Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 03qx03qx Member Posts: 91
    Is it good at any BMW dealer ?
    thanks
  • lakilaki Member Posts: 2
    The offer on 2010 535xi with premium package and navi is $47451 and $369 doc fee and tax. How much lower could the dealer go.
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    It's good at any BMW dealer.
  • jasonz1jasonz1 Member Posts: 3
    forget about the older model at any discount they try to get you, once you testdrive it, you will understand the difference. my dealer at chicago land said even new 528i will be shipped around sept, 2010, they all been reserved already, i can't get my hands on one most likely by Jan of 2011.
  • slammieslammie Member Posts: 38
    Looking to buy a 09' 535 wagon with 15k in miles along with following equipment: premium, sport, nav, cold weather, park distance, comfort access, 18 wheels ($600 new), manual shades, ipod, etc. Car stickered @ $68k. Car was bought @ auction by non BMW dealership in April 10'. Story is car was driven by a bmw staff person. Any suggestions for what price to shoot for? I have no idea what the auction sell price was, which makes it difficult to negotiate...
  • coolmarucoolmaru Member Posts: 3
    Well, bought it from BMW concord, CA. It is reasonably below msrp and it is very good. My wife who drives it mostly is thrilled at the way this handles over her honda accord which she promptly sold off. Overall, I'm pleased with the deal and the way the dealership has treated us. They have been calling every week inquiring about the car etc and are super responsive via email. This the first BMW we've owned and might not be the last.

Coolmaru.
  • coolmarucoolmaru Member Posts: 3
    wildcat, that is a great deal. All those would have set me back by another 2k I think. Taxes etc here in CA are huge. I paid exactly what you paid for your new car with taxes etc. My drive out was about 42.3k. So yes you got a good deal.

What was the color.? My wife liked the black sapphire metallic and we were lucky to get one quickly.

Coolmaru
  • dandydoniidandydonii Member Posts: 45
    Have been looking at CPOs for a while and I know every dealership is different...However, how much room for negotiation do you guys see in an 08 certified 528/535, assuming the dealership has not lowered its inital price yet?
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    jd -
    Good luck and congratulations! Enjoy your new car, I'll be waiting to see how you love driving it............take care.
    Gardis - CT
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Dealers make a lot of money selling CPO BMWs. I'd go into the dealer, drive the car you want, then make an OUT THE DOOR offer including sales tax & DMW fees. Don't be afraid to walk out. Don't let them bump you up. They have to sell the car just as badly as you want to buy it. CPO E60 5 series are a dime a dozen.

Make sure you get a copy of the vehicle's service records.

Aim for $5000 off asking price + tax + DMV fees.

Good luck & let us know what happens. You're going to LOVE your BMW.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• carbirdcarbird Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    Considering a 2011 528- Edmunds MSRP $53,175 Edmonds invoice $48,915. Since
    the car is new Edmunds has no "what others are paying".
    Any insight on how much of a discount from MSRP ( forget all other dealer tack on's)
    can be negotiated ? I can buy in NY or CT. Any recommendations for dealers who will
    give the best deals.
  • drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    I have been a loyal BMW customer for over 25 years. My 535i 2009 has had 2 dangerous "engine failures" while traveling at cruising speeds on major highways and bridges. The first repair was considered a" fuel pump defect." I was lucky not to be hurt in that first engine failure. However , the same thing happened again last week on the George Washington Bridge traveling in the left lane at 65 miles per hour. Luckily, I was able to move to the right lane and put my blinkers on going 15 miles an hour. Fortunately, there were no cars/ tracker trailers on my tail.
    The dealer has been very good with maintenance, however they suggested that I see if it happens again for the third time, and I said " not anymore". My safety and my familiy's safety is on the line here....I received my 328 loaner and called BMW of North America explaining the situation. It seems they know about this problem and I hope they will work this out with me to get me out of this dangerous car and re lease another one without these issues. Funny...I really liked my 2009 535i with a 6 speed etc....I hope to get another one. Maybe customer loyalty will really mean something here?
  • nsoltznsoltz Member Posts: 11
    Pace BMW in Mamaroneck or Greenwich BMW (same ownership and shared inventory) are the best. Just go in, offer them invoice (which includes training and maco) + $500. Tell them you do not want the $299 window etching which they seem to do on every vehicle. You will most likely get $1000 over invoice.
    I bought my 2007 530i at Greenwich BMW, I'm not really sure I got a great deal, but the car was exactly what I was looking for and then some, so I was satisfied.
    I'm amazed at some of the comments, some dealers calling to make sure everything is OK after the deal.......wow, I never had that. Maybe I got a survey via email from BMW, that's it. And sales crap. Never a personal phone call. I had it serviced at 30K miles at Darien BMW which is where I got my two previous vehicles, and it was wonderful to walk out of there and not pay a cent for the service.
    Could this be a problem with the twin turbos? Isn't that a new engine for BMW? I saw a beautiful 2008 535i at Bridgeport CT BMW that was sitting on the lot for about 3 months but I passed, because I just had doubts about those turbos. I went with the 530i, standard in line 6 cylinder and I love it.
    edited June 2010
    As much as I love my 2009 535i 6 speed, this is a MAJOR problem for this car.
    Apparently, I am finding out now that many owners of the twin turbo engines have had fuel pump issues. When this happens to you on the road, it is very scary and can be life threatening. Good Luck and smart driving kept me out of the hospital. It has happened twice and you know the phrase " three strikes and your out! "

I am not taking anymore chances. Buyers beware of this potential issue.
    Thank you nsoltz, I will check out Pace. Anyone have input on CT BMW dealerships
    and pricing ? Also, I notice all the 2011 5 Series have run flat tires. In the past I saw some bad reports on the tires, poor milage and ride and cracked rims. Are the tires/rims improved ? Or reports a minority of owners ?
    carbird,
    I bought two 3 series at Darien BMW and one 5 series last year at Greenwich. I like the service Dept at Darien, I've built up a good relationship with the service tech and I trust them. Listen, they all want to make money. Try them out both and good luck. Also try Bridgeport BMW, they have a huge inventory.
    I've never had any serious issues with my cars, thank goodness. But then, I stick with basic vehicles, I don't go for the real high tech stuff (twin turbos, etc.)

Re RFTires. I have them on my 530i, with sports pkg. I'm not sophisticated enough about the technicalities, but I've had no probs whatsoever with them. You cannot take one or two negative comments to mean that the class of tire is no good. Take the advice with a grain of salt.
    Thank you gardis, I will try your suggestions. I have decided to buy an XI 528 and noticed that Edmunds does not have MSRP or Invoice for this model. I found the numbers on a Yahoo cars site. 528 xi MSRP 48,250 Invoice 44,390 , plus options.
    Any other site I missed with accurate MSRP/Invoice pricing ??

Also hope someone will reply about the run flat tires. The base 528ix comes with 17"
    run flat tires, no spare. 17" ok for a basic driver ???
    Drgums - it seems you've experienced the dreaded hpfp (high performace fuel pump) failure, not once, but twice. This is not only a major problem, but a well known problem. People are having their cars bought back & even leases bought out. Check out the 335i board here on edmunds & bimmerfest.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Let us know what you get next. Keep us informed of your dealings with BMW.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    if it's out of warranty? Does that mean we should get the extended warranty if we are keeping the car to 100k miles and beyond? Is the fuel pump redesigned for 2011 model?
    In closely reviewing the 528 specs I see the standard wheels and tires are 17" with 225/55 run flat tires. I think 17" is too small. Does anyone have experience with optioning 18" wheels when purchasing a 528 ( or 3 series) ? And the upgrade price ? I don't see this option offered in the specs and would like some knowledge when visiting dealers.

Also comments on run flat tires. In the past they were disliked by BMW owners due mainly to wear and rough ride.
    Gardis, sorry I missed your comments on the run RFT's. Thank you. Any knowledge about upgrading wheel size from 17" to 18 ? My previous message. Your past input is appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    It looks like the 18" are only available with the Sport Package ($2200)..

But, you should check with a dealer.. sometimes, there are options available on ordered cars that don't show up on-line.... I would guess that if 18" were an option from the factory, they would be around $800-$900.. As a dealer accessory, probably $2000.

Why do you consider the 17" too small? Looks?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you kyfdx, yes I worried the car will look goofy ( for want of a better word). I have an A4 with 17" wheels they look just right , on a larger car I don't know . The dealer lots I have looked on are wiped out of 528's
    and I see only 18" and larger wheels. $800 upgrade would be ok as I don't need the sport option. Going to check out dealers tomorrow. Any further info is helpful.

Guess everyone thinks RFT are ok.
    Carbird,
    I have 19" sport rims on my 530i (2007) as measured from outer edge of rim straight across to outer edge (is that how you measure them?). They come with the sport package. If you get a basic 528, you will get basic rims, I don't know what size they are. The BMW rims are very very expensive, can easily cost over $2000 for a full set of 4, depending on the style. Go to BMW USA.com and you can check them out.
    I asked about that one time when I was looking at a 530XI which for some reason, had Sports pkg, but the standard 5 series rims (which I don't happen to care for).
    I don't know what they are talking about the "$800 upgrade" those sport rims are almost $800 EACH. Very expensive. Unless you go to after market rims, then that is something else. Let me know how you make out..........good luck.
  • lhn5lhn5 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2010
    Do you mean that the 535i are available now but the 528 wont ship until after the summer? If considering both how would you choose between the two? Also...if ventilated seats are important to me, how can i figure out the minimum other features are required to get that?
  • subenriesubenrie Member Posts: 5
    I got one 528 xi yesterday, got 6k on it. with premium pkg, Navigation , MSRP was 51,800

I paid $40,900 for it,, is it a good deal?

I'm pretty happy with the price. I just hate the rust on the brake, anybody knows how to clean it up?

thanks
    I had the same problem with my 2007 530i, nothing really you can do about it. After awhile you don't notice it. I called it to the attention of the dealer but they said it was normal. I had rusting on the lugnuts, but they changed those right away for me.
    I haven't even noticed it lately.
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    Are you saying the 2011 528xi will now have RFT? I own a 2008 and the RFT were not standard. I live in NJ and with the roads not being the best with potholes from the winter especially, this is a negative for me. I have a friend who has the 18" RFT on this 2008 335 and he is on tire #8. He's more than happy he got the tire insurance, but there is no give in the RFT's and when hitting a pothole, well........

I wonder if previously the non AWD 528's had the run flats. Does anyone know for sure? I haven't seen the specs on the 528 x-drive online. I heard you can order them from the dealer for Sept. delivery. My lease is up in Feb. 2011. :shades:
  • tuffluck1tuffluck1 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i am getting a 2007 530i CPO this week for 29k even. it is loaded with the premium package, nav. the only thing it does not have is the logic7 sound system. has 45k miles and 2/2011 is when the factory warranty expires and the CPO 2-year warranty begins. i think i got a really good deal. the other 530i on the lot has 30k miles and the price on that is 35k. less miles, but either way they both end their factory warranty in 7 months, and i will only drive probably 5k miles in that time anyway...

considered with the run flat tire issue. but i don't know if it was common on this year/model?
  • hailalmamaterhailalmamater Member Posts: 11
    I'm negotiating on a 2010 528xi exec demo with 10K miles, MSRP is $50K and I'm at a price of $37,750. Seems like a good deal but would appreciate opinions.
    I have been looking for a 2011 528xi and have seen a few 2010 528xi's. They are selling in the 40K range , well equipped. 37,750 seems good, but you must know what the options are on the car. For example leather package ( $1800) and premium package 2 ( $4900) MSRP amount to $6.700 putting the 528xi price over $55,600.
    Go to Edmunds new cars and spec the car out you will know exactly MSRP and Invoice. You can judge from there. If you do buy and are on the east coast would you let me know the dealer. I have been trying to get a quote on a 2011 528 xi and am told the "official" prices are not released yet. Good luck
    I already knew the options - the MSRP was $49,875. I actually got a slightly lower price on another 528xi, but it was a service loaner rather than a one owner, plus my wife didn't like the color.
  • jazzy15jazzy15 Member Posts: 9
    Just FYI folks....2008 535i around 40K miles. Prem Pkg, Cold Pkg, Navigation and a few others things (CPO and 100K Maint Plan).....paid $33K
    Hi guys, I'm changing the 2010 528 xi to 2011 535i, the MSRP is $56,000, with premium pkg, cold weather, etc. what should I really pay for it? the invoice is something around $51,100. I have to make decision soon, so any quick advice will be highly appreciated!!
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Great price Jazzy. We picked up a 2007 550i with 40k miles a year ago for $35k (CPO).
    subenrie: what is 528xi price? Do you need the awd?

I prefer the 2010 styling myself. You have to drive both to decide if you really need the extra power. We leased a 528i over a 535i a few years ago and didnt feel the extra $$$ / month was worth it.

If you are buying, better get a good price on the 528 as its value is already down.
  • jdbmwjdbmw Member Posts: 3
    Before you jump at the 2011 535i check out this months cover story comparison in Car & Driver with the 2011 535, Audi A6, and Infiniti M45....the 2011 came in LAST!
    (When was the last time you saw a BMW come in last in any C&D comparison???)

From what I can tell the 2011 is a step back from the 2008-2010 535is in terms of performance and handling. If you're looking for a mini-7 series though it may be worth the extra $$.
    Thanks for the advice.

the 2010 528xi we bought was a demo with 6k on it. we drove for a week and found a lot problems with that car. fortunately the dealer is willing to exchange the car for us. Currently it's hard to find a brand new 2010 model and the dealer offer us $53,160 (MSRP is $56,176) for a brand new 2011 535i. Should I go for it or should I look for another 2010 model?
  • gobears2gobears2 Member Posts: 23
    Hi all. I am in the market for a new/low mile 2010 535xi and I am hoping all of the buzz of the new model 5 series will create a "buying opportunity". Any recent purchase info would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter seeks to interview Southern Californians who bought a certified pre-owned car and love it. Please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 19, 2010 if you care to share your story.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You can get great deals on 2010. They have $4500 dealer incentive, plus over $4k margin. I got a exec demo for $12k off list, plus 2.9 financing for 72 mo
    wow..great deal! How many miles on the demo? what which model?
  • wildcat8wildcat8 Member Posts: 2
    Coolmaru, my car is alpine white.

As shown in my sales documents, my car was around 39.7K. So taxes and ttl etx cost about 2.8K in TX.
  • raven108raven108 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    hey jazzy, did you pay 33k out the door?
    I am currently in the market for an 08 535i but the dealers are pretty reluctant to lower their asking prices. they keep giving me the cost it cost them to repair/maintain the car to justify the none negotiable prices. did you get that when you were buying your car if so, how did you over come it.

thanks!
    buyers beware,,,I am about to be bought out of my lease on my 2009 535xi because of the "HFP stall/engine defective." I have been told that approximately 25% of the 2008- 2010 335 and 535 BMW's have this defect. It is real and dangerous.

check the various web sites regarding this issue. BMW is dealing with each customer on a case by case basis. I believe they are trying to avoid a recall.( They don't want a "Toyota like recall".)

It might make sense to go into a 2011 with the new single turbo engine that apparently doesn't have this problem.
    So we turned in our X3 on Saturday & the BMW CPO salesman sees our 2010 TSX and asks: "So you're leaving us?"

I told him yes, unless you have something with a sports package & 6 speed stick that's a fantastic deal.

He points me to an '08 CPO 550i with SP & 6spd w/ 30K. Asking price is $46K!

Thanks, but no thanks. Beautiful car though.

• mdx2008mdx2008 Member Posts: 13
    I just had my fuel pump replaced as well on my 2009. I am very disappointed. This is my 4th BMW but may be my last.
    I looked at a 2008 535i at Bridgeport BMW (CT) in December of 2008, asking $38,900 vehicle had 27K miles on it, looked impeccable with sportspkg and the sports rims.
    Something about those twin turbos made me hesitate, and I'm glad I did. I ended up sticking with what I know: 2007 530i, with BMW's in line 6 cylinder. I'm getting nearly 20mpg city driving, and love the vehicle. Sorry to hear about these problems, I'm surprised. Dont' quite understand why BMW felt they had to introduce a new engine, they have great engines already, why twin turbos? How much power do you need, guys, come on.