Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fog Lights

2»

Comments

• olivier0629olivier0629 Member Posts: 1
    I think you can get them from www.autopartsway.com at a good price. Check if they have your model. I always buy from them my auto parts.
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    Just remember that it's "red right returning" when you are inbound to docking. :confuse:

About a year ago I impulsively bought a sale-priced set of universal fog lights from a nearby Harbor Freight Tools outlet. I recently (finally) decided to install them on my 2004 Jeep GC Laredo. Luckily, I didn't need any extra parts or whatever, thus holding the home installation to the original $10.00 purchase price as the total expense. The kit works like a champ, and only required some 8 or 10 hours of my time to cleanly install... aaaaaargh!
  • seqouiadsumsseqouiadsums Member Posts: 6
    I just recently bought an 01 Sequoia and the previous owner started to install fog lights but never got around to hooking them up to a switch. I would like to know what is the best way to hook them up so that I can switch them on/ off in the cab and also have them turn off when I turn off my regular lights. I have been looking around for a description for dummies like me but can't seem to find one. I know enough about electrical to install them but I need some help to make sure I don't fry my other electrical. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Most are wired either to a separate relay circuit and switch so as not to overload the headlight circuit. They suck a lot of juice and they really should be on their own circuit. I wouldn't advise wiring them to the headlights although I do notice that most automakers will not allow them to go on with the high beams on--not sure why they do that.
    Do you happen to know of any websites that have some good step by step instructions and wiring them? It would be great to see some pics if you know where that information might be. Trust me I have looked and can't seem to find a comprehensive guide to installing fog lights.
    Usually instructions are included when you buy any kind of decent quality kit. You get the switch, relay, wiring, the whole SHE-BANG, along with instructions. On your vehicle, you should ask the dealer what their kit costs---your vehicle may already be pre-wired.
    Ok so here's the deal. The previous owner put in lights that hook directly into the oem wiring but when you plug them in nothing happens. Do you know if I need to tap into the wires running from the lights to the fuse box and then run a switch?
    I think you should run a circuit right from the battery, put in your own fuse, your own relay and your own switch. You might check to see if there is already a relay in the relay box that is supposed to handle fog lights. It should be indicated in the owner's manual or on the lid of the box. I wouldn't mess with someone else's (obviously) screwed up wiring. If you fry a harness you are in deep doo-doo.

Here's a complete diagram for you!

How To Wire Up Fog Lights
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If it's the OEM wiring harness, my guess is that the previous person installing it didn't install the relay and fuse for the OEM Foglight circuit. This is why it likely isn't working.

-mike
    Checked on the fuse it's intact, oem wiring is good and ready to connect to lights, lights look like oem, not sure if relay is in place but there are no open spots that are missing a relay. The upgraded version (Limited) has a multi function switch on the steering column so I'm wondering if I was able to get the other switch installed if it would fix the problem.
  • fly7fly7 Member Posts: 1
    hi..i am new to this forum..i have my base rav4 2006..and i just bought a factory fog lamps..and i installed it..and i connected it..the thing is..it didnt work..do i changed my headlight switch w/ fog lamps?beause my switch have not...are there any things to be done instead? i hope my questions will be answers....

thanks a lot.........
    gio
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well any headlight will need a switch to turn power on, a relay to handle the higher current draw than the switch can handle, the wiring to the fog lamps, and the fog lamps themselves.

I don't have any RAV electrical schematics, but did you do any research into all of the parts that you needed to make fog lamps work in that vehicle?

Can you look at a 06 rav that has foglights, and see what switch they need to turn on?

You may want to haul yourself over to a dealership, and go buddy up with the parts guy.
  • codmystercodmyster Member Posts: 3
    Hello All

my name is rob i have a 2001 highlander all my lights are perfect except the parking lights all

grounds,fuses,relays,etc are fine but still no parking lights ... i have brake headlights, turn, reverse,etc no parking lights.

Please im begging yoiu toyota highlander (GODS) if u can lend a kind hand for im disabled and

no money in the till to bring to a shop...

Please ill do what ever to try anything any suggestions or better yet the fix would be most

appreciated. So if any one can lend me opinons,facts,real thoughs,anything to fix this,Its for

my wife and i cant have her driving home in the dark with no tail lights (AKA) parking lights

Please i await your help with great egarness.

thanks and godbless you all

rob aka codmyster
    Well i hope this helps does the led have a wire coming off of it where you can get to it,Is this one of the three wires you were talking about?I
    If so make sure you get the led wire and put it on the switch side of the switch that way when you turn on the fog's the led as well as the fog's turn on. If for some reason you have to add a diode or relay mess me back and i can help you wire up most anything for that. Im sorry i hope this helped you.

Cod
    Well here a get started and help you wire it up ill keep it simple..

1. unpack pack the fog's and get the wires and what else that are in there..

2. now you going to have to run the wires from the hood area to inside the car and please make sure to use split loom, and groments when going thur the firewall.

3. your going to need to wire them up after market or go thur the pain finding all the factory plugs and relay slots in the hood area. Or you can
    follow the details ill help you with.

4. ok last and not least you need to mount and wire up ill do my best in order to lead you simple steps.

ok first you need to get your hands on 1 bosch dbl poll dbl throw relay 30 to 40 amp . you can find them at any radio shack online even walmart i have gottem them there before. you going to need spilt loom, black tape, tie wraps, and some butt connectors, female spade insulated connectors that will fit on the relay u need to wire in..

ok here is simple wiring diagram for relay on fog..

LOOK ON RELAY you will see numbers 30,85,86,87,87a.....

ok the easiest way is to get a battery supply from the battery with a 20 amp fuse, and try and use no less then 10-12 gauage wire.

ok here u go ..

30 is to the battery all the time FUSED.
    86 is to ground. chasis ground to the body or good ground spot, dont skimp make sure its clean ground connection..
    85 is from the key of the ign.. this mean when u turn your key on there is 12 volts coming from this wire here.
    87 is to the switch of the fog lamps switch side the off postion then the wire you ran thur the fire wall goes to the on side of the rocker or on off switch for fog lamps.. here is my email rgullo@cfl.rr.com if u need i can give u my number i have done all kind of electronics for over 25 years..

Make sure if u email me give your name and say im the one with the fog lamps.. then ill email u back and we can go from there..

I hope this helps your GOODLUCK & GODBLESS...

CODMYSTER
  • snaumansnauman Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    There are a lot of companies... you can just google it as car lighting customization.. you can buy it online..its best to buy it from a company in your locality.. a friend of mine lives in Ilford.. he prefers a local company something called "Autolights"... n he is very satisfied with their service.. so in my opinion it is better to contact the best company in your locality for the service.. :D..
    -Nauman