Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• msibillemsibille Posts: 275
    You're right to be concerned. The "stability" may be as much a problem for many vehicles at that speed. The problem is that "good" modern suspensions that are still "tight" are going to "feel stable" at speeds that are not safe. If nobody and nothing ever gets in your way and you don't have to make an evasive maneuver, it's probably not an issue. However, like with motorbikes, most of your worries aren't with regard to your errors, but those of others that don't see you (whether or not they've looked) or other road hazards.
    The higher the CG, the larger the ratio of CG to track width, and a number of other factors of course, the more serious this becomes. I would not feel comfortable driving my 2WD PreRunner Dble Cab at 85 or more. It would likely "feel" fine. But wouldn't slalom worth a ....
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I drive a 3" lifted 4WD with 31x10.5R15 BFG AT KOs on 15x8 rims (not 16x7 stock rims) with tires sitting about .5-1" wider than on stock truck.
    For me 80 is normal cruising speed. I wouldn't push my truck past 95 for a long time, but I feel completely safe at 80-85.
    If you're worried, throw 2 50lb bags of sand in the bed to increase traction. And no, it's not too tall.
    Just make sure she doesn't do any 85 mph lane changes that would flip the truck over (like that lady in Ford Explorer).
    Remember, it's not speed that kills, it's inability to handle the speed.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    Here's two pics -- not bad if you ask me. I don't think you need a password to see em...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1906- - 9
    Too big too.
    Oh well, I'll get a few more years out of my Taco.
  • I'm looking at a 2WD Prerunner that has the locking differential. Was wondering if any one has experienced how well this vehicle might perform in moderate snow? I live in Indiana and while we don't always get very much snow, when we do, and I've driven other 2WD pickups, there is usually alot of wheel spin and stuck situations. Any advice or experience appreciated.
  • Snow tires are a must, get a good set of 4 like Blizzaks or my favorite Goodyear Ultragrips. I had those on my 2wd Ranger, and had no problems at all (this was in upstate NY). Just be gentle with the gas, and get the narrowest possible tire you can. Of course snows on my 4wd Tacoma let me go through 2 feet of snow with no diffculty. In short, 4WD is very nice, but not neccessary by any means.
  • Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way to change the oil filter on an '04 with a V6? Does not look too easy...
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Posts: 301
    Remove the front skidplate as one assembly.Do not seperate the two plates.You will remove a total of 7 12mm bolts,3 in the front,2 in the middle and two in the rear.Swing the rear of the skidplate down and remove towards the rear onhooking the catch hook in the front.If it is the first oil change,the filter will most likely be very tight as usual from the factory.You will need some sort of filter wrench to loosen it.you will also need a 14mm wrench or socket for the drain plug.The V6 takes 6 qts w/filter.Hope this helps...good luck.
    An alternative:
    Turn the wheel left as far as possible.
    In the drivers front wheel well, unhook the rubber liner that is covering the gap between frame rail and the well.
    Stick your hand right through the gap and the filter will be directly infront of you.
    You still want to take the skidplate off (both of them) to avoid spillage when you remove the filter. But it's definitely easier for larger people to get in through the well than through underneath.
  • have the dealer do it...mine costs $21.95
  • On the toyota website it says you can get a sport access cab. but if that is true then why r all these people saying you cant? and how is the sound system in a tacoma. is it hi quality or normal stok krap?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Toyota website says you can now finally get a double cab V-6 4x4 with the 6-speed manual (all double cabs thru '04 were automatics)! You have to choose the short bed, but fine, no problem...maybe I can yet replace my old 4Runner with a Toyota (get the cap for the bed and it is almost the same - there are no manual-shift 4Runners available any more).

BUT...

It seems that no such configured truck will be available in my area. :-(
    We only get the long-bed automatics in my region. When the time comes to replace my truck (still a year off or so, I have earned my lesson not to buy first-year models from Toyota, or anyone else for that matter), I might conduct a far-reaching search and see where the nearest place is where I can get the configuration I want...

The option is the Dakota, where V-8 manual 4x4s are available in crew cab (the base V-8 has about the same power rating as Toyota's V-6).

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• opimaxopimax Posts: 73
    Seems to me that the Tacoma would be the closest. I have a 2k2 Camry xle. I need a to haul stuff on rare occasions. I have a g35 coupe for long trips and and car duties. I would mostly commute, put my bicycle in the back, go the hardware and grocery store, etc. I want the luxury version and largest cab available. What year did the Xtended cab start? is there a 2nd seat available and/or 2nd door? are there any missing luxury items that stand out? Is the gas mileage and TCO really that different between engine choices? I just decided this yesterday so this is my first step. Thanks for your opinions and facts

Mark
  • opimax:

Car/truck comparisons are tough to do, but.....

I had a 1991 Corolla sedan prior to buying my '04 Taco Double Cab (four doors). I'd say the rear seat space in the '04 Taco is the same or better than the Corolla. The overall "cabin" space is about the same. (the '05 Tacos have been redesigned, and offer more space...wider, etc.)

In some respects, the Taco Double Cab is like a Camry with a bed. HOWEVER, remember that this is a TRUCK. You will probably notice that it rides higher, possibly a little rougher ride on the road, is longer and wider, turns a little differently, etc.....Don't expect it to ride like a Camry. As far as interior options, I'm guessing that you won't be able to find all the same creature comforts that you can get with a decked out Camry.
  • eric6eric6 Posts: 10
    Hi,

I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with a 2.7 liter engine and a automatic transmission. Is there some tag on the rear axle that I can decipher to get the gear ratio? Any codes?
  • You should find what you are looking for here:

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html
  • eric6eric6 Posts: 10
    Thanks for your help.

I have a 4.3 on my 1998 toyota tacoma pre-runner
  • If I'm planning on doing some pretty serious off roading with a 2005 Tacoma is it a must that i get the TRD package instead of the sr5 4wd? How much better is the suspension/offroad capability with the trd package than with the sr5 4wd?
  • how soft is the 05 sr5 4wd suspension?
  • I'm in the market for a used Toyota Tacoma. Right now I'm looking at 2 Tacomas.

One is a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L v6 extended cab with 143,000 miles and a nice fiberglass cap with a negotiated price of $9,500.

The other is a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L v6 extended cab with 106,000 miles, no cap, but a bed cover with a price of $7,500.

Both are in excellent condition, however the 2000 Tacoma is the only one I have actually looked at and driven. I will look at and drive the 1997 Tacoma before purchasing, however that vehicle is in another state and a good road trip away.

The 2000 Tacoma really is in mint condition with one owner that the dealership knew well and who traded his 2000 in for a new Tacoma. It looks to be meticulously cared for. Drove great!

The question is: What's a better deal? The 3 year older truck, with 37,000 fewer miles and $2,000 cheaper? or the newer truck with more miles, one owner, and well cared for? Blue book shows the private party value of the '97 to be $7,930. So $7,500 is in the ballpark. Blue book on the 2000 for retail shows $11,000 private party and $13,700 retail. The asking price was $11,988.

I like the idea of paying $2000 less and getting a truck with less miles on the '97. What's more important - less miles or a new vehicle (2000 as opposed to a '97)? How big a difference really is 106k than 143k? Seems like the better deal actually based on Blue Book is the 2000 Tacoma.

Also, I'd ideally like to get a 2.7L I4 because of the better fuel economy. These have been harder to find than the v6's. From your experience, how much better really are the I4's than the V6's for fuel economy? A mile or two per gallon, or a lot better? If a lot better, I may hold off for an I4.

Lots of questions there, any help would be greatly appreciated!