Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    2004weasel20042004weasel2004 Member Posts: 2
    i recently ran into a problem with my gt.... i saw that someone else had a similar problem but didnt see the answer... when i have my ac on and everything set to cold the driver side will blow hot and the passenger cold..... if i mess with the driver side contorol a little bit by moving it up and down and what not it seems to be fixed for about 30 seconds... then it blows hot again... is it just the switches itself?
  • Options
    bigskidoggbigskidogg Member Posts: 8
    i have a 2000 gtp and need to replace my the fuel filter,if anyone knows the procedure for this would you please post it if possible? also if it is a hard job? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
  • Options
    bigskidoggbigskidogg Member Posts: 8
    does anyone know how to check, add, or change the supercharger oil?
  • Options
    anndjanndj Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2002 Grand Prix GTP that did the same thing. I went to the dealer and they said it has a sensor in the steering column and the shifter that has to be syncronized. They fixed it and it was fine until it burned up in my parking area! Be careful.
  • Options
    ken7308ken7308 Member Posts: 6
    Any luck with the problem?
  • Options
    imastr8man20imastr8man20 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I need some help. My 1997 Pontiac Grand PRix SE is consuming an unusual high amount of gas. I mean it consumes like 10 - 12 miles per gallon. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can do regarding this problem? I would really appreciate any help. Thank you.
  • Options
    lrs1986lrs1986 Member Posts: 1
    ok so here is the thing...i know nothing about cars and i need some help. I have a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Here is the problem...I drove my car and everything was fine and then i went into the mall for about an hour and came back out and when i went to start my car it was having trouble and then i pressed the gas and it started up but the rpm's kept going up and down constantly and then white smoke started coming out of the exhaust so i turned it off. I checked everything and found that the coolant was low...like there was nothing in it but my light never came on to tell me that. So that was like a week ago and my car wont start at all. i had to have someone tow it to my house because i would act like it was going to start but it wont turn over....can anyone help me please.... :(
  • Options
    psyclepsycle Member Posts: 1
    Have a '93 Grand Prix V6, the temp gauge is going up and down from cool to red in 30 seconds and back the other way. Anyone else experience this problem? Thermostat,gauge ??
  • Options
    pjmz28pjmz28 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I have a 99 Grand Prix SE. Recently I had a blower resistor card replaced because my hvac blower worked only from the #3 setting and up. A few weeks later I noticed that when starting my car my daytime running lights would take about 10 seconds to kick on. They used to come on right when I turned the ignition key. Most recently my climate control panel has been acting up on me. When I start my car and put the heat (or a/c) on my drl's cut off and everything losses power. No heat, no a/c. Not even rear window defogger. When I turn the hvac off my drl's come back on. My mechanic is at a total loss. What makes it worse is that it doesn't happen all the time which makes it even more difficult for my mechanic to find the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    opblockhuggaopblockhugga Member Posts: 1
    my grand prix head lights wont shut off they stay on and even the full light signal in the dash stays there if i pull the lever back it dosent go away i wonder if the lever is bad or its a fuse or a relay please help me im tired of removing the negitive side of the battery everytime i go somewhere..
  • Options
    mgglasermgglaser Member Posts: 5
    I also have a 2004 GT2 with 20,000 miles. Recently I am experiencing the same problem. I'm not using ethanol type fuel. I had it back to the dealer twice. The first time they updated the computer but no fix. Last week they had the car for three days but could not find anything wrong, no codes etc. They say they need the car when the problem is actually happening but it does restart if the car sits for a while. Were you every able to get this problem resolved as my dealer is out of ideas??

Thanks,

Marty
  • Options
    dtruaxdtruax Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 GTP and had a problem where it would start speratecly, and now it does not want to start @ all it turns over fine, I checked the fuel pressure and am getting 40 pounds, I pulled the ECM and had it checked and it was good, all fuses are good, per the book i should be getting 48 psi of fuel pressure and am only getting 40, I put a new fuel filter on 2 weeks ago, I have also changed the fuel pump and no change pressure is still @ 40 psi, am going to change the filter one more time and see what happens, i am presuming that insufficent fuel pressure would not send signal to the ECM to send power to the coil packs for spark?
    Looking for any ideas on where to go next???

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    msprainismsprainis Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 gtp that recently caught on fire and unfortunately I was able to put out the fire within a minute. Since then the shop had the car for 3 weeks replaced a wiring harness that runs along the supercharger and some other wiring. I had it back for one day for the alternator, starter, and fan motors all to fail from the acid from the fire extinguisher. One week later I got the car back and started experiencing your problem the next day. I took it back a third time for this and they could not duplicate the problem after four days, I got the car back again. This time I video taped the problem trying to start the car. They were able to determine it was the anti-theft module in the steering collum. Pontiac is aware of this problem and they do offer $ assistance when the vehicle is under 50k miles. Good luck, I love my GTP but it is now for sale!
  • Options
    gtjargtjar Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having similar problems and was wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong? I would appreciate any help greatly.
    Thanks
  • Options
    So far no answers. It's been a week since the dealer had the car but the problem has not occured again. I'll post any results if & when the problem is ever solved.
  • Options
    dodge01dodge01 Member Posts: 12
    What did they charge you to fix that??? My wife's is doing the same thing
  • Options
    woody_1974woody_1974 Member Posts: 2
    I went to turn off my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT today and the fan won't shut off. It's in the off position but it's still coming out full blast. We've actually been having a problem with the fan (a/c and heat) where it will only WORK on the MAX setting. Now the fan is blasting air out in the max setting even when it's turned off. It's too late to call a garage and i don't want to leave my fan running all night. Any ideas??
  • Options
    chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    Hi! It's up to your insurance company to go after GM. You will not get anywhere with them. It would be very difficult for you to sue a big company like GM. My 1999 GTP, which I no longer own, but my nephew did, went on fire this past fall. The fire started in the engine compartment five minutes after the car was turned off. The car was destroyed up and including the windshield. He was able to retrieve all his papers. I saw the pictures. The car was a total wreck from the fire. The fire dept. had to put the fire out. His insurance company investigated and settled with him and he received the amount of money that the dealer in his area would be selling the car for. He was quite satisfied. The bottomline is -- it's up to your insurance company to go after GM. I assume you had comprehensive coverage on your policy. If you had collision, you had comprehensive coverage. If not, you have a problem, then. Chats1.
  • Options
    msprainismsprainis Member Posts: 5
    Good luck. Just be glad your house didn't burn and you let the car burn. I was stupid enough to put the fire out within a minute, so my insurance company was to fix it. 60 days later I just got my car back after my deductible, rental car additional charges and a supposedly unrelated $300.00 in repairs. What a nightmare. I am trying to sell it. Interested?
  • Options
    rdelongrdelong Member Posts: 2
    I had an engine fire in my 1999 Grand Prix GTP and as a result my car was totaled. I have been trying to get information from GM. My insurance co. has been very supportive. I want to know why my engine caught fire. If you have any information about these fires and/or if you have pursued this please contact me. redelong@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    rdelongrdelong Member Posts: 2
    My 1999 Grand Prix GTP has been totaled due to an engine fire on May 15th 2006. I have talked to the customer service dept., the legal dept., and now am waiting to hear from the claims dept. at GM. The investigative dept., from the fire dept. listed the cause as unknown. After reading all the posts here, on pontiacowners, and other websites, GM denies knowing anything about these numerous engine fires. My insurance co. USAA, has been completely supportive so far. I have also talked to my Pontiac dealer and the service manager from another dealship. I intend to report them to www.safercars.gov. the Dept. of Transportation website who is responsible for recalls. If you have any additional information contact me at rdelong@sbcglobal.net.
  • Options
    The dealer was able to diagnose my problem because they were finally unable to start the car. The ignition module was intermittenly defective & was replaced. All is well, FINALLY.
  • Options
    Ignition module was defective & was replaced. All is well.
  • Options
    adamssm6232adamssm6232 Member Posts: 1
    Had the same problems with my 2004. Took it into the dealer 4 times until it would no longer start and had to have it towed to the dealer to, the dealer triple checked everything and their determination was bad fuel, which cost me about 400 to have them flush and clean all the fuel componets. That was done in Jan 06 now in may it is starting to do this again. I think I am going to trade this thing in. I have had the front end repaired twice doing to clicking noses when turning, then had to have the radio replaced twice becuse two just stopped working. The real sad part of this story this vechile has 15000 miles. I bought it in May 04 drove it until Dec 04 went to Iraq for 8 months and now this WTF

Help
  • Options
    mels1229mels1229 Member Posts: 4
    I love this car - it's my 3rd Grand Prix (1st was a '98 GT coupe, 2nd was an '02 GT sedan). This one is such an improvement over the previous body style. Pontiac really did change just about everything - the seats, trunk, interior styling, and ride. I'm very happy with the car so far. Except....

I've read a few posts regarding the hiss problems. I bought my '06 GT. at the end of January and noticed the hiss early on. I have the Monsoon stereo with XM, as well as OnStar. I know the hiss is some kind of electrical interference problem. As soon as all of the dashboard lights and interior lights go off, so does the hiss. I waited until my first visit to the service department at 3000 miles to inquire about it. The service manager basically blew me off when I told him about it, since he couldn't hear it.
    Well, I was back in the service department on May 27th for my 6000 mile oil change, etc. This time I had the service advisor (not the manager) sticks his ear up to a speaker and of course he could hear the hiss. ;)

The problem was diagnosed to be an amplifier that failed internally. So, I waited for the part to come in and had my car in the shop all day yesterday (apparently replacing the amplifier required the removal of the back seats).

I drive away after the "repair" and realize that the hiss is still there! :mad: If anything it's worse now. I can try to ignore it, but it's so annoying! It is constant noise from the speakers.

Has anyone had any success with getting their hiss resolved? I'm wondering what I should do now.
  • Options
    mike150mike150 Member Posts: 1
    the last couple of weeks I have been having a problem where the car won't start. It sounds like it it going to and then it won't. I thought fuel problem. But I took it to a repair shop and they say that it is the probably the security system. This car has the chip in the key. The security light comes on when trying to start it. If you wait an hour or two it will then start. I could never get it to happen at the shop so they weren't able to run any test on as the manual say theat it has to be in the messed up mode to run the scan. Is there any way to shut off this feature. It is very annoying to come out to the car it just won't stay running.
  • Options
    jackflanjackflan Member Posts: 2
    This evening when I shut off the engine in my 2000 Grand Prix the A.C. blower motor continued to operate putting out putting out strong blasts of cold air. In order to stop this I removed the fuse that controls the blower motor. Does anyone have an idea as to what may have caused this problem to occur and what may be the solution(s).
  • Options
    jackflanjackflan Member Posts: 2
    I experienced the same problem last evening (6/03/06)which I reported in my posting # 772. The thought occurred to me this morning that perhaps you have already had your problem diagnosed and could share the result(s) with me.
    Thanks,
  • Options
    woody_1974woody_1974 Member Posts: 2
    We did have it fixed. The problem was a burned out relay. Hope your problem gets fixed soon...
  • Options
    chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    I have a 2006 Grand Prix GXP and have the hissing/humming sound. I have the Monsoon Speaker System also, OnStar and XM. Your dealer is an idiot! GM is aware of this problem and say that there is no remedy for this at this time. It is harmless so they won't repair it. Now, with my 2002 GTP I had the Bose System and OnStar -- no hissing. I think that the Monsoon System is not compatible with OnStar. I have spoken with CAC who is worthless, useless and downright stupid. I have written two letters to GM -- one to Mr. LaNeve and one to Mr. Dewar -- no response whatsoever. I do not fill out questionnaires anymore. I write across the top "I'll fill this out when you fix the humming/hissing sound." My dealer checks everytime I go there to see if a bulletin has come in for a fix. So far, no. I have told both the dealer and GM, after having bought five Pontiacs from the same dealer since 1992, no more GM cars. My dealer is actually great, but it is GM that I am furious with. GM says it is from the middle light. My brother who is an electrical engineer says it's from the OnStar. They are not compatible (OnStar with the Monsoon Speaker System). When I open my door and put my ear next to the speaker on either side I hear the hissing/humming for about fifteen seconds. Then it goes out, even if I'm cleaning the inside of the car with the door open, so it doesn't matter whether the door is open or shut, it'll go out. Right now, I just ignore it. I can hear it either from the light too or OnStar. I can't determine though which. It does not interfere with my radio or CD player at all. Once it goes off, it's off. Some people have said that their noise is terrible; really bad at high speeds. I don't have that. The CAC isn't even worth calling. They are not technicians -- more like telemarketers. All they do is look in the manual and call the dealer. Any idiot can do that. The CAC told me to go through the BBB. I did not. The CAC sent me a free oil change for my inconvenience. I already have 3 years of free oil changes!!
  • Options
    ksgtpksgtp Member Posts: 2
    Your '91 won't have a sensor. Since you have checked the actual level, and it it good, try replacing the thermostat. It could be stuck open or shut. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it anyway, if you haven't done this in a while. ;)
  • Options
    lakota1lakota1 Member Posts: 1
    I have only had my car a few months about a month after I bought it it wont start all the time. If it does start sometimes it shakes. Sometimes it wont even start. I could try 10 times in a row and nothing. But it will start if I press the gas a little after i start it which sucks. I have downloaded new hardware into computer, changed fuel and air filter, had fuel sensor cleaned and new spark plugs. Can anyone help I LOVE my car and want it fixed before I want to trade it!!!
  • Options
    I also had a similar problem. Car would start, the engine would shut off & then could not get it restarted. Sometimes it would restart quickly, other time it took several minutes. Had the car back three times before the problem was solved. They replaced the ignition module & all is well. Hope this helps solve your probelm. Good luck.
  • Options
    scottyward1scottyward1 Member Posts: 3
    Was wondering if anyone new why when I am driving the tachometer goes to zero and the TCS turns off? This will randomly happen and sometimes jolts the car when it does. Definitely something I wanna fix, and I am hoping it is not a $1000 fix
  • Options
    ksickmanksickman Member Posts: 1
    ">link titlewhen i am driving out of nowhere my rpms needle will stop working and my trackcion control light will go off and sometimes my car even dies
  • Options
    mmxermmxer Member Posts: 12
    Car has been running good, until a few days ago. It cut out while I was leaving a 7-11. Wouldnt start. After a few mins, it started but died again a few blocks from my house.
    Thinking it was a clogged fuel filter, I changed it out. Didnt help. Its seems to die out at 3-4k rpm if I hit the gas, but has died on lower rpm... (BTW I can hear the fuel pump engage when key is turned)

Took it to a shop, and they said the Crankshaft Position Sensor is bad and the Electronic Igination Module is failing.
    Car has 145k miles. Was wondering if others have had this problem? No check engine light. Not that I dont truse the shop, but other people with the problem and fix would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Options
    gambinogambino Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 with the same problem. There was a technical service bullitin by gm in april of 2005 regarding the issue. The problem is that as water runs down the windshield on the passenger side of the car it runs into the air box. You can find this by this:
    put your wipers in the upright position, Open the hood. Remove the plastic wiper fluid hose off the clips. remove the rubber gasket hood seal. there is a plastic cowling that covers the lower passenger side of the windshield. this is removed when you change the air filter for the passenger compartment. the trim screws are 2 piece clips. pull out the center (heads looks like a nail, and then pull out the outer section. There should be a 2 foot section of rubber gasket that is on the sheetmetal that the windshield rests on. This is supposed to deflect the water. Mine had fallen off, letting water run right into the fan box. GM sells a new colwing for this that replaces the gasket, and stops the water from hitting the airbox. It is not covered under warranty, but it's less than $4.00. (yes, a gm part for less than 4 bucks). This is easy to replace and can be done in 5 minutes.
  • Options
    brucekitbrucekit Member Posts: 2
    I like my 90 Grand Prix, but it has a few problems. First one up: No start when engine warmed up. Cold start great, driveability good. Shut it off, and I am waiting for 1-2 hrs. to start. Had 2 codes: Changed the MAP sensor and the Air Intake Sensor. No difference, but now I have the check engine light off. Took the ignition switch apart, looked like a few bad connections. Replaced it 2x, the main computer, the coils,the module under it, all to no avail. Can drive on long trip, or short trip,runs fine, till that restart. I have fuel but no spark on restart, till cold.
    Also the low fuel light comes on whenever it likes, full or empty.
    Also the rear leaf spring Moans on bumps.
    DS PW switch is 'opposite' of what is normal.Wiring ok
    Dash lights/radio lights intermittent, when they go off I hear a click under the dash.
    I like the car still, but help!
  • Options
    brucekitbrucekit Member Posts: 2
    I had this problem with a 1990 Grand Prix after they fixed the wiper linkage under warranty in about 1992. After two repeat trips with leaks they told me it could not be fixed.
    I diagnosed the problem and repaired it myself, with a bead of RTV on the underside of the plastic trim.
    They also told me that the linkage could not be worn out, after I diagnosed it. They did end up replacing the worn linkage!
  • Options
    kmax1940kmax1940 Member Posts: 1
    98 Grand Prix. 1 of the radiator fans wont work.

Here is my crazy question.
    Could the supercharger have anything to do with that?

The supercharger belt broke and I left it off.

I know the fan is good, I know the relay is good.
  • Options
    clrolandclroland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Grand Prix with 98,000 miles that is experiencing similar problems. By chance did you figure out what the problem was and how to fix it? Thank you.
  • Options
    Update. Replaceing the crank position senson and iginition control module fixed it. $90 parts $225 labor. not an easy fix.
  • Options
    Ignition control module.. I bet. I had the same problem. My module was WEAK... Would just click. Car would die out on me while driving, but replaceing the crankshaft postion senso fixed that.
  • Options
    wattersswatterss Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 grand prix GT, they replaced the upper and lower intakes under warranty on mine
  • Options
    lp285lp285 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem a few years back. My dealer charged me $1100.00 bucks and didn't fix it. I took it to a local mechanic and he changed a sensor. It was either a crankcase sensor or a crankshaft sensor but whichever it was it was not very expensive and did the trick
  • Options
    lp285lp285 Member Posts: 2
    Will that Pressure Control Solenoid cause the car to shift hard? My 97 shifts very hard after driving it for about 5 minutes. The only time after that it shift normally is if I'm really on it. I was thinking it was some sort of vacuum leak.
  • Options
    mikeb358mikeb358 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 gprix that has been running good, but today while driving the temperature gauge just bottomed out and stayed there, almost like it quit working, checked fluid levels and appears to be fine but gauge needle will not move off bottom....any ideas.....thanks
  • Options
    scottyward1scottyward1 Member Posts: 3
    i have to replace my rear window motors still, but I have already replaced the front. All the windows stopped working within a month of each other. There is definatley a design flaw in the window assembly and they are made of cheap plastic. I have a '98 Gran Prix GTP.
    Scott
  • Options
    trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    Without perusing all the posts I have a question that hopefully someone may know the answer to. I can't get my ashtray out! Neither my cigarette lighter or aux. outlet on the side of my console work. The lighter was jammed into the socket for some reason and had to be removed with channel locks(pulled the end off). Possibly it welded itself in. I can't get it out of the ashtray OR get the ashtray out. Three of us worked over 2 hours doing everything we could try to get the ashtray out. What are we missing or does it not come out???? I can't imagine it not. I did get the ashtray lighter dis-connected but it still blows fuses as soon as replaced when using the aux. outlet :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    scissorellascissorella Member Posts: 5
    Ok I have read some of the past post bout the cars not running. Mine is similar as well. It will start but if you give any gas it will stall.I can hear the fuel pump come on.Also we check to see if fuel was making it to the engine and it does. We changed the crankshaft sensor no help there, also we changed the spark plugs and wires. The coil packet test out to good. I am gonna try the electronic igination module, air intake sensor. The car computer read out that I need a new MAP sensor as well so that will be getting changed. Ok this sounds like a girl now LOL what is the EGR I am sure I would know what it is when you post.I also have read that other ppl have changed the o2 sensor, idle control valve, egr, and CEL TPS/Pedal Position Sensor. I was wanting to know if those solved the problem of the car not staying running?.Also the cooling systems isn't working, we connected the computer right to them and they worked. Because the fans don't work the car runs hot. I would like to know what I can do to fix that problem as well. Other wise the car ran good until Thursday.
This discussion has been closed.