Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• billbrown1billbrown1 Member Posts: 2
    I have 54000 trouble free miles on this car
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    My Steelblue 2002 celebrates it's second birthday tomorrow. It already has over 30K miles on it.
  • birdman12birdman12 Member Posts: 2
    FYI this applies to PT's too.

Two weeks ago I took my 1999 300m into Discount Tire to have the wheels balanced and rotated and I learned a tidbit of information about our cars that I would like to pass on.

Discount removed all the wheel weights and balanced my wheels the first time with tape weights.

The tape weights did not balance very well so I took it back and asked them to use clip on weights and a dynamic balance which they did.

My wife was driving the car on the freeway and told me she would hear a loud THUNK and the car would start vibrating which was the wheel weights flying off the rims.

I took it back two more times to two Discount's with the same results.

So I did a little research and found TSB 22-01-98 which discusses the proper wheel weights for our cars and called Discount to see if they had these weights, which they did not.

BTW, The proper wheel weights for the 17" rims is called an LHS weight, it is used on LHS, 300M, Town & Country, PT Cruiser...

So I called NTB, no weights, and then called a tire equipment wholesaler in town which told me to go to Sams Club.

Believe it our not my Sams Club has a wonderful assortment of wheel weights for many cars and had the correct LHS weights for the 300m.

You of course could take your car to the dealer for balancing but Sams is probably cheaper.

Now my wife is happy and the car drives smooth again.

Thanks

BM12
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Thanks for the info. My Cruiser has a combination of weight types from the factory. The inside of the wheel has clip on weights and the outside has stick on (there is no lip for clip on weights on the chrome outside surface of the wheel).

The problem on the Cruiser GT with standard wheels is that the outside stick on weights are mounted very close to the center-line of the wheel. Even though there is no wheel balance like vibrations felt, I wonder if the lack of weights on the outer part of the rim is the reason my standard Goodyear RSA tires are cupped on the outer edge.
  • charlesf1charlesf1 Member Posts: 52
    Costco also has the LHS weights.
    Looks like Edmunds has removed public e-mail addresses from forum profiles. Is this permanent?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I don't know if what you see today will be permanent. Feedback would be appreciated, so please send your comments via the feedback form or post them in Our Software: Your questions answered...

Thanks!
  • acotichacotich Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me get my radio to work again without the dealer removing it and sending it off to never never land.
    After having a totally drained battery (lights on on a cold snowy morning), the battery was recharged (not jumped) and everything works but the radio/cd/tape player. The 3 equalized lights flash but nothing else. The cd changer has normal power. I tried disconnecting the battery, pulling and replacing fuses, etc. Nothing works. Help is appreciated.
    Thanks email respones appreciated to acotich@ycedc.org
  • speediejohnspeediejohn Member Posts: 1
    First, it has no power. Little old lady's were zipping by me on the freeway. Then, both the front and back brakes wore out before the car had 20k miles. 3 months after the warranty was up, at 38k miles, all the brake lights failed & had to be re-wired,& the center brake light housing was burnt out and needed to be replaced. The windshield washer pump to the rear window also failed around that time, it had been previously replaced once already. The transmission developed a slow leak. Then around 40k miles, the power steering pump failed. The mechanic told me that it was the hardest car he ever worked on because the engine compartment is so crammed. The dealer tried to overcharge me & they were extremly rude.I sold it the next day.
    Sorry to hear you have had problems with your PT, they are usually very reliable. Every manufacturer makes lemons from time to time. DC is not exempt. I've had lemons from GM, Ford, Mazda and Volvo before they became Ford, and Jaguar. I have a friend with a Mercedes lemon and I spent 16 years hearing lemon law cases from these and other manufactures.

A few notes: The brakes on my 2003 look like they will out last the car. Hardly any wear in 15K mostly local driving. The rear washer uses the same pump as the front washer and it is easy to get at. Many vehicles today have tight engine compartments. My PT is easier to work on than the Jag it replaced or the Toyota that I sold a few months before that.
  • ivsunflowrivsunflowr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser with 45,000 miles on it. It smells horrible, it is so bad that my baby's stroller, blankets, and car seat stink from the smell. I am very concerned about the mold harming my 9 month old daughter. I am scared that if the smell is so bad that it is absorbing into my daughters blankets and stroller that is must be harming her!!!! My husband sprayed the "Lysol" like spray into the vents and it is worked for a few days but it is back better than ever. Unfortunately it is not under warranty anymore. Can anyone help me, and is this harming my baby???
    The smell problem is not limited to the Cruiser. Virtually any car can develop the problem. First you should make sure the drain for the A/C evaporator is open and draining properly. You may need to have the car on a lift to do this, but if the car leaves a significant puddle of water under the car when the A/C had been running the drain is probably okay.

When you use Lysol it should be sprayed into the air intake for the climate control system. The air intake is located behind the window washer tank under the hood just in in front of the windshield on the passenger side. Spray with the climate control set for outside air and the fan on. This will pull the Lysol through the entire system.

It is not uncommon for the smell to happen when you usually park on an incline or tilt. If the car isn't close to level water is trapped in the case around the evaporator which then makes a good breeding ground for mold and mildew.

There may be other chemical sprays that are more effective than Lysol, but Lysol has always worked for me.
  • pete3pete3 Member Posts: 3
    For several months now, I've had a vibration in the steering wheel when driving between 25 mph and 45 mph. The same kind of back and forth movement that you get with a tire out of balance or alignment bad. Had it to 2 different dealerships and neither could fix or even change the basic symptom. Wheel alignment, balancing, wheel rotation, tire inflation were all tried with no sucess. Another tire store with a road force balancer said it looked like all four rims have a slight wobble. Any other owners experiencing the same type of problem? Overall, I enjoy driving the car...acceleration isn't as bad as I've heard others mention and neither is the mpg.
    What year PT Cruiser and wheel/tire combination do you have. The Goodyear Eagle LS tires that were put on the 2001-2 Cruisers were problematic. There were a lot of complaints of vibration problems that were tire related. Often the problem appeared after the first time the tires were rotated.
  • wslwsl Member Posts: 1
    You may have out-of-round tires. I had a similar problem with the Goodyear Eagle LS tires. I have 2003 PT Limited in Southern IL. Well 1400 miles later, I was feeling slight vibration only between 40-50 MPH. Any speed below or above 40-50 mph, it was not noticeable. so I took it back to the dealer. After two hours of checking, they said that I had two bad front tires and they replaced them for free. Their conclusion was that I had flat spots that were making the tires off-balance at 40-50 mph. It is strange but I do not have the vibration any more.
    The Goodyear RS-A tires that came on my 2003 Cruiser have become very noisy and the outer edges cupped very quickly. No vibration though, and they ride well. Looks like they will last about 20,000 miles. Goodyear would not do anything about the cupping (happened before 5000 miles) even after the dealer checked the car for suspension and balance problems.
    Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. My PT is an 03 base model with the Goodyear Eagle LS tires. The problem appeared with just under 14K miles and before tires were rotated. Next week, it's going back to the dealer where I purchased it, again, to see if they can solve it.
    I took my Cruiser back to the original dealer this week. Service told me that they just balanced the tires and the car was OK. Since I had been told that before, I went to the dealership and asked a technician go along with me so that I could demonstrate the problem. During the test drive, I could not duplicate the steering wheel vibration. Seems like someone should have been able to balance the wheels before going through all of this, but, for now, the problem appears to have been resolved.
  • charlesf1charlesf1 Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2004 GT Turbo with 2,600 miles on it. Three weeks ago my A/C stopped working. I took it into the dealer and they had it for a week throwing parts at it. They gave me a call and said it was fixed. It worked just fine on the 18 mile drive home. The next day I had driven it no more than 3 miles when it stopped working a gain. I took it back in a week ago and they gave me a loner. They started throwing parts at it once again with suggestions from Chrysler what to do. There is a valve do in this afternoon that "they" think will solve the problem. WE SHALL SEE!!!
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    I really like my PT but, I was disappointed to find that it had a single note horn. Since I found out that it was already wired for the second note I bought the part for about $14 and installed it. Walla! A minor third sounds now when I use the horn. That is inexpensive satifaction people!
    You apparently have a 2003-4 model. The elimination of the second horn was one of the cost-cutting measures, the 2001-2 cars all came with the dual note horn, even the base models.
    The 03 was de-contented somewhat compared to the previous models. A few dollars here and there add up to a lot of money when multiplied by tens of thousands of cars.

I don't miss the passenger door key lock or the lights for the rear window switches. So far, the lack of a left foot pad for the driver hasn't shown to be a carpet wear problem either.

I didn't know we missed the formerly standard cargo net until until I installed one. Now I find it very handy.

The missing hi note horn is a safety feature to me and was installed soon after purchase.

The same can be said for the formerly standard rear sway bar. After it was installed there was a dramatic improvement in stability.

Apparently there was a change in leather quality too. My 03 leather creased and wrinkled the first week, while the earlier cars still look nice.

It will be interesting to see what DC does with content when the new body design arrives next year.
  • metalheadmetalhead Member Posts: 1
    I am considering getting a PT. I rented one for a road trip in April, where I drove 1,000 miles in four days. I absolutely fell in love with the PT. It was a brand new, Touring Edition with only one previously rental drive on it. I drove it hard for four days, up and down California's interior and coast highways. My question is, had anyone driven the daylights out of their PT yet? 75k, 100k, 100k+? I drive 150 miles daily, part of which is the hell of So Cal's morning commute. Has anyone who has driven their PT into hughe numbers, ran into any major repair problems yet?

Any input in appreciated.
    Metalhead: You will probably find a lot more people with high miles on their PTs by visiting the PTOC, PTE, and PTCC web sites. Those I know with high miles have had very few problems. There are, just like with any brand of car, some people that have had problems with their PT.

There are a number of PTOC chapters in SoCal. Most have monthly get-togethers that are open to the public. You can meet a lot of PT owners there and find out about reliability and repair issues first hand.

For example, on June 27 there is a get-together at
    Riverside Chrysler-Jeep
    7979 Auto Drive
    Riverside, CA 92504

Last year there was about 140 Cruiser owners there with their Cruisers. This year there will probably be more.

The group in San Diego met last weekend.
  • cruiserinlvcruiserinlv Member Posts: 4
    All

Has anyone else had a problem with a rattle that seems to be coming from the rear hatch door. I have not had a chance to tear the trim panel off yet to see if I could find it.

Thanks
    -Jeff
    Make sure it isn't the jack rattling. Have someone drive while you sit in the back and listen for the rattle. Take the package cover off and try to pinpoint the location of the noise.
  • cruiserinlvcruiserinlv Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info, I will check it out.
  • tedinaztedinaz Member Posts: 8
    For one armed (right ) driver is it possible to shift the 'wand' to the right side of column. I was told No at customizing shop. Thanks for any comments
  • carolecarole Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had this problem? My 2001 PT with about 33000 miles recently started to ring its bell at me and the little orange engine light shows on the dash. My husband checked all the fluids (everything was fine) and the light went out. Then after a week or so - there was the light again. I started using a "grocery store" discounted gasoline about the same time the light appeared. Any connection? Thanks for any help!
  • norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I'm sorry that I'm not answering your exact question, but do have some unsolicited advise that you probably don't need. Have you installed a steering ball onto your steering wheel? If not, you might toy with the idea of installing it on the left side. That way it's a short distance from the steering ball to the left signal wand. So when you need to signal, simply press your left knee up to the steering wheel (you may need to lower the wheel a little to make it easier) and the motion over to the the wand is minimal.
  • duckmanduckman Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem and decided to replace the tires and wheels at 28,000 miles. I went to a 16 wheel instead of a 17" wheel because of tire cost. I did have some slight scraps on one wheel but I had Discount Tire spin all wheels to check for problems. No visible damage but three wheels were bent. I suspect poor quality or factory defect. I'm hoping for a recall. These were 5 spoke 17 X 7 chrome wheels.
  • norrmanndonorrmanndo Member Posts: 81
    I haven't had any problems with my low profile 17" tires, but I know that pot holes etc. can bend them. My friend has a Saab with similar 17" rims. The first time a rim was bent he bought a new one, then it happened again so he found a place that could straighten them. He now keeps his spare rim and has straightened rims 4 times. Straighten rim ~ $90, buy new mag wheel ~ $250. I try to be careful with low profile wheels.
    Important that tire pressure be kept up too. 38 psi for PT GT
  • captainrbcaptainrb Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 PT Limited with chrome wheels. The chrome has peeled off between the spokes and is starting to come off on the face of each wheel. The dealer was ready to replace the wheels under warranty, but DC would not authorize since they won't cover any defect that doesn't readily show on the face of the wheel!
    The dealer can't believe it and either can I. Calls to DC customer service say it is up to the regional rep, and they can't get involved. Anybody have a similar situation with DC? I would certainly not buy another Chrysler product if this is their attitude.
    You say the chrome is already starting to come off on the face of the wheel. Has the rep seen the wheel?

I can understand DC wanting the rep to see the wheel and letting their own rep decide if there is a defect. Customer service should have put you in touch with the rep if the dealer isn't allowed to determine if a particular part is defective.

I've found DC to be okay with respect to warranty claims so far, but I'm in SoCal.
    Thanks for your reply. The rep did not see the wheel. but rather dismissed it as "corporate policy" on warranty not to cover peeling when it is not directly on the face of the wheel. However, you can see the peeling as plain as day when you look at the car, since the spokes are so wide apart. The chrome is coming off in thin sheets that stick out like sore thumbs! The peeling is now starting on the surface, so maybe they will be a little more understanding. The dealer can't believe DC's position either on the wheels. Makes you want to run out and by another DC product, doesn't it?
    Sometimes it makes one wonder where companies find reps. However, considering how rare it is for a wheel to peel and that the rep's job is to make sure the company isn't spending on non warranty claims it is understandable there would be a general no until the wheel is seen. Apparently there is little trust between DC and dealers when it comes to warranty claims. My dealer would not make even minor warranty repairs without DC approval first. The difference was the approval was obtained quickly with no hassle.

I think you will find the same problem with virtually any brand. That is, the rep is not on your side and getting unusual warranty claims approved is a hassle.

I heard automobile arbitration cases for 15 years and I had a number of cases where it was clear the rep had not observed the problem even though it was an obvious defect. It is hard to miss a car going forward when put into reverse or a folding rear seat that does not lock in place - unless, as in your case, it wasn't looked at.

You might consider finding out where you can send a digital picture of the wheel so the rep can see it (or find out when the rep will be at a dealer near you and show it).
    Thanks again for your concern. This is not just one wheel, but all four wheels on an otherwise pristine PT Cruiser. This is an obvious problem that the dealer tells me they saw on several Prowlers as well, and DC covered them under warranty. I guess the PT is just too inexpensive for them to give the same consideration to.
  • btrflybtrfly Member Posts: 21
    I'm considering this car but read about problems with the tires, batteries, etc and am concerned aobut how hard the engine stuff is to get to so is it really a good car to get for LOW maintenance? I like how it rides but dont' want to spend a lot of time and money on maintenance...
    PTs seem reliable. At club meetings it is very rare to hear that anyone has had a problem. Keep in mind that when you read about a problem on a forum it represents the poster and not everyone.

My Cruiser was assembled better than my Acura and my Toyota. During the first two years (my Cruiser is just over two years old) it has needed less dealer attention than my Acura or Toyota did during their first two years.

Yes, the engine bay is tight on a Cruiser, but except for spark plugs all normal maintenance items are easy enough to reach or replace. Oil changes are also very easy. The spark plugs are actually easier to replace than the ones on my current and previous Toyota. Much easier than the Jaguar the PT replaced. The PT spark plugs are deep and on some models it is easier to remove the intake manifold top to get to the plugs (just a few bolts).

In short, I feel our PT is not hard to work on and so far has needed only easy DIY oil changes.

The OE tires on the non turbo models seem to last and I have not heard complaints. The turbo models have different tires and these don't last, have substandard wet traction, and tend to cup.

All isn't rosy about owning a Cruiser though. For its size the turning circle is large (one gets used to it), the fuel economy is a little less than some similar size cars (but those are not as versatile or as easy to get in and out), and resale value isn't great.

We love our PT. It is fun to drive, comfortable, very easy to get in and out, holds bigger objects than my much larger SUV, and is still tight and rattle free (something I can't say about my Acura).
  • ctujackbauerctujackbauer Member Posts: 18
    I have an '03, and I have no mechanical problems in the roughly 2 years that I have owned it. I do have tape marks on my bumpers, but that's about my only complaint.

I knew from test driving the turn radius was bad, and I knew gas mileage is relatively low. But I've used my PT to transport bikes, wheelchairs, TVs, Barbecques (yes an entire barbecque), all sorts of things.

I haven't done any mods, I bought mine for quality and the flexible cargo area. Chrysler has succeeded in those two areas, in my opinion. Plus, now they're even cheaper than the 15,300 I paid, you can get a PT for probably 12 to 13,000. I think its a steal.
  • ptdelimaptdelima Member Posts: 1
    I have been so happy with my 2001 PT crusier purchased in May 2001. About four months ago I experienced the engine dying while at idle (example: turning into a parking space). It restarts after a few cranks. This was at about 27,500 miles. Now it can die at an intersection and will take a moment or two to restart.

I thought once it was the transmission. The local dealer said the computer was improper (ha ha) and it has been worse since they "fixed" the problem. It seems to be after it is driven hard at 75 mph on the highway that the next day I will have this problem.

My wife's 1995 Voyager experiences the very same symptons. Is this something peculiar to Chrysler?

I asked that they clean the throttle bottle ($50) and that that didn't help. The local dealer (Lafayette, LA) claims the computer was improperly set but it has been worse since they tinkered with the "set". Anyone have a suggestion. It is not serious but is becoming annoying. YOu can be driving at 50 and it acts like it is going to die, bucking once or twice, but then it continues for several hundred miles as if nothing happened.
  • obliooblio Member Posts: 1
    I lease a 2002 model and have been very happy with in general. The lousy gas mileage is my one complaint, but primarily do local driving. While driving about 65 on a highway, speeding up a bit to pass another car, I heard an incredibly loud shot-like noise and a brilliant flash out of the corner of my right eye. I turned my head to see the entire window crackling and imploding. Frightening while driving so fast and being in the middle of three lanes. I found no foreign objects inside the car, several scratches on the exterior of the door, but I attribute that to glass shards scraping as they flew off. I was going over a large 6 lane expansion bridge. It tends to be windy, but today wind was low. I saw no item flying towards the car. Literally the entire window was in tiny pieces all over the passenger seat, floor, dash, and into the back seat. The glass didn't fly any further. Good thing I didn't have a passenger. The police suggested it looked like a manufacturer's defect. Not covered by warranty of course....the dealership said they had never seen anything like it.

All and all a frightening experience that could have been alot worse. Glad the glass is safety glass! Anyone else had a similar problem?
    Glad you were not hurt!

Not in a car, but have had similar happening with tempered glass in the house (shatter for no apparent reason).
  • car2starcar2star Member Posts: 5
    My new 2004 PT Base model only has 200 miles on it. At 18 and 45 mph the front end vibrates in floor (no steering wheel shake). Dealer has rotated and balanced the tires, slightly better, but still there. I wonder if it is tires or tranny. Anyone have this problem? Thanks.
  • car2starcar2star Member Posts: 5
    This happened to me once on my 1988 Plymouth Voyager. The car was sitting in the garage and we heard exploding glass. There was no apparent reason for contact of any kind. Perhaps it is due to temperature changes and weak glass. It sure was a mess to clean up!
  • bagsbags Member Posts: 12
    I have an 03 base model (5 speed) and I had the vibrating thing at 65 - 70 mph. But it wasn't constant. It would come on for 4 or 5 seconds, go away for 5 - 10 seconds, return again, and repeat like that. When I had the tires rotated most of it went away, but I still feel a little bit of it. My guess is that the tires are the culprits, at least in my situation.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    When owners refer to poor gas mileage, just what mpg is that? A co-worker said she gets 16 mpg in town driving. It seems to be a nice car, and very comfortable. However, she said it drinks gas like her husband's pickup (hers is a 2001 Limited w/auto).
    Poor mpg for one person may be good mpg for another person. Cruisers are small cars on the outside and one would think they would get outstanding mpg. They are heavy for their size however. My Cruiser weighs about the same as my much larger Avalon and the Cruiser probably has more wind drag at high speeds.

My Avalon gets similar mpg around town, but much better on the highway. My PT is a GT (high output turbo) and I found the non turbo Cruiser I rented got a little better mpg than my Cruiser.

My MDX weighs 1000 pounds more than my Cruiser and gets about one mpg less on average.

We really like our Cruiser. It is a blast to drive, very versatile, and amazingly easy to enter and exit. It has been trouble free (one problem corrected under warranty with free loaner car during the overnight at the dealer). However, with gasoline prices now at $2.70 per gallon around here my next vehicle purchase will have mpg at the top of the list. Our overall average for the last 2 years has been about 18 mpg, with the best tank of all freeway driving at 25. Not good enough today.
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    I got my PT cruiser December of '01. Its my Company car and have enjoyed the car with the exception of the automatic tranmission.

At 38,000 miles the transmission failed. Imagine the suprise on my face when the Chrysler dealer stated I was out of warranty!!!(Fleet acquired vehicles dont get the 70,000 mile warranty rather they get 36,000 miles). After much deliberating with Chrysler they did the right thing and rebuild the tranny at no charge.

At 73,000 miles guess what?? It failed again! This time to the tune of $2200!!!!

Another Engineer at work has the identical PT(same year) and his tranny went at 30,000 and then again at 60,000!!!!

Love the PT and still recommend them except I suggest people go for the manual transmission as Chrsyler Automatics are junk!

Craig
    '02 PT Cruiser
This discussion has been closed.