Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• adduaddu Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2011
    Guys,

I am new to BMW. Looking into 2011 528i and would appreciate any advise on pricing and some general information

- Based on people's experience in this forum what would be a great deal on the purchase of 528i, Premium, Sports, Navi, Rear Camera w/ Parking dist contrl. MRSP 53.5K

- I am still debating on wether or not it is worth spending extra 2K on sports package. Is there an option to get the sport package style 328 alloy wheels by themselves ?

- I have been driving Japanese cars. Last purchase was an MDX and have never bought any extended warranties or maintenance plans with no regret. I have heard scary stories from acquaintances about BMW though (after the 4 year program). Is it worth the money ? I am no heavy on miles. 10K annual and am afraid if I go with any plans, I will run out of time before miles. WHat options do I have ?

Appreciate any feedback.

Addu
  • bimmerfastbimmerfast Member Posts: 2
    A dealer has offered to sell the car for Edmunds 'TMV' price, + state inspection fee $65 + gas fill-up $75 + detailing for delivery $196. Can anyone tell me if 'detailing the car for delivery ' is a valid charge?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Detailing for delivery? Gas? You have got to be kidding. State inspection fee is legit though.
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Addu, I can address the sports rims. I have a 2007 530i with sports pkg, and I love the rims I have, which are distinctive from the basic rims, as you have described. Also, with sports pkg you get the solid black trim around the windows, instead of that chrome trim, which also makes the car look sporty (the black trim I'm talking). Try going on the BMW north america website, and look at all the rims. You will quickly come to the conclusion after you see the pricing, that the $2K is the cheapest option. Personally I would not go with the extended warranty, they're very very expensive and if you don't need it (you might very well not need it) it's a total waste. Why not just put that same amount of money into an escrow savings account or something, and keep it there in case you need to make a repair. These are good solid cars, not that they don't need attention. But I think the scare stories are way overblown.
    Good luck, let me know what your decision is.
    Gardis in CT
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    It really doesn't matter how he breaks it down... He doesn't care about TMV.. He wants a certain amount for the car.

If you think that amount is fair (in total), then grab it... If you think you should pay less, offer less..

TMV, gas, detail, inspection... all just serve to keep your eye off the real number..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks Gardis. I missed the magnification feature on BMW website. Looking at it closely I think I will skip the sports package (just personal preferrance on the sporty appearance)

So now I am looking at 528i metallic ext, premium, navi, rear view camera w/ parking distance control. Anyone got information what the best price is on this forum for this configuration ?

Addu
  • bimmerfastbimmerfast Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the replies, ponytrekker and kyfdx. I'll try & negotiate some more, and see what happens.
  • rezrez Member Posts: 41
    I am experiencing something that's astonishing! I was negotiating on an '08 535i CPO. I have placed the above offer, but the dealership cannot accept it, but has made a counter offer. The counter offer is that they will sell me the car stripping it from CPO status. In other words, they will sell it to me at my offered price without the 100K mile CPO warranty, and just as a regular used car. Can they do that? I didn't agree to it. The car is now changed on their website as a used car and not a CPO. I am totally dumb founded on this and would like to hear everyone's expert opinions/ advice here. :mad:
    Generally.... once a car is entered into the CPO program, it is supposed to stay that way.. BMW doesn't want the dealers to advertise a car as CPO, until it has been certified, re-conditioned, and entered into the program (with the dealer paying BMW for the CPO warranty).

That doesn't mean it always happens that way.... and, it doesn't mean that they can't de-certify it for someone that really wants the car, but doesn't care about the CPO, but it's rare.. None of that is illegal.. .it's just between them and BMWNA..

Obviously, you wanted a CPO car... I'd just tell them you aren't interested in any offers that don't include CPO... They are just trying to put you on their number.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rezrez Member Posts: 41
    Thanks kyfdx. That's what I was thinking too. The desperate salesperson kept calling me daily even though his mgt didn't agree to my offer. First he asked if I would split the difference. When I dodn't agree to that either, then they told me about buying the car without the CPO at my offer. Sales tactics? Go figure!!! :sick:
  • defunct00defunct00 Member Posts: 4
    Wondering if this is a good deal.....?

I live in NY. Lease offer for a 2012 535I X Drive 36k mi lease.

Prem package, Prem Package 2, Sports Package

$2000 down includes first monthly payment, security deposit, reg and title

$780 per month
  • clymerclymer Member Posts: 13
    Hello everyone,

Just wanted some feedback on my offer to purchase the below specified vehicle:

2011 535xi

Dark Graphite II over Cinnamon Brown
    - Cold Weather Package
    - Fold Down rear seats
    - Anthracite Headliner
    - 4 Zone Climate
    - Heads Up Display (HUD)
    - Sport Auto Transsmission
    -Park Distance Control
    -Navigation
    -Heated Front Seats
    -ipod/USB adaptor
    -Convinence Package
    -Comfort Access
    -Dynamic Handling Package
    -Multi-Contor Seats
    -Premium Package
    -Premium 2 Package
    -Rear Sunshades
    -Sat Radio
    -Sport Package
    -Sport Automatic Transmission.

The offer was for $64,245. Please offer some feedback regarding the price. Thanks in advance!
  • mdxloveitmdxloveit Member Posts: 2
    Bought 535i with Premium 1 and Premium 2 package this week. Awesome car. Very happy.
    I paid invoice and also got $1K discount for the BMW Team Olympic event. I bought it in the bay area.

Cheers
  • muddin6902muddin6902 Member Posts: 3
    Bought 2011 BMW 535I, Alpine White with Venetian Beige interior leather with the following:

Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, Premium Package, Automatic, BMW Apps, Free Window Tint, wood trim, smartphone integration
    Total MSRP + Destination = $59,625, Paid $54,250 on July 30, 2011 at Moritz BMW at Arlington, TX.
    They have inventory reduction going on now and very eager to deal. Deal took about 4 hours to finish as I was looking at leasing a 335.
  • djdeepdjdeep Member Posts: 1
    Anyway you can send me who you talked to, Muddin? I'm planning on going in this weekend and getting one myself.

Thanks in advance!
  • thassthass Member Posts: 2
    Wow, now THAT'S a deal:).
    Can I ask where u got it?
    I am in the same process, but my deal is only:

Nav
    Cold weather
    Parking distance control
    Backup camera

For $660/month without tax
    Nothing down
    Only inception and tax!

That premium package 2 would be nice!

Thanks
    Moritz BMW at Arlington, Texas
  • ndovarasndovaras Member Posts: 8
    Amrhalem,

I'm looking at the same car 528i CPO with 31K in NYC. They want $35K, it seems you got a great deal at $26K (am I reading that correct)? Out of curiousity, what were they listing your car for? I'm wondering if it was along the same lines as this one. Also, do you know if other dealers will service the car through the CPO program? I live in CT but found the car in NYC, like to have car serviced locally if possible.

Thx.

ND
  • ndovarasndovaras Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone out there know if I can have a CPO car serviced by a dealer other than the one where I purchase it. I ask because I work in NYC but live in CT. I'm looking at CPO cars in both locations, if I purchase in NYC I may want to have serviced in CT. Sometimes dealers don't like to service cars (under warranty) that are from another dealer. Do any of you have experience with this?

Thanks!

ND
  • hurstianhurstian Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 2011 BMW 528i with premium,heated seat and sat radio for $44,900. MSRP is $48,575. Price already include the $1,000 customer cash. Is it a fair deal?

Thanks
  • coolseaglecoolseagle Member Posts: 3
    what would be a good price for 2011 BMW 528i with Premium 1 & 2 package?
    MSRP = $52,625
    I am in Los Angeles.

Thanks
    the best I have seen so far is:
    MSRP*.94 - customer cash.
    In your case it is between $48,000 to $48,500.
  • rags4026rags4026 Member Posts: 17
    If I google search for "bmw 535i pricing", the first link that comes up says "$6,000 off MSRP BMW 535i - + No Charge NAV System + 2.9% APR" from www.bmwsf.com. BMW website too says "$1,730 Option Credit available.". Thats close to $8k off msrp. Has anyone managed to get this deal?
    Where do you see "$6,000 off MSRP BMW 535i - + No Charge NAV System + 2.9% APR"? I can't find it from bmwsf.com. Can you post the link?
    That's very good deal if you can get it.
    In dallas, dealer won't even talk with me if I offered $1,000 over invoice:(
    edited August 2011
    Its an ad on google. Just google for "bmw 535i discounts". The first link in the yellow Ads box says so. It is not there on their website, So I am assuming that this is an AD they posted on Google AdWords.
    I still can't find it. However, my local dealer is offering $43,888 for 2011 528i with MSRP of $48,765. That's like $5,000 off.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    I am in Canada. Thinking of a 2012 535iX with Sport Package (if offered in 2012, salesman said maybe only with M package) and Executive package, upgrade seats, 19 inch wheels, etc.

I think the amount they are offering on my trade is reasonable, it is a 2008 328 Cabriolet. They are offering half of the price paid and it is 4 years old.

I am in Canada so our prices are higher, it is not easy to translate pricing. But the new car would be $Xs or $72000.

What kind of a discount can you expect to get on these cars. Would 4%or 5% be reasonable?
    I can do some research and try to find the invoice price, but not sure that will be available to me.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    does anyone have information on the 2012 xi? what is new? have they fixed the take-off problem with the transmission?
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Does anyone have a link to the invoice prices for the 2011 5 Series? Also, I hear the new 528 will have X Drive and a 4 cylinder twin turbo motor. Is this correct?
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    To read about the 2012 528i 4 cylinder turbo go to:

You can find more info if you put 2
    "2012 535 4 cylinder" on your Google search.

Sounds good, 245 HP instead of 240 with the 6.

Might not actually come out until January or February.

If you want to test a 4 cylinder you could test drive an X1

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

i decided to order the black interior with the black sapphire exterior. ordering tomorrow. also think i got a pretty good deal:
    premium 1, premium 2, sports package (not M), convenience pkg, cold weather pkg, smartphone integration, split fold down seats. 61,000 . . .

thoughts?
    Invoice price for this config is $60480. Looks like a pretty good deal
  • twallbarriertwallbarrier Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Is this a good deal

MSRP 61172
    Sale 55161
    Total with 6% tax and tags 58977

3254 + first month

36 month 12K miles per year lease @ 746 per month
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    Dear BMW,

I love my AWD 2006 530xi with a manual tranny. I bought it in August 2005, as soon as you released a 5 series with AWD (I live in New England). In spite of lots of problems in the first year (I will never buy first year models ever again), and having had to replace the water pump recently ($1300), I still drive it with joy after 86,000 miles. We like BMW so much that we have had two X5's since then (a 2007 that we replaced recently with a 2012).

Why do I love my 2006 530xi?
    Manual tranny
    AWD
    Nimble and agile feel
    Great steering
    Great gas mileage (I can do 33 mpg on the highway in 6th)
    Great styling (to me, and lots of my friends and family)

With great excitement I drove a 2011 535i today, and I am depressed. Why have you abandoned us BMW -- your faithful core customers who keep coming back to you?

I could never buy the 535i because you took away the manual transmission (forcing me to buy the 550i is not the right answer), gave it lifeless steering, gave it a heavy-feeling and floaty ride (unless, I assume, I spring for fancy sport-inducing electronics), and made it look like a 7 series (if I wanted to drive a huge car I would drive the 7).

What do I do now? Can't go down to the 3 although I would like to because I have three kids.

Why BMW, why?

Sincerely,

A loyal, but disappointed, BMW fan
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Hello there freddy. A lot of us here are big BMW fans and big manual transmission fans too. We feel your pain brother. The unfortunate truth is that there was probably such a low take rate for all wheel drive, manual transmission equipped E60 5ers that BMW couldn't make a business case to crash certify it and jump through whatever other hoops they have to for a car to be sold here in the US.

I too am a big fan of the E60 5 series. My Mom had an '05 530iA that was just an all around wonderful car. I loved driving it. It was bulletproof through the life of her lease too.

The styling of the new F10 5 series has grown on me. I've driven a 550 & 535 and besides the outright speed (incredible), there's not too much to brag about as far as their driving experience went.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Black Sapphire Metallic
    Black Leather
    ZWC Cold Weather Package
    Zpp Premium 1
    ZP2 Pemium 2
    ZSP Sport Package
    465 Split fold-down-rear seat
    4CE Anthracite Wood Trim
    List is $63850.00
    Final Price: 58750
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    Mr. Shiny Shoes from Oracle? Is this Nick? Shouldn't take too long to guess who I am?
    Just picked my vehicle that I ordered in End June. Although I did not get a single response to my pricing question on this forum (as opposed to overwhelming responses on Acura forum when I was buying MDX last year), I thought I would still share my experience with prospective buyers;

2011 528i, Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather
    Premium
    Nav
    Read Camera and PDC
    Xenon Lights and Adaptive Light

MSRP : ~ 52K
    Price paid: 46.5K + Tax & Fee

Addu
    addu

Thanks for sharing..

My wife just got a different model BMW in the same color combo.. Space Gray is a fantastic color!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• phylpphylp Member Posts: 49
    Addu:

Congrats on a very good deal. I am driving an '08 535i and loving it. But, I am considering trading to a 2011 model similar to yours.

Muchas gracias for the post.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Congrats on your new 528i! Enjoy it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Congrats, you got a very good deal.
    My wife loves her 535I. She says this every day!!! Enjoy!!
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    Hey ND,

the car was listed for 31K and I got it for 26,300 , I got it from Benz dealer at freehold , NJ , they keep getting new BMWers ever couple of weeks, the trick is to buy BMW from a none BMW dealer.

I already did a service on BMW with no issue as the car is CPO.

Best luck on your shopping.
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    This should not be issue if the car is CPO , all dealers in USA ( I assume Canada too ) will perform the service. Just make sure its CPO , ask and validate with BMW using the car VIN number.

also once you buy it , call BMW customer care and update the car info with your information for all recalls and offers , etc...

good luck.
  • bluguysbluguys Member Posts: 19
    Hello

Could you please provide me your dealer info on your 528 purchase? Im looking to buy 528i with Nav in next couple of weeks. Im in LA.

Thanks!
  • nymininymini Member Posts: 10
    Dark Gray Metallic
    Black Leather
    ZWC Cold Weather Package
    Zpp Premium 1
    ZP2 Pemium 2
    465 Split fold-down-rear seat

List is $61650.00
    Sales Price: $53750, plus tax and $150 fee and reg.

less: $1000 loyalty incentive and $1000 Team USA driving certificate.

FINAL price $51750, plus tax and fees

I think this is pretty good deal
  • gruntgrunt Member Posts: 6
    Nymini,

That is a great deal, I have been to 2 dealers in the last 2 weeks and I am considering buying a 2011 535i M sport package with premium 1 and 2 with a MSRP of $66,400 and the most both dealers are coming off the price is $3,500. Even with my car buying service with USAA their price for members is $5,000 off. Getting $7,900 off before the loyalty and team USA certificate is an outstanding price.
    Which city/ dealership was this? Anyways, pretty good deal
  • nymininymini Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2011
    It is in NYC area. It seems like dealers in NYC area still have a lot of inventories.