Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wolfer2wolfer2 Member Posts: 10
    In the Kansas City area (actually in a Kansas suburb).
  • flyfisherflyfisher Member Posts: 8
    I am currently looking at getting either a cpo 2004 525 or 530 with premium, cold weather, and xenons with somewhere in the low 30's mileage wise. I am wondering what people have been paying for similar vehicles. I have talked to one dealer who was not very interested in coming down from his sticker price, which was significantly above the Edmunds TMV price. I am in the mid atlantic region and there seem to be plenty of these cars out there.
  • tocheer4tocheer4 Member Posts: 9
    Seattle dealer insists that the MF is .00305 for current owner and .0018 is for current lease owner only. Is it true?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Base rate for new customer is .0025

The dealer is marking it up the maximum (.0004), plus adding .00015 for security deposit waiver.

The .0018 is for current BMWFS customer only.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    I guess that provided the different MFs for different models, that the customers' MFs will also be different. Therefore, is there a formula for calculating the MF for customers (as determined by BMW FS)? It appears that the discount is fairly significant for customers for 5-series (28%)!
  • gxorlrgxorlr Member Posts: 16
    I have a final ask (Iam not sure if he will come down more but am hopeful we have been back n forth just twice so far via email) a NJ dealer for a 2006 530I with 18,200 miles on it. Wants $42,675.30 OTD! NAV, Premium Pkg, Xenon! My offer was $41,175.00 OTD! A lot of 530s are coming off (the 24/27 mo lease I hear). Any input for any of you will be helpful. I was bent of RL but I have to choose between GS350 or 530i. Please let me how numbers look. Thank you.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I have a final ask (Iam not sure if he will come down more but am hopeful we have been back n forth just twice so far via email) a NJ dealer for a 2006 530I with 18,200 miles on it. Wants $42,675.30 OTD! NAV, Premium Pkg, Xenon! My offer was $41,175.00 OTD! A lot of 530s are coming off (the 24/27 mo lease I hear). Any input for any of you will be helpful. I was bent of RL but I have to choose between GS350 or 530i. Please let me how numbers look. Thank you.

What is the car's original MRSP? Is it BMW certified or does it at least have an extended warranty?
  • vinay1974vinay1974 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone help or suggest what the price should be for a 2008 535i BMW with the foll:
    - Premium Pak
    - Navigation Sys
    - iPod
    - Comfort Access
    - Premium Speakers
    - Parking Distance Control
    I am planning to BUY this car in the San Jose, CA area. Any help or info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • wonsungeewonsungee Member Posts: 12
    This is a quote I got from the local dealer. How does it look/

2008 528i sedan
    space gray, black, or platinum gray with black leatherette
    -auto transmission
    -navigation
    36 months
    10k miles per year
    $2,000 total drive off
    $678 including tax per month
  • bmw_userbmw_user Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I could finally negotiate with a dealer the following price for the following configuration:
    BMW 528i with
    Cold weather package
    Premium package
    automatic transmission
    Xenon lights with adaptive control
    USB and ipod adapter
    The price is $50,000 including taxes, fee everything.
    Is this a good price? I guess so as I got $52,000 in cars.com
    Also there is an option to take additional warranty after 50,000 miles for something around 2,000. Is it a good idea to take the warranty now or later?
    Also the dealer I am buying is not the one that's close to me. Should I get the warranty from a dealer close to me or it doesn't matter?
    Also please advise me if I need to be careful with anything else when I am buying.
    Thanks.
  • spyder52spyder52 Member Posts: 30
    Hey everyone! I've just encountered the most unprofessional and rude dealer in So Cal! It's SANTA MONICA BMW, in Santa Monica, CA. May be it's "my fault" as a customer but I offered 4K less on a BMW 525i than it's asking pricing. Here's the General Sales Manager's direct response to a potential new customer. It's interesting that this type of sales guy can find a job in a luxury car dealer. Ultimate Driving Machine it may be, but certainly NO Ultimate Customer Service. I am dealing with caveman here.

From the dealer general sales manager:

"Wholesale book is $36,600 we are asking $36,999 $400 over wholesale. This is an unbelievable price! Sounds like it may be too much car for you. Let me know if you want to reconsider your unrealistic offer or would like a car that is in your budget. Thank you, General Sales Manager"

So please don't try to get cute or try to negotiate with them, they are TOUGH guys! At least dinasaurs when come to savvy and ability to sell.
  • spyder52spyder52 Member Posts: 30
    Check out this dealer rating site about Santa Monica BMW

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Santa-Monica-BMW-review-82/

Bad bad things!
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    I am buying a 535i. It is on order and should be here in a few weeks. Does anyone have a comment regarding the extended warranty? I tend to hold on to a car and can see keeping this for 6 or more years, if all goes well. What should I expect to pay and is it better to purchase the warranty now or wait until later, closer to the end of the 4-year warranty. Any advice is appreciated.
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Save your money and use the 4 years to conduct research to find a good warranty company.

After 4 years of operating the car, you can decide if you need an extended warranty?

There are numerous good and bad extended warranty options.

I used UUG backed by Zurich for my 2003 5-series.

Good Luck!
  • gxorlrgxorlr Member Posts: 16
    I dont know the MSRP yet. But yes it comes certified plus the residual warranty. Like I said 18k on it so far.
    Thanks.
    Thanks for the input. I put on about 12K miles/year so I should get the full 4-years out of the warranty. I really don't like the idea of paying now for something I won't need for four years and thus I'm leaning toward wainting.
    Well, it's now about six weeks since I ordered my 535. I just got word from the dealer that it's built and waiting in Europe for shipment at the port. I could have it as early as the end of July.

My 3 Series lease will end Aug.23rd. The question is, if I turn it in early will BMWFS pro-rate me on either car? Or, do I just wait it out?
    FYI: I learned from my dealer that BMW does not pro-rate their leases if turned in early.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    When they leave you the message that your new car is ready..., don't call them back for a couple of days.. Then, tell them it will be the first of next week before you can get in, as you are going out of town on business..

You can easily put off delivery for a couple of weeks..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

When they leave you the message that your new car is ready..., don't call them back for a couple of days.. Then, tell them it will be the first of next week before you can get in, as you are going out of town on business..

You can easily put off delivery for a couple of weeks..

Thanks. Dealer already told me they understood that I would not take delivery immediately should the new car come in weeks before the older lease expires. They said they have a "room" for purchased cars that will be safe from being test driven and the lookieloos.
    I have never done lease before. This time I want to try lease a 2008 535i. Here is what I got so far

Silver, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Park Distance, HD

$1500 over invoice, .0020 MF (another dealer offer $1750 over), 10,000 / yr miles

What should I look for? Can I negotiate residual value? What's the residual value?

The delivery date is late Oct. That long?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I ordered a 535i at the end of last month. It completed production after a week (as per the BMW owner's circle.) For the past 10 days it has been sitting on a wharf in Germany awaiting transport. Any experience out there regarding how long it usually takes to get shipped. I was told to expect 8 weeks for delivery, but the time table I was given assumed a longer period to build the car. I'm thinking of hopping a plane to Germany, but the family and work would not be pleased......
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    This is just a repeat of my previous question (#2672) that was not answered, when kyfdx mentioned that the current lease customers may get a MF of 0.0018. Namely, my question was if this much lowered MF was only for a 535 or it applied for other BMWs. In addition, provided the different MFs for different BMW models, is there a formula for calculating the MF for the lease customers? This would be great, as the discount would be fairly significant, as the current MF for 535 is 0.0025, so 0.0018 would mean that the MF would be discounted 28% for current lease customers!
  • pearl85pearl85 Member Posts: 4
    ordered a 535i at the end of last month. It completed production after a week (as per the BMW owner's circle.) For the past 10 days it has been sitting on a wharf in Germany awaiting transport. Any experience out there regarding how long it usually takes to get shipped. I was told to expect 8 weeks for delivery, but the time table I was given assumed a longer period to build the car. I'm thinking of hopping a plane to Germany, but the family and work would not be pleased......

I ordered my 535 about the same time you did. Mine is similarly built and waiting for transport. My dealer told me that at this point the on-line information is incorrect and can lag by a week or two and to just ignore it. He went on to tell me the car should arrive here by about 7/25 and that it could be at the dealer by the very end of the month.

Well, time will tell, who or what to believe. Keep us informed and I'll do the same.
  • awhmawhm Member Posts: 7
    Had a similar experience - the key dates to keep in the back of your mind is the 8 weeks - ugh...as Owner's Circle does a great job of building anticipation - hint, hint, hint! I checked my car's status every day as I was awaiting and being in the manufacturing/production field, I am not surprised that certain segments were completed ahead of a proposed date and this is all part of managing the flow. Ideally, the car would go from parts to assembly line to boat to port to ground transport to dealer to you - without any breaks. However, it is not feasible to send a ship loaded with only one car. I received mine ahead of the expected delivery date and although I would wanted to have it sooner (since BMW was exceeding expectations at almost every step) I was still excited to receive the call advising it is in and ready for pickup.
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    I ordered my 2008 535i in mid April. I took delivery on June 5th, or about 7 weeks from order to delivery. That's about average, since I've ordered 3 5 series cars in the past 4 years, and each of them took about 7 weeks.
  • vinay1974vinay1974 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, If you dont me asking how much did you pay over invoice price and what packages did you opt for. Thanks!
    I heard from my dealer that the car left Germany on the 17th and is expected to arrive in the U.S. on the 5th. He anticipated that it would arrive at the dealer on the 15th, which is 6-7 weeks after it was ordered. We'll see.
  • arizdudearizdude Member Posts: 3
    MSRP - $51,660
    Cap Cost (claims $500 over invoice) - $49,625
    quoting 60% residual on 36 month lease 15k miles
    MF .0022 (5.28%)

I am an existing BWM 3-Series lessee with BMWFS and I think the money factor quoted is way too high. Can anyone confirm that BMW is offering 3.9% (MF .001625) for existing customers on the 528i series 36 month lease in July. Am I getting hosed?

Chapman BMW in Phoenix Arizona is my dealer
  • wolfer2wolfer2 Member Posts: 10
    I ordered my 535xi on June 29. My dealer just told me it shipped on July 23 and is scheduled to arrive August 11. It supposedly take another 7-10 days to get to the dealer. That would be just over 7 weeks.
    Heard from my dealer that my 535 (ordered 6/13) is now in L.A. and will be at the dealer early next week. Unfortunately with my current lease being up on 8/23, I don't want to turn it it THAT early, so I'll probably wait until 8/6 to pick it up.

What would others do with this "dilemma"?
    1500 over invoice. .002 MF 62% residual 12,000 、yr
  • rkmamidi1rkmamidi1 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2005 BMW 525i at Chapman BMW in Phoenix, AZ for 39,000 OTD Including the TTL. The car is a Certified Pre Owned BMW with Premium pkg and also Sports pkg but doesn't have Navigation. Let me know if this a good Price for this car.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Good morning kyfdx

The last two letter of BMW FS what does it stand for ??
    I have been trying to decide whether or not to lease or buy .
    Could you tell the do's and the do not's ? What would a good deal be ?
    This be could our first BMW and the first time for leasing.
    We would like to get the 2008 BMW 535xi Touring.
    Thank you
    Lou
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    FS = Financial Services (I believe)
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Hi tay

Thank you.

Lou
    I posted 1500 over invoice. .002 MF 62% residual 12,000yr based on the negotiation with Bellevue Washington dealer. I went in this past Sat. paid 1,000 deposit. Then Sunday night I saw an email said that MF is actually 0.0027 for non BMW lessor. They knew I am not a BMW lessor for a while. I can't image a BMW dealer is as bad as KIA dealer. I filed my complaints to BMW regional office and canceled the deal. What a bad experience. I am going to wait until the lot is filled up with 2008 models, then to buy. Instead of waiting for months.
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    Is this a 528, 535 or 550? The lease rate back in June for 550i was lot lower than 535i. BTW, it's true that BMW gives lower lease rate for returning customer.
    I can feel your pain trying to get deals in WA state. Last June, the best deal I got was $2200 over Edmund's invoice (no other bogus charges what-so-ever though).

At BMW bellevue, try David Ly; he is a straight shooter kinds guy.
    Good luck
    If the guy names Gerth Robert told me up front, I have no problem to have it. But after all things inked and I paid deposit, then made the change, it pissed me off.
  • yaya535iyaya535i Member Posts: 1
    Looking at buying a 2008 535i BMW , WASH res.

What should I pay over invoice on this car can someone help me out.

This is what they are trying to charge me . LOL w/$1500 off.

Looking to lease the car reasonable. With out getting taken.

What should my down be?? if any HELP HELP HELP THANK YOU..

MSRP $49,400
    Options and accessories $9,400
    Destination charge $775
    Total price as built* $59,575

BMW 2008 535i Sedan

Space Gray Metallic

Black w/Leather Upholstery with Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Sport Package

Sport Automatic Transmission w/Shift Paddles

Premium Package

Navigation System

Comfort Access

iPod/USB Adapter

Park Distance Control

Or something very close with the same options or more ?

Willing to get out of the PORTLAND/VANCOUVER area to purchase if I have to ....
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    What is your target price as far as selling price?
    I heard good thing about Delon in Salem OR, but mostly for ED (European Delivery).
  • sg678sg678 Member Posts: 3
    Planning to buy the following. Looking for advice on
    any specific dealer to choose/avoid.

Also, any idea on pricing. What would be the
    optimal price to pay for the following.

Thanks

Packages/Options:
    Sport Package $2,800
    STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission $0
    Premium Package $2,300
    BMW On-Board Navigation System $1,900
    Power Rear Sunshade/Manual Rear Side Window Shades $575
    iPod/USB Adapter $400
    Park Distance Control $700

Accessories:
    None Selected
    MSRP $44,300
    Options and accessories $8,675
    Destination charge $775
    Total price as built* $53,750
  • dkelly10dkelly10 Member Posts: 1
    My dealer is offering me a recently traded in 2007 530 xi, with 11000 miles, CPO for purchase at $44k. I am wondering if this is a good deal. It is a loaded vehicle,with a sticker of 55k.

I would have to sell my 04 x3 that has 44k miles, and hopefully get around $25.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!
  • jamesgjamesg Member Posts: 19
    All,
    i am looking for a 2008 550i sport. does anyone know what the approx current pricing is with respect to invoice and if there are any lease incentives?
    thanks in advance.
    James
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I was just quoted about 3K over invoice. Lease with taxes in payment and drive off of just first payment and dmv of 1160 x36 mos with 15K miles per year. It had Logic 7, sat, Nav, sport package. Not sure if it's a good deal. Car is very quick but the 535 is just about as fast and 7-8K cheaper.
    They claim that they are rare cars and will be much more aggressive on the 535's- about 1,500 over invoice.
    Let me know what you find out there.
    I was just quoted about 3K over invoice. Lease with taxes in payment and drive off of just first payment and dmv of 1160 x36 mos with 15K miles per year. It had Logic 7, sat, Nav, sport package. Not sure if it's a good deal. Car is very quick but the 535 is just about as fast and 7-8K cheaper.
    They claim that they are rare cars and will be much more aggressive on the 535's- about 1,500 over invoice.
    Let me know what you find out there.

I don't know about you, but to me with virtually the same performance, the 535 made more sense and for several thousand less. I'm getting just under 26mpg. in mixed driving, also a bonus. It's almost a no brainer.
    I don't know about you, but to me with virtually the same performance, the 535 made more sense and for several thousand less. I'm getting just under 26mpg. in mixed driving, also a bonus. It's almost a no brainer.

Yes, I tend to agree. If performance is almost equal with better milage, it does make sense.
    Did you get the Xi? What transmission did you get? Do you have the new paddle shift trans?
    What options did you get? Run flats-good or bad?
    Thanks,
  • jamesgjamesg Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the pricing information. I did not have time to test drive one yet, but am hoping to end up in the $1500 over invoice range if i decide to go forward with it. i agree that the 535i makes a lot more financial sense. the only reason that i would go for the 550 is the sport package - i love the look of it. i'll let you know what i find out, probably next week.
    Yes the SP 550i is great looking. But it is very expensive compared to the 535 and the performance is almost identical. It's about 8K more- you could get the aero kit on the 535 but it's 3K (ouch) and since it's added at the port they told me that you can't residualize it, so take the 3K add interest and divide by number of months of lease. But you know what, in the end you have to throw logic out the window when you get a luxury car. Get the one that makes you happy and to hell with anything else. As someone else here said so aptly, if it was only about economics and transportation, we'd all be driving Accords or Camrys. Enjoy!