Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Golf R32

Comments

• walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Yeah, I saw this blue Volkswagen R32 in LA Auto Show. The seats are very comfortable and has the European style driving design. What captures me the most is that the Volkswagen R32 is attracted to 16-29 year old males. Majority of the time, I only see young white guys around the R32. Not many older people or any other ethnicity likes it.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    The R32 is designed for european tastes and roads. 0-60 in 6.6 is probably accurate because the R32 is geared for high speed cruising, it can easily do 150 mph all day on the autobahn. There is talk that VW may change the final drive gear ratio for U.S. R32's for better 0-60 times. Personally if I want my R32 to go faster I'd spend $4k and put a supercharger in it. There are several aftermarket companies that are developing easy bolt on superchargers for the R32 - A stage one Z engineering supercharger will bring the R32 to about 300 HP with only 6 psi of boost - so it will be engine friendly.
    Z engineering is one company that will have a supercharger for the R32, it's due out in April.

As far as comparisons to WRX, etc - The R32 is coming over fully loaded - Xenon's, auto climate control, rain sensing wipers, sunroof, leather, etc., etc. standard - most things you can't get on the Japanese competition even as an option. The R32 will have it's own little niche in the U.S. market, a luxury all wheel drive high performance euro hot-hatch. It may not be the fastest in stock form but I doubt many R32 buyers will really care, 0-60 in 6.6 in Euro specification is hardly slow. There's always the aftermarket to make it as fast as you want - like the large number of WRX owners do with their cars, stock is rarely good enough for anyone anymore.
  • idletaskidletask Member Posts: 171
    62.137119... exactly. Chop off one or two tens for 0-60...
  • o2h2oo2h2o Member Posts: 10
    When I heard of a more powerful AWD Golf coming to the states (finally) I was happier than a pig in s..t!

Now, when I look at all the new and much more powerful cars coming out, with much better style, I ask myself "do I want to spend 30k$ on a golf???" >>> The answer took about a month to realize, and the answer is hell no! The body style is pretty much lagging in time, even if it is dressed up with some ground effects and new badges, wow...

Now, if the Golf V looks better and has more style, then maybe I will buy another golf, until then, not gonna happen! I already own a 97 Golf VR6 and a 2002 Golf TDI (opposites end of the spectrum, huh??)...

So, what is my message to VW? Bring us some Golf's that have some modern technology/style incorporated into their vehicles, so people wouldn't stereotype the car to just the 19-29yr old white male population.

I guess I would like to have a Golf with the option of a 2 or 4 door, with DSG, and one that will turn the heads of ladies, not just young white males. Also, gotta make a Golf that will do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds!

PS: The front seats need a better way to recline. Turning that dumb-[non-permissible content removed] thing is pretty ridiculous and very annoying...
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    it is a "Q-ship" or "sleeper." It is understated by design so that a driver may better sneak up on unsuspecting sports car drivers, like BMW 325er's for example, and dust them.

If you don't care too much about AWD just buy a GTI 1.8t and then add:

- a programmable APR chip
    - a rear sway bar
    - upgraded struts/springs
    - a few interior/exterior bits from Euro GTIs and Audi TT's

End result is a fast, agile and still practical hatchback with a beautiful interior for less than 22k.

I just checked out the Euro mag "Car." They had a camparo of the R32 vs. the Alfa 147(?) vs. Ford Focus RS. The R32 held its own very well as was preferred other the others in several of the driving conditions it was tested under.

Of course you could get an EVO, WRX, or wait for the next Golf R32 in VW's fifth platform iteration coming in the next couple of years.....
    What I like most about the R32 is that it's not a boy-racer look at me WRX or Lancer EVO with huge rear wing etc. I don't think that the R32 only appeals to 19 to 29 year old white males. It appeals to anyone wanting a stealthy high performance sports car with a lot of luxury and utility thrown in. Exactly what I was looking for when I got my 02 turbo GTI.

I think $30k is a bargain for an AWD 240 HP sports car with leather, climatronic, rain sensing wipers, sunroof, Xenons, 18" wheels, tuned suspension etc.. About the only thing it compares to is a 330 BMW with a sports package which would be mid $40k's equipped like an R32 - not to mention the Beemer has 15 less HP and nothing near the utility of a rear hatch. An A4 3.0 Quattro wagon would be another comparable car- not a small nimble car and north of $35k similarly equipped.

VW will have no trouble selling all the R32's they bring over here.

Waiting for a Golf V is always an option for some people, the Golf IV is a classic hatchback design that I think will age well.
  • trumphhooligantrumphhooligan Member Posts: 1
    $100 to be first on the list...and guaranteed to pay full sticker! For me, though, the benefits of a naturally-aspirated, large 6-cyl vastly outweigh a boosted four in terms of engine longevity and real-world power...no waiting 'till 5 grand for big power to kick in. My only worries: buying a first model-year vehicle...my luck hasn't been so great.
  • robync_03110robync_03110 Member Posts: 3
    The pictures from the link in this discussion look great! I always get excited when I see all these newly launched AWD, 18" wheel vehicles...especially being single (no need for wagon or SUV) and living in the Northeast (slippery roads). I will definitely take this one for a test drive come summer.

Hey, I don't see reports of the MPG yet. Any guesses?
    I doubt R32 MPG is much different than a VR6 Golf - I bet it will depend on how you drive it.
    trumphhooligan

You wont be dissapointed with the R32 in any way! It's coming direct from Germany, not a 3rd world country, and I'm not talking about Canada.

You will dust the turbo 1.8 guaranteed! That will be nice to see :)

Also, the AWD will be "very" useful when accelerating on slippery ground...!

Best of luck!

J. Milch
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    suck, just like the current VR6. I currently get around 21-23. On the highway, I once got 28 (that's calculated by gallons used divided by miles driven -- the onboard computer is consistently 1-3 MPG optimistic).
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I like VWs, always have, but I think a Golf (no matter the iteration) will be a tough sale in the US Market beyond VW enthusiasts.

At $28-32k, they will be competing with many nice cars that can do what the VW does in many ways, with subtle differences:

Nissan 350Z
    Infiniti G35 Coupe and Sedan
    Mazda RX8
    Subaru WRX (STi?)
    Mitsu Evo
    2004 Mustangs - the new All-American Sport Car
    Acura RSX-S
    Mercedes Benz C230 Hatch (under cutting a VW by $4k? Less engine, more MB)
    BMW 325 - Sure it is stock w/o options, but still a BMW
    Saab 9-3 (cheaper by a min of $3k to start?)
    Dodge Neon SRT-4 (215 hp at $20k, it isn't direct competition, but a reason to think that a $30k Golf is kinda silly)
    Mini Cooper S
    Lexus IS300 (if price is the same, what makes more sense? for an everyday driver?)

All that, and we haven't even considered most of the lesser cars that are more sedate, but also less expensive...that makes for a lot of competition for a spec Golf.

I think selling 5-10k models shouldn't be too tough, that is about 20-30 cars per dealer, IIRC, for the year. But the R32 is more of an oddity than a market shaker.

Still, I would love to see the car in person, drive it and let the games begin.

At $30k, the market is just too chuck full of alternate choices that either save money or offer something the VW Golf doesn't - mass-market appeal in the US.

A hot-body Jetta would have been a better sale in the US, since Jettas outsell Golfs here like 4 to 1, if not more.
    I've thought the same - there are lots of cars in this price range to consider. The R32 is unique in that it has a usable hatchback, AWD etc.

Another thing to consider is the Golf V will be here about a year after the R32 debuts. The V is supposed to have this same drivetrain configuration as the R32 available.

I'm on a waiting list for the R32, my $1k deposit is fully refundable so if I don't decide I want one...

The one car on your list of comparables that I'm really interested in is the Mercedes C230k except in the sedan version - Mercedes just came out with the Kompressor engine in the C sedan with a 6 speed - I've driven 2 of them and I'm totally impressed - they start at $27k - it comes standard with 17" wheels and sport suspension.
    For me, it is mostly just talk. As much as I might like to, without a significant promotion, I am not in the $30k car market. I am considering a year-end sales event purchase of a discounted Volvo V40, or a VW Passat Wagon. Something in the $21-22k range...maybe even a Subaru Legacy, if the price is right.

They fall a sight short of the fun factor, but get a few extras in the utility category for me. My current BMW 318ti is fun, but a bit too small for me and I can't afford the 325ix Sportwagon nor the Audi A4 Avant (silly Audi forcing all Avant buyers to get quattro).

If you like the MB, you might want to watch them close as the YE approaches in October. Last year I almost bit at a C230 Hatch with a $4000 rebate. That's gotta kill resale a bit, but I want to hold my next car for 8-10 years and buy a fun second car after car #1 is paid for...maybe a convert or something.

I would love to be able to justify a R32, but anything over $25k is just not real for me, and I highly doubt that VW can bring it here at that price.

One last thing, I am still waiting (hoping to know more by YE) to find out about BMW's 1-series. If it is worth it, I might just hold onto the TI for another year and take Euro Delivery on a 1-series. Always been a dream of mine.

Just think, if BMW brings the 1-series here, it should be around the 160-170 hp range at prices in line with a Jetta and I4 Passat(high side). Rumor has them also launching an M-series with a turbo4 pressing 220+ hp. I figure that one runs the $32-35k range...out of my ballpark, but might be in yours.

Isn't window shopping fun?
    until they started making them on this side of the ocean. I like the Jetta, but poor builds seem to be a little too common. I would have liked a Golf (having started my driving career with a Rabbit), but only if it was German-built. Now, the only VW I will consider for my long-term green is the Passat, still built in Germany (like the R32)...
    I have a Brazilian built 02 GTI that is well made, nicely put together and dependable. Fit,finish and build quality is fantasitc. I doubt anyone could tell a build quality difference between a German made Golf and a Bazilian one or a Mexican Jetta for that matter. VW builds the same quality car no matter where it's put together. The problems with Jetta's and GTI's are with a couple of the parts that VW suppliers build which aren't sourced in Mexico or Brazil - the window regulators and coil packs. VW finally redesigned the window regulators (and extended the warranty to 7 years on them) and is still struggling with the coil packs - the worst one's were made by Bosch - in Germany. I haven't had either problem with my 1.8t GTI, but expect I will at some point - in any case I won't blame the Brazilians that built it.
    You are right, I don't have all (or any) of the facts. I just have read a few too many horror stories regarding Jettas.

I still think that Hanz and Franz might be a little more proud of their work. Anyhow, I hear the 1.8T motor is hungarian built to begin with...its a global economy.

I do know that early builds in Brazil and Mexico were nothing to brag about...guess old stereotypes die hard.

I apologize if I offended.
    Pure and simple, I'm gonna wait another year for the newer and nicer Golf V body style that will have all the same goodies of the R32 available and then some!

I don't see myself dropping a whole lot of money on a body style that will be discontinued that same year.

It's pretty sad how we'll be just getting the R32, while the Golf V's will be sold in Europe at the same time!

Doesn't that really suck?!
  • gsgman69gsgman69 Member Posts: 75
    Acutally my window sticker says that my 2002 GTI's 1.8t motor was built in Germany while the tranny is from Argentina. Parts content was 50% Brazil, 40% German, 2% North American, and leftover 8% is in the "not required to be listed" category.

The only Hungarian-built car I know of from VAG that is sold in the U.S. is the Audi TT.
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    if fun and utility are what you're looking for you should try shopping for an '03 Subaru WRX wagon. You could probably get into one for dealer invoice right now as they are trying to make room for the new '04's coming in a couple of months.

-Ian
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    I agree with the line of thinking above – VW could sell a less expensive and more utilitarian car than the R32 in much larger numbers. However, the R32 was there to be exported and they probably figured at this price, even if it takes away from other VW/Audi sales, they will still be making a lot of money.

My choice for a more utilitarian but still ‘sporty’ car that is missing in the US lineup is the AWD Jetta wagon. The Jetta wagon has over 1” more clearance than the Golf, and probably over 2” more than the R32 – so it is also a great option in snow country. They could sell a beefed-up turbo with 200-225hp instead of the VR6 to keep the price down and fuel consumption low. A somewhat sporty AWD wagon – if priced right, i.e., well below the A4 and Passat AWD wagons - would take tons of sales away from Subaru. As a consequence, VW/Audi could stop worrying about such models taking sales away from the A4. And follow Subaru (or the special edition Golfs) on this model: keep the options simple. E.g., make leatherette, cold package and CD standard.

I have stated this here before, I am worried about the low clearance of the A4, and thus will probably purchase a turbo Forester since the AWD Jetta Wagon is not available in the US.

By the way, Bremi, not Bosch, made the failing coil packs.

- D
  • geoffdgtigeoffdgti Member Posts: 83
    harlequin1971 writes:
    still think that Hanz and Franz might be a little more proud of their work. Anyhow, I hear the 1.8T motor is hungarian built to begin with...its a global economy.

I have the same results with my GTI as gsgman. Hanz and Franz built the 1.8T in my Brazilian-origin GTI. The sticker on the window says the engine came from Germany and the transmission came from Argentina. At 40,000+ miles, I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be the first car where I don't make my money back on the 100K mile extended warranty. I suppose I'll be getting new coil packs soon but the only things the dealer's done to the car were a to replace a leaking turbo oil line and a temperature sensor at the free 20,000 mile service.

I'd consider replacing my GTI with an AWD GTI since I drive in snow all the time. I ainna gonna pay $30,000 for an AWD econobox no matter how much horsepower it has. I paid $18K and change for mine. The AWD and engine are worth another ~$4K to me. I don't want no steeenkeng leather seats since it's a cold weather car. Heated cloth, pleeeze. I also wonder if my 15" steel wheels with high tech snow tires will fit with those big brakes.
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    The R32 is a cool idea, but for the same price an sti or evo is much more appealing. VW will be lucky if they sell 5,000 units. It is a nice looking car, and that is one thing the r32 has over the sti and evo.
    The STI and EVO are good comparisons to the R32. The EVO and R32 are very similar price wise, the STI is supposed to be a few thousand more - but it also comes with 300 HP. The STI seems much improved over the WRX in a lot of areas besides performance. I like the restyle and changes to the interior in the STI. Not a fan of the EVO at all.

I may wait for the Golf V version of the R32 as the V is supposed to have significant improvements over the current IV platform. I'm very much on the fence as far as the R32 goes.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Geoff,

$1,500 is all you should be paying extra for that US AWD Golf or Jetta. Unfortunately, despite of all my success in forecasting the US and European minivan and SUV crazes, VW/Audi still has not made any attempts to hire me as a US future sentiment consultant.

I guess the corporate hierarchy still prevents real -time marketing progress.

Later,

- D
    I'd have paid $1,500 for AWD on my 02 GTI 1.8t in a heartbeat. I've always wished VW would make AWD a stand alone option like Audi does with Quattro. I live in the sunbelt so don't have a weather related need for it - I've tweaked my 1.8t GTI to 235 HP/ 240 lb ft of torque and could use the traction. In fact I'd much prefer my 1.8t GTI with AWD over an R32....
  • european_speedeuropean_speed Member Posts: 1
    I think that if VW does release the R32 28k it'll be very reasonable.

There are not very many cars out there that sell for under $30,000 that offer what this R32 "supposedly" will offer. Like 240 HP (for some reason I remember it being 231 HP, but that's just me), Climate control, Xenon head lamps and sport tuned suspension along with the great looking 18 inch rims...

And if you do compare a subaru to an R32, well they're two totally different cars.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    The rumors on vwvortex all seem to be closer to $30k if not above.
    I read on Vortex that it will be less than $30k

No matter, I'm waiting for the Mk V Golf or Audi A3 (rumored to be coming to the U.S.). The Mk V is not that far off - a little over a year away for a significantly improved platform. I have an 02 turbo GTI that will do me until then.
  • jayebassjayebass Member Posts: 1
    The best reason for buying the R32 will be the transmission. Car and Driver just did a preview test of the new TT 3.2 with a 6-speed semi-automatic (cogs + two "wet" clutches...go read about it...supposedly upshifts in .03 seconds). They are claiming this transmission will be in the R32 when it debuts in the US this fall. You'll be able to drive the R32 like a shifter kart...left foot brake and full throttle upshifts.
    We're going to see that DSG transmission in a lot of VW's in the coming years - including diesels.
  • tasillotasillo Member Posts: 51
    I've owned multiple VW's including 2 VR6 GTI's and am quite interested in the R32, but with a reservation. Reluctantly I traded my '00 GTI VR6 for a used BMW for one reason, the dealers in my area are poor overall, at best.

Atlanta has several VW dealers but the largest (and closest to my home/work until last month) is Jim Ellis. Their service capacity is not close to the need for the area. Appointment's a week in advance for an oil change, then leave the car for a day? Absurd! Dwight Harrison in Snellville was more accomodating but it's 35 miles from my house, not feasable. As VW continues to drive upmarket with great product (Touraeg, R32, Phaeton, W8) it's going to be more difficult to please the client who spends Lexus $$$ and receives economy car service.

Perhaps my experiences are isolated and I'm sure I'll look and drive the R32, but an upgrade from the dealer perspective will be a must.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    The local VW dealerships in my area are expanding the service facilities at several locations. I think they are anticipating the higher demands of owners who are willing to part with >$40k for a vehicle. I have had good luck getting my Passat in for service with minimal delays to get the appointment and turn around service in about 4 to 6 hours. They even provide a shuttle service in the morning to drop you off at your office.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Here's a direct link to 2004 Volkswagen Golf R32 information from Edmunds' Future Vehicles section. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • zhdzhd Member Posts: 18
    Excuse me, Mr. Host,

You have not updated the R32 site for ... the whole year. Dealers said the car would be in the showroom in a couple of months. I hope edmunds could provide more info about this car. Thanks.
    I've come to a few conclusions about the R32...

Well, I'm kinda upset that VW only popped in a revamped VR6, which added less than 40HP. What about the added weight of the AWD system? A decent amount of power will have to be sacrificed to that added weight. No...???

As for the price. I'm pretty sure you will see a sticker price of at least $30K. Now ask yourself, is that really worth it for a 2 door "Golf???" I used to consider myself a VW enthusiast, now I see myself more of a VW critic.

Anyway...

What about the manufactures who went out lately to produce cars that really kick some but??? You have the Evo's and the Sti's that beat the Golf in both performance and style (at least on the outside). I don't know about you guys, but to have a car that costs a fraction of the price of a Vette/M3/Cobra/etc.. and to be able to give them a serious challenge, it's pretty frigg'n damn impressive to me!!! The R32's will have to hang with the camry's and the accord's while the bad boys roll on by : )

I dunno people, I think I would like to see the engineers of VW get off their lazy asses and produce DE made automobiles that have much more style (again, at least on the exterior) and performance (a more powerful V-6). It seems to me that many automobile manufacturers today are all out on this HP war! No..., HP does not mean an RS6 at $85K, it can mean $30K @ 300+ HP, just re-engineer your damn motors, not just simply (using the term kinda loosly) boring out your VR6's...WTF???

I guess this is just some food for thought. Maybe you guys who've placed your deposits for this car should really re-think your decission.

Don't get me totally wrong, I love the car, but only if it were introduced like 2+ years ago. I could then enjoy it's style for at least a couple of years, so I wouldn't feel so jipped/stupid knowing that I bought a car that basically was discontinued the same year in Europe.

John
  • drbilljdrbillj Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have reliable information regarding the R32 in America? It seems to be as illusive as WMD in Iraq!

My order, with deposit, is 8 months old.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Just today I was told as early as October. But, they suspect as late as December.

There is no way a dealer will get one anytime this month, unless he gets an autoshow demo or something of that nature.

I know for a fact that dealers know at least a month in advance when a car is on the way to them, and 3 dealers here in Jacksonville, FL have nothing on their list for almost the next 2 months! They don't even have a clue as to the pricing of the vehicle as of yet, so what does that tell you.

Nov-Dec is much more realistic. My guess would be December. Don't expect the car any sooner : (
  • samdamansamdaman Member Posts: 5
    When I bought my '03 GTI 1.8t, the salesperson and I spoke of the R32. He told me it was a quality car, but way too expensive and heavy. He said it basically boiled down to one question... Would you pay $6k more for Audi's Quatro system on a GTI VR6? (Although there are some engine and suspension improvements.) Personally, I'm gonna wait for the MKV Golf/GTI.
  • vwmanjimbvwmanjimb Member Posts: 28
    Being told December.
  • diablo427diablo427 Member Posts: 3
    Just this week a Central NJ dealer told me around Dec 03-Jan 04 is realistic.

I was hoping for Sep 03!
  • 55onthelist55onthelist Member Posts: 2
    I recently took a trip to Mexico and I discovered that they started selling the R32 back in April-May. I inquired about the price and it was not under $30k, the price to pay to get your hands on one of the 30 pocket rockets only shipped to Mexico is a whopping $38,136.00 Dollars.
    Kinda makes you wonder what the asking price is going to be out here in the U.S.
    Wonder if 55onthelist meant the very limited availability drove the price to over $38K, or was the US conversion on the sticker over $38K. I'm reading about US sticker of about $28K, but NJ dealers are already making noises about getting $5000 over sticker. Not sure I'm willing to pay Audi TT prices for a VW.
    There is no way the R32 will command a $5k over sticker premium.

I started this thread a long time ago and am no longer remotely interested in an R32. Especially now that the vastly improved Mk V Golf is out in Europe.

Anyway I bought an STi about 4 months ago and couldn't be happier with my choice.
  • drbilljdrbillj Member Posts: 2
    My dealer is now hinting early Spring (March-April). Is there an official word somewhere?
    I cannot imagine what VW is thinking. As shown in these recent messages, they are already losing sales to the other obvious competitors (Subaru, Mitsubishi). Further delays bump the fourth-generation platform right up against the transition to the fifth generation Golf (unless, of course, they push that arrival back, too). All that notwithstanding the loss of sales of an AWD vehicle during the winter weather...??? As it is, I'm half convinced to say the heck with it and go buy an RX-8 (tons of them available in NJ with almost any configuration of colors & options.) And still not a word on the official VW website. If it weren't for forums like this one, we wouldn't even know the R32 exists.
  • f1d094f1d094 Member Posts: 1
    I just spoke to my local VW dealer and he is telling me that they will start rolling in shortly after the 1st...or at least that is what he has been told.

As for the comments regarding the STI and Accord, I couldn't agree more. The STI is faster and the R32 will be rolling with the Accords....which is fine with me. An accord with a 0-60 of 6.5 secs and 4 wheel drive sounds pretty sweet.

Don't get me wrong, the EVOs and STIs are hot rides, but they are also noisy, have poor fit and finish, and are pretty spartan with regard to creature comforts.

If I want to go for a weekend ride through the box canyons of AZ, I'll take my 10sec '78 Z and blow *all* your doors off.

Cheers.
  • quickvr6quickvr6 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 1996 GTI VR6 and I am quite happy with it. The design of the car for this generation is nice, but when redesigned in 99 I was dissapointed a bit. The car looks like mine with a round bodykit. Overall though the new GTI 1.8T is a good value.
       When I first heard/read about the new performance Golf I was excited. It was a brief article saying how it would have all-wheel drive and have a more powerfull engine and sportscar handling. As time went by I found out more information on this R32, this is when the dissapointment came in. The interior of the car is great:recaro seats,etc. The exterior of the car also looks great including the awesome multi-spoke wheels. The idea of the car having all-wheel drive was still appealing to me, figuring it would be like the systems on Audis. When I read about the 3.2 six cylinder engine and the power output, I was thinking what are you guys thinking.
       I don't know how this car is going to compete. Sales are only going to come from people who are diehard enthusaist or people who dont mind spending 30k on an underpowered performance hatch. Unless that was VW's intentions. When I pictured this car I figured it would be 300hp or close to 300hp like the Evo or the WRX STi.I Thought the engine would be a four cylinder turbo or a six cylinder turbo like the 2.7L bi-turbo engine in the previous S4s(which id take over the R32). Think of how many more they could sell, not that I care how many people drive them. Dont companies want to compete and make money(subaru making the Sti to compete with the Evo)? Im sure many have asked the same question.
      Dont get me wrong, i think the car is cool. Im sure it will handle well and is a well built car, just not worth 30 or closed to 30K. Id think of owning one if it was redisigned(the golf is due for a redesign), if the car was turbo with alot more horsepower like a performance car should have and if it was made in Germany.
This discussion has been closed.