Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• jemclaugjemclaug Member Posts: 1
    I really like my equinox, but I have had similar issues with it. My main issue that never gets resolved is the clunking noise in the rear on start up. For one, the dealership never can "hear" the clunking noise. I was wondering if you had had any luck with figuring out what this issue is so that I can inform my dealer. We won't even get into the long list of things I have had worked on with this vehicle. But it is a first model vehicle so I am trying to be patient (but it is really testing me).

Thanks for any input.
  • madeintheusamadeintheusa Member Posts: 7
    I am one month into ownership now and I must say that this vehicle keeps impressing me. The two most impressive points are the ride and the power. I travel some of the same city streets in my minivan and my passenger car and the Equinox takes the bumps way better than either. The power of the peppy V6 is more than sufficient. I don't think that I have had the gas pedal more than a quarter of the way down yet. It will pull 3500# right from the factory. I plan on pulling my boat next week and I will post how that goes. I am a short term owner, but at this point, I highly recommend this vehicle for performance and value. My wife loves driving the Equinox way better than the minivan. The kids love all the room in the rear seat.
  • arkitectarkitect Member Posts: 75
    On the equinox, what is the real mileage, towing, build quality, and visibility. What are some problems that y'all have had, and would y'all recommend it for a first car.
  • shannon7shannon7 Member Posts: 7
    I bought an Equinox in Sept. 05 and my insurance now states that my "vehicle safety discount has been reduced for your personal injury protection coverage".

Has the SUV performed poorly somewhere that has caused this to happen?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Chevrolet Equinox: Real World MPG discussion and report on your gas mileage (Jim_Dandy, I moved your recent post over there to help seed the discussion).

Thanks!

Steve, Host
    I called State Farm and inquired and the lady said they do not get the exact report. It's just stats they receive on cars and they base the discount on the different numbers that come in. She said one answer may be that since this is the first year of the car being evaluated, maybe this is what it should have been from the beginning. I know it was one of the few SUV's that flipped on a 90 mph turn. Now I would think most would tip, but the consumer report rated all of them and unfortunately, our's didn't come up too well.
  • misty8misty8 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone signed up for the America's Choice Plan with OnStar through which you can have Verizon Wireless calls forwarded to your Equinox? If so, does it work well and are you pleased with it?
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    "One of the few SUV's that flipped on a 90 mph turn?"
    :confuse:

I guess anything is possible if you don't know what your talking about.

According to Consumer Reports the NHTSA rollover rating for the Equinox is Above Average or a lower "risk" rating than the Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda Tribute, Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Xterra, Jeep Liberty, and Toyota 4Runner.

That lady at State Farm should be fired.
    Find another insurance agent or company.
  • bossenoxbossenox Member Posts: 4
    hey,
    i ve read and re-read these postings - all I have to say is GOD LOVE THIS CAR....ahahahha...
    ok onto business - my problem - ongoing - although i thought it was resolved. it seems that everytime I turn/to make a right had turn or reverse right or anything right i hear this crack/creek noise on the right passenger wheel. After several visits they changed the front suspension - then I go and for the one year tune up and oil change and now the sound is back. Anyone had similar problem that has it fixed...correctly...
  • madeintheusamadeintheusa Member Posts: 7
    My 06 Equinox didn't come with a hitch, so I purchased a Load-Rite on-line for half the cost of the factory hitch and installed it myself. I bought the harness that plugs right into the factory plug for the wiring so there was no splicing, a very simple procedure. Anyway, I pulled the boat for the first time last week, and I was impressed with the torque while pulling this 2500# load. I didn't go far, only about 12 miles to the ramp, but there is a very steep hill leading down to the river. The standard Equinox is rated to tow 3500 pounds, and I believe it! I won't hesitate pulling my boat up to the mountains this summer.
  • jtnoxjtnox Member Posts: 5
    There is no true fix for the front struts, the engineers at Gm have not figured out exactly what the problem is,that comes straight from GM, I have an '05 LT2 AWD, and have the noise, there is a TSB out on it, and the dealer has done that on mine, it makes the noise less noticeable, hope this helps....
  • bossenoxbossenox Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the reply -- but you have GOT TO BE KIDDING>>>>>so i guess i keep replacing them or just live with the noise!!?!?!?!? --
    can be really frustating...thats for sure.... :cry:
  • jtnoxjtnox Member Posts: 5
    Have you had the TSB done that they have out? If so and they did it right, then the strut noise is not so loud and you do not hear it as often etc... however I have spoke to the GM Engineers(through my dealer) and they do not know how to get rid of it completely as of yet, but they are working on it... :confuse:
    That information on the flip was based out of a consumer report magazine from last year. It may have been a test done before the car even came out on the market.

Consumer Reports used the NHTSA 2005 rollover rating for the 2005 Equinox.

So

According to Consumer Reports the NHTSA rollover rating for the Equinox is Above Average or a lower "risk" rating than the Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda Tribute, Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Xterra, Jeep Liberty, and Toyota 4Runner.
  • ilonka29ilonka29 Member Posts: 3
    Hello

Why does the 2006 model have a roof rack that's more for decoration, the front of it is painted the same color as the car and after just two week of owning this car a have a scratch on that plastic it looks like there was a crack of some sort a long one and after a rain or car wash paint came of that crack it looks like a long deep scratch but it's straight and right up there I don't believe somebody did that, can someone please help me, what's your opinion on that, it's long and even right in the middle of the front plastic that connects with the roof rack. Thanks!!!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Just wanted to share my opinion (if anyone cares ;) ) with my Mother-In-Laws new Equinox. I have been VERY IMPRESSED with this little SUV. The ride is great, the interior and exterior fit and finish are great. All I can say is Chevrolet is putting out a great product. If they continue. They will pull themselves out of the financial mess they find themselves in today.

Good Job GM!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    I agree.
    Its been a great SUV!
    :shades:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    The more I look at the Cobalts, the more I like them. Especially the Coupe SS.
    Here is where I need some help. I got my first car a 1973 Dodge Swinger (the only one bought used) at 18 yrs. old then a 1977 Chev. Chevelle Malibu Classic at 20, a 1984 Chev. Blazer S-10 at 27, a 1992 GMC Safari at 35, a 1994 Chev. Blazer S-10 at 37, a 1999 Chev. Venture at 42 and now I drive a 2005 Chev. Equinox 48 when I bought it. I'm going on 50 and I'm interested on buying a Cobalt SS Coupe. Since 1984 I've been a truck owner and now going back to a car? As you can see I've been a loyal G.M. lover for a long time. Is my decision a normal one or I'm I going crazy? What kind of car is realy the Cobalt? Good or Bad?
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: Chevrolet Equinox. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the Chevrolet Equinox discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the Chevrolet Equinox board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for Chevrolet Equinox owners!

Be sure and visit our new "chat room" here: Chevrolet Equinox: Meet the Members!

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • aubrey07aubrey07 Member Posts: 1
    Any info on what changes / enhancements that can be expected on the 2008 MY Equinox. It is my understanding that an optional engine will be available. Possibly the 3.6L w 250+ HP as is found in the Suzuki XL-7.
  • melibell21melibell21 Member Posts: 1
    I just turned 16 and have been looking for cars. My parents said they want me in an SUV because of the height and safety (conveniently, I'm paying for gas. Don't worry; I'm not complaining: A car's a car, even if gas is expensive.)

My dad has an Avalanche and my mom has a Trailblazer, and they haven't had any problems. My parents like the Chevys, so they'd be happy with an Equinox.

I've been looking through compact SUVs such as the RAV4 and CRV, but my parents like the mid-size ones better. I've looked through the Ford Escape, the Equinox and many others. I'll be getting a used one, so if I were to get the Equinox, it would most likely be the 2005.

I learned to drive on the Trailblazer, so I was wondering if it would be a smooth transition from the Trailblazer to the Nox. I've been researching a lot, and the "professional reviews" complain about engine noise, boring interior (which I really don't care about), faulty starting, and sub-par handling. It would be really great to get a user's review on these subjects and any others that would be useful.

I really like the look of this SUV and thank all of you for any help you can give. Any suggestions, comments, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

And if not the Equinox, then what else should I look into? I really like it, but I know I need to be practical.

Thanks in advance.
    Check out the Consumer Ratings & Reviews linked at the top of the discussion while waiting for responses. And have fun shopping!
  • bbmak76bbmak76 Member Posts: 1
    According to this: :shades:

http://www.equinoxcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5127
    :D

..... The next full Equinox redesign won't happen for a at least a few more years. They have obviously done an extensive update on the nox for 2007, especially the interior but according to that article (which is posted from the CAMI (which is the factory where the Equinox is built) the next full redo is not happening next year. :blush:

Re: Any info on what changes / enhancements that can be expected on the 2008 MY Equinox. It is my understanding that an optional engine will be available. Possibly the 3.6L w 250+ HP as is found in the Suzuki XL-7.
  • nklemensnklemens Member Posts: 4
    My Folks bought an 06 LT AWD this fall. The loved it until now. We just had our first snow 4" and they hated it. They said the rear slid all over the road and they felt very unsafe. They are so disgusted, they have made an appointment with the dealer service dept. to check it and if nothing's wrong are going to get rid of it at 6000 miles. They wanted the security of AWD but are disappointed. What can be wrong? Tires? Sensing of Slip? I've offered to get them 4 snows and wheels but the OEM tires are pretty aggressive. Can the service department bias some of the AWD load to the rear at all times (10% or so). They replaced a Subaru AWD with the Equinox and also have a Yukon XL with stabilitrak and before that an Astro AWD. What can be wrong with the Equinox? I love it but both my Mom and Dad were disgusted with it and are afraid to drive it in the snow.

Any input is welcomed!

Thanks,

Norm
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    courtesy Autoweek: There is a sport Equinox coming for 2008 which has a new 3.6L engine, 6 speed trans with tap shift, lowered suspension and (sigh) the larger wheels sport versions always bring. They also chop off roof rails and lower the ride heigth. It will __not__ be called an SS.

I don't know if this model will be based on the "new" Theta platform Saturn will be using for their Vue, or the current Theta architecture Chevy now uses.

This is what the Maxx SS should have been, but never will be.
    I'd appreciate hearing about this too.
    An AWD Equinox is being considered for replacing my Maxx next year, but if the AWD is not sorted out, it cannot be a contender.
    The similar Saturn Vue reportedly also has issues with its AWD system - biggest problem is AWD takes too long to activate!
    My Nox is a 2005 LT FWD. Had fun in the snow last winter and I drove average (200 milles a week). Never got scared nor stucked and I feel very secure in it. I drive on the original 4 season tires. If you want my advice put your tires at 30 p.s.i. for winter driving and most important "SLOW DOWN" and "KEEP YOUR DISTANCE". Even if people get AWD or 4X4's that doesn't mean that it's a tank. Changing your driving habit for winter season is very helpful.
    Can't wait to have some fun again this year and I've got the same tires as last winter. Last year on this date we had 1 foot of snow staying on the ground. We might have a green Christmas this year. It never happened before. Take care.
    ..if anyone knows whether Chevy will be offering interior colors __other__ than black (C&D claims "black" is the standard interior color), I would appreciate knowing.

Black interiors, sadly, haven't worked very well for me here in LA, CA.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I saw the sport model of the nox about 4 years ago at the New York auto show. I do not under stand why it takes GM SO long to bring the sport to the public. I do not like dodge but when they show you a concept you see it in the show rooms in a year or two. GM is also dragging their feet with the camaro.GM WAKE UP
  • suv4betsysuv4betsy Member Posts: 38
    Looked up close to 2007 Equinox yesterday, A Pillar is far too wide to block view, sorry it was a standout negative for me. So much so that the front windshield mounting is recessed and I can only assume contributes to some wind noise. Visibility comes at a premium on the design of SUVs with all the pillars.
    I drive a 2005 Nox. Purchased 2 yrs ago and the Pillar never gave me problems. In the beginning it was kind of weird but I got used to it. Even in worse winter snowstorms, it never blocked my view. And for the wind noise, I never noticed any even at 80 m/p/h. If you're driving faster you could probably hear some wind noise but at normal speeds, no problems. I can't say that the Pillar doesn't block my view but I always double check by leaning a bit forward. My large backseat headrest (only in 2005's) we're more of a problem than the windshield Pillar. But with time, I got used to them and now I wouldn't change my Nox for anything else.
  • equinoxc8equinoxc8 Member Posts: 45
    Several issues here Norm. If driving in snow with something new it takes a whole new process to learn to drive the Equinox. The Subaru AWD vehicles have constant AWD capability. The Yukon XL with Stabilitrack is a whole different system then the Equinox as well...Stabilitrack detects wheel slippage on a certain tire the ABS system activates the brakes to that tire and slows it down enough for the tires to grab the snow. The Astro AWD...forgot what system is in that right now. The MOST important thing to do is replace the tires on the Equinox with proper snow tires. If your parents are going to drive a lot in the snow then change the tires that have more grip. If not and this was an isolated case your parents need to know how to handle the Equinox AWD system. It is a mechanical system much like the clutches on a go cart. When a wheel slips on the Equinox the rear drive shaft spins a little faster and through clutches in the rear differential the rear wheels kick in. First and foremost it is never wise to believe that AWD drive will give you exceptional traction. Each product is different and performs differently too.
  • noxroxnoxrox Member Posts: 22
    Well Norm,

Any further? This does not sound like any thing anyone else has reported about their AWD. So was wondering if you found something wrong. Response back would be appreciated.
  • noxroxnoxrox Member Posts: 22
    Norm, are you there?
  • oklahomadeeoklahomadee Member Posts: 10
    I just posted a message about my 2006 Equinox gas mileage problem which I thought was the only major problem I was having so far. But I may be wrong. I was going to have the local Muffler shop check my exhaust system because I too have been hearing a clunking noise in the rear on start up occasionally. I thought I had a something loose underneath. Please let me know if you have found the problem so I will know what to tell my dealer.
    My Nox is a 2005 LT. purchased new almost 2 years ago. I can hear occasionally a pop/clunking noise coming from the back underneath when I start the truck. Let me explain what this is.
    It's a normal characteristic of the "Evaporative Emissions Control System" (EVAP) doing a self testing of the system.
    Your exhaust system is probably in good shape. I used to freak out in the beginning with that pop/clunk noise until a mechanic explained it to me.
    I still hear it, it's the EVAP doing it's work. It's checking something, what? A system of some kind.
    Electronics... Go figure. But it's normal.
    I have a loaded 2005 FWD LT, with leather, we bought in January 05. Currently has 20,000 miles.
    We bought this as a family cruiser and as a universal work horse.
    I also have two boys 6 & 12yrs, that ride in it all the time with my wife. She loves the Equinox.
    We had no problems. We get advertised fuel economy, Stereo sounds good, no problems with noise, smells,leaks, interior fit & finish, interior noise, or drivability problems.

We find the ride and brakes to be excellent.
    Knowing that the Equinox is 5 star rated is also a bonus. ;)
  • lupinelady99lupinelady99 Member Posts: 7
    I bought an Equinox in May 2006, and it has been a decent vehicle so far. Then winter arrived. This is definitely a fair weather, clear roads, pavement only vehicle. Basically it really isn't what I consider to be a real SUV, just a car in SUV wrapper. I've been a faithful GM vehicle owner for many many years and have driven many different types of vehicles (rear wheel drive, front wheel drive, 4 wheel drive manual shift, 4 wheel drive push button shift). This is my first experience with an AWD. I've also had many years of winter driving experience, so snow and ice don't scare me.

As purchased from the dealership with the all season tires, it is the worst handling vehicle i've ever owned! The tires clog up and get covered in snow. The tread depth & aggressiveness are a bad joke. It is all over the road with the slightest bit of snow or ice. I admit that there aren't 5,000 miles on this vehicle and it wouldn't break my heart to get rid of it. Would trade it in a heartbeat for my 1993 S-10 blazer with manual 4WD.
    Are your tires "Bridgestone Dueler H/T"? (original). That's what I have on mine and no problems in the snow. Could it be that with FWD (mine) is equipped with "traction control"? (standard equipment on FWD) and not on the AWD that make less spinning on the snow. I owned 2 Blazers s-10 in the past a 1983 and a 1994. My first was RWD and the second 4x4. I agree with you that we cannot compare the stability of the Equinox with the Blazer in winter driving. And remember AWD is not exactly the same (by far) a 4x4. The AWD kicks in only when the front wheels start to spin and then kicks out automatically, as for the 4x4 all 4 wheels are in traction if desired.
  • kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there, was wondering to those that bought an Equinox, what other makes and model did you compare it against when you were in the buying process. Right now I have the Equinox and the Rav4 as my two main options. Did anyone else test drive both and would be able to give me pros and cons of each?

Thanks
    In all honesty i'm not sure what the brand of the tires are on the vehicle. They are an all season radial that came standard on the Equinox when i purchased it.

All that i'm sure of at this point is that i'm extremely disappointed with the handling of my vehicle. The more snow that we have gotten, the less comfortable and safe that i feel in it. Normally once you drive a vehicle a few times in a change of weather, you gain confidence and knowledge. This just hasn't been the case for me. The vehicle has less than 5,000 miles on it and i'm considering selling it. Winter just lasts too long to be house bound. That's really a sad statement from someone that normally hates to get new vehicles!
    Lots of original equipment tires are less than stellar. When I lived in snow country, I'd run a set of winter tires for 4 or 5 months and then switch back to the all-seasons when the roads dried out.

Swapping tires twice a year is a bit of a pain, but if you buy some (relatively) inexpensive steel wheels, you can save a bit of time and money by not having to mount and balance the tires - you just switch the rims and tires out for $20 or so. Hopefully fitment isn't an issue with your wheel size if you go this route.

If you don't have room to store another set of tires but otherwise like the 'Nox, I'd see if a tire dealer would give you some money in trade and try another brand or style of tire (or sell the low mileage tires on Craigslist or your local PennySaver type flier).
  • jdwksujdwksu Member Posts: 27
    I am in the process of narrowing it down to a couple of vehicles now. It can be tough... I am looking at the Mitsubishi Outlander(2007), Honda CRV(2007), Equinox, Saturn Vue(2007), Hundayi Santa Fe(2007). I looked at the Rav4 and hated the back tire blocking the rear view, also felt smaller than all the others listed.

It is kinda between the Outlander, CRV, and Equinox. I really like the Out lander for the bluetooth, keyless entry/start, HID headlights, side airbags. CRV is having rear differential problems, but i still like honda quality, and safety features like electronic stability control. The equinox is a budget consideration. It looks good, has some good safety features, and costs less, just not excited about it at all.

hope that helps.
    Right now i am in the process of waiting to hear back from the dealership to see what changes can be made to the tires without voiding my warranty. There is so much fine print in the new car warranties today that you don't dare change anything without first checking. For example, if i went to
    a tire dealer and had snow tires installed and they did not meet GM specs and it caused any mechanical failure would it void my warranty. After all having the warranty was why i chose a new vehicle rather than a used one.

Back when i did the test drive before i bought the equinox, i asked the salesperson about remote starter options. I was told that none were available on the 2006 model and that if i opted to go for an after market install (even done by the dealership) my warranty would be voided. So, better to check before i make any changes.

You are absolutely correct about from the lot tires. In fact you reminded me of when i purchased my 1993 s-10 blazer. I ordered it from the factory and wanted an aggressive off road type set of tires put on it. The salesperson was a hoot! He kept trying to tell me that "Oh you don't want those, it won't ride like a car and they'll make noise!" Well duh! I was ordering a 4 wheel drive vehicle that i planned to drive in the winter and in the mountains all year. If i had wanted a "car", i would have bought a car! LOL Not everyone drives a vehicle for the same reason and in the same climate. It is high time that salespeople and manufacturers realize that.

The idea about the second set of rims being steel is an excellent one for winter climate. Aluminum wheels tend to pit and look nasty after a few winters of driving in snow, ice, road salt, dirt and sand. Thanks for reminding me of that.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    As long as any replacement tire you install is the same size and same (or better) speed/load rating you should have no issues voiding your warranty.

Now if you were going to go from 17inch wheels to 20inch wheels with tires that had a slightly different overall diameter, then I could see where there could potentially be issues with voiding the warranty. But if your 'Nox has, for example, 235/60/17 100S Bridgestones, and you want to install 235/60/17 102T Michelins, that should cause no issues at all. The Michelins would be the same size, and the 102T rating is better than the 100S of the Bridgestone.

The only way a warranty claim can de denied is if the dealer or manufacturer can prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that the failure of any warrantied components was the direct result of something you may have installed that wasn't OEM (or if you flat out "abused" the car and something broke as a result).
  • kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    Yes thank you for your opinion. I think we're probably going to go for the Equinox for the same reason you stated (economically). I think my g/f is set on that as you can get a top of the line Equinox for a much lower price. The outlander does seem to be a pretty nice car though, even offering six speed tranny with paddle shifts.
    Has anyone ever encountered this problem with their mp3 player. Sometimes I insert a mp3 C.D. and it reads the folders and starts to play without any problems. My problem is that on other times I put the same C.D and a message tells me "can't read disc". If I try it again in and out a couple of times, sometimes it starts to play. Everytime I insert a ordinary C.D. no problems at all. The problem occurs only with mp3's.
    What could be the problem?