Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bombshell573bombshell573 Member Posts: 2
    Good Evening. I live in Birmingham. Do you have a contact name and number for the Nally Dealership in Atlanta? When will your vehicle arrive at the dealership? Thank you for your time.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Well.. Figure $3K for the warranty and $1500 more for the maintenance extension.. That might not be exact, but it is pretty close..

So, $4K+ to get only 2 extra years of warranty, during which you will only drive 18K-20K miles. Seems like a lot.

Also, if you don't make it to the 60K mark, you'll likely not get the value out of the maintenance plan...

I'd rather put the money in the bank as a maintenance/repair fund.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    I would look at 3rd party warranty:

Universal Underwriters Group and EasyCare both are good companies.

You can purchase these plans through dealerships.

Check with you local BMW dealership, then ask the BMW Service Manager his opinion reference the program and the claims process.

These pricing for these programs are negotiable!

Good Luck!
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I'd listen to kyfdx; you will probably not have any real maintenance/repair issues. All extended warranties and maintenace programs have profit and commissions in their pricing structure. Bank your money and self insure.
  • porcodinciporcodinci Member Posts: 14
    Thx,

The more I thought about it, the closer I came to you guys' conclusion about the warranty and maintenance plan.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    I do not disagree with their input, but if you look at the bmw forums (bimmerfest and others) there are people with and without warranties on these cars. The ones without are not very happy about replacing $5K engines and $6K transmissions. At any rate, most trips to the service department will be in excess of $500.

I am getting a 6yr/50K comprehensive warranty $100 (Ded) from UUG for about $1500. Just like buying the car you need to negotiate to get a good price.

I love my BMW, but it loves to visit the service center.

It is risk management decision. Based on my last extended warranty purchase, I received 3 times more in return repairs than I paid for the program. With 6 years of additional coverage, I am almost positive that I will get plenty of return on my investment!

Best of luck to all!
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Maintenance Plans and Extended Warranties are insurance policies. Profit and commissions come off the top and the remainder covers everyone in the pool. If you come out ahead, others lose.
    I might have different advice, if you could come close to using most of the warranty. If your car was just over three years old, and you had 49K miles, and expected to get to 90K before the end of six years... it would at least be a reasonable deal..

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties... but, some people are happier with them, than without.. But, in this case, with those paramaters, you are only using about 1/3 of what you are paying for.. It has to be a bad deal...

One other point... If you do buy an extended warranty from the BMW dealer (of any kind) and plan on having your car serviced there.. you really should buy the extended maintenance. At least that way, what might not be covered by the warranty is likely to be covered by the maintenance plan.. Nothing worse than shelling out all that money, and still having to pull out your wallet, every time you go in..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ckrelingckreling Member Posts: 23
    Current base price MF for 2007 525 or 530 i is .0005 and for xi is .001. Your dealer is not allowed to markup more than .0004 per BMW so you would be getting hosed. I got .0012

Go to bimmerfest.com to see actual lease rates.
  • jagoojagoo Member Posts: 23
    I don't know how to send you a private message but send me your email if you can. The vehicle will be ready in January and I am flying to munich with my amex points to pick it up. BMW ships it free to the US, it will arrive here in early February.
  • bombshell573bombshell573 Member Posts: 2
    Email address: DoctorPatriciaP@netscape.net

Thank you.
  • jagoojagoo Member Posts: 23
    I tried that email and it was not recognized, do you have an alternate email. You may email me at sholaesq@gmail.com
  • countrygirl2countrygirl2 Member Posts: 12
    Wondered if the previous California Bay Area poster got his deal of $1500 over invoice, MF of .0005? Or if anyone else out there got this, or close to this (even if not in the CA Bay Area)?? If so, can you provide name of dealership?

I approached 2 Bay Area dealers. Here's the result right off the bat: one offered MSRP and a .0005 money rate (2500 Sec.Dep.), the other offered $1100 above invoice at .0009 money rate ($2500 Sec.Dep). Haven't gone back to either of them yet to negotiate.
    regarding my previous post: mean't to write "$500 security deposit" (not $2500)
  • porcheinterestporcheinterest Member Posts: 3
    Here is what some dealar quoted for me:

Ok the 530i 4 door sedan rear wheel drive 36 months 10k per year auto, prem pkg, cwp dest. would be $497.58 per month and $4352.73 due @ signing total except plates and dmv fees.
    MSRP: $50,220

Is this a good deal?
  • stevedc34stevedc34 Member Posts: 25
    I was offered a quote BMW 530Xi, 36 months, 15k per yr for $758 per month and 2400 total due at signing. This seems like a bad offer. Can anyone offer some advice. Thanks.
  • chadmandelchadmandel Member Posts: 11
    Your deal is not good, and most of the deals people are quoting here are not good. Anyone who wants a good deal needs to shop in southern CA (start with the greater LA area)--that's where the competition is. Deal through the internet salespeople. Use email. You can get all the dealership names and contact info on bmwusa.com for any area in the country. I'm in Phoenix, the 5th largest city in the US, and there are not good deals here b/c there are only 2 dealerships here. You need to shop where there is competition to make deals; look at the cost to ship as a nominal cost of doing business. I had my 530i shipped from LA to PHX for $350. Even shipping to the midwest shouldn't be more than $750-$1000, which equates to $20-30/month on a 3-year lease.

I just leased a 530i with Premium Package, Sirius Radio and Automatic (MSRP of $51,865). Cap Cost was $49,970 which works to $1000 over invoice plus MACO. I negotiated no mark-up on the MF or acquisition fee (but I also found that most dealers will not agree to this). My up-front payment was only the first month's payment, one security deposit of $650 (since I am a first-time BMWFS user), about $60 in DMV fees, and shipping. My payment is $564.18 before sales tax ($609/month after tax for me). This was based on a 36 month lease with 15K miles per year.

Be smart and do not overpay.
  • sixpaqssixpaqs Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2007 530i 6 Speed manual transmission on order. I get it in January. 36 month lease, 15K/year. With premium and sirius radio. Lease payment is $584 before taxes. No money down, just 1 security deposit and first month payments. Total due at start is about $1400. I am in Miami, but got a better deal from Ft. Lauderdale dealer over the internet. Can't wait to get it.
  • itabackitaback Member Posts: 21
    I just ordered a 525xi and thought I would share my info for those interested since I always have found everyone else's info so valuable....

2007 525xi
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Navigation
    Xenon lights
    $53,120 msrp

36 months, 10k mi per year

$579 per month (including NJ tax) with approx $2,400 total due at signing.....I looked around quite a bit and feel very good about the deal.... :shades:
  • ukrainianukrainian Member Posts: 10
    :confuse: about 6200 down which is i think 3,200 cap reduction,rest is fees and taxes. car has NAVI, steptronic,cold weather pack., 15k miles,no other frills.

monthly is 499.. for 24 months........ gonna order it tomorrow for february delivery.

please comment.
  • ukrainianukrainian Member Posts: 10
    also, msrp is 50,320.... i think negotiated price is 48,375..........

PS. how does everyone know how much it is over invoice? how much is mine? is this a stupid question? :cry:
    Does anyone know the "real" acquisition fee in California from BMW Financial Services? I'm working a deal for a 525i, and I have a dealer insisting it's $825, not $625, and that he isn't marking it up.
    go to www.kbb.com and build your car to find out invoice price
  • nicktherabbitnicktherabbit Member Posts: 14
    If you have the time and patience, Euro delivery is THE way to purchase a new BMW ...

My deal: 550i, Sport, Steptronic, Logic 7 (no changer), Satellite radio, Sunshades, Folding rear seat, Heated front seats. Monaco Blue w/ Auburn leather.

36mo lease (35 payments), 15K mi, 0 cap reduction, out of pocket (first payment, tax, license) $1300, So Cal delivery.

List - $66K and change
    Purchase option - $59K even
    Agreed Lease Payment - $808/mo

I will save even more by using flyer and hotel points to Munich to pick up my car in early January for delivery to the West coast in late February.
    So I got my lease deal on a 525i (the details of which I'll provide in a later post), all done by email, and my finance application has been approved. My car arrives in mid-January. While I have an email string as documentation, they've asked for no deposit, and I have no signed paperwork from them (nor do they have any signed papers from me). The dealer advised that all of the paperwork and exchange of money will be taken care of when I pick up the car.

So, what exactly prevents the dealer from attempting to renegotiate or potentially renege in January (long after the BMW lease promotion expires). Should I insist on putting a deposit down??

Am I being a bit too distrustful or overly cautious here?
    Are you traveling to Munich to pick up your new BMW? If so, you will actually sign and fund the lease about 30 days prior to your physical pick up of the car, they will have the VIN number and all the details completed and it will be ready for your pick up. If you are very near the 30 day mark, suggest a call Monday morning to see about next steps.

If you are picking up your car locally, without the Munich visit, that is not Euro delivery - you can only get the special treatment with a personal visit to the BMW delivery center in Munich.
    No, this is not a Euro delivery. I'm picking up the car at a California dealership.

I wonder... should I just go there, and insist they take a deposit to secure this deal before the car arrives in January? Sounds a bit backwards.
  • sixpaqssixpaqs Member Posts: 21
    I was facing the same dilemna with my 530. I don't get it until mid-January, and the dealer didn't seem too concerned with any paperwork. The deal was worked out by email and telephone, and he kept telling me everything was in order, but I was a little concerned, as you seem to be. I insisted that he send me an order confirmation, and told him I would send him a deposit. (Since when does someone have to force a deposit check on a car dealer???) He sent me by mail the confirmation which included the VIN number and the production number. I was able to check out the status of the car using the production code at the BMW website (Owner's Circle, create an new account). When I first checked, the car was awaiting transportation to the US, and it is now "en route" to the vehicle processing center. It also confirms that the color and model are correct. I am more relaxed now, but like you, it doesn't seem to make sense to me. When I got my current MB, they were the complete opposite.

Good luck with your car. I am pretty excited about getting mine. First BMW since 93.
  • lamplamp Member Posts: 20
    hi nickthrabbit, do you mind telling me which dealership in so cal that you made the purchase?

I am am in so cal, and am looking for a 530i w/ permium pkg, park distance control and auto tran. 36mo 15k miles per year zero down
    bmwusa.com estimated payment to be about $670 (quote price is $51.5k)
    I would like to see what i can get from dealers.

Thanks!
    I just got a call from one of the local dealers in so cal,
    36mo lease, premium pkg, park distance control, auto tranny,
    15k miles per year, drive off is a little over $1000 (that includes first month payment, title, doc fee etc).
    monthly payment is $639 before tax...which will be $692 after 8.25% CA sales tax.

How's that deal sound??
    forgot to mention, it is a 07 530i
  • tinocotinoco Member Posts: 18
    It is in fact $625.00 - if you have not signed the deal yet, run... what is the deal you have on the table now? Let me know I may be able to help you a little bit. What state do you live in?
    I got a 530i recently - msrp of 54,070.00 paid $900.00 over invoice, no down payment, I included 4 security deposits, each sec. deposit is equal to one months payment, however you get this money back when you return the car at the end of the lease - the purpose if this is to lower the Money Factor. My monthly payment, including tax is $585.00 - did a lot of work to get to this point but well worth it. You can email me if you'd like and I can give you the dealership and the salesperson I dealt with. Good Luck!
    Here it is:

MSRP: $47,470 (includes premium pkg and auto transmission)
    Dealer Discount from MSRP: $2475 (this is $1070 over invoice)
    MF = .00070
    Acquitision Fee: $625

I don't really care if the dealer makes his margin on marking up the MF, marking up from invoice, or marking up the acquisition fee, as long as the TOTAL markup is reasonable. I could have negotiated a .00050 MF, but he'd just respond by reducing the dealer discount equally, so what would be the point? This is a reasonable deal - actually this is a VERY GOOD DEAL.

If I do 10,000 miles/year (63% residual), $3100 down (also known as "cash cap reduction"), my monthly payment is $432. In this event, my security deposit is $450.

If I do 12,000 miles/year (62% residual), $3100 down, my monthly payment is $445. In this event, my security deposit is $450.

If I do 15,000 miles/year (60% residual), $3100 down, my monthly payment is $473. In this event, my security deposit is $500.

Obviously, if I decease the down, my monthly payments will increase. (Don't ask why I chose $3,100!)

For those who assisted, thanks for your help. I pick it up January 13.
    forgot to mention, it's a 36 month lease.
    Hi - Lamp:

Sorry for the delay, last minute Christmas shopping you know! I found a good guy at Nick Alexander Imports, in a rather rough area of LA, which means lower overhead and few walk-ins ... meaning people who seek them out get better deals. Talk to Ed in the Internet sales group, say you are Lamp and I will let him know. Best part, one price, one try, super easy.

Good luck.
    All I can say is SWEET deal ... how many miles and options, etc.?
    15k, premium, sports, auto - all I really needed..
  • cassvirgocassvirgo Member Posts: 2
    MSRP: $63,065
    Asking Price: $60,179
    $4k to drive off (tax, title, , license, acquistion)

36/36K @ $715 a month

Is this a good deal?

Here are the specs:

2007 530xiT

Auto, Premium, Nav, cold weather, Logic 7, sat radio,
    comfort access, park distance control, rear seat heaters,
    rear window shades
  • burnsrjburnsrj Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to take advantage of cheap leases from BMWFS and pick up a new 5 series before the end of the year. Has anyone had a particularly good (or bad?) experience in the Washington DC area? How much over invoice should I be shooting for?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Is that Canadian dollars??
  • migitymigity Member Posts: 4
    I lurked here for a couple of weeks and pulled down a lot of knowledge, THANKS!!
    Rate this:

Was talking to 3 dealers for +3 weeks. Conveniently 2 of the dealers sold the car I was working on. Told them I was working on a deadline of Dec. 23 for a XMAS gift. Came thru w/ a good deal in my opinion:

525i - black on black leather
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Xenon lights

$1,020 drive off - $595 a month/36 months/15,000 mpy
    Residual $$ - $32,600

MSRP - $52,927
    60% Residual
    Great deal!!

Congratulations on the new car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pjscrspjscrs Member Posts: 1
    How about this Lease deal:

2007 530i (Premium, Logic7, Winter, Heater and Fold Down Back Seats)
    MSPR $52770

Price Paid ED $47272
    MF .00080
    Residual 60%
    Term 36 months
    Miles 15k/yr
    Upfront(Lease Renew)$625 + tags + (7) MSD's

Monthly (PA Tax INCL) $499.30
  • prancinghorse9prancinghorse9 Member Posts: 11
    hi all
    2007 530 msrp 54870
    nav, premium parktronic auto
    zero down, zero drive off, zero security
    668/month
    36 month 15000/yr
    any thoughts on it
  • robertc623robertc623 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what dealership?
  • prancinghorse9prancinghorse9 Member Posts: 11
    new century BMW in Southern Cal
    Bald headed Chinese guy
    BMW of Mountainview in Northern Cal. I went in and met the salesrep I'd been working with, so intuitively, I feel a bit better.

But in general, I think its odd that there is no "lease contract" in place or deposit required, in order to bind both the dealer and the lessee, prior to date of delivery (which in my case, is January 13).
  • mftmrtmftmrt Member Posts: 17
    With 7 security deposits, is the lowest mf rate .00011 or is it .00008?