Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• How fast were youtaking a corner!?

was it raining or something? Let me tell you, if i have a new car, i would baby is sooo much that the suspension would barely need to travel.

a guy on the G6owners club also was driving his brand new G6 and got into a crash, admitting he went too fast and missed a turn.

IMO you have to be very rich, very unfortnuate or a mix of the two to get a brand new car all screwed up like that.

And its easy to blame the car, yet 10000000% of the accidents on the road could have been prevented by either of the drivers.

Thank Goodness you didn't hurt yourself.
  • boxer4626boxer4626 Posts: 6
    yes i know... i must admit its a very safe car. when i crashed i didnt even know i had crashed really until i looked up... i mean i hit a tree and slid into a ditch but it wasnt like i was flying all over the cockpit.... i never even jerked out of the seat hard at all...... yes it had been raining for 2 weeks and the road was very wet and after i took the corner i hit the gas a little to hard in the rain and it just slid right off the road..... according to my dad.... there is just body work and some hoses need to be replaced.... nothing with the engine or exhaust or undercarriage thank goodness.... but will my car be like brand new when i get it back?
  • Well, from what i know as long as the undercarriage, engine, and other sensetive parts of the car were not hurt you should get your car back as good as new.

However, make sure that when they put it back together that everything alligns properly. Most mechanics to my knowledge don't have all of the high tech stuff they do in the factory to make sure all parts are even.

I hope your car comes back to you as new as it can, but no matter what you should realize that its a repair. Let us know what happens :)

Hey, i was curious, did you cross shop the car with anything else, and what lead you to buy the Pontiac over anything else you looked at? Thanks.
  • bigbob5bigbob5 Posts: 1
    yes it can, I just picked up a G6 base model last Friday and on the base model, the only one that has the 4 cyl. echo tech 2.4 engine, there is only one option available, that is the rear deck spoiler? I was only interested in cruise and keyless entry, since it is standard w/ power window locks mirrors trunk cd am/fm w/6speakers, driver information center, a/c, 4 wheel disc, 16" tires, automatic, and power height adjust driver seat w/manual lumbar and length adj. It had everything else I wanted, the cruise was $150.00 for neat little steering wheel mounted wireless unit and $189.00 for the keyless entry, which does everything the factory one does except flash my lights when I use it. We put 600mi. on it and it works great, except to open the trunk you must hold the button down for about 2 full seconds to activate the trunk release? for less than $350.00 I can live with that! Oh and am averaging 33.5mpg with 672 total miles on the engine. I expect better after a few thousand mi. and will change to synthetic oil at first service!! would like all. rims. hope this helps VERY PLEASED THUS FAR!!!
  • tim66tim66 Posts: 22
    I think the 2 second hold on the trunk release is a safeguard so you don't pop the trunk if you accidently hit the button. My base model had the Driver's Package that included adj pedals,floor mats, alloy wheels,keyless entry and cruise. This added $650.. :D
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who own a car which has cylinder deactivation technology and is happy/unhappy with the fuel mileage it receives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 3, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and what car you own.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati

Corporate Communications

Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• vitavita Posts: 10
    i have the same noise (1SV - 2006 sedan). my brakes also squeal. nothing major, i have a feeling it's the play in the wheel covers making the cricket sound. i'm going to have them take a gander when i bring it in for an oil change. other than those 2 minor noise issues, she's been great so far (4600 miles)...
  • We have an '05 G6 with the 3.5L V6, sunroof, traction control, and ABS. Right now, it has around 12,900 miles. We purchased it last April and we very pleased because we got a $1000 rebate and very attractive financing. On June 8th, 2005 less that two months of ownership of the G6, my partner left for work only to come back and say the car was completely dead. We called roadside assistance and had it towed in. It had 1,701 miles on it. The problem, they said, was a cross-threaded negative cable bolt and it fried the battery. They fixed it, replaced the battery, and were out of there in an hour. That was great. In August of 2005, I took it back for an oil and filter change and to have for a recall - the harmonic balancer checked. Mileage was 3,865. I have taken it two other times for just regular oil changes and tire rotations; however, we've developed a couple other problems and cannot get the Pontiac dealers to address them.

Off and on, since we've had the vehicle, it will seem almost as if the ignition sticks. It sounds very funny, but the car always cranks. We told the service advisor and were treated as if we were nuts. I have ready another post where someone has experienced this as well. Also, there is a loud racket from the trunk. It sounds like something in the rear suspension. It sounds like there is stuff in the trunk, but there isn't anything. We are taking it to another dealership because the first one said they checked and everything was "tight" in the rear of the vehicle. The next dealership said that they couldn't duplicate the problem. So, we rode with the tech and he heard the noise. We were then told they would have to take out the backseat, this and that, blah, blah. They all but said they didn't want to mess with it. My partner opted not to spend his entire Friday afternoon at a dealership that obviously could care less, so he told them to forget it. I'm taking it tomorrow and if that's the story that I get. I'm going to tell them to take it apart piece by piece if they must, but we didn't invest $20K plus in a car to listen to what sounds like the rear end coming apart.

The other issue we have is the steering. It makes a terrible racket when you are turning in parking lots or at low speeds. It may be that possibly the steering boot needs more grease. One of the techs told us that was "the newness wearing out." HONESTLY.

I really like the G6. It is very stylish, powerful, and efficient. It, honestly, is perfect for me. I have to say, however, this will be the last GM product for our household. We are both perfectionists with our cars and we are just displeased with the quality of service we have received from the GM dealers. We also purchased an '05 Trailblazer and had the same go around with the Chevrolet dealership. I kept it six months and sent it on the one-way trip. The quality of the vehicle was terrible. Nothing major, just constant annoying little problems and very annoying service department employees. We were so glad to see it go. We're having the same feelings with the G6

Hopefully, I can get this problem with the noise in the trunk and the steering noise resolved. I sent a complaint to Pontiac and haven't heard from them either.
  • polishedpolished Posts: 6
    I AM HAVING NOISE FROM THE STRUT HOUSING HITTING THE FIREWALL....4TH TIME IN THE DEALER...ANYONE ELSE...RATTLES AT THE DASH COMING FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT...THEY TRIED SPRAY BODY FOAM LAST TIME AND THE NOISE IS STILL THERE...ANYONE ELSE???
    2006 G6 4 door sedan... I am getting a rattle noise from the strut hitting the firewall....that is what the dealer is telling me...this is the 4th time the car has been in the shop for the rattle...they replaced the strut (twice), then the steering gear box...now they have sprayed liquid body filler to stop the rattle and it is still there. They say it is a poor design the strut top is too close th ethe firewall...help ...anyone else
    go to the dealer have them take the car apart and tell you whats wrong... at the dealership you need to be persistent and you need to be like this "look i bought this car ___ long ago and this noise started about ___ long ago... this car isn't even broken in yet it has 12,000 miles on it now i want you guys to fix this otherwise there will be a problem." and if he gives you any crap you need to just lay it on the table for him... thats how you deal with a dealership.
    I have been to the dealer 4 times, the last instruction from GM was take parts off and replace till you find the rattle...they then came up with the idea of putting body filler between the firewall and the strut top, I drove it 50 miles and heard the rattle again...back it went, I am in my 4th rental car. They say it is poor design or when assembeld something went on wrong. I asked for a car that does not rattle...thats all waiting for a call from local GM rep.
    well... 1. how many miles are on the car? 2. have you been working your car? meaning leaning into corners hitting the gas hard burning rubber stuff of that nature? 3. get nasty with them... remember this is a dealership and you bought a car from them they cant just tell you to leave... if it was a private organization they could but a pontiac dealership cant do that... a dealership is outragious to begin with so you can do whatever you want. pound ur fist against the table throw papers at the guy whatever it takes to make him realize ur there until he fixes ur car.... samething with buying a car.. when the dealer starts to get outragious i just stand up and start to yell and make my way to the door.... when he tries to calm me i tell him.. "look this is what i want im not going to sit here and play ur games you can either give me this or im leaving" you need to do something along those lines... also talk to the manager get the higher people involved but be polite when you talk to them and if they are outragious then u can be outragious... tell me if that helps :)
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Also check out your state's lemon laws...typically if you bring something back to the dealer X number of times within X time period you'll qualify under that. Even if you're not there yet, getting close enough to threaten that could help your case too!
  • mavoituremavoiture Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen a good picture of the new blue/gold crystal metallic color for the 2007 G6 conv?
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    Pontiac has not updated the site for the 2007 model yet. They have added info for the '07 G5 and Solstice though. I assume the updates will be coming soon.
  • Ya, a buddy of mine just bought a G6, and I gotta tell you I fell in love with that car. Before he got one, I had seen pictures, and thought it was a nice enough car, but figured the interior was only average. Well after actually riding in one, let me tell you, it is first rate. That is one NICE car. The interior is beautiful. It's black leather, and all the controls and center stack and everything impressed me very much. Also, this car handles very very well, and while the 3.5 liter engine is only rated at 201 hp, its got 222 lb ft of torque, so that things got some get up and go. My buddy was planning on buying a Sonata, but saw a used G6, and took it for a drive, and was just so impressed with the interior, the way it drove, and the power even compared to the Sonata with 230 hp, but around same torque, that he bought the G6. I have to compliment GM on a job well done with this car, and it seems that hopefully more ppl are starting to realize what a gem it is. Also, one other good thing about it is that it looks very small, but get inside, and its very spacious.
  • Hey woodsy1...
    Any luck getting your problem fixed? I just recently purchased a G6 and the exact same issue is happening for me. Fuel gauge works fine until 1/4 tank, then it drops real fast. Last 1/8 tank on the gauge only lasts 6 or 7 miles.
    I havent noticed the fuel gauge issue
    The dealer "remove & replaced various parts"
    The strut, steering gear, gear box etc.." they then came up with the idea of spraying body filler between the strut housing box and the firewall, they also said the "adjusted the firewall". The clearance between the two is to close from the factory and at certain times it causes the "rattling" noise, they cant fix it (I think) so body filler for now is a fix.
    I figure when this starts to happen to more G6 owners it will lead to a recall, especially because I see alot of G6 becoming Rental Cars. Take it to your dealer NOW , the longer you wait the harder it is to get them to fix it. The more G6 owners that take it in the sooner we can get our cars fixed properly. This is the second G6 to have this rattle in my area.
  • gganszggansz Posts: 1
    hello,
    noticed that this was posted last year, i too have been looking for locking gas cap, have you found one? i am not worrying about what or if someone can get out but what someone might put in tank, thanks
  • I bought a G6 GTP w/mannual transmission 12/12/05. I have been to the dealer on eight seperate occasions for repairs and the car has be out of service at the dealer for around 30 days with only 7500 miles on it. The sunroof (not panoramic)has leaked twice. The last time it ruined the carpet which had to be replaced. I have lost reverse twice, the last time they had to replace the shifter. The parking brake failed, the recirculating actuator had to be replaced, the the check engine light has come on twice and the last time they had to update the the software on the ECU.

The thing that just blows me away is how Pontiac treats this. I spoke to two different Pontiac District Mangers and they both told me that they were just start up problems. One of them told me that he had only seen one other G6 that had the kind of problems mine was having. I asked for a replacment vechicle and he refused. I told him I was considering going to the State to start the lemon law process. He just said it wasn't like I was having major problems like my engine blew up or the transmission broke down and the car left me on the side or the rode so just fill out the paperwork and I could talk to the lawyers.

I understand that you can't manufacture thousands of cars without making a few bad ones. I like my car, it's a head turner, the MPG on the road is good (+30 MPG in 6th gear at 1500 RPMs which is 55 MPH) and it handles well which is why I asked for a replacement not a repurchase. What just totally FROSTS me is what I percieve as Pontiac's lack of concern over customer satifaction and the quality of their product. The dealership even called and tried to convice the District Manager into replacing the car. My perception of their attitude is you get what you bought and if it doesn't work that is your tough luck. If you don't like it take us to court. The inconvienance of having to take it to the dealer (on average once a month) so frequently is becoming a burden. They give me a loaner but I still have to make arrangements with work and family, etc. I am rapidly approaching the point where I wish I had not purchased the car. My son has a 95 Eclipse with over 160K miles on it and it has a better repair record than my G6. He now refers the the car as that American Piece of junk. When I end up with the loaner because my car is being repaired at the dealership my neighbors come over and tease me asking if I've bought a new vehicle. This is flat embarrasing!
  • Hey guys. I'm looking for an agressive (but subtle) tone for my car. I do NOT want to sound like a 4-banger with a coffee can exhaust setup, buzzing around like a weed eater. I want an agressive, defined tone. Is there such a thing available for a v6? I know it won't sound like a V8, but my buddies chevy 1500 sounds great with his flowmaster 40, but it's a larger engine (4.x)

What are your recommendations and does anyone have any sound clips of an aftermarket exhaust in a real-world scenario (not something like at the autozones and advance auto parts stores where you push a button and it plays a computer-generated tone)
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    Really sorry to hear that. I never thought District Manager are so brainless. You should try to get on his nerve, maybe he`ll break and give you a new car. I had a friend that had a '05 Volvo S40 (the last model) and after 10k he got really angry because of the "his" he was experiencing at high-way speeds. And after numerous attempts to repair the vehicle at 3 dealerships (which were unsuccessful), he actually got a new car. But he had to talk with a lot of people to do it and really push on their nerves. But eventually he did it, I`m sure you will succeed too, just try more! They are going to give you a new car, trust me! :)

BTW, all the action took place in Toronto, and I don`t think we have a "lemon law".

Good luck in fighting with Pontiac!
  • If they would just put more into customer service, meybe they would have more customers. If he is having problems with his car, and they can't fix it, they need to vale him as a possible returning customer, and the best way to do that, would be to replace his car, no questions asked.

This way, the customer looks beyond the bare bones features and specs of a car, but the ownership experience, that would be valued above all others. This is a good car, but mismanagment can ruin everything.
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    yeah you`re absolutely true. I would definitely buy a car from a guy that treats me well, and not like "hey, it's just 1 car" type of guy. It seems Pontiac is not to great at this chapter, but I cannot generalize this, maybe it's just one guy, same way... maybe not. Well, I hope this doesn't apply to all GM brands, 'cause I'm gonna try my luck my the new Aura, I'll see what I'll get. :)
  • pecclespeccles Posts: 52
    The '07 Malibu with the same 3.5L as the '07 Pontiac G6 still gets 32/22 mpg while the G6 only gets 29/20. The difference is Hydraulic Power Steering for the G6 while the Malibu retains its Electric Power Steering. I haven't compared the two steering mechanisms but HPS needs be much better to justify a 10% mpg reduction.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    It's not just that, the G6 is very heavy. The Malibu is lighter.
  • pecclespeccles Posts: 52
    The G6 weighs 140lbs more than the Malibu. However the base '06 G6 with the 3.5L had electric power steering and
    got 32/22 mpg. Both the Malibu and G6 have a 3.29 axle-ratio and 4 spedd auto trans.
  • I wish you well trying to get general motors to fix your problem. i have a 2006 g6 with the panoramic sunroof and it's been in the shop 7 times for a leak and major wind noise. the dealer says it can't be fixed and the noise is not normal. general motors says it's normal. i have invited them down to ride in my car and tell me if they still think it's normal. so far, they offer to let me pay 5700.00 for them to take my car back and leave me with no car. the other option they give me is to pay them a "usage fee of 1250.00" and they will exchange it for another car. Neither of those options sound like a good idea to me. I'm so frustrated i dont' know what to do. It affect the resale greatly. I first took it in when it had only 2500 miles on it, now it has 8000 and it gets worse each time they try to fix it.
    General Motors doesn't care about their customer service at all. Search the internet and check the blogs to see what people are saying. I believe in strength in numbers. eventually if enough people scream loud enough they will stand behind their product or go out of business.

If anyone has suggest on how to handle this or would like to share their story with me so i can share them all with general motors , please email me at joanelmore@yahoo.com
  • I have a 2006 G6 with the panoramic sunroof. It has horrible wind noise. It's been in the shop 7 times now, 2 different shops, they have had to replace the head liner because the roof leaked. I finally filed with the BBB Autoline. General Motors says it's normal wind noise. I have invited them to please come ride in this and then tell me their opinion. They offered to trade my car if i pay them $1250.00 usage fee or they said i can pay the $2000.00 rebate (they kept the rebate to begin with) and the $3700.00 i was upside down in my trade. So for only $5700.00 i can give them back my car and have nothing to drive. Neither of these options are suitable to me. General Motors just kinda laughs and says "oh well, we think the roof is just noisy, they all are". I think one day we will see a class action law suit against these roofs because general motors has no fix or the problem.

Does anyone out ther know what i should do? I don't want to be out another dime. I just want them to replace my car with one that is not a lemon. If i file lemon law on the car ... the law says that general motors would be due a usage fee. I feel i pay this fee each month when i make my payment. I need help with this problem. Any suggestions at all would help.

If you have had this problem or another problem with general motors then please email me at joanelmore@yahoo.com and share your story with me. Thanks