Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• firelight89firelight89 Member Posts: 2
    Hi i'm new here and i had a difficult question being a new BMW owner.

I am about to pull the trigger on a pre-owned 2004 BMW 530IA with 64,300 Miles. with a standard 90 day warranty for the dealer in NY.

1 owner, all highway miles, out of New york state, like Ohio or Maryland (I live in NY).

No smoker vehicle, gray on black interior, fully loaded Automatic with Cold weather package which has heated steering wheel, Xenon lights, navigation system, he says he just changed the tires not too long ago with continentals tires. Includes front and rear parking sensors, with rear climate control & memory seats for the front.

Has been serviced 4000 miles ago.

No crash history whatsoever, very clean carfax, with no dents scratches or any marks, inside or out. Looks very clean for a car with 64,000 miles.

the price on the car is $17900, BUT he knocked it only down to $17500 since im paying cash and doesn't even wanna budge with price, lower than $17500.

With tax and document fees (about $275 since its out of state car), the total is about $19340.

do you think this is a good deal, being these amount of miles?

how long should the car last me in miles if i maintain it?

i heard since its the first new body of this model that it sometimes have glitches or malfunctions in the car which BMW hasn't worked out yet?true?

And lastly how much does new brake pads cost individually, not to install but just to buy?

again this is my first BMW so any assistance with this purchase will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for reading my post!
  • rezrez Member Posts: 41
    One more question, please. If I forego the Sports package for the sake of the 17" tires, I'm also sacrificing is the multi-contour seats. Just wanted to ask if the regular seats are any good? Also, is there anything else I'm sacrificing with the sports package? I'm a 1st time bimmer buyer upgrading from a vw passat, so any advice would be appreciated, please
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    my 2 cents . . . i purchased a 2010 model with multi-contoured seats after driving a 2008 with standard seats. the difference between the seats and the level of comfort is noticeable. the standard seats are comfortable and adequate for sure . . . but the multi contoured seats are significantly more comfortable - particularly on long road trips
  • nlkleinbergnlkleinberg Member Posts: 17
    Yea, I did $500 over "invoice", with the caveat that invoice included Training Fee ($180) and MAACO ($300). I won't take delivery until late December at the earliest, at which time I'll decide if I want to lease, finance or buy outright. If either of the first two there may be some Holiday cash ($2500) available.
  • firelight89firelight89 Member Posts: 2
    my closing is tomorrow morning, about 10 am eastern, anyone have any suggestions or comments to my earlier post about this purchase i'm about to pull the trigger on.

any help much appreciated!

thanks.
  • freezedogfreezedog Member Posts: 11
    I own a 530 with the sports package. There are only two real reasons I prefer the sports package. One, the seats. The sports seats are a must for me. Second, the shadow line trim. I think it looks tons better than the silver trim. I could care less about the 18" tires and and sport suspension, although I am sure driving gurus would certainly prefer it. If I could have the sport seats in a 528 or 535 without the sports package, I would be tempted even if I did not get the shadow line trim. Just my opinion for what it is worth. Good luck with your new car.
  • phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    I bought a 2008 BMW 535i in October with about 26K on the clock - premium and cold weather packages, plus multi-contour seats. Wanted to say that when I looked at the tire warranty issue, I passed because the 17" wheels are pretty hefty as opposed to the 18" wheels that are more prone to damage. The dealer installed new Goodyears before my purchase. So, I went to Just Tires and bought their hazard protection for the tires. I am taking my chances as to the rims. To be honest, I have hit a curb and a pothole or two thus far with no problems, so I suspect all will be well.

Good luck.
  • irus_x5irus_x5 Member Posts: 15
    If you don't mind sharing can I please ask how much the dealer asked for the tire and rim warranty on your 2008 535? I just bought a 07 550i and paid $1400 for a 5 year warranty. Think I paid too much and have a 60 day cancellation policy. Not sure if it is worth it...
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    I paid $875 for wheel/tire insurance for 3 years/unlimited mileage last week when I've got my 2010 550. It is interesting though that while style 172 Sport wheels on 2010 550 are more expensive than style 124 that I had on my 2007 the RFT tires on 2007 are almost twice as expensive as 2010 non-RFTs

Note though that for around $1,200 you can get a set of new take off 124 wheels with tires.
    I was offered the three year tire warranty for $749, but the "starting" price was $799.

Also, I drive in a zone that has good roads and some, but not many, potholes in winter. If I were in NY/NJ, for example, I would definitely get the tire warranty with the 18s and probably for the 17s.
    Thank you. I didnt know that you could get the multi contour front seats without the Sports package! I dont want the 18' wheels, but want the multi-contour front seats. Is this combination pretty rare? :surprise:
    I do not know if it is rare, but I will say that the first thing that the salesman pointed out about the car was that it had the multi-contour seat upgrade. I was told that my 535i was first driven by one of the managers, then turned over to the loaner fleet. I have no reason not to believe that -- if I were that manager I would have made sure that the car had the multi-contour seats, too! The seats alone nearly sold the car.
    Wow, impressive! If you dont mind, what kind of mileage was on the car, and what price range did you manage to get it at? Also what colour is your car? Theres SO many options to look at its just overwhelming. This is my 1st time buying a pre-owned car after my college days.... :blush:
    No prob, I can relate. My 2008 BMW 535i is Platinum Bronze with light poplar, and had about 25,900 miles on the clock: NAV, Cold Weather and Premium Packages, the wonderful seats, etc. Certified. Paid $39,800. The dealer put on a brand new set of Goodyear Eagle tires, paid for a year of Sirius radio, provided new mats (carpet and heavy duty), did superb detailing. Very good buying experience overall, but a little steeper than I expected in this economy - but I am not complaining.

The purchase took a lot of research and comparisons. I checked the used inventory of the major BMW dealers in my state online for about a month. I also checked on the compatibility of our cell phones because the tech and Bluetooth features are very important to us and there is a short list of "officially" compatible phones. (Our Verizon Blackberry 8830s are not on the list, but they are pairing just fine.)

When I finally figured out the desired options and what I would be willing to pay, I got online quotes and also went down to the local dealerships to test drive. In the span of about a week (at the end of the month), I was satisfied enough to buy from a local dealer known for low pressure sales and a good service department.

This forum was very helpful to me, too. Please keep us posted.

Good luck.
    Shopped all weekend and found a CPO 2008 535i Alpine White with 30800 miles for $36880 with Premium and Sports Packages, Navigation and Satellite Radio. Does this seem to be a good buy? Also, I'm still confused on the warranty part of the CPO vs. non CPO. Can someone please fill me in on this? Do I still need to get an extended warranty if its CPO? :confuse:
    Sounds like a good price to me. Check out the BMW website for the details of the program, but CPO takes you up to 50,000 miles over or 2 years beyond (whichever comes first) the regular warranty = 6 year/100,000 mile total. It is important that you know when the car was put into service originally as that is the start of the time frame.
    Date in Service was 06/19/07 so warranty should be up to 06/18/13 or 100K miles whichever come 1st. On the extended warranty and wheel/ tire coverage area, should I skip both?
    I am not a warranty person generally, so I would pass on the extended warranty. I would definitely consider the tire warranty, however, if I were buying the Sports Package -- especially if it was offered at a decent price.
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Hi Rez,
    I can only tell you that last year when I was looking (DEC 2008) I came across a beautiful black sapph. 535i, 2008, CPO, with 27K on the clock. They had it listed for $39,900, marked down (big red sign) from $41,900. That car stayed on the lot about 3 months, I am sure they sold it for way under the $39,900. It had Sports, and all the other pkgs. I passed because I just don't want twin turbos. The extra parts surely would have to cause some maintenance, I'm just guessing. It makes sense, no? Also, I like decent gas mileage and I just can't see a 300HP engine with twin turbos getting great mileage, although many posters have proven me wrong.

I finally got a beautiful Alpine White, like yours, 2007 530i, 24K on the clock last June. It has sports, premium, cold, prem sound, NAV, blk leather, comfort access. Like a previous poster, I love the Sports Pkg because of the shadow line trim (black around windows, not chrome) and also the sport steering wheel, and sport rims.It just sets the car apart from the others. I love the car. Paid $36, 200 for the car. The car is and was impeccable. Warranty runs through June 2012. Everyone I know can't get over what a stunning vehicle it is. You don't see too many Alpine White 5 series.
    I don't have a clue about the tires. I have Bridgestone Potenza RFT's, I"m sure they're not cheap. I love the car and don't concern myself with how much the tires are going to cost me. Otherwise I would have bought a Camry. LOL.

Good luck with your decision, and keep us informed. Good to hear from you,
    Gardis in CT
    Thank You, gardis. Got your helpful points. Just want to clarify something about the turbo chargers. I have a 2000 Passat with a 1.8 Turbo. I got 30-32 MPG just because of the turbo charger. The non turbo engine is 2.8 and produces similar torque, but doesnt get even near as mpg as my turbo. So I thought that the turbo produces the extra torque but without the extra gas consumption. So in your opinion, do Turbo chargers cause more gas consumption?
    Hi rez,
    I am not technically qualified to judge the twin turbos on the 535. But it seems common sense that a turbo charged engine packing 300HP would have to consume more fuel than a 255HP in line six cylinder, no? I backed away from it because it was just a little too much power for me. I don't know how much a Passat weighs, but I doubt that it is as solid a vehicle as a BMW 5 series. I could be wrong. So that would affect your gas consumption.

Keep in touch.
    My 2008 BMW 535i is getting 24.8 mpg. So far, so good.
  • latribrilatribri Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a CPO 2008 528i with just under 20k miles and the following options: premium & sport packages, park distance control, navigation, real time traffic info, logic7 sound system, and satellite radio.

The asking price is $37k....I'd appreciate any thoughts on that price.

Thanks!
    That's a nicely loaded vehicle. I paid $36,200 for a 2007 CPO 530i with almost those identical options (sports, premium, cold, sound, and NAV also), 24K on the clock.
    So you are getting a vehicle that will have a warranty that runs until 2013 (in service was probably in 2007). I would say you could maybe get it for $35K-$36K, depending how bad they want to sell it, and how long it's been on the lot. The longer it sits, the lower they go - up to a point.
    When I did my research to purchase a 2008 BMW 535i in October, I reviewed 528i pricing, too. Sounds like a good asking price, but allow me to suggest that you consider going under that by a good amount with your offer as it is almost the end of the calendar year. The 2011s will be out in the spring. I suspect you could get into a 2009 CPO for not too much more, if you don't mind haggling. Yes, I am the eternal optimist. Good luck.
  • jdbmwjdbmw Member Posts: 3
    About 4 weeks ago I found a loaded (Sport, Premium, Cold, PDC, Navi, RFT, Sport Auto Transmission with Paddles, etc) 2008 535i Sport Sapphire Black with black interior on Ebay. The car had just over 5K miles on it and was like new. The listing was from a private seller selling his former wife's car. He was looking for $42K or more, but the high bid stopped at $35K on Ebay. I called him to look at the car and after driving it, negotiated a deal at $39K. Considering the car stickered at about $60K, I think I got a great deal for a nearly new car, although I would have preferred the CPO coverage buying from a dealer. Given the discounting going on in today's economy, was this a good deal?
    Yes. Great deal. A good extended warranty will be as good as CPO. Some of them will even cove Nav system
  • msundaram73msundaram73 Member Posts: 8
    Hello: I am a first time BMW buyer and would appreciate help in my buying decision. I have been focussing in the 2007 CPO 5 series, primarily because of the 0.9% APR and 2 months prepayments offer, and have liked a 2007 525i with 35K miles on it, and end of warranty in Dec 2010. Its not loaded as it has only the premium package, does not have cold package but has heated front seats, price qouted is $29,700, but the salesman told me that due to month end/year end, they woudl go down by 2-4% so the price could be as low as $28.5K. I am happy with these options but woudl like to hear your opinions on the $28.5K price or shoudl i negotiate lower or what else can I get in addition to $28.5 that the dealer may not mind parting with...i.e. in a way cash neutral for him...thanks
    i finally bought the car for $27.5K and 0.9% APR and BMW pays first 2 instalments. Does it look like a fair price?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you really-really like the car, it's a good deal. If you have no major issues after the warranty is over in a year -- it's a good deal. Having others on these forums evaluate your deal after you already bought the car serves little purpose except to open you up to pointless praise or criticism. Enjoy your new ride and happy new year. :)
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Shouldn't CPO extend the warranty to 6-year/100,000 miles from original in-service date, which I would guess Dec. 2006 thus give you warranty till Dec. 2012?
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    This car has not hit the lot is having four new tires and the BMW safety checks. They will be putting it for sale at $31900.0. What would be a sensible offer with the current 0.9% and two months paid. The car is in the Olivin Green with beige Dakota leather and Premium Pack. Thanks for the help.
    I am told that BMW have stopped production of the 2010 and that cars will not be available at such god deals as with the Mercedes E Class.
    Anyone heard any news on offers??
    I'm not sure how much bmw will discount cpo's, especially ones just going on the lot with new tires. Most shoppers have to work hard for a deal but who knows? My guess is that the 2 payments are all they are going to offer unless there is no interest for several months.
  • broncosfreaksbroncosfreaks Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a CPO - 2007 530XI with 19,600 miles, very clean. Navi, Cold Weather, Satellite Radio and Premium Package. Paid just under 35k for it, with the 0.9% and 2 months free. Was listed at $36,995. Amazing buying experience, never been treated so nicely at a car dealership.

Absolutely love it at this point, almost like having a brand new car for nearly half the price! Price sound decent? I sometimes see people saying they paid the mid 20s for these cars at auction, but I feel like this was a pretty fair price. Was also looking at a 2010 Acura TL...but with that starting at 44k (got them down to 40,100 for SH-AWD/Tech/HPT), it seemed like a no brainer to go with the 530xi with 30k left on maintenance, 100k CPO warranty, and overall a much nicer driving experience.
    Thanks, guess I really wanted a 530 and think the 525 should be under $30k. We have owned a 3 Series and X5 in the past and they make a fantastic car. I am also tempted to lok at one of the current lease deals on a new 528.
    Hi Broncos,
    Yes, that sounds about right. I have a 2007 530i pretty loaded with NAV, sports, prem, cold, and prem sound, comfort access, I ended up paying $36,200 with 24K on the clock. The car was and is impeccable. Has the Anthracite wood trim which is spectacular looking with blk leather. I think you did well. I have until June 2012 on the warranty.

I'm loving the vehicle, but my gas mileage has dropped a little since the cold weather, and i'm trying to get a grip on why. I'm getting 17mpg according to computer where as in the summer was getting a steady 20mpg. Highway it's great. Not a big deal, but I put premium gas in it so it would be nice to go back up to the 20mpg.

Good luck with your vehicle, and Happy New Year.
    Thats right jtla. The CPO extends it to Dec 2012 but I am cognizant that CPO warranty is limited in comparison to the original 4 year/50K miles warranty.
    I agree with you jayrider though I was just curious to know how I did. I actually started the post/inquiry before I purchased the car. Love the car so far. Happy new year to you all too.
    Congrats on your purchase. Thanks for keeping us posted.
  • robert010robert010 Member Posts: 5
    I am in CT and looking to buy a new 528XI with just steptronic and xenon in January.The MRSP with destination lists on BMW's webs site as $50,075.

I would appreciate any suggestions that forum members would be able to share about what price to expect. O should I seek to use one of the buying services (Amex, others?) in order to avoid a difficult negotiation (which I am never any good at :) ).

Or do people think I'm crazy and that I shoudl wait 9 months until the 2011 version of the XI is available in the fall?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and help.
  • nsoltznsoltz Member Posts: 11
    Remember that in this market, add $180 for Training and $300 for MACO to the invoice prices on Edmunds. I just bought a 2010 535xi wagon from Pace in Mamaroneck (same ownership as Greenwich BMW). I paid invoice + Training + MACO + $1000. I suspect you might be able to get a 528xi for between $500-$1000 over invoice. Act by end of business today (Jan 4) and you can get the $2500 BMW rebate. Need to finance it for 36 mo @ 3.9% but you can pay it off in 4 months if you like. No prepayment penalty is assessed.

The 2011 "F10" looks terrific. But I would be somewhat concerned about buying an unproven new model. However, with the BMW 4yr/50K maintenance, I would risk it. I could not hold off because I wanted a wagon and who knows if or when BMW will import the new wagon.

I wouldn't use a buying service because I would much rather look carefully at vehciles.

There really doesn't have to be difficult negotiation. Tell your CA you want to work from invoice up. Mine immediately printed invoice and said his price was +$2500. I said that I knew that $1K was a fair profit on a wagon. He was able to accept. We negotiated a bit over the trade and the hardest negotiation was with the wife.

Took longer for the marital negotiations than with the dealer ;)

She finally remembered something that her late father told me over 30 years ago: "If you want a car, just buy it."

Drove it home an hour later.
    Thank you very much nsoltz. That is tremendously useful info.

Was going to pay cash and did not think of the lease. What does the lease acquisition add to the costs so that one can access the $2,500 lease incentive on purchase? (I'd plan to pay it off in 4 months, as you suggested).
  • dafreak1dafreak1 Member Posts: 61
    Looking at a 2006 BMW 530xi with cold weather, premium and auto packages. It is a CPO car that I can get for $27,000. The problem that I see is that it has 55,000 miles. I am also looking at the same car with DVD Navigation System, Cold Weather Package, Heated Steering Wheel & Dual Heated Seats, Premium Sound Package, Premium Package, Automatic Steptronic and 40,000 miles that is not a CPO car for $28,000. Both carfax clean and one owner but the second one is not from a dealer.

Thoughts?
    Both cars are 2007's.
    No obvious answer but you might do national searches to guage what prices are on 07's that you are interested in. Give you a baseline to compare.
    jayrider, thanks for the response. The 40K mile car obviously seems like a better deal but it is not a CPO car. My brain is tired from searching websites for cars. Should the high miles be a concern?
    You need to ask someone who has experience with bmw's. Independent service isn't too bad but repairs can be costly. Are you ok with possible big expenses to have a driving machine? May not have any problems but you need to be comfortable with the possibility. There are a lot of decent new/almost new cars you can buy for 28k. Decision is up to you. The risk of expensive repairs deter you if you really want the bmw. It is part of the package.
    2010 5-series (E60) production did stop at 12/24/2009. The new 2011 (F10) will start production any time now. Good deals on 2010 will be available but you cann't order one to your spec. Will have to take one of leftovers.
    Went to a dealer today to buy 2010 BMW 528XI and was told no more are being produced. They had none and would have to find one in order to fulfill any orders for a new vehicle. But not sure that if they found one it would be a good deal or not.