Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try this: How to Decode VIN Numbers

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with satisfied owners of a 2005-2006 Chevy Equinox who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 21, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jonathan Wahl
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    It's the first time I drive with winter tires in 33 yrs of driving. Last night the car in front of me made a sudden stop, when I applied the brake at my surprise I slid and almost rear-ended the car in front of me. On another occasion, I was turning after making a "dead stop" and when I starting to turn, my wheels spun making a "screeching" sound (first time I make my tires spin, I was surprised again.

Is it normal for a winter tire to do so on dry pavement? or my "new" tires are no good?

Both incidents never happened when I had my 4 season tires on even with there 30,000 milles on them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I see that you're in Western Quebec from another posting you made. And didn't Quebec mandate winter or studded tires starting this winter?

What style and brand of tire did you wind up with?

Gonna be interesting if this edict has unintended consequences and causes more accidents up there.
    Yes, winter tires are mandatory everywhere in Quebec starting this year and probably other provinces in Canada will follow in the futur. The only think that worries me is that lots of people out there bought their tires early (like me) and never drove on dry asphalt with winter tires. I bought and installed mine a bit early because I didn't want to wait and be caught in the "winter tire stampede" that will happen this year.

My winter tires are "Arctic Claw's" made by Vanderbuilt a division of Cooper Tires.
    I don't know enough about tires to speculate whether the rubber compound for winter driving is less effective on dry pavement. You may want to check over in Tires, tires, tires. Some tire pros hang out in there now and then.

Oh, and check out the thread here:

tiff_c, "Snow/Ice winter tires" #552, 2 Oct 2007 2:41 am
  • moz28moz28 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I am thinking about purchasing a 2005 Equinox LT w/ 24K miles.The list price is $10,995. I will be trading in a 2001 Volvo s60 Turbo w/135K miles on her. A fabulous car, but starting to get a little tired - I commute 100 miles a day mostly on highways, although the speed runs from 67 to 4.....traffic...I have never owned an SUV before, and I am afraid of roll overs. Can you all tell me really if this is a good idea? I have researched, and think that I will need to put 17" tires on it to make it run better - any advice will really really be appreciated - thanks!
    I own a 05 Equinox with 30K on it and I adore this vehicule.

Here are some S.U.V.'s that I had in the pass (all chevrolet).... 84 s-10 Blazer, 89 s-10 Blazer, 94 s-10 Blazer, 98 Tracker and now my 05 Equinox LT FWD.

Never had problems with or scared with rollovers. It's true that they say S.U.V.'s are more dangerous but if you drive your S.U.V normally, I guess there's no problem. The only S.U.V. rollover that I saw was someone who thought he had a tank and was realy inclined in a hillside and.... I don't need to explain what happened next. You can't compare Blazers with Equinox, but still It's a fun machine to drive.

P.S My Equinox came with 235/65/16 Bridgestone tires and still got theme on and they give a good ride.
  • moz28moz28 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much - I'm sure you're right. I am just used to sitting low in the saddle, as it were....my last car was a 1999 Z28 (hence my user name...) had a corvette engine in it - wowee!! My other question for everyone is - do you think this sounds like a fair price for this truck? I'm sort of out of my league when it comes to prices for used vehicles - I just can't afford a new car right now, and I need something that will be (a) reliable; (b) keep me safe. So, waddya think? Thanks!!!
    If someone sells a 2005 LT Equinox he could ask between 7,300$ to 13,300$ (private sale) or the value for a trade-in is between 6,200$ to 11,800$ always depending on the equipment, condition and millage of the vehicule.
  • sdbtrflygrlsdbtrflygrl Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Chevy Equinox (not AWD).

I am headed to the mountains for Thanksgiving and want to know if I can put regular chains on the back tires? Somewhere we thought we heard you could not use regular chains. I asked the dealer and they keep giving me conflicting answers so I thought I would ask someone on here. :)

Can I use regular chains or do I need to buy cables instead?

We don't go the snow often so we want to find the cheapest solution.

Thank you!
    we want to find the cheapest solution

I got my last two sets of chains cheap at the local thrift stores. :shades:

Now, if someone can just tell you if you'll have to get cables instead of chains or maybe you can use S chains. I don't suppose the info is in the owner's manual?

Btw, I usually put chains on the drive axle - the front in your case.

How to Install Tire Chains
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Are you as surprised as I am that GM doesn't even offer heated side mirrors on the Nox? I have contacted a company called Muth Mirrors they build the side mirrors with the LED turn signal arrows in the side mirror glass, they also can add a heated model, if enough people show interest. So lets all email to " sales@muthco.com " And show them there is an interest in the mirrors for the Nox.

Thank you, and good night
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Very surprised!
    My 1999 Venture had heated mirrors and what a charm that was. If I remember they were on the same switch as the rear defogger.
    Now I own a 2005 Equinox L.T. FWD and no heated mirror. BAHHH!
    We need heated mirrors up here and what surprises me the most is that the Nox is built in Canada and no one thought of at least putting "heated mirrors" even as an option.
    So weird.
  • moskymosky Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Equinox and so far I think the motor has been great. I have a little over 50,000 miles on it and no problems. I took it hunting and two people with me had mid size 4wd trucks. I went down a hill with rocks, snow, and holes and all of us thought the Equinox was going to have to be pulled. To all our surprise the AWD worked better then I dreamed of. Gas milage is around 22mpg. I really love this Equinox.
  • commuter10commuter10 Member Posts: 26
    I have had a positive experience with my Equinox as well. I have a 2006 with about 30,000 miles on it. The engine has been trouble free. It gets about 19 in mixed driving and about 22-23 on the highway. I opinion is that the chinese 3.4 is an up to date version of the 3.4 with all of the earlier bugs (leaky gaskets) worked out. The Aisan tranny has also been great. The 5 speed really makes it quick. The 2010 version with the new v-6 should be a rocket!
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    My 08 has been trouble free with one exception, the piston slop when cold started. Yes it goes away when warmed up but the 3.4 has had this problem for 15 yrs. Come on GM, you think this may be one of the reasons you in so much trouble now?? I do agree the tranny works well and the 2010 looks very good inside and out.
  • gmanydaygmanyday Member Posts: 4
    I have an 08 nox sport fwd. Very satisfied with the car,however i've noticed when the temp reaches below -10 degrees f. the suspension /drivetrain gets noisy over bumps(if parked outside for several hours) sounds almost like ice caught up in the springs(not the case however).As well under acceleration sounds as if c.v joint grease is frozen. I have asked several nox owners if they have similar noises when cold and all reply in the negative, although they own base nox's, so perhaps the problem is only with the sport models lowered suspension, however sport model owners are hard to come by. Dealer claims only suspension noises they ever come across are the strut links(not the noise i'm hearing). Any other sport owners notice this problem or is it just me?? would appreciate feedback.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    I have 08 LT AWD with 7108 km and had similar noises at -10 C and lower with the rear suspension. It one does it if i go over a sharp large bump in the road if mine continues in the warmer weather GM will be hearing about it. It sounds like the suspension is coming contact with the rubber travel stops making a knocking sound.

The sport Equinox sits two inches lower than the other Equinox's should make any real difference. Thanks for letting me know about your NOX.
  • juststevejuststeve Member Posts: 4
    Am making a buying choice where, on the face of it, the Equinox looks to be an attractive alternative to a RAV or a CRV. I'm concentrating on vehicles 2-5 years old, Hondas and Toyotas have a reputation of reliability...is the book in on 100K+ Equinoxes?

many thankx
    --steve...
    If your using the Nox for city driving it gets below average mileage but the V-6 is very torquie and accelerates very well for a mid size SUV. I would stay away from 2005 year NOX ,first year, and has had some problems . Cost to operation and maintenance is lower than CRV and RAV ,resale value is lower and reliabity is good .

My 08 NOX, I will keep until the family out grows the capacity size and hauling . Good ride and average interior quality, not so comfortable driver's seat could , they should have used the seat from the Mailbu which has alot much more support.

Overall if the price is right and don't mine GM quality it's a great buy for the buck.
  • gmanydaygmanyday Member Posts: 4
    The equinox as most G.M products should prove to be very reliable in the long run,in terms of value for your money its right up there. I'm a certified automotive technician for the past 13 years and I can honestly tell you that if you maintain the vehicle properly it will last just as long if not longer than its japanese counterparts.Honda CR-V's, as well as Toyota Rav-4"s that are post year 2000 are nowhere near as reliable as the pre 2000 vehicles, drivetrain problems, especially transmission related have become commonplace with these vehicles,contrary to popular belief these vehicles no longer sport the "legendary reliability" badge they used to.We are seeing more and more of them in the shop as time goes on.
    I have to agree with you, I have done regular maintenance on my 1990 Beretta and still runs very well just starting to show rust now.
    Change all the fluids and grease the suspension regularly care and attention and follow the maintenance schedule . It's nineteen years old with 318000 km and has service it's duty as regular and reliable transportion with some classic lines..Maybe having the five speed tranny and the 3.1 v-6 helped it from becoming a statics before other Beretta's from the same generation.
    Can someone tell me what's the best way to store 4 winter tires till next year (the tires are off the rim). I see people store them different ways. There must be only 1 good way to store them for so long?
    The Tire Rack says to bag them and stack them in your basement.
    I drive a 2005 Equinox and my daughter bought a Aveo 5 (also a GM product) in may 2008.
    My warranty is long gone but my daughter's Aveo 5's is still active. Someone told her that since G.M. is in trouble right now her car's warranty is no longer valid. Can this be true?
    She heard that only those who buy GM cars from now on that their warranty will by respected by the government bur not the warranty of those who bought their car in 2008-07-06 ect...
    She also bought a extended warranty of 3 years so it's supposed to be on warranty until 2014 bumper to bumper. But now she's worry.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Your daughter's warranty is fine. It is rumors like this that make a poor economy worse. GM is still in business and even if they go into bankruptcy protection all warranties will be honoured.
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    A piece of junk, lots of problems with brakes, starter sticking,water pump,thermostat,tensioners& oully,head gaskey could go ay any mileage.Their GM customer service service center at 1-800-222-1020 is attrocious.mnay letters no calls or definitive action when you ask them.Save you Money.Do nopt buy this piece of ZJunk the Chevy Equionx,I have over 50 pages of probelsm and 52 days where this vehicle(american made has been in the shop.Save your Money!!!bBuy foreign...WHAT AGENCY IN HE US GOVERNMENT IS BACKING GM SERVICE ISSUES IF GM IS BANKRUPT.I HAVE BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING THIS OUT WITH THE CHEVY EQUINOX AS INFERIOR PRODUCT!!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    and your writting is about as bad as the car.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    If one can wade thru your spelling errors and omissions an intelligence response might be given.

BTW the OX is made in Canada.
    an intelligence response might be given

There's nothing classified or secret in our Forums. :P :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    My wife and I are thinking of trading our 2005 Equinox for a new Aveo 5
    Any advice before I make my move?
    I really don't know if I should because once it's done it's to late.
    I would suggest looking to see if there is a forum on edmunds dealing with this car. Knowing edmunds I bet there is. That will be where you will get all your answers.
    Have a look at the topics in Chevrolet Aveo.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lupinelady99lupinelady99 Member Posts: 7
    I would tell anyone to think long and hard about purchasing any GM product right now.

In my case, my 2006 Equinox has been unsafe to drive for 5 weeks. The drive shaft is ready to fall out after 17,500 miles! The worst part is that it cannot be fixed because the parts are on national back order and no one knows when they will become available again. My son is the assistant parts manager at the dealership and he said that there are a number of people waiting while GM sorts out the bankruptcy issues with their suppliers.
    Sorry you that got a bad Equinox,

A lot of the main parts of this vehicle are produced in countries like China for the 3.4 liter engine, japan makes the five speed transmission and I heard the interior came from Taiwan and it's assembled in Ontario.

If you believe all north american vehicles are made completely in the USA, Canada and Mexico then you couldn't be farther from the truth. The auto market is globally connected with different countries around the world supplying platforms for new vehicles that were developed by other manufactures. Ford used a Volvo platform to produce the Lincoln MX a mid size CUV and i believe they use it for the Edge . Gm has used a Saab platform to build the Malibu ,G6 and Aura. Chrysler 300 has all Mercedes powertrain from when they were together.

So if you think that a Honda Odyssey assembled in the US or a Honda civic or Toyota Corolla both are assembled in Ontario Canada , or what ever the make of vehicle you prefer over (your 2005 GM Equinox first year of production) doesn't or will not have a lot of teething problems then go and buy it.

Go ahead and Spend a hell of a lot more money for what you think will be a superior vehicle but please stop bashing a company when they are rebuilding . It's a cheap and easy thing to do and doesn't give you much credability in this form.
    And here's a little plus for your post (rvoth)...
    I've heard that G.M.'s Aveo had something to do with Korea.
    I don't know how, but Korea has something to do with that car.
    Also....the upcoming 2011 Chevrolet "Cruze" has something to do with Korea and Germany.
    It make me laugh when I hear people say that GM is North American.
    My Equinox is a 2005 LT and yes I had my part of share with breakdowns and repairs but most of it was on warranty.
    I guess that's why GM came up with warranties.
    As I can see NO car manufactures can built a "perfect" car (unless it stays in your garage and never moves).
    That is so true. I just got off the 2007 and 2009 Toyota Camry forums and it seems that Toyota has a high pressure oil hose on their V6 engines that blows and here you are going down the highway without oil. One guy thinks his engine may be ruined in his 09 Camry and today a guy posted his 07 5000 out of warranty had the same problem and he thinks his dealer is going to charge him for the replacement even though it is a defect on all V6 engines. So the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I have had warranty problems with GM products in the past and the key is they have always taken good care of me even once when the Chevy Tracker I had was 18 months out of warranty and needed $1600 worth of repairs in which less than a hundred was parts as it was in the Tranny and of course with 4 wheel drive it was $400 to drop both and 400 to put back in. GM covered everything but 356 bucks.
  • lupinelady99lupinelady99 Member Posts: 7
    I'm not bashing GM. My father worked for many many years for the company. My son is an assistant parts manager at a dealership and my sister in law is the business manager at a dealership, so we support GM and have for many years. In fact, the dealership and GM are even covering the cost of my repairs once the parts become available even though my warranty was up in May.

All I stated was a fact that the part is not available to fix my vehicle. This is happening with several parts for different vehicles right now as the entire industry restructures. I'm not familiar with a lot of the other companies that make vehicles, so this could even be an industry wide problem since so many companies buy parts from the same supply companies in a very complex business world. The only reason I felt it was important to mention this was so that the person seeking advice could see if the product they wanted to purchase would have parts available should there be a need for warranty work. It is up to that buyer to decide what to buy and when to buy it.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    In contrast to many posts in this forum, I have a 2005 Equinox FWD LT, purchased in June 05. It now has about 58k miles. I have newer had any problems with it. It has only needed normal Maint 1/2 Service. We put on new tires and redid the brakes recently. I guess it's just luck. My only issue is that it has never delivered more than 19 MPG average, even when driving conservatively on the highways.
  • clebo1clebo1 Member Posts: 78
    Looks is one thing,dependability is another.I have had all types of problems with this vehicle,including GM.do yourself a favor.Steer Clear of this problem Vehicle.I will fax you over 75 pages of repair orders etc...
    The Aveo is an imported from Korea for GM as well as Saturn's Astra is an Opel based car ( europe) and made on the same platform in North America.

The Cruse is probable using a platform from Opel to produced this new car.

Did you know BMW has a assembly plant in one of Southern States and has been in operation for a least four years. Funny German made ya right maybe just German engineered.
    Maybe sell your 05 Equinox for parts it's probable worth more broken in to pieces than as a whole unit.

Best of luck.
    Look, admit it, you screwed up and bought someone elses piece of junk that who knows how they treated it and now you blame GM for YOUR mistake. Admit it and move on. :cry: :P
  • kimberlyfayekimberlyfaye Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 2006 Equinox and I'm not too crazy about the seats, I have discovered in a short period of time how crapy the interior is. I love the inside of the torrents and heard they are much alike,

Has anyone tried or has put torrent interior in their equinox?
    Or anything else?

Thanks
    K :confuse:
    The Torrent and the Equinox are exactly the same vehicles minus little details in the body and interior apperence but otherwise the same thing.
    The interior of the seats are identical except for the cloth design.
    Even if you change seats in your Equinox with seats from the Torrent there will be no difference.
    It like changing a pair of pants, take your "jeans' off and put some "dress pants" you'll still have the same legs underneath but appearing better in "dress pants".
    That's it.
  • kobebeankobebean Member Posts: 1
    Liked the 2009 Highlander but 2010 equinox has me interested. What do you guys say is the best option here?
    I can't speak for the Highlander but the new Equinox is head and shoulders over the old one. Better everything, more high end options like memory seats, rear camera and the list goes on. Best part is they did away with the Chinese engines which seems to be a big problem. Like anything that comes from China.