Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    you live in CT right? I just moved here about a month ago. You NEED more power for all those short on ramps on the Merritt & to pass on all those glorious sweeping uphill curves.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    well the 530i has a bigger engine than the 528, and it's plenty for me. And anyway you see how much trouble all that power is bringing? I'll do without it. The in line 6 cyl is a great engine. They got all the kinks out of it now.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    well the 530i has a bigger engine than the 528...

Which 528?

The newer 528 has a 3.0 litre engine, just like the 530.... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• salamigssalamigs Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a 2011 550i, and was wondering whether there is anybody who can give some insight into the pricing. The MSRP for the well equipped configuration I am interested is $79575, with the invoice $73019. The best offer I have so far (dealer in Portland Oregon) is $76500.

Any thoughts on this?
    The only thoughts I can give you are from what I know from driving this amazing vehicle during BMW's Ultimate Drive Event. Whatever you pay, it will be worth every penny. Torque comes on instantaneously. Handling is brilliant. The ride is smooth. Triple digit speeds come up very fast. If the 550i had wings, it would fly. Best of luck to you. I'm jealous

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jazzy15jazzy15 Member Posts: 9
    Raven108 My price was 32,650 with no other dealer fee's.... BUT TAXES, TAGS, and STATE REGISTRATION fees were extra.
    I found the ONLY way to make them budge was to visit in person negotiate HARD then leave telling them you are going to another dealer (and do) the same day and repeat. The the next day compare notes and when each calls you (they will)....offer them a price that you think based on your research is low, but not totally off the wall.
    I can tell you for a fact that by negotiating hard with the dealers on what CPO costs them and reconditioning costs, it became clear there was a mix of truth and BS in the whole thing.....
    Only way to get the best deal is to have a few cars that are somewhat close in mileage and equip and force them down.
    The final price I paid would have been less than all the costs they told me they had (which means obviously the costs they told me were not accurate).

Hope this helps.
  • neil55neil55 Member Posts: 9
    It appears that the invoice on your car is 47,060.
    So your price was 7300 below invoice ? That is a fantastic price.
    My understanding was that with the 5500 cash to dealer , a good target price would be 5500 below invoice.
    Any tips on getting a deal liek yours ? feel free to pm me if you wish.thanks
  • neil55neil55 Member Posts: 9
    Please advise as to what is a good target price for a new 2010 e60 535 ?
    My first thought was 5500 below invoice to take into account the cash back but I have noticed some mention of better deals.
    Having said that , there have not been recent sales reported on this board so no good comparisons
    Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  • moonshine73moonshine73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi-

I have a 2008 535Xi with this major issue- almost killed me twice!

My dealer is dragging their feet- says they are working on a trade assit deal- but no numbers yet.

what should I expect- if I get a raw deal any contacts at BMW I should reach out to???
  • dl_amgdl_amg Member Posts: 57
    We just bought an used one year old 2010 550i w/7k on it for $49500 + local tx. Car has a MSRP of $72k+ and is local neighbor city car. It's not CPO coz we got it at MBZ dealer. I thinks the deal is excellent as its about $22k below MSRP. Happy motoring.
  • jdcowboyjdcowboy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 335 which is a great car, but the fuel pump issues are horrible. I see that the the 2011's went to a single turbo vs. the twin for my car. I am working with BMW on a possible buy back of my '08 and would consider the 2011 535 if the fuel pump issues have been resolved. Can anyone give me any informaton on this?

Thanks.
  • mblack78mblack78 Member Posts: 7
    Has anybody heard when these vehicles will become available. I've only heard "maybe sometime in October"
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Is this proper place to post what deals you found on ED. The ED thread is basicalLy dead. If you respond on ED car you purchased since 1/1/2010: please post which dealer and how much over or under dollars deal you made compared to the ED stated prices ( not compared to the US MSRP dear prices). Thank you.
  • agileagile Member Posts: 3
    Just factory ordered a 2011 535i for $55,900 + fee & Tax, MSRP is $58,200, is it a good deal?

This is the spec:
    Black Sapphire Metalic
    Everest Gray Dakota Leather
    Dark Wood Trim
    Dynamic Handling Package
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
    Split fold-down-rear seat
    Destination & Handling $875
  • scottw58scottw58 Member Posts: 38
    You should be at least $200 over invoice. That is the deal I'm seeing now through my buying service. I just ran your specs through it and it says $54,430 (no haggle price).
  • knasirknasir Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010
    I've been reading posts on this forum for some time and I have read some very useful information. So, yesterday I went to take the plunge on a 2004 530i with 56,000 miles at $20,990. The car is at BMW dealership, but no CPO secondary to year and mileage. I need a larger car b/c my wife and I just had our first child, which means I will have to get rid of my MINI Cooper S. :(
    The car looks clean, drives well, Carfax is clean with two previous owners, and appears to have no major issues. Could a BMW guru please check out the link below from Cars.com and give me their opinion? It would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listin- - gId=49869109&listingRecNum=3&criteria=prMx%3D25000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26- - mkId%3D20005%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20470%26mdId%3D20496%26mdId%3D20498%26mdId%3D- - 20500%26mdId%3D36963%26mdId%3D20502%26mdId%3D20481%26mdId%3D35050%26mdId%3D21396- - %26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-yrId%26zc%3D21- - 220%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-9-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26- - yrId%3D20143%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national
  • mdx_fan1mdx_fan1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi , it seems a little expensive , you should consider a 2008 528i CPO, with this you will be getting the $1500 payment credit from bmw also
  • rrr1rrr1 Member Posts: 3
    Pretty much the same specs incl. the colors but I factory ordered the 'xdrive' back in Sept first week for $1000 over invoice. The difference between 535i and 535ixdrive is around $1500 and is well worth it. Only problem is that it took 6weeks (I could track it online) and got a phone call yesterday (Saturday, Oct 16) that the car has arrived. Can't wait - but, I thought if you want you can possibly upgrade to an xdrive. I was not going to haggle for a few hundred dollars esp when you are shelling down almost $60k! My three cents...
  • infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    Also be aware of the scheduled maintenance expenses that can be significant for a BMW that old.
    The prices I found were between $17,000 - $20,000, so the price is not far from this range. It's more about the total price and the monthly payments. 2008 is out of my price range. Is that also the N series engine with the HPFP problems?
    edited October 2010
    Infinitmn -

This got me to thinking about the extended warranty to 100,00 miles. However, I have read that self-insuring may be the better way to go b/c the things that tend to go are the water pump and radiator/thermostat before 100,000 miles. This may run me between $2,000-2,500 dollars total which is less than the warranty would cost. Any thoughts on this?
  • mdx_fan1mdx_fan1 Member Posts: 11
    the 535 engine has the issue , however bmw has covered it for 10 years/100k miles
    the 528 engine does not have the issue , and it is same as the 530 engine
  • smokee2smokee2 Member Posts: 6
    Im looking into purchasing a CPO 5 series. The Dealers in my area are currently offering a CPO special of .9% financing, $1500 off the price or 2 years of free maintenance. It seems like the maintenance is the best value, but the dealer just informed me that the free maintenance option requires me to finance through BMW, which has rates roughly 1.25% higher than I can achieve with AAA. The payment itself is one thing, but I'd also like to know if there are prepayment penalties and any other costs related with financing with BMW finance on a CPO

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
  • jaywayjayway Member Posts: 2
    I am negotiating with several dealers to buy a 550i in the greater Boston area. I plan to buy the last week of Oct. Because of the options I want, the car needs to be ordered. The prices I have gotten in the first round are $4,800 under MSRP, which is $900 over Edmunds invoice price.

Admin doc fees are in the $300 range.

Questions:

How does this pricing compare with other deals?

Any recommendations for dealers in the Boston or southern NH areas that provide lowest pricing?

Thank you!
    I just did CPO in July and got the free maint to 100K. I had to finance a minimum of 10K to get the deal and pay their commercial rate which was about 7%. I was told I could pay off the loan after 4 months and still have the maintenance for free, but I have not tested that yet.
  • smokee2smokee2 Member Posts: 6
    Good info

I figured their would be a minimum loan amount and some type of early termination clause.

Besides their commercial rate, were there any other finance charges you can recall?
  • vandykuttyvandykutty Member Posts: 15
    I am looking to purchase BMW535ix Drive, please advise me the best price I can get in NJ/NY area
    Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to talk with someone who is deciding between a new Lexus, BMW and/or Mercedes. Please email pr@edmunds.com asap with your daytime contact info, your city and state, and the vehicle models currently under your consideration.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• esmcmahaesmcmaha Member Posts: 1
    Just looking for some input on my upcoming decision. My '08 550i comes off 36 month lease in 9 days. It has 33k miles on a 15k/yr lease. The car has never been damaged and is in near perfect condition. Residual is $41k, with taxes ~$44k to buy. I have arranged 3rd party financing at 3.99%. However, $44k seems a little steep to me given what KBB says. While discussing this with a local dealership, I noticed they had an '08 550 CPO (22k miles) on the lot listed for $43k. So one option is to turn mine in and buy that one if they won't drop the price. Other options, according to the dealer, are to get it certified and they would finance at 2.9%. OR, of course they happen to have a new 550 on the lot that they'd be willing to finance for 3.9%, 60 months, no $ down, monthly payment just over ~$1k (I didn't ask the sell price at the time b/c frankly a new car wasn't even on my mind). Thoughts?
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    actively considering 2011 MB Eclass 4MATIC and 535xi
    forward your email so I can send you the requested info
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    edited November 2010
    Respond to pr@edmunds.com

If you see a red X, that's where the "at" symbol goes..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I think your best option is to call your salesperson (client advisor) and see what they'll sell you the car for. They can buy it back from BMWFS at an auction price and resell it to you cheaper than BMWFS will. You can save yourself a lot of money by doing this.

Now, how do you get a price to negotiate with? There are a few boards here on edmunds town hall that will help you out.

REAL WORLD TRADE IN VALUES - Type in the years, make, model, color, options, condition... and there are actualy car salesman that will give you a very good estimation as to what your E60 550i is worth.

BMW 3 series - Prices Paid - I know this is a 3 series board, but there is a member named gbrozen who has a subscription to GALVES (the auction in the northeast) and can look up for you how much the last cars similar to yours crossed the auction block for.

After you determine a price and negotiate with the dealer, bring the car into the service department for a Pre Purchase Inspection. If the car is going to need new tires (to qualify for CPO), then buy new tires so the dealership doesn't have to. If the car is going to need brakes or a service soon, see if the dealership will do it and this way BMW pays them for the warranty work (if they have to replace the brakes under CPO, then it costs them money).

Good luck & keep us posted.

Just so you don't think I'm pulling a rabbit out of my hat... We turned in an '07 X3 at the end of July. BMWs buyout was $26K & change. The dealer offered to sell me the truck for $21,600 + CPO + Tax. I turned them down, because I didn;t want a second car payment on a 3 years old 45K mile BMW.

• bett12bett12 Member Posts: 7
    Hello, I'm new to this forum, and BMW's in general. I am thinking of purchasing a CPO '08 528xi, much to the dismay of my husband. He says maintenance costs are always 4 figures and upkeep is too high. I have heard good and bad, and after reading a lot of these posts I am still confused. The cars I'm considering are 1-owner, between 39,000 and 45,000 miles, ranging in price from $33,4 to $36,2. Any thoughts either way anyone can share? I live in MA.
  • phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    We bought a certified pre-owned 2008 BMW 535i last October. The car is a joy! Maintenance costs so far have included an alignment, at the cost of $175 -- which is high for that service. Otherwise, a little indicator light comes on telling us to get service, we go to the dealership, and leave without paying a dime because, frankly, we have already paid for the service in the purchase price. The plan is to trade up to a 2011 around this time next year. Without hesitation.

Allow me to suggest buying the lowest miles and only from a reputable dealer who will stand behind the car and help you advocate if there are any warranty issues. All dealerships are not created equal. Go out of town if you must. Also, after the test drives, we did almost all negotiating via e-mail. Much more pleasant.
  • bmwbhpbmwbhp Member Posts: 2
    For Nov is it still .00023 and 57% even with the holiday 1500 gift card? Car is about to arrive before month end... Appreciate the help! Thx
    In July I got 2008 535i, Nav, Premium, Cold Weather, upgraded seats for 32.5K. Prices you are getting are too high. If you finance it at regular rates (or part of it) they will incl no cost maint to 100K miles.
    What was the asking price?

It was like $35K or so. THe car had 41K miles.
  • gobears2gobears2 Member Posts: 23
    Looking to purchase. Any recent price quotes? Please detail vehicle options.
  • croni003croni003 Member Posts: 14
    Greetings.

I am 60 days out from the lease end of my 2007 530i with 31k miles onboard. Residual value is 16,950. In considering my buy out options I am trying to figure out what is the reasonable cost of the CPO tag. I visited a dealer today and they were nebulous with details but quoted me a selling price of 21,250. The car has tires with <10k on them and don't likely need to be replaced. Essentially, this amounts to a $4,000 certification for an extra 2 years on a relatively low mile car. Does this seem to be a reasonable fee? Thanks in advance

John
    For starters, your residual seems low. You did not say whether you had option packages or not, but even for a base model, both your resale and your dealer sell price are low. If your car has premium pkg and nav, I would say that your dealer would be looking to get high 20's for the car....less without these.
    Jazzy15,
    This was a special situation where I leased a lease return. Part of the appeal was the low residual value since at my lease inception as I was considering buying the car outright. (530i w/ sport package, heated seats, premium seating) The lease manager tells me that they would essentially have to buy the car from BMW FS for more than my residual. Not sure that I buy that but I'm getting figures of 3,000-4,000 to CPO it. Seems steep to me and considering the low mileage and reliability I have experienced I am considering just buying it outright. Any alternative view points are greatly appreciated
    I too wanted to know what the 'CPO' stamp costs. I got figures all over the place when I shopped, what I found out was they consider the CPO designation adds 3K of VALUE to the car, but they don't PAY 3K. Its been a few months but I remember their costs as being between 1-2K.
    The bottom line I found out in negotiating was if I talked to multiple dealers and asked the same types of detailed questions and went back and asked the same people the same questions again a few days or a week later, they could not keep track of what they previously told me and I would be able to figure out what was fact and what was baloney.
    Anyway, if the residual on your car is what you stated, and you can buy it out for the residual I would take it. You can keep it, or sell it yourself for more.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    I tracked maintenace costs for my 2002 530i and found that my costs in lieu of extended warranty and extended maintenance plans were approximately 50% of the cost of the plans; approximately $1700 versus $3500. I think you can anticipate $1500 to $2000 in maintenance costs that the CPO program would cover.

Other thoughts, if you are the original owner, your maintenace costs should be lower than average.

If your car is an automatic, your maintance costs may be higher. An automatic transmission will make it to 100k miles without service, but if you intend to keep the car beyond 100k miles you should service the transmission at 50k-60k miles.

Finally, CPO and extended maintenace and warranty plans have overhead costs and profit built in that guarantee that most people are better off self insuring.
    if your residual is that low, & you've had no problems with the car, then I'd buy it outright. You won't find anything you like in that low price range, + the car is still covered under the original 4 year/50K warranty for a little while longer.

Keep us posted!

you still have that E39? How many miles are on the clock now?

Thanks for all the candid advice. I am planning to buy outright at this point pending my discussions this week with the service advisor to see where I am with major service needs.
  • kwopkwop Member Posts: 4
    Get a certified preowned one and extend the free maintainance to 100,000. Maintainance is paid for. I had the same car. Great. Hated to give it up when the lease ended.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Just passed 165k miles. Replaced the brakes and catalytic converters last winter, still on original clutch and struts/shocks.
  • z00tvz00tv Member Posts: 1
    I just went through this about 6 months ago when I bought out our 07 525xi - the dealer told me it is roughly $1650 to CPO the car... I have a feeling that they didn't do much of anything considering the tires were less than spec, and there was a huge crack in the window... In one way it was good as I would have had to shell out some money for new tires and to replace the window, on the other hand they really didn't do anything but give me a checklist showing they "Certified" the car, and that I have warranty to 100k miles.