Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    Yes, our first used car is a 2008 BMW 535i with 26,000 miles on the clock: NAV, Cold Weather and Premium Packages, those wonderful adjustable seats, etc. Certified. Paid $39,800. The dealer put on a brand new set of Goodyear Eagle tires, paid for a year of Sirius radio, provided new mats (carpet and heavy duty), did superb detailing, and also threw in several other nice things. Good buying experience overall.

One tip -- the dealership tried to sell us a tire protection, road hazard package. Passed on that, went to a chain tire store, and bought their tire protection plan for $79. (We passed on the extended maintenace, which was offered at $2,100.)

I have a question about the driver assist features. -- Has anyone purchased the optional $199 BMW concierge service? Do you find it worthwhile?
  • hithit Member Posts: 36
    how much did you pay for it?? leasing, financing?? I'm considering getting the same car also in the NY area
  • nlkleinbergnlkleinberg Member Posts: 17
    Well, I have a bunch of options on it. I have the paperwork (e-mailed to me by my dealer) in front of me but haven't signed/returned it.

As I say, $500 over invoice (or at least what KBB, Edmunds, etc. SAY is invoice) + $180 training (listed on the price sheets) and $300 MACO (which every post I've read says is legitimate, varies by region). Then there's tire tax, a fee for getting the registration, title, tax (of course), etc. Details are: 2010 535XI 6-speed with PP, Sport Pack, Value Pack, Nav, PDC, Sat Radio, Split Folding Rear, Heated Rear, Ventilated Seats, Nasca Leather and Anthracite Header, $59,675 + tax, title, $45 doc fee, tire, reg (includes training and MACO).

Again, I'm TERRIBLE at negotiating with dealers and I didn't have to do ANYTHING to get $500 over invoice. Unless there's trunk cash I know nothing about, the economy must have these dealers desperate, especially at the end of the month and with the current 5 coming to end of production. I might be able to push for a few hundred less but, frankly, I like this dealer a lot and it's worth it to me to just do the $500.

As to your leasing or financing question: I don't want to finance, although I understand there's 2.9% financing available from BMW. Might affect the quote though. I MIGHT want to lease but I won't know what the programs are until the car is delivered in about two months. At that time I'll see what I want to do and what deal I can strike with my dealer, but if I need to I'll just pay cash.

HTH
  • kalos12000kalos12000 Member Posts: 6
    stay away, unless you want to keep going back to the dealer for constant repairs. obviously this car has this ongoing issue for at least 4 times. too many people are having problems with HPFP i would recommend that you stay away.
    read this.....
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291279&highlight=hpfp
  • 335xict335xict Member Posts: 2
    Prior to the mishap - did you not explore having the dealer simply activate satellite radio and comfort access for you - is this NOT possible? I'd like anyones feedback on this - as there is a car that I am interested in which has everything except these two items and I was hoping there may be a way to have them activated/installed via dealer?
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    I did investigate and was told that comfort access is factory install only. Sat radio and ipod integration can be installed by dealer. I now have comfort access and the car is much more convenient to drive. The act of putting a key into slot and then having to push button is a waste of motion.
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    My lease for a 2007 BMW 525xi is coming up shortly. I am interested in the 2011 5 series understand it will not be available for another 6 months or so. The residual value on my lease is 31700, based on 30k miles, luxury package, cold weather package. Edmunds' dealer trade in value is 25000, one dealer offered to sell it back for 29500 straight up with no extended warranties or CPO, claiming they cannot go lower because BMW charges them more money for the car if they were to sell it to the current customers. It seems to me that BMW will actually loose more money if they had to take the car back and sell it at auction.

Some friends have indicated that the dealer will not seriously negotiate pricing until the day I go to return the car. I would appreciate if anyone can share their experience with the end of lease for 5 series and if they were successful in negotiating a price closer to the Edmunds dealer trade in value.

Many Thanks
  • two50mantwo50man Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 530i with 36 month lease ending soon. The car is equipped with Steptronic, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Navigation, Logic 7, Sat Radio, Split Rear Seats. Ski Bag (which I never even looked at). MSRP in 12/06 was $58,990. Residual on the car is $35,394. It has 40,000 miles on 45,000 mile lease. I just put $1,300 worth of 18" Michelin Sport A/S ZP tires on the car in August.

I can turn the car in and the Dealer will "re-sell" me this car "Certified" with 100,000 mile warranty for $33,900 and finance for up to 60 months @ 0.9%.

This seems to be a decent deal to me. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.
  • jasonz1jasonz1 Member Posts: 3
    so I know this new model coming next year, will this really worth the wait?
    by looking at the current 528i , I like it a lot, and my wife force me to buy a new one because she dont like anything that used. I did the search from spy photos, really can't see anything. so my question is, if the new generation will not have that much change, I will just go ahead buy now. However, if new deign are far different exterior and interior than current model. that will makes me think I really bought a older model by next year and I am pretty sure I wont be able to change it for another 3-4 years.
    so is it really worth the wait?
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    NOTE - comfort access cannot be installed by dealer . . . sorry for mistake
  • 335xict335xict Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate any perspective on this...

My local dealer has black/black 535Xi sedan pretty loaded up (m-pkg, etc)(however, it does NOT have Sirius or Comfort Access) which I really wanted. I'm pretty sure I can have the sirius installed via dealer - but Comfort Access needs to be installed by factory (I can prob live w/out this, if the deal is right).

Was told that w/ the upcoming redesign of 5 series - current in-stock inventory vehicles would be HEAVILY discounted. So I requested a quote on a specific vehicle and here is response from dealer:

>>Thank you for your inquiry in the 535ix we have instock. You are correct, with the upcoming redesign and the BMW Holiday bonus you can get a very aggressive price now on this car!
    The list is $60,350 and after all discounts and promotions we can offer it for $54,334<<

I'm not sure if this is a 'deep' discount w/ all things considered. I guess I was expecting at least a ~$5k discount from dealer alone due to redesign, PLUS $2500 BMW cash - but dont know if im being unrealistic?

So..I figured I'd post the situation for all of you to weigh in on before I respond to the dealer.

Appreciate any perspective you might have - thanks in advance for your help!!

-Jason
  • fineby40fineby40 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 2002 540i for $12000.00 It has 43000 miles. There is problem with the a/c compressor. Can anyone give me some feedback? Good, bad, or ok deal?
  • bornoborno Member Posts: 77
    fyi-dealers are selling at invoice, they should be willing to show you actual invoice docs. The holiday cash should be in addition. So, you are not getting a great deal!
    Also, 2011 redesign will be out early next year, and since the economy is still down, you should be able to get a good deal if you can wait, although you may not see all wheel drive til the fall.
    With the slump in auto sales, we are in a true "buyers" car market. Holding out for what you really want should pay off. Hang in there for a really great deal. You will know the great deal when you see it.

On another note, depreciation is a bear right now. Buying a 2008 or 2009 that has already taken the first big hits makes sense. The allure of the "new" 2010 is surely strong, but a 2008 or 2009 with under 25,000 miles will be a huge bargain -- and you are likely to get all the extra features you desire.

Just my two cents . . . hope it is helpful.
  • gmurthygmurthy Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am looking to get a new 2010 BMW 528 i xDrive (Monaco Blue MET) with the following:-

* 4-Way Front Seat Power Lumbar Support
    * Ambiance Lighting
    * Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirrors
    * Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
    * Dakota Leather Upholstery
    * High Definition Radio
    * Integrated 3-Button Universal Garage-Door Opener
    * Navigation System
    * Online Information Services
    * Premium Package
    * Real Time Traffic Information
    * Split-Fold Down Lockable Rear Seats
    * Through-Loading System
    * Voice Command System

The dealer website (in Massachusetts) lists the price at $52, 250. I am thinking of putting in an offer of $44,000. Since the new model is round the corner, is this a reasonable asking price? Can I go lower?

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks.
    Sounds like a really nice car. IMHO: I would say that starting out at $44k is worth a shot, but I suspect you will have to go higher to make a deal. In my experience, BMW dealers "protect resale values" by not going low on the sales price of new cars. Or, should I just say -- they are going to make a profit (and a good one). I have noticed recently excellent pricing on 2008 and 2009 certified, however, but not on new. Good luck!
  • gmurthygmurthy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks phylp. I will talk to the dealer and report back.

Thanks.
  • tomaimostomaimos Member Posts: 2
    Hi gmurthy,
    We are looking at a similar car in NJ. Please let me know how your negotiations go. We are thinking of making a similar offer. Good luck. We also wanted to include the extended 2yr maintenance program, but at a much lower price than their quote, which was$2,000. We found out that the average cost of maintenance for the this car is $250/year for the first 4 years. So, we are going to base our offer on these numbers.
    Best regards!
  • bimmerfan01bimmerfan01 Member Posts: 17
    Just signed a new lease agreement for a 2010 BMW 528i...Let me know what you think about the deal.

The dealer is located in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area.

MSRP $53,475

Premium Package
    M-Sport Package
    Xenon
    Heated Front Seats

Negotiated Price $49,475 (4K off MSRP)

Taxes: $3093 (Texas requires taxes on the full selling price)
    - $1629 (Tax incentive for trade)

Final Tax: $1464
    Fees: $324
    Acquisition: $725

Total Price: $52,013

Holiday Credit $2500
    Lease Loyalty $1500

Current Lease Balance as a trade: $23,200 Agreed upon value $24,000
    Note: My current lease had 3 payments remaining and 4K miles over lease agreement
    $800 Net Trade in Value

Total Incentive and Net Trade: $4800

Final Breakdown:

Price including tax title license and fees: $52,013
    Down payment (0 out of Pocket): $4800
    Money Factor .00283

Monthly Payment: $645 including taxes (1st payment due at signing)
  • l0m6905l0m6905 Member Posts: 12
    If you don't mind me asking what dealer in Dallas/Ft Worth? Did you order your car?

Thank You,
    BMW Dallas Girl
  • tomaimostomaimos Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I am looking for any information on recent purchases of the 2010 BMW 528 xi. I might be purchasing within a week. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Best Regards!
  • bimmerfan01bimmerfan01 Member Posts: 17
    Moritz in Arlington. Tried Autobahn, but their deal was not near as good as Moritz.
  • hospitalityusahospitalityusa Member Posts: 3
    Local dealer is offering 2008 525 CPO 20k miles with prem. pkg. for 31k$.
    has other 2008 525 CPO 21k miles with prem pkg, sport pkg for 34k$.
    Any thought on price.
    thanks!
  • josehbjosehb Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 528xi with Premiun, value an fold down seats at Bloomfield BMW here in NJ , the MSRP was $50,350.00, they sold it to me for $47,000.00 plus a $2,500 holiday discount on financing, so that's a final price of $44,500.00. This was by far the best deal out 5 dealers I called.

If you are in NJ go to Bloomfield BMW they have the lowes price.

And dont forget to buy this year to get the stimulus tax break, deductuble sales tax that is. For me that is another $800.00 when I file my taxes.
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    two50man,
    I have a CPO 2007 530i, with almost identical features except the split rear seats and ski thing (whatever that is). I bought it last June at Greenwich CT BMW when it had 24K miles on the clock, they were asking $36,900, and came down to $36,200. The car is pristine, and still smells new even. It runs beautifully and I love it. It has a set of Bridgestone Potenza low profiles on it, I have Sports pkg also, and the sport rims that come with it. I am wondering if my tires are
    "run flats" how can I tell? Since I have a donut for a spare, I have to assume I have the run flats? I s that a correct assumption? My dealer told me just the opposite, that if I have a donut, then I don't have run flats.

Can any one shed some light on it? Also, I read an article in the WSJ lately, that those same Bridgestone's are about $410 each. That seems like a lot of money.
    They are practically new, so I don't need to worry about it yet.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I don't think the 5-series came with runflats in '07... If it did, it would have been optional..

And.. your dealer is correct.. if you have a spare, then you don't have runflats..

(Your tires will have a runflat designation on the sidewall, if you do indeed have them..)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Run flat tires are not expensive at all, only about 10% more than regular tires, try COSTCO they can order then for about $145 each. no tire on earth should cost $410.00 each, at least for this kind of car, that sounds like a rip off.
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Do you see RFT abbrevation anywhere on your tires? If no RFT or DSST (typical for Dunlops) then your tires are not RFTs. I believe all sport package 18s were RFTs in 2007. My 2007 550 has Dunlop RFTs. BTW I do have a spare tire/
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Just checked tire rack - 2007 BMW 530 with Sport package:

Size: 245/40R18
    Runflat - OE BMW use only
    Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    Serv. Desc: 93WLoad Index 93 = 1433lbs (650kg) per tire
    Speed Rating "W" = 168mph (270kph)
    UTQG: Treadwear: 140
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A
    140 A APrice: $335.00 (each
  • nlkleinbergnlkleinberg Member Posts: 17
    Hmmm. stimulus tax break? Really? For everyone buying (i.e. taking delivery) this year? Got to remember this for my accountant (for whom I need to keep doing research). Thanks.

BTW, congratulations on the new car: is it a 2010 or 2009?
    Both prices are very good compared to what I saw in the Research Triangle NC area over the last couple of months, including non-CPO, for more than you describe.

Query: If this is a trade-in deal, have they given you good value for the trade? Are you financing with BMW? Is there room to get an even better deal. . . ?

Good luck.
  • rdargeniordargenio Member Posts: 3
    In this case, the dealer will not take the deal because it represents a huge loss....protecting resale values is generally not a consideration. I think buyer can reasonably expect to pay somewhere in the low 49000's on this car...before any incentives or rebates are applied.
    Well, forgive me for being a beat behind in my recent reply.

Congrats on a great deal!
    Excellent research, Sergey. Are those run flats?
    I figure if I go to a Town Fair Tire, I should be able to get away with upper $200's for maybe a Toyo or even Bridgestones. AGain, that was an article in the Wall STreet Journal.
    Who installs them? Does Costco install tires? I didn't know that.
    Thanks
    Yes COSTCO sells then at a great price and fixes flats for free as long as you buy from them.
    Thanks, Its a 2010.
  • hospitalityusahospitalityusa Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply.
    btw, i had no trade-in. No financing from bmw.
  • derwinderwin Member Posts: 8
    did u lease or pay cash?
  • irus_x5irus_x5 Member Posts: 15
    Hi All,
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 07 550i CPO with 8K miles (original msrp of 65K with options). Wanted to ask your thoughts on the following

1) final negotiated price of $37k
    2) Wheelguard tire and rim warranty for $1500. Car has run flat tires
    3) $2400 for extended maintenance program

think I will pass on the maintenance but am seriously considering the tire warranty.

Please advise
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    pass on them both.

$1500 will buy you a new set of 4 tires.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    That price is OK...mainly that low due to low miles, but remember, the warranty is also time limited. I got my 2007 550i CPO with 35k miles last Feb for $35k...its original MSRP was $70k.

pass on the wheelguard/tire.

If you want to get the maintenance plan, shop around. You can buy it later and I have seen it for as low as $1800.
  • irus_x5irus_x5 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you
  • resrchonlineresrchonline Member Posts: 3
    The dealer is putting MSRP price, the invoice price for this car should be 48,100. Since the redesigned model is around the corner, I think 45K-46K should be a good starting point. Any thoughts on this from anyone?
    Do you have any updates on this deal you were being offered? thx
    Hi, I am curious how your negotiations went. Did you make the deal at $500 over invoice or did you try a lower price? thx.
  • rezrez Member Posts: 41
    Hello, in the market for a used/ CPO '08 535i with possibly Sports, Premium and Navigation and mileage around 25K. Upgrading from a '00 Passat. A few questions. #1 I have noticed quite a few of these vehicles being manufacturer buy backs. Typically the ignition coil or the high pressure fuel pump were replaced and the vehicles are sold with the 4 yr/ 50K warranty with additional warranty on the replaced part. Are those good to buy? If so, at what price range??
    #2 If a vehicle has the Sports Package, the wheel size is 18" and the rear tire size is different from the front ones, which IMO, deprives one from taking advantage on getting a deal on buying a set of 4 tires. Please, advise if I should avoid the Sports Pkg, and opt for the 17" wheels.
    #3 Extended warranties and tire/ wheel warranties...are they mandatory as far as value goes, or are they good to have? Whats a good price for them?

Generally, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in the vehicle? Thank you in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    1) I would never buy a buy-back car.. Those cars were under warranty.. How bad was the problem, that BMW offered to buy the car back? If they could make it "good as new", then they wouldn't have had to take it back.

2) Tire dealers don't care if you have staggered sizes... they'll still make a deal on 4 tires.. But, the 18" tires are very expensive and wear very quickly... If you are concerned about tire wear and cost, stay away from the Sport package.

3) I've never bought one.. some people swear by them.... Keep in mind... any warranty/service contract is built to show a profit.... Chances are, you'll come out ahead without it, on average.. You might not, though.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rezrez Member Posts: 41
    Thank you, kyfdx.that was big help, cause i somehow got stuck on the buyback cars thinking I can get a better deal. eBay has a lot of them posted. Now Ill look at dealers. The 535i should be at a good bargain soon as the new model is coming out soon?