by both of us. I know that if I was getting ready to purchase a new truck, that kind of "Bickering" would help educate me on the choice I was going to make. A good debate always almost always educates it's listeners.....

Happy Easter All.....

-wsn
    Happy easter
  • HolliwoodHolliwood Member Posts: 46
    After reading everything I could lay my eyes and hands on about compact V-6 trucks I finally made my decision. I also test drove the Mazda B-series 4000 and the Frontier. I choose to go with the Tacoma. My wife has a '97 4-Runner and we have been very pleased with it. It's still tight with no creaks or rattles. Though the Tacoma will cost me a little more, I just love the silky smooth V-6 which also, is in my wife's 4-Runner. I truly beleive that the Ranger, B-series, and Frontier(kinda plain looking) are all good choices, but I feel like I know Toyota trucks. To me the Tacoma squeaks by in my decision on what to buy.
    Back to the argument at hand, what are the pros and cons about both trucks.

Personally, I see the Tacoma as being a bit wimpy looking due to the fact that it seems lower to the ground. Although a raising kit and/or larger tires would EASILY solve this problem (I have seen the 4x4s, and I am impressed!), why spend more money on a standard v6 4x2 to get a 4x4 look? The pre-runner I would have taken into consideration, had it not been the fact that it does not come in a 5spd manual!?! What's the deal Toyota? We want a 4x2 with a 4x4 look at a 5spd Manual Trans.!!

The ranger does have its flaws though. Some of which include cheaply manufactured and installed interior parts. I have not had a first or second hand experience with fords (except the internet), but read many good and bad stories about the truck. If I can afford the ranger/b-3000, I will have a story to tell. If I cannot afford these vehicles, then I think I civic will suit me for my everyday commute. I hope I will be able to afford 16K against 11k.
    Ford Ranger has one of the best interiors in its class. Better go take a look. The quality of plastics/carpet used is excellent. All the reviews rave about its comfort/quality.
    The Toyota sits higher than the Ranger due to its larger tires also.
    Don't buy the 2.5, the 3.0 can be had for about $500 more. The MPG in the 5spd version of both the 2.5 and 3.0 is about the same also. For 16K you can get a 3.0 4x4 XLT 5spd. (At least in Oregon) I see them in the papers all the time. They come with air/pwr steering/brakes, pretty well equipped. A commuter, the Ranger is not though. Get your Civic for the commuting, that is of course if you can't swing the heavy gas bill.
    To all you Tacoma fans better check out what Edmunds had to say about it. Looks like the 5K difference doesn't cut the cake for Toyota "quality". The Ranger they are testing is reliable and every bit as worthy. Tacoma seats are uncomfortable, back has no room and much more. I was shocked when I read this. Usually Edmunds is quite bias and favors Toyota/Honda.
  • truckdrivinmantruckdrivinman Member Posts: 5
    vince8---I bought a 90 Toyota 4 cyl. 4X2 in 1990. I put a mere 197,000 trouble-free miles on it before trading it in on a 99 V6 Prerunner. My friend/co-worker has bought two Rangers in the past 6 years, and has accumulated far fewer miles than I have. Now for the simple math: One Toyota lasts 9 years. One Ranger lasts 4.5 years. Combine that with great FoMoCo rebates and financing, and you can see why the Ranger outsells the Toyota 2 to 1. Total sales, to quote you, is a "mute" point!
    How can you call sales a mute point? If the Toyota is so much "better" why doesn't it out sell the Ranger 2 to 1? Also, you better read the Edmunds review on your Tacoma. You paid thousands more for a perceived quality advantage. I owned a Ranger that went to 94K with only a clutch and brake replacement. Explain that one? A friend has a 4x2 Ranger with 180K, it runs fine, replaced clutch, brakes, fuelpump, tires, battery, explain that one? Also, check CR and other publications the Ranger is rated very well for reliablity, quality, interior quality.
  • truckdrivinmantruckdrivinman Member Posts: 5
    vince8-PLEASE!The word is "moot", not "mute". Perhaps I did pay more for a "perceived quality advantage" but with that I got 38 more hp, more torque, and locking rear diff. Something Ford did not offer. The Ranger is a nice truck, but I can't be enticed with low financing, I'm a Toyota man!
    OK, moot, moot, moot.
    Here is my opinion on "The bottom line." I am here to share my personal wisdom. As everyone probably knows from reading this posing, I started it and I am going to keep on writing in it. I have heard horror stories about the ranger. I have not heard so many about the Tacoma, but I have heard some. The ranger outsold tacoma by, i think it was 2:1, but not sure. My point is, that ford can't be such a bad truck if they have stayed in business for so long with the accumulation of that many sales. The american public is very concerned with reliability. Look at the hyundais, they were cheaper then the competition but they were pieces of crap, and they paid for it. The sales fell and they lost a lot of money.

So bottom line, Ford has to be doing something right for them to stay in business AND prosper. Toyota is OBVIOUSLY doing a lot of things right, why they have the reputation, but the price is a killer. Ford styling is better then the Toyota 4x2s.(maybe not the 4x4s.) and Ford has a decent Warranty. So Ford can't be all that bad, and it is going to be a risk I am going to take, without any PERSONAL experience. I have first hand experience with Toyota, but some things you just have to try for yourself.
  • reimand1reimand1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE HAD THREE PREVIOUS MAZDA PICKUPS AND MY LAST ONE-A 1996 B2300 SE I ABSOLUTELY HATED.OH,IT WAS TROUBLE FREE,BUT IT WOULDN'T GET OUT OF ITS OWN WAY. I ALWAYS BUY THE 5 SPEEDS. MY PREVIOUS TRUCK BEFORE THE 96 WAS AN 89. IN THE 96 THEY ADVERTISED 25 MORE HP AND 30LBS MORE TORQUE THAN THE 89 MODEL.-PROBLEM WAS MAZDA PUT IT ON THE LOW END AND LEFT 5TH GEAR WITH NOTHING. I TEST DROVE THE 99 MAZDA 6CYL,5 SPD.EXCAB,4 DOOR. AGAIN,IT SEEMS THAT IT HAS GREAT STARTING FROM DEAD STOP BUT 5 TH GEAR WAS AGAIN NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT. ALSO,THE AREA BEHIND THE DRIVERS SEAT ISN'T MEANT FOR ANYONE TO SIT IN.
    I TEST DROVE THE 1999 TOYOTA TACOMA EXCAB,6CYL,4WD,5 SPD. I DON'T KNOW WHERE EDMUNDS GOT THEIR PRICING FROM BUT I BOUGHT THE TACOMA EXCAB,6CYL,4WD,5 SPD,WITH THE SR5 PACKAGE,BEDLINER,ALLOY WHEELS W/265R75 TIRES,FOR LESS THAN $23,000 INCL N.Y.STATE TAX.! I ALSO HAD THE BUCKET SEATS-WHICH I FIND MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE THAN THE BUCKET SEAT IN THE MAZDA 99 MODEL. TRUE, YOU GOT MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK IN THE MAZDA,INCL. ABS BRAKES,4DR FOR $2,000 LESS-- BUT THE MAZDA 6CYL ONLY HAS 150HP VS 190HP IN THE TOYOTA-PLUS 220LBS TORQUE. IT'S NICE GOING UP MODERATE GRADES IN 5TH GEAR AND ACTUALLY MAINTAINING SPEED! COULDN'T DO THAT IN THE MAZDA.
    IF ONE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT PERFORMANCE THE MAZDA IS THE WAY TO GO-MAYBE.-I ALSO LOOKED AT THE NISSAN FRONTIER.VERY LITTLE ROOM BEHIND THE DRIVERS SEAT,BUT YOU PROBABLY THE BIGGEST BANG FOR THE BUCK,BUT STILL IS 20HP LESS THAN THE TOYOTA. I'M VERY PLEASED WITH MY TACOMA.THE RIDE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE A SEDAN.-IT'S A TRUCK.THE BUCKET SEAT ARE MORE COMFORTABLE THAN THE BENCH SEATS-BUT THAT'S A GIVEN!!
    Anybody seen the Tacoma board lately? Looks like some people are having problems with their clutches and brakes. I thought Toyota's had perfect reliability and that's why people pay 5k more for the big T on the grill.
    I don't think anyone claims perfect reliability, but Toyota has had a history of better reliability than other vehicles over time. Every make/model will have its share of "lemons", but I have not had any problems with the clutch or brakes.

Tacomas are not $5K more than anything else in their class comparably equipped.

I agree with azninvazion -- 4x2 Tacomas are butt ugly!

Terry
    Better check Edmunds write-up on the Tacoma.
    If the build quality between the Ranger and Tacoma is shrinking (I think it's about the same), why won't Toyota drop the price? How else are they going to challenge the Ranger's sales dominance?
    Vince8,

I had not read the article and stand corrected on the $5K difference. I can not imagine paying that kind of money for a pickup -- and then take it off-road on top of that... The Limited package was hard for me to imagine anybody even wanting when I was looking at trucks. I don't know why Edmunds chooses to test a vehicle that is beyond the average truck buyer's means... or maybe I'm just not making enough $$$... (Maybe Toyota suggested that vehicle as what they would prefer to have tested.)

mikec13,

There are still many folks willing to pay a premium for a vehicle that comes from a manufacturer with an outstanding reputation for quality (myself included). Toyota soaks up the extra $$$ doesn't want to challenge Ranger's dominance unless they can do it at the margins they are already achieving.

I'm happy with what I paid for my truck, but it's no where the vehicle that Edmunds is testing... I'm comfortable with the difference I paid over what a Ranger might have cost and believe over time I will continue to feel it was worth it. For now, I have no complaints...

Terry
    Terry,

I don't see anything wrong with paying more for quality (as to whether perceived or real in this case, who can see the future of an individual truck?). IMO anyone who is happy with what they bought did good.

My point with the price reduction to stimulate sales is that Toyota might more than make up for the reduced margins with increased volume. And at some point with the competition increasing quality up to Toyota levels, that margin is going to be harder to maintain anyway. I'd like to see the bean counters go for the gusto and make an aggressive price move...shake up the competition a little.

Personally, I really liked the Tacoma and have felt that the 4x4 model is the best looking compact out there. Had the price been nearly as equal between Tacoma and Ranger as my appraisal of the trucks, I might be driving one now.
    Mikey,
    I got to agree with you on the point that you made about the Tacoma 4x4 being the best looking compact. If the 4x2 came with the image the 4x4 has made, with comparable options, and a sticker price of 2K more, I would spring for the Tacoma. The prerunner is way too expensive and it does not come in a manual trans. I would love to get a 4x4 tacoma, or a prerunner manual. but the bills just aren't there

The Tacoma is just way TOO expensive for a compact pickup. You paid 23,000 for a beautiful truck, but I am paying 15K for a ranger, which I like the image, with 8K to spare. I could buy a geo with the amount of money that I have saved! For 23k I would have gone for the F-150, or a luxury car!! What I am trying to say, is that one of the main reasons I am buying a truck is for the price. I get a 15k truck that will last me for 8 years. That is all that I am hoping for. I am sorry to say 23K is way too much for a compact pickup.

Also, the comparable B-3000/Ranger to your truck is only 19K. that is 4K that you are saving. What do you need a 4x4 in NY? Are you going through the forests or are you staying in NYC?
    az,

Mikey? NY? Paid too much for my truck? One of us is a little confused.

I have a Ranger (4.0 ex-cab auto loaded). I'm in Pittsburgh (southwest PA) and 4x4 on a snowy day in hilly terrain is nice.
This discussion has been closed.