Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6

aviatormanaviatorman Member Posts: 44
Post any and all info. you have on this topic. Here is all the information I have::
The '04 Grand Prix was release at The Texas State Fair in August. It is to be available in the first quarter of 2003.

The '05 Grand Am is to be redesigned, but has not been release.

Thanks
Aviatorman

Comments

• cadman88cadman88 Member Posts: 75
    Next Grand Am is supposed to get a hard top convertible version for 25K. Also a 225-plus turbo V6.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    This was posted on one of the other GP forums a while back. I was seriously considering a 2003 GTP but based on what I have read/seen on the 2004 GP and the New GTO coming I decided to wait.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/04GP.htm
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    If it's not up to your high "personal standards" then don't buy it and go buy the Aveo you like so much.
  • alahirialahiri Member Posts: 17
    Pontiac is poorly rated as far re-sale value is concerned. Hope GM will stop offering 0% APR on this new vehicle and do all it can to improve the re-sale value. If the re-sale value improves, I will look forward to adding a Grand Prix to my current fleet that consists of a 4WD 2Dr 99 Chevy Blazer (48K miles) and a 02 Mazda Protege LS (8K miles). If GM fails again to improve the re-sale value, I will go with a Honda Accord.
    I was surfing and found these photos posted by someone who shot them at the 2002 SEMA show in November. There is a mix of cars but many are of the 2004 GTP.

http://new.clubgp.com/sema2002/

Here is a link I picked up on one of these forums a while back. The Car Connection has photos and blurbs on highlights from the major auto shows. Currently they are covering the Detroit and LA shows.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5650&sid=173&n=156

This was on an ARI purchasing news report

2004 Grand Prix
    Initial date for orders Late Fall 2002
    Retail production begins February 3, 2003
    Fleet production begins May, 2003
    First fleet deliveries June / July 2003

Per the same Report 2003 GP production ends on February 15th.
  • stever_442stever_442 Member Posts: 1
    Rather than looking at the resale being low on the GA, (all used cars are low due to new car refi deals) , look at it as a gift to get a whale of a deal. I did. Just picked up a single owner 1999 Grand Am SE2 loaded and including the premium sound w/subwoofer, steering controls and CD , and 16" Alloys, spoiler and new Goodyears that is EXTREMELY clean for a ridiculous $4400 from a dealer !! Of course it already has 100K miles but they must be Highway miles.

So unless you are selling a car, the resale is immaterial. Get what you want and keep it or run the wheels off it.
  • mrtripodmrtripod Member Posts: 2
    Is it an 04 Grand Prix?

Here are some links to pictures of it!

http://new.clubgp.com/sema2002/

that is the board with all the picutres...

I want to know about the pictures of this car:

http://new.clubgp.com/sema2002/dscn0017.jpg

WHAT IS THAT?
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    It is the Pontiac Sunfire GXP show car from the 2002 SEMA show in Vegas. Check Pontiac's web site for concept car info. or http://media.gm.com for the SEMA info, search in Oct or Nov 2002.
  • mrtripodmrtripod Member Posts: 2
    Any idea when it can be purchased?
  • nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone have any info on what the next Grand Am (~2005) will look like and when it is coming out? I haven't seen any sneak pics. I wonder if GM plans to keep the base models price around 16/17k? The current "Gotham City" design is really getting old and tired - cladding or not. GM putting the Alero mirrors on it didn't help either. It isn't really noticeable, but when you do notice, you definately prefer the 99-early02 design (in my opinion).
  • sindibadsindibad Member Posts: 5
    Recently I bought a new 2004 Grand Prix, As of now I am enjoying the car and this is my 1st Grand Prix. While I am driving on the highway and reach the speed between 50k to 65k, I hear the wind wistle around the driver side.When I accelerate above 70 the wind noise some how slows down or disappears, this condition is not in windy weather, just slight wind. Is there something that can be done?

Thank you for any advise or ideas.

Frank
  • sindibadsindibad Member Posts: 5
    Any one who bought the new Grand Prix especially the GT2 notice any wind noise when you travel over 55k, especially on the highway, whether it is windy day or not. I am experiencing this issue.

Please let me know about your experience, what do you think, please drive the car on the highway and see for your self. Any idea or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you
    I have had wind noise on several vehicles in the past - most often it is a section of misaligned molding around the window.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    The new GA will come out as 2005MY. It will have only one engine, a V-6 for one year. the new series of engines will come out in 2006MY. I am supposed to see a mock up one in Sep. I will let you know.

The mirrors in 99 were causing wind noise. they took the hole out and made the mirrors attach directly to the door to eliminate the wind noise. There is a lot of cost cutting is going on among GM/FORD/Chrysler in 2002/2003 MY. Somehow they must finance the $3-4K rebates and 0% financing. One way to do that is to increase the price gradually and another way is to decontent the car. GM alone has had FIVE price increases in 2003MY.

They play the game of increasing the price right before end of the model year, then they have No price increase at the new MY introduction, then they start increasing it every two-three months.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Interesting read, check it out. I cant imagine purchasing a $31K vehicle with that interior though (even though it seems to be drastically improved). Overall, not an unfavorable review, but not exactly flattering. GM needs to start scoring with its mainstream offerings, or its going to wind up where Ford is now.

~alpha
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Ford knows how to design and build an interior, they just got off track some under Nasser and the Oval Taurus years...
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    GM KNOWS how to, they CHOOSE to use interiors like the one in the new cloth equipped Grand Prixs.

They had a choice, they chose that one.

I was looking to buy a Grand Prix again. I have a choice. I choose not to buy a Grand Prix now. That interior is the reason.

Choices have consequences, for them, for me, for us all.

Millions of small choices can have major impacts.
    my question would be, why does GM make that choice on 95% of the vehicles it sells?

As much as customers and the press beat them up for cheap and cheesy interiors (and have for like 20 years) why do THEY CONTINUE TO DO IT?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I feel like I'm hearing a broken record. I wonder if all the Honda forums are repetitive like this because of their blowing up 5-speed auto trannies which happen even on the regular none type S motors too.
    If you wonder, go look. And I bet those forums have more than 22 posts!
    Too much work ! That was me just wondering out loud, like why is the Volvo s60 still in the Future Vehicles section. :-)

Lets just hope Pontiac takes their g6 interior styling cues via Holden from their soon to be flagship GTO.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The reason they go cheap because probably they would raise the price up of the car alot if Gm decided to upgrade interiors in their cars.
    why would that matter if the fricking car needs 4000 plus in incentives just to generate showroom traffic?

If a cavalier had a nice interior maybe they wouldn't have to have 4 grand in incentives on it. Maybe the they would only have 2500 rebate and the car would actually sell better because it would be something people wanted vs. having to buy.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    The Cavilier is also heavily discounted because its based on a 20 year old platform also not just because of the interior. I have seen the interior of the current Cavilier and its alright. Chevy will becoming out with the Colbalt soon as the Cavilier replacement in the Chevy line-up so lets see how that sells. I think Chevy is doing ok because of SUV's and the Impala is selling well. I have seen the 04 Malibu in pictures and the exterior is nothing to get excited about. GM really needs to fix Pontiac though. Cadillac and Chevy are doing well though.
    Just curious, nothing against the GA, but I thought this was the GP board
  • bthecarpbthecarp Member Posts: 3
    I heard a rumor that the G6 is going to replace the GA is this true? If so I think it will be a much better car than the current GA or any GA for that matter.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    I haven't gone back and read all the posts here, but thought I would share this incase nobody has done so yet....

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6328&n=156,- 178&sid=178
    Unfortunately looks a lot taller than the g6 concept and the wheel wells/tire and wheels look small. Obviously the G6 concept was no lightly disguised production version but a different car. Headlights look about the same as Bu the way they stick out from the body.

Looks similar in profile to a Sebring sedan.

Hopefully this thing really is sporty and will be light on its feet/have handling dynamics similar or better than a TSX or Mazda 6.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I would think that it would at least have a better interior that is Toyota/Honda quality levels.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    http://media.gm.com a Sept 8th press release

Official name for the 2005 new model is "G6"
    Yep, that name had leaked out some time before. I guess now it is official. Thanks for the catch!
    Looks a little better. Though some will probably be turned off by the same old same old pontiac grille
    http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm

According to this article though there is no DOHC. LOL imagine a manual tranny on an OHV sport sedan! Woohoo rev to that 5500 RPM redline! Guess they are not trying to attract import sport coupe buyers.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    G6 was touted to be some great new car and the concept looked really cool. Now they are going to tell me that this ordinary looking thing is the G6?
    You would prefer it look like a Pontiac Aztec?
    I would prefer it looked somewhat similar to the concept and not a sebring with a grand am grille too.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    go look up G6 on Google. It is a sweet looking design.
    What I would really like and would have expected from Bob Lutz is at least an interior that is Toyota/Honda quality levels and a car that has a DOHC engine to attract some other import buyers. (I'm fine with whatever engine they put into a car as long as I like how I'm getting the power and whether the engine is fuel efficient enough for daily use.)
    "According to this article though there is no DOHC. LOL imagine a manual tranny on an OHV sport sedan! Woohoo rev to that 5500 RPM redline! Guess they are not trying to attract import sport coupe buyers"

looks like the accountants at GM won again!

5500 rpm redline, LOL! Lots of classic 'launch feel' from the aggressively geared throttle linkage!

the G6 concept was hot looking now this spy shot shows a car that is bland exterior like the base Mazda6.

So why get a G6 then? Just get the 6, it looks the same and the 6 will have superior mechanicals and interior.
    The accountants won against the engineers again! And that's what? The 600th time in a row?!
  • mongoose562mongoose562 Member Posts: 1
    You're going to rate a car that hasn't even come out yet... at least give it a chance to make it's mark. The production version hasn't even been released yet. Although I do like DOHC engines, I don't like the Asian DOHC engines because their torque curves are WEAK. There's nothin wrong OHV, just because it has a lower redline doesn't mean it's a weaker engine.
    no, they just poop out sooner.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    <<no, they just poop out sooner.>>

Says who?? RPM means nothing... tell me about the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and top speed. That is what counts, NOT RPM.

So then the Corvettes OHV engine only having a redline of 5600 rpm is BAD?? Boy do you have alot to learn!! BTW.. the base Corvette is 350hp @ 5600rpm. The Vette will outperform any DOHC motor. I believe the ZR1 originally had a DOHC motor but due to durability/reliabilty reasons, they went back to ohv. The new ZO6 OHV is 405 hp @ 6000rpm, pretty damn IMPRESSIVE for a OHV motor !! Nearly 71 hp per liter, not too bad!
    OHV engines are nice and light and don't add a ton of height to a motor as opposed to a DOHC motor. The 5.7L OHV engine in a ZO6 corvette is the same weight or LIGHTER then the 4 banger DOHC motor in the WRX...

The drawback of DOHC? Cost (more parts, more money), packaging (the cylinder head is bigger due to all the cams and valves up there), and maintenance (you have to adjust twice as many valves).

Both OHV and DOHC have their pluses and positives !!
    Both designs have their merit. OHV engines tend to make more torque and OHC engines tend to make more horsepower. Torque is the power you feel going from stoplight to stoplight in a city setting--the power to get the vehicle moving. Horsepower advantages have to do with top speed and passing power.
    Regfootball, OHV engines don't always "poop" out early.. you can NOT say a Corvette or GTP poops out early.. if you have ever driven one... they are both OHV...

I can tell you from experience that my OHV GTP will destroy my DOHC I30t, more powerfull.

I kind of think it's funny that my 3.8L OHV supercharged V6 gets better highway gas mileage then the 3.5L DOHC V6 in the I35.. 28 vs 26....
    They also never talk about the fact that the DOHC Japanese engines only generally peak at toque number well past the RPM range that normal people drive in

For example, explain this....A 175 hp 3.4L V6 in a Grand Am/Alero is faster than the 200hp 3.0L V6 in the 2002 Honda Accord.. 25more hp, yet slower?? LOL. Gear ratios and curb weight also can account for that too!

Its a matter of torque..
    The 3.0 Accord now makes 240hp, but only 212 torque @ 5000rpm.

Where as the 3.0 in my I30t makes 227hp but 217 torque at a more usable 4000 rpm. The I30t also uses a real metal timing chain, not the cheap rubber-band timing belt found on Honda's/Toyotas.

The 3.5L in the Oydssey even though rated at the same 240hp as the 3.0L in the accord is more powerfull, it makes 242 torque vs 212 torque.

HP ratings are misleading...Just as important is the TORQUE rating...

Notice on the new car or Maroney sticker on a V6 accord they list the Horsepower, BUT not the torque?? Hmm....

On my I30t new car sticker they listed BOTH !! Just like my GTP..
    The Honda S2000 is 240 hp but ONLy 162 torque!!

240 hp @ 7800rpm
    162 torque @ 6500rpm

The avg driver will never see that performance.. To get the fast 0-60 times it claims you have to dump the clutch at a high rpm off the line...

My GTP you can use alot more of the performance.

The 5.8 claims of the S2000 are really about 7 seconds.. for the avg driver