Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sam911sam911 Member Posts: 13
    lease 525 has PP, CWP, STEP .
    on delivery 2500 down+ 525$first month,525 sec dep,525 acquisition fee

actualy its 12miles/year
    MRSP 44900
    cost 43000
    525$x36=18900+2500=21400 for 12miles/year

I would not add the sec deposit because it is adeposit, and bank fee is the acquisition fee
    the dealer/bmw band will charge "steal" from you anyway not part of the variables
    this is bases on 62% depreciation and .0025 MF
  • jakemailjakemail Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 1998 540i w/31K miles, Auto, 17in sport wheels, prem. audio w/display, 6cd, jet black ext. w/ sand leather int. both pristine. I paid 24K for it. Do you think I overpaid? Hard to find such a great car with low miles. I've looked.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You didn't overpay, you didn't steal it either. It's right on the money according to bluebook and I find them to be pretty accurate. Private sale fetches $24K, dealer $27k. Sounds like a great car. Enjoy it. Of course, if you get Riez' seal of approval on this one you will know your ship has come in.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    designman... Price seems in line with classifieds in Roundel (BMW CCA). '98s are running out of CPO time, so that wouldn't make much of a difference.

jakemail... Low mile cars can present some problems for prospective buyers. Do you have ALL the service records? Was ALL the service work done?

- At least annual oil changes?
    - Brake fluid change every two years?
    - Coolant change every three years?
    - Is it still riding the original tires--if so, buy new ones.
    - Is it using original battery--if so, buy a new one.
    - Is it still using original belts--if so, install new ones.

Did you talk to the original owner(s)? Did you buy it from a BMW dealer or non-BMW dealer? If BMW dealer, was it the dealer who originally sold the car? Why did the original owner sell? And drive it so little? Did you have a good mechanic, one familiar with this model BMW, inspect it?

Did you run a CarFax report? If not, never too late to find out. Hope there aren't any issues.
  • atomicpunkatomicpunk Member Posts: 20
    Congratulations on your smokin new ride. Sounds like you're happy with your buy. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the details. Don't analyze it -- Just drive it. That's what it's for!

I am...
    the ATOMICPunk!
  • jakemailjakemail Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for each of your perspectives on my purchase. Carfax checks out with consistent mileage form year to year, w/one owner. Unfortanetly I do not have service records. I purhcased the car from a small independent dealer that specializes in luxury, hard to find, low mileage cars. Tires are new (80% tred, pirelli p7000 super sports)...things under the hood "look" ok, but I will take it to a BMW guy pronto and have him give it a good good look in and out. Thanks again.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    BMW keeps service records in the computer for every car they sell. Take the VIN# to any BMW dealer, and ask the service manager to print out the service history.. You will then have to have him explain the codes, but it will have all work ever done at any BMW dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• arielthecatarielthecat Member Posts: 10
    I have been a avid "lurker" on this site for many months and thought I would make my first posting.

Back in Sept ('03), it seems as though they were almost giving E39's ('03 530i) away! Great deals, people buying them at 2K, and even 3K under invoice. My how things have changed! I am looking to buy a E39, with low miles (less than 10K), with the all-weather package (wife has to have heated seats, now that she has driven my Lexus with them) and it has to be either silver or white (long story, there).

First, let me say that I have spent many hours searching, cars.com, autotrader.com, carmax and a dozen other sites looking for a decent deal. I think 37 or 38K would be very reasonable for a E39 with 5-10K miles, Xenon lights, premium pkg. and heated seats. Now for the shocker...there are none to be found ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD at this price! I am willing to get the car anywhere in NA (I live in Atlanta--where by the way, the dealers here, Global being one of them, thing you are doing them a favor by paying retail for E60). People must be smoking something...they want 42, 43, 44, 45K for these cars..used, some with 15-20K miles on them!

Is this possible? Yes, all you have to do is do the search. I called a half a dozen or so dealer (one in NJ--he had 200 used BMW's in inventory), these guys seemed to have some sort of weird amnesia about what the MSRP was on these cars on a few quarters ago.

Any help on finding a good price on this car or few words of advice would be well appreciated. Understand, I know that the boat has left the dock, but selling a car over invoice when it is over a year old, does not make much sense to me, no matter how many people may be having trouble with the E60 (or dislike the I-drive or styling).

If you know of dealer, site, broker...let me know.

Thanks!
    Don't confuse asking prices with selling prices. Although the E39 owners on this board will tell you that the car is the greatest car ever built on the planet (and they may be correct), those prices you are seeing are not indicative of the market.

Most private sellers of an '03 model, likely bought it 15-18 months ago, and paid within a couple thousand of MSRP. Unless they have been following the market, they probably think that 15% below what they paid is a fair price. They have no idea that the same car sold for 10% less than they paid new just nine months later.

Check with Terry in Real World Trade-in values board, and he can tell you what they are bringing at the auctions, and what is a fair private party and dealer retail price. I think you'll find it is considerably less than the asking prices you are finding on-line.

I think the price range you are targeting is very reasonable, and you will find something for that amount of money, no matter how popular the car is at this time.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx:

Thanks for the advice. I will most certainly confer with the Real World board which you recommended. I will also keep everyone here apprised of what my findings are. I am sure that their are a few people that are in the same boat that I am in.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    The MSRP on my E39 525 with Sports Premium and Split Seat was $44K plus. If I remember the numbers correctly, the MSRP for E39 530 with Premium, Xenon and Heated Seats would be around $47K.

What happened late last summer ($3.5-$4.5K BMWNA rebates) was a one-time event. It is no longer available. Unless someone purchased the car during those three months, they would not have enjoyed the discount at retail. They have absolutely no reason to take the hit now.

The E60 530 comparably equipped will be around $50K. So you have two price points (the $47K MSRP for E39 and the $50K for E60) to work with.

Assuming a 15% depreciation in year 1, you should expect to pay close to $40K. The E60 is putting off many buyers increasing the demand for late model E39s. This will limit the depreciation. Edmunds TMV also comes up with a similar number.

A dealer is unlikely to pass along the $4K rebate to you since they do not have to; a private party seller may be more willing to share his spoils. What you are looking for is a seller who bought a E39 530 after last June and wants to sell the car now.

Given the specific color choices and option packages you need, it will not be easy to find such a vehicle at the price point you are looking at.
  • savorasavora Member Posts: 25
    I am curious to see how people are doing as far as negotiating price for a 5-series?

For people that have picked up their cars, did anyone get an extended warranty? How much?

Thanks in advance
    I just found a '03 530i in VA. 4,900 miles, all weather package, premium package, xenon lights. Silver in color. Went into service 09/03, so it is a fairly new car.

$40,550.

So, the moral of the story is: if you look hard enough, you CAN get a good deal. I feel this is a good price for this car, given the miles and options.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Congratulations!
    You are quite close to my estimate of $40K.
    Is this from a dealer? Looking at the date it entered service, it looks like the dealer titled the car close to the expiration of the incentives. He is selling it close to the invoice price minus the incentive; both parties should be reasonably happy.

You could try to get them to CPO the car, if you plan to keep it beyond 4 years or will be putting a lot of miles.
    I am buying the car from Auto Advantage in VA. They sell used BMW's only. They told me that they sell 60+ cars a month (fairly high volume for a dealer selling just pre-owned BMW's,).

The 530i was registered as personal vehicle in 10/03. It was offered for sale, 3 months later (2,643 miles on it) in MD. It sold at a auction as a dealer vehicle in PA in March, to the dealer which I am buying the car from.

I am having the car shipped to me via the same outfit which ships all of the Ebay cars (DAS-Dependable Auto Shippers). Believe or not, I am buying this car, site unseen. I know that this is a dangerous proposition, but I have checked these guys out and everything they told me matched to the CARFAX info I obtained. As soon as I have the car delivered, I will take it to a local 3rd-party BMW service outfit here in Atlanta, whom I trust and have them give the 530i a comprehensive evaluation. I have 5 days to return the car, if I am not satisfied, however, I have the feeling is that this is a clean car and will be pleased. I will let everyone here, know.

My, how the internet has changed all of our lives! Just 7 years ago, none of this existed. I am not sure what the acronym CPO means. If you mean extended warranty, I never have believed in them.

Thanks for your post. Will let you know how it works out, car should be here in 7-10 days (give or take).
    arielthecat... CPO stands for BMW's Certified Pre-owned Program. This is BMW's warranty backed by them and their dealers. This provides an additional 2 years or 50,000 miles of warranty coverage on the car (though this warranty coverage has a $50 deductible and has some limitations in comparison to the original 4/50 b-to-b new car warranty.)

You should talk to the original owner. Why did they unload it so quickly? Were they having problems with it?
    Thanks for the clarification on CPO. Being in the software industry, it gets tough keeping up with all of the acronyms.

I checked today and the car is CPO, so essentially, I have 45,200 miles or until 2008 until the car is out of warranty (as you are well aware). The dealer would not disclose who the first owner was, as they bought this car at auction. I am not sure if I can obtain that information (CARFAX does not disclose it)?

If I may speculate on where you are heading with your questions, I too, have wondered why this particular car would have changed hands so many times with so few miles on it?

However, on the other hand, I can always return this car if everything does not check out. Many things besides bad things can lead to one turning a car in after a short period of time. I spoke to DAS this morning and we should have the car in 7 to 10 days...stay tuned. If you know of a way, I can discreetly reach out to the first owner (without over-stepping privacy laws), let me know and I will give them a call.

Thanks
    Look over the owner's manual and in the glovebox/storage areas. You might find the person's name there.

You might also contact the original selling dealer's service manager. Ask to get a copy of any service work. Ask for the name of the original owner. If they won't, give them your name/telephone number and ask them to contact the original owner to see if s/he will call you.

Run CARFAX report. It should give you the date and place the car was first registered. If in small county, you might be able to get something from county courthouse records.
  • gladyglady Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an 03 530 w/ sport pack, prem pack, xenon and cold weather package. It had a 6/03 service date with 5300 miles. It is also a CPO and I paid 42k. I was ok with the price since I was looking for a hard to find car (it had to be manual) and it's close to new (the CPO was also big for me). When the dealer CPO's a car they take it through a fairly rigorous process so you should feel comfortable that your car has no problems. I also found the original owners name in the maintenace book and called him. He assured me that his reason for selling the car after 8 months had nothing to do with car. Bottom line is I love driving the car and have a warranty (and piece of mind) for a long time to come.
  • bromsterbromster Member Posts: 2
    just got a goregeous 525i with premium pkg, chromes and cold weather

MSRP on this puppy was 46,620
    my price 43,575 (sales threw in the chromes at cost)
    down was drive off: 1st month, sales tax and license + 700 sec dep

at 3,045 under invoice i beat all deals other offers in LA
    (most were running around 1,500 under MSRP)

just keep going to different dealers til you find one that needs to unload his car -- also helps if they have the car you want on the lot
    ps i always tell them i'm considering other cars as well (in this case i used the jaguar s type as my foil)

good luck
  • savorasavora Member Posts: 25
    I ordered mine, for 2500 off MSRP (Tinting and Mats included) for 530i with auto, premium sound and xenon. Can't wait to get it!
    As promised...a follow-up from my previous posts:

We received the '03 530i, which I purchased from a dealer over the internet. If you read my previous posts here, I was looking for a specific color, equipped with certain options.
    Also, price was THE most important criteria as to whom and where I purchased the auto.

The car we got is perfect. Understand that I bought this car sight unseen. Meaning, I never saw it or drove it until the shipper delivered to my home, this afternoon. Some may think I am a lucky SOB, but quite frankly, I am a VP of a large software company and have many dealings with people on the phone and felt that the people whom I was dealing with where forthcoming and honest. In fact, I can say that buying this car was the easiest and most convenient auto buying experiences I have had, period. There is something to be said about buying cars over the internet...if you do your homework, read the kind advice of all the people here on this forum and have a little patience, you will get a good deal!

The car...well, it did not rate as one of the best cars in world for nothing. I bought for my wife and I think that I will have to be trading her for my Lexus 330 more than I thought! It is a blast to drive and I could not be more pleased (she is ecstatic!). Thanks to everyone who responded to my posts.
  • vicmacvicmac Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know how the European Rebate works.
    If I bargain a deal on the 530i which can be $2500 off of MSRP and then request for a European Delivery and get the rebate pf $2700 approx or it is just on the MSRP.

TIA

Vic
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We have a discussion just for BMW delivery - BMW Owners: European Delivery which is a wealth of information.
  • badbimrbadbimr Member Posts: 1
    It is possible to get a good deal on a 530i if you contact enough dealers and emphasize to them that you're ready to buy if the price is right. Today, I picked up my silver grey metallic with grey leather, steptronic, premium package, and xenons for $47,540 plus tax,license, and doc fees.I live in the San Francisco bay area where dealers are just now starting to deal. The car drives like a dream. Now if I can only figure out the I-Drive. Have to leave now to watch the instuctional DVD.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Links to dealer websites aren't allowed -- see header of this discussion and/or our Rules of the Road (linked at the top).

I had to remove a message for that reason.
  • jstchekinjstchekin Member Posts: 4
    This is a great forum, been reading for a while...

Looking for a 545 with sports (TX). The new body style slowly growing on me... ready to wait for a good deal.

1. What are the best deals folks have seen. (Off MSRP or +Invoice)?
    What helped getting your great deal.. (Faxes, broker, on the lot, patience)

2.Has anyone purchased bmw from out of state and not received good service from the local dealer.
    I was planning to send bunch of faxes... but my local dealer/s in TX told me that I may be at serious disadvantage if I did not buy locally. One sales person said that "serice loaner" will be a rental car. Another said that if there are serious issues with the car dealer may not stand up to bmw usa.
    Now I understand a little scare tactic in negotiation. But is this a normal mode of ops for bmw.
    I was totally impressed the way local Lexus dealer took care of of my wife's car...Full service no questions asked. Any experiences either ways.

Thanks in advance.
    BMW does NOT have a uniform service loaner policy. Up to each dealer. The local BMW dealers near me will only give loaners to people who buy from them.

State car franchise laws and the dealer's contract with BMW NA drive what the dealer has to provide. In my state, only the selling dealer has a full legal obligation to service the vehicle. A non-selling dealer can refuse to service a car. (Had that happen to me with a Chrysler dealer once in a small town.)

If I was you, I'd FLEE from this dealer as fast as you can. If that means not buying a BMW, then so be it. Dealer sounds awful. Though you might ask to talk with the owner or manager to confirm the details. If they still are scary, report them to BMW NA and see what BMW NA says.

These type service issues were one reason I traded in my two BMWs for two Lexus. Lexus has a nationwide loaner policy and much friendlier dealers.
  • jeripjerip Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new here. I am going to buy a 530i in the next few weeks, but I want to make an intelligent informed purchase. I am thinking about the premium sound package, automatic transmission, and leather seats (although I am leaning against the premium package because I like the titanium trim more than the wood). So if anyone can help with advice, personal anecdotes about what a good price would be for me here in the Los Angeles area I would appreciate it. I bought my last car before I knew about this site, and spent weeks feeling as though I was taken advantage of by the dealer (a local BMW delearship) so I am determined to do my homework this time. Thanks alot.
    European Delivery
    Looking for 545(Auto) + sports and few small things
    What are some recent deals?
    Should I look at the MSRP + 7% off the base model as a starting point?
    What is the wholesale/ED invoice?
    Thanks in advance
  • sirdarbysirdarby Member Posts: 20
    Autolink in Atlanta for great-low mileage, pristine late model cars. Mostly off-lease.

My last 5 BMW and Lexus purchases have been awesome.
  • indy500indy500 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advices with regard to the price for 04 bmw 530i. I am totally new to this town hall message post and I'll highly appreciated for any of your input.

I am looking for 04 bmw 530i with amethyst gray metallic exterior and gray interior. Optional packages includes 205 (automatic steptronic transmission), 416 (power rear sunshade and side manual sunshade) and 465 (Fold Down Rear Seats w/ Ski Bag)

What is the best price do you think I should pay for this vehicle before tax and document and registration fees?
  • indy500indy500 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I live in Indianapolis
  • dstompkinsdstompkins Member Posts: 4
    "Looking for a 545 with sports (TX). The new body style slowly growing on me... ready to wait for a good deal. 1. What are the best deals folks have seen. (Off MSRP or +Invoice)? What helped getting your great deal.. (Faxes, broker, on the lot, patience)"

I have a 2/04 production 545 w/sport pkg. My large California (Bay Area) dealer receives a 3 or 4 545s a month so there was no discounting (for now). I ordered it for full MSRP. PS I highly suggest the sport package...I love the active steering and look of the sport wheels vs. the standard wheels.
    "Looking for a 545 with sports (TX). The new body style slowly growing on me... ready to wait for a good deal. 1. What are the best deals folks have seen. (Off MSRP or +Invoice)? What helped getting your great deal.. (Faxes, broker, on the lot, patience)"

--- Thanks to GR8NYView tips... Purchasing ED should get in couple of months +/-.
    over 3 K plus wholesale price. Happy with the buying experience. Did not negotiate hard.
    Let me know if you wish contact...

This is a good forum --
  • honchhonch Member Posts: 4
    The dealer has offered me a 04 530i> It is equipped with cold weather, premium, sport, auto,fold down, and xenon. This car was sold and returned with 4400 miles. MSRP was 53995.00, including destination. It is offered at 49900.00. I would like to pay around 46k. What is a fair price here?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    If it's not a lemon, $48-49k imo.
  • lovemybeamerlovemybeamer Member Posts: 5
    I am turning to you, the experts, for some advice. I am looking at a 2002 530 with 39500 miles. It has the premium and sport packet as well as xenon lights. It has been certified by the dealer. What is a fair price to pay for this car? I live in Houston, Tx
    I do not understand imo? Thanks.
    I M O In My Opinion

I M H O In My Humble Opinion

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    The Kelly Blue Book puts its retail value (from dealer) around $37,925 (Auto) and $37,350 (Manual). I would offer the dealer $35,000 and be prepared to walk out!
  • lovemybeamerlovemybeamer Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot and keep you posted. Cheers
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    It's a good idea to start at $33,000 and see how the negotiations go, while you have in mind your maximum offer. Good luck!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You could get that car brand new for around $45-46k through ED. I just priced a 545i 6-speed w/ Navigation at $53.5k throguh ED. These prices require that you travel to Germany, but they serve as a good benchmark for me in determining what I would be willing to pay.

I would not buy the used 530i you describe for anything above $45k; probably less. That may be the "market value" but it's not worth it to me to buy used unless there is a compelling value reason. And the dealer should be willing to sell a dem for well below his invoice cost that still includes a holdback.
    Appreciate your response. I assume ED is European Delivery. How do I go about learning about this?
    List all the BMW discussions... there is a forum specifically for European Delivery... Take a couple hours to read through it, and you'll know more than you ever wanted.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Appreciate your response. I assume ED is European Delivery. How do I go about learning about this?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• muddogmuddog Member Posts: 26
    Bought a 545i, sport package in April (in San Antonio). Did not feel that I had much room to negotiate, given the limited numbers of those cars. I did get what I wanted for my 2001 E430, and got the dealer to throw in (i) tinted windows and (ii) Sirius radio. Felt pretty good, overall.

Muddog
  • mtv65mtv65 Member Posts: 45
    01-03 model years to be more specific. I've got ~$25k to spend on a car, any car. Here's the list so far - 01-03MY E39 530i with SPP or E46 330i with SPP(sport package), Audi B5 S4(the V6 Bi-turbo) sedan but prefer an Avant. I'm biased towards the BMW having owned several from 2002 to e36 328i to E36 M3 but the S4 sure does make a point. I've test driven a lot of cars these past few weeks and have finally narrowed it down to these 3 very impressive machines. Thanks in advance for your response!!