Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• waitinfor06ionwaitinfor06ion Member Posts: 32
    Hi, Steve, Host.

I did read your link. Thank you.

You've confirmed what's been written elsewhere that it IS the additives that make the difference between name brands.

As for me, 5,000 miles before changing additives will take forever. So far, I average around a 100 miles a month :D

As has been said in someonelse's signature tag line: "Your mileage will vary."

J K F
  • jcbama85jcbama85 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if it is possible to track the status of a factory ordered Equinox? My company ordered me one in June. I've received a notice telling me it will be shipped soon and I have the VIN number.

I called the dealer where it is being shipped to and they said they had no way to track it because my company ordered it through our fleet management company. The guy there actually seemed put off by the situation, as he said "I'd be able to help you more if you had ordered it through us directly." I work for a Fortune 500 company that has hundreds of lease vechicles, so that is not an option, as we have a fleet management company that handles this for us. I realize he won't make much $ on this deal, but my company sends quite a few vehicles to this dealer, so you'd think he would want to be a little more helpful.

I thought there might be a website where I could put the VIN number into and see the status. Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Full Test: 2006 Pontiac Torrent AWD (Inside Line)

Talk about it in the Pontiac Torrent discussion.

Steve, Host
  • frost1frost1 Member Posts: 1
    I have found my Equinox to have a lot of play in steering plus front passenger wheel shakes going over small bumps at slow speed. I don't feel I have total control over the vehicle
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I like the dash / wheel of the Torrent. I wish it was a little more different over all than the Equinox though.
  • jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    Researched the Equinox today. Mileage is not too good with the old 3.4 engine. I wonder if they used the "new" 3.5 engine that's going into the new Impala would mileage increase 3 or 4 mpg?
  • luv_my_noxluv_my_nox Member Posts: 14
    Purchased our New LT FWD Equinox Jan 31. MFG date: 1/05. Equipped with Sunroof and Leather. After over 5000 miles and about 6 months I am happy to report no problems. I'm impressed with the paint, build, fit and finish. It is a nice looking vehicle. Received lots of compliments. My wife loves it. I'm impressed with the ride, handling, and acceleration. Transmission is smooth and responsive. Currently getting about 20 mpg combined and 26 highway. Yes, 26mpg.
    My past GM vehicles ran 180,000 miles before selling them in VG condition.

The RAV 4 and Honda CRV looks outdated when parked next to our Equinox.
    Their spoilers looks like an after thought!

Sales are topping 17,000 Equinoxes a month!!!

"What makes it even better" Equinox problems are much less than the 2004-05 Lexus RX330. Brake Failures and Transmission problems are occurring. Equinox problems are also much less than the 2003-04 Nisson Murano's CVT transmission problems and leaks. Power steering problems. Oh, by the way, if the Murano's alternator fails, it will leave you stranded. It's been a common occurrence. Most vehicles will get you to a safe location with a failed alternator. Check it out, it's all posted at the NHTSA web site (complaints and recalls) and on Edmunds Postings
    Now, I am glad that I did not buy a Lexus RX330 or Murano.

Luv my Nox :D
  • lazerblue31649lazerblue31649 Member Posts: 8
    I totaly agree with you about our little Equinox. I have the lazer blue and I get alot of compliments. I liked the style of the Murano and the Lexus. However, I think the lexus was a little pricey for me so I stayed with the Equinox. Since I have had mine I compare it with the Lexus and I would not trade mine for the world.
    I just sold my Cougar last year in May when I bought this car. I had 72,000 miles on it. That car gave me absoulutely no problems. It was a 1987. The reason I sold is was obvious I WANTED A NEW ONE . LOL LOL .
    My husband drives a GMC Yukon. He loves that too. Mine has the moon roof also and a 6 cd player along with the heated seats and leather. I do not think I could ever go back to a reg. car again after driving this. By the way mine is an AWD. I had alot of fun with it this winter .
    I just love this SUV :):):):)
  • toga333toga333 Member Posts: 11
    What's the deal, with my research on th '06 Equinox continuing, I have noticed that the fuel economy ratings have been changed?! How can an engine/transmission combo that does not change from 1 year to the next be rated lower? Here are the stats:
    05 AWD FWD/AWD: 19/25..........06 FWD:19/24 AWD: 18/23.
    Maybe GM decided to lower the ratings due to the uproar over actual mileage customers were getting on the '05's were mid teens.
    I checked the gear ratios on both years, yup the same? Is this fair to everyone that bought an '05?
    I realize AWD will always get lower mileage (due to more wheels being powered), but who am I to disagree when Chevy/EPA says either drivetrain option would result in 19city 25highway. Well reality showed it's ugly face and it proves that original theory right, 18/23! maybe I'll check out the Saturn Vue (So long as their fuel economy doesn't change!)
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I don't think you can blame it on GM, as it's the government that decides the gas mileage ratings that are put on the sticker.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "In the 1980s, an EPA study found that drivers were typically achieving lower fuel economy than predicted by EPA laboratory tests. As a result, EPA required the laboratory-derived city and highway MPG estimates posted on the labels of new vehicles to be adjusted downward by 10 percent for city estimates and by 22 percent for highway estimates to better reflect the MPG real-world drivers can expect."

Fuel Economy Guide

Steve, Host
  • babyblue2babyblue2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new car. I currently drive a Tahoe and obviously need/want something with better gas mileage. Have 2 kids and am used to the space of a large SUV. Anyone out there hauling around kids in an Equinox? Just wondering if it's family friendly.
    2 kids are fine but you won't have nearly the space in the back of a NOX vs a Tahoe. As long as you are ok with that.. should be fine.
    babyblue, in addition to what vanman1 said, don't forget that the Equinox rear seat(s) WILL slide forward and backward about 6-7 inches which is alot more than what some vehicles can say.

J K F
  • worry2muchworry2much Member Posts: 14
    I have an 05/AWD. I am getting 19-20 straight city driving (between 20-21 combo) and 25-26 hwy. My vehicle has comfortably settled into these figures. It currently has 7200 miles on it. Now if my husband drives it...you can substract some MPG from these figures. He tends to be more of an aggressive driver and my Equinox does not like that. Even though it has some issues, I am happy with it. I checked out the Vue and knew it would get better MPG but it was SO cheap looking (expecially the interior) that the Equinox won over. I did go thru some doubt the first couple of months but it now has earned "a pat on dashboard" every morning when I get out in the morning when I go to work. The only other vehicle got that was my Subaru. I do feel that this vehicle is very sensitive to how it is driven. My husband has proved that and this may be what is going on with those who are getting lower fuel economy.
    RE: "pat on the dashboard".

My father's `98 Chevy Lumina (Betsy) likes to have her dash patted after having a hard time. :D

If she's contrary about starting; she gets called "Ford". Talk about Betsy starting promptly at the next key turn! LOL

I also Internet researched Saturn's VUE vs Chevrolet Equinox. However, I don't really "need" 250 horses for stop and go city driving in my neighborhood.

`Am enjoying my easy ingress and egress seating.

J K F
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter with a major daily newspaper is looking to speak with people who’ve purchased a crossover/sports wagon in the last few months. Specifically, vehicles like the Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, Ford Freestyle, Ford Escape, Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, or Toyota Highlander.

If you have, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, September 27, 2005 with your daytime contact information and a brief description of your recent crossover/sport wagon purchase experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mike104mike104 Member Posts: 2
    I HAD A NEW 2005 LT AND GOT RID OF IT SINCE I WAS TIRED OF HAVING TO MAKE FIVE IN WARRANTY TRIPS TO THE DEALER. THIS THING WAS THE WORST INVESTMENT I HAVE EVER MADE AND I AM GLAD THAT IT IS NOW GONE. I EVEN TOLD GM THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE IT BACK TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY ARE MAKING.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore postings written in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    1st time poster, hard to know if it's even real.
  • noxonnoxon Member Posts: 6
    I finally picked up my new 06. It is FWD, LT2, everything but the XM radio. I love it! It is so comfortable to drive. The 7 speaker sound system is awesome. Everything about it just suits my needs (two kids in college). I only have 300 miles on it so I will be monitoring the gas mileage, as this seems to be of some issue. It is Black Amethyst Metallic. Some say it looks black, some purple, some like "chocolate". The color does change with different lighting. Anyway, I hope it serves me well for the next few years. Noxon :)
    P.S. Thanks to all who posted. I read them all and enjoyed and learned. I hope to contribute again.
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    I currently own an '05 and decided to take a look at the '06.
    I also notice no '05's left on the lots.
    Not a whole lot of changes to the it other than the way options and price is structured.
    Two things that stood out were change in color of the front dash panels from grey to black and fan, heating & A/C controls.
    I think that the original grey panels gave the dash a better look and the original center counsol was better laid out.
    The black panels make the dash look too dark.
    I also didn' see the leather shifter on '06 either.
    The Equinox is still a nice overall looking vehicle even for 2006.
    but, I think I'll keep my ' 05 Nox.
  • noxonnoxon Member Posts: 6
    General Motors decided to color code the side mirrors for 06. I like the blended look. It also makes for an easy distinguishing mark between 05 and 06 at a glance. noxon
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    Congrats on your new Nox!
    Let us know your fuel economy.
    I have a FWD Silver LT.
    I've been getting 20 mpg combined (50/50) and 26 mpg on the highway.
    Thats a nice touch on the mirrors.
    I also noticed a difference in the rocker panels too.
    JD
  • eldradeldrad Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to get my 2 cents out there for any potential buyers (I don’t expect any change)

1) Why the Equinox? Well, I just boat a 16 foot, 1500 lb. fishing boat and my 1999 Subby outback 4 cyl wasn’t cutting it. Was really straining to pull it on the hiways. So I needed a 6 cyl. I really loved my Subby but Subaru America simply priced me out of that model. Nothing below 30K! What a dumb move on their part.

So my buddy, who researches everything, told me how much he liked his new Equinox (though he did warn of bad blind spots). I Test drove a 1 year old used 2005 with 14k miles on. The dealer, a family friend gave me a GREAT trade value on my Subby so I had to do the deal. It drove fine, room enough for the kids in back, same (or very close) MPG as my aging Subby, and a great deal. What’s not to like

2) Well....there is apparently a lot not to like. I though I would transition better to the difference in creature comforts and layout but so far, not so good.

a) Trunk: The cargo space is considerably smaller than the Subby, surprising since it’s nearly the same dimensions. The wheel wells consume a lot of cargo area.

b) Cargo shelf. What seemed like a good idea, turned out to be useless. When the shelf is up (highest setting) I logically place things on it. However, those things slide to the back when driving. Because of a gap between the rear of the shelf and the tailgate, when you open the gate, everything falls out! It takes plastic man to reach under with one hand to prevent falling, while lifting the gate with the other. And if your cargo is heavy, close the door, squeeze into the back seat and pull the load off the door, other wise it’s all over the ground
    Also, the cargo area is small when compared to the Subby. Who would have thunk?

c) Shelf - part II: When the shelf is up, there is no light under the shelf so you can’t see anything. Simply a dumb design. Put a light under there GM

d) Passenger handles: above-the-window grips. How much could it possibly cost to install these? $10 each. C’mon GM, get on the ball GM. And why no floor mats. Please a little respect for us.

e) Center console. Nice to have to large cup holders in the Console. However, because the holders are on the flip-up arm rest, you can’t flip it up to get to your stuff (wallet, directions, purse etc) with full drinks. Duh.

f) Site lines: I live in the city and do A LOT of parallel parking. I am not too proud to say I am very good at it. However the site lines on this Equinox, make it v difficult to park this car. Example: the rear/cargo side windows are 1) obstructed by the second row head rests and 2) are not large enough so that you can see the tail of the car on which you’re basing your “cut”. It’s pure guess work.

g) Radio: What’s the deal with always reverting to the ROCK equalizer setting. I prefer the brighter JAZZ preset, yet every time I change stations, it reverts to the bloated rock sound. And the general design of the unit is awkward. It amazes me that after about 60 years of putting radios in cars, we haven’t arrived at radio interface that at the very least is logical?

h) Headlights: What’s with these Day Light Running Lights. What an awful idea, because I can never turn my lights off. At the risk of sounding creepy, there are times where I want my headlights off while I am pulling over (e.g. maybe I have to pee on the road side, or I don’t want the light blaring in my mothers face when I pull up to her house.)

k) Door Locks: why, when I use my key to open the door, does the car start beeping and pinging louder & louder until the horn starts blaring? After all I used the key to enter the car, not a sledge hammer. I thought I turned off this “feature” but it always comes back on. I have to hurry and start the car to avoid the noise.. Who does this benefit.

l) beeps, boings & bings: I can’t find a pattern in the sounds the car makes when the drive door is open. Sometimes silent, sometime noisy. Doesn’t matter if key is in ignition, or lights are on, or neither. It has a mind of its own. Again, an over-engineered “feature”

m) Headlights: You mean to tell me the headlights don’t turn off when the car is off. WTF?

n) Minor point. Does any one really use the nickel & dime holders? What parking meter takes nickels and dimes? Make them all quarter-holders.

o) No navigation lights. If I need inside light, there is only the over head light, which when on waked my sleeping children.

p) Sun visors: you can not push them all the way fwd to be against the windshield, they flop down, thus greatly * dangerously limiting your view. I have to slouch down when I use them because they cut off too much of the horizon.

q) Brake pedal is too high. Cant drive barefoot because only my big toe reach the brake pedal, and I am a size 12 ½

THE GOOD
    a) very decent gas mileage for a SUV. Both Hwy & City are in the 20 mpg
    b) roomy in the front
    c) decent power, no issues pulling the boat.

anyhow, thanks for listening
  • cokekillercokekiller Member Posts: 3
    These are all common complaints. I noticed all of these also. Hopefully GM reads this forum. Overall I like the car though. It suits my purposes.

I get 20/25 with 50/50 mix of driving with my AWD.

Oh, by the way, there is a navigation light. Try pressing on the lights above the center console.
  • heybradyheybrady Member Posts: 75
    Couple of thoughts:

b) Cargo Shelf - I agree this is somewhat useless, but GM did something smart in making one side carpeted and flat, while the other is plastic and has raised edges. My wife drives the Nox 90% of the time, but she seems to put things on the shelf, plastic side up, and does not have problems with cargo sliding off. Is your shelf on the "right side"?
    d) Oh Sh*t Handles - I agree. Would be nice to have. Real surprised not too see them in an suv, as most cars these days even have them. Not sure if the 06 has them or not.
    f) Site Lines - The wife's 05 has the big headrests that make for terrible lines. However, for the 06, GM reverted back to MUCH smaller headrests that pretty much eliminate the problem. I would bet that 05 and 06 headrests are interchangable. I bet you could go to dealer or most likely online to get smaller headrests. For a few bucks it would make a big difference.
    g) Radio - When you set the preset, it also saves the equ setting. So set to the Equalizer setting you want, then hold the preset button to save.
    i) Door Locks - I believe the keyless entry system is also a very basic alarm. If you lock the car with the remote, it expects to be unlocked with the remote. Not to nitpick, but why would you use a key when you can just press the remote button to unlock?
    m) Headlights - I agree. I hate DRL and the fact that they are always on. I was waiting to pick up food last night, and since the lights would not turn off, I ended up lighting up the whole inside of Fridays.
    n) Coin Holders - Pointless in my opinion. Especially since each one holds maybe 4 or 5 coins. That maybe gets you an hour of parking at the most, and you are right, nickel/dimes are worthless.
    q) Brake Pedal - I agree, it is slightly high. To each their own. My wife doesnt notice it, because her feet are too small to drive most carswith her brake foot on the ground. I would bet many women have this problem.

GOOD

a) The gas mileage is pretty good for an SUV. Alot of people complain because they get 18-20, and those in CRV or RAV get 25 or so. What most dont realize, is the NOX is much bigger than either (18 inches longer than RAV, 8 longer than CRV). A NOX is about the same size as a late 1990's Explorer, so cut it a little slack.
    b) Lots of room for passengers, both front and back. While trunk space is compromised a bit by the struts, I would trade that off for the extra space for the second row and front row. I dont have kids (yet) but would bet that the extra space in the second row makes everyone happier on long trips. I am 6 foot 2, and this is one of the few cars that I dont have to move the driver seat as far back as it goes.

Just my .02, take it for what its worth. BTW, 10k miles in 5 months, no problems to report, getting about 20mpg overall (50/50). Enjoy
    Oh, and by the way, you arent living until you fold the front passenger seat flat, then sit in the back seat with your legs stretched out. Very nice.
    LOL. Good point for the fold-flat front seat with Daddy Long Legs sitting in the back seat.

J K F :D
  • misty8misty8 Member Posts: 15
    OnStar offers a program with Verizon Wireless through which you can link the two plans, use the hands free capability of the OnStar system, share the minutes between the in-vehicle calling feature and your Verizon Wireless digital phone and get just one bill for all calls. When I tried to set it up I was advised by OnStar that I had the wrong equipment in my 05 Equinox. My system is analog which may become obsolete and become inoperable when all wireless phone systems go digital in about two years. Some Equinoxes came equipped with digital, some did not. This was not disclosed to me when I purchased the vehicle. OnStar told me that my analog system is upgradable to a digital system and that I should work through my dealer for the upgrade. My dealer is clueless on this. I have contacted them numerous times but they're still scratching their heads. Has anyone upgraded to digital, and if so, how did you do it?
  • acruzakacruzak Member Posts: 2
    Im planning to have new SUV but cannot decide which one is worth value for my sweat money. I have second thought about NOX having large windshield which AC will have prob to get cool/heat fast, brittle or easily damage cup holder, brake drums on rear wheel, low gas mileage,and limited braking safety issues plus all the negative issues raised on this forum. On the otherhand, CRV has limited interior space corresponds on its small size but it has all the advantage I had mentioned above. I'd never test drive both of them to compare the speed and smooth acceleration. Can somebody tell me the difference of the two based by experience.
    I admit NOX has great style appearance that's why he still holding on in my list.
    I dont have much experience with the CRV, but I can touch on the Nox. Your concerns about the A/C performance are probably unwarranted. There have been many times this summer where I have taken trips, both long and short, where the A/C on the lowest fan setting was too cold. We looked at the CRV before buying the Nox for the wife and found the Nox to be a better value. Our Nox was 20,500 with GM employee deal while a CRV with same features was about 24,500. To me, a couple grand is no big deal, but 4000 (25% of cost) makes me think twice. That combined with the CRV, in terms of size and space, essentially being a Civic raised off the ground a few inches, gave the nod to the Nox all the way.
  • jcbama85jcbama85 Member Posts: 7
    I ordered a 06 LT AWD Equinox through my company's fleet provider. Black, with grey cloth, sunroof, and MP3/Single CD stereo.

So far I like it a lot more than I thought I would. When I accepted this job I was told I would have a choice of company cars between the Chrysler 300, Pontaic Grand Prix, Ford 500, and Chevy Impala. I was pretty disappointed when we changed lease companies and my only options were GM cars. After renting an Equinox LS, I decided to go with the Equniox.

It's the perfect company car. It doesn't look like every other company car on the road (Impala and Taurus), has lots of room in the back seat and the storage area. It has a very refined ride and feels great on the interstate. It rides much better than my wife's Ford 2002 The V-6 seems to have enough power for my particular use. My coworkers wish they could trade their Impalas on one.

It is quite stylish and looks a lot like the Lexus and Acura SUVs. Not near the features of them, but it looks great.

The stereo is suprisingly good and the audio controls on the steering wheel is a nice touch. The cruise is smoother than previous GM models that seemed quite jerky. The sunroof works well and I actually like the window buttons on the console. I've read several complaints about the coin holder. There aren't many toll roads in my area, but lots of drive through windows. The ability to quickly access quarters, nickels, and pennies is pretty nice when you go grab that large diet coke during road trips.

Not all is perfect with the 'nox. The electric assisted power steering is sluggish and takes some time to get used to. The turning radius reminds me of my old 95 Nissan Pathfinder, entirely too wide and hard to park in tight spaces.

While I like the interior a lot, there are a couple of things I don't like. The cupholders stink. The ones that pull out from the center console are flimsy and are hard to put larger cups into and out of. The larger one on the floor of the console is hard to reach while driving. The emergency brake can't be used while the pull out cup holders are being used. Come on GM, you did such a nice job on this car, finish the deal and make the cup holders more user friendly.

While there is a huge amount of leg room in the back seat, there should be a fold down arm rest in the rear seat to make it more comfortable for the two rear passengers. Rear air vents would be a nice touch.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Equinox and glad I was able to get this as my company car.

If you decide to get one, be sure to get the LT model, as it is considerably nicer than the LS model.
  • worry2muchworry2much Member Posts: 14
    I must have re-read your post 3 times. Though I agree with you on most of the issues, I do not agree with them all. The reason I got the Equinox was because of my Subbie. My 2001 Forrester was decent, not great on gas mileage (though I did squeak 31-32 mpg one long trip one time only) there was NO room in that vehicle. Yes, there is more cargo room in the Forrester but the passengers suffer. We took our first long trip in the Equinox this summer and the kids were over joyed with the comfort and room versus the Subbie. I was shopping for new car when I saw that Subaru was coming out with a new vehicle(the Tribeca) I was over joyed till I saw the price and the fact that the town I live in only has one Subbie dealer (I loathe them), that killed any chance of me getting another. The interior of the Forrester was sooooo cheaper looking, the Saturn vue takes seconds place. I have had problems with my Equinox but overall I am more than satified with it. I still could get some of the problems that others are experiencing but so for so good. I once owned a dodge Stratus that could out do most if not all the problems the people on this site post about the Equinox, yet they are still on the road and still selling. I hope that GM reads these posts and sees beyond the fussing and pulls out the real problems of this vehicle and works on improving it.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I agree with most of your comments

When the automatic headlamp system is in daytime mode, you can turn off the daytime running lights when the engine is idleing and vehicle is not moving by placing the shift lever in park.

My 04 Malibu has a position on the light switch at the end of the turn signal lever that lets you completely disable the entire automatic light system at any time. Automatic mode returns the next time you restart the car. I like this much better.

Regarding your comment "m", on my Nox, when headlight switch is set to automatic and system is in nighttime mode, the headlights go off as soon as I turn the key to off position. If this vehicle has a delayed off feature, I have not been able to get it to work.
    The last time I looked at OnStar information it said that a three year subscription was needed in order to get the future digital upgrade on new vehicles.

I seriously considered OnStar before purchasing my 2005 Chevy Equinox. However; with the analog to digital signal + Verzion cell phone requirement and the ambiguity that surrounded the issue, I decided not to option for OnStar.

J K F
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    I work in a car rental company that 70% of our fleet is GM. So im very much in touch with GM products. I recently rented for 1 week a new silver Equinox LT with 50 miles on it. My 1st impression was WOW when i saw it. Looks cool. As soon i openend the door and hoped in.....things started to change. The sunvisors were lose and rattled. The switchgear action is raspy and hard. The leather seats are comfortable. Leather itself was not very convincing. Hard plastics galore. Top dashboard material could pass as Pomex Stone. U can exfoliate ure hands by touchin the dashboard!! Damn the idea of power window switches on the console. Simply stupid. Sunroof switch, AC controls, AC vents, Wiper and signal stalks have a brittle feel and hard action movement. The same goes for Pontiac Torrent and Saturn VUE. Ive drive them all. All the same. Equinox and Torrent looks are better than VUEin my opinion but then again....thats my personal preference. Engine performance was peppy. Fuel economy not that bad for a V6. Pretty quiet at highway. Great visibility. Tons of room inside! So at the end i was with mixed feelings. I love the looks and TONS of room. But the quality materials and sloppy fit and finish left me wanting.
    Every NOX I have seen has been well screwed together? I will give you the cheap plastic though, some of could be better. Rentals do get rough treatment so maybe thats the source of the rattles.

Check out the interior on the 06 VUE. It's VERY nice, hugh upgrade over the 05s.
  • jimmehjimmeh Member Posts: 3
    I have been considering an Equinox since they first came out, mainly because of the exterior styling. The problem is as soon as I go to the dealer and open the door, I right away decide against the Equinox because the seat materials are so terribly cheap looking. The cloth seats look like what Hyundai used to put in their Accent, and the leather looks and feels like the cheapest available.

I leave the dealer, then a few monthes later am attracted by the exteriors good looks again, go to the dealer, then decide I cannot live with the cheap (and ugly) seat material.

I understand for 2006 there have been some changes. Does anyone know if they have changed the cloth seat material, or upgraded the quality of the leather?
  • bob105bob105 Member Posts: 1
    No changes- I bought one when they came out and got rid of it 2 weeks ago. Interior dash paint was chipping, door handles were marked up and door hinges were squeeking,among other things that were wrong. Had it in to dealer 9 times in 15-16 months that I had it. Ran well, but everything else about it was cheap. bought a Toyota.
    A salesman at my dealer ship told me that the Equinox will have the 3.5L next year. Has anyone heard of this? I was kind of surprised though it would be a nice little upgrade.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Big deal, what GM should do is use the 3.6L DOHC, if it fits. The new RAV4 has 268hp. I just wish GM would spend their money in the right places like interiors and powertrains.
  • sjs2729sjs2729 Member Posts: 3
    i have an 06 and they dont have the holy crap bars it would be nice to have
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    The equinox and the rav4 are in a different price range.

If the Rav-4 really will come with the 264hp v6 for the same price as the equinox (even with the upgrade) 184-200hp v6 then the rav4 will eat the equinox.

The only thing i can think of is that the actual transaction prices will be much lower for the equinox and higher for the rav4.

The 3.5L will be a nice upgrade, but indeed GM needs to take that expensive 3.6L 255hp V6 and put it into EVERYTHING it makes, from a Malibu to a CTS, and get rid of that POS 2.8L V6, and give us more power from your 3.6 with a new VVT or meybe DOD or a new fuel injection system.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    The new RAV4 will be priced pretty similiar to a well equipped Equinox. I personally think that Toyota is pricing themselves out of the small SUV market, but that is a topic for another discussion. I do agree that GM should use their 3.6L engine more than they do. Oh well, that is why GM is tanking, and Toyota, and Honda keep on rolling along.
    that they will use the 3.5L now. Watch it ppl you will see equinox jump in quality since the old engine had some issues. More power is of course a welcome improvement. HEY GM, HOW ABOUT AT LEAST THAT 3.9L?
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    You probaly mean they'll import the Malibu one made in Mexico or get the Chinese 3.4L bored out to 3.5L. GM is shutting down plants and has no intension of increasing engine production in N. America. the 3.6L DOHC is for the expensive Buicks and Caddies only.
    Even the Honda 3.5L in the Vue is only a SOHC.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    It's a shame domestics keep sticking with this design. They may do it well, but the rest of the world's automotive industry has left it behind. It's worse than Mazda and the Wankel.
  • veligerveliger Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know if GM will finally ditch the 3.4L V-6 in NA for the 2007 MY next fall, only the Nox and Torrent still use it? There are several hearsay posts that the 3.5L (which one?, the new VVT one, or the old, "last of the 2.8 family" one) will replace the 3.4L for 2007 MY. Does anyone have a link to a real news source on this?
    THEY COULD ACTUALLY USE THE 3.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHECK THIS OUT!

Other Product information