Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi lvcat1 - welcome! Be sure to stop by our general BMW 5-Series discussion also. You'll find lots of information there as well as folks who can discuss the ins and outs of demos or CPOs vs. new.

Good luck!
  • bmwmrcbmwmrc Member Posts: 66
    What you've been quoted sounds close to or at retail. Yes, I think you should be able to get a minimum of 10% off. I suggest you check Edmunds used car pricing and Kelly Blue Book online pricing to get a better understanding of the price points. Good luck.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I was on the bmw websit looking at the new five series... I priced out just a base 525 with an auto and its lease price for 36 months with 15000 miles came to roughly 509 a month... has anyone had any dealings on the 04s in terms of leasing what how did it all work out in the end...
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    Does that car have a sport package? If you get the kind of discount that you're aiming for that would be a fair price on the 530i. The certification is probably adding about a grand or more to the price but if you're going to keep the car for that long than I certainly feel like that would be a good value. There aren't many 530 demos around and the dealer isn't going to give it away ........ buy it, you'll love it!! A good deal is a state of mind. I bet that after you've had the car a few weeks, you'll be happy that you got it.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    I bought a brand new '03 530i for 15% off of $47K MSRP.

You should be able to get at least 15% if not 20% for the "used" moniker.
  • lvcat1lvcat1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses. bmwseller - you're right, not many 03 demos out there. Car referenced did not have sports package but comfort seats and other options to move MSRP to just under $50. Will probably close at around 11-12% discount. manybmws - would like to get the deal you did but comments I have gotten from multiple dealers is that the deals were better at the end of summer when there was still adequate suply, as supply has dwindled prices moving upward. Congrats on great deal.

Thanks for your help.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    sorry I didn't really make sense in my earlier post... i was tired and typeing and thinking wheren't going hand in hand. anyways, I went to the dealor yesterday and drove a 5 sedan, i must say I love the car, everything about it seems to fit what I was looking for, I like the i drive feature, but to be honest its something I could do with out as well, to me it would be a worrie that the knob would short out and wouldn't control its functions, but then again, I don't plan on having it for longer than the warrenty anyways. I'm looking into leasing a 525 with just the auto and the leather, I priced it at the dealor yester day and the quote was 470 a month 36 months, 15K miles a year, I wasn't too concerned with haggeling prices I leave that to my father, I'm 20 and have saved up all through high school so I could get a car, my father is the one who will haggle the deal and prices since I have no Idea what I'm doing, i'll just watch this time. my only problem is now is getting them to agree to this car, for my graduation they said they'd put down 8K towards a car, now in my thinking I can come up with about 350 a month in my paychecks (we figured in other expense so thats how I got what my payment I could do is). I'm hoping i can convince them to pick up the differnce to what ever the deal price that my dad works out. I'd rather have them help like that (till the 8K is gone) rather than them give it to me. I have some questoins though, I've never been a fan of BMW's and frankly never really liked them, but for some reason I really like the 5 series. I was wondering for those who have an 04 or even the 03 or 02 model line ups how you've liked your vehicles and have the held up pretty well with out too much haggle. thankx I plan on getting a car @ the end of november.
  • copperjack2copperjack2 Member Posts: 1
    Just looked at a new (2004) 530i with the premium package. Hmmm, I think BMW is crawling towards the cheap. I own a 2001 530i which replaced a 1997 528i, both bought new. I never had a problem w/ either car and there is nothing comparable to them in my opinion (and Consumer Reports). The '97 and the '01 are essentially the same car except for the vinyl sun visors they got from a NYC taxicab (The visor & attendant decal are probably required by BMW's attorneys). Oh well.
    However the trunk mechanism on the 2004 is, well, it ain't what it is in the 528/30. Hit the remote and the lid flies open like a jack in the box. No hydraulic shocks; instead two 1 inch tubes that intrude on the available space when you close it. Then they deleted one of the memory positions for the drivers seat; spiffy if your single! And no more full service spare! And all this for an additional $3000 to $4000 to replace the one I have now. I don't think so Tim.
    I don't know if I want to look any closer for fear of what else I may find.
  • bmwsellerbmwseller Member Posts: 200
    'bimmers still the best car in the segment, COPPERJACK, and it is improved in many areas over the previous 5. Did you drive the car?

The hinges DO NOT go into the cargo area. And, the trunk space is increased.
  • swu12swu12 Member Posts: 11
    I turned down an offer of a 530 2003 with $3000 off invoice because color didn't match. Now the same budget can only get ne a 330 2004. Went to the dealer today and couldn't talk much off the sticker price. I walked away.

Anyone familiar with both of the models can persude me $1000 off sticker for 330 2004 is a good or bad deal?
  • 510rock510rock Member Posts: 1
    Well, I finally went large (for me at least ;-) and bought that first BMW. Been driving Ford SUV's for the last 15 years. Couldn't resist the great deals on the 2003 530i's. We looked at all the cars in the $32-45K price range -- G35's, C-class, RX-8, A4, etc. Came close to getting a 330i until we found out about the dealer incentives here on Edmunds. Ended up buying a 2003 530i with premium and sport pkg, steptronic auto, xenons, black leather, and titanium silver paint. Payed around $46K total (price includes CA 7.75% tax and license). We bought the car just before the CA license fees tripled on Oct 1st. Hopefully, this fee will be reduced by the time I have to pay it again.

I had one of THE best car buying experiences of my life at Irvine BMW. Very low pressure through the entire process. I spent a few days driving various models at the dealership and some competitive alternatives elsewhere. Finally came to the conclusion that I had to have the 530i. Called the salesman I had been dealing with and made an offer (based on info from Edmunds and this forum). I spent some time back and forth with him on the phone over the course of an hour and we reached a deal. I also ended up getting a 4.5% 60 month loan through the dealership (they beat my credit union).

All-in all, the deal was good for the dealership and good for me. I probably could have worked the deal longer and saved a bit more. However, the 2003 530i's were selling pretty fast and I wanted the car optioned exactly as a bought it. A few weeks later, most of these cars were gone. As they say, timing is everything!

This car is awesome. I can't believe how fast I can go around corners now -- yeah I know, I'm easy to please after driving SUV's for so long ;-). The only problem I have now is that this is my wife's car...........
  • bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    Few can deny that the bmw buying experience is great. The reps are smart, professional and helpful (my experience, of course). Service is great, at least until your full service warranty expires. Then you read your first bill and expire too.

You'll continue to be amazed how the E39 does everything so well, compared to every other car you owned. It's one of the few cars you'll probably like better the longer you own it. I'll bet you either swap cars with your wife or buy another for yourself.

I still think the E39 5 is probably the best overall car in the world for the money. The E60 driving engineering probably is too, underneath the sometimes brainless styling and technogeek choices they're making lately (and the absurd $5K increase model-for-model). You got a decent price on a great car. Good luck--
  • 330ifan330ifan Member Posts: 15
    swu12,

I paid 1500 over invoice for my 2004 330i. Fortunately, I bought it in a town in Illinois where there is no MACO (I almost bought in Houston, where the MACA is over $500).
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Where in Illinois did you buy your '04 330? I'm about 100 miles southwest and Chicago and most dealers here and in Chicago sell for sticker or close to it.

Thanks.
  • bmwmrcbmwmrc Member Posts: 66
    You got yourself a great car. And if you feel comfortable with your buying experience, that's all that matters. I bought my 2003 525 up at Nick Alexander's in LA. A great experience and an even greater price! This is my second 5 and I'm in love all over again. Good luck with your new Bimmer.
  • 525ied525ied Member Posts: 3
    Any insights about Euro Delivery pricing on a new 2004 5-series. I'd prefer to order from a San Francisco Bay Area BMW dealership. Best deal offered so far is about 10% off U.S. MSRP (i.e., Base + options), excluding destination charge of $695. Given the options I want on the car, the cost savings works out to about $1,600 better than the cost savings of $2,750 advertised in the Euro Delivery section of the BMW N.A. web-site. Nevertheless, this still leaves about $700 on the table based on the savings opportunity described in a posting (#5373) by 330ii on Oct. 30th on the Mercedes Pricing discussion site. It suggested a pricing of $1,200 above the Euro Delivery invoice pricing and was offered by a few dealerships. Is anyone aware of a dealer offering this type of deal on a new 2004 5-series via Euro Delivery?
  • wmullerwmuller Member Posts: 2
    part one / selling: my girlfriend is ready to sell her 1995 BMW 525i. it is in great condition and has 118,000 miles on it. is it better to trade it in or sell it privately?

part two / buying: she wants to buy another 5 series BMW. we don't like the newer 2004 model but we are interested in the models from 2000 to 2003. the question is: what year / model is the best one out there?
  • chpqdkchpqdk Member Posts: 7
    While I have found European Delivery MSRP I have not been able to find the ED wholesale prices. I am planning to move from my current 99 540 -6 speed to a like 04 and need to be in Europe early next year so ED may make sense for me. Has anyone found the ED 04 invoice prices yet? Has anyone purchased an 04 using ED and if so can you still get them for the $1200 - $1500 over invoice as many did on the 03s last year?
  • blerner1blerner1 Member Posts: 12
    Looking for opinions on the IDRIVE on the 2004
    5 series.

Thanks
    There has been a LOT of conversation about that very thing in our ongoing BMW 5-Series discussion. Follow that link and read back over the last few weeks.

Also, since this is supposed to be focused on prices paid and actual buying experience, that is the best place for any further general questions on the vehicle that you might have.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll find lots of great information in that discussion - see you there. :)
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    wait for the 05 A6. Better car all around; and it doesn't look like a bridesmaid dress.
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    Is that when Audi will finally have RWD?
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Can't help but wonder what the reluctance is among certain purists to accept AWD. We brake with four. Distributing power among four is superior. Track time comparisons between RWD and AWD hardly tell the story.
    I thing AWD is great in certain conditions. I've driven RWD cars most of my life and have seldom been in a situation where I said, Gee, AWA would make the difference between getting to my destination or not.

As a practical example, on Dec. 31, 1998, I left Northern Ohio in a fierce snow storm headed for South Carolina. Roads had heavy snow covering a layer of ice. I was driving my '97 RWD (2WD) Toyota 4Runner. I passed everything on the road. I honestly don't know how AWD or 4WD would have made much of a difference. There is no substitute for knowing how to drive.

Now, my real rub with AWD is the extra weight, and as you know, weight is the enemy of handling. Not to mention the additional upfront and maintenance costs.

But, we have chocolate, vanilla, and a zillion other flavors. To each their own. I'm not going to try to convince you to come over to my side. This is just one old guy's humble opinion. And, thanks for asking.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My wife drives a BMW X5. Yep, AWD.

Happy Motoring,

Jack
    "There is no substitute for knowing how to drive."

Amen to the above. There is a mentality out there that thinks driving in snow with AWD means "I can drive as I do on a dry summer day" Accordingly, there are lots of winter accidents involving SUVs.

Your post piqued my interest because I am a fan of Audi's committment to AWD. I am also disappointed in BMW's lack thereof. I drove an S4 wagon several days ago and absolutely loved it. It's a one-of-a-kind vehicle as is the RS6. Lofty prices though.

I have no issue with the added weight since it is low. Aside from stability in snow and rain, acceleration in hairpins, especially twisting upgrades is where AWD shines. Too bad it can't be an option on all vehicles, this way everyone could be happy. Would like to see it offered on E55 and M5.

Jack, thanks for the full disclosure. You are a man of integrity!

;-)

PS - apologies for straying off topic. It happens!
    Thanks for your post. BMW is not headed where I'd like, but, they didn't ask me either. When I bought my 530, I was tempted by the 540, but the old weight thing was the deciding factor.

I've lamented on several occasions that I think BMW should offer either:
    1) a 5 series with a 3.5 or 3.6 liter making around 260 - 280 HP. It would cure BangleFever for me. (A Honda Accord makes that on their v-6.)
    2) a supercharge dor turbocharged 3.0 liter, or even the above wished for 3.5 or 3.6 liter. You can aftermarket supercharge the 3.0 for about $7 - $8k installed, adding about 90 HP. But, there goes the warranty. Seems like BMW could put a charge into these things for less money and offer a warranty. I'd take a 3.0 with supercharger over the 540/545 and have similar performance, but 200 to 250 lbs. less weight.

But, hey, if BMW lets me down, I'll certainly look at Audi.

Host, sorry for the off topic post, but, these concerns may stop me from having another BMW buying experience at any price.

Jack
    Here is a great place for 5-Series conversation that is not specifically about sharing prices paid and/or buying experiences: BMW 5-Series.

There are also several discussions on the subject of AWD, RWD, FWD etc. - the keyword search on the left side of the page will get you a wealth of information!

;-)
  • bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    I posted this on another thread, but figured I'd put it in the right place before pat tells me to....

I'm currently at $1.8 K over invoice ($2.4 K under MSRP) on a 525 E60 with some typical options. Haven't tried very hard to negotiate yet, as I'm on the fence on the 5-series. Of course in the NY-NJ area you have a very large advantage over other areas of the country in that there's *lots* of BMW dealers around here to haggle with. Dealers say the E60 is selling (not sure how much to believe it, yet), but I've seen every indication that an experienced, educated buyer can get a very solid discount on MSRP.

BTW, with all respect to the folks at Edmunds with their TMV viewpoint on the 5 series, I think their current estimate is very high compared to what can be acheived with some data, a few phone calls and the self-confidence to negotiate. Had a BMW rep try to use TMV to set a relatively high price on the car. I laughed about the idea and he backed off in an instant -- he didn't give it a lot of credibility either. Edmunds might want to update their data sources on this one.

Cheers--
    bentleyfam25 - you might want to use the "Contact Us" form (accessed through the Help link at the top of the page) to report your comments on TMV. That's the best way to have them seen by the folks who publish the TMV figures.
    I was at BMW dealer over the weekend when the salesman I was dealing with offered the following information which was totally unsolicited on my part.

While walking past a well-stocked lot of new 5s, flanked by copious amounts of Z4s, the salesman shook his head in despair and said “Do you believe this?” Raising my eyebrows with curiosity he continued “These cars are disasters. BMW had better straighten themselves out and fire the man who designed them.”

I told him, wow, given your position, you appear to be incredibly candid about this. Aren’t they selling? “Do they look like they’re selling. Do you see anyone here looking to test drive them. Plus there are problems with them.” he said.

At this point I was anxious to pick his brains in some detail but he got paged. Since I was done with my business there (I will not disclose what this was in order to protect him.) I didn’t get the chance to hear his specifics.

Now, knowing very well the BS salespeople have up their sleeves to make a sale, he could have had an ulterior motive as I my interest there had nothing to do with the 5. However, given the fact that prices on E60 are already starting to crack, Z4s and 7s are being discounted fairly well, there wasn’t much customer traffic at the dealer on a beautiful sunny Saturday (the shoppers there were testing 3s, Zs and 7s), and I still haven’t seen a new 5 on the road (I’m talking about driving 60 miles a day on heavily traveled roads.) I tend to believe him.

It is understandable that many want a new bimmer, it’s still the best ride around, better than the much-worshiped E39. But if you are a price hawk, have patience, and wait for the definitive scoops on E60 bugs, you may be rewarded.
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    That was a great post. Please do us all a favor and pick that salesman's brains.
  • karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    Was that "bmwseller" you were talking with? :)
    "Was that "bmwseller" you were talking with? :)"

LOL. That would be blasphemous for "bmwseller" or "bmwife".

I never figured out if they're the same person.
    I actually miss him... brings out the best in all of us... posts come out of the woodwork. Where is he anyway... banished to the Gulag Archipelago?
  • herr_shnellherr_shnell Member Posts: 4
    This car is a bonafide problem. For US customers, BMW is substituting cheap plastic parts for more expensive ones, and NOT DISCLOSING this to their customers. You may wait months for your car, and when it arrives with different color, trim, and options, you will have to take it or take a walk. Customer service is all but gone at BMW, and they will NOT assist in rectifying any such issues.

Now reports are coming in regarding failures of the active steering mechanism and on-board electronics. Dearlerships know precious little about this car let alone how to fix it. Expect to have your own chair at the local BMW service shop.

And to think, you get this all for more than $60,000.00 . What has happened to BMW ? This is inexcusable. Stay away from this car. If I could dump mine without taking a big financial hit, I would do so in a second.
    Schnell, you've made the same allegation on a bunch of BMW boards but haven't provided any links or detailed personal accounts. Please back up your charges.
  • mlock6mlock6 Member Posts: 22
    Received delivery on my 530i. It's a great handling and good looking car. This car looks great in Titanium Grey. I've seen the car in blue, black and silver and it doesn't bring out the new positive styling features. By the way, I got a good deal($1500off). The BMW staff at VOB in Maryland did a very good job from start to finish. They were very professional and knowledgeable.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Member Posts: 44
    Please keep us informed about your ownership experience.
  • choidschoids Member Posts: 16
    I just ordered Black Sapphire 2004 545i with no option for $500 under the MSRP in Southern California area. This was the best deal I could get. Everybody else inisted on MSRP. It should arrive on the last week of January. Oh, one thing, just found out that BMW will increase the MSRP by another $700 on 545i effective as of Jan 1, 2004 as the introductory rate expires.
  • chpqdkchpqdk Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone else heard of a price increase on the 545 as of 1/1/04. I'm in the final stages of negotiating their "best" price on a 545 right now and my salesman hasn't used the "better get it before the price increase" pitch - at least not yet!
    The price increase is a fact. The saleswoman showed me a copy of memo issued by BMW which lists new price. The increase affects all line ups but I only cared to look for 545i price since that's the one I was ordering. Even mine, the lady couldn't guarantee I will get the introductory rate since the car will be arriving in US in January 04 although I ordered prior to Jan 1.. But, she said, if my car reflects new price, she will take additional $200 off the MSRP. Big help... lol.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Recent (latest?) issue of Roundel (BMW CCA) magazine had a small article discussing the general price increases with all E60. The 530i went up the most. Thinking around 7.2%. Thinking the 545i and 525i both under 4%. And the price of the Sport Pkg ballooned. C&D's recent test had their loaded 530i 6-speed manual Sport Pkg car with a $56,000 MSRP! That bumps up near 545i6 range.

Think BMW realized the price of 530i too close to 525i. Making it farther apart like with 330i and 325i price difference.
    According to memo issued by BMW, it specifically mentions that the option price will remain the same. The increase only affects the base price of the car. The rational behind the price increase was the general consensus that the economy will be better next year.
    Vee vill design das ugly cars unt you vill like zem.
    Vee vill increase sah price unt you vill pay!
    Vee are superior UNT VEE VILL VIN!!!!!!!!
    "Vee vill design das ugly cars unt you vill like zem.
    Vee vill increase sah price unt you vill pay!
    Vee are superior UNT VEE VILL VIN!!!!!!!!"

ROFLMAO!

This is the capitalist system. If BMW can charge more for the car and still sell every car they make, they should.

BTW designman, where's the followup to your conversation with the BMW salesman?
    Don't forget that BMW is getting pounded by the rapid and large rise in the value of the Euro against the dollar. BMW does its accounting in Euros. Even with derivatives, etc., the over 40% rise in the Euro over the past couple years is hitting the bottom line. Easiest way to offset is to raise dollar prices.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    true, the euro has really jumped since its bottom in late 2000. however, it's latest jump still only brings it back to late 90's levels.

http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?s=EUR&t=USD&a=1&c=3

I don't remember BMW cutting its prices when the euro lost 40% of its value from 1996 to 2000. (The Euro wasn't in existence then, its value above is a calculated composite.) But then again, many other factors come to play in the pricing of import cars.
    saugatak, thanks for your compliment on my post #670. However, even though I would like to, I don't feel obliged to follow it up. Neither do I believe there is any obligation on the part of herr schnell. According to his post #675, he has an E60 and doesn't like it for reasons cited. Due to his repetitive posts, he appears pretty torqued off at BMW after putting up an ante which is close to $60K. Surely this is something E60 naysayers can relate to. Does he have an ulterior motive, a hidden agenda, is he telling the truth? Who cares.

I appreciate your apparent thirst for black and white facts, but this is a casual chat forum that does not require journalistic acumen. Sometimes we are presented with facts, other times it's just hearsay. Sometimes the hearsay has veracity, other times not. In the end it's not that important.

What IS important is that anyone who is interested in E60 or any car does his legwork to get to the bottom of any potential issues, then spends his hard-earned bucks as he sees fit. It took me a year to make a buying decision on my E39. I've said this before... patience. The truth about E60 is almost at hand and will come out in the wash. For those who wish to buy it now, well, that's there business and I do indeed respect their prerogative. Hopefully they will not be disappointed. As a matter of fact, this place will be turned over to lots of E60 buyers in the upcoming months and I'm looking forward to reading their comments, both positive and negative.

Enjoy the ride, and have a laugh along the way. Saugatak... you VILL laugh!

;-)
    there's no obligation to follow up, was just hoping that if you did follow up you'd update us all.

with regard to herr schnell, i don't know all his circumstances but if i were to make a post trashing the car, i'd provide some more detail or backup so that it didn't look like a rant.

if schnell did spend $60k of his hard earned money and got a lemon, i feel truly sorry for him.
    jrock65... Before the Euro, BMW did its corporate accounting in D-mark. Historically, changes in value of D-mark vs. the dollar had a big impact on BMW's prices and profits. Remember the huge rise in the D-mark in the mid-to-late 1980s? BMW was forced to raise prices in USA signficantly to offset. Hit MB and VW/Audi. Before that, long-term rise in D-mark was also a big reason GM stopped importing Opels into USA in 1970s and why Ford gave up importing Ford of Europe products in USA (remember the 1970s Capri? D-mark caused 1980s Merkur to be so expensive, derailing that attempted new marque).

When the Euro fell after its introduction, BMW made more money in USA. They could've held line on dollar prices or actually lowered them, if they had wanted to gain market share. But BMW needed to recover after the $B-Rover debacle as well as to fund all the new generation vehicles.