Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

1111213141517»

Comments

• wilqmwilqm Member Posts: 1
    came home from work and my 94 bonneivlle was running great went to go to the store and it was running weird then it had no power stopped turned it off and poped the hood it was smokeing went home had tests done said egr and o2 replaced these and now it wont even start brought it to the shop they said timming or my 500 dollar exchaust has 153000 and did not leak now drops of oil what happend can I fix it or is it time to retire her please help.
  • dumbblondedumbblonde Member Posts: 1
    While driving down the road, my gt will die. Have changed fuel filter, plugs, etc. Mechanics do not know the problem.
  • mmxermmxer Member Posts: 12
    Crankshaft sensor..... My guess. Same thing happened to my car. I also replaced the Iginition control module which was weak.
  • naseem641naseem641 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, i purchased a 99 grand prix gt sedan used about a month ago. The car did not come with any keyless entry remotes. I bought it from a private owner and i completely forgot to ask what happend to the keyless entries. Is there a way where i can check to see if my car is equipped with this feature and if not, can i still install a car alarm and have them run a keyless entrry for me?
  • naseem641naseem641 Member Posts: 6
    Hi a have a 99 grand prix gt and on the driverside door, the window button for the passanger wont work. It lets me roll the window up and down from the passenger side but from the drivers side, the button only alows me to roll the window up and not down... what could cause this ?
  • falsterfalster Member Posts: 9
    That's funny...lately my passenger side window will not move when I press the button...I have to fiddle with it to get it going. However, it works just fine from the passenger controls. Hopefully it's not gonna die on me but now that I hear your story...huh. BTW, does anyone have any suggestions on my previous post about the funny shifting??
  • calvin1962calvin1962 Member Posts: 34
    Can anyone help me with a source for a replacement GTP door nameplate/emblem? I lost one & junkyards are not helpful.

Thanks
  • diaz5diaz5 Member Posts: 2
    Im having the same problem with my'98 grand prix GTP Supercharged. I went to the store the other day, car ran fine and than just shut off. Wouldn't even crank. I got it towed and was told to replace the battery. Got the battery replaced but the car still wont start. It cranks now, the lights turn on but it wont start. Can anyone help, is there something you have to do after or before replacing the old battery with the new on??
  • diaz5diaz5 Member Posts: 2
    Im having the same problem with my'98 grand prix GTP Supercharged. I went to the store the other day, car ran fine and than just shut off. Wouldn't even crank. I got it towed and was told to replace the battery. Got the battery replaced but the car still wont start. It cranks now, the lights turn on but it wont start. Can anyone help, is there something you have to do after or before replacing the old battery with the new on??
  • lkerrlkerr Member Posts: 3
    Mine was slipping out of gear very subtly when stopping, and hard shifting. I found the tranny fluid low, more than once. I topped it up and now im good, but i do have to keep a close eye on it.
    Good Luck.
    I also have a 97 with 220kms. I had the lack of power, surging, cut out, cut in, getting passed by smartcars on the hwy. We changed the intake manifold gasket, plenum gasket, then the plugs and wires, no fix. Turns out it was the fuel pump. Only way to really test it, is to get a mechanic to hook up a fuel pressure meter to the fuel rail and drive it (not a dealer, there crooks). When he went up a hill, the load on the engine needed more gas and the meter started fluctuating between 20 and 35 psi. Hoope this helps.
    A 97 GP GT. I had the lack of power thing with the surging, bucking, almost like it was stalling but keeping itself going. Took it to a local shop after the check engine light came on. The scan revealed all cylinders misfire. He checked all wires and plugs, no real problems, noticed antifreeze and oil all over the upper part of the engine. He changed the intake manifold and plenum gaskets ($700) no fix. Thats ok cause eventually that wouldve ruined the engine. I changed the plugs and wires, no fix, no problem regular maintenance.
    Took it to a dealer in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The brakes were working when i dropped it off. They said they scanned it and found it was misfiring. I asked which cylinders, and they couldnt tell me. I knew i was in for a ride. They suggested it could be the tranny, or the wiring harness, or they could start changing ignition parts, and see what happens. I asked about the brakes, and they said it was like that when the service person took it out of the drive through, and they wouldnt do any work unless I authorized it. WOW (Master cylinder completely empty)
    A car that is now undriveable at the dealer for $75.00 an hour. It cost me $240.00 to get it released and i had it towed to my local shop.
    The local mechanic, hooked up a fuel pressure meter to the fuel rail and took it for a drive, after he fixed the breaks. Turns out i needed a fuel pump. While we were at it we got a new tank and filter also.
    Morale of the story do not go to the dealer for anything, unless your under warranty. I wonder if i will buy foreign next time.
    Good luck to all.
  • debmc03debmc03 Member Posts: 2
    hello

i just wondered how long after you notice the hard shifts that the thing blows? or is it cheaper to get it fixed before that?was yours the sensor or the trans??
    i bought this 98 grand prix for my daughters first car.......she doesnt have her license yet and this is very distressing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    any words of wisdom would help
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    The dealer can order the GTP nameplate for you. I wanted another GXP nameplate to put on the rear of my 2006 GXP and I ordered it from the dealer and it cost about $34.00. chats1
  • dicarlpdicarlp Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My wife has a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix and she got into a fairly severe accident a few years ago. From the way she described it to me, it was a frontal impact which did severe damage to the front driver's side of the vehicle. Despite the severity of the impact, her airbags did not go off at all. Also, there seems to be no indication (e.g. service engine soon light or airbag warning light on the combimeter) which tells her that her airbag system may have a malfunction. Could anyone suggest a place she may be able to take her car for some kind of free or inexpensive diagnostic checkup so that we know for sure if her airbag system is OK or not. Thanks for reading!

Regards,
    Paul
  • falsterfalster Member Posts: 9
    Hi i dont know if you read my comment on my hard shifting, but that man's comment is definitely scary!! He says that "the end is near" and "only takes 2-3 months before it dies" but i have to differ. Ever since i bought mine it has been doing that hard shifting intermittently thing, and my car is still fine(knock on wood). In fact i just flushed the tranny(all by myself, i may add) and afterwards i immediately noticed smoother shifting normally, and when it does do the hard shifting, it's not as hard. When i dropped the pan, however, there was a good layer of grime on the bottom....if this was the first flush it might be normal....unfortunately i dont have official records from the previous owner. anyways I'll keep posting...so ask away!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Pontiac Grand Prix
This discussion has been closed.