Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sorentomansorentoman Member Posts: 3
    Been lurking here for sometime but this discussion made me jump in. I have a LX 4wd so no TOD but I get the same thumping after letting off the brakes. No ABS. It seems like it happens when you have to get on the brakes a little harder.

I also have the vibration between 65 & 70 mph which feels like its in the driveline to me. I had the car into the shop twice and they've aligned and balanced/rotated tires but so far the problem remains.

My dealer has been good but so far of little help. I'm hoping this forum can help track down the real solution to these issues.
  • jmeadorjmeador Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Sorento EX w/Lux package,TOD,ABS, etc. I have the same "thump" when releasing the brake, before acceleration. I'm taking in to dealer Mon. I printed the messages that reference "thump" & will show to dealer service rep. No other problems; it' s great Truck SUV so far; they should work on gas milage tho'.
  • ivygrnsorentoivygrnsorento Member Posts: 119
    sorentoman..
    ...hello. Well, like you I have been apprehensive to jump into this "thumping" sound/feeling issue for sometime. I have a Sorento EX 4X4. I do not have the TOD. Some here have commented that the issues only involve the TOD, which I disagree with. I have found that sometimes I get the thumping noise when I start from a stop.....but I have found that I only get the thumping when I have come to an abrupt stop before from a higher rate of speed. When I come to a smooth more contorlled and conservative stop, I never have the thumping sensation.

Personally, this is what I think is happening. When you come to a quick harsher stop, driveline compression occurs. Simply meaning that when a vehicle comes to a stop, certain forces occure. The front brakes are doing much of the work, thus you get a lot of vehicle weight transfer to the front wheels. Thus the rearend of the vehicle rises a bit...especially in a larger heavier vehicle that sits high, hence the Sorento. As the the vehicle comes to a stop the wieght transfer then slightly retransfers to the back for just a second as the vehicle settles and chassis flex compresses. So as you take your foot off the brakes to leave from a stoplight, all those forces in the driveline now sorta relax and then immediatly tighten again as the wieght and drive forces move to the rear of the vehicle releasing a thud/thumping sensation. When you come to a nice smooth stop, these forces dont exist as much, thus, no thud/thumping sensation.

Regarding the vibration. I had a slight vibration in my Sorento after about 7500 miles. After many trips to the Kia service department to have the issues fixed, it only got worse. To the point where I could feel the vibration through the floorboards and brake pedal. Well, it turns out that my problem was over torqued lug nuts on all four wheels. By over torqueing the lugnuts, the brake rotors became warped, and only got worse the more times the wheels were removed, rebalanced or rotated and the retorqued. Needless to say, Kia replaced all four brake rotors, brake pad, and a new set of wheels. This took care of the problem! NO vibrations at all, and the vehicle comes to a with not vibrations at all. Just nice and smooth, just the way its suppose to. I have since started using a different Kia dealership with a much better service department that is aware of the over torquing issues with the Sorento.

I would also check for underbody rust protectent that is applied by the dealership. Sometimes care is not taken and they apply that crap to the driveline causing it to be out of balance.

And for what its worth, my Sorento now has over 31,000 miles on it. And the brake issue and a minor airbag sensor gone bad have been the only problems.

Hope some of this information is helpful.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Well I'm glad to notice more owners posting on the thumping issue. Ivygrnsorento, at first the only ones having this thumping feeling and posting were those that had the EX w/lux pkg but now it seems that more owners are posting about the problem. Thats why these forums are great. So it seems that we seem to agree on one thing that it usually happens after an abrupt stop and then when you start off there is the thump feeling. You may be on the right track thinking that it is the rear brakes releasing. Now are most of the thumping occuring on the Sorento's with ABS. Maybe there is a lag or something in the ABS contoller that prevents the brakes from releasing thus casuding the thump or rear shudder.

About the vibration at certain speeds it was mentioned in another forum that the owners Sorento had undercoating on the drive axels and after having it removed by the dealer the vibration was gone.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    i thought the Sorento was a pretty decent car, but WOW!! look at all the problems, that really changed my mind..

one problem that I heard of the new Sorento: since the leather is of poorer, cheaper quality, it rips easier...is this true??
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I don't remember if I have the thump feeling when I first picked up my Sorento EX, 4WD with TOD and ABS last December. I started this observation since it was in spring. It was only hciaffa and me had few posts about this issue. I remember he compared this issue with his Ford Ranger. This topic was disappeared for a while. We still don't know if this is a problem. But my first AWD experience tells me different store. It was a '98 GMC Safari AWD (RWD most of the time) with ABS. I don't remember there was any thumping at rear wheels as I did a lot of hard braking on this company's van.

rctennis3811 - A $45K SUV (Infinti FX45) doesn't mean trouble free. Just look at the NHTSA site and you will find several recalls and TSBs on both '03 and '04 models.
    I don't think that there have been as many problems as you think. For a first year vehicle in the states 2nd year in Europe the problem issue has been quite small. I don't consider the rear thumping as a problem. I believe as many that its a brake problem in that the rear disk's seem to release later than the fronts. I have had only one problem in one year of ownership. The power window door lock console was replaced because the passenger side window would not operate. Compared to my Subaru Forester ( a big POS)which was in the shop at least once a month for 2yrs and never qualified for the lemon law my Sorento is a dream. I feel more secure in it than the Forester and I love to drive it. As far as problems I have yet to know of any vehicle that dosen't have kind of hitch or something go wrong. Just check the other boards and you will see. Just my 2 cents.
  • dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    I echo what lok & hc are saying. I've had my 4x4 EX since April and have over 11,000 miles on it with ZERO problems. Yes I have the thumping on my brakes also but I consider that more of an possible Sorento characteristic then a problem. It hasn't affected the Sorento's performance one bit. As for the leather seems fine to me. No rips, tears or errors. :-)

Duncan
    I hate having to do this. But I think you don't quite understand the scope of what you are considering "all the problems". How did you come to this conclusion? Have you actually read through this forum to see exactly what is being discussed? I'm guessing you saw the number of 271+ problems in the 'Kia Sorento Problems" forum and came to the conclusion that the Sorento has all kinds of problems.

Well, are is a sampling of some of the other makes and their SUVS based on data that I was able to dig up here in Edmunds:

Acura MDX - 201
    Honda Pilot - 390
    BMW X5 - 438 (there would be more but this forum was closed almost 6months ago)
    Infinite FX45 - 500+
    Subaru Forester - 2008
    Toyota 4Runner - 127
    Toyota Highlander - 927
    Nissan Murano - 190
    Nissan XTerra - 768
    Ford Explorer - 2254
    Ford Escape - 2324
    Hyundai Sante Fe - 583

So if your just looking at numbers and not reading the forums...the Kia is doing very well for itself. I think if you read through the forum a little, you will see just a few concerns most of us have had. And those being a drivline vibration in some Sorentos, ticking HVAC air ducting, a thumping sound from the rear of the truck when leaving from a stop, and a few front windshield issues and some minor chipping on the black paint part of the front gril. Thats really about it. I personally havent heard any problems with the leather seats.

Go test drive the Kia. Talk here in this forum with other owners. Compare the Kia against the competition. Then make your choice. But I'm guessing you will see that the Kia Sorento is a very solid vehicle in all respects. I'll be the first one to admit. The Kia isn't perfect. But it has been the best new car I have bought in over 15 years (knock on wood).
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Been around reading these since my GF really likes the Sorento. Personally i have a 2001 silverado 1500 4X4. There is a big deal with these trucks thumping also when you release the brake and press the gas. It has something to do with the rear slip yoke needed to be regreased as i recall. Just wondering if this might help you some being that it sounds like a similar problem. Just trying to help out what i can.
    Tom
    bigfur - Would you tell us more about your thumping experience on your Silverado? When did you first notice it and what was the solution to it? I didn't notice any thumping when I first picked up my Sorento, probably few months (or few thousands miles) after I bought the car. Anyone test drive a new Sorento lately and feel thump at rear wheels? Maybe bigfur is on a right track that the LSD needs some special attention this time. Thanks for any inputs!
  • jmejiasjmejias Member Posts: 8
    After a year driving my Sorento and two sets of rotors and pads, I reached the conclusion that the problem are not the rotors, or the abs system, the problem is the factory brake pad itself. There are not other options at the dealership service and parts departments than the junk they offer.

If you go for brakes service all you get is the junk that they sell or install under warranty. So, what I did, I checked my rotors. They are fine. They are straight like hell. Next, I checked the pads. Well, I can see myself reflected on my pads as a mirror. And I thought, maybe my pulsation while braking is caused by cristalized or glazed pads. Ok, I took a sandpaper and a can of parts and brake cleaner, and guess what? That was it, that was the problem. Now, they are working perfect. The brake pads from factory sucks!!. Now, I am thinking to replace them for a set of nice ones. TireRack.com carry a set for $44 dollars that will fit right and will perform better than the factory [non-permissible content removed] ones.

I know that there are Sorento owners with the same problem and my advise is that you do the same if there are no problem other than the pads itself. It worked for me, it will work for you. Think about it. Just try it!!
  • sorentoesorentoe Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Sorento 3 weeks ago. Don't have the thumping problem(yet), but I do have the vibration problem at about 60mph. If anyone has the fix let me know. Thanks. Oh, by the way, its a 2003
    ....Great information! Keep us updated on the pad replacement. I'm really curious if will see an improvement in the braking distances. I'm pretty sure you will, but I want to hear it from someone like you that is going to be able to compare the two side by side.

And for what its worth...brake pads from most manufactures that are OEM suck.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Well im not sure when it started i bought the truck used in april with about 28K on it. It had the clunk type of sound when you let off the brake, but didnt come to a complete stop (like slowing down and the light turns green). Problem is they regrease the slip yolk and that fixes it...for about a month then it comes back. So instead of taking it back every month and not having it for two days, i just deal with the noise. So as far as fixes, GM has no sure fire fix yet. So far it hasnt affected anything yet so i just live with it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I will attest to the fact that the OEM pads are too weak. Replace them ASAP and you won't get the pulsating or the premie-wear on rotors. That could definitely solve some of the aforementioned problems in this thread. With my '01 Sportage my brakes are fine at 60,000 miles. No need for any service at all on them and I still have the OEM pads on. Don't let that sound paradoxical, OK?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

but i didn't mean that the Kia Sorento was not a good car, I was just a little curious because of all the posts...i kno that all cars have their problems
  • phoenixriderphoenixrider Member Posts: 34
    I recently picked up a silver 04 LX 4x4. Great SUV, no problems as of yet.

Which brings me to the point of this post. I came across this forum a couple weeks after purchasing the Sorento. Had I seen if before, I may have hesitated, unwisely.

I feel that having a dedicated forum named 'Sorento Problems' is really a disservice to potential future Sorento owners, and KIA itself. Not to mention what a 'problem only' forum may do to future resale values (keeping up the perception that KIA is 'junk' Korean made goods). While it is one of the great things about the internet to get together to compare notes, sometimes there is such a thing as too much information.

I'm not saying that the problems shouldn't be discussed, I just wish the forum could have been included in the Sorento forum, because a forum based solely on 'problems' really takes everything out of context. By reading it, or skimming through it, one could presume at first glance that the Sorento is a problem laden vehicle.

After reading through virtually the entire forum, it appears that the TOD system does have some problems, but other problems in common seem realitvly minor, such as vibrations (caused seemily by over inflated tires), some minor electrical problems, and a couple rattles/buzzes.

Listing 'fuel economy' as a problem, to me, seems downright silly. I read the same EPA estimates I presume everyone else did when they purchased a vehicle.

Vehicles are built by humans, and mechanical parts will sometimes fail. Some vehicles are, in fact, bad right out of the gate. Happens to all manufacturers, even high end ones. That's why we have lemon laws.

I personly think that for a vehicle out on the market for a couple of years, the track record seems pretty good. Also, it is important to keep in mind how well a manufacturer stands behind it product (a 100k power train warranty makes a strong case), but also there are different levels of service at dealerships when it comes to addressing problems. Sometimes, I think, people equate bad dealer service with a bad vehicle, not realizing that a dealer may just have under trained, under motivated employees on its staff.

Well, this is just my opinion, in any case. Like I said, so far I'm very happy with my Sorento, and am looking toward to many years of driving it.
  • dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    Very good post. I too have worried that prospective Sorento buyers will just see the numbers of problem posts and discard it as a choice. The fact is that as you state there is a lot of good discussion about a few issues but a very small percentage of serious problems.

Also a Happy Thanksgiving to all the lucky Sorento owners out there and also to anyone reading these contemplating a purchase.
    Happy Thanksgiving also to the hosts from Edmunds and last but not certainly not least all of our folks in the armed forces. Thanks for all you do for us....

Duncan
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks to you and all the other wonderful Town Hall members who make these boards what they are and we all appreciate the guys and gals who put their lives on the line for us every day!

tidester, host
  • cactusjackcactusjack Member Posts: 5
    Just a FYI. I ran a few other models of SUV's (2003) through Edmunds TSB, recall list to for a comparision of vehicles.

The 2003 Sorento LX 4wd had no TSB's, or recalls.

Honda Pilot LX AWD - 1 recall, 8 TSB
    Toyota Highlander AWD 6cyl - 1 recall
    Jeep Liberty 4wd 3.7L - 1 recall
    Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 3.0L - 5 TSB
    Acura MDX AWD 3.5L - 2 TSB
    BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4.4L - 1 recall
    Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L - 5 recall, 3 TSB
    Infiniti QX4 4WD 3.5L - 1 TSB
    Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 3.3L - 1 recall
    Suzuki XL-7 Limited 4WD 2.7L - 1 recall
    Honda CR-V LX AWD 2.4L - 1 recall
    Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML350 AWD 3.7L - 1 recall
    Saturn VUE AWD 2.2L - 8 TSB
    Isuzu Axiom XS 4WD 3.5L - 1 recall

What does all this mean? Maybe the KIA is the Korean P.O.C. some make it out to be.......
  • lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    I don't think that the Edmunds page is very accurate for TSB's as the Sorento actually has 8 TSB's according to the NHTSA.

1 - rattling sound in jack compartment rough roads
    4 - other (these are just training bulletins for dealers)
    1 - replacement of drivers side seatbelt wire harness
    1 - electric power steering logic change to improve feel
    1 - apply hood anti corrosion

I would consider them all very minor and only the last one applied to my Sorento, purchased in Feb.

Just for a quick comparison between Edmunds and the real organization that does the TSB's, I looked up the Vue. That model actually has 25+ TSB's. The Pilot, has one recall and 30+ TSB's.

Check out http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/home.cfm
  • cactusjackcactusjack Member Posts: 5
    Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. I did notice, however, that there are no TSB's for the 2004 KIA's at this time.

BTW, I checked my trade in car, a 2002 Ford Focus, which I felt was a pretty decent vehicle -79 TSB's!.
  • StevePIIIStevePIII Member Posts: 55
    its been a while since I have checked the forum, When I first got my Sorento (03, ex, tod)about 9 months ago I made a post about a thump when I begin to accelerate. I am glad to see that I am not the only one. Still absolutely love my sorento -- the only problem I have had is the center console has always been diffuclt to open (the top magnetic part) and the other day the magnet pulled right up through the plastic!! I am hoping that the dealer will replace this.
  • jdesjardinsjdesjardins Member Posts: 24
    Well after 33 years of driving and 7 cars this is
    my first car where the dome light doesn't come on when I open the doors. Absolutely annoying :-(
    but I can live with it and hate it for the next 5 years or so !

The rest of the whole SUV is running real good after one month :-)

I wish my dealer can be smart enough to rewire the silly thing to turn "on" when the door opens
    In the winter it gets dark around 4PM up here and that dome light could be useful rather than useless
  • nutin2itnutin2it Member Posts: 6
    To jdesjardins:

You may want to check your dome light for an on/off switch. In my Sorento EX, there is a 3 position switch - to turn the light on, on when the door is open, or off completely.
    to nutin2it

Thanks for feedback. I will check if the scrolling intensity switch next to CRUISE does
    anything. That is the only switch I can find or know of. I will read the book again. The book from Kia which contains 0 instructions of the radio ! Pre-Programming the stations turned out to be easy by hold the buttons in about 3-4 seconds but I would have liked a section in the book. I will reread again in case I skipped it but I do not recall the RADIO functions listed in the front index.

By the way..last knight was a first... fairly cold evening with a bit of snow etc.... I noticed the LX had a hard time clearing the windows.

This was never a problem in my previous 4 Caravans ...and no the air recirculate was not active.

The car simply seemed to have a high humidity content which fogged inside the windows and froze.
    This could become a problem at 0 F or -20 F !!!
  • nutin2itnutin2it Member Posts: 6
    To jdesjardins:

O.K. on the light issue.

As for the owner's manuals, my Sorento came with not only the basic owners manaul (about an inch thick), but also separate books for the sound system, warranty and the tires. That's why you couldn't find anything in the basic book - cuz it's in the separate one. You should have received all 4 in a nice little leather-like binder.

Interesting situation you have with regard to the foggy windows, etc. I don't have an answer for you on that one - and I will likely never have the same situation - as I live in the southern states. Good luck with it.
    to nutin2it

No switch found to activate dome light on door openning, this must be an EX option. Us poor LX owners have to stay in the dark when to door opens.

If this is a hardwired thing then a good mechanic could rewire it to work decently, if is is a softare controlled relay the Kia would have to change a chip containing the smarts to active the dome light when doors open.

Think anybody at Kia reads this board ????

(found the radio book in the pouch like u said !!) thanks

NOW SOMEBODY AT KIA PLEASE FIX THIS STUPID DOME LIGHT !!!!
  • netcamnetcam Member Posts: 30
    jdesjardins,
    Do the interior front door lamps light up when you open your doors? My LX has interior lighting (including dome light) automatically on for maybe 20 seconds or so whenever I enter (to start) or exit (after engine shutoff) the vehicle. The ignition key area also lights up after unlocking and opening the drivers door, for getting the key in. The dome light switch is located on the front of the dome light housing. I believe the middle setting will turn it on when a door is opened.
    In case any Sorento owner out there has been frustrated about the super magnet from the planet Kryton that is used in the top center console section. I think many of you have been cursing this cover and I know I have to use two hands sometimes to open it because of the magnet. I kind of figured out a way to make it not as strong. I placed a small piece of duct tape to cover the magnet piece on the top cover section and it was still hard to open so I placed another on top of the first and it got better and I placed a third piece and now I can open it with one hand.
  • netcamnetcam Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for that tip hciaffa, that is a strong magnet on the top console cover.

Another tip for those with ABS that want to confirm for themselves that the mechanical sound from the front wheels after engine startup and initial forward movement is an ABS system test, is this: Rest your left foot on the brake pedal when starting off, when the sound occurs you will feel the ABS pulsation through the brake pedal. Feels exactly like ABS brakes would if you needed them for a very sudden, sharp stop. So it is definitely NOT a problem, but another nice safety feature from Kia. They just need to write a better owner's manual.

For those of you who are thinking of buying a Sorento, since the salesperson more than likely starts the vehicle up and moves it before you get behind the wheel for a test drive, if this ABS test feature isn't described or explained, give them a bit of a surprise by turning off the engine and restarting it at some point in your test drive!
  • fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2003 EX with 17000 miles on it. The airbag light came on in Jan. 03 then in april, then in november and it stayed off for a week. Now it is back on. Has anyone else had a problem with there airbag system. The drivers a/b was replaced twice and the clock spring replaced once. Kia has no bulletins on this problem and I am frustrated with it already. Anyone think I have a lemon law case here? It will be in the shop tomorrow for the 5th time for the same problem. HELP
    There are few posts about the airbag sensor that located under the driver's seat. It is a minor fix for a lose connector/cable. Your message didn't incident the airbag sensor. I wonder your dealer didn't look at that. My dealer once replaced the airbag in the steering wheel because the horn wasn't working. I left the dealer and the problem came back. They replaced the horn rely and it works fine ever since. So check with other dealers. Anyway, I think this happens on few Sorentos on early production date, probably prior Oct/Nov '02. There is no recall or TSB on this issue.
    I can understand your frustration with the airbag sensor. I had mine replaced at around 5000 miles. Its been ok ever since. I recieved a recall notice about 3 weeks later to have the very issue I had just had fixed...the drivers side airbag sensor cable under the seat. Apparently what happened to some Sorentos is that when the electric seat was extended all the way up and raised to the highest seat height, the cable extended so much it became disconnected. From what my tech guy told me, the airbag would still activate in a crash, it would just activate at its full force, not based on occupant weight or position.

Theres no way in gods green earth that you will have a case for the lemon law on this one. Sounds like you need to go to another Kia service department.
  • thm1thm1 Member Posts: 3
    Don't complain about having your sorento in the shop 5 times. I have had my sorento in the shop 9 times and it will be 10 times when the next windshield gets in town. Over a month total shop time so far. Kia refuses to give me a loaner each time. It hsan't been a pleasant experience so far.
  • lookin4answerslookin4answers Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had ANY sun roof problems on the '03 or '04 Sorento? Have you taken it through a touchless car wash and then checked the rear part of the sunroof(called drip guard) to see if you noticed water leaking in? If not please try the car wash and make sure you check that area of the sunroof, then email me back to let me know. Just wondering if it's right to be told that a "tech" manual states that sunroofs may leak and its normal? I DONT think anyone would by a vehicle if they knew that that was a issue, but the manual says its NORMAL! Do you? Mines been replaced and still leaks, but so did NEW ones on the lot...go figure. Lookin 4 answers.
    Thanks
    Your right I wouldn't buy a vehicle if it had a leaking sunroof even if it was normal. I have an 03 EX and I have taken it through many high power auto washes as well as hand held presure washers at the car wash and we have never spotted any leaking. I think you service department is trying to cover their [non-permissible content removed]. Try taking it to another dealer for repairs.
    looking4answer - I have no leak on my Sorento. What did you replace? Seal or drain hose? The only issue for the sunroof is rattle when it is half open. My dealer did some adjustment and it is still occur. BTW, what part of MA you are in?
  • fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    Hi everyone! Well I think my Sorento has been fixed. It turns out that the clock spring, which is behind the drivers airbag was acting a little funky. It seems like there are few Sorento's with some faulty clock springs and that is what is causing the light to come on. I really did not to pursue lemon law, because I really like my Sorento. I just love parking this thing a looking at it as I walk away. It rides so nice and is a pleasure to own.

Also has anyone installed the weatherflectors? I just took mine off, because they rattle if you have the windows open just a little. I like a quiet ride. Is anyone else having that problem with them?
    are you refering to the window visors from Kia or from Weathertech. If the Weathertech visors are vibratting you can remove them and use some 3m double sided trim tape to hold them in the channel better. Mine do not vibrate but a fellow worker had the problem and used just a little stip and it worked. You can purchase this tap at some auto parts shops or even at Kmart or Walmart. Its a double sided foam tape to adhere auto trim to the car and they come in assorted widths. He used the 1/4 inch wide tape.
    did anyone see the IIHS's review of the Sorento...MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT from such a well-equppped SUV
    fmunoz1069 - I have the window deflectors from WeatherTech. I also noticed a rattle (very little) on the front set because no tape was applied. It is a kind of lose at the end of the visor when touching it, not the other end near the side mirror. When the weather gets warm, I will put some tape on the front set. I put the same WeatherTech visors on my '03 Camry and there is no rattle.

hicaffa - I do see some Auto Shade vent visors on some SUVs with a similar design as WeatherTech, no outside tape. But the it is a bit thicker and darker.
    Is this normal ??

When backing up (front wheels turned about 45 degrees ) in 4wd hi mode, my Sorento comes to a halt after about 8 feet. (I did not dare force the transmission but I was stopped dead )

I was on dry pavement. I then put the car in 2 wheel mode and could then back away from my parking slot.

Tried backing out again in 4wd mode and the car stopped again if the front wheels are turned at an angle

Is this something to do about the wheels locking up because of different rund radiuses.

Everything alse is perfect on my sorento (except it sucks gas big time) Tried it in deep snow and it handled beautiful!!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    And if you force it, you'll wreck your 4wd unit. 4wd Hi is only to be used on non-pavement surfaces.

-mike
    TO Paisan:

Thanks for confirming my doubts. !

This something to think about all the time. My area gets big snow storms so I coud be in 4wd yet some parking lots can be underground (and dry as a bone) or have their snow cleared and melted away in an afternoon's on a sunny day.

Finding one's self on pavement can happen rapidly
    with the wheels in 4wd mode !!
  • lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    That is exactly why I got the TOD 4wd. I didn't want to have to change between 2 and 4 all the time. Around here there are areas that are dry and then you come upon inches of snow. I have been very impressed by the TOD system.
  • jjwolfjjwolf Member Posts: 11
    Im also getting that sound when I first begin to accelerate after the car has been parked.
    Though to me it sound like a tiny rub or a grind,
    and then goes away.

Anyone find out what this was, or what will fix it?

Thanks!
  • silverexsilverex Member Posts: 8
    WHEN THE ROOF LEAKS IS IT LEAKING INTO THE CAR OR IS IT JUST LEAKING INTO THE DRIP PAN, IF IT IS JUST LEAKING INTO THE PAN IT IS NORMAL, THE SUNROOF IS DESIGNED TO LEAK THAT IS WHY THE PAN AND DRAIN HOSES ARE THERE..
    I have an EX 4WD with TOD. I have seen more and more Sorento owners (including me, members at Edmunds and others from some car discussion boards) have the same observation when we are just about to take off after break from high speed.

Most of us have 4WD with limited slip differential (LSD) and with a good number of LX and EX owners. I mentioned this to my service manager. He told this is normal for 4WD and didn't do any further investigation. Many are guessing the transmission or the LSD.