Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    batista writes.........I now know why the 3800 V6 never got a horsepower increase after the year 1998. It would suck gas like a V8. You mean to tell me that to get 40 more horsepower out of that engine (same engine as the 3.5L but increased to 3.9L) it would result in 18 city/24 highway. ......

The 3800 V6 in the Grand Prix GTP got a horsepower increase in 2004, from 240hp to 260hp! And Gas mileage remained the same at 18 city/28 highway.
    venua537 writes.....The altima V6 does not require premium fuel......

Nissan recommends premium-grade fuel for the VQ series V6s for Maximum performance. Same on my Infiniti with the same VQ series V6 engine. However you can use regular 87, you will just lose a slight amount of power.
    G6 GTP 24 highway is pretty POOR when you consider the Competition's 240+ Hp V6, Altima, Maxima, accord all get 28 to 30 highway!!

Even the 400 horsepower 6.0 Liter Six spd GTO gets 25 highway and thats a V8 and weighs 350 lbs more then G6, LOL! GM dropped the ball on this one. Axle ratio is very agressive in GTO too, 3.42
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Has anyone seen mileage numbers anywhere other than the Pontiac G6 site?

I am still wondering if it's an error. Just seems to low to be true.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Hopefully that mileage estimate is for the automatic GTP. The 6 speed manual HAS to get better highway mileage then that. Both of my V8 powered 6spd Pontiacs (02 Formula & 04 GTO) with performance axles(3.42 & 3.46) get over 27 MPH highway in heavier cars.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    You are right on the money vanman. The Pontiac web site is incorrect for highway. The correct number, I am told is 26 for auto (and it is a few higher for the manual trans). Thx for you inputs I have passed it along ;)
    Who told you?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "The lacrosse CXS isnt much faster thann 3800 equipped W cars because of its meager torque figures and I would be willing to bet the GTP will be considerably faster."

Are you sure about that? Everything I've read says the CXS LaCrosse feels and is significantly quicker than the 3800 CXL and CX LaCrosse. Can you cite some numbers? GMs 3.6L is a phenomenal engine.

~alpha
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    I was referring to the natural aspirated 3800 V6 when I mentioned that it never got a horsepower increase. Also, the 3800 SC did get a 20hp increase but it didn't result in better acceleration times. It was maybe 0.1 sec faster to 60mph than the Series II.
    I can't say ;)

However if I get any feedback about a correction planned for Pontiac web site I will post back.
    Looking forward to better news on that or the 3.9L will be out for me.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    "I can not think of many options for those wanting 5 on the floor, good gas mileage, sporty handling, and four doors."

I found all of the above. That's why it will be hard to replace it. The G6 would be an option but I want the stick with a somewhat fuel-efficient, modern engine. I really don't like the 6, looks kinda dated to me. The Altima's interior is unattractive to me.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Hey e2helper, maybe you can provide feedback to the powers-that-be that using the GTO exhaust sound to advertise the G6 on TV commercials is misleading and probably not a good idea? I realize that this may be an agency thing vs. a Pontiac thing, but still, the expectation is the G6 sounds like that, and the one my wife test-drove sure didn't sound anything like my GTO :-)

--Robert
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I like the 3.6 so I dont why people are trying to convince me that its a good engine. I am just saying that in real world performance the 3.9 is going to be just as good, if not better for the G6. The 3.9 has VVT, more torque and makes peak torque at a lower rpm. On top of that it's redline is only about 100-200rpm lower than the DOHC 3.6. I cant see how anyone can discount a car based on the number of valves on the engine. Most people dont know the difference and I do not want to pay $29K for a lacrosse CXS that has a DOHC engine that offers little real benefit over a $26K G6 GTP with 3.9. The bottom line is the Lacrosse's engine needs a boost, it should have the same numbers as the CTS. I wonder if you people would prefer if the G6 had the CTS' 2.8L V6 with 210hp. I'm many of you would rather have that than a 240hp OHV engine. I agree that 24mpg on the highway isnt acceptable but we have yet to prove that is the fault of the engine.

The fastest I have seen the Lacrosse CXS timed on 0-60 is 7.7secs which is about the same as the last generattion 3800 equipped W cars. The Lacrosse is about 100 pounds heavier due to sound deadening but that shouldnt be enough to slow it down that much. By comparison the grand prix GTP with 240hp was typically timed between 6.6-6.8 secs to 60. I definitely expected the lacrosse with 3.6 to be closer to 7 secs flat.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "The 3.9 has VVT, more torque and makes peak torque at a lower rpm."

the difference in low end and peak torque is small but the torque maintained at higher RPM with the 3.6 is not. we'll have to see how the 3.9 actually performs.
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    Consumer Guide's 2005 auto buying guide lists the CXS's 0-60 time as 7.1
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    7.1 seems way low. I doubt it's that fast but..

3.9L will likely be a little quicker off the line I think. OHV engines usually are.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Kevorkian buying into GM? Ooops, sorry that's Kerkirian ;)

As for engine choices, the GM V6 of any flavor gets the job done. Most get good gas mileage. If they want to get something smoother and above and beyond the domestic
    competition, why not go with an inline six and rear wheel drive? It is not that some of
    the cars are not OK, it is that there are so many other choices in the price range. They
    are head to head with Japan and they should be doing something different, like some
    cars to get into the class of BMW only cheaper. The Datsun 510 was a huge success
    as a cheaper BMW. Just a thought. Or just let Kevorkian do his thing. The G6 may prove to be a good car. Time will tell. If it is a good car, it will be an outstanding used
    car value. I think many will wait.

Loren
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Why do you doubt Consumer Reports? 3.6 has excellent torque band for OHV engine. Almost flat the entire curve.
    7.1 seconds does seem fast. I would guess more like 7.5 to 7.7. Could be a typo.

Nice engine though regardless.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Models now have chrome rings around the radio contorls - looks much better.
    They should make the leather steering wheel standard as well.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    the point is that the 3.6 provides more power at all engines speeds than the 3.8 in the lacrosse.

looking forward to the saturn aura, it would be nice if GM could build at least one afordable sedan for the rest of us.
    The Aura will have an optional 2.4L base model so I'm sure everyone can afford a Aura. That said, I hope they get all models out at launch, not a year later like the G6.
    The G6 family was a little more complicated having 3 body styles (sedan, coupe, convertible) and 3 engines. Always room for another engine though. We'll have to see what happens for the next model year ;)
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    This engine was not in production when the G6 came out. The choices were debut the car with the V6 standard or postpone the launch. It's really that simple. It's not like GM had the 2.4L engines sitting around and decided not to use them, the engine wasnt out then. It is in production now and that's why the G6 4 banger will be available next month. This engine will be in the Cobalt, HHR, Solstic and Ion as well. There is no reason for the Aura to come out without two engines at launch.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I think he was implying that it would be nice of GM could launch a new vehicle with engine variations ready at the same time. GM of late is notorious for not having new engines coincide with new vehicle launches.

I have been told by GM execs that the 3.6 is not more widely used because lack of capacity. That should have been factored in way in advance. This is the engine the G6 should have had. No excuses. It would much better aligned the G6 with the competition. I am sure some will say it costs more, it might. But, the G6 is overpriced anyway.

Just my thoughts.
    The 3.6L is made down the highway from me in St. Catherines ON. From what I understand, Capacity is somewhat limited now so they would need to produce it elsewhere to have it added to more applications (models).
  • barrydebarryde Member Posts: 1
    Hi..I also have an Equinox. I love it, but I am having a lot of strange electrical issues. What kind of problems are you having?
  • michele2michele2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    i purchased the G6 about 6 weeks ago. I absolutely love it! It looks great and drives really well. I got the GT model with the sunroof and chrome wheels. Mine is tthe ivory white. I have had lots of compliments on it. It gets about 24 mpg around town. I don't know the highway miles yet. I highly recommend it! We also got 2% interest which is great. I really love my G6 GT! :):)
    Congrats, I have seen the white. It's quite sharp on the G6 IMO.
  • ryan56ryan56 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I just purchased a new G6 GT, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any parts such as a chip or intake system that would boost my HP. I've has SUVs my entire life and I'm new to this. If anybody has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    May be too new of a car to get a chip but a K&N filter will boost power a little.
  • mzack21mzack21 Member Posts: 5
    Looking at buying one with all of the fixings. Sticker is 27,800. I'll be paying cash up front. What can I expect to get for a good out the door price?
  • michelle6michelle6 Member Posts: 22
    I bought one about a month ago and I love it. It is one of the best cars I have ever had. I am very happy with the purchase. I didnt get the GT, but I think it is plenty fast for me. I bought a black one with sunroof and the 6-disc CD. I am very happy with the mileage.
    "
    Looking at buying one with all of the fixings. Sticker is 27,800. I'll be paying cash up front. What can I expect to get for a good out the door price?
    "
    --end quote--
    I don't know, but I saw a Pontiac/Holden for 27,785, with 400HP. Why not?
    For that amount of $$$, you are into the price league of Mustang GT and at
    a discount a starter BMW3 sedan. That is serious cash. I would expect a
    discount of around $4,000 on the G6 GT, so around 23,800 or less may be
    the sale price. Too much IMHO, but it's your money. In two or three years,
    it will be selling for $14,000 or so.
    :shades:
    Loren
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I have the 2005 EPA booklet here and it states the G6 is 22/32 mpg. The G6 with the select shift is 21/29 mpg.
    They were trying to get the figure on the GTP. Does not seem to be listed on the Gov site yet. Guess I'd go with the G6 that gets 32 MPG, should have enough HP to get the job done and then some. Gas mileage of a GM cars I owned, going back to 80 to 90's got better than EPA listed by around 10%, so maybe it will do 35MPG. Nothing much else to say good about them though. If the current quality data is correct, GM cars built after 2001 for the most part look better and better to date. These may be a more stylish alternative to the Honda Accord or Camry, if they are reliable and make the grade in all the other facets.
    They could be the greatest buy in two years time - used. If the GTP gets 24 or even 26 MPG on the freeway, it is not terrible, but you have to think of the worth of some extra ponies under the hood vs. paying the extra amount for gas. At say $25K you start to think more along the line of a Mustang V8 300HP or a GTO which is on sale for $28K. I think once past the 200HP version of the G6, I would look elsewhere.
    Loren
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729

Is it a GTP?

If its a GTP that figure seems reasonable. Try to get them to knock it down to 26 or so. Just remember you will not get an Altima with this many features for this price, so go for it, and tell us how the GTP drives.

P.S. anything over 25K is too much for a 200hp GT, IMHO. So if its a GT, laugh in there face. ;)
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Ummm after rebates and discounts you CAN get an Altima for that cheap or LESS..with Leather Pkg., ABS, etc.

Altimas have some good deals on them right now.
    I think the Altima is a decent deal right now but I just don't like the looks of the car, I never have. In fact, I really don't like the look of any Nissan now, just a lot of strangeness IMO.
    The Nissans of today are strange looking. I think it's the French influence. I am actually surprised it sells as well as it does, I would take boring Toyota or Ford over Nissan.
    Altima, to me, looks much like the Passat. I like the styling, though the interior is a little on the cheap side. It is the best looking Nissan, IMHO. The G6 looks pretty sharp. I would say both are fair buys in the $17,500 to 19,000 range. Used, the G6 price will be much better than the Altima in two years time ( for the buyer, that is).

Loren
  • michael2michael2 Member Posts: 31
    My fiancee, just bought a G6 GT, pucks it up tomorrow, greyish blue,black interior. I drive a 2005, Subaru GT limited sedan, although due to the engine differences,HP,turbo the G6 is not in the same league as the Subaru. But I think it is a great car,quiet, sport suspension, good gas mileage on regular, I must use premium, anyway, how would you long term owners of this car rate it with respect to reliability, quality and performance.

Please no arguments about my Subaru comparison, if the subie was not around, I'd opt for the GTP, and especially the upcoming convertible. Her cousin owns a pontiac dealership, and will reserve a convertible in her first batch,for us, in red.
  • gator_chickgator_chick Member Posts: 3
    I want a G6 Coupe GTP, but I can't find a release date anywhere. The Pontiac website says Summer of 2005, but the sales guy at the dealer said probably October or November. I don't think he knew what he was talking about. :confuse:
  • prm1967prm1967 Member Posts: 9
    My G6 GT has been excellent for over 5 months and 8,000 miles. Only minor issue was the aforementioned dashpad noise - easily fixed by the dealer. I believe a previous post stipulated that this issue has now been rectified during manufacturing (mine was built Oct '04).
    Why did GM make the 3.5 engine? Looks like the same HP and about the same torque as the 3.8, so why another engine? Does everyone like the steering and throttle on their new G6? Are they using electric assist steering and throttle-by-wire? Looks more exciting than the Accord for sure. The new coupe looks like it will be sharp. I do like the looks of the Accord coupe as well. That should be a good head to head driving review to read some day, when those two are tested together. I know the Accord is not ranked too good for steering / handling in the way of sporty feel. If the G6 is better, that may be one huge plus for the GM Pontiac G6. It is interesting that at least one city I went to, the Pontiac dealership was selling on the lot, around 3 to 4 ratio, or higher trucks and SUVs still. Not much of a refocus, yet.
    :shades:
    Loren
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Why did GM make the 3.5 engine?

Because the 3800 does not meet some upcoming standard (possibly ODB-III?) and it would cost serious $$$ to update. The 3800's days are numbered. They did a good job totally reworking the 3.1/3.4 to become the 3.5 - if you had a bad experience with intake gaskets with the older engines, I wouldn't necessarily assume it's going to re-occur with the 3.5 (total revamp, rather than just a bore-out). I believe the 3.5 is also lighter and smaller than the 3800, and it gets excellent fuel economy for a V-6.

--Robert
  • drivemwilddrivemwild Member Posts: 1
    $27,800 is the the GT G6 with heated leather seats ... the works. The National Hot Button promotion is $1000 cash back + manufacturer rebates and dealership discounts. The manufacturer promotions and rebates are scheduled to end 5/31/05 ... not sure what will be offered next. If you do not drive an obscene amount of miles, you might want to check into the SmartBuy program (36 & 48 month terms).

It's a great car, I've had mine about 3-weeks. I get the same city mileage as I did in my 4-cyl Camry ... 19-20 mph. I have not taken it on a trip yet ... very fun car to drive with much more power than my Camry (2003).

Good luck! - K
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    If the 3800's days are numbered then why is the base engine for the 2006 Buick Lucerne the 3800? It's also very idiotic that the horsepower has gone down by 10 to 195. All other car manufacturers move up in power year after year but not GM. All of us have been wondering when the end for the 3800 will be. GM will probably use the 3800 till 2015.
    3800's days are numbered. HP is dropping because of emmissions restrictions. Its still a great motor but the 3900 will replace it soon.