Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Radio security code

hotsoupshotsoups Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in BMW
I tried to enter the security code into my 1994 BMW 325i, but I was unsuccessful. While I tried to enter the numbers it beeps. According to the manual it says to stop right away and then enter the code again. Again it beeps.
Has anyone had this problem before?

Andy

Comments

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Leave the radio on for at least an hour and try again.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    < rant >

it raises my gorge to see posts like this. the auto manufacturers are only screwing their customers by putting all these "theft-proof" attributes into their radios. the thieves and pawn shops don't give a rip about the code issues.

get real, folks. you are only screwing your customers. stop doing these tricks and laughing at them!

< rant off >
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    What's wrong with codes? It won't stop the pro's but it's the kids who tear up the dash.
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    take some lithium sws...

-Chris
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    just ran out the other day, life is better now ;)

seriously, has anybody ever heard of a car radio theft stopped at the get-go when the thief remembered, "oh crud, this brand's radios have an owner code, and I won't be able to use it in my boat?"

all that happens is the window gets broken, the dash gets wrecked, and the druggie that ripped you off doesn't much care if he gets ten bucks for the thing or not.

you're still hosed as a car owner, plus the insult of having to prove yourself to some Colonel Flagg type at a car dealer service department to get the radio code when your battery dies on a cold winter day.

the wrong party gets ripped on these "locked, secure" types of things... the one who bought 'em.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Updated by TSB #6502933729 Nov 1986.

The BMW anti-theft radio circuitry is designed to essentially render your radio unsalable if it is stolen. If the radio is subsequently electrically reconnected, it will not operate until a five-digit security code assigned to your radio is entered. The anti-theft features and operation are as follows:

After the ignition key is removed, the red "anti-theft" LED will continuously flash, drawing attention to this feature.
    Should anyone, such as a thief, touch any push-button on the radio after the key is removed, the anti-theft inscription will flash and a warning tone will sound for 5 minutes or until the ignition is turned ON .
    Should the voltage supply to the radio drop below 5 volts due to a dead battery, electrical repairs, or radio removal (such as theft), the radio will not function when voltage is restored. The word "code" will show in the display only.
    The proper 5-digit code shown on the TWO CARDS SUPPLIED TO YOU must then be entered (using the proper number radio push-button selectors in the bottom row) when the radio is on and the display shows "code". If the correct code is not entered in three successive tries , the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been left on for one hour with the ignition ON . IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 43215 and you mistakenly enter 42 instead of 3, continue the code number sequence of 215 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "code" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 43215 and operation of the radio will continue. The likelihood of guessing the correct code is extremely remote. The radio is, therefore, unsalable to a thief. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately ! Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code.
    The code card should be placed in your wallet, or with the vehicle title papers for security as deemed necessary by your individual needs.
    Should radio or electrical repairs become necessary, please give the repairing facility the radio code number. If you do not, only authorized BMW dealer personnel can obtain the code from BMW.
    Should you lose your code cards, contact the nearest BMW dealer who will then obtain your code from BMW. You may be charged for removal of the radio to ascertain the radio chassis number.
    WARNING: FOR YOUR PROTECTION, CODES WILL NOT BE GIVEN OUT TO ANYONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES OTHER THAN AUTHORIZED BMW DEALER PERSONNEL AFTER PROOF OF VEHICLE OWNERSHIP AND PROPER IDENTIFICATION IS ESTABLISHED.
    Install the 2 enclosed warning decals in accordance with motor vehicle regulations.
    You'd think that Edmunds would try to keep the clueless dipstick filter on line 24/7...
  • ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    i thought they disabled that years ago...

-Chris
  • hotsoupshotsoups Member Posts: 12
    Thanks div2. I took a drive that is about 1.5 hours long, left the radio on and then entered the code. It worked.
    You're welcome! I learned about the waiting period back in 1989 with a friend's brand-new 535i. We had disconnected the battery so we could display it in the banquet hall at the BMW CCA Oktoberfest(a stupid hotel rule; they also wanted us to drain the gas tank...). Anyway, the battery disconnect also caused the trip computer to revert back to its native German. We finally got it to speak English but it turned out to be British units of measure. At the time it was pretty heady stuff-especially to a guy with a 1973 Bavaria.
This discussion has been closed.