Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jec1031jec1031 Member Posts: 5
    Good evening all! Just wanted an opinion on owning or leasing my first BMW. The cost difference between the 2007 525i and the 530i are about four grand. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two are 40 additional horse power, and the standard Xenon lights for the 530i. Bottom line. For the money, am I better off with a 2007 loaded 525i, with 40 less horses, or a low end 530i. Are the 40 horses and the lighting worth the extra four grand, or is my money better else spent in a 525i with more options. Thanks!
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    That's a completely subjective call. Have you driven them both? What's important to you? Six months from now, which will you regret NOT buying? :cry: That's the one you choose.
  • ncbimmer1ncbimmer1 Member Posts: 14
    You have to drive the two and compare. When you drive the 530I you will appreciate the extra 40 horses. It's worth every penny :shades:
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    For daily driving the torque at the low end of the RPM range is the key. That is what gives you the kick in the rear feeling. The HP rating is typically reached at high RPMs which you rarely during daily driving.

The 525 will lack some of the kick compared to the 530. You may have to manually shift it down (even with the Auto, you can shift gears manually) to enjoy the same kick on the 525.

I personally found the 530 too quick for my taste and was worried that it would leave me vulnerable to traffic tickets in the 25-35 mph zones. I went with the 525 and use the manual shifter to get the more involved driving experience. On the 530 there is ample power that you do not need to shift manually.

The real difference between a 525 with Xenon and the 530 is around $3200. At the end of the day, people buy BMWs because of the driving experience. You have to drive the cars to see if it is worth it for you.

And as long as you are OK with RunFlats, definitely get the Sports Package since it really makes the car handle great.
  • azur025azur025 Member Posts: 2
    I've been shopping around for a 07' 530i with;

Steptronic
    Premium
    Sport
    Heated front seats
    PDC
    Navi
    Logic7 sound

I got a quote from Pacific BMW in glendale, CA. for $55,135. This includes the Maco fee of $440. The MSRP on the car is $58,270. Is this a good deal?
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    That is a good price. You are paying $1340 over invoice price.

I just ordered mine 07 530i:

Steptronic
    Premium
    Sport
    Navigation
    PDC
    Rear Sunshade

I paid $1188 over invoice.
  • laceylawlaceylaw Member Posts: 2
    I am purchasing a 2007 525i and the sales person told me that there is very little discount on the 2007 since they have just come out and that they could not come off the price very much. Is this right? The MSRP price is 51,415 and the invoice price is 47,520. Shouldn't they come off some on the 2007?
  • dallencatdallencat Member Posts: 28
    I got a little over $3000 off of MSRP, $1080 above invoice on a 2007 525i. I ordered it and it will be here soon.
  • laceylawlaceylaw Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your help. I am suppose to pick it up tomorrow, so I'll see what they do. If not, I guess I walk and try another dealership. Again, I appreciate the info.
    Good luck! Let us know how you do.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    I have a 550i on my shopping list, along with a few other 8-cylinder marques. I've spent a few hours going over a lot of these posts and thank you all for the info. But I have to admit, reading all about the "pricing", the "negotiating" (or lack thereof), "no discounts" -- shopping for a BMW is going to give me a severe headache! It sounds a bit like the old story of "hitting your thumb with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop"! I honestly wonder why someone would pusue a business deal with some of these salespeople? I stopped for a brief chat with the a local dealer and requested some literature on the 5-series, only to be subjected to the worst display of arrogance that I've seen in a long time. His pitch was that I would be happy to be the "first one on the block to own" and "most people just come in and write the check"! In other words, money should be no object! Wow! Maybe I'm answering my own question.

I'm still a few months away from making a decision, so I'll keep watching these boards in the hope that the market will force some of these prima-donnas into a more advantageous deal; after all, there's still a few other manufacturers out there that are also trying to sell a car.

THANX -- and remember, Life is Better at the Beach!
  • azur025azur025 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the the reply!

I finally pulled the trigger yesterday.

After seeing what you paid, I negotiated some more. MSRP on my 07' 530i+Options is $58,270 and I got it down to $55K Flat including the MACO fee. Can I ask where you went for you BMW? I've looked all over LA area and this is the best I could do. Some dealers just stopped returning my calls. I must of been pretty aggressive on the price.
    I am in Northern CA. Dealers around here are the same way. They think the vehicle is a precious commodity. I did everything by e-mail and over the phone. All wanted $2500 over invoice (that includes the MACO) but one dealer gave me $1188 over invoice. I was trying to get him to come down to $688, but he would not budge so I just bought it. This is for a car that is ordered, not on the lot. I basically ordered the options I wanted and nothing more.

BTW, good job in getting the dealer to give you the $55K price. He could of said that is the lowest price, and you probably would have taken it. The dealer didn't have to do it and neither did mine since they know the market value for this vehicle. My dealer said he would have given me a better price if it was the end of the year but I didn't want to wait.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new 2006/2007 BMW 5 Series and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday June 22, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the year of your 5 Series.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • 3mk3mk Member Posts: 8
    HI dallencat,

Can I ask what dealership you purchased your 525i from?
    Hi low ball 88,

Can I ask what dealership you got the great deal from.

Thanks
    Dave Walter BMW, Akron, Ohio. Great service, great price, overall great experience.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Does anyone know if there is any dealer holdback on the 2007 530i?
  • allnationallnation Member Posts: 18
    On 6/22/2006, I purchased my 2007 530i JetBlack/Beige /w Premium, Sports, Premium Sound, heated seats, comfort access, power rear shades, and sat radio. Importanly, I paid $400 over invoice plus MACO $440. I was going to purchase at $800 over invoice. But another dealer was willing to beat at $400 over invoice, so this dealer matched. I live in the bay area. Amazing car... You always want to deal with an internet/fleet manager on a weekday over phone or email. Then let diff dealers match prices one another.
    forgot to include navigation and automatic.
  • swiz454swiz454 Member Posts: 1
    A local dealer I have been working with has a car that includes all of the options I was looking in the color combo I want. Sticker is $57,070. When I asked what they could do one price given that the 5 series typically have at least $5k markup over invoice they replied $1200 under sticker. I then argued and stated that this car is a commodity and there are 4 other dealers within a 20 mile radius of theirs. They would not budge and basically told me to have a nice day. Well, there just happened to be a MB dealer across the street. I drove across the street and picked up a similiarly equipped '06 E350 for around $6k less than the 530i would have costed and got 2.9% financing for 36 months. I love BMW but when you have to go to a Mercedes Dealer to get a deal there something wrong there. BTW, loving the Benz.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    BMW doesn't have holdback in the technical sense... However, they have a couple of programs that together rebate about 5% to the dealers.. about half of that is dependent on their CSI scores...

Even given that, the market pretty much determines that you won't see a dealer dip into that money to make a deal.. Generally, you are going to have to work on the premise that you'll have to pay invoice + profit to make a deal on a BMW...

The question is... how much + profit are you going to have to come up with?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

>The question is... how much + profit are you going to have to come up with?

That is the question, isn't it?

Thanks for the info - very helpful.
    Does anyone know if BMW will be bringing back the 2.9% financing anytime soon? Thanks!
    I'm thinking about buying the 525i. I'm close to the bay area in norcal. Can you give me the name of the dealer. I would appreciate it, thanks in advance.
    Do you mind telling me who the dealer is? Was it a car on the lot or ordered to your spec?
  • akv25akv25 Member Posts: 42
    Guys:

I am looking at two different 2007 530xi's. Both are 36 mo/36K miles, 62% residual, $3000.00 down payment, $825 Acquisition Fee, and Security Fee of first month's payment.

Jet Black
    Leather
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Auto Trans
    Comfort Access
    Fold down seats
    Heated rear seats
    Nav system
    Logic 7 System
    Sale Price - $59,045.00
    Lease Payment - $715+tax

Black Sapphire Metallic
    Leather
    Cold Weather
    Premium Package
    Auto Trans
    Comfort Access
    Fold down seats
    Sale Price - $55,695
    Monthly Payment - $715 + tax

This is the first time I'm leasing a car. I don't have information on the invoice or the MSRP. Is the sale price and monthly payment reasonable. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • bilmacbilmac Member Posts: 3
    530Xi with
    Premium Package
    Automantic
    Cold weather
    Purchase price :$52,135

$693.50 for 36 monthslease 10K miles

How does this deal look?
    I wrote a msg once and was deleted because I mentioned specific names. So let me try it again.

Lowest offer was by a dealer in Berkeley(highly recommend).
    Matched by a dealer in Marin County, and bought it here.
    I bought a vehicle that was in a cargo on the way to US.
    You want to talk to an internet/fleet manager.

I hope this doesn't get deleted.
    I ordered mine from Berkeley as well back in May with the options I wanted and nothing more. The car will be arriving at the dealer this week. I guess the internet sales guy is starting to give a better deal than what he gave me back in late April. That was $788 plus $400 MACO.

He did mentioned to me that he could have given me a better deal if I took one of the cars that was already on its way to the dealership and have not be reserved/sold.

Thanks for the info.
  • fluid15fluid15 Member Posts: 60
    What is MACO? Is that a leasing term? I'm getting ready to start my car search and the 530i is my leading candidate, although I still need to drive one.
    Hey allnation, I took your tip and save myself some money. All it took was a phone call. Thanks alot! This forum is great!
  • afishionadaafishionada Member Posts: 31
    Our new '07 wagon came off the dealer's lot. While we got a great deal on the car, it does not have the satellite radio that we wanted. We thought it would cost no more than the $595 list price ont he BMW site, but the dealer says it will cost $995 to install because it did not come manufactured with the satellite and (according to them) is now more expensive to install. The dealer says the parts cost $500 and labor is an additional $500. The car was pre-wired for the satellite, so this seems high. Is there a cheaper way around this?

Thanks for any help/ideas!
    I am glad that you saved money! My family just drove our new 530i to Mammoth Lake after going thru yosemite. The lakes look great! With a full passenger+bag load, great torque and great handling!

2007 BMW 530i Jet Black/Beige
    Auto, Premium, Sport, Premium Sound, Navigation, Power Rear Shade, Sat radio, Comfort Access, Heated seats
  • cch9455cch9455 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,
    I am a newbie to this board but have found the posts very helpful. I am ready to pull the trigger on a 2007 with the following" Sport, PP, Heated front seats, Satellite, Automatic. 1st offer by dealer was about 1700 over which seems high.
    Question1. Is premium sound well worth it?
    Question 2. Is the active steering a must? I drive to and from work highway 30 miles each way and will have kids i the car on the weekends so not driving the autobahn!

Thanks
    I just got my 2007 525i and love the premium sound. I did not get the CD player, but only the Logic7 speakers. I got the Satellite radio so didn't want the CD.

I did not get active steering, so cannot comment on it.

Re the price, I got quotes from 5 local dealers and went back to the closest dealer who beat the best quote by $100. The amount over invoice was $1080. I feel like it was very competitive.
  • benbrandtbenbrandt Member Posts: 2
    I am in New York City...

Any advice would be great!!!

Here was the offer:

2007 BMW 525xi (wont be delivered till mid september if ordered this week)

36 Month Lease
    15K/per year
    Automatic Transmission
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Navigation System
    Sirius Sat Radio
    60%

MSRP: $52,815.00
    Invoice: $50,315.00

$699 first month, $700 Security Deposit, $625 Acquistion Fee, Fees & Ins (upfront) $53, Taxes $2170

Total Out of Pocket: $4,247

Monthly Payment:$699.00

Is this a fair deal, or should I be able to get a better price?

Thanks for your help!
  • jjdowjjdow Member Posts: 20
    I was quoted $795 to have it installed here in Houston by the dealer for a 330i. Same logic on the labor but lower cost. Dont know if that is because its a 3 series vs 5 series
  • mbe320sembe320se Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy a Olivine Green 525Xi with auto transmission and heated seats- nothing else. Am willing to wait for delivery or can arrange to do European Delivery. Any idea as to a best price? How much under MSRP should I target? Am in tri-state area. Thanks.
  • fm1fm1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi Guys,

I live in Dallas area. I am thinking to order 530i with the following options:
    Auto/Pre. Pkg/Sport/Logic7/Park distance
    MSRP is $55970. The best I could find so far is $53170. I would like to know if this is a good deal or I should keep on looking? I would appreciate if someone tell me any city in the South good for purchhasing BMW.
    One other question, last year BMW offered tax credit(no sales tax). Any idea, if this program will be available this year? Thanks.

fm
  • funguy92funguy92 Member Posts: 1
    Personally, for my taste, I alway avoid the sport pagackage. While this package has some attractive features the car rides very, very stiff - again, in my option.

I have a friend who has a used car lot and he lets me drive all kinds of import. I drive them on business trips of 6 to 8 hours each. the sport pack is not a problem if you just driving around town but boy when on a long trip driving a sport pack BMW is like driving a F250 or 2500 pickup truck

good luck as everyone has different taste...
    Okay deal. That is $1470 over invoice of $51,700. I have seen others on the board that got $800 - $1000 over. If you don't mind paying around $500 - $900 more, then go for it since that it the best price in your area.

Some have flown to other States to get a better deal. Is it worth it? It all depends on you.
  • lou425lou425 Member Posts: 2
    I am very close on my decision for a 530xi with a number of options. I have gotten a number of quotes, best one is $1000 over invoice. Does it matter if I order now or in September? Are there new features/options that will be available in September that would cause me to wait? I had heard that there will only be the premium sound package offered with option for ipod OR 6-CD.
  • afishionadaafishionada Member Posts: 31
    I guess it is in the same ball park. It just seems high considering that you still have to pay the monthly service fee. I may wait to get to my in-laws in SC where the labor has to be cheaper. Thanks.
  • lawman10lawman10 Member Posts: 15
    Carman I was wondering if you can help me out on this lease dilema that I am facing. My lease on 2003 530i is over in September. I have one payment left and I am over my miles by 3000.

I found a 2007 525 that I like its black with auburn seats which makes me want the car. The car only options on the car is the premium package, xenon lights, and satelite radio.

After negotiating with the dealer and really trying to get the car for the rock bottom price they are offering it to me for $642 including tax for 24 months 12K miles a year with $2000 due at signing plus first month security. The $2000 includes my first payment. He is holding the car for me until Wednesday. I am just trying to determine it this is a good deal. Can you please help. I need all the help I can get on this one. Thanks everyone. I am open to any suggestions on what people have.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I posed this question on the "Real World Trade-in Values" forum, but got no response, so I thought I'd ask advice here:

I'm looking at a used 530xi:

2006 530xi sedan
    Silver, black leather
    8,100 miles, not CPO
    Pretty well loaded: Premium, Sport, Cold, PDC, Satellite radio, Premium sound, Navigation, Heads-up display, manual trannie.

Original MSRP was $58,840.

I'm at $49k with them.

Overall, I think it's a pretty fair price, based on the equipment level and looking at other listings (although this is the only manual trannie one out there).

Any thoughts?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    How long do you plan on keeping it?

I would push for them to CPO the car.. This would be the least expensive time that they could do it.. they would only have to fill out the paperwork and pay BMW for the warranty, as the car should need ZERO to bring it up to CPO standards..

It is hard to comment on the price... I don't have much to compare it to, other than a new one.. While I admire that you want a stick-shift, keep in mind that there are probably very few others who want an AWD stick 5-series.. You should bargain hard...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Thanks for the advice.

I did ask them to CPO it at that price. That was basically my counteroffer, which they declined. They did say they'd CPO it for $2k! So, they seem to be sticking to their guns right now.

Based on their used inventory, it appears that anything with pretty low miles is not CPO'd, and anything over around 20k miles is a CPO.

As far as the stick-shift thing, I agree with what you're saying, but the challenge is that there are ZERO other vehicles like this to choose from or compare to. A couple of weeks ago, a used manual trannie 530xi wagon showed up locally; I called on it that day and was going to go see it the next day, but it sold that evening after I called. I was shocked - I figured, who else was interested in such a car?

As you said, there are few others who may want a manual 5-series, but I'm starting to wonder if, when they are available, if those few people come out of the woodwork and snatch them up.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• akende1akende1 Member Posts: 11
    Hello All,

I a new to this forum, but I have read so many of your posts on various topics. Basically, I am buying a 2007 BMW 525i soon and I want to get some feed back on my current deal. Thanks in advance.
    Here the deal:
    2007 BMW 525i, automatic, Prem. Pkg, Contour Seats, Logic 7 sound, 6 disc CD(dealer installed, Nav., Comfort access, Xenon Headlights, Park Dist. Control, and Sat. Radio.
    MSRP: $54765 (includes $695 dest. fee)
    Invoice: $50760 (includes $695 dest. fee/$200 MACO/$180 training)
    My Price: $52600 (includes dest. fee) just need to pay tax/tag/document/dealers fee<$289>

What is the VERDICT? :confuse: