Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    :shades: WOW! :shades:
    congradulations on your purchase!
    You must have got an awesome deal!

Oh man i am so itching to ask you about your cars!

Does your GTP have the pictured three-spoke steering wheel, like the coupe?

How is the rear-seat room in the coupe? Does your gtp have 17, or 18 inch wheels? How much did you get it for?

Tell us all about it! Did you test drive it against other cars, like the Altima and the accord coupe? Especially, how does the engine of the GTP feel, in comparison to the GT and generally others if you have driven them?

Oh yea, and fuel economy, defenetly fuel economy on the GTP? :confuse:

Sorry if im bieng too nosy and all, but im pretty sure you are the first person on this board to purchase both the GTP and the coupe! :P
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    How does the power feel in your GTP? Is the car crazy fast??

240HP on a G6 seems like soo much power,
  • ggilmourggilmour Member Posts: 1
    We have had the car two weeks. Power steering started quitting on day 2 and got to the point were it wouldn't stay on. My wife nearly got clobbered by a tractor trailer when it first happened and she couldn't steer out of his way.Needless to say the car is back at the dealer who doesn't know how to fix it yet as it's so new to them. Left turns seemed to stop the power steering so plan your trips using right turns only !!! ">
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Likely they will replace steering column
  • mrdisco1mrdisco1 Member Posts: 9
    can someone please explain what this 'electric' steering is all about? is it a form of drive-by-wire? what are the advantages over the older (?) technology?
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Electronic control systems give engineers the ability to design sophisticated programs, allowing variable assist, power steering without the engine running, and tuning the steering system to the vehicle without changing mechanical parts. The advantages of electric power steering are many in that the complex system of pump, hoses, cooling lines, and metering valves is replaced with one motor, mounted on the rack or on the column. Additional horsepower is needed to produce the required power from the alternator, but an electric steering system is up to 80% more efficient than a hydraulic system.
    So far, however, in every car they have been in, it seems to offer less communication from the road than a conventional hydraulic system. From BMW to Chevy, these systems are just to new and underdelopped IMO for performance cars. This is why it was a good idea for GM to offer the hydraulic system in the G6 GTP.

Engineers need to figure out how to make these electric systems more comunicative, and then companies can save alot of money on just the weight of components bieng replaced.

Also, since the car weighs less it means the car could have potentially better fuel economy, and with these prices even 0.5 MPG better is worth it.

The G6 GTP should be a blast to drive with the new 3.9L and the hydraulic steering. Can't wait for the 6-speed (!!!) auto hopefully with manual shift mode to come out. :D
  • green5green5 Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone had any real significant and or constant anoying problems with g6 since its release? If so what kind / how many / is it the same all the time / how difficult was it to replace it?
    Meybe we need a G6 "Problems and Solutions" thread?
  • woodsy1woodsy1 Member Posts: 2
    We are having one major problem with our new G6. When fuel level drops below 1/4 tank, it plummets to zero within minutes. Gauge and Computer show little or no fuel. Makes it difficult to gauge fuel needs on trips. Have taken to dealer. Of course, it does not do this when they investigate. Any answers to this problem??
  • woodsy1woodsy1 Member Posts: 2
    Who designs the cup holders for GM? We have had Chevy minivans and a G6. The front cup holders are ususally in most awkward place. In the Venture the cupholder broke and they were suggesting $300.00 because they would have to remove front pasenger seat to get at it. The cup holder probably cost a buck and a quarter. The G6 cupholders are placed directly in line with the shifter and where most people would want an arm rest. MORONS !!
    Cupholders are in bad spots. That said, it's not unique to GM. G6 does have a tight cockpit like interior so options are limited also.
  • jsmca22jsmca22 Member Posts: 1
    My G6 (2005 model) has a 4 panel retractable sun roof, the dang thing rattles and has been to the dealer 4 times for this. They have removed the thing once that I know of and it stays fixed for a little while and then gradually starts rattling again. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, is there a fix or what?? It is going back to the dealer again this week............any help would be greatly appreciated!! :cry:
  • elecblueg6gtelecblueg6gt Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to the host and creator,

I purchased an Electric Blue G6 GT.
    17" Chometech wheels
    Monsoon stereo with XM radio.
    Side curtain airbags
    Remote start

To begin with, I'm outside sales, so I do some driving in So. Calif. The rest is fly and rent. I came out of a 94 Camry with 150000k miles, so I kept that car to leave at the airport and reduce some of the miles on the G6.

The color is beautiful and have received many positive comments. I've waxed it so have gotten a real good look at the paint. There are a "few" bubbles in the paint, but I'm being overly picky. Quite a bit of orange peal in several areas though. The Camry's Champange paint is still in excellent condition and almost no orange peal. I bring this up as a comparison only, and not a complaint.

The wheels are very nice to look at. The car corners very well with the continental 225/50R/17's. The tires did make more noise than they should, so the dealer will be replacing both rear tires.

The second opinion I read on this web-site pertaining to the Monsoon stereo was
    off the mark, IMHO. With the system adgusted to each band, it performed nearly as good as what I had in my Camry. Upgraded stereo of course. I no longer listen to FM radio, so I can't really comment on that. I'm an XM Radio Addict.
    200 watts is most likly max output, but at any rate, turn anything to the limit and you should expect some distortion. Nigel's amp being the exception. In case you don't know Nigel, his amp goes to 11.

No report on the air bags, as I haven't had the need to use them yet. Phew!

The remote start is a cool feature, it's been over 90 everyday for the last few weeks. If I leave the A/C cranked, it's cranked when I start the car. Good enough for me.

The fit and finish could be a little better. I do notice the lower window moldings not meeting very well. Gas milage currently is at 24.0. I've driven quite a bit in the city, and perhaps the gas pedal has hit the floor a couple of times.

I've never owned a GM made product. Thanks to Shelley at Rio Rancho GMC/Pontiac for being so helpful. GM Buy Power isn't all that is was cracked up to be.
    I drove test drove a Mazda 6S sedan. With the A/C on and around 25 mph, I punched the pedal. The car did a nose dive like it was going to stall, then around 2 1/2 secs. later it took off. I tried it several times and received the same response. The G6 hesitated approx. 1/2 sec. That helped quite a bit in moving me over to GM.
    Sorry this post is so long, but thanks for everyone's contribution.
    Congrats on the new wheels!
    tell us whats up!
  • starship1starship1 Member Posts: 3
    I WAS PLANNING ON BRINGING MY G6 TO THE DEALER TOM'W FOR THE SAME PROBLEM.IT IS INCREDIBLY ANNOYING.I JUST DON'T THINK THERE IS ANYTHING THEY CAN DO.IF THE SUNROOF AND SUNSHADE ARE FULLY CLOSED IT IS BEARABLE.I'M LEASING FOR 3 YEARS THEN TURNING IT IN.MY WIFE WANTED THE SUBARU OUTBACK.I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO HER.I HAVE A 2002 HONDA ACCORD.I HAVE NEVER HEARD A SQUEAK OR RATTLE.I LIKE THE G6 ALOT.BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF RATTLES.MAYBE I'LL GET LUCKY AND SOMEONE WILL STEAL IT.GOOD LUCK AND KEEP RATTLING.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    I think I would pass on cars with electric steering. So far problems and more problems, from what posts here say and in the quality of steering feedback, like in the Saturn Vues. I bought a base PT and have had zero problems. Basic is a good thing. Keep it simple. As for the new sunroof, I understand to be a Fiat product --- well you know that will be a problem. Don't understand why people want sunroofs of any type. Problems and more problems. The new G6 Coupe will look pretty cool. Knock a few more thousand off the retail, and it will be a pretty hot value. Or as a used car in a couple of years for say $12K to $13K -- not a bad deal. GM used is a pretty neat value play! Steering with electric assist, and throttle-by-wire, I could do without. The C5 Vettes have throttle-by-wire, so if I buy one some day, I guess I am stuck with that complexity.
    Loren
    Pretty much everything now is thottle-by-wire. Computer needs to have control for economy/emissions.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    It also combines 3 units, IAC, cruise, and throttle. :)
    Yes,

For those that didn't know IAC=Idle Air Control ;)
    "I think I would pass on cars with electric steering. So far problems and more problems.."

That's not true at all. I spoke with a mechanic at the dealer about them a while back and he said they were "no better or worse" but down the road they should prove to be better since there will never be a costly pump repair. And that said, Chrysler pumps are nothing to write home about.
    The reviews on the Saturn Vue stated that the steering was like having gravel in it. People are complaining of a whining sound coming out of the steering on the Mazda3. I'll pass on electric steering. Never have to replace any pump on any car I have owned over the last 3.5 decades, so that is not an issue with me. I see that on the G6 they do not use electric steering on the top line model where handling is an issue. Maybe feedback to the drive is not so hot on GM electric steering? As for throttle-by-wire there are plenty of cars which have the problem of hesitation when the gas pedal is depressed, or not being able to blip the throttle to get RPMs up to match on downshifts on sports cars. Some new stuff is good and some is just making life worse, IMHO. If ya like it, go for it!

Loren
    I've not had any problems with the steering in my G6 GT. Yet. As far as feedback is concerned, how much do I need when I'm driving through the neighborhood? There is sufficient feedback ( resistance felt ), that is doesn't feel artificial. I am fairly alert to the posters who report failure of steering control on left turns however. Obviously, I'll post if that happens to this G6.
    The throttle by wire issue. I have experienced some throttle delay in the amount of 1/2 sec. I believe I reported this before. Does the Mazda 6S also have throttle by wire?
    The rear tires were replaced by the dealership, and my tire noise is now gone.
    I'm ordering the lower rear valance from the GTP for my GT. It has the dual exhaust outlet. One into two, dual exhaust will be installed after the valance is received. Magaflow muffler with a resonator, 2 1/2" exhaust.
    Dyno numbers to follow.
    I'll be setting up a photo site as well.
    The electric system used on the VUE was the first used by GM and it is not the same as the one in the G6. Further, where did you read that they are unreliable? The complaints some have in the early VUE systems have to do with calibration, not reliability.

There is nothing wrong with them, they work great and they are more fuel efficient. Who wouldn't want that?
    No Reliability issues I guess. I was speaking of people not liking the feel or the noise of electric steering. I never had any problems with the old way of doing it, so why change. The gas mileage difference is at the most a half MPG or less, is it not? If others are happy with all this new stuff, so be it, I for one don't need it. Yeap, will likely be forced into it some day, just like hybrids, when cars all change. Or maybe I will get a quality used car ;-)

Loren
    The 3 electric systems I have driven make no noticeable noise? In fact a normal power system makes more noise than the electric when doing a hard slow turn.

MPG gain is probably about 1-2 mpg in the city, less on the highway. Wouldn't you want to save whatever you can when gas is $3+ a gallon? It adds up.

Feel of newer electric systems is un-noticeable vs. regular. Even with the older ones, it's barely noticeable. Try a G6 for yourself before judging by what people in some Mazda forum are saying.
    Why did GM go with regular power assist with the GTP G6 or whatever its called. In the sports edition, they dropped the electric assist steering. Interesting! I did read about the gas saving recently by using the electric assist steering. Ah the age of computer guided autos. Now it is a matter of programming to get the feel correct in steering.

I had an Achieva which was really odd in that it would sometimes, but not always, have light steering at freeway speeds. Very strange, and not too safe. Took it in for service and they handed me a sheet on how power steering works to lighten the wheel feel when parking. Well I once again tried my best to explain it was doing just the oposite. In that when it should be firming up at speed, the steering was too light. Oh well, the ABS did not work right, so add yet another quirk of GM on 1992 vintage.

I bought a new PT, so I am no longer looking at G6 or other GMs at this time. Do believe I will stop in and see the new G6 Coupe when it comes out though. If I go back to two cars some day, will consider it as a used car. Seems too pricy new, but I do like the shape. Ah but it is FWD. I usually last a few years without a sports car, then the desire takes over again. Maybe a Corvette or a Solstice Coupe if available is in the future?

With the price on the Left Coast here for gas, I may have to get the old bike out of the garage.

Loren
    I suspect the GTP may have a traditional system because of the torque steer issue. The 240hp (which is a lot for a FWD car of this size) may have tripped up the electric system so they went with a traditional. That would be my only guess at an explanation, but I don't work at GM and I'm not an engineer.

Gas is going up more, smart thing to do is save as much as you can and buy oil and oil sands stocks. It will off set the pain.
    The magazine writers don’t like the feel, when they race around the track they can’t feel when its going to let loose. The first time I drove EPS I noticed no difference, in fact I forgot it had it. After driving one for 10K the biggest difference is ease of steering at slow speeds. When I drive my truck I think there is something with the steering because it feels so heavy. :)
    My Intrigue has a regular power system with variable assist that does the same thing. The wheel tightens up nicely when the car speeds up. I love it personally.
    isn't that what magnasteer does?
    Never heard of magnasteer, I know I like the idea of no pump,hoses or fluid to leak. :)
    its on some buicks, grand prix, and posssibly even cadillacs (not sure on that one).
    It's in my Intrigue. Great system, I think electric may replace it though.
  • rosiexorosiexo Member Posts: 3
    I bought a Pontiac G6 last month and noticed that it does not handle well when going over road bumps and pot holes. It seems as if the car does not absorbe any of the impact and you can feel every bump in the road - makes for a very uncomfortable ride. Is this normal? I haven't heard any other complaints in regards to this matter.... so I am beginning to wonder if it's just my car's suspension?
    I bought the GT version of the G6. It is a little stiffer than most mid-size sedans. Tire pressure has some to do with how well it responds to road conditions. Have you checked the tire pressures?
    My car goes over speed bumps very well, as long as I'm not going too slow or too fast. Potholes I do my best to avoid.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    GT suspension is know to be tight (as it should be).

Should buy a base V6 if you don't like that kind of ride.
    Thanks for the tip. I am going to check the tire pressure. I think you have a good point here. I drove a friend's G6 GT and the ride was a lot smoother - and it handled better over bumpy conditions. I'll let you know how it goes. Other than that, the car is solid with excellent gas mileage. Have you had any trouble with the radio reception at all? I notice some of the local radio stations that I use to get with no interference are a little fuzzy in this car. Kind of strange... Any thoughts?
    I really like the ride in the GT - it hugs the ground and does have amazing handeling. I just noticed that one other GT I test drove felt a lot smoother. Other than that issue - the car is excellent.
  • starship1starship1 Member Posts: 3
    IS ANYONE EXPERIENCING EXCESSIVE RATTLING NOISES?I THINK IT IS COMING FROM THE SUNSHADE.VERY ANNOYING.HAVE TO BLAST THE RADIO TO DROWN IT OUT.BRINGING IT BACK TO THE DEALER ON MON.OTHERWISE ,I LIKE THE CAR VERY MUCH.
    YELLING!
    I have XM radio installed in my G6. I usually don't listen to local FM radio stations, so don't have much in the way of feedback. I believe the FM attennae is installed in the windshield. I've never been a fan of that type of antennae.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Because it would be very expensive to shut down all the engine build modules and retool with the new engines.

Why are the Buicks the last to use the new engines? Because the 3.8 is a Buick engine from way back and, you may not believe it, but there are a whole bunch of Buick buyers and others who really like the 3.8. Yes they may be old but Buick needs to keep the loyal Buick buyers to keep up volume. As you know Olds did not and died a quick death.

The Lucerne lost HP mainly due to exhaust restrictions to decrease noise which is what Buick is all about, after just about the best in the world quality of course.

3.8 will probably go away when the current LaCrosse and Lucerne architectures die off in about 4-5 years or when GM decides to close down the last 3.8 build module.
    Technology today is so much better than back then and DOD has been on the road awhile now with no problems I am aware of.
  • fenderman1fenderman1 Member Posts: 3
    Is DOD planned for the GTP engine? If so when?
  • simplystressedsimplystressed Member Posts: 10
    My leasing guy called me the other day offering to demo a 2 door GTP for himself and then in 4 months lease it to me at a reasonable discounted rate I figure. MSRP currently is $36k (canadian) and the rate he is offering will be on a value of about $30k with about 5000 kilometers. At any rate I started doing a bunch of research on the car and see that it has the 18" Bright Aluminum Wheel option. Most places I've read said the tires on these wheels are summer only tires, not recommended for winter use. On the GM Canada web site, the wording for that option indicates that those optional wheels come with " AS " tires. Am I incorrect in assuming that this means all season? Reason I ask is that while poking around at the options for '05 Monte Carlos, they show the tires on those cars as " AS " too. Me confused. Could it be the summer only tires are for US cars at this point and they are sticking all seasons on the Canadian cars with the optional wheels? By the way, replacement new tires are $400 canadian each !! Kind of hard to swallow knowing that in a 4 year lease at least almost $2k will have to be spent on tires. Maybe even 2 sets depending on how soft the rubber is. I recently spent $175 for 4 good used tires for my '02 Grand Prix. I doubt many 18" tires will be found at the used places. Thoughts?
    Unless you have money to burn, don't lease it. Buy it used in a couple years for half price. As for 18" wheels on such a small car, it does seem ridiculous. If you need a total performance car, just buy a Corvette. Even with the discount, the car is overpriced, IMHO.

Loren
    Here is where m1 does not agree with the general public. Car is underpriced for at least a few years since it is so sold out and hot. Three years from now it may be a different story but right now there is no rebate and no haggling that I know of.

As far as getting a Corvette, well if you have a lot of money you should be getting the Vette anyway ;) . Vette is more than twice as much and I am sure the insurance will be a bunch more.

18" wheels are for hot looks. If you want the hottest looking car get the 18's but drive one first to be sure the ride is acceptable. Short sidewall tires five a choppier ride.