Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• bonneluvrbonneluvr Member Posts: 6
    I have a friend with a 95 GTP that won't start. The car has 80k miles on it. He said if he leaves the battery connected it drains quickly (I have the same problem with my 95 SSEi but it's due to the aftermarket alarm system). He tells me that he used to be able to play with the steering wheel a bit and soon it would catch and start. Now even playing with the steering wheel, it won't start. Sounds like an electrical issue, right? Perhaps the ignition switch? Any ideas what to check?
  • westterwestter Member Posts: 1
    Just got the car, security light kept coming on while I was driving, so I used my other key, it wouldn't come on as often but now it won't start period (everything else works fine). Checked fuse also, is it the pass key or maybe the starter?
  • 88kx88kx Member Posts: 5
    It isn't just Pontiac it's all GM engines with 3.8 eng. GM should be made to pay for (class action law suit)all failures due to poor engineering. Putting hot exhaust gas into plastic about 1/16 of an inch away from a coolant passage is a sure failure and it doesn't take an engineer to figure that out. Have you had the Pressure Control Solenoid fail in trans yet? Same situation there, bad part and all transmissions on all GM mid size cars will have that failure from about 1997 to 2004. No wonder they are loosing sales. Built in at the factory defects and they know it and don't fix it.
  • 88kx88kx Member Posts: 5
    Pressure Control Solenoid has failed. I have 2000 and first one went out at 50K second just failed at 70k. All GM trans from about 97' to 2004 have this problem and GM knows it but won't do anything to fix it. No wonder they are loosing market share.
  • shontomshontom Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 GTP that started acting crazy a few weeks ago.. Went out to start the car after being inside for a few hours and it wouldn't start. The dashboard lights were on without key in the ignition but other than that there was no power. the engine cranks but won't start. After siiting for a day it started fine adn ran fine. Than happened again the next day. the same situation happened numerous times. Long story short the dealer (on 3rd time in shop) said that there is an "open" in the fuse relay assembly.. good news to have the problem found out.. but he is stating that noone carries the part and it has to be specially ordered from manufacturer.. the kicker? he doesn't know when he can get the part.. the bonus?? 750 bucks parts and labor. I'm pretty sure after everything I hvae gone through this is the problem.. but how can noone carry the part? that doesn't make sense to me. :cry:
  • shontomshontom Member Posts: 2
    This is what was happening to me. I got two codes.. one being data computer something or another.. and the other being Anti-Theft system.. My GTP is a 99 too and they first switched out the ignition switch.. the dealer told me only two things could cause the problem.. the keys or ignition switch. I used two sets of keys with same problem so switch it was. 350 dollars gone and still had same problem. If you see my other post My electrical fuse relay assembly is apparently bad and is causeing the problem. Along with my Low trac light and display information center resetting periodically. 750 dollars to fix that mess and the part has to be specially made from the manufacturer. Hope your luck is better than mine.
  • scapagliatascapagliata Member Posts: 17
    Ok everyone with a Grand Prix. Go to the GM site and click on the 'contact us' box. Doesn't take long, but work your way through it and leave them a detailed message about all your concerns. I've done that and a person from GM contacted me. They made notes and are looking into my problems and concerns. They also said, the more people that contact them, the more likely they will investigate further for a possible recall on particular parts. So, I think if everyone on here would do that, we all might get a little help eventually.
  • revsrevs Member Posts: 5
    Hi! Did you find a solution to your problem? My 1992 Grand Prix LE is experiencing a similar problem.
  • revsrevs Member Posts: 5
    I own a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix with 92,000 miles. Car had been running great until recently. These are the symptoms:

Fuel gauge indicator remains lit in spite of the tank being full. Didn't think it was a big deal. The car ran OK.
    Drove the car for more than 20 miles, ran fine and it cut off in traffic. The car started immediately.
    Drove the car again on a long trip on the freeway, as soon as I took the exit the car acted funny (like it was shaking and making an effort to continue running) it cut out. It started immediately, during the trip, I would have re-start the car and go. Then it died completely. I was unable to start the car again. Had it towed. The mechanic could not reproduce the problem “this dying problem”. Based on the diagnostic test the mechanic replaced the fuel pump and disconnected lock up torque converter system.

The fix did not work and I encountered the same problem. The car had to be towed again. At the shop the car started immediately and again the car would not stall or die when the mechanic took it for a spin. He is now recommending replacing the crankshaft position sensor and module. HELP!
  • belo4884belo4884 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Grand Prix base and I have noticed within the last few months that when I am driving that the car feels like it has no power(much less than normal). When this occurs if I restart the car it is fine.

I have also noticed that every once in a while when I first start the car after it has sat for awhile, that there is a chatter noise under the hood(I'm thinking A/C compressor).

I am a salesman for an automotive and tire center so I am around cars all day long and I know when things are not right. I have talked to the dealer about the lack of power issue but they said that there is nothging they can do if no check lights are on(understandable). Is any of this common?
  • scsusanscsusan Member Posts: 1
    This problem is painfully obvious that there is a defect from GM. I would suggest that EVERYONE who has this problem call the GM - Pontiac assistance for customers in the book and at GM.com. I called and they offered some help paying for this "SAFETY" issue. I don't think anyone's insurance company would like to hear that the key is stuck in the car in a parking lot. SO far this problem has ended up costing me $593 after replacing the shift assembly, the ignition, and several silenoids. I also made the dealer write on the workorder, that if the problem continued it would be at their expense 100% to fix it including labor.

Good Luck! :sick:
  • wb45039wb45039 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! I'm new to this site after doing a google search to help fix this problem.
    I have a 2005 GTP and while I love the car in general, I've been having problems with the headliner and the sunroof shade. I would be interested in hearing from others about their opinions of the quality of the sun shade. I noticed last summer that when the car got warm the shade pane tended to bow downward in the middle. I've also had this annoying creek or ticking sound (depends on the day) whenever I encounter rough pavement. It seems to be related to the pliability of the shade and rigid plastic of the pice you grab to move the shade back and forth. You can push up on the shade and it makes this noise. I'm shocked at how cheap this part seems to be and I had the dealer look at this and they said it was "normal".
    Thanks for your feedback....
  • jennyajennya Member Posts: 1
    Hi looking for help / advice from anyone who has encountered this problem.
    I have a 98 Grand prix GTP 98k miles. had a new engine put in at 96k miles as the rods went on the old one.

The new problem is: I just had a battery replaced at the dealership, next day the car stopped so they just replaced the fuel pump.
    However the car still will not start, AS the new pump is getting no power. I'm being told that the fuel pump relay will not engage, because my Automate alarm is malfunctioning, and will not send an enable signal to trigger the relay.
    Now the dealer tells me because of this I will need to have the alarm removed and also need to have the PCM replaced ( cost $3,500 the PCM is in disable mode and cannot be reprogramed because of the alarm)

Has anyone had the same problem, I've had both relays replaced. the relay is a 5 pin relay, the fuse is good it has power, the top pin on the relay gets power.
    All the wiring has been checked at the dealership and has continuity, they did a full diagnosis of the PCM and all is fine, except the fuel enable signal to the relay.

Is there some other way this can be fixed short of paying to replace the PCM
  • johnson11johnson11 Member Posts: 1
    Try the spark plugs. My bro had the same car same problem. changed the spark plugs and it worked just fine.
  • porter2porter2 Member Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and the key got stuck in the ignition and it wouldnt turn all the way back to the off position. I found a little plastic plug under the steering column that is the size of a dime and pried it off. Then all you have to do is find something long and skinny, I used the inside of a pen ,and push it up there straight while turning your inition back and it should free it. Its some kind of button on the ignition switch under the tumblers for the lock. Now i have to find out how much the dealership wants. My ignition switch is made by AC-Delco.....good luck
  • apolloramonapolloramon Member Posts: 1
    Hello.
    I just purchased a used 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix from an original owner. This is the first time I've purchased anything American so I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Three days after my purchase the low coolant light turned on and it hasn't turned off. I drained the coolant, added new coolant and changed the radiator cap to the suggested "Stant 11230" radiator cap. The coolant doesn't appear to leak an the oil doesn't have water in it. The light still doesn't go away. HELP!!!! Any suggestions?
  • pairvinpairvin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 grand prix gtp. Here the past couple of weeks it has been shifting hard into 2nd and 3rd. I have read a little about this and some stuff says it is the pressure control solenoid and some say it is the throttle body. Could someone tell me there opinion on the matter.
  • tschocktschock Member Posts: 2
    I'm having that same problem with the coolant light. I know I don't a have a leak. I have a 2000 Grand Prix. This past year all of my windows have died. They just slide down when I have them up. Each one cost me $500 dollars to replace. I see several other people on here also have had window troubles. I am currently speaking with a GM person, so hopefully they may do something about this.
    And my newest problem is the heat. no heat.
    I think this will be my last pontiac.
  • jmac74jmac74 Member Posts: 10
    I have not had too many problems with my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I have put alot of miles on it, 147k. While driving it home the other day the "service engine soon light" came on flashing a couple times, then a white puff of smoke came out of the hood. Since i was only a mile from home i felt i could make it home, boy was i wrong. Anyway, i began to go and the engine sputtered but the light went off and the smoke was gone. Half way to home the car completely shut off and i didn't have any steering or brakes. Luckily i got the car into a vacant parking lot without incident and popped the hood. That's when i found out the car was on fire in the engine compartment. It torched the whole engine compartment. If anyone has any info, please share.
    have a mechanic look at the belt to the supercharger. I have a 2000 GTP and had the same happen. Should only cost about 80.00.
    I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP and it caught fire while i was driving it. I responded to a couple other messages and we all should get together on this.
  • gmfan007gmfan007 Member Posts: 77
    Sorry, can't help you. Our '98 GT sunroof has worked flawlessly since we bought the car new. The dark tinted sunroof glass should protect the inner panel. Any chance the sunroof is an aftermarket add on or the glass has been replaced with lighter tint?
  • laynelayne Member Posts: 4
    The exact same thing happened to us, 15 minutes after driving into our garage, car ignited itself under the hood and was engulfed in flames and smoke by the time we found it. Luckily this happened at 10pm at night, and we were still awake, I don't want to think of the outcome had it happened at 3am, our house and possibly our family would have been lost. Our insurance investigators and engineers found point of origin of fire and concluded it IS a GM manufacturer error. They are pursuing GM for the settlement they paid us. It's terrible they are not recalling these. Mine was 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix, GTP, which until that night, I had loved.
    Never another GM car ever.
    Good luck,
    Layne
  • laynelayne Member Posts: 4
    We lost our 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP in a car fire in our garage in December. Got home from town, and parked it in the garage, and within 15 minutes we smelled awful smoke, ran out there and the garage was completely engulfed in flames, and the car. There was no warning or anything. Up until that time, I had loved that car. We only had 81k miles on it. Our insurance engineer found point of origin of fire and they concluded that it is indeed a GM mfg. error. They are going after GM to get back what they paid us in settlement. It's terrible to wonder what would have happened had the fire started in our garage at 3am, instead of at 10:pm at night. Thank goodness we were awake to fight it and call 911.
    I just cannot believe there is and was no recall.
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I too had a 1999 Grand Prix GTP which my nephew bought from me when I purchased my 2002 GTP (I now have a 2006 GXP). Anyway a few months ago, my nephew left the 1999 GTP for an oil change and then went across the street to his office. Five minutes later he received a call that the GTP was on fire. The fire dept. had to put out the fire. The fire was indeed in the engine. It had to be cut out and the fire destroyed everything up to and including the new windshield. He had a new Infiniti so he was okay for traveling to work, but didn't want to use the new car for work -- just the GTP for work. He received a settlement from the insurance company for the amount the car would be selling for from the dealer in his area in NJ. He then bought a used Laredo for work. I have read so many stories about these fires. I have had five Pontiacs -- three GTP's. The 1999 was the only fire. This is very scary.
    If anyone who has had a Pontiac Grand Prix or Grand Am catch on fire and wants to organize a lawsuit with me, give me an email. You can get my email address wherever you see jmac74. I am serious about this, GM needs to stop the problem before someone gets seriously injured or killed. I was lucky enough to get out of the car before anything happened to me. I think that was a sign for me to help stop the problem.
  • left3fieldleft3field Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 GT and have recently had the infamous "intake leak" problem and have fixed it myself. Now I have a new problem, the car won't fire. I have triple checked the plug wire placement and all the other wire plug-ins and they are fine. The engine will turn over, but it won't fire, once in a while I get a soft putter, but no real indication it is going to start. Is there procedures that need to be done to the fuel system (re-pressurize or bleed air) after it has been taken apart? I am really frustrated with this and can use some help.
  • compg05compg05 Member Posts: 1
    I have had a constant rattle of the surround ring of the sunroof on my 05 Comp G. I brought it to the dealer and they ordered a new one. They will install next Monday. Hopefully this will fix the problem. It's not "normal". That's their brush off. Go back. i did.
  • bford_2bford_2 Member Posts: 1
    Recently my dashboard has started beeping whenever I drive over a bump or a pothole. It's the same beeping noise that lets you know a seatbelt is unbuckled, door ajar, etc. But, no message displays in the driver information center. The last time my dashboard started beeping randomly, it turned out that I needed a new fuel pump. Does anyone know what is going on?
  • wayameanwayamean Member Posts: 1
    I am having hesitation problems with my 2000 grandprix GT
    when excellerating at about 10% throttle i get hesitation any where from 50km to 100km/hour. It does this between 2000 and 2400 rpm when it get's to 2400 it drops to 2200 even with the same amount of gas (foot has'nt moved). I have run fuel injection cleaner thruogh it as well as changed the fuel filter. I have taken it to the dealer(I have a friend that works there) we took it to for a long test drive with there scanner and nothing came up no codes at all.

any body have a solution to this problem?

thank in advance
  • foxy3foxy3 Member Posts: 3
    Try this, it worked for my 1998 Sunfire and a 1975 Monte Carlo.
    Press & hold the 2 & 3 buttons @ the same time for about 10 seconds; a 2 or 3 digit code will appear, write this # down,press & hold the am/fm button for about 10 seconds: another code will appear, write this # down, then call 1-800-537-5140 and enter 202108 followed by the # key, then enter the #'s that you wrote down from your radio followed by the * key. The call will give you a 3 or 4 digit override code. Write this code # down so you have it if you ever need it again. Enter this # into your radio following the instructions in your owners manual. If you get an override code that starts with 0, you drop the 0 when entering the code into your radio.
    If you don't have an owners manual, try this, press & hold the hour button until the first 2 digits of your code come up, then press & hold the minute button until the last 2 digits show. Then press the am/fm button. This should reset your stereo. It did mine.
    Hope you find this helpful. :shades:
  • foxy3foxy3 Member Posts: 3
    Try this, it worked for my 1998 Sunfire and a 1975 Monte Carlo.
    Press & hold the 2 & 3 buttons @ the same time for about 10 seconds; a 2 or 3 digit code will appear, write this # down,press & hold the am/fm button for about 10 seconds: another code will appear, write this # down, then call 1-800-537-5140 and enter 202108 followed by the # key, then enter the #'s that you wrote down from your radio followed by the * key. The call will give you a 3 or 4 digit override code. Write this code # down so you have it if you ever need it again. Enter this # into your radio following the instructions in your owners manual. If you get an override code that starts with 0, you drop the 0 when entering the code into your radio.
    If you don't have an owners manual, try this, press & hold the hour button until the first 2 digits of your code come up, then press & hold the minute button until the last 2 digits show. Then press the am/fm button. This should reset your stereo. It did mine.
    Hope you find this helpful. :shades:
  • rectreyrectrey Member Posts: 1
    CHECK YOUR SUPERCHARGER OIL LEVEL WITH A 3/16 ALLEN WRENCH SUPER CHARGER WILL RATTLE IF LOW
  • seadootomseadootom Member Posts: 2
    When my car is running my sunroof will open by itself.Sometimes it wont do it for days and other times it will do it constantly. Sometimes you won't be able to close it unless the car is turned off and let set for a few minutes and then restarted.
  • bush1bush1 Member Posts: 1
    My GT will not run. first it started lossing power then it stoped completly. I've changed the spark plugs, coil packs, crank shaft posistion senor,wires, fuel filter fuel relay, fuel pressure regulator. what else can i do to make it run... Please help ... thanks in advanced
  • hello4hello4 Member Posts: 2
    my grandprix has 7000km Ive been to the dealer ship about 5 times and they don't know where the problem is.When i'm at stop sign and let go of the brake it hesitates before i hit the gas.When i stop and going up small incline and hit the gas it starts to gerk till i pick up some speed.
    Went to different dealer ship they called gm and they said there is no fix right now . any help please
  • defender2defender2 Member Posts: 1
    hello4:

My 2005 GP has the shake problem you're talking about. It doesn't hesitate, it just shakes when moving from a stop. The dealer checked it out and the tech. told me that something was definately wrong. The tech made a suggestion to GM for a possible fix, and the GM technical advisors said the problem was within tolerable limits. My car had this problem from day one. I think GM should take these vehicles back if they can't fix the problem.
  • hello4hello4 Member Posts: 2
    last week my wife called GM and we told them of are problem she told us to go back to the dealer ship, and to talk to the service manger.I went to the dealer ship we went for a ride same problem. I stoped right before a sped bump and hit the gas the car started to shake when I started to climb got to the top let go of the gas started to roll back and it was shaken really bad. We toke another 2005 GP out went to the same spots and no problems.We are now waiting for service rep.
  • ijonesijones Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue and i found that there was a wire on the fuel pump horness that was exposed and burned. Have someone take the fuel pump out and check the entire horness that plugs into the fuel pump. I bet you will find your issue. Don't replace the PCM, no need to. Check wiring to the fuel pump.

Let me know
  • msprainismsprainis Member Posts: 5
    Just happened to me last night. I somehow was able to grab a fire extinguisher and put out the fire before much damage was done. Until recall or something happens, I suggest posting if anyone is to drive this vehicle carry an ABC fire extinguisher!
  • bumbleeebumbleee Member Posts: 1
    I JUST BOUGHT MY SECOND GRAND PRIX TWO MONTHS AGO
    AND IT'S MY PRIDE AND JOY, OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT
    I'VE JUST RAN INTO A WATER LEAK IN THE BACK PASSENGER
    FLOOR AND ALONG THE INSIDE DOOR RAILING. I'VE CHECKED
    AND DOUBLE CHECKED FOR VISUAL WATER SPOT'S AND HAVE
    NOT FOUND ANY. MY GUESS IS THE WATER IS RUNNING DOWN INTO THE DOOR PANEL. MY QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP IS, WHAT CAUSES THIS AND HOW DO I REPAIR THE PROBLEM?. THE CAR IS NOT UNDER WARRENTY AND I'D RATHER NOT PAY A DEALER. CAN YOU SUGGEST WHAT PART'S ARE NEEDED?.
    THANKYOU
  • anndjanndj Member Posts: 3
    Hi Jmac74,

I would be interested in your class action suit. I listed my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP fire on 11/12/05 #492. I called a lawyer, but he said he was not the right kind of lawyer for this kind of suit, and it would be very costly to sue GM. It would cost more than the car was worth. I did report the fire to GM's Allogations Dept., who in turn forwarded my complaint to ESIS (an investigation/research company). I sent ESIS all the pictures, repair orders, etc., but have not received anything in response from GM.
  • aspgp302aspgp302 Member Posts: 2
    A couple weeks ago, my passenger's side window wouldn't roll down wether tried from passenger's side or driver's side, then one day it magically switched and the driver's side window would not roll down, but the passenger's side worked again. This is how it remained up through this morning. This afternoon, I got in and went to roll down the window and now neither window will roll down. Any ideas? :confuse:
  • aspgp302aspgp302 Member Posts: 2
    And now, the passenger's side is working again and I didn't do anything but turn the car off and let it sit for a couple hours and then started it up again. Please, if you have any idea what my problem could be...let me know
  • lxxlovedovexxllxxlovedovexxl Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same problem with my 97 grand prix. have you fixed the shifter? how did you fix it?
    i have a 97 grand prix that is doing the same thing. i was going to replace the windshield but i wanted to make sure that would fix the problem before i went and did it.
    I have a 97 grand prix. I got my car used at 98k i have had it for just over 3 years and have had nothing but problems. it now has 140k My current problems are that the passenger floor board gets wet when it rains. its not just a little water either. then i notice my radio, sub, and amp all go out sometimes. i unplugged my car charger and that seemed to fix it for about 2 days. then i was at a atm and put my car in park and couldn't get it out of park. i had to use the shifter lock release. i dont know what would cause this, any suggestions?
    Then I have this clumpy clay looking stuff in the radiator. i was told that something was probably put in the car to stop the radiator from leaking. i have tried to flush it out but it hasn't helped. :cry: HELP PLEASE.
  • millerjosmillerjos Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GT, I noticed when I was driving about 60 to 70 mph my RPM gauge was at 3000 to 3500 RPM's. Does this seem kind of high to anyone? Thanks
  • shizwakshizwak Member Posts: 1
    2000 gtp. there is no power going to the fuel pump. the fuses are all good, and the relays are getting voltage, but nothing turns them on. also the fuel reads FULL and theres 1/4 tank in there.HELP!
  • mberney13mberney13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Grand Prix GT...I just went to change the air filter and all was fine until I tried to put the cover back on. There's a thing sticking out at the bottom so I can't put it on all the way. I can't put it between an of the grooves because it's just there. What's up with that? Can somebody tell me how to get the thing on the right way? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.