Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hematochezhematochez Member Posts: 9
    Im getting a 2008 528 Monaco blue with no options for 43,100+TTL

Good deal or can i do better??
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Hematochez, the good deal depends on where you are buying your 5-er. For example, in Miami they go for only a couple of $100's less then MSRP, and mostly towards the ends of months, when dealers have to make their quotas. Which is why I buy/lease my Bimmers elsewhere. Just for your reference, the invoice for your car is $41,530, and there is an opinion that Bimmers can be gotten for about $1,000 above invoice, which may open a possibility for you to try to negotiate additional $500 discount to the already discounted price.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Yes, I tend to agree. If performance is almost equal with better milage, it does make sense.
    Did you get the Xi? What transmission did you get? Do you have the new paddle shift trans?
    What options did you get? Run flats-good or bad?
    Thanks,

I don't have the Xi and have a six speed slush box without paddle shifters. It's a lease and with a lot of options, I had to draw the line somewhere. The only thing I'm sorry I didn't get were the comfort seats. Owning a BMW with it before, I'm one of the relatively few who doesn't like the SP.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    I am working a deal to lease a BMW at "1K over invoice". When I presented the sales person with the Edmunds invoice pricing sheet, he told me that there are "manufacturing fees" for 480 that are not included by Edmunds". Is that true or just a way to make an extra 480?
    I will negotiate it down anyway but just wanted to know what is the total "invoice price" I should be working with.
    Thanks
  • sg678sg678 Member Posts: 3
    Is there a specific reason, u do not like th SP..
    I am in a big dilemma over that myself and would
    be great to hear your opinion.

Thanks
    You have to drive them back to back- sport and non- and then decide what you like. I thought that I didn't want the sport again because of the needed winter tire changes where I live. But after driving both, I liked the way the sport looked and handled so much better that I will put up with a little more expense and time to have the car that will make me happy. I think that ARS alone makes the sport package great and I've heard that the Sport Auto trans is great so that's what I'm going for. I think it best suits the personality of the car. But you have to see what YOU like best. There are no mistakes on owning a 5. You will love it either way.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    There is a $180 training & services fee added to the invoice of every BMW that is not shown on websites like edmunds or kbb. Also depending on where you live (I live in New York), there may be a $300 MACO (advertising fee) assesed to each car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

There is a $180 training & services fee added to the invoice of every BMW that is not shown on websites like edmunds or kbb. Also depending on where you live (I live in New York), there may be a $300 MACO (advertising fee) assesed to each car.

Yes, I live in NY and they are adding the 480.
    Is that something that can get reduced? Do I have to pay for their advertising fee?
    How would you play this?
    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Once you settle on $1000 over invoice, then invoice is what they say it is. Yes, those are their costs, not yours, but you agreed to cover their cost (invoice).

You can tell them that when you agreed, you didn't realize they were going to add more costs over the invoice that is published on-line, and that you'd like a reduction. But, in my experience, Invoice + MACO/training + $1000 is probably as low as they are going to go.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You can tell them that when you agreed, you didn't realize they were going to add more costs over the invoice that is published on-line, and that you'd like a reduction. But, in my experience, Invoice + MACO/training + $1000 is probably as low as they are going to go.

Is that a good deal on a 550i ordered as I want?
    Thanks
    On a $60K+ car? Yeah.. that's a good deal.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Is there a specific reason, u do not like th SP..
    I am in a big dilemma over that myself and would
    be great to hear your opinion.

Thanks

I had the SP on my 540i ('03). I found/find the ride of the SP to be somewhat hard, although not bad. Although I like the SP seats better I do not like the tires as much. With their tires the ride is firmer, noisier, they wear quicker and are more expensive to replace (esp. for a lease). Although some swear by the SP and wouldn't have a BMW without it, I like the non-SP better.

BTW, with the leased 3 Series I just turned in, the original tires were still on it at 36,000 miles and I did not even get "dinged" for their wear.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Yeah, it is a very good deal.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    So topspin are you going to pull the trigger? We are all waiting with great anticipation. Sounds like a great car except for the spt suspension. Unless the increased weight of the 5 calls for a stiffer suspension (I guess unlike the 3 which to me the sprt felt too rough) or the effect of the sprt on the 5 doesnt feel the same as the sprt 3 I might think twice or drive again the non sprt and the sprt 5's back to back (and make sure you drive 550's not a 550 then a 535). The sprt is fun dont get me wrong but after a while (meaning after a few payments!)the extreme communication gets a little tedious. Its like dating someone who talks all the time, at first its novel, but after a while it grates on your nerves. I'll tell you what, why dont you drive the sprt 550 and the non sprt 550 then drive the E550 and try all the different settings of the suspension:luxury,semisport, and sport and see what you like. The E will be quieter also.
    The sprt is fun dont get me wrong but after a while (meaning after a few payments!)the extreme communication gets a little tedious. Its like dating someone who talks all the time, at first its novel, but after a while it grates on your nerves.

Well said.
  • njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    The dealer will have the new 535xi prepped for me for tomorrow. On my old 3 series the car was initialized with personal preferences, like running lights and the blinking clown nose. Will this be true of the 5 (the salesman didn't seem to know)? Are there any decisions to make? Any recommendations?
    The dealer will have the new 535xi prepped for me for tomorrow. On my old 3 series the car was initialized with personal preferences, like running lights and the blinking clown nose. Will this be true of the 5 (the salesman didn't seem to know)? Are there any decisions to make? Any recommendations?

You will be able to program many personal preferences on the (newest generation) iDrive on your new "5'. I assume you did not have iDrive on your old 3 Series? To my knowledge the clown nose as you call it, is not programmable.
  • njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    I'm returning an '04 x3, no iDrive. Before that I had an '01 330. I kind of liked the "clown nose" under the mirror.
    Thanks
  • sg678sg678 Member Posts: 3
    Is it possible to replace the SP run flat tires
    with regular tires once they are worn out..?
    You don't even have to wait until they are worn out.... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm returning an '04 x3, no iDrive. Before that I had an '01 330. I kind of liked the "clown nose" under the mirror.
    Thanks

Don't worry. The clown nose is still there for night time ambient lighting, although more flattened. (I guess it had a Rhinoplasty.)
    Is it possible to replace the SP run flat tires
    with regular tires once they are worn out..?

Sure you can replace them, but I'm not sure if BMWFS accepts non-RF's as replacement if you have a lease.
    Good point.. if you have a leased car with runflats, then it has to have runflats when you return it.

So... replace the runflats right away, keep them in storage, and put them back on, before turning the car in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tocheer4tocheer4 Member Posts: 9
    replace four tires cost around 900 dollars. How long do RF tires last? I am going to have the lease car. Need more advice on this one.

Thanks.
  • gscottnelson1gscottnelson1 Member Posts: 9
    Question for the group -

Any word on when the 5 series gets overhauled? I heard online it is for the 2009 model year, but also heard some for 2010 -

Also looking when the desiels might be coming?
    So topspin are you going to pull the trigger? We are all waiting with great anticipation. Sounds like a great car except for the spt suspension. Unless the increased weight of the 5 calls for a stiffer suspension (I guess unlike the 3 which to me the sprt felt too rough) or the effect of the sprt on the 5 doesn't feel the same as the sprt 3 I might think twice or drive again the non sprt and the sprt 5's back to back (and make sure you drive 550's not a 550 then a 535).

My plan is to pull the trigger tomorrow. I am done test driving (except if they have an active steering car to try). No more paralysis by analysis. As for sport or non sport. I too had a 330 i with sport. It was the most fun I ever had in a car and I never got bored or tired of it. I never regretted getting the sp in that car. In the 550 I find that the SP to be very compliant which is one of the things that sold me on it. I had 0 intention of getting a sport pack and was going to get an xi. Then I drove the 550 and it was over. Believe it or not, the ride felt more comfortable than the non sport xi. I think the non run flats that come with the sport pack 550 vs the run flats on the xi may be the reason. I was amazed at how smooth it was. Plus you don't get the cool aero package, wheels, new sport auto trans with paddles (which is getting great reviews) and the dynamic suspension ARL which is really a great feature. The car stays totally neutral when cornering, no lean, amazing. So I decided that all that "stuff" was more than worth changing out my tires twice per year. Trust me if I thought the ride was too rough I wouldn't be getting it. It was very smooth.
    replace four tires cost around 900 dollars. How long do RF tires last? I am going to have the lease car. Need more advice on this one.

Thanks.

See my post #2332.
    Good luck with your car. Bottom line: you've got to go with what floats YOUR boat.
    Re to #2728 of 2750 Re: Car Man- Lease question [nyccarguy] by topspin628, Sep 27, 2007 (2:01 am), which said:
    Yes, I live in NY and they are adding the 480.
    Is that something that can get reduced? Do I have to pay for their advertising fee?
    How would you play this?
    Thanks

Sorry for replying this late, but I have not read this board for a couple of days, so here it goes. Note that I always buy my Bimmers or recommend my friends to buy their Bimmers in NY, where I/we have never been charged any training nor MACO fees, just plain $1,000 over invoice. Also note that invoice is the same invoice published by Edmunds.
    The reason why we buy our Bimmers in NY is because in Miami we cannot dream getting any Bimmer at "only" $1,000 above invoice, plus they then even super-pad all the fees, tricks, songs and dances. So, it actually pays for us to buy them in NY and ship them to Miami. By the way, this is the case for Bimmers that we lease and that get ordered! So it appears that our NY dealer is pretty OK with us paying $1,000 over invoice, which still appears to me to be pretty well paid, as it appears that they just have to fill up the ordering papers, which I believe cannot take them more than about 1 hour job, including us talking to them and ordering the exact car.
    Can I ask you for the name and location of the dealer.
    Thanks
  • twistedmetaltwistedmetal Member Posts: 15
    RF tires require a specially lipped rim and the suspension on the 3 and some 5's were designed specifically for RF tires. OEM is always the best for safety. Also keep in mind that if you have to use a spare; those aren't supposed to be used more than once so the cost differential of 10 - 15% is overcome by the overall safety. And you might ask the dealership if they have a Road Hazard program. That small investment will overcome the cost of damage to tires/rims or for sure extra tires.
    Any costs that go to the product go to the bottom line. This is with any business. And to try and be creative with your understanding is at best dishonest. I've found that with anything I purchase, typically I get exactly what I pay for. In other words, we reap what we sow!:)
    Rallye BMW in Westbury, NY. E-mail me for details, if you want them.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    2008 535i black/black with bamboo trim ($49,400)
    Destination ($775)
    [ZCW] Cold Weather Package ($750)
    [ZPP] Premium Package ($2,100)
    [ZSP] Sport Package ($2,800)
    [2TB] Sport Automatic ($500)
    [775] Anthracite Headliner ($500)
    [322] Comfort Access ($1,000)
    [508] Park Distance Control ($700)
    [609] Navigation System ($1,900)
    [610] Heads Up Display ($1,200)
    [677] Premium Hi-Fi System ($1,200)
    [655] Satellite Radio ($595)
    [6FL] iPod Adaptor ($400)

MSRP: $63,820
    Paid: $60,435 'out the door', including all fees.

Purchased from Tulley, but received similar pricing from Stratham and two dealers in MA (Natick and Peabody).
    Wow! I personally don't negotiate on these cars and I've owned several. BMW has one of the highest residual values. It doesn't help the residual value of the product posting deep discounts like this on one of the Finest brands in the world.
    Well... the whole purpose of the Prices Paid forums is to post how much you paid...

We have over 460 separate discussions, just to relate that specific information.

If a potential buyer can save $3000 on the front end, I'm pretty sure that will make up for any loss in possible depreciation caused by that same post. I know the pen is mightier than the sword.. but, I'll subscribe to the saying, Knowledge is Power ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• joelk01joelk01 Member Posts: 56
    535xi, steptronic, sports, premium,cold weather, nav, heated rear, rear airbags, IPOD. MSRP $59,560, I got the car at $55,970.
    If you lease a car, bring a calculator with you. After you negotiation the purchase price of the car, and the dealer calculates the lease payments for you, be sure and tie out their numbers with yours. If there any discrepancies, ask the dealer for a clarification. I am stunned at the sleight of hand I experienced in leasing my 535xi. I had dealers negotiating a Cap Cost and stating that they are using the published MF, Residuals, and MSRP for the configuration I wanted, and then coming out with payment numbers that were materially off from what I calculated. I verified that their inputs were the same that I was using. I also verified that the taxes were treated the same. I verified everything. When I questioned them, they refused to go into the math with me. Flat out refused. I asked to speak to the sales manager, and he was no better. It was disgusting. Other dealers were happy to go thru the math and bring in their finance person, if necessary. Do not be timid about checking the math and calling them out.
  • sabiloksabilok Member Posts: 1
    Just curious what others have been quoted recently:

I have been quoted on a 535Xi with NAV, Prem, Cold Weather, Sat Radio the following:
    $57,720 List
    $55,150 Lease Price
    36 Months
    MF of 0.00225
    Residual of .60 or Buyout $32,382
    20,000 miles per year
    $3,103.48 due at sign (1st month, $825 Bank Fee, $900 Sec, $487.60 Lux Tax/NJ DMV 3 years)
    $894 month including NJ 7% tax

Sounds a bit high but I have not dealt with BMW prior to this.
  • tony2002tony2002 Member Posts: 2
    What state did you buy your car from? How much did you pay for out of the door?

Thanks,
    Tony
  • tony2002tony2002 Member Posts: 2
    bdkinnh,

Did you buy your 535i brand new with a few miles only on it or it is one of those car for test drive which got high mileage? It seems you got an extremely good deal(invoice price).
  • kt3655kt3655 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am leasing my first 5 Series and was hoping someone could help me evaluate my deal. I am a current BMW FS client so I am receiving the preferential financing and my sec dep is waiver:

2008 528XI: Cold weather package is only option
    625/mo with 1725 out of pocket which covers my bank fee, first mo and a small cap cost red of around 250 dollars

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
    MSRP?

Lease term and mileage allowance?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kt3655kt3655 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry...MSRB is around 47,000 and the term is 36mo with 12K per year...thanks
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"Did you buy your 535i brand new with a few miles only on it or it is one of those car for test drive which got high mileage? It seems you got an extremely good deal(invoice price)."

Brand new. The car is complete, and as of yesterday is on the way to the boat. I should have it in a few weeks.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I think I got around $1,500 over invoice.
  • psmdpsmd Member Posts: 20
    Host-
    Please post Money factors and Residual values for 3 yr 12k and 15k miles for a 528 xi
    Are there any discounted rates for return customers?

Thanks
    PS
  • goep2003goep2003 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to add premium package, cold weather, parking and rear door airbag. MSRP 56,310, invoice 51,825. Any insights greatly appreciated.

I am in Fairfield CT,
  • jo2jo2 Member Posts: 41
    I am lookiing to lease a BMW 535i with premium,sport, navigation, ipod, and sirius. I think the total car comes out to around 57,500. I am looking to do 24 or 36mos, 12,000 miles, and 2000 drive off. I am in Los Angeles (not sure if location matters) DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THIS LEASE SHOULD BE?
    Just do the math. MF for 36 months and 12K is .0025. Resid is 62%. The info to figure it out is in this thread.
  • vintagecvintagec Member Posts: 1
    Assuming that $57,500 is MSRP and that will be the negotiated price, Money Factor of 0.0025 ,62% residual and 8.25% tax. Approx $800.79.

First time trying and put it in an excel file. Can someone check?