Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    I went ahead and just bought it. I've already delved into the wallet-emptying world of mods so I'd rather I'd do it on a car I own than am just leasing.
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    It really depends on where in TX and how many surrounding dealers there are. If you're like me in Midland with the next closest dealer hours away, you're SOL ;)
  • Options
    dwf1dwf1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of shopping for a 528i (Premium Package and manual transmission). BMW is currently offering the Premium Package at no cost on 2008 models. The local dealer has discounted the price of the car by this amount. Is this as good of deal as I'm going to get or should I continue shopping?
  • Options
    kojiaokojiao Member Posts: 15
    Going to the dealer tomorrow. Been reading these forums for about 2 months and ready to take the dive!

Going to lease the car, but I don't think that it makes a difference, you can still bargain for the price of the car (after reading the forums).

So here is my question. With the Trunk money offer for the premium package and how bad the economy is going and since dealerships have been losing business the past few months, should I go for the throat and offer the following. (going to be general and not put up numbers, easier if it's a yes, no response!)

The 535i + all the options I want (prem, sport, etc) at invoice pricing - $2500 (trunk money for the premium package) and work my way up from there?

And also, for a 3 yr, 10K mile is the MF still 0.0020 and residual 58%?

I live in So Cal also.

So my friends, think that my offer is too unreasonable?

And I want to thank everyone again for posting your deals, it's really helped me out and informed me on how a REAL MAN should negotiate for a BMW. I feel much more confident about going tomorrow to the dealer with the knowledge I have...I'm going to be ready for a hopefully GREAT deal!
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    kojiao: You can try for your deal and always work up from there. You have nothing to lose.

Even though the economy now is poor, keep in mind the shrinking value of the dollar on a European car.
  • Options
    Carnaught - Thanks for the confirmation.

Have a friend get the 535i two weeks ago for $1500 under the invoice price. But going to double check to see if they are actually telling me the truth or not (people tend to exaggerate their "great buys") - The dealer was in Long Beach, FYI.

Hopefully by the end of this month, I can report something good for everyone!
  • Options
    Ok, just finished up on this deal.

Invoice pricing:

535i - $45,450
    Prem - $2,555
    Sport - $1,910
    Ipod - $365
    Nav - $1,730
    Comfort $910
    Destination - $825
    Training fee - $180
    MACO - $245

Invoice total - $54,170 + $45 Doc fees = $54,215

Got 1K under invoice .

Price: $53,215

Then Drive off fees:

1st month $720.01
    $410 TTL
    $825 Acquis
    $33.23 - Cap cost reduction --> don't ask why, I put a Down payment of $33.23!
    $2.58 - Sales tax on cap cost reduction
    $7.00 - CA Tire Fee
    $63.94 - Tax on bank fee (asked them about it, they didn't know how to answer, left it in)
    ===========
    $2061.76 Out the door fees

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adjust cap cost - $53,215.00 - $33.29 (cap reduction) = $53,181.77 (net cap cost)
    Residual 58% - $33,857.50 - 10K miles/yr
    Money factor - .00151 (for some reason why, they took 1 SD + 7MSD to get the full
    .00049 MF reduction) So $6000 ($750 per MSD x8) was my
    SD!

I wanted to point out that the $6,000 that I put down in SD will save me over $1500 over the lifetime of the lease. So you are basically getting 25% back on your 6K investment that you will GET BACK!!(provided you don't wreck the car). So MSD > Cap reduction deposits!

You guys can do the math from here but just in case you're lazy:

Depreciation = $536.80
    Finance Fee = $131.42
    Sales tax (7.75%) = $51.79

36mo/10K miles - $720.01

~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall a fun experience, I'm sure that I could've done better, but the dealership is close to home and they give you a BMW loaner when you turn it in for your free service...and other nice things (take you to the airport, free car wash, etc)

The salesman is nice too, very patient, I asked for 2K under invoice, but then realized the trunk money was $1,910, so I just said we'll split it, I take 1K and they take $910. (But I'm sure that people will point out the other places I got ripped off!)

Anyways, that's what I got! Did I do ok on my first "Carspace.com educated" deal?

Fun car - pushed it on the freeway...whee!

You all have been great with my education on leasing!
  • Options
    car_rmcar_rm Member Posts: 47
    Congrats on the new car.

To answer your question about the MSD, if you are a new BMW leasee, if you had not given a security deposit, they would have increased the money factor so that depost negated that increase. Did notice that they did mark up the aquistion fee by the $200 max allowed but as you were able to bring in the premium package money availabile to the dealer, it looks very reasonable. More improtantly, are you happy?
  • Options
    Car_RM - Yes I'm happy with the deal, not the bestest deal out there but I still think that I did ok, the lease payments were about what I expected. +- 20 bucks

I talked to him about the acq fee, but the saleman was like "come on"....

I think that there were two places I could've pushed, but didn't

1) On the invoice - The $245 MACO fee
    2) The $825 acq fee - The $200 extra that you mentioned

I think that the dealer made up for the 1000 off invoice there, so if I really was being a bad egg about it, I think that I could've gotten another $445 off the car but I was happy with the deal as is.

The $445 would've saved me about 15 bucks a month, I'll be meaner on the next lease.... :blush:
  • Options
    smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    let me understand this...the price was $1k under invoice, however BMW has a free premium package ($1910) currently, so basically the dealer sold it for $910 OVER invoice, correct?
  • Options
    Kojiao,

The MACO is something that they do need to charge but does not show on invoice. What I have heard/read on this one is that if you are not dealing with a number over invoice, it gets buried into the final number. My deal for an upcoming ED is $1200 over invoice, but for ED the training and MACO are taken out of the picture but there are no additional dealer incentives that can be applied. Fortunately I am locked into the pre-increase prices as well as having been able to lock in the April MF and residual for 90 days as a returning lessee.

What color?

Car-rm
  • Options
    Car_RM - Black Sapphire Metallic
    Interior was cream beige

Wanted to try something different this time. Usually get black/grey...but I like the contrast and the light wood trim makes it look fancy-like.
  • Options
    Smithsonga - There is Trunk money effective until 6/30/08 where each 535i the dealership sells, they receive $1,910.

So what I did is get the invoice pricing for the car/options - got invoice pricing from bimmerworld forums.

I double checked the dealer's invoice pricing with the bimmerworld - was the same.

So I considered the $47,225 invoice for the car. (all the prices were confirmed as invoice except for the $245 MACO, I think you can take the MACO fee out, I didn't push for it)

Then I asked for $1,000 under the invoice pricing, so my agreed total was $37,225
    for the car, before TTL + Security desposits, etc.

Hope that clarifies it for you.
  • Options
    Kojiao,

We just got a black sapphire metallic/black interior 328i for my wife. Looks very metallic when clean and closer to jet black when dirty. My 535 will be platinum gray/black, premium, sport, nav, and iPod. Currently driving a 2005 530i which has been the best car I have had.

car-rm
  • Options
    Car_RM - Very nice and ED too! Doesn't hurt to fly to pick up the car and drive as fast as you want on the autobahn!

I saw the plat/black last also....car is nice, lean-mean, dark driving machine.

The car is rockin....but considering that my last car was a '99 ML320 - I think ANY sedan is a godsend! :P
  • Options
    tjk1tjk1 Member Posts: 2
    Is this a good deal on this lease on 528xi?

Design/MSRP
    Description MSRP

USD 46,800.00
    Monaco Blue Metallic
    Cream Beige Dakota Leather N/C
    Cold Weather Package 750.00
    Heater Rear Seats 350.00
    Options Premium Package 2,400.00
    Universal Garage Door Opener N/C
    Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors N/C
    Auto-dimming rearview mirror N/C
    Ambient light package N/C
    STEPTRONIC automatic transmission N/C
    Lumbar support N/C
    Xenon headlights 800.00
    Navigation System 1,900.00
    Adaptive light control N/C

Net Total 53,000.00
    Destination Charge 825.00
    Gas Guzzler Tax N/C
    Total Suggested Price 53,825.00

Sale Price : $50,585.00

Down: $2000K 15000K Miles for 39 Months
    with 58% residual and 0.00200 MF

Lease $689.25, is this a good deal?
  • Options
    smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Kojiao

Thanks, that clarifies. You got $1k under invoice for the car, the dealer got paid $910+maco etc over invoice. (BMW paid the $1910 difference).

Good deal for both. Wonder if anyone has gotten true invoice minus the $1910 trunk money.
  • Options
    smithsonga - If the dealer is desperate enough to release the inventory, could be possible. And I hope that they can post their experience here too!

But if you really want the best deal possible, you gotta know where they are adding the "extra" fees.

I studied these forums for a week before I went in and I did remember the acquisition fee being in the range of 625-825, but wasn't confident enough to bargain for it. But I was confident enough to rebuff the dealer on a few things:

1) the buy rate for the residual
    2) invoice pricing for the 535i
    3) how much MF is reduced with each Multiple Security Deposit
    4) double checking the lease payments by doing the lease formula by hand

Just knowing this info empowers the seller and puts the dealer at unease and can ensure for a deal that you can live with.

Anyways, I'm happy with the deal I got and the 535i is GREAT. I test drove both, but I gotta say, the 300hp twin turbo that the 535i has......once you drive it...you want it!
  • Options
    tollfreeproductollfreeproduc Member Posts: 4
    I am going to lease a 08 535i space gray, prem pkg, cold w pkg, parking sensors option 2 year lease $5000 down monthly payment is $584 bucks.

The out the door price was $49,950.
  • Options
    ceyc_01ceyc_01 Member Posts: 3
    I live in S. Cal and got quote on 2008 535i
    Index Description MSRP
    Base Price $49,800.00
    0205 STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission 0.00
    OZPP Premium Package 2,200.00
    0609 Navi9aUon System 1,900.00
    O6FL iPod and USBAdapte 400.00
    Destination and Handling 825.00
    TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $55,125.00
    SELLING PRICE $49,100.00

$6025 off MRSP.
  • Options
    mango39mango39 Member Posts: 10
    I am thinking about buying a used 2008 528i with the following options:

Premium Package
    Navigation
    Heated Seats
    Xenon Headlights

Its got around 8500K miles with single owner. What would be the price that I should pay? Asking price is around 41K+tax+ttl, any suggestion on the price that I should pay?
  • Options
    ceyc_01ceyc_01 Member Posts: 3
    You can get new 528i for around 44K with options you listed. Currently dealers in Southern Cal are taking off around 4.5K to 6K from MRSP which well below invoice. I think 41K is high for used 528i.

Email you BMW dealers to get cost for new.
  • Options
    teethstraightteethstraight Member Posts: 15
    Wow, that's good. I live in IL, I am not sure if we can get a deal like that.
    I'd like the deep sea blue color, I called a few dealers and they don't have it.
  • Options
    Just bought the car instead of leasing
    2008 535i
    Saphire Black, premium, cold weather, logic 7, ipod, real fold down.
    Had 299miles on it
    I paid $47200, for the car.
    out the door price $49000 with tax. Really came out the door after financing $50100 bucks.

So I think I got a good deal, It was like close to $8000 off msrp
    I am happy ~ Will love my new ride
  • Options
    ed94080ed94080 Member Posts: 3
    tollfree,

that's a great deal.

The best part of it is the tax, title and license which works out to be less than 4% of the purchase price. I assume you must have traded in a car.

Unfortunately I'm a california so my tax rate is 8.25%, plus I get taxed on the entire new purchase amount instead of the difference between the new car purchase price and my trade, etc. It's the high transaction costs that make it more difficult to switch cars. Definitely good deals out there but every time I switch cars it's ~$5K in just taxes. That's probably why I've been driving my Mercedes AMG for 7 years and still on the sidelines... but very close to pulling the trigger...
  • Options
    Hi Ed
    I did not trade in a vehicle. I am currently leasing 06 530i due at the end of the month, still have like 200 miles left. This qualified me for .09% rate. Va tax is 3% came out to be less than $1800.

the new shipment 535i has increased in price, euro/dollar, gas increase, etc. So I searched for 535i with non sport package thats been sitting on the dealerships for a bit around my area and tried to make deals and ended up with this.
    I am very pleased with this decision. Back in the day I used to own w210 E55 and I like the new 535i much better.
  • Options
    I am going to buy a 528xi, I need following options:
    premium pkg
    cold weather pkg,
    ipod and USB
    Xenon headlights ....
    Navigation system

The total MRSP would be $53,875. What's the invoice price? I really have no idea how much I should pay. Can I get the car by $8000 off he MRSP like tollfree did?
  • Options
    seabassttuseabassttu Member Posts: 7
    I really need some help with some pricing on a 36 month / 10K year lease; wanted to take advantage of the recent rate drop from .0022 to .0018 and residual of 58%.

Black / Black
    Premium Package
    Automatic
    Heated Seats
    Xenon
    Ipod

MSRP – 49,525
    Invoice – 46,000
    Selling – 45,110

Upfront $1,500 - includes all fees and fun stuff
    Monthly payment is $619.00 (includes NC taxes)

From my understanding, the rate dropped from .0022 to .0018 with an additional .0004 reduction if you currently own BMW (which we do) thus bringing the rate to .0014 – right? I have a feeling my CA is not being honest with me (he has sold three other BMW to us – so I have a trust factor with him).

First, is the 45,110 a fair price, it does not seem the PP option credit was applied?

This is what he said about the rate:

The difference in the .00180 verses the .00140 is… You qualify for the .00180 rate by having a BMW in the household, the .00140 rate is if you currently have a BMW with BMW Financial Services, this allows you to get the rate down more…

I have a feeling I am not be dealt with honestly.

PLEASE ADVISE…
  • Options
    mirxmirx Member Posts: 3
    Here is the quote

MSRP 51,975
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter
    Xenon Head lights
    647.66 + 6% sales tax in Michigan
    first month payment $1500
    0 Down
    I have not owned or leased a BMW before

Anyone have any idea if this lease price is good? If so how much is the dealer really making. I heard that the premium package is free of cost after a $2150 rebate.

Please help, I am planning to sign the lease tomorrow.
  • Options
    I heard someone got $8000 off MSRP on this thread.
  • Options
    gellesgelles Member Posts: 3
    Hi! Am looking for some help-just bought a used 2001 540i with 35k miles, pristine condition, 6 speed. Never posted a message on a site like this before-looking for some driving advice and mechanical advice. Thanks!
  • Options
    gellesgelles Member Posts: 3
    Hi! Am looking for some help-just bought a used 2001 540i with 35k miles, pristine condition, 6 speed. Never owned a BMW of any kind. Never posted a message on a site like this before-looking for some driving advice and mechanical advice. Thanks
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,256
    Hi gelles,

Welcome to the forums!

We have a whole list of 5-series discussions.

You might find this one, or this one interesting..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    oceanbluelaoceanbluela Member Posts: 6
    I live in L.A. and got this offer from a dealer for a new 528 with premium, navigation, and ipod options: $45,111 incl. destination (tax & tag extra). The MSRP is: 50,125. That is a savings of $4937 off MSRP. The invoice (reflecting free premium pkg) is: 43,950. That means their offer is $1151 over invoice. The TMV price is 44,569, which is $542 less than the dealer offer. I think I should try more dealers. What do you think?

Thanks.
  • Options
    x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    I think you know you can do better. You should be real close to invoice if not slightly below if they are truly sharing the premium package credit with you.

Good Luck and let us know how you do. The deals right now are great. The dealers are trying or should be trying to move inventory prior to MY09. I was lucky enough to be able to get in on a Feb. 08 deal for a 528xi that is slightly comparable to anything offered now when you consider the free premium package incentive, low money factor/interest rates offsetting the higher residual and customer cash I got then.

You are in LA, so there should be several dealers to engage.
  • Options
    I did the deal today. I got the 528 in platinum gray with black leather and bamboo trim with premium, sport, navigation, sirius, ipod adapter, and floor mats. The MSRP: 53,750. My price: 48,662 + tax, lic, tags. Invoice: 49,050. My price is $5088 off the MSRP. And $388 below invoice. What makes the deal even better is the finance charge: .9% for 60 months.

The car will be here in 5-10 days. I'm really excited. :-)
  • Options
    Congratulations. Sounds like you got a better deal on a better equipped car. I am sure you will love it. And the .9% financing is like free money...I am jealous about that.

Enjoy and welcome to the family! :D
  • Options
    Congrats!
    Did you dealer show you the invoice price?
  • Options
    I saw the list they had but didn't really pay attention to it because I know I had the real figures going into the dealer. I got mine from doing lots of homework online. I went to a few Bimmer boards and members there have posted the secret 'black book' prices, which are the true invoice numbers. Then as a backup, I paid 14 dollars for a Consumer Reports report on the invoice prices of the 5 series. So I went in armed with the truth and the number that I knew would be acceptable to me. The economy is so bad right now for many things, but most especially purchases of luxury cars. Hence the .9% financing and the great deals to be had on leasing. So getting this great deal just kind of balances things out for me. Higher prices for everything... but my dream car suddenly and surprisingly affordable. Strange world!
  • Options
    wow, that's great oceanblue.

I am also considering a car like yours 528xi, they have MSRP $53,875. The dealer only offers me $4k off MSRP. And I don't need finance, I'll pay cash or check. Do you think I can do better? My husband is trying to get me lexus GS350 also. I guess it all depends on the price.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are buying or contemplating a 528Xi equipped like mine. I was about to get $3100 off MSRP in February 2008. There is the premium package incentive that sounds like the dealer isn't really sharing with you, although he probably claims he is. As the other poster mentioned, look at the invoice prices, factor in all or some of the premium package credit and then negotiate.

Also, don't tell the dealer you are not financing or leasing, but paying cash. Telling them cash means they have to make $$$ off of you by not negotiating well on the price of the car. BTW: you know they have .9% financing for up to 60 months. That is practically nothing and allows you to use your money for investing in the interim at a higher interest rate instead of paying cash for a depreciating asset all at once.

Just my .02
  • Options
    You're right. I have pretty much the same packages/options like yours (premium pkg, cold weather pkg, ipod, xenon lights, navigation system). I think I'll use the .9% financing. I'll be glad if I can get $6k off MSRP. I heard someone here got $7k or $8k off MSRP, really don't know how they got the good deals.
  • Options
    gliderpgliderp Member Posts: 3
    i live in nj and was offered the following:

10,000 miles/36 months
    msrp: $53670
    cold weather, premium package, nav, satellite, ipod/usb adapter
    my price: $48670
    $700 month/ $1600 out of pocket

good/bad. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks
  • Options
    question here is what is the mf you are being charged and how they calculated the out of pocket costs? Aquisition fee is $625, but can be marked up to as much as $825. Dealer may try to mark up MF by .0004, so watch out for that. Also, verify the invoice cost. Another good site to check besides this one is bimmerfest.com.

You should run the number through a lease calculator to get a sense of whether the numbers work out. Also, does your lease payment include the 7% NJ tax?

I bought a very similarly equipped 528xi in Feb except I didn't get satellite. I got in on $2500 trunk money and while I'm leasing for 36 mos. it's for 12k miles per. My payment is $650 including tax. Only other caveat is my residual as higher then what they are charging now.

At first blush this deal sounds decent, but running the numbers will tell.
  • Options
    gliderpgliderp Member Posts: 3
    thanks. will do.
  • Options
    suznsaxsuznsax Member Posts: 13
    Having benefited from the postings here I wanted to share my recent experience (7/28) with a new '08 535i equipped with prem pkg, heated front seats, park dist, shade, and navigation. MSRP (pre price increase) 49,400 + options of 5,775 + dest 775 (pre price increase) = 55,950. Invoice of 51,477. I was able to negotiate invoice pricing (ex: MACO) at .0012 MF (I am currently leasing an X5 as well). Residual of 69% on 24 mos. lease = monthly payment pre taxes of $679.78 - $737.56 after taxes. Out of the gate the dealer in the Bay area offered only $1,000 off MSRP and a MF of .0014. My salesman did not know about the dealer rebate on the prem package until I told him about it. He went back to his manager with my request for invoice pricing less MACO at MF .0012. ( BMW published rate of .0020 dropped to .0016 in July less loyalty discount of .0004 = .0012). He initally balked at no MACO and the .0012. He said one or the other, but not both. He relented when I was prepared to walk out the door. Considering this car did not come off his lot I feel great about the deal. Having just turned in an '06, I'm also thrilled with the new engine. Thanks again for everyone's input.
  • Options
    asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    It's very difficult dealing with BMW dealers.
    Does someone have the August MF for 5-series and X-5, for 24 and 36 month leases, including for BMW loyalty? Also, is there still the adjustment for repeat deposits?
    Does someone have any promotional or give-back for 5-series and X5? What is the implication for how much below invoice to go?
    Thank you very much.
  • Options
    mbigelowmbigelow Member Posts: 4
    Where did you end up on pricing. I'm looking at 48,475 minus the nav system.

mb

michaelabigelow@yahoo.com
  • Options
    elbeto77elbeto77 Member Posts: 7
    What is everyone paying for this car and is it close to actual invoice or the term stealerships use (memo)?
  • Options
    mbigelowmbigelow Member Posts: 4
    47,500 in Grand Rapids, MI
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Xenon Lights
    iPod and USB adapter