Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    OK Gardis, that settles it. Black on Black. I strongly veto the auburn color from what you're saying if I am a voting member. I just don't get why BMW would ever put that color in a 5 series. I think marketability and resale appeal would be affected. Plus I think you would get sick of it.
    Have you found these cars locally?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Go figure... I like it!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 70scarnut70scarnut Member Posts: 1
    Dealer in central FL has 7 new leftover 08' 535i sitting around getting sunburn.
    Any thoughts on what a reasonable discount would be off of MSRP?

I'll want to lease but want to get net cap cost as low as possible because 36 mos residual is only 55%.
  • 11taylor11taylor Member Posts: 2
    recently purchased 2008 535xi with 15,000 miles for 40K I am sure that a new 535i has to start somewhere above that. I am amazed that a dealer has so many new 08 cars. Could not find any in Pennsylvania
  • bmw25rhbmw25rh Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2009 528 xi over the weekend for 46400 + tax and other fees. It has cold weather package, ipod and bluetooth and leatherette.

Total suggested retail price is 49675.

Hope this info works for you. I am not sure I got a good deal, but some stat that you can refer too.
    70s, so for that price you did not get a premium package with real leather? How offensive is BMW to give less than leather in a $50,000 car?
    I think you could have done better on price but so could I have.
    Enjoy.
  • pipiolopipiolo Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,
    I need some help here. I want to buy a 528xi. I got a quote from a dealer in kansas for this model:
    -Black sapphire/brown leather
    -Steptronic transmission
    -Premium package
    -Cold weather package
    -Comfort access
    -Xenon lights
    -Satellite radio
    MSRP: 54070
    Asking price is 50300.
    Now, I live in Texas so I need to flight there and bring it back driving 12hrs. Also I was thinking about the 2010 and the value package that include almost everything I want except for the xenon lights. So dont know what to do. Since this will be my first BMW I want to have the peace of mind of making a good deal.

I
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Guys,
    I need some advice. I found on the BMWUSA website, an ideal car. it's a 2007 CPO 530i, Alpine/Black, with Premium, Cold, SPORTS, prem. sound, and NAV. Car has 24K miles on it, it's off lease, one owner, clean Carfax, and dealer wants $36,999 for it. I called and got so excited, it's exactly the car I'm looking for, I walked away from one in January because of the stock market, but I'm reluctant to pass on this one. I called the dealer, and right away put a $500 deposit on it to hold it. The salesman, very nice guy, said they "owned the car at $36,000" and maybe there's few hundred in there, and then asked me what I thought I wanted for mine. I have a 328i, 1996 with 109K miles on it, with some issues (moon roof doesn't work, some other minor stuff that I had priced at the BMW dealer I dont' want to bother fixing yet). He's willing to drive the car to me (dealer is 60 miles from my house), then he called me back and said that he would take mine back with him, and the dealership gave him authorization to appraise mine on the spot.

I'm thinking that the price is a little high for that vehicle, and I don't want to move so fast. Should I drive out there, take the day off, and see what happens. I mean I haven't even driven the car, let alone seen it, except for pictures on the dealer website. The car is evverything I"m looking for but I"m more comfortable at $34,000 not the $36,999. Plus they're going to add dealer fees ($500, right). I"ve seen other similar vehicles with the XI that supposedly is supposed to be a higher priced model, in the same price range if not a little less. I just think that's high for that vehicle, given it has NAV.

What do you guys think? I'm going to call him on Tuesday morning and say, not so fast. Let's talk about price, or walk away. Anybody have any feelings about it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    If the asking price is $36,999 and he told you they own the car for $36K, then he is LYING to you. My guess is they paid around $31K for the car, + add $1500 to add the CPO warranty + I believe the dealer has to fix any issues with the car at his cost (tires, brakes, worn seats...ETC). I think $34K is more than a fair offer($33K is better) for that car. But if you really love it, don't let $2K stand in your way, especially since you seem to hold on to your cars for a long time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mdx2008mdx2008 Member Posts: 13
    I thought about the 2009 vs 2010 issue and I went with buying the 2009. The Value Package does save you a ton of money but the 2010 did not provide the 2 free car payments, I brought my payment right down to 749.00.

Thomas
    Hey Gardis, I am thinking that you have found your vehicle. I know what you're looking for and this, for sure, sounds like it. I agree with NYC that the deal most likely isn't what it seems but there has got to be room to move here. I would play hard ball (OK, maybe soft ball) with pricing. You know my belief that cream puff CPOs tend to sell quickly for top dollar; both of us have had cars ripped from under us in the past few months. That said, I do think that you should see and drive the car before any final deals, especially since you keep your cars for a while.
    But it looks like you have a good nibble.
    Let us know how it works out.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    IMO, price is too high. In Feb I got a 2007 550i LOADED, 38k miles CPO for $35k. they were asking $39.5k Car is mint. $70k retail new.

I would like $33k max for that 530i given the lower miles.
    Guys,
    Listen to this. The salesman wanted to deliver the car to me in CT, and take mine away. He was going to give me a price on the spot for the trade in. Just like that. I said no dice. And no negotiating on the 530i.
    Anyway..I have been working with a nice gal at one of my local BMW dealers for awhile on finding me a car. She had an identical Alpine Wht 2007 530i last December that I passed, because I was too new to it, price was starting $34,679, and then came down to $30350 three months later. Had 31K miles on it.

I mentioned to her about this car in the far dealership that I was interested in, and she told me "I can get the car for you." meaning, bring the car to her local dealership and sell it to me!! She seems very willing to negotiate, and always says "it's negotiable." Unlike the former dealer.

Have you ever heard of a dealer bringing in a car from another dealer because one of their customers wants it?? I guess it's like the real estate agents, who co-share the listings? I never heard of that. Anyway, I'm going to let her get the car after I tell her what I want to pay, which is: $34,000 OUT THE DOOR (OTD), including the trade in.
    what do you think of that price? Or should I wait for her to tell me what she's willing to do?
    hiya smithsonga, that's exactly where I am on that vehicle. I'm thinking $33.5 to $34 is about right, given the NAV, sports, and low miles. I didn' t fall for the salesman's baloney. I'm hoping my lady friend salesgirl at the other dealership can do something for me............I'll keep you posted.....thanks for responding.
  • smopartsmopart Member Posts: 5
    Looking to buy a 528 premium package with Nav. and i had a few questions.

Are the 2010 models out and is the value package an added benefit?

What is a good price. I was thinking $45,000. Priced out to 48,000 on the BMW website

I want to lease. What do I need to be looking for? Mf, etc.

Finally, do you think this car is superior to the E class, A-6 etc.

Thanks.
    Pipiolo, I think you should rethink the 528 model altogether. I think it is very underpowered at 215HP for the size of the 5 Series. I have 255HP in my 530 and it is adequate but not excessive by any means. Highway acceleration and passing and start up in general are inadequate IMHO with the 528 and long term you might be annoyed by this. Gas mileage is not that different with more HP to make a difference.
  • georgeh5georgeh5 Member Posts: 8
    Looking to buy 535i soon.

Switching from LEXUS, I know sport package would be overdone for me.

What are the packages/options must have? Color? 2009 vs 2010?

Quoted from BMWUSA

Base MSRP $51,100
    Titanium Silver Metallic $0
    Black Dakota Leather $0
    Dark Poplar Wood $0
    Value Package $0
    STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $0
    Premium hi-fi system $1,200
    Park Distance Control $750
    Rear side-impact airbags $385
    Destination & Handling: $825
    Total MSRP as Built $54,260

Thanks!
    George, I am thinking that as long as you're buying new, you should probably get navigation if you travel (and also good for resale I think). Much sexier to have the map on the in-dash screen rather than a Garmin hanging from the windshield. It is a 535 after all.
    Good luck. Bargain hard. Deals are plentiful.
    You will love it.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    I have the ipod connector which I love. You are right, I had a Lexus after my first BMW and before my current BMW. Yes, I cursed the Lexus after awhile and the sport package would drive you insane.... :D I know I'll get flammed for this, but a non-sport package BMW is a nice balance and still is a drivers car.

Good Luck!
    Are you against the sport pkg in the BMW, or are you talking about the Lexus sport pkg (didn't know they had one)..........what is to not like about it?
    Kevin,
    you say deals are plentiful, but my dealer is holding tight to the $36,999 price, maybe come down a few hundred. Yet, the car is pretty well appointed with prem, cold, prem sound, SPORTS and NAV, low miles 24K miles. Alpine with black leath. Real creampuff. I'm talking numbers tomorrow, i'll let you know tomorrow night what I find out.
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    George, w/the Sport package you'll get the comfort seats w/lumbar support ($1.2K option).
    I think deals can be had, Gardis, like the two free payments BMW was offering up to $1,500 and the 0.9% financing. Also, depending on the model and the options, dealers don't want them sitting on the lot. My dealer dropped $6,000 from list (which was inflated somewhat). But you and I are very particular, we want certain things in cars, and we may not get the best deals because of it. For example, I think if you want the color black or a gray interior, that deals can be had. Black 5's are all over the place. I didn't want that.
    Your possible seems to be just what the doctor ordered and you are buying at the same time I did, END OF THE MONTH.
    After your extensive research and your patience, I fully expect you to get a good deal. Try (difficult as it is) to keep the emotion and desire out of it. Easier said than done.
    Well guys, after all these months of gut wrenching emotion, I finally made a nice deal today at the BMW dealer in Greenwich CT. Remember I had seen a beautiful Alpine White 2007 530i with Sports pkg, which is just what I was looking for, with low miles.

My sales girl, who's been working with me since November, was able to work with the other dealer because they are all owned by the same BMW parent company apparently. So one of the Greenwich manager's who lives in NJ, is going to pick up the car next week, and drive it over to Greenwich.

Meanwhile, the asking price was $36,999 (premium, cold, SPORTS, NAV, prem sound, comfort access, etc) 24K miles, Warranty expiration June 26, 2012. I got the car for $36,200. My heart was in my mouth over my trade in (1996 328i, 109K miles)
    and somehow, they had the impression I wanted $2500 for it. Well the manager reviewed the car while I was talking to the saleswoman. He came in, and started with "well, I know you wanted $2500 for it (I never said that, I actually thought they'd offer me about $1200), but it has a few issues, and I could do $1500, maybe $2000 since you really want the car." I accepted the $2000 right on the spot, and that ended the negotiation part of it. I'm satisfied with it. Look the car has low treads in the rear set, sunroof inoperational, and ABS light comes on which the Darien dealer told me is a wheel sensor ($275).

So I'm giving them a large down payment, and financing only about 30% of it at 3.9%, she said maybe they'd do a little better. we'll see. The car is a cream puff, Alpine White, with black leather, and I am so excited I fnally found a car. I know I paid maybe a little more, but you know something, I keep my vehicles a long time, so that extra money will be amortized over the life of the vehicle.

Also - I bought the extended service warranty for $1695, which extended the service warranty until the end of the main warranty, which is June 2012. I felt it was worth the $800 per year extra for that. Peace of mind. Otherwise the 4 year warranty was running out in June 2010. I want to make sure my 30K mile servicing is FREE. Now it will be. I thought this was well worth it, I know they probably took me, but since the BMW dealer sold it to me, I have no doubt about it. It went onto the amount to financce, and yes, I realize it's a gimmick, but still it's there if I need it.

Well what do you think guys!!!
  • smopartsmopart Member Posts: 5
    Leased a 2009 535 with Space Grey exterior and Dakota grey interior. It was a demo with 4000 miles. Bought it in Dallas, Texas. It had the following upgrades

PREMIUM PKG
    SPORT PKG
    COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM
    HEATED FRONT SEATS
    NAVIGATION SYSTEM
    LOGIC7 SOUND SYSTEM
    IPOD & USB ADAPTER
    6-SPEED STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION W/OD

Paid only $500 down and lease price is $719/month for 3 years with 12,000 miles/year

2009 models are scarce but great deals can be had.

The dealer in Arlington was great. Experience in Plano at Classic BMW was awful Manager was a jerk
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Please, let me know if you believe any particular BMW dealer in the Washington DC are is offering better pricing. I'm looking to buy a 2009 535i. Thank you.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats! In the end as long as YOU are happy with the car (and it sounds like you are down right exctatic) that's all that matters! Enjoy your car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• sondu51sondu51 Member Posts: 6
    Automatic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenon lights, 11k miles for 37k

any advice
  • goldendragon18goldendragon18 Member Posts: 15
    Dulnev,

Vob bmw has the most in their inventory and the people are laid back but if you want a dealership with better service, tischer is better although they don't seem to give the best prices. the passport experience with my dad was like pulling teeth but they were desperate to sell the car.
  • valuebuyer1valuebuyer1 Member Posts: 9
    Hey All,
    Need advice on PRICE!
    Was originally going to buy a CPO 2006 330x but realized that it was smaller inside than my 2000 Saab 95.
    That said, I am upgrading to a CPO 2006 525xi OR 530xi buying with the current BMW 2006 financing incentive of 0.9% for 60 months.
    The two I am considering are:
    2006 525xi w/15989 miles MSRP of $33,995
    2006 530xi w/19997 miles MSRP of $34,995
    Both are titanium silver, black leather
    Premium Package, Cold Weather Package
    Any advice on how low they can go on price? Never bought a used car before and never bought a BMW before, so your experienced insights would be very helpful to my hard ball negotiations.
  • bobdebobde Member Posts: 6
    Hey,
    I would definitely go for the 530 xi you get the 255 hps instead of the 215. much needed for the size of the car.
    I think you have room to negotiate the 35K price to a 32K. start with a 29K offer and work your way up.
    I say that from experience, just bought a 2006 530xi with 16K miles for around $31,900. I love it.
    Also, Are you sure you can finance at .9% for 60 moths. I thought it was 3.9%??
    Good luck
  • greenkidgreenkid Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I have been looking into buying a 535i for quite sometime now. I just missed the 0.9% APR and 1500$ cash incentive also.

Now I am stuck between '08 535i space gray ext/black int with premium pkg, cold weather, ipod/usb, navigation and hi fi sound with 12k miles asking price 43888$ and '09 535i black ext/black int with the same specifications asking price 51,500$ after 5000$ manufacturer rebate.

Do you guys have any suggestions/comments on whether these sound like deals to be had or is there room for negotiations any further?

I also would like to consider 528i option just because its cheaper than 35, does anybody have experience with 228HP vs 300HP engine given the size of 5 series?

Thanks alot.
    Guys
    I finally saw my new Alpine Princess tonight for the first time...........2007 CPO 530i,
    with Premium, Cold, Sports, Prem. Sound, and NAV, comfort access.......Alpine white with Blk Leather, Anthracite wood..........When I saw the car in the dealer's garage (they imported it in from a sister dealer in NJ), I just stood there........the car is so unbelievable to look at with the Shadowlline trim and sport rims, that I was speechless. It was truly Impeccable. My brother and I got in the car and just looked at it. I gotta say, I don't know if there is any car that can top a BMW. The dealer handed me one plate, said put it in the windshield, see you in a half hour, didn't care where I drove it (I already had paperwork and a deposit on the vehicle). I felt like I was in a dream the whole time.

I pick up the vehicle on Thursday this week. It has 24, 547 miles on it. There isn't so much as a hair out of place on that vehicle. The trunk looks brand new. Warranty coverage until end of June 2012. I got the extended service warranty too.
    I am counting the seconds and minutes until I pick her up on Thursday. I ended up paying $36200 for it. Tonight, I had it in my head that I was going to try to take some more money off the table -- until I laid my eyes on that vehicle, that is. If he said, you know what, we have to get another $500 for it, I would have signed the check.

It's the most exciting and stunning vehicle I've ever driven in my life, a true achievement for me. I'm one lucky guy tonight.
  • letsgogiantletsgogiant Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking for a new 2009 bmw 535i for a while but can not pull the trigger. Now that BMW offered $5000 dealer cash, it's time to make the move. Has anyone on this board bough a 5 series recently after the dealer cash was out? What's the deal looks like? I checked the inventory, seems like not much 2009 left, though.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    Hello Guys
    Picked up my CPO 2007 530i on Thursday at the dealer. The car is impeccable and I'm ecstatic with it. When I was doing all the paperwork I was signing the finance papers (I only financed about 25% of it @3.9% from BMW) the guy tried to upsell me on those options for a higher monthly payment, and I turned them all down FLAT. He looked disappointed and said, may I ask why, and I ignored him. Gimmick.

I can't believe how this car handles. Smooth and powerful. I'm thinking why would they need an even bigger engine on the 535 model now. With what I have, it feels like taking off in a 747 when I ease onto the highway!!

Have a great weekend,

Gardis - CT
    Letsgogiant,

I bought '09 535i with the 5000$ cash rebate. I paid 51500$ for 535i sapphire black with premum pkg, cold weather, park distance, confort access and navigation. Was oroginally priced at 59775 and I bought it for 51500 after 5000 cash rebate. This sounds like a good deal to me, what do you think.

Good luck.
    Not really for or against the sports package in the BMW. I just personally didn't particularly want the low profile tires and find the ride a little harsh. Not all feel that way.

No, the Lexus didn't have a sport package. As I mentioned too cushy and the non sport 528xi is just the right balance for me.
    Congratulations!
    The e60 528xi has more than 215 hp; it's 230 hp. Now that is no where near the TT 300HP of the 535, but I have no problem doing 80+ quicky and can pass people pretty quickly on the highway, as I did tonight, on the highway. It is a whiplash inducing rocketship take off like the 335 or 535? No, but it s pretty peppy when needed.

Actually, I'm even more pleased knowing that that HPFP issues are not going to happen to the 528.

But again, it is a matter of taste. The e39's power plant for both 525 and 530 were worefully inadequate and I previously had a 2003 530. Tought time on inclines.....not fast at all off the block. Seems like they have done alot with the 528 with same amount of HP as the previus 530.

Just IMHO.
  • letsgogiantletsgogiant Member Posts: 3
    greenkid,

Congradulations on your new car.

That sounds like a good deal. Can you let me know what's your negotiation strategy and what's the invoice on your car? i got a quote from a local dealer on a new 535 i for $100 over invoice - $5000 over the weekend. I don't know if I should continue to negotiate the price lower when I go in the dealership or should I just accept the price as is and not letting the guy feel I am low balling him.
    Letsgogiant,

100$ over invoice is a great deal. The invoice of my car was 55400$. If you are getting the same car for 100$ over invoice you can potentially get it for 1000$ less than me.

Go get it! It cant get any better than this. Let me know how it goes.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    According to carsdirect.com you should be paying well below invoice now. New incentives started about a week ago...
  • s24ws24w Member Posts: 19
    We are looking at the following vehicle:

2009 BMW 535 i xdrive demo with 6100 miles.
    Original MSRP 59670

Vehicle options:
    Cold Weather Pkg
    Premium Pkg
    All Wheel Drive
    Steptronic Auto trans
    ipod & USB adaptor
    Navigation system
    Sattelite radio w/ 1 yr mbrship
    destination charge ($825)

Offering for $51995 minus 2500 cash = $49,495
    Money factor .00175
    36 mo. lease
    50% depreciation

$725 Acquistion fee
    $201.46 Document fee
    $650 Security Deposit
    6% sales tax

Dealer says lease payment comes out to $639 per. mo (includes acquision fee) tax extra (150 due as a total amount at lease signing), but I'm not sure if this is accurate. I used a lease calculation and came up with $584 (which includes tax and acquision fee built in) but maybe my calculation doesn't count because I used a calculator for leases that have to be new cars? http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasing/articles/48365/article.html
    Not sure, since this vehicle has miles on it.

How does this look?
    And how do I know that the mileage hasn't been manipulated?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    The dealer has to lower the residual to account for the miles on a demo..

Last info I had:

1st 500 miles are free... after that, $0.30/mi. (used to be $0.15, until this year)..

6100 - 500 = 5600 miles X $.030 = $1680.00

Lower the residual by that amount.. (change the residual % to 47.2%, and it will approximate it), and see how that changes your calculation.. I think it will put it pretty close.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rockbluerockblue Member Posts: 7
    Hello all I am in the market for a 535i with these options
    Cold weather
    Value Pkg
    Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    CA
    Power shades
    PDC
    HBA
    Active Cruise
    Nav
    Logic 7
    invoice 61,370.00
    msrp 64,400.00
    36 months with 0 down 15k yr 909 month
    Which is very close to TMV price on this site, any comments or suggestions on this price.

Rock
  • sss2sss2 Member Posts: 11
    Has anybody had any recent experience buying out their BMW at the end of the lease? In the past few months, BMWFS has been negotiating directly with owners and offering near-wholesale prices. According to some other forums, the practice has now ended and all negotiations have to go through the local dealer. From my experience in talking to the dealers, they are much more interested in selling or leasing a new car than helping you buyout your leased vehicle. Does anybody have any recent experiences they can share? Mine is a 2007 525i.
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    I just called BMW FS this morning and was offered $7400 off the residual of my 2007 X3 that is due for return next week. Also was offered on the spot financing of 5.5% for 60 months direct without going to dealer. However, I am thinking of the getting a BMW exec demo 528i (MSRP over $57K) that I was offered. I will post if quote is confirmed but it's like $11K off sticker plus my lease loyalty rebates and new car lease rates and residuals. $1125 drive off, $452/month including LA tax for 36mos w/ 15K miles. Too good to be true? We shall see!
    as stated in kyfdx post above, the dealer had to lower my residual by the .30/mile formula and therefore changed it to 52.46% and the payment is $544.22 incl LA tax.
  • hoosbesthoosbest Member Posts: 39
    JMCBMW - How did you get them to counter you? My last call which was 2.5 months prior to lease end, they said, BMW FS does not negotiate residual values. I am not three weeks left on a 2007 BMW 530i - and want to figure out how to do. How did you ask the question?

The dealer has NO incentive to work in your favor. If the car is in good shape, low miles, etc., he would rather buy from BMW FS at auction rate since they get first shot, then certify and make a quick $5000+.
    I didn't have to counter. They have been calling me (almost too much) and lowered the price 3 times total. They are calling it a "rebate" I believe it's only on the X3 however. My residual was something crazy like 75-77% when I leased 2 years ago which got me a great lease deal but they are getting hit on the turn in. Also, if I return the X3 there is a special $1500 new lease incentive on any new BMW. Go figure. I'm still trying to decide between a 2009 loaded 3-series or a 2009 loaded 5-series exec demo w/ 11K miles for almost the same payment. The only downside (and i guess it's minor) is that the 2009 5-series has the old navigation system.