Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• zoom17zoom17 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about getting a '01 tacoma extended cab. Now the problem I have a 3 year old who needs a car seat. Has anyone put one in the extended cab version? Your opinions would be helpful.
    I would like the 4 door, but they are spendy. Once again, any help would be helpful.

Thanks
  • devileyesdevileyes Member Posts: 1
    my son borrowed my '00 Tacoma last week and got hit right behind the driver's door. dumped it over onto the passenger side. hood and tailgate were fine, but all other sheet metal was trashed. yup, totalled. but they crawled out the window, pushed it up on its wheels, and drove it home. driver not hurt and passenger had minor cuts from broken glass. yes, very lucky. i looked at new rangers and tacomas today. i've had both and loved them both. i'll probbly buy from the first dealer that finds me a comfortable bucket seat.
  • whatnow2whatnow2 Member Posts: 24
    While I haven't actually put a child car seat in the back of my 2001 ex cab Tacoma, it has what appears to be a very substantial anchor factory installed for just that purpose. Check the owners manual if possible.
  • rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    You have got to be awful happy about your son. We all worry about that kind of thing, and he was very fortunate. If you are looking for a comfortable seat in a Tacoma, you will need another shot of good luck. There are, however, some great after-market seats out there.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    My best friend just traded a 1986 Ford F-150 4WD in on a new 2003 Toyota Tacoma SR-5 4WD 5 speed Manual. He is surprised that the new Tacoma 3.4L V6 has much more power than the 5.0L V8 had in the Ford.
        Question: Why does the 3.4L V6 in the Tacoma have LESS power than the smaller 3.3L V6 in the 2004 Toyota Sienna? (The Sienna 3.3L V6 has 230 HP and 242 Lb-Ft Torque while the larger 3.4L V6 in the Tacoma has only 190 HP and 220 Lb-Ft Torque).
        Will the Tacoma 3.4L V6 last longer since it is not tweaked as much for power output?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Sienna engine? Truck engines have a requirement to develop most of their torque in lower rpms, so they can tow. Sienna engine might simply be developing the torque much later, at a very high rpms.
  • mltomekmltomek Member Posts: 24
    Hello All!! I Just bought a '03 x-tracab 4x4,manual. it now has 1300 miles on it and i am going to get the oil changed to full synthetic. Here are my questions. I thank you in advance to ALL people who may answer my questions, and i apologize if they seem somewhat trivial. I just want to take care of "Gunner" the best way possible :-)

1)If i am using FULL synthetic oil is it ok to change the oil every 5k miles(norm driving conditions)?

2)I am looking at buying some good quality car seats and a tonneau cover--any recommendations or websites?

3)I also am looking at having the bed lined with the spray on "Rhino" lining(approx $430.00)--any opinions?

4)What should I keep the tire psi's inflated to? Some people say 32--but i believe the tires say 35 or 36 psi??

5)Should i be driving 4Hi at least 10 miles monthly. And if so, can I drive in 4HI on dry pavement w/out ruining anything?

Thx again. I really enjoy reading all the posts!

Mike
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I don't know the answer to all your questions, and the oil question can get more than one answer (my personal thoughts is that it should be fine, especially if you drive lots of miles).

However, I do off-road and you can't drive in 4WD on dry pavement. Definite no-no - can cause problems because your front and rear tires are locked together and if you go around a curve, they won't travel the same path.

If you have a 4x4 and want to take it out each month, find a nice dirt forest service road somewhere and enjoy some time alone. I've heard that it is best to use 4WD each month, though I don't know if it matters how far.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    I'll agree that the Sienna gets its HP peak at a bit higher RPM than the Tacoma, but it beats the Tacoma's torque peak.

Sienna 3.3L V6
    230 hp at 5600 rpm, 242 ft-lb at 3600 rpm

Tacoma 3.4L V6
    190 hp at 4800 rpm, 220 ft-lb at 3600 rpm

I would imagine there are two good reasons. One, a dyno would probably show that the Tacoma generates more torque at lower RPMs (3600 is just where it peaks). Two, the Tacoma needs an engine update. Although, engine intake/exhaust systems may have different requirements due to the operating environments that may affect performance.
    Congrats on purchase.
    1. Change it at 5K first, see how good oil looks. I use Amsoil synth oil, and in general, I change oil filter every 5-6K miles, and keep oil running for twice that long...so 10-12K with a filter change in between.
    2. Corbeau seats, I suppose. Then there's a number of seats from Celica, Volvo, Eclipse that fit into Tacomas but require tinkering.
    3. Sounds too expensive, I was quoted $300 for Rhino. You could do spray-in yourself for about $100 using Herculiner, but from what I hear, it's worth paying someone else to do it.
    4. Do a chalk test on your tires and find out where optimal pressure is for them. Some people ride at 28, some at 30, I inflate mine (BFG AT KO, not stock) to 35.
    5. You do not want to run 4WD on dry pavement....if you want to, do it in wet conditions, or just find a decent easy trail around town and go there everyonce in a while.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Good answer. Since another friend recently got a 2003 Tacoma and also has a 1998 Sienna, I'll have to write him to see which engine he has in the Tacoma.
        Ford will soon go the route of Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, Nash, DeSoto, Plymouth, Edsel, etc. if the buying decisions of my friends are any indicator of a trend in the general population.
        Americans will not continue to buy unreliable, shoddy merchandise when Toyota quality is an option.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I installed a versacover (aka undercover) hard tonneau. Very happy with it. Weighs less than 50 lbs, is easily removable, installed in less than 45 minutes, is durable, and the cost was less than $600.

I have a vortex spray in liner. It is OK. After having it installed I've seen some older Vortex liners that do not look like they handle weather well.

Oil change? 5k with synthetic seems early to me. I would say 7500 miles with synthetic.

Seats are a weak point in the Tacoma. Beard or Corbeau offer replacement seats that have good reviews from Tacoma owners.

During the summer I drive in 4 Hi every once in a while on dry pavement. Only in a straight line, at low speeds and for a short distance (200 ft) to keep everything lubricated.
    www.ltsportcover.com looks like a winner for a tonneau if you want a painted one. I have no personal experience with this one. I was going to get this one before I found out about the Versacover.
  • cyberdad2cyberdad2 Member Posts: 13
    moparbad,

I saw a truck last year that had a Vortex Liner and became interested because it seemed like it was harder than a rhino but less rough than a line-x.

Could you elaborate for me what you like and don't like about it? Is yours colored? What are the weathering problems you saw?

Thanks,

Cyberdad Steve
    Harder than a rino and less rough than a Line-X is an accurate description. I have no current problems with the product. There were two vehicles at the installer that were coated with Vortex material and they both had chalking and color loss on the areas exposed to sun and elements. The texture was much rougher and more sand paper like and if you rubbed it your hand would have black residue on it.
    I commented on this and asked if there was UV protectant in the product. Answer was no. Since my truck will have a tonneau that covers the sprayed surface on it for 95% of the time I went ahead and had the liner sprayed.
    I've seen Rhino and other brands chalk out after a year or two in the sun also, but this is with early spray in liners and I'm pretty sure that current Rhino and Line-X have UV protectant incorporated into the liner material.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Hi folks, I just started following the Tacoma forum as I am thinking of buying a 1998-2000 Tacoma Prerunner. I'd like your opinions on a few questions. The truck will replace a '98 V6 Mustang, which is primarily driven by my 18 yr. old son. He now primarily drives a Suzuki crotch rocket (vroom vroom) and has lost interest in the Mustang and has also expressed interest in trucks. I also have a 15 yr. old som who will be driving soon. I'm looking for a safe reliable vehicle for my kids that can easily be driven by anyone in my family (wife included), is easy to do basic maint. items. Actually I'm a Honda man, but they don't sell trucks and the local Toyota dealer is a royal pain. Would you recommend the 4 or 6 cyl. prerunner? Is the back seat big enough for one 6' teen ager?
    Are you looking at the Xtra cab? If so, the back seat does not fit a 5' female for very long.

I have a 4 banger 5 speed 2WD 2000 Tacoma (not a Prerunner) and find it adequate for most of my needs. I drive up steep freeway grades (the I-5 Grapevine is part of my daily commute) in 4th gear because it won't hold 70 mph in 5th. It doesn't have much grunt at lower RPMs but does fine higher up. I would not want to have the same engine in an automatic, so if that is a consideration, get the 6.

It is easy to drive, and ours has been reasonably reliable. I can get 28-30 mpg with almost all freeway or mountain rural road driving. It won't turn on a dime, but isn't all that hard to park (nothing is as easy to park as my Wrangler).

I would also recommend taking a longer than normal test drive. The 2000 has very uncomfortable seating for me (my husband isn't as uncomfortable) which I didn't realize until about a month after we bought it. I understand that they changed the seating in either 2001 or 2002, but the best thing to do is try it for yourself.
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    mikefm58,

I have an extra cab, 1998. The seats in the back are rapidly becoming too small for my two 10 year olds, much less my 13 year old. Crack open the wallet and get the DC or a used Tundra with the rear opening doors. I have sat in them and they are reasonably comfortable. You will not be happy with only an extra cab. I do like the Pre-runner option, except for the automatic only transmission.
  • breezleybreezley Member Posts: 9
    I am considering buying a Truck Tool Box for my boyfriend for Christmas. He has a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. I talked to his friend and got some ideas: Locking on the side, that diamond material that doesn't rust, and something that doesn't go all the way to the bed of the truck in case he's carrying something long and wants to put it under it. The problem - I have NO CLUE what to look for in a brand, where to shop for one, etc. So I thought I'd come here were people probably know alot more than I, to get some tips/ideas/help on where and what to get. Let me know if any of you have any suggestions. I can't find a site that rates them, lists them or that I can plug criteria into!

Thanks!!!
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Who drives a Tacoma because they believe it's the most reliable vehicle on the planet?

I believe if you research CRs and other periodicals you'll find out that Tacomas are the most reliable vehicle (especially the 4 cylinders). Of course several Toyota vehicles(Corolla & Camry) have reputations of being very reliable but being RWD Tacoma rules.

BTW, I don't own a Tacoma ... but I will.
    But there is more to a good vehicle than just reliability. My 2000 Tacoma has been very reliable over it's 136,000 miles, but it isn't very comfortable, especially for trips more than about 45 minutes. If I had realized how uncomfortable they were, I wouldn't have bought mine. Of course, they changed the seating the year after I bought mine...
    Amen to that!
  • nra1871nra1871 Member Posts: 26
    I learned to appreciate reliability after that fiasco I had with the ranger. 30k miles and in the shop twice every month. I've now got 18k on the Tacoma. By far the best vehicle I've ever had.
    I think I got a first problem with my Taco....30K miles, I may have warped rotors slightly, so I got noisier brakes. Haven't been to a mechanic for any other repair (other than caused by myself) since the day I bought it.
    Just goes to show that not everything is "it's supposed to knock like that".
  • saupe130saupe130 Member Posts: 36
    I've got a Better Built box on mine, and am very happy with it. I got it at Lowes, if they have those where you're living, and bought a mounting kit that doesn't require drilling to install it. The mounting kit keeps it from "walking off" while you are at the mall or somewhere. Overall, I have been very happy with it. I does fit over the rail, so a topper won't work with it installed, but it does have space underneath it, so you can cram some stuff up in there. Keep in mind that the bed is only six feet long anyway, so a sheet of plywood won't fit in it without the bed open anyhow. And this type mounting system (it is sold right next to the boxes) won't work with an over the rails bed liner. Host, if I can't say the name of the store I got it at, let me know and I'll tell her some other way.
    You didn't miss much in the 2001 Tacoma seat changes. My 2001 seats are killers. I can't decide if replacement seats (for example, from Performance Products) or toughing it out till trade in is the right way to go.
    Every time I get serious about getting new seats I get thinking I can stand them for another 6 months when I'll be able to trade it in. It seems like I've been thinking that for 2 years, and I still can't afford to get rid of it. Maybe in the spring we'll so something about it - it is still in good shape.
    who doesn't think that Tacoma seats are THAT bad?
    I did a number of 10-11 hr drives and a 17 hr drive in last 1.5 years, and did not have any problems with seats in my 2002 (same as 2001).
  • nra1871nra1871 Member Posts: 26
    I never noticed a problem with the seats of my reg. cab tacoma (2002). I'm actually more comfortable in them than in my old reg. cab ranger. That's probably due to more knee room because I now have a tilt steering wheel.
    The bucket seats in my 2003 are poor. Too soft an unsuportive. And the upholstery material is crap too. I'm a die hard Toyota fan, but the seats and the material covering them is unacceptable, my 84 XtraCab had better seats and the fabric was still nice when the truck had 200,000 plus miles.
    My 2001 Tacoma seats are too short in the seat dimension (should be about 1-2 inches longer to support the thigh), and are just plain hard, with little to no lumbar support or side-of-the-legs support. Plus, the upholstery is already wearing through. Of course, my other vehicle is a Honda Accord, so I am thoroughly spoiled. Why do drivers of pickups not deserve Toyota's best seats (as in Avalon)? Use of the vehicle shouldn't determine seat quality or comfort. I'm looking forward to seeing the seats Honda puts in its new pickup.
    My other half and I recently checked out the seats in a new Tacoma. The dealership we went to had all of their trucks on another lot, so they took us over there in a Tundra. The difference between the 2 was incredible! The Xtra cab Tacoma wasn't that much different from what we have (little lumbar support and the head restraint is all wrong for someone as vertically challenged as I am!) but the Tundra seating was very comfortable. I won't mention the seat comfort in the new F150 we made the mistake of looking at after looking at the Toyotas.

I far prefer the seats in my Wrangler to our 2000 Taco. The Taco is OK for less than an hour. Since my commute is normally at least an hour and a half, it gets hard to take, and I definitely want more comfortable seats!
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    I have a 2001 regular cab, 5sp, bench seat, with 52,000 miles. Bought it new, and use for commuting. I don't really use it like a truck, but figured it would be dependable. It is! Wanted to buy a Civic or Corolla, but didn't have any down at the time, and needed a ride. This was $12,100, Thanksgiving weekend, 2001. At first I thought the seats were pretty bad, but some of that was minor lower back problems I was having. That problem flares up from time to time. While not an Audi A4, time has proven it was not the seats. I have never smoked or eaten in it, and haven't gone off pavement. Never wore dirty clothes or tooted into the seat. If I had a garage it would be just like showroom condition. This is more of a novel than a post. This is my first post to any board, and I can't check back too often, hence the long windedness. This vehicle has proven to be a great choice. It's not the safest around and needs to be driven accordingly. I'm a happy buyer.
    I believe that several threads on the Edmunds site contain messages decrying Tacoma seats. When I was shopping, I found a few one or two year-old Tacomas for sale, but every one had bad (hard, uncomfortable) seats. The new one I finally bought (in July 2001)was almost as bad. By now, I hate it. If I can't use cruise control and contract my right leg for a while, I really suffer at longer than 100 miles. In my other vehicle (Honda Accord), no problem for very long drives. Again, why are pickup drivers second-class citizens for seat comfort?
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    got them put on this week to my 2000 X-cab 4X4 V6 Auto. Made a Huge improvement for both gas milage and better passing power too!! The magnaflow system is not that loud either, I didn't want the pissed off bumble bee sound!LOL.
  • mr2donmr2don Member Posts: 4
    Chorton
    What model is the muffler? Is this the two exhaust pipe system out of a single muffler?
    Thanks
    Hmm.
    According to the dyno tests that TTORA guys have run, a pass-through muffler and TRD filter add at most 5-10hp. So I'm surprised that you got so much power.
    On the other hand, I have Amsoil oiled foam filter (which has never needed cleaning in 30K miles) and magnaflow muffler as well. I didn't notice great power or mileage increase, but it's there.
    Maybe you got power increase b/c you finally cleaned your air filter? 8P
    I think you will find the biggest problem with the seat is the location of the spring in the back. It is usually located down low at the lumbar area on most seats, but in the '03 Tacoma 60/40 it's about 6" below my shoulder blades, and I'm 6'2". It was a killer for me, but I don't know how it would affect a shorter person. I have to say that I could have lived with it in the city, but I do a lot of highway driving. mntgal is also on the highway often, if I remember correctly. I sold mine to a guy up in Portland after I replaced them.
    The problems with my Tacoma 2001 seats are: no lumbar suport, no side thigh support, flat seat profile, hard seat bottom, and short seat length. The worst is short seat length and hard seat bottoms - it kills my thighs and legs on long drives. Exactly the same situation the airlines tell you to watch out for to avoid possible life-threatening leg clotting. Plus, my upholstery is wearing thin after only 20000 miles. I'm 5-10 and 185 lbs, so I don't think I'm uduly stressing the design. Toyota seats are just crap!
    Ranger, Colorado, and now Frontier all offer 4 door extended cab compact trucks. When (if ever) will Toyota offer this feature for it's compact trucks. The double cab is nice, however, I'd really like to have an XCab with small rear doors.
    Seems like the Tacoma is getting long in the tooth. Camry, Corolla, Sienna, 4Runner all have been redesigned with little change to the Tacoma during the same time frame.
  • emtemt Member Posts: 39
    I keep hearing 2005 for the new Taco, but have not heard much else such as engine choices, other than the same V-6 in the 4 runner will be offered. Toyota seems to be keeping this a big secret for some reason. I would like to see the 6 foot bed offered on the double cab like Nissan offers. The puny box now offered on the DC will do me no good at all, but I would like to have the DC for as my next truck, if it had the 6ft. bed. Other things on my wish list are better seats, no not better, superior seats. The seats in my 98 Taco x-cab are tolerable at best. How about the first(for the 21st century and US) small/mid size truck with a diesel???? With all the secrecy behind the new Taco, I hope Toyota will give us another winner and show the rest of the world who really does make the best and longest lasting trucks on the road.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    The new 2005 model is being unveiled there...the Chicago Auto Show is in the first half of February.
    This may not be the best place to post this, but here goes. I have a 98 4 x4 taco x-cab v-6 auto. I am planning a trip to the Outer Banks of NC and would like to take it on the beach. Any tips on what to do so I don't see my truck float out to sea with the tide? I read about lowering tire pressure to 20lbs and following in others tracks to keep from getting in trouble, but has anyone else ever done this and if so, what advice can you give me. Thanks
    1. Be smart and don't go into water holes you don't know.
    2. 20lbs?? Whoever said that is out of their minds. In sand, typically you need less than 10. It all depends on overall conditions, how many rocks you are gonna see, etc. Many people will tell you to lower the pressure as much as possible without risking the tire breaking the bead. I'd say start with 15 lbs, drive around a little and see how it feels. If you don't like it, lower it some more.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    This may seem obvious BUT....don't forget to bring an inflator with you to air back up. Don't laugh; I've seen it happen.....
  • apicalsysapicalsys Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a new '04 Tacoma Dbl. Cab with the V6. I have noticed what sounds kinda like spark knock when accelerating. I just passed 1000 miles but it has done this since day one. To see if this is spark knock, I put a tank of 93 octane in but still hear the "noise". I definitely don't want to have to use 93 octane and would like to stay with 89. I traded in a Jeep Cherokee that would knock unless I used 93 octane so I figured 93 would stop the noise in the Tacoma but it didn't. I'm not sure if this is a real problem or just normal for a Tacoma V6. Also, I am very picky so this may just be normal. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I'd rather ask you guys than the dealer. I have the extended warranty so I'm not too concerned but would still rather prevent than have to fix a problem. I would also rather avoid the dealership and their "expert diagnosis". Thanks in advance for any responses.
    No unusual noise in my Tacoma with V6. Maybe you can listen to some other Tacoma engines next time you are at dealer and also have the mechanic listen to the noise.

Here is some info. on detonation I just read http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm
    interesting
  • indacurl2kindacurl2k Member Posts: 54
    emt,
    I've got a 98 Taco 4x4 x-cab also (5-spd though) and have taken it on the beaches down there plenty of times. 15-20 lbs. is fine. From what I can recall, nearly all of the gas stations south of Nags Head have free air compressors but the ones in and north of Nags Head seem to charge $$. Get yourself a tire gauge at the very least, your own compressor would be a good idea too.

Make sure you know the tides and also pay attention to how far the last high tide came up. It'll be noticeable enough. Try to minimize your time on the wetter sand/mud. Don't park too close to the water (in the mud), park closer to the dunes (but not in/on them). Also make sure you have the name of a local towing company just in case.

One time I was down there I saw a group of people get their 4wd suburban stuck in the mud and the tide was coming in. They were trying to dig the mud out from underneath to try and get more clearance. They were yelling at me for not helping them but I saw what was happening. Their truck sank deeper into the mud with each shovel/hand full of mud they dug out. A guy in a 2wd F150 offered to pull them out but couldn't. He nearly ruined his rear axle and got stuck in the mud himself. Yep, two for the price of one. A tow truck driver eventually came to their aid for like $75 apiece or something like that. Not more than 20 minutes later, about 1/2 mile down the beach a guy in a jeep got stuck and the same tow truck came out to bail him out too. $225 for that guy in less than an hour! I started shopping tow trucks the next day.

Have fun and I hope it goes well 4 ya'!
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my request about beach driving. I just thought while I am there, I might as well have some more fun in the sand. Jeff(indacurl2k), I will be doing my beach driving on Hateras Island, in the area south of Salvo. I will keep my cell phone and tow truck service number handy! Hopefully I will not need it. Take care everyone

Joe
This discussion has been closed.