Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• speedy19speedy19 Member Posts: 71
    Hi guys,
    I am in a HUGE CRUNCH. I NEED TO BUY A NEW CAR BEFORE JULY 6. I have a 750 Credit Score.

I saw the 2006 CPO has 0.9% financing on the 525i
    I saw that there is a 5k incentive to buying the 2007, 2008.

Which one would you guys go for?

I am not looking to spend anymore then 35k?
    + I want the extended maintainence program (up to 100k) what is the price on this?

Should I wait for JULY 4?
    What about this deal?
    2008 528i
    Price $31,988
    Mileage 38,363

includes nav and some other items:
    Stability Control, Xenon Headlamps, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo, Single Compact Disc, BMW Assist, Navigation System, Bluetooth Wireless, Dual Front Air Bags, Front Side Air Bags, ABS (4-Wheel), Traction Control, Leather, Dual Power Seats, Moon Roof, Alloy Wheels, Direct ignition system w/knock control, Pwr water pump, Volume-controlled oil pump, Aluminum double-pivot strut-type front suspension, Aluminum 4-link integral rear suspension, Twin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbers, Front/rear aluminum subframes, Front/rear stabilizer bars, 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes, 4-wheel anti-lock brake system (ABS), Dual exhaust system, Front/rear body-color bumpers, Chrome & matte-black side window trim,

How much should I negotiate down to?? Please help. in a CRUNCH.

Do the 528i's have enough power?
  • srx2870srx2870 Member Posts: 16
    5k incentive to buy used 2007 and 2008? or incentive on new car only..?
  • srx2870srx2870 Member Posts: 16
    This car is such a great deal compare to what I found recently around my house. 07 530 is cost even more than this. Where you find such great price on 08 5 series??
    where do you live? do an autotrader search for dealer CPO cars.
    youll find tons!
    HELLO WHAT IS THE PRICE FOR THE EXTENDED MAINTAINENCE FOR 2007 2008 528i? ?WHat is the best you have gotten?
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Speedy,
    I just bought a CPO 2007 530i from the dealer in Greenwich, CT, paid $36,200 for the vehicle, with 24K miles on it. The car is flawless, has Premium, Cold, Prem. Sound , Sports and Nav. I ordered the extended warranty which extends the service warrany by two years. Cost: $1675. So figure that's 850 per year cost. I thought it was well worth it, just in case.

Good luck, and let me know how you make out.
    ok thank you Gardis,
    is there a reason you went wit hthe 530 vs 525? 525 too underpowered?
    was the price you gave me out the door?
    How much were the mysteruious "dealer fees"
    and any other fees?
    Please if you can just look through your sale doc for me. I really dont want to get screwed by these guys. ill def let you know how i make out.
    Hiya Speedy,
    I went with the 530i because it has the slightly larger engine, yet is not a gas guzzler by any stretch (like the 535i with twin turbos). Also, I love the sporty look of the 530 with Sports pkg, which is what I have. I don't like the chrome around the windows, I have the "shadow line" trim which is solid black around the windows.

My out the door was just over $38K with everything. That included 6% sales tax on the vehicle, plus $275 dealer fees, $120 registration, and also remember that included the $1,675 extended maintenance, less the $2000 trade in value. Dealer fees I was surprised only $275, I have seen them up to $499 at some dealerships, I guess that is dependent on the dealership. Considering I bought mine in Greenwich, CT, I was surprised. You won't face extraordinary costs. Be careful with the financing contract: they are trained to upsell you on the contract by adding in "insurance, security, " crap that you don't need, which just increases the monthly payment amount. I turned it all DOWN FLAT. The guy looked disappointed, because they get a commissh. You don't need any of it. I got 3.9% financing, which I thought was very good, but I only financed about one third of the car. You can pay it off anytime, no penalty.

Also, I got a call today from BMW finance, just to confirm details. They tried to sell me a BMW credit card!! I said NO, thanks, and he was very polite, and finished the conversation. YOu have to know how to handle these people, they are trained to do their jobs, no sense in getting angry with them, they are just trying to make a living separating us from our money. LOL.

I love the car. Glad I did it while I had the dough. Who knows with this government if they're going to tax the air we breath any day now, we'll have nothing left!!

Take care, let me know how you make out.

Gardis - CT
    OK thank you so much Gardis.
    I went to the dealer yesterday and I think he was bullshi**ing me
    he said that the 2007 CPO has a 3.9%
    and the 2008 CPO Does not have ANY incentive from BMW FS. He said it would be at market rate 7% or higher.
    So because of that I leaned toward the 2007's only.
    here is what I found on the lot.

I drove this car, and I have never had a BMW Automatic before (only a stick), but it seemed to like to shift alot! What the heck, throttle was very sensitive, shifting betwen 2nd and 3rd back and forth depending on if i needed more gas or brake.

out of 1st gear was NOT a smooth shift, if I put a decent amount of gas into the car.
    is this normal??

I wonder if this car had the ODO rolled back. My buddy used to lease mercedes and roll the ODO back on leases.

This was a lease return:

$30991. 525i. 2007. 31k miles. Dark Grey, grey interior. Premium. Xenon. Bumper to bumber Ends. 12 27 2010 (add 2 years because this car was CPO).
    I dont hink the car is worth mor ethen 28k, what do you guys say??

Car #2:
    $27991 2007 green tag- meaning THEY CANNOT SUPPOSEDLY TOUCH THE CAR PRICE AT ALL AND WONT NEGOTIATIOTE (whatever!). 525i. Black. Tan. Nav. 42k miles. warranty prob ending in 8k (which will come first!)

What do you think it is worth?

car#3:
    $32991 525i 2007. bumper to bumper Ends 9 13 2010. (2 years warranty w/ cpo = ends 9/12) 525i. 27656 miles

Nav. Xenon. Premium. Silver outside. Blk inside.
    What do you think it is worth?
    OH AND one OTHER VERY IMPORTANT THING, i need your help on this.
    I went stragiht to the fleet manager at the dealership.
    I told him, just nonchalantly, so youre going to sell me the extended maintainence for $1000, right?
    he laughed.
    HE CLAIMED THAT THE PRICE OF THE EXTENDED MAINT PLAN GOES UP BY $800 EVERY YEAR. BULL! That really pissed me off, taking me for a fool!

I saw on these pages that you guys have bought these ext maint services for $1200 or so.
    He quoted $2500! I need to go in there with ammunition. please give me some realistic info!
  • kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    Hey Speedy, the absolute key to buying a used vehicle is the ability to walk away. As i heard not too long ago on one of these forums, "a good car, like a bad woman, is around every corner."
    The problem is that it is VERY easy to fall in love with used BMWs and, if you are particular in what you want, there can be little to choose from at any one time. Every dealer either outright lies, or exaggerates - if you feel that you are being scammed, just walk away. They will either call back or another car will come along. The absolute best deal I ever got on a used car was on a GMC Yukon. The dealer gave me a price, I said no. I told him that I knew he had taken delivery on the car 5 months before and it was going nowhere. He was startled but I DID walk out. End of the month, guess who called me with a reduced price for the Yukon and an increased value for my trade!! Be patient. Dealers, particular BMW I think, count on you being taken in by the "ultimate driving machine" and paying too much. I know I did, not a lot but a little, because I wanted a particular color combo. Regarding the extended warranty for $2,500 and annual increase, do you know anything that is going up in price by $800 a year in THIS economy????????
    Also, don't know your high end price range or driving habits, but I think the 525 is underpowered for a car of almost 4,000 lbs.
    Good luck.
    Speedy,
    I paid $1,675 for my extended warranty which brings the SERVICE warranty up to the end of the bumper to bumper, which is June 2012. So the $2500 price seems out of whack. This price was quoted to me by the BMW dealer itself.

I had a very specific set of expectations for my car, thus it took me a long time to nail it down. Finally I saw what I wanted and went for it. I may have left some money on the table, but I got a pristine vehicle. To each his own, as they say.

Keep in touch, by the way, what state do you live in?

Gardis
    Gardis I am in CA.
    Thank you for the response.
    I found a 2007 525i with nav.
    asking $29k
    23k miles on it, yes it is CPO
    How much wiggle room do you think I got?
    I am thinking i will offer $25k and go up to 27k and take it.
    Im going to pay around 1300-1500 for the extended SERVICE
    + I guess a few thousand for the TTL fees.
    What is the interest rate on these? 3.9%
    Should i wait for July 4.
    I am under pressure to purchase before Jul 6.
  • socalbimmer7socalbimmer7 Member Posts: 1
    Was quoted about $2200 if purchased prior to 4/50k exp, and about $2400 if purchased between 50k - 60k. Southern California area. Dealer indicated new brakes cost almost $800 for fronts, and $1500 if front & rear. And the street price for dealer oil change up to $200., the service contract almost makes sense for routine maint. items. Throw in a few unexpected things, and you could be a few bucks ahead.
    Extended maintenance may be a good idea or may not, not sure. Examples here seem to say yes, but if you think that the going wisdom tells you to never buy extended warranties on any product, then I say it's 50/50.
    Some of these BMW repairs can be stunning I have to say.
    As far as $200 for an oil change, I just had my oil/filter changed at Valvoline on my 530 for $77. I decided to change oil between 5,000 and 7,500, and not the ridiculous 15,000 BMW lets it go.
    Heading out to dinner now with the $123 difference.
    Have a good weekend.
    Speedy,
    That sounds like a pretty good deal, it has low miles and NAV. I would go for that one. Make them an offer, and see what happens. You can always go up. But be ready to walk away from the desk.

I know I paid a little more for mine, but as Kevin correctly stated it above. I was looking for a very specific thing in exterior color and also Sports pkg, low miles, so that limited my selections. I finally found something and I jumped on it, but not without negotiating as best I could.

I had a 1996 328i for 10 years, it was off warranty for most of that time, and I never had any "stunning" repair bills, but I did spend money on it, however. I have the extended service warranty on my 530i, cost of $1675 which I thought was worth it, brings me to June 2012. I'm worry free for the next three years. Any mechanical object has to be maintained. I love the BMW, love the way it drives, love the way it makes me feel. For me it's worth spending the $$$. Then again, I don't have kids to put through college, so what am I living for, if not to have some enjoyment. I just can't say the Lexus RX, which I also looked at (but didn't drive) does the same for me. Didnt' give me that "spark".......

Also, just in comparison, my neighbor has a beautiful new Lexus es350, huge looking vehicle, their service center is open during the night for you........now why would they have to be opened during the night if their cars didn't need servicing??
    Ask yourself, so ALL these luxury cars are designed to hit the service stalls now and then, it's part of the game of owning one.

Speedy, don't let that deal escape you. The 3.9% rate is correct. The dealer gave you the straight stuff on that one. That's exactly what I'm paying.
    OK So I didnt pick up the car I mentioned above.

I really want a NAV and have decided to wait for the color I want. Titanium Grey or White with a Black or Grey interior.

The problem is that all the cars with NAV seem to have other options attached to them as well (the most common of course being the premium package)...

Guys- any help here- what will BMW FS have for the month of July on CPO 2007 cars? anything better???

I AM IN A CRUNCH and need to purchase before July 5!

I have options, but not with the EXACT things i am looking for (color, etc.)
    Hi kyfdx and Car_man, any idea what the promotions will be through BMW FS in 2009? I am looking to purchase a CPO (2007 or 2008) but dont know if I should wait for July to see what happens or continue on and purchase by June 20. What do you think? When do they usually disclose what is going to happen in July? Do dealers know already? help!

thanks,
    ajay
    Hi Speedy,
    what is the sales tax up to now in CA? We have 6% here in CT.

That tax added over $2000 to my car.
    sales tax is going from 8.75 -> 9.25 July 1!
    Hi guys,
    Can you tell me how much I should offer on this deal?

2007 CPO
    525i
    silver grey/black interior
    Dealer ASK: $32995
    Miles: 31,000
    Sport, Premium, Nav pacakges

50k bumper to bumper warranty ends: 5/ 2010
    CPO warranty only covers drivetrain (engine,transmission).

I am slightly hesitant on the deal because the b2b warranty is leaving me with 11months or 20k miles left to make sure the nav, audio, a/c etc are all OK (these items not covered by CPO extneded).

I really like a car (or 2) with 18 months/25k b2b warranty left. Just cant find one with the nav option!
    How much should I offer?

HELP!
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    They tried to sell me a BMW credit card!!

You might have passed up on a pretty good deal. I was pre-approved for the BMW CC when I signed the papers on my CPO 525 a few weeks ago. 4.99% for 6 months then 6.24% variable afterwards. That is better than my Arkansas based CCs, which historically have the best rates nationwide. FWIW, YMMV....
    I would leave the state before i paid 9.25% sales tax.... and the state is still bankrupt. California is the next fed bailout. But in a way I have to admire the ability/desire of Calif. residents to buy BMWs in a state where they get raped for taxes and their property values have declined 40-50%.
    I fear for what was once my country. Someone please slap us when sales tax goes to 9+
    so nobody has any comments about my deal??
    Wow, Speedy, 9.25%!! Now I understand why you want to do the deal now. I would go with the NAV, I love my Nav, although I never expected to buy a car with nav.
    Also, the Alpine White with the blk interior is a great combo. See I'm willing to pay more for the pkgs, you seem unwilling to pay more, you just want a stripped down car? Premium pkg gives you real leather, whereas they just give you "leatherette".

I would not buy a car and pay 9.25% tax, that's just me personally. That means I would have paid over $3,348 in taxes on the car I just bought, well over $1,100 more than I paid in taxes, here in CT.

Speedy, you should really have done a deal before end of June, they are desperate to make their sales quotas for the month, why didn't you close on the deal today?
    What are you waiting for?
  • greenkidgreenkid Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I recently bought a 535i '09 with premium pkg, logic 7sound . I was told by the dealer that 6 CD changer is a dealer installed option and would cost 1000$ extra. But on reading the 5series manual, it says that the Hi Fi sound comes with a 6 CD changer.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks.
    I finally did it.
    this is BMW #2.

2007 BMW 530i Black Sapphire / Black Leather
    Premium/Xenon/Nav
    List $34995
    18k miles
    50k bumper to bumper ends 12/2010!
    CPO Car. Ends 12/2012

I paid $32,500.
    I also paid $1800 for the extended maintainence plan until 12/2012.
    (THE EXTENDED MAINTAINENCE PLAN WENT UP ON 5 series JULY 1 2009 by $300-$500 (cost / retail?) - CONFIRMED

the dealer screwed up and at the end said, "i scrweed up, the maintainence is $300 more." I told him to eat it up. and he did.

I was very happy with the deal because I had previously haggled with another dealer for over 3 hours to get a similar deal (and on a 525i, not this nicer 530i), and with this dealer I got the deal in under 5 min.

Not the color combo i wanted but I was in a crunch and needed it badly.
    530i has a little more kick anyway!

car+TTL + Maint=$37k approx

I did the 3.9% for 60 months.
    Speedy, Congratulations! That sounds like a nice, clean vehicle. Low miles! Mine had 24K miles on it which I thought was pretty low, but 18K is great. That sounds like a very nice car, and you should be very happy with it.

Congratulations!!
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    I have an interesting story. i have 2008 535xi which i love but have had regrets that i didn't get the comfort access and satellite radio . . . and have been planning to trade it in. well - i took my car in to get it detailed and the service people spilled some type of cleaning agent on the display unit. long story short, it permanently marked/stained the display and it is a $4,000 repair which the dealer assumed responsibility for. i agreed that in exchange for not replacing the unit, the dealership would give me preferential terms on a lease. i haven't done the analysis but would appreciate some assistance on the following questions:
    1. What are the pros/cons of the bmw select program? the dealer has offered 2.9% APR with 60 month contract term with the ability to refinance the vehicle again at the end of the term with guaranteed 2.9% APR or move into another vehicle.
    2. when you lease a vehicle, do you negotiate as if you are purchasing a vehicle and therefore the lease terms are based on the negotiated value or is is simply based on the MSRP of the vehicle as configured?
    3. i've never leased a vehicle so i do appreciate any help the community can provide
    Guys,
    I was washing the car today (530i, 2007) and when I removed the key, I was washing the car and noticed that the radio was STILL ON. I put the key back in, foot on brake, pushed it in, and it popped out like usual and radio went off. I want to know how it was, or what I did wrong, that I was able to remove the key from the ignition, and the radio kept on playing. That worries me.

Also - I need to know what happens when I'm at the car wash, engine running, and I get out of the car, does the car automatically lock, and what if it does? How do I get back in the car?

Maybe I need to read the manual, but I haven't gotten the time yet.

Thanks.
    This happens to me ALL THE TIME.
    It is a problem with the software on the dashboard I think.

Try this- start a blue tooth phone call. with hte key in the ignition.

pull the key out of the ignotion. the call will continue. OK, this is fine for a while, but not forever. it goes on FOREVER.

Walk away from the car, do whatever, the bluetooth will sitll be on, screen still alive.

I think the system needs new SW, I am going to take mine in for update. Gardis, can you tell me if you get to it first what happens.!
    Speedy,
    I don't think that's the same problem. This only happened once to me. Hasn't re occurred. Also, I notice that in order to open the door when key is in the ignition, all you have to do is pull the doorknob TWICE.

You need to go into the iDrive, and go to the phone stuff. I'm sure there' s a solution to that. It can't be a software problem, this would have surfaced in more than just our two cars if that were the case. Read the manual which is what I'm trying to do.
    Listen, these are complex vehicles, we have to learn all the software.
    Speedy,
    BTW, how do you like your new car?? I love mine.
    Hi Gardis,
    I was travelling for 5 days so I havent gotten to enjoy it too much! I only drove it for 3 days and then i left on a busineess trip... well im back today, and I do love it.
    What I do notice is that the shift between 1st and 2nd is not as smooth as I would like it to be. I had a 328i 6 speed manual and i never had an auto before, so I guess this is normal..???? I mean its not like im accelrating very hard... the slightly uncomfortable shift is only when I am aplying a decent amount of pressure on the accelerator.. (or what I think is decent, but not excessive)..
    do you notice the same?
    Hi Gardis, did you ever figure it out? what was wrong with the radio?
  • srkoolsrkool Member Posts: 2
    Speedy,

Did the $33,500 that you paid include the $1,800 for the extended maintenance plan or was the $1,800 separate?

Do you think that paying $2,500 is a fair price for an extended maintenance plan that covers an additional 2 years?

Srkool
    Hi Srkool,
    I spent 32,500 EXCLUDING the $1800 for maintainence.

Apparently the retail on the maint went up by $500 July 1, 2009.
    I assume cost will be $250.
    I think reasonable price is around $2200.
    Is the extended warranty essentially a bumper to bumper extension of the 4 year/50,000 new car warranty? If so, seems as though it would be worth it if you plan on keeping the car long term, but not so sure if you plan to trade in regularly.
    please do not confuse extended warranty with extended maintainence.

extended warranty only covers drivetrain (engine, transmission) after 50k warranty expires. No NAV or AUDIO. or other things.

extended maintainence is paying for brake pads, rotors, oil changes, etc.
    Community, i posted a message last week and would like to get some feedback on it. i have additional information. here is the final offer. would appreciate insight
    2010 BMW 535xi sedan (order) $53,400
    Monaco Blue Metallic/Cream Beige Leather Light wood trim
    Steptronic Automatic Transmssion 0
    Comfort Access 1,000
    Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar Support 1,200
    Fold Down Rear Seats 475
    Navigation System 1,900
    Satellite Radio w/1 year subscription 595
    Active Cruise Control 2,400
    Park Distance Control 750
    Premium Package (w/ZVP ) 750
    Universal Garage Door Opener
    Auto-dimming interior mirror
    Auto-dimming exterior mirror
    Ambient Light Package
    Value Package 0
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Heated Front Seats
    Retractable Headlight Washers
    iPod and USB Adapter
    Leather Dakota
    Destination and Hadling 825
    Total MSRP $63,295

Sale Price = $58,865

i'm going to go with the special offer for 2010 model year. 2.9% with the bmw select program
  • hoosbesthoosbest Member Posts: 39
    Seems like decent deal for 2010 model. I have decided to wait for 7-8 months for new body style which is due in early 2010. That car will depreciate pretty fast once new body style is out. Think one is better off buying a 1-2 year old used model than 2010 given pending new design.
  • srkoolsrkool Member Posts: 2
    Speedy19, thanks for that feedback. I just picked up my 2007 525i and was able to negotiate the extended maintainence plan for $2,000. My dealer also confirmed that the maint. plan went up by $500 at the beginning of July. By the way, excluding the cost of the maint. plan, I paid $30K for the 2007 525i with premium package and navigation and approx. 28K miles. I think this is a very good price from a Southern Calif dealer. I looked at similar models at two other dealers and they were not willing to negotiate below $32.5K.
    yeah, i thought about that option too but haven't been able to see what the new body style looks like. i have searched and there are lots of opinions about what it might look like. i have seen some concepts which look great but i haven't been able to get any type of confirmation. have you seen any confirmed styles yet?
    Greg,
    Before I would drop $2400 on Active Cruise Control, get yourself the manual for the 5 series, and READ about it. I would never drop that kind of money on a technology that is not guaranteed to slow down the car when you come around a corner. The manual says over and over, the system is not intended to supplant the driver's judgement. (in so many words). I would not spend on that, it's a gimmick. But your call. I have to say, I love my Nav, though I didn't ask for it.
    Guys,
    How do you handle leaving the car running in a car wash, with central locking?
    I'm afraid if I get out of the car, it will lock automatically, and I won't be able to access again.

Am I off base? I've read the manual, and cannot find anything about that.
    i recognize the risk for sure . . . i don't think i would ever be able to totally trust the technology but i did test drive a vehicle with it and it did work pretty well. of course i didn't try the stop n go feature but on straight road it worked ok

my vehicle arrives in mid-september and will post a message and let everyone know how it goes
  • srj1srj1 Member Posts: 5
    A dealer in Northern California is offering 2007 525i driven 5500 miles for 31K. There are no options upgrades. It is an automatic steptronic stearing car. Please let me know if this is a good deal

SJ
  • countrygirl2countrygirl2 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, My 2007 525i is coming off of lease shortly, and I'm wondering how much I can realistically expect to negotiate the dealer down from the residual value (approx. $30k). Does anyone have any experience/advise on this? Thanks.
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    My 07 525xi lease is up end November 09 with 34k residual value. Appraisal from Edmunds dealer trade in = 24k, retail=30k. I understand the redesigned 2010 5 series style will hit the showrooms in early 2010 which will further reduce the resale value. On paper it sounds I am better off walking away. Does anybody know if BMW will negotiate on the sale price and would they accept same as dealer trade in?