Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gouclagoucla Member Posts: 33
    thanks kyfdx, you're correct.

BTW, when calculating the "profit" I'm willing to give the dealer, shouldnt this also include the $988 "dealer holdback" on the 535i? For example, if I think $1500 is a fair profit for the dealer, then the fair price would be invoice + $512, correct ($988+$512 = $1500 total profit)?
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    I didn't include $625 bank fee, but I did, of course, pay that.
    Otherwise, you're correct. You must check capitalized amount to make sure it has not been padded.
    My guy at Rusnak took an added option and divided that amount by 24 and added the result to each month's payment. He claimed it was a mistake. Obviously, the rality is you take the amount, add it to the capitalized amount, and THEN figure out the capitalized monthly lease amount. After all, you're not buying the car, but leasing it. For example, a $480 invoice amount for an added option would appear, by slight of hand, to yield $20 monthly to the invoice ($480 divided by 24 months); in fact, capitalized at my MF, reflecting refunddable deposits, I think it probably added no more than $6.50 monthly -- or a difference of $13.50 x 24 -- or $325!
    But key is getting true, accurate MF.
    And I did give maximum number of multiple deposits.
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Looking for some quick advice. I'm going into buy a 550i this weekend that pretty much has every option and package. I don't recall the MSRP off hand but wanted to know an easy answer. I KNOW I will have to order this car so what can I expect for a good deal. I'm also trading in a '06 650i that my spoiled wife wants to change color so I'll also be buying a 2008 650i cab with minimal options ~ 82K.

Am I right in thinking that two deals at once will get me a better deal than just one at a time? I know what I can get the 650i cab for but wanted an HONEST or first hand experience on what I can get this car for.

Thanks for any help or suggestions or even better - LEADS!!!;) You can reach me at fo_mcgehee@yahoo dot com if you want to tell me something that violates board rules.
  • lsleeleelsleelee Member Posts: 14
    Just leased a 535i. 36month / 10,000 mile

MSRP $67,000
    Price $63,280.80 (2% over invoice)
    63% Residual
    $725 Acquisition
    0.00161 MF (0.0002 over base minus 0.00049 for multiple security deposits)
    $795/month

Could have gotten a better deal but I decided to pay a premium to buy local and get an almost immediate production slot.

Platinum Grey Ext.
    Beige Nasca Leather
    Light Poplar Trim
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Sport Automatic
    Comfort Access
    Power Rear Sunshade
    Front Ventilated Seats
    Fold Down Rear Seats
    Heated Rear Seats
    Park Distance Control
    Navigation System
    Head-up Display
    Logic7 Surround Sound
    iPod Adapter
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    wow.....pretty loaded and congrats! I love the ipod adapter. it is the greatest!
  • scott6113scott6113 Member Posts: 18
    I test drove a bronze metallic 2008 535xi with a couple of options: nav, premium, park assist. Sticker was 58k. Inside was cream leather with light poplar.

It has 5300 miles. It is at a chevy dealer. They put it on cars.com for 50k. I offered 43,750. They countered today at 49k.

The salespeople are bullcrap scumbags but aren't they all? It has been up on cars.com for more than a month. They claimed on Saturday that it would be auctioned off on Monday (the dealer also owns a wholesale auction lot). But lo and behold! It's still around! Lying scum. :mad:

Nice car but the angels didn't sing. I have an AWD turbo now, but it's 10 years old so I wanted something newer. Wife likes the colors. Unusual.

I just said thanks for the drop. See ya at the end of the month (when you're more tractable).

Am I really too low? In this economy?
    Does anybody know the difference between the IPOD and USB adapter option for $400 vs the IPOD interface adapter under as an accessory for $305. I'm deciding which one to get on my new ordered 550.

Thanks as usual for any guidance!
  • bosebose Member Posts: 8
    BMW 535xi

Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Navigation System
    Sirrus
    iPod and USB adaptor
    Parktronic

MSRP $58,820
    Price $56,400
    Acquisition Fee $625
    Nothing down - no cap cost reduction
    Nothing in the dealer add-on column - <$100 for documentation and fees
    12,000 miles per year
    30 months
    Money Factor 0.00190
    Residual 69%
    $711 per month - not including tax

Can't wait!

Thanks to all those in this forum that share information. Tremendously useful.
    $43 seems a bit low to me. I agree that wtih 5300 miles it is used. what is the history on the car? what happened? I would aim for 45-46. that is still a hefty discount. compare that to what it would cost you to get the same equipped car brandy new. I have a 528xi in that same color combination with similar options and got i for $50K in February.......MSRP was $53425......
    My salesman indicated that if your ordered a 550 with the sports package - it comes with the M aerodynamic kit installed. However the GM, disagreed. They sat there and argued in front of me (politely of course) but could not come to a decision.

Can anybody weigh in on this?
  • car_rmcar_rm Member Posts: 47
    I had the same question when configuring my 535i order. It was explained to me that the one found in the accessory options is the dealer installed version. The total cost to have it installed at the dealership (parts and labor) typically run from $500-700 depending on the dealership. My wife just took delivery of a 328i that had all the options she wanted except the iPod/USB adapter. Dealer initially wanted $650 to install but that was negotiated down as part of the deal.
    I haven't run Carfax on it. I guess I better. He dropped to 49 even, then 48083 claiming that was his cost. I countered with 44,500 and heard nothing. Car is still on the market.

He claimed he was taking it to auction last Sunday and it would sell for sure.

He claimed that a family traded it for an SUV because it wasn't big enough. That's quite a leap: BMW for Chevy SUV?

I agree it's low, but I was hoping to pick up a distress sale with the economy tanking. It has been on the market at least 5 weeks. They had to jump it to get it started. They had taken it off the showroom and admit they don't get floor traffic for the car since the dealership is in a lower class area. They sell chevy/kias and are in an old shopping center.

Hard-nosed sales people, full of it. We've been at it for a week. I think I'll revisit it at the end of the month when they might be more tractable.

Almost everyone goes for black in a BMW around here. Maybe dark grey or blue, but this beige is never seen (well maybe once) I think a guy's car in a girl's color doesn't help.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Update. Carfax reports car was bought 8/07 in Maine. Private owner. That's it. One owner since new.
    Car is in a chevy dealer in MA, two hours and 110 miles away.

Car didn't have floor mats. GPS asked for the DVD.

I have a feeling that keyless entry drains the battery.

And, the dealership's owner also conducts the local auto auction.

So, repossession that was auctioned off?

Their story that a family wanted more room so they traded the car doesn't hold up. Why then the distance?

Carfax doesn't have a record of the current owner, which is the chevy dealer.

If it sells this weekend there are other fish in the sea.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Ipod Adapter - be sure you understand the difference. the 5-series comes STANDARD with a port in the center console to plug in your ipod and play it...you have to control it from the ipod.

For $500 or whatever, you get the joy of controlling it from the idrive. YOU decide if $500 is worth that benefit when you can play it regardless. I just use shuffle and let it ride.
    something is fishy about the who 1 owner and the distrance. Seemed like the original owner was trying to ditch it and didn't do that locally. I agree with you regarding going trade to a Chevy something. Smells funny and perhaps this is a sign you should move on.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Going back at the end of the month if it is still there is a good idea.
  • mikesmithtx644mikesmithtx644 Member Posts: 13
    I have been going between an M35 Infiniti and a 528i. BMW is offering me $650/mo for 36 months with absolutely nothing out of pocket on a 2008 528i with premium, heated seats, xenon lights, ipod adapter, and the brown leather seats. This is for a demo mode with 9k mile on it. this seems like a great deal to me what do you all think. I certainly have not been able to replicate the 69% residual and the interest rate mentioned in an earlier post. I am told that these 'deals' can vary regionally. Either way, this seems like it is a good deal. am I crazy? The purchase price ends up being $42-$43k - not sure yet since I have not sat down with them. I have been dealing directly with the finance manager.

I get the color and the interior I desire, too. I am just looking to bridge the gap between my current car being up and the new design coming out in 2010. ( I don't want the first year)

Any thoughts on this deal from the board?
  • seabassttuseabassttu Member Posts: 7
    Hello all, need some help on the following for a 528i in Charlotte, NC. Black 528i, premium package with black leather, heated seats, iPod and xenon.

MSRP 49,075
    Selling price of 47.075
    36 month lease with 10K a year
    $1,116 down (includes first payment)
    $684 a month.

This seems really high to me - rookie here and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks.
    I am working on a car with an MSRP of $50,075, (Monaco Blue, Brn leather, xenon, ipod, comfort access, heated seats, premium package) selling at $42-$43k (deal not complete yet) 30 to 36mo. lease (monthly cost is the same) with 12k miles
    $0 down - nothing out of pocket, but may have to make first payment
    Demo with 9k miles on it for $650/mo. Higher mileage than I prefer, but as long as it is in top shape I don't mind since it will be under warranty for as long as I have possession of it.

I would say you're probably getting a pretty good deal. I definately don't think you're getting 'ripped of.'
  • capsfancapsfan Member Posts: 5
    Just Curious -

I am looking at a similar car as well about $50K MSRP with 13K miles. Wondering what argument or tactic you took with the dealer to get the cost of the car to the $42-43K range?
    Well, I just took an approach of honesty. I told them that I had a deal on an Infiniti M35 and I needed to make a decision by this weekend and that I preferred to have another BMW ( I currently have a 2002 530i - not financed through BMW). I said I just wanted to lease now because I want to buy a new car when the new model 5 series comes out. Again, just the truth.

I used the terms I saw on this board (thank you to all who contribute to this board) and ran my own calculations and thought I had a chance at hitting the $650/mo or less I needed. I told my sales guy I can afford $650/mo (nothing out of pocket - except maybe the first payment) and said that it was simply a 'yes or no' answer and they just needed to tell me 'yes' or 'no.' Real simple. No games. I told this to my sales guy and he had his finance manager call me. After my phone call with the finance manager where I laid it all out he said he would speak with the sales manager and get back to me. It was their creative idea to use the demo car as an option.

Assuming the car checks out this week, BMW will have a sale. The sales guy never offered this as an option, so if I wasn't stubborn this deal would never have happened.

One tact may be to go straight to the Finance manager and lay it out. My conversation with him was a breath of fresh air. No stupid comments like 'put $3600 down and I can lower your payments by $100/mo.'

I did learn that BMW actually pays the dealership for the use of the Demo's, so even with a below invoice deal, the dealership is still in the money.

I wonder how many car sales a dealer actually looses because of their sales team?

Hope this helps....
  • ctshorsectshorse Member Posts: 13
    NEVER EVER put money down on a lease. It's just irresponsible. In your case, get the dealer to issue you a check for the $4K. This is what I did when I got my first BMW and had to get rid of a Nissan 300Z. If you signed the papers, CALL THEM Monday and demand a revised contract with the $4K back to you. They may bump the MF a little but still, you keep the cash. If the car is stolen ot totaled you will lose that $4K. My accountant screamed at me the day after I did the deal. Then he made me correct it. Good luck.
    I drove home my new BMW 528i today (Monaco Blue, Brown Leather, Xenon, Heated front seats, iPod, comfort Access, Premium Package). MSRP - $50,075

To be fair I bought a demo/loaner car with 9,100 miles on it (but it will be under warranty for as long as I have it), but here is the deal.

Term: 36 Months
    Type: Lease
    Mileage/yr: 12,000
    Cap Cost: $45,524.15 (my only out of pocket was the first payment. Acquisition fee was $825, Tax was 2618.52, title $184.30, price of vehicle $41,896.33)
    residual value: $29,669.50 ( I thinks this works out to about 65%)
    depreciation: $15,864.55
    rent charge: $6632.03
    total of base monthly payments: $22,486.68
    Monthly lease payment: $624.63

There are no other fees detailed except the $350 disposition fee at the end of the term.

I do not know what the money factor is as this is not called out on the paperwork. I am not quite sure how to figure this out.

Thanks to all who have posted here. I wouldn't be driving this 528i with our all of the good info posted here. I hope this will help others.

What do you all think of this deal? My next best deal for a similar car was $752/mo.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    seems like an OK deal if are satisfied leasing a used car (demo are used...they are just allowed to sell them as untitled new).

I got a 528i back in December, 2 yrs, 10k miles/year. $52k msrp....around $48k price if I recall. $1800 total down (doc fee, acq fee, a small cap cost reduction..about $400, long story). $600/month including 7% sales tax.
  • gjonesmigjonesmi Member Posts: 4
    If you purchase you BMW at a dealer that is not local, does the local dealer have a responsibility to service your car and provide a loaner.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,827
    Any BMW dealer will be glad to do service and warranty work on your car..

Loaners will vary by dealer.. Given enough notice, my local dealer will provide a BMW loaner to any service customer, regardless of where they purchased their car.. Some dealers only give loaners to their own sales customers.

BMW NA has no policy or requirement for loaners. It is solely at each individual dealer's discretion.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    BMW 550 with the sport package has M-aero package standard. Check BMWUSA.COM if in doubt.
  • blksapwit19blksapwit19 Member Posts: 2
    Im in the market for a 5 series im lookin at two vehicles a 04 530i with 36000 mil on it or a 05 525i with 28000 mil on it same packages cold weath preamium im almost getting the same deal 26500 for the 525 and 27000 for the 530 and suggestions on this decision?????
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Can I just have a little experience about the 5 series

How does it compare to lexus cars

Hows the road feel?

Difficult to use electronics?

Reliability?
    I drove a 2003 BMW 530 for 2 years. Put $45K miles on it in that time. Great car and my first BMW. Decided that the high mileage was going to cause me to be out of warranty in short order and since my commute changed, decided to instead get a Lexus 330. Nice car, but like a sofa. No real fun driving. Great for long trips. Won't be passing folks or making quick maneuvers. Since my lease was nearly up, started looking at 5 series again. No comparision at all with driving dynamics, road feels, power, etc. Cabin isn't as fancy as Lexus, but I like the spartan look and I drive makes things fun. Don't believe the critics that say it is horrible. It is not the best interface, but hardly the worst. I learned how to use it in 10 minutes and it allows all the customization for radio, climite control and other things you could possibly want. I love especially the IPOD interface.....cool.

As for reliability, I had no issues on the 03 5 series and don't expect any on this car also, not until possibly 75k miles, but it's a lease, so at 36K I will be walking away to another BMW.

;)
  • supershopper1supershopper1 Member Posts: 7
    I've driven Lexus GS's for 5 years and just changed over to a brand new 535i. The lexus was comfortable and powerful and the engine bulletproof. Factory service is VERY expensive, $130 oil changes alone.

The BMW, though, is much more exciting and responsive. If you consider yourself a car person and enjoy punching off the line or zipping through and around traffic, go for the BMW.

Personally, I'm more comfortable with a lease on a bimmer, and don't want to have the car out of warranty.
  • rudorrudor Member Posts: 1
    You can protect yourself from such a potential loss by getting full replacement insurance policy, like Allstate Platinum. In that case, if the car is totalled, you get a brand new car and you continue with the lease as if nothing happened - albeit with a new car.

The increased premium is worth it. Note that this replacement coverage only applies for the first 2 years, but your down payment will be absorbed by then anyway.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Given that example, it's even worse. The 4k is still gone. Yes you get a new car with a new lease payment but no one writes you a check for the 4k you prepaid.

With a lease, it's not a down payment, it's a prepayment.

Plus that's nothing but a profit center for insurance companies as a lease with BMWFS includes GAP insurance.
    please ask the bank and BMW FS what happens in case of total loss.
    Work through an example like this one. You walk away with a $50K car and a 36 mos $700 payment. 6 months later you have a 100% loss. The mob puts 2 snitch in the trunk, takes it to one of their salvage yards and compacts the car into a 4x4 block and dumps it in the hudson. You are still on the hook for 30 months of payments plus the contracted value of the car at the end of the lease LESS what you put down for cap reduction. Your insurance company will make payments based on the value of the car at time of loss. This amount more than likely will be less than your lease payments due plus the end of lease car value. There would be a GAP.

The Bank Fee you pay is intended to cover the GAP between what your insurance pays and what BMW's loss is. Your loss is not insured under GAP. Buying extra insurance from your agent to cover your cap reduction loss is not wise. Instead, you should put that money into an account designated to pay the lease. Spread it out over the lease life yourself giving you the effective lower payment you desire. This way, if there is a 100% loss, you would still have money in the bank and your GAP would be covered.
  • calvin540icalvin540i Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1994 BMW with no manual. Where is the best place to purchase one. Also, what are the "A" and "M" for in regards to the transmission.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,827
    Hi calvin540i..

Since this discussion is focused on pricing, you might have more luck in one of our other 5-series discussions..

You can find a list of them here: BMW 5-Series

Good luck! If you need direction to a specific discussion, just ask!

kyfdx
    Host - Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• murphybimmermurphybimmer Member Posts: 4
    Hello
    I am trying to order 535 with following options in DFW(incl surrounding area). Any input on the deal is appreciated:

3.0-liter, turbocharged inline 6-cylinder engine

Base MSRP $49,400

Black Sapphire Metallic $0

Natural Brown Dakota Leather $0

Light Poplar wood trim $0

Cold Weather Package $750

Premium Package $2,100

STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $0

Navigation system $1,900

iPod and USB adapter $400

Park Distance Control $700

Rear side-impact airbags $385

Destination & Handling: $775

Total MSRP as Built $56,410

discount -$2,000

Total $54,410

+TT&L
    This is 2000 over the invoice incl options. Is this a good deal? Do you think I can do better.
    The dealership just called that they will do 53000 + TTL. 600 over Invoice. Seems good to me. I get it first week of July. What do you guys think?
  • netman710netman710 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote for 535xi in NJ area for 53000 + TTL, similar equipment except this had rear fold-down seats and no PDC.

Since this was for 535xi, (MSRP 58,000), I think you still have some room to go lower. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but compared a few dealers, so think this is close to bottom.

Hope this helps :)
    BAD DEAL. I'm on the east cost outside philly. In stock cars are going for a discount off msrp of $4k EASY. I have a deal on the table right now for a $60,400K msrp at $52,500 SP. It's in stock. I tried to find a dealer saturday who might match the deal but a different color. None of them had a car close the $60K. But all of them were happy to do a deal on a less equipped car with $4k off of msrp. OVER THE PHONE. Find what you want in stock for the best deal. You maynot be able to find a few of those options in-stock like rear bags and parking distance control but I can't imagine why you'd want them anyway. Why not put that money into an option you's use everyday. Like a better stereo.
    I bet my dealer would beat that deal. i tried a few NJ dealers and most of them were way higher.
    I have finally sealed the deal on a new 535i. Black Sapphire with Brown Interior

Prem/Cold/Sports/Nav/iPod/HD-Radio/Sat

MSRP 60570

- 5500 off

+ TTL
    + GAP(700)

= 58700
  • sdg380sdg380 Member Posts: 109
    BMLexus, don't know if you're still looking for feedback, I'm driving an '02 530, non-sport with stick, had an '91 525 before that, my wife has an '03 Lexus ES330.

My short answer is: The Lexus is pleasure to ride in, the BMW is a pleasure to drive.

The 530 has been very reliable, although some issues with the electrical gremlins, as in my '91, clearly not up to the standards of the Japanese brands, IMO. Re "ease of use" of electronics, the old controls were fine, I've had a 530 loaner with iDrive and did not find it that daunting, but there's a reason it is universally panned, it's just not as easy to use as it should be.

So does this overcome the above generalization?--Not really for me, I'm willing to put up with quite a bit for the pleasure of the BWW chassis, drive train, and driving dynamics.

I haven't driven a Lexux GS series (rear drive), so maybe that's going to provide a more satisfying driving experience than my wife's ES, but Lexus has not tried to make a name for itself as the "ultimate driving machine", so I'm not sure a GS would be that much different.

I think it really comes down to priorities and preferences, the BMW's have really captured a "feel" that few have duplicated, and like many others, I'm willing to put up with other shortcomings to enjoy this aspect of a BMW. But Lexus makes fine cars, as do others, and a Lexus holds its value (as does a BMW) and is likely to be very reliable, so I think you've got to do your homework with some seat time before you plunk down $50K+.
    what are the remaining terms?
    lease pmts, money down?
    $700 for gap insurance or did you mean security deposit? GAP should be inlcuded and not extra.
    GAP is not included. It's part of the Bank Fee you pay at closing. The only out-of-pocket you should pay when you sign the lease is 1'st month + bank fee + tags. GAP is in the bank fee. Anything else you put down is toward cap reduction cost and will only lower your lease payment. If you have a total loss, your cap reduction is not covered but your insurance or the gap. Keep that in mind.
  • netman710netman710 Member Posts: 3
    Hi ctshorse,

Looks like your dealer in PA is a lot more flexible on price than NJ dealers. Can you send me info on your dealer, I am not that far from Philly area.

much appreciated.

thanks,
    Herb at bmw of the main line is your guy. Bala Cynwyd PA. He's on vacation until next week,
    Just got word that my new 550 was delivered today and I get to pick it up tomorrow. I got nearly every option including the M5 aerodynamic pkg which is pretty sweet looking. They're also adding the little rear lip spoiler in the morning. I was going to buy it but then got to thinking that they;ll probably come out with some super engine that makes the 550 archaic and have the prices dive so I've considered the idea of leasing - does this make any sense.

AND....a Ferrari 328 GTB just happened to pop up and I'm getting a PPI on it tomorrow. If it's as good as they claim it be, I'll soon have the GTS and GTB matching side by side in my garage ;)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I was going to buy it but then got to thinking that they;ll probably come out with some super engine that makes the 550 archaic and have the prices dive so I've considered the idea of leasing - does this make any sense.

Although I have no new information to offer, I don't doubt that you have a point. I would agree with a lease if it's a good deal. Good luck with the car.
  • mango39mango39 Member Posts: 10
    Model 0856 528i USD 44,300.00
    Color 475 Black Sapphire Metallic N/C
    Upholstery LCSW Black Dakota Leather N/C
    Options ZPP Premium Package 2,300.00
    319 Universal Garage Door Opener N/C
    430 Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors N/C
    431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror N/C
    563 Ambient light package N/C
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission N/C
    488 Lumbar support N/C
    494 Heated front seats 500.00
    522 Xenon headlights 800.00
    524 Adaptive light control N/C
    655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription 595.00
    Net Total 48,495.00
    Destination Charge 775.00
    Gas Guzzler Tax N/C
    Total Suggested Price 49,270.00

What would be the least offer that I can give on this car in Texas?