Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    I'll make a suggestion if you don't mind. If you are located in an area which is prone to freezing rain and sleet you might consider lifting the wipers away from the windshield each evening. It makes life a lot easier in the morning when you are trying to clean the car. Also saves buying several sets of blades each year.
    I imagine you checked the fuses for A/C and radio.
    We had the same radio problem with a 1998 Golf after discharging a battery and when a starting motor and later an alternator broke. I had to reset it in some fashion; cannot remember what I did but the information was in the manual. I do remember a fuse had to be replaced once. The jerky motion could be a non related item such as water in your fuel filter. Had that problem also.
    Also had the A/C issue and it turned out that the motor for the fan was burned out. Now the car has to be running in order to turn on the A/C and the A/C must be turned off before the car is turned off. That's the way it should be done anyway but now it's necessary or the motor goes again. Still have the Golf and we drive it daily. I still have the Passat but hate that money pit and can't sell it. I've been trying to think if there is anyone I dislike enough to give them the Passat.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    Well, I've done some work on the car. I picked up an inexpensive code reader from Costco, pulled the codes, and got the following:

P1545 - which has something to do with the throttle body. Recommended procedure is a throttle body cleaning. I replaced that sucker once, and it was $700, so I don't want to do that again
    P1600 - Something about low voltage at terminal 15
    P1857 - Load Signal Error Message from Engine Contr. - Googled it, and it said something about cleaning the MAF sensor
    P0102 - something about a potential fault with the MAF

I picked up some MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaner. Cleaed the MAF, sprayed the throttle body cleaner into the TB as best as I code, cleared codes, I also tried the reset procedure for the TB that I found on another forum. I cranked it up and ran it, and it still ran rough. Shut it off and cranked it again a few more times. I pulled codes again, and the only one I got this time was P1545 - the TB code. It might be the MAF is fixed or it just hasn't sent another code as of yet.

I am now going to try to take the throttle body out for cleaning rather than just spraying into the intake hose. We'll see what happens. I definitely don't want to spend $700 on an 11 year old car.

Thanks for the tips!
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Sounds like the throttle body needs to be readapted, but that's strictly a guess on my part. I've heard about the reset procedure you probably tired, but I 've never seen conclusive evidence that it actually works, versus hooking it up to a vag-com to do it. Perhaps you can find a person locally that has a ross-tech vag-com and for the cost of some beer get them to do the throttle body.
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    pd: You say 52k, but how old is the car? With that mileage, it WOULD seem to be a premature failure. Before you spend large dollars on these parts, you should have a shop diagnose the problem...you might also have issues with tie rod ends, control arms, bushings, etc. I have had good luck with a parts distributor in Phoenix called AutohausAZ. Not sure if it's OK to "endorse" suppliers on Edmunds, but the Autohaus staff seems to be knowledgeable, parts are deep-discounted, and shipping over $50 is free. Good luck... vwdawg.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Can't you temporarily disconnect the MAF on this car to see if the car runs better? If so, then the MAF is the culprit. I know this works on some cars, but never tried it on a VW---anyone know?
    Glad that it helped.
    dvw. I had the same problem. I found one "hole" in the glove box which normally had a plug in it. I found the plug which was about 11/2" round and that stopped that cold draft. There still is one other which I cannot find but only happens when the fan is on. I'll find it eventually but it is extremely annoying to turn on the heat and the fan blows cold air through one small hole somewhere under the dash. As mentioned previously I am attempting to sell that piece of junk so hopefully it won't be a bother for much longer.
    I did try disconnecting the MAF...when I did that, the car wouldn't even start ;-)

I did do an MAF cleaning, and that cleared the MAF-related codes I was getting, but I am still getting the TB-related code. Hoping to link up with someone with VAG-COM software in a day or two to see if we can get it reset.

Thanks!
    I just wanted to post an update. The VAG COM software was able to align my throttle body. In all of 10 minutes time, the car is now back to purring like a kitten. Phew!
  • chuckhansonchuckhanson Member Posts: 16
    This is great news. It makes me wonder if I had the software would I have avoided replacing my throttle body on my Audi A6 at a cost of about $1,000. I guess the Audi dealer would never have admitted it in any case. Next time I will invest in the diagnostic equipment.

I wonder how many times that when we have trouble with our cars it is not the car but the mechanic just trying to make a living. I have a boat with two 454 cubic inch Crusader engines in it. I do all the maintenance myself because it is hard to get service away from the marina. My engines are 1984 vintage and they purr like a kitten. I wouldn't think of having a mechanic touch them. I always think I would be in worse shape.

Good luck.
  • chuckhansonchuckhanson Member Posts: 16
    I am having trouble replacing the left rear brake light on my 2005 Passat station wagon TDI. Anyone have any ideas and/or photos?

Thanks,
    Chuck Hanson
    Thanks for the feedback on the MAF and congrats on approaching the problem with a good diagnostic tool! Sounds like you persisted and this paid off, great.
  • tibatiba Member Posts: 3
    I have 1999 VW passat 1.8T 20V, manual, AEB and the engine blew out. I have to change the whole engine. Does anybody knows if an Audi A4, same year engine fits on my passat?
    I'll appreciate ,
    Thanks!
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    identical

Krzys
  • gbunomegbunome Member Posts: 3
    stored my 2003 passat v6 for winter and closed the side mirrors electricaly. Took the car out and put the mirror control knob back to normal position and they wont re-open! does anyone have any clue of what maybe hapening or to fix the problem. :)
    Stupid question,..but can you manually pop the mirrors back out? I've never had the option that automatically folds them, so I don't know if you break the system if you manually pop them out. Did the car lose power over the winter? If so, maybe it needs to "reset" in order to have that function work again. Anytime I've changed the battery in my Passat, the auto up feature on the front windows doesn't work until I drive the car for one cycle and use the key fob to lock and unlock it. Then that feature works again.

Just guesses....
    yes they open manually! but definately what you say about the dead battery makes much sense because yes the battery died-out. :) thx will keep you posted on what the outcome is!! much appreciated
  • janemo31janemo31 Member Posts: 2
  • janemo31janemo31 Member Posts: 2
    my passat makes a clicking noise at the front wheels when turning left or right...sounding like there is a stick under the wheel...but there isn't. any ideas what it could be? bearings? i have no idea
    CV joint(s) would be my guess. Do you have an weird looking grease splattered in the front wheelwells? Or you might see it on the inside surface of the rim. What year? How many miles? Passats are known to have longevity issues with the outer CV boots.
  • hwoodallhwoodall Member Posts: 2
  • hwoodallhwoodall Member Posts: 2
    Help! My 2006 VW Passat suddenly is making a high pitch Noise (Like a jet engine) during idle/park and deceleration, when I accerelate higher than 2RPM it goes away but as soon as I left off the gas peddle it continues even after you turn off the car engine and then slowly fades away. The sounds almost appears to coming from between the transmission and engine (weird i know). Any ideas any one? We pulled the transmission out and we do not see anything unusual (thought might be torque converter)......I have over 100k miles on this car.
  • bwrpwrbwrpwr Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a '01 passat glx 5 speed, its got a 100k and seems to be in great shape. but today a "STOP CHECK MANUAL" warning light came on with beeps and an ABS BRAKE FAULT message following. does any one Know what this means? The pads rotors and fluid levels all seem to be ok. Any help would be much appreciated. I just want to know whats up before I any where.
    I do not know the definitive answer but it looks like ABS system is malfunctioning.
    Does anybody know if ABS computer is under one of front seats?
    Water intrusion problem?

Krzys
    no water damage, int. is perfect, I was thinking the ABS module, but don't really know. not so familiar with this car?????????
    You might want to google "passat ABS rebuild" for diagnosis help and solutions.
    thanks for the tip altair4, much appreciated
    bwrpwr: Sounds like an ABS system problem as someone suggested. However, don't rule out the water intrusion problem that krzyss mentioned. There could be some minimal seepage due to a clogged sunroof drain channel that has corroded the under-carpet computer. Best bet would be to have your car scoped and see if you can find the correct code. Good luck, vwdawg
  • joseppi63joseppi63 Member Posts: 5
    I just ate $6,000 in negative equity to get out of a 2003 Passat because I was so tired of being at the shop every couple of weeks. That Passat was among the biggest automotive disappointments I've experienced in my life.

I have owned Volkswagens all my life, new and old, but I will never buy another new one again. Pre-1975 bus, squareback, or notchback, maybe . . . but nothing new!!!

Signing out . . .
    Joe
  • nnejinneji Member Posts: 3
    My VW Passat 1999 model car has been flashing oil light when the car is used with the air conditioner for about 30 minutes. If however I use the car without AC, I hardly notice the Oil light flash.
    I have replaced the Oil pump, Oil switch, Oil filter and Oil but it continued.
    I have just replaced the top cylinder gasket and have even washed the radiator, but it persisted. We have scanned it with VAG-COM (VCDS) software, but no fault was seen.
    What do you think could be the likely fault? What do I do?
    Please help.
    Which engine?
    how many miles on this engine?
  • smaltwnbysmaltwnby Member Posts: 1
    I am not getting any power to the fuel pump of my passat. I replaced it thinking it had burned out but still no juice to the new pump.
    118000 Miles on the Engine
    Check the fuse connecting the fuel pump. Maybe it is blown.If so, then replace with the correct fuse. Goodluck
    Are you using the oil recommended by VW?

Are you using a high quality brand-name German filter?

Has anyone plugged in an actual analog gauge to get a PSI reading (to make sure the sensor is not defective?)

If the gauge shows an actual low reading, and if you are using the exact oil specified by VW (probably a synthetic?), and a good oil filter, then you may have a big problem here.

The oil pump does not control the oil pressure, only the oil flow. The oil pressure is controlled by a number of factors, one of them being the clearances of your engine bearings.

The only other thing I can think of is if your engine has an oil pressure relief valve, and if that is stuck open. (in other words, completely bypassing your filter).
    We still don't know which engine - turbo or v6.

I'm betting on coked oil clogging the oil pickup tube in the sump, but that only a WAG (if it's a turbo).
  • kevinwangkevinwang Member Posts: 1
    Hi freind,

I am a new user of the carspace,could you please tell me something how to use it.
    Thanks.
    And I am Kevin wang from china and my main business is lubrication equipment,grease pump ,oil dispensers,Auto lifters,Tyre changers,Truck tyre changers,wheel banlancers,etc.

Thanks and kind regards,

Kevin wang
    Welcome!

Here's a good set of instructions:

http://support.edmunds.com/faq-Forums-852.aspx

Please be aware that we don't allow the selling or solicitation of any products in the forums. We are here to share information among ourselves, not to do business. We hope you will share your expertise with us.

Visiting Host
  • juliet2010juliet2010 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings - my 1999 turbo v 4 1.8 liter engine (166K) has a flashing oil pressure light...my regular mechanic who has been looking after since I bought it used five years ago, says "Uh oh!" and that I have a choice replace the engine or the car. Another mechanic who works on geratic VW's says it might be the screen in the oil pan might be clogged and that is fixable.

My question is "Can they both be right?" At what point to a say good bye to the car...the Blue Book is about $1500. I have never had a car this old before and some guidance would be appreciated. I know the water pump will probably be going soon too..help!
    Unless one of them actually inserted an oil pressure gauge into the engine and read the "real number", then in fact nobody really knows what's going on.

Since it's a 1.8 Turbo the first thing I'd check for is oil gelling problems.
    Rejoice, Rejoice: the car which was/ is the worst car I have ever owned is now someone else's problem. The 2000 Passat is no longer in my driveway and I will never, ever, own another piece of Volkswagen garbage. Good luck to all you other owners. I am out of here. BYE............
    Hello All: Need to replace front upper control arm and CV joint on my 2002 Passat. Tried to remove the pinch/clamp bolt so I could remove the control arms, but after eight winters in the north country, it seems to be frozen in place. I have soaked it liberally with PB Blaster, hit the thread end with a small sledge, even tried a MAPP torch to no avail. Anyone had any success with other methods of getting this little bugger free? Thanks for suggestions...vwdawg
  • dsox1dsox1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Did you find out the issue, I ahev the exact same issue, dropped the car at VW yesterday and they can't seem to figure the issue out, will update when finished, 87K miles,
  • jimbo92jimbo92 Member Posts: 20
    My daughter's 2005 passat 1.8t,has a check engine light.she changed oil/filter at vw service,it did not go away,and they did not even notice or tell her about it.light was on before she took car in for service.does any body have any idea what the check engine light could be for.thanks.
  • tommy8stommy8s Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2010
    My 2002 has the same situation. From others helping on this site, it would appear - IN MY CASE - to be 1 or both of the sensors needing replaced. My check engine light has been on for the past year - 10,000 miles or so. YOUR DAUGHTER'S CAR MIGHT BE DIFFERENT.

Search past engine light posts and you might find where someone indicated the sensors are left and right and cost approx, $300 each.

I am open to anyone correcting me.
  • jimbo92jimbo92 Member Posts: 20
    thanks,tommy8s,also when she took the car for service,they gave her a list of things thats needed to be done to the passat.change timing belt/tensioner,$1000.00....4 new tires,$720.00.....brakes,$800.00....inner driver side boot,$320.00.car has 55,000 miles.5 years in april,2010.had check engine light last year,they changed heater core,said it was leaking,under warranty.she is in sacramento,anybody know a reliable private vw shop there.
    What is the milage?