Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Maybe recall was incorrect, I am referring to the fact that after some time the liberty was lowered somewhat. Remember. Because you were bragging that yours was bought "before they lowered them." A major change like this seems to warrant close - but not quite - recall status in my book.

Sorry for the confusion. I don't want to be associated with all this bitterness.

A lift provides room for 32" tires. WOW, Ill be running them shortly with no lift and NO rubbing.

It is starting to come to my attention that these little vehicles are not for me anyways. My legs hit stuff in small trucks and SUVs. Will be shopping for full size trucks b4 I know it. Hopefully my neverbeforeseen level of intelligence ;) will help me get a good job as a Chemical Engineer straight out of school and I can get an awesome ride. Who knows I may even be able to get a REAL truck with four tire pull (4WD for you northerners). Have a great week.
  • Options
    tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    good to hear you may go the 4x4 route. if you're looking for a full-size, wait for the new F150. it will be out this summer i believe and it is one cool truck. it has your favorite front susp. setup with a coil-over, and all new engines. the interior is very nice as well. one cool thing it has is the regular cab even has rear doors to access the rear part of the cab. it's pretty trick. you can view it at fordvehicles.com
    as far as the liberty getting lowered, it is because one magazine rolled a 4x2 version, and therefore printed a bunch of crap about how the liberty may be unsafe. so chrysler just lowered the KJ. the only thing they did was put on softer springs. but if you look at nhtsa.org, it's rollover rating is the same as a grand cherokee and just one star less than most suvs. it's going to be a higher risk simply because of it's short wheelbase, which is what makes it so potent off-road. it will practically go anywhere you point it and climb any incline a normal person would wish to. it's a fun little rig.
  • Options
    krunkykrunky Member Posts: 21
    Just to point out, that my girlfriend used to have a Chevy Tracker and I had the chance to drive it on the Silver Lake dunes in West Michigan. It sure got some looks from the usual bone heads in their full-size rigs that were just there to hang out, but it was suprisingly capable, and kept up just fine with the rest of our group. I guess there is something to be said about an SUV that doesn't weigh ten tons.

(BTW thanks for wasting your precious time responding to my post, ha!)
  • Options
    kbtoyskbtoys Member Posts: 62
    So much for your jeep being like a sherman tank. LMAO

http://money.cnn.com/2001/11/29/autos/suvs/

http://www.nbc4.com/transportationandtravelarchive/1181353/detail- .html

and a video of a 5mph rear end crash. I know would be pissed if my rear window was going to blow out if I where to get hit by someone going 5mph

http://a64.g.akamai.net/7/559/998/20011130/www.progressive.com/vi- deo/2002Liberty.mpg

I have not been around here since they closed the Tacoma vs Ranger thread, but am glad to see the argument is still alive. To the Mods of edmunds I know this is suppose to be a family place but I did enjoy the arguments, and actully learn some intresting stuff. So please don't close this thread down.
  • Options
    sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    All I can say.
  • Options
    plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    when *tbundy* kept criticizing the Tacoma for having a leaky interior (don't remember him ever proving it...) but then I promptly informed him the Liberty has a TSB for that very problem.

Or how Rangers weigh 600lbs more than Tacomas.

Or how a Ranger's (exploding) diff is so much bigger and tougher than the Tacoma's.

Or how he never abused his Ranger (on EBay) but said he jumped it repeatedly (on Edmunds).

So now he's saying his Liberty is built like a Sherman tank, huh? Take off your blinders, *tbundy* and go look at the rear-end of your Sherman, err, Liberty. I doubt tanks have suspension componets that hang well below the rear axle or a completely exposed fuel tank that's been dropped. And Edmunds' long term test of their Jeep revealed it was the second most problematic vehicle they've ever tested.
  • Options
    Enough. This isn't supposed to be about Ranger, Liberty or tbunder. Just let it go knowing that he still reads Tacoma boards.
  • Options
    scorp- just remember that YOU are the reason im talking here on this forum. YOU were the one talking about ME to others without me even participating. i am just policing to defend myself.
    BTW, LMAO, i just checked and for the second consecutive month the tacoma is down 7.4% in sales and the ranger is up 8.8% in sales. so much for your theory on how toyota's marketshare is growing because the tundra is also down in sales for february as it was in january.

pluto- your comments do not even warrant any response. but ill give you one to satisfy what you call a life.
    iihs says tacoma has poor bumpers. care to comment? big deal, my jeep bumpers are bad when i back into a cement post. darn.i bought my jeep to haul my family, do moderate wheeling, have a very safe vehicle, get good bang for my buck, have a newly engineered vehicle that looks good, but looking very close to the liberty is what sold me. it's all galvanized sheetmetal, it's ultra rigid chassis, it's powerful engine, it's awesome transfer case and gearing identical to the wrangler. safety is big to me, and at least i know if im ever hit in the side while driving my KJ, ill survive with it's 5-star side impact safety rating. driving the tacoma, i'd be a little worried crossing intersections. your fellow tacoma owners even know this. no thx.
    (check nhtsa.org's ratings on both liberty and tacoma's side ratings along with every other rating.)
  • Options
    Your Liberty took the honor of placing 17th out of 21 midsize SUVs for safety:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.h- tm
    The Tacoma, on the other hand, placed 1st out of the 5 other compact trucks:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smpickup- .htm

You have an interesting perspective on things, *tbundy* Obviously, if you wanted a safe midsize SUV, there would have been much better choices, ones that weren't rated "Marginal." And if safety truly was a concern of yours, you wouldn't be "jumping" trucks and would have avoided the compact truck/SUV category all together. They're generally considered some of the most dangerous vehicles on the roads today.

Safety? Ha, sounds like you have a deathwish to me!
  • Options
    you're always twisting things around. i think it must be human nature to do that down where you come from. it's the only way one can look good to others.
    gathering information and making a hypothesis- this is beyond your intellectual prowess. if you look closely the jeep liberty performed well as compared to the highlander and other suv's in it's class. you'll notice that toyota didn't have any suv's in the best pick like ford did. of course i don't own a ford but i know it eats you up knowing that ford can build a safer suv than toyota.
    you know the jeep is safe. tell me, what about nhtsa.org's ratings? you know, the agency that your employer sponsors? the one's who provide side impact ratings? the one's who say basically that if you're in a tacoma and you're hit in the side that you're GONNA DIE!
    so much for your info plutonium, it's invalid, kinda like you. LMAO
    you actually should take your truck (that is if you even have one you poser) and engage the transfer case. that's what a 4x4 is made for.
    you amaze me with each and every twisted post. you're a true riot my man.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Nobody is going to change anyone's mind here. So at some point I expect that you'll give up trying and move on??

Just a thought...

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I'm seeking a tonneau cover for my 2003 Tacoma.
    Want a hard cover that is multi piece or single piece and black in color. There are some made that are available for the Ranger, S10 and Dakota though there are no applications for the Tacoma.
    I contacted manufacturers and they said that the Tacoma has very narrow frame rails on bed and this makes it difficult to make a cover for it.
    Does anyone know of type of hard tonneau that will work on the Tacoma? I do not want a fiberglass one such as a snugtop.
  • Options
    smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
  • Options
    I don't know. I recently had a fender bender with a Jeep Wrangler at a local 4WP event. Hit him with my rear tupperware bumper. The good news is that bumper is fine, a small scratch that will polish out. The bad news is that Jeep lost its' entire fender. I got pix if you don't believe me. Oh well, that's fiberglass for you.
  • Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I know, it is kinda sad, huh? These 2 are never gonna agree with each other, and sooner or later this topic will be shut down as well. Then we will have no Toyota Tacoma problem.

Let's see if I can solve this issue:

TBunder - This is a Toyota Tacoma forum. You don't have a Toyota Tacoma (or a Ford Ranger anymore for that matter). You have a Jeep Liberty. Why do you need to harass us Tacoma owners? You will never, ever, EVER be right in this forum, so why not just give up? It'll make things much better in here. Basically, I am just trying to say that you might do better somewhere else where people will value your opinions. Nobody who owns a Tacoma is EVER going to listen to you. It is not gonna happen, ok?

Plutonious - The way you need to handle things is just to ignore TBunder with whatever he says. He seems to get under your skin with every post. I suggest next time to go the route that another moderator in here told me to go when I kept arguing over something (kudos to Mr. Shiftright who is a GREAT moderator, btw!). Next time TBunder goes spouting knowledge, just reply with a "Whatever you say, dude" This is more likely to get him either more mad without being able to anything about it, or get him to just leave or stop posting in here.

I used to not think that "Whatever you say, dude" line would never work, but it does! After awhile, the problems just stop coming back (if you know what I mean).

So, c'mon! Let's get it together people! All we have is 2 open Tacoma forums these days! Let's try to keep it that way!

Obi
    2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    2002 Toyota Tacoma EXT Prerunner
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Thanks for the link. Looking for a hard tonneau.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Options
    good job. i agree. but here's why i am here in the first place- i like to keep abreast of what people are saying. i also like to read about trucks even though i don't own one at the moment. a couple months ago i peruse this thread only to find my name being mentioned (still!) by sc0rpio without me even being involved in the convo. this is why i started posting on this forum. it had been 2-3 mos. since i had interacted with any one of these guys. they keep their mouth shut about me, and ill stop preaching from the pulpit.
    as far as pluto, you give him too much credit. he honestly has no clue. don't you see that with his repeated posts and flabbergasted 'facts'? later
  • Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Moparbad - don't know if they have Tacoma application, but they DO have many different types.

http://www.calconcepts.com/index.htm

-james
  • Options
    Pluto could be right...Tbunder could be right.

All I am saying, is that you two are never going to agree with each other....Ever.

I say the 3 of us go have a beer and work things out (mostly for the beer and not working things out!)! :-)

Obi
  • Options
    I don't know how many times I've posted this challenge to *tbundy*:

Provide links showing:

1. Ranger/Liberty out-fourwheels Tacoma
    2. Ranger/Liberty more reliable than Tacoma
    3. Ranger/Liberty has higher resale than Tacoma
    4. Ranger/Liberty has higher customer
       satisfaction than Tacoma
    5. Ranger/Liberty is recommended over Tacoma by
       consumer report-type publications

It's all very simple, really. Maybe *tbundy* could persuade his with his opinions if he posted those links I keep requesting to support said opinions. I've posted such links numerous times in the Tacoma's favor. It was no big deal.

Odd, it seems, that *tbundy* will not accept this challenge, considering his eagerness to post here and rebut everything I say. If, in fact, these links did indeed exist, no doubt *tbundy* would have wasted no time posting them numerous times by now.

About the only valid point *tbundy* has brought to the table is the fact some early model year Tacomas have a poor side impact rating. But overall, the Tacoma is rated at or near the top of its class, depending on whose results you are referring to.

PF_Flyer was mistaken when he said nobody here is going to change their opinions. Anybody who has followed this thread knows that *tbundy*'s opinion of which vehicle is the "best" is cyclical and always changing. First, he declared the Ranger was the best, then the Ranger FX4, then the Chevy ZR2 (I think, can't remember...), then it was the Wrangler, then Wrangler Rubicon, and now, conveniently, it's the Jeep Liberty, which he happened to buy to accomodate his growing family.

obiwankenobi1 is right when he says *tbundy* and I will never agree with eachother. How can I ever agree with somebody who can't even make up his own mind? Or who can't even support his posts with links and facts?

Everything turns crystal clear when we put things into perspective. We've proven time and again the Tacoma outperforms, lasts longer and resales higher than the Ranger/Liberty. *tbundy* hasn't shown us squat and instead concentrates on criticizing our sources.

If *tbundy* was right, couldn't he simply provide us with those links instead of always forcing his opinions upon us?
  • Options
    Nobody is going to get the other guy to agree with their opinion...so let's drop the challenges, agree to disagree and get on with it.

PF Flyer
    Host
  • Options
    kbtoyskbtoys Member Posts: 62
    Just to show I am not all aganist the Liberty. I did see one with a factory light bar on it. I reallly liked how it looked with the light bar.
  • Options
    It seems my beer plan is not working out! :-(

Obi
  • Options
    tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    Pluto,

I have a 95 Taco and have a chirping sound that is coming from near the Clutch Slave cylinder. I read in the archive that you had a similar problem. What was the fix?

Tacoviva
  • Options
    Tacoviva,

A Toyota dealer said they could fix the problem simply by lubricating part of the assemby with lithium grease. This actually makes sense, because mine only squeaks during certain weather conditions. This should fix the problem if the squeak isn't in the pedal assembly itself due to a worn out bushing. The dealer said the part that needs to be lubricated is accessed in the engine compartment near the firewall where the clutch assembly comes out.

You may find this helpful - it describes how to fix the problem IF a specific bushing in the pedal assembly needs to be replaced. I had this done under warranty but it really didn't help anything. I would think if this bushing was the culprit, the noise would come from the pedal assembly itself. My noise seems to come from deeper inside the firewall somewhere.

http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/ClutchPedal/ClutchBushi- ng.htm

You will have to isolate where the problem is coming from. If it's the bushing in the pedal assembly, replace it. If it's coming from somewhere else, I would try to lubricate it.

Hope this helps.

Plutonious
  • Options
    tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    Plutonious,

Thanks for the response. I'll try and see if this fixes it. Just a note...when the engine is running, if I grab the slave cylinder, it stops. I sprayed it with grease and it didn't help, but I'll check the bushings too. Hopefully, it's not the throw out bearing.

I'm a Toyota fan too. I have owned them for a while and just bought my wife an 03 4Runner. I've been reading this post for a while and appreciate your help.

taco
  • Options
    This topic had automatically slipped into the archives because of a lack of any posts in 45 days.

Back in play now!

PF Flyer
    Host
  • Options
    steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    2005....can't say much more
  • Options
    jozimotojozimoto Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Tacoma std cab, 2.4 4cyl, 5 sp.It has 14500 miles on it. I must say I am somewhat disapointed that the dash rattles, the paint is peeling off the bumper and and a torn door seal ( due to a bad design) Toyota went cheap on the std equipment. What happened to Toyota Quality. Some little conviences that do not come on the std Tacoma but are standard on basic Rangers are tripmeter, tachometer, split bench seat,and even prewired for towing. I had a 1993 truck and it was better than this one. Also the assy. plugs do not stay on when the key is off. At least have one that stays on to charge a cell phone.The Ranger has considerably more cab room. Don't get me wrong, its an ok truck, but I think the Ranger is more for your money.FYI I was considering a V6, Toyota's V6 only comes with the automatic trans. I like the 5 speed. Also the Ford twin cam 2.3 ltr is as powerful as the Toyota 2.4. I did drive one
  • Options
    rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    There is no question Toyota has become a GM clone in many ways. The idea is, I think, use a half-priced, poorly made piece. If you replace 20% of them under warranty you have still made a nice profit.
    But I believe the engines are still tops, although they outright lie about the mileage on their trucks. I do not believe the 4 cylinder Ford will hang with a 4 cylinder Tacoma.
    I also believe that Toyota still uses better alternators, AC's, water pumps, etc.
    No doubt they are using some cheesy interior pieces, but so does Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, and everybody else.
    What ever you choose these days, you pays your money and you takes your chances. I like the Fords and Chevys, but I like my Tacoma better. I just wish Toyota offered better deals, because if you get a bad Tacoma you are doubly screwed.
  • Options
    smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    You are incorrect about the v6 only coming in an automatic. The PreRunner and Double Cab only come with an automatic. I drive a 2001 v6 4x4 5spd.
  • Options
    I think I know the combination you have in mind. I have an xtracab, but not a Pre-Runner. This configuration with a V6 is ONLY available with a 5 speed, so I think you have it backwards. To get a V6 xtracab WITH automatic trans you have to go to the Pre-Runner (this, by the way, is the dumbest thing I have ever encountered when buying a vehicle). I sorta wanted a V6, but I did not want to use a step ladder to get in the truck, I didn't want the enhanced "flip over" possibility, and I wanted an automatic. I wanted good mileage, as well, so the 2.4L is what I got. I am not disappointed with the performance. I use synthetic oil, 89 octane gas, and I just put in a K&N filter. The filter made a HUGE difference in power. This thing now runs like a scalded ape.
  • Options
    are available in the following combinations:

S-Runner 4x2 5 speed manual (7153)
    Pre-Runner 4x2 Automatic (7164)
    4x4 - 5 speed manual (7553)
    4x4 - Automatic (7554) our best selling Tacoma
  • Options
    I guess I was counting the 4x4 as a Pre-Runner when I said that the V6 with auto trans is only available in Pre-Runner. Is the 4x4 considered a Pre-Runner? I think the entry height and ground clearance are the same.
  • Options
    is a 4x2 that looks like a 4x4.

Based off desert racers that "pre-run" their courses.
  • Options
    ac6000cwac6000cw Member Posts: 18
    Hi, not much action on this board but I thought I would try posting. I bought a new Tacoma last week, Xtra Cab, 4WD, auto, SR5, TRD off road package, etc. No problems so far, ride is pretty good and I don't have enough miles to see how the gas mileage is going to be.

I noticed that the clock is pretty useless, I can't see it at all through the wiper stalk and the radio is a bit of a reach.

Has anyone ordered the service manual? Is it worth it? Looks like there are two of them.

Is there a good mail order source for Toyota parts? I had a Nissan Pathfinder and there were a few dealers on the web that sold factory parts for much less than my local dealer so I could order filters and stuff. I've been to several dealer web sites but the prices don't seem to be any less than the local dealer wants.

Also, I am looking at some kind of running board or side step. Not so much as a step but to protect the sides from junk thrown up by the tires. Any good suggestions? TIA.
  • Options
    dry_flydry_fly Member Posts: 12
    hi

just wanted to know if either the tacoma or the tundra come as a cab and chassis option. i want to put a flatbed on it with a couple of side boxes for tools.

tia
  • Options
    sutrocksutrock Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at a 03 4dr, probably Limited (also looking at the color-keyed SR5). I do not want or need the TRD option nor the "Toyota Protection Package", however, the local dealers will have at least one of the 2 on all their models I am looking at. If I have to get one of these options (I would rather not have to order a unit), what would you recommend in getting. It seems maybe the TRD would be better because this would factor in the resale value and the TPP would not? Does that make sense? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    TRD is at least some extra equipment....TPP sounds like some dealer markup :)
    I ordered my truck, it took 1 week instead of 3.
  • Options
    saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    who wish they had gotten the TRD package, not a single one who wishes he had gotten the TPP. The truck is awesome without either one, though. My advice -- look around for one exactly like you want, but if you can afford it, get the TRD -- you will have a VERY capable vehicle.
  • Options
    sutrocksutrock Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, guys. I can afford the TRD but just thinking practically. It's just something I don't need, however, it might be a big plus come resale time. The MSRP on the TPP is around $600-$700. That's absurd. I'm glad to hear your order took only a week. I thought it would have been a lot longer.
  • Options
    unclerayuncleray Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 2002 2WD Reg cab Tacoma, but am concerned about traction and control on slippery conditions (I'm used to 4WD). Does anyone have any advice?
  • Options
    dunkmydonutdunkmydonut Member Posts: 35
    Uncle Ray,
    If you put 2 or 3 hundred pounds of sand or whatever in the bed, taction will increase, and the truck will ride better. Toys are coming standard in '03 with ABS. Pick ups do better with a dedicated set of snows in the back. Studded does better, but not all states allow them. If you do get studs, get them lightly studded. Too many studs makes the rear end feel loose on dry roads. If studs aren't allowed, get some high quaity snows such as Bridgestone Blizzaks. I have abs now, but they have been problematic, and expensive to repair. I hope you toyota guys have better luck with the abs than I did. I'm switching to Toyota because of abs. Before 03 they were an option..so I'll be looking for a low miliage 02, without the abs. They work well, I've just had enough with the high bills. Good luck to all!!
  • Options
    bolucaboluca Member Posts: 32
    I recently purchased a 1999 Tacoma, 4x4, 5sp LTD.
    It has an alarm that appears to have been added by the dealer. The owner no longer had the remotes or any instructions.
    We were able to find a remote at the dealer that would open the door. It is marked TDS Alarm. Does anyone know how to program the alarm/ keyless entry.
    It now only unlocks the drivers door and I would like to unlock both doors. The dealer was able to do this after pushing the dash button several times but did not know how to program anything else. Also, when the truck is started it locks the doors and unlocks them when the truck is turned off. I would like to disable this. Anyone with programming instructions?
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    boluca -

Did you try hitting the "unlock" button twice? Most keyless entry systems require you to hit the unlock button twice if you want all doors to unlock.

I did some quick searches on the web and only found another guy on a different board with the same problems as you have. : / You might try locating the manufacturer name on the head unit of the alarm system and looking them up. The dealer didn't have any instructions??? Sounds like an aftermarket dealer install to me.

jp
  • Options
    moi3moi3 Member Posts: 1
    Re: my 2000 TOY Tacoma, 4Cyl, 4x4 Extended, 5 speed Manual, 43K

Problem: Sitting still (for example) when the clutch NOT depressed - this faint werring or wining sound exists. Once I depress the clutch it goes away. It can also be heard while travelling if your coasting at varying points. Are there common problems with the clutch bearings or something else? Any advise is greatly appreciated. I don't do my own work on the car nor do I know a lot.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    If you hear squeaking sound while your foot is on clutch, then it's a bearing bushing, and this should be replaced quick. You should have warranty cover it.
    If you have squeaking while foot is off the clutch (clutch is depressed), then it's a pilot bushing, which is just annoying and otherwise harmless. I had this, it seems to depend on weather.
    Be careful when going to go dealer for clutch problems, they might just do the "we had to replace whole clutch" dance, and will try to make you pay.
  • Options
    john355john355 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. While reading the owners manual for scheduled maintenance, it appears to indicate that all trucks must have the propeller shaft torqued every 5,000 miles. Is this true? I have never had to do any maintenance on drivetrain components in other vehicle models.
  • Options
    Haven't had to do it in 30K miles. The only maintenance I do on driveshaft is greasing (which you HAVE to do, otherwise you'll lose all your u-joints)
  • Options
    rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    I'm looking for information on an issue that I (and others) are seeing on 2003 V8 Toyota 4Runners. I thought I'd check with other discussion groups to see if this issue is present on other 4.7L V8 equipped Toyotas. This includes: Tacomas, Sequias and Landcruisers.

The Issue
    --------------
    A groaning noise, especially apparent when reving the engine. Also a distinct loss of power. More noticeable when climbing steep hills or accelerating.

When it Occurs
    ----------------------
    Only when ambient temperatures reach into the upper 90s and above. At lower temperatures the vehicle behaves fine.

Theory
    ---------
    The fan clutch reacts to ambient temperature and slips when cooling is not needed. It locks when more cooling is necessary. When it locks, the rpm of the cooling fan is higher, thus the noise. This is not new technology and has been utilized for years. It is called a viscous clutch mechanism.

The theory is that the viscous clutch is locking up at the higher ambient temperatures, causing the fan to spin faster.

This accounts for the noise and the power loss. Several subscribers have experience with this in other vehicles and point out that when the viscous clutch locks-up the fan takes a tremendous amount of power from the engine.

See Also
    -------------
    There has been on-going discussion on the Edmund's discussion group titled "Toyota 4Runner".

Other V8 Equipped Toyotas?
    ------------------------------------------
    If other V8 equipped Toyotas do not display this behavior, then I would speculate that maybe there's something different about their cooling systems. Maybe the 4Runner, being smaller, didn't have as much room for as big a radiator. Maybe they compensated by using a viscous clutch with a lower "lock-up" temperature???

Articles
    -----------
    http://www.atra-gears.com/gears/2002-10/2002_10_64.pdf
    http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#dst01

What experiences has anyone had with anything like this on any 4.7L V8 equipped Toyota?

Thanks,
    Eric Rentschler
This discussion has been closed.