Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dianamariadianamaria Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 PT. Sometimes when I accelerate, the brake light comes on and stays on until I tap the brakes. It sometimes does this when I accelerate from a full stop, sometimes when I'm already moving. It doesn't seem to be accompanied by any gripping of the actual brakes - just a not-so-random light. Happens more often if I accelerate aggressively than when I gradually accelerate. Of course, the dealer hasn't been able to replicate this problem. Anyone had similar experiences and should I worry? Thanks. :confuse:
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    check the fluid level in the master cylinder. As the brakes wear and the fluid level drops, it will cause those symptoms. As the brakes wear further and the level drops a bit more, the light would go on all the time.
  • dianamariadianamaria Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. Can I just add more fluid or should I think about replacing the brakes? I only have 25,000 miles on the car.
  • sh56sh56 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser with manual transmission and 23,000 miles. Suddenly as I was driving it became extremely difficult to shift gears. Then it was ok. I drove about 1/2 mile and the problem happened again and this time I could not change gears at all. I had to turn the engine off before I was able to shift to any gear. If I started the car in 1st gear, I could not shift to any other gear. I finally made it home turned the engine off and then turned it back on and had no problems shifting gears. I drove the car about 1/2 mile with no problems.

Does anyone know what could be the possible causes for this problem? I'd like to have some idea of possible causes so as not to incur unnecessary expense.

Thank you.
  • gthompson1gthompson1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife & I own a 2002 PT cruiser. 7 weeks ago with only 22,000 miles our transmission would not up-shift properly. We took it to the dealer and were shocked when we found it was not in warranty. They replaced the 22020 Trans output speed sensor and we reluctantly paid the $210.30. 2 weeks and 200 miles later it did exactly the same thing again. They again replaced the Trans output speed sensor as it was defective, but at no charge. On March 16th we again took the cruiser in as the same problem arose again. The first internal controller module they received was defective and they had to reorder it. When it finally came in I was very upset at being charged $563.96 and THEY REFUSED TO GIVE ME THE DEFECTIVE PART. Now it has the same problem again. Help!!
    What would anyone suggest?? garythompson@remax.net or call toll free 800-380-7355. Thanks a bunch
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Adding fluid will take care of the initial problem which is low brake fluid. Of course the brake fluid IS low most likely because of wear on the brakes so it's certainly an encouragement to have the brakes checked. The fluid sensor seems to be fairly sensitive so I suspect that you would probably find the front pads to be about half worn.
  • whizwhiz Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find the cause to rattle? I have a 2001 that I found the hatch cover making some noise ,but it gets real loud on bumpy roads, still looking for the culprit.
  • hutch3531hutch3531 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 turbo PT and have a squeak that seems to come and go with the temp. more as it gets warmer out. The dealer didn't seem like they wanted to look for it. I'm going back and demand they fix it. :(
  • buckeyes2432buckeyes2432 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 Cruiser and I love it so far. It is a standard and when i am completely stopped the car idles rough like it is about to stall. it does this when i have the clutch in or even when i have the car in nuetral. anyone know what i can do to solve this problem. i love the car but this is an annoying problem.
  • buckeyes2432buckeyes2432 Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with the rough idling at a stop. what have u heard will solve the problem? Thanks for your help
  • vivovivo Member Posts: 1
    I have taken my '04 in three times now. Today I phoned the service dept on my way home to say it was still happening...and it happened three times during the phone call! The mechanic has informed me that there are numerous complaints coming in, that Chrysler is trying to find a fix, but at this point, there is none. They have replaced plugs and thought it was a sensor..but they still don't have a clue. He told me this is happening all over...and to please be patient until they can find out what is wrong. I came on this site for the first time to see if anyone else is having the problem. It's a rough idle and will actually die on me occasionally. Anyone else??
  • likemyptlikemypt Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2001 Touring and have been very happy with it. No major problems up till now. Yesterday, after a day of driving without incident, returned to the car after it was parked for 2 hours. Put the key in the ignition and nothing happened. No clicking sound of a starter trying to start, no other sounds. Checked lights to make sure battery was working -- it was. On the instrument panel, the lights for air bag, seat belt, oil and anti-theft were on even when the key was out of the ignition - they were just staying on. (I am not sure what this anti-theft light corresponds to as we have nevber used an anti-theft system nor are aware of PT having one). The automatic door locks would work to open the doors but not to lock them. Any ideas on what could be going on? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • twodamphattwodamphat Member Posts: 1
    i could be the low brake fluid
  • likemyptlikemypt Member Posts: 2
    An update on the problem in post 178: My mechanic said that after removing the dash and instrument panel he found two relays that were still in the ON position. When he replaced them the car started -- he started it several times and it was starting OK. But he is concerned with whether it was just the relays that were bad or did something cause the relays to get stuck in ON. He has checked Tech Service Bulletins and hasn't found anything specific about relays. Has anyone else encountered this or have any ideas -- we'd hate to drive the car with a worry that this could recur because we cured the symptom but no the disease. Thanks.
  • the_raventhe_raven Member Posts: 1
    We had the exact same problem. After getting the Jiffy Lube treatment (Signature Service) the problem disappeared. So, our guess is that it is related to brake fluid levels.
  • davef3davef3 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: HI i just bought a turbo GT 2003 automatic. I have read the consumers reports on these cars and they are rated very high. But on this site there seems to be many problems with them. My question is about gas mileage the dealers tell me you can get 32 highway on this page i have only seen 22. With the turbo engine do you have to use premium fuel or can you use regular unleaded gas
  • andy27andy27 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 PT Turbo with an automatic trans and for the most past love the car. One thing I do notice is that once I back up out of my driveway and put the car in drive it really clunks into gear. Seems to do this only when the car is cold. Its almost like dropping the clutch on a manual (although not quite that severe). I have heard bad things of Chrysler trannys and wonder if anyone else has this problem or knows if this is normal?? It does not so it all the time, but enough to make me nervous.
  • jonathancjonathanc Member Posts: 1
    Regarding the door locks that won't work anymore. I had exactly the same thing happen after my battery went dead one day. According to www.ptdoityourself.net this is a problem with the RKEM (remote keyless entry module) which is under the dash. According to other sites on the web, this is a common problem with this car--the RKEM goes haywire and the locks don't work or work erratically.

I've doing some diagnostics on it now. Most likely, it'll need to be replaced and then taken to the dealer so the keys will work again.

It's amazing how fragile this car is. I'm very disappointed in it.

Jonathan
  • bamapt1bamapt1 Member Posts: 1
    HAVE 2005 PT CONV. TURBO - LOVE THE CAR BUT MAX HIWAY MILEAGE
    HAS BEEN 22 MPH.
  • jessie5jessie5 Member Posts: 1
    I had my '01 serviced at the dealership in Feb.& in March I noticed the smell of antifreeze. Now I have discovered that the green vs. orange antifreeze was used & it has been diagnosed with needing a new water pump.. Is it possible the wrong antifreeze caused this??The dealer says no OF COURSE!!Help!!! :
  • davef3davef3 Member Posts: 3
    :( Did you use premium fuel or regular. Little disapointed with that gas mileage. I owed a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 3.5 v6 automatic pretty decent gas mileage. I think this new PT Crusier is going to be worse.Does this car have to have premium fuel or regular. Dave<
  • taylor10taylor10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited.
    Currently, it has 93,000 miles.
    When I drive, I have noticed that I am feeling bumps a lot more than usual.Can somebody tell me what this is and how much it would be to fix it?
  • jmusserjmusser Member Posts: 3
    tell me more. we have two 2001 cruisers, 35k miles, and they just started making clunking noises from the back especially on bumpy roads.
    just found the prolem. the rear wheel well liner, called the splash shield in the manual. especially on the drivers side. the liner is not one piece. the large piece is screwed to the body but the smaller plastic pieces use plastic push pins to keep them in place. they are now a little loose.

but the driver side is a bit longer and lower. and I guess after 4 years the body has lowered a little as the springs and shocks wear. now the shield can hit the connection between the stabilizer bar and the link when going over bumps. I simply pulled it up and away and wired it in place to the frame. Noise 95% gone. these seem to be attached to the "rear bumper fascia", the grey bumper cover and the colored plastic below. they empasize the noise of the splash shield banging the link.
  • jtrushjtrush Member Posts: 1
    hi andy,
    i got a 2002 pt with an automatic transmission. its not a turbo. anyhow my tranny went dec. 2004 and the dealership said my filter was totally clogged. now today the tran went again and its clunking. i got no reverse and barely any forward motion. my question is do you know if this is an issue with these cars?
    jimmy
  • buckeyeppcbuckeyeppc Member Posts: 1
    Was this problem ever resolved ? My 2001 Cruiser is acting the same way and I'd hate to pay a lot to have a mechanic start from scratch if this was already resolved.

thanks.
  • davidspeardavidspear Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 turbo PT with a squeak in the steering column similar to hutch3531. It seems to get worse as the car heats up. It first showed up about three weeks ago when the car had only 5,000 miles on it. When driving straight ahead, as on the freeway, everything is fine. But when turning either left or right, a squeak, like rubber on rubber, begins, and then continues the whole time you're turning. It takes all the fun out of driving the car. I went to the dealer last week and they sprayed a lithium lubricant, but that didn't help. This week they replaced two boots (whatever that is), but unfortunately it didn't seem to help. Any suggestions?
  • andy27andy27 Member Posts: 5
    Jimmy, I'm not sure if its a big problem with Chryslers small cars, but I know Dodge trucks have bad tranny issues. My father in law has a Dodge Ram 3/4 ton and the tranny blew out at 60,000 miles. He said the trannies they throw in thier trucks cannot handle the engine. I'm hoping the problem is an isolated issue with the trucks and have not spillied over to the PT lineup. I'm worried my clunking noise could develop into a serious problem.
    Anyone else with tranny problems on the Cruiser?
  • ptpurpleptpurple Member Posts: 1
    I have an '01 Cruiser and have had this same problem several times beginning about 6 months ago. They changed my spark plugs. The problem stopped for awhile, started again about a month ago, lasted about a week. It started again about 3 weeks after that and I drove directly to my mechanic so he could see.....No problem codes came up and he found nothing to be problematic. He has sent me to the dealer to reflash the car's computer with software updates. Not sure what this is going to do...My mechanic thinks the problem may be in one fuel injector but it will be costly and time consuming to check that out and he's not positive that that's the problem.
  • redbellyredbelly Member Posts: 1
    did you ever solve this problem??? the same thing happened to me last week? I haven't figured it out yet?
  • preynoldspreynolds Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have a recommendation for good tires for a 2001 Cruiser? I've been using Goodyear Eagles and seem to be constantly replacing them. I'd appreciate any suggestions...
  • preynoldspreynolds Member Posts: 3
    I've put over 100k on my 2001 model, commute is about 65 miles per day. Lve the car, only real trouble has been with the tires. Goodyear Eagles (which it looks like most Cruisers have) wear quickly and I also bent a rim slamming into a pothole! Dealer could not find a matching rim so they did a repair job. The pepair isn't totally perfect so there's a slow leak, just adding to the tire problems.
    But, other than all this, I love the car!
  • ptmomma01ptmomma01 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same PT and am going thru the same exact thing ! i have had it looked at once. the battery was replaced, tuned up & replaced the ignition switch. it did good for 2 weeks then those problems came back. we hadn't thought about the relays. i'll tell my mechanic about that. Have you cured your problem ? If so, please tell me how. Thanks. :sick:
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is looking to speak with owners of Chrysler, Saab, Toyota or Volkswagen vehicles who did all the scheduled maintenance on their vehicle and still experienced engine sludge within the warranty period within the past year. If this describes your situation, please respond by 6pm Eastern on Monday, May 23, 2005 to jfallon@edmunds.com.
    Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • mrciviljimmrciviljim Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I was realy happy with the GT but really disappointed in the single note horn. I wish Chrysler would offer a "Town and Country" note horn like the old (50-60's) 300's and Town and Country's. The other option would be the old Roadrunner horn. The T&C horns were very big and "L" shaped don't think they would fit. Or know of a late model DC that has decent horns. Short of going to a dealer and "beeping" all the horns like a kid. I'm defering to better judgement.

As a last resort, does anyone know the part number for the high note PT horn?
  • dicksautogroupdicksautogroup Member Posts: 1
    Look under the steering colum for an ignition switch. could be a failsafe dunno what for... but mine wouldnt start and i started tearing it apart found a switch... flipped and POOF like magic. started right up
    :blush:
  • hazybuckhazybuck Member Posts: 1
    First off . . . I love my car! . . . and I am beginning to hate my car!

I've had the car at 3 dealerships on 7 occasions since December to try to eliminate a vibration during idle. The vibration is so bad that my teenage daughter gets motion sick if she is in the front passenger seat. My legs tingle from the vibration in the seat, the brake pedal now vibrates, and it's beginning to occur when driving down the road!

Help! Is ANYONE out there experiencing this problem -- it is getting much worse, the dealerships have acknowledged that it's 'worse than normal' but can't seem to eliminate the problem.

In addition, Heaven help me if I dare to idle (like at a red light) with the AIR CONDITIONING on . . . it vibrates AND there is noise -- the noise goes away if I turn off the A/C -- but is this NORMAL???

Please help me!
  • sidneesidnee Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a PT Cruiser Convertible but I would like to know how difficult is the visibility when the top is up as well as when the top is down with the boot applied. :confuse: I realized that there will be some blind spots, but is that enough to hinder my decision on purchasing a PT Cruiser. Thanks.
  • k2hk2h Member Posts: 7
    Well actually I don't a PT Cruiser, but my aunt has a 2003 PT Cruiser GT with the 4-Speed Auto, and everytime she uses the autostick, it only shows 3 gears. I find that strange that it shows 3 gears and not 4. anyone had this problem.
    I was wrong. and it should be called a clunk, not a rattle.

was the bell crank, the center link of the watts links on the rear suspension. (pictured on the chrysler pt cruiser web site, suspension). It should only rotate about the mounting bolt, but play allowed front/back motion, and the bottom connecting bolt was striking frame.

$75 part, two hours install (and a one hour charge to diagnose that I was right)
  • donethadonetha Member Posts: 1
    We have had nothing but problems with our 2002 Cruiser.

First the transmission went out (2003) Then the brake lights woudlnt work. Now we have a recurring problem.

Whenever it gets to warm here the car wont start. The lights and everything come on, and there is a clicking noise but thats it. We have taken it in 4 times now. Today is the latest. The last 3 times once it got to the dealership it started right up. They said it was our security system and took that out. Then it was our trailer hitch.

But this time it wont start even for them. They said its probably the battery, but might be the starter.

Before this happened I went and got the tires rotated. The rims are corroding and need to be replaced. We just had the brakes done and they still squeal horribly. I really am thinking about trading this car in.
  • mszurgotmszurgot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 PT Cruiser that has lost the back lighting in the instrument cluster. My questions, before I pull the dashboard apart are : How many light bulbs are in the instrument cluster for the back lighting? Is there a fuse that powers the back lighting? The owner's manual does not cover any of this information. The green lighting around the numbers are working. It is only the back white lights that do not come on. This makes the instrument cluster very difficult to see at dusk.

Thanks for any help,

Mike
  • tooncartooncar Member Posts: 2
    Two Sundays ago on a hot day I noticed a funny smell in the car when I had the ac on but when I turned the car off when I stopped at a store for a bit I saw what was either smoke or vapors coming from the hazard light button and maybe by the ignition switch. I have a 2001 PT Cruiser purchased in Nov 2000 which is at 41,000 miles. I debated turning the car back on when I came out of the store 15 minutes later but did after I tilted the wheel down to watch if anything happened. I didn't notice anything and I made it home but the car has sat in my driveway since. I have read the message boards and I thought it was the power steering recall and then the ac vapor stinkiness but now I don't know whether it could be related to the fog light. For some time, the fog light has flickered on and seemed as if the button is pulled out when it isn't but wiggling it did the trick but it was daylight so I don't know if it was on? How do I disable the fuse so I can drive it to the dealership? Thanks!
  • clnchfieldpaulclnchfieldpaul Member Posts: 7
    Look at owners manual to locate fuse box and then look at owners manual to locate fuse for foglights.

If you take it to the dealer, let me know what they tell you and if it is the same the told my girlfriend. Thanks
  • johnm4johnm4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 p/t ltd edition will not shut down. This happens every few days, you turn it off ,remove the key and it runs. At first idiot lights come on , speedometer jumps between zero and one hundred and twenty and it seems to be trying to shut off as it dies and suges, After turning the key on and off a couple of times, it runs steady. The transmission also locks up in park. I took it to the dealer who had no idea what was wrong but at least didn't charge me.The only way to shut it down is to disconnect the battery and turn on fan then hope it dies. The day running lights then remain on. and reset upon battery reconnection. Has anyone had a similar problem or know what the sollution might be? (I ,too, have the fog light problem.)

John
  • brettwbrettw Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I am sitting hear reading this posting thinking, my 04 PT is going back to the dealer for the 5th time in less than 3 month for this exact problem. Can you tell me if they found an answer to the idling problem? When we are at a stop light/sign the car will idle roughly and on occasion idle down to dead. We also have a bogging type of sensation and loss of power on occasion when turn right or left from a stop. We have also had the bogging happen on the highway, the car will bog down from 70 to 50 mph before picking up again. You can stomp on the gas peddle with no results, seems something is clogged then breaks loose. The dealer has replace plugs and wires, flashed the computers, checked sensors, and tomorrow will be replacing the ERG valve. I would really love to know if your mechanics have resolved your issues.
    This site is very good (and free) that lists all the recalls on PTs, good luck!

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/01-int/chrysler/
    Guys,

This site will allow you to search for the TSB and read them for free! Good luck!!

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/
  • dinsdaledinsdale Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    My job has me in Southern California for the next several weeks. My rental car is a 2005 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. So far, it's a very fun drive, but I have one complaint: Being a rental car, it doesn't have an owner's manual. The previous driver of this rental apparently had no real appreciation for music and cranked the treble setting to '8' and the bass down to '1.' I'd like to adjust these settings, because the CD's I play all sound rather tinny with these settings. Unfortunately, I've been unable to figure out the button settings necessary to actually adjust the treble, bass, fade or balance.

Based on Chryler's PT Cruiser web-site, it appears that I have the base model sound system (AM-FM Stereo with single CD player). I'd greatly appreciate any replies that will tell me how to adjust these settings.

Thanks

Tony
  • bstackbstack Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tip. I had a similar noise that was driving me crazy, because the car had been tight and rattle-free for its first 47,000 miles. Thanks to your post and the suspension diagram from the website, my dealer was able to fix the problem before I set out on 600 mile 4th of July trip. I suspect that if I had just said I had a "clunk" with no details, the dealer would have said it was "all in my head."
This discussion has been closed.