Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pricing used vehicles involved in accidents/reconditioned

dalkeithcdalkeithc Member Posts: 6
My 1999 4cyl Camry threw a connecting rod at 60,400 miles just before trade in. Toyota refused to replace the engine due the warranty had expired...although addmitting that there must have been something wrong as the car has a perfect service record. There was no evidence of sludging etc. ( see The Camry Message Board).

The engine is being replaced with a "RE-BUILT" engine by Geico under extended warranty.

Will the value of the car increase or decrease at trade-in/sale due to the installation of the rebuilt engine? i.e will the value of the car be affected? I need to know as I will be getting myself a Honda!

Comments

• zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    here is mine is it reads in my case reports:

I confirmed through comparison of the part number used in the engine replacement that, in fact, a “new” engine was not used in the replacement operation – a “remanufactured” engine was used and several points come to light on this issue:

- A remanufactured engine uses an engine block from unknown origin, application of vehicle and mileage on the “donor” vehicle.
    - A remanufactured engine’s internal components are usually only replaced if they are “out of specs” with a certain requirements - obviously not the same wear and tolerance specifications as a new engine.
    - A vehicle with a remanufactured engine, especially a newer vehicle such as this, bears the burden of “not being in original condition” and subsequently assumes a loss in value of at least 40% - considering there are no other contributing factors as is not the case on this vehicle.
    - An educated consumer or used car manager, upon having the ability to compare this vehicle to one that is similar but is equipped with the original engine, would choose the original vehicle. Even if the mileage on the vehicle with the original engine was more than on the remanufactured unit, a buyer can be certain the original engine is built to tighter tolerances and constructed by the vehicle’s manufacturer – not an “aftermarket” engine-rebuilding factory.

*** Bear in mind that I work for plaintiff's attorneys in lemon law cases and I show the bad side of using a reman engine. I some situations, you may not see a decrease in value, depending on the appraiser and your method of disclosure of the vehicle's warranty/repair history.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The quality of the remanufactured engine depends on the rebuilder. How many miles it may have had on it really doesn't matter.

I don't think it either adds or detracts from the value of the car. It may scare off a prospective buyer though.
    I've never disagreed with you on anything, but...

"How many miles it may have had on it really doesn't matter"

That's just it, we don't know whether it had 30,000 miles or 300,000 miles. That's why I feel the way I do about remans. We're also not talking about some custom engine, like the one I want to put in my Mustang from Probe Industries - that's all miked out, balanced and blueprinted, top shelf components and a dyno run to prove its worth. You simply don't get any quality assurances (other than a brief warranty) with a reman.
  • dalkeithcdalkeithc Member Posts: 6
    Man....I do not like what I am hearing here! I am therefore doubly pissed at Toyota's dealership for refusing to help with a factory replacement especially knowing that I was ready for a trade-in! This was the same dealership that I have done ALL servicing/maintenance since new ..... EVERY 5000 miles!
    As soon as I get back my car I'll let you all know which dealership I'm talking about!
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    I can't believe Toyota wouldn't cover the repair given that it's been regularly maintained and barely out of warranty. Did you talk with corporate Toyota reps or just the dealership? I've seen Toyota replace head gaskets on a 1993 4Runner with 150k for free, so this case is really surprising.
    I spoke to corporate Toyota who gave me a reference number etc. etc..... and ...referred us back to the dealership! Having found out we had extended warranty, Toyota was only willing to assist with the deductable. In the end I have lost the value of my car..the very reason why I had bought a Camry and kept it well maintained in the first place! Such is life!
  • visionxpvisionxp Member Posts: 45
    ... how it affects the value depends on the car.
    in my opinion i tend to think that if it's an old car with high miles and all that a rebuilt engine will actually make it worth more than one with the original engine... however in your case a 96 camry would probably worth less than if it had the original engine especially with 60k miles.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    I know this doesn't really help, but we all get our scaldings on a vehicle here and there, should we have the opportunity to live long enough, and buy-sell-trade a few. It's painful, but tolerable if you recognize the odds. Once you have it up and running, one way or the other, and get the miles from it you want, let me
    recommend that you take a look at the Nissan Altima and the Honda Accord. They're both rated at the top, and they compete with the Camry more than successfully.
    You would have gotten a reman motor even if the Toyota dealer had covered the repair under warranty. There is no way a "new" motor would've been installed, even at 10,000 miles.
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    to expect a new engine be installed in a used car.

As isellhondas said, the most important aspect is the quality of the remanufactured engine being installed.

I contend that a remaned engine CAN (but isn't always) better than the factory assembled engine.

Why? Because with a factory engine, the just put the parts in and expect it to run. If the engine is remanufactured correctly, everything will be measured, such as bearing clearances, cylinder taper and other things.

I would not be afraid of a quality remanufactured engine, especially if it came from Toyota.

FWIW,

TB
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... Hmmm, this can be a real tuffy for the owner .. Zueslewis makes all the right points here ..

Right now as it stands, you will end up being the "bad guy" with a bad piece of merchandise. I don't doubt you took great care of the vehicle, so let's put that all aside for a moment, this will still be *Viewed* as - you didn't take Any care of it, Yota's do don't blow at 60k or even at 100k, unless maintenance wasn't done and you just burned the daylights out of the vehicle. Unfortunately in a situation like this, the word Doubt will always raise it's ugly head.

I'm on your side, but most Retail buyers, dealers, wholesalers will look at this with a beaded eye. Anytime you have to tell a story to sell something, the value goes down. Me personally, If a dealer calls me on a vehicle that is "jam-up" - BUT- it's gotta this or it's gotta that, I start walking backwards and start losing all my interest and unless I can just flat "steal" it, to compensate for the story I'm gonna have to tell to the next guy.

I don't feel this is a dealer thing, I thinks it's a Toyota thing. I have had Toyota repair transmissions, engines, compressors, power windows, etc, etc. outside of warranty, as long as I could produce ALL the "real deal" historys by the book .. as a rule, they don't like customers with a bad taste in their mouth, they haven't come this far to start dropping the ball now.

Come on, where did you come up with that.? You know as well as I, if that dude rolled into your lot for a trade, you would be dropping the value like a bad habit.
    _________________________-

But anyway, when everything is finally completed to "your satisfaction" the best thing you can do is .. have all your records, warranties, history, maintenance, ready to go, place a nice Ad and sell it on your own with a full disclosure to the new buyer .. IF, everything is properly done, a Yota buyer would love to get a 99 Camry with -0- miles on it.

Good luck,

Terry.
    how can a reman be better than a new engine or original engine? A reman's block gets a quick once over, a hot dip and what doesn't meet specs (very loose specs, I might add) gets chunked. Whatever meets the loose specs, stays. The block could be 200,000 miles old - you have no way to know.

I argue this point differently tham most because as a lemon law investigator, I contend that at 5,000, 10,000 or 30,000 miles, the manufacturer DOES have the option of installing a new engine versus a reman.

Most dealers or used car managers, me included, would hit a car with a reman, not praise it.
    is to not disclose it. That's up to the owner. The used car manager may still see labeling on the engine or other signs that it was recently replaced - then it looks like poor maintenance based on the reliability of other Camry engines.
    .... I didn't even think about this until I was away .. but depending on the state, the situation, barometric pressure, yaddy yaddy yaddy, the title "could" fall into TMU at a later date ..

Terry :-(
    require the title to be annotated if the engine number changes - in this case, it would.

Terry, you do realize that I work against the manufacturers and not dealers, right? Don't want you thinking I'm a bad guy.

I love the dealer fraud stuff, but the attorneys tend to go after stuff that is blatant - Gary Barbera Auo Group and Reinhart Ford here in the Philly area are notorious, as well as the one group in North Jersey - Bob Casiulli, I think.
    Well,

You are assuming they use very loose specs.

I'm sure there are some places that build them just like you say.

However, my contention is even with loose specs, a reman engine gets more measurement than a factory new engine. I doubt anything more than a sample of factory new engines are measured, since they assume the parts are in spec.

However, I also believe there are high quality reman'ed engines out there, that are as good or even better than a factory new engine.

However, don't confuse the quality of the reman'ed engine with the psychological issue folks have with something like this.

I do believe an engine replacement is a hard sell to most potential buyers.

I just believe it is an irrational fear. Any used car is full of used parts. And even new cars break early in their life cycle.

FWIW,

TB
    No,I don't think the mileage on a rebuilt really matters...IF...the job was done right.

As an example, a rebuilder gets an engine with 60,000 that died because the owner blew a hose and oveheated it badly. Same rebuilder gets another engine to rebuild that died of old age at 200,000 miles. Both engines get rebored, cam and crank grinds, all wear items replaced etc.

As far as I'm concerned, no difference in quality.

Now...if the rebuilder was a shop that cuts corners and only replaces what he has to and sells his engines for 30% less than the other guy, then I think the mileage would make a difference.

Terry...I guess we disagree. I suppose the existance of a "rebuilt" engine could raise some red flags but if the car was otherwise nice and showed no signs of abuse etc I think most appraisers would shrug and figure that something out of the ordinary must have happened such in this case we are discussing here.
    There is no arguing against the points made by zueslewis concerning the resale of motor vehicles sporting rebuilt or remanufactured engines. It is not a matter of whether the rebuilt is better or worse than an original. The point is the emotional venue in which vehicles are bought and sold. This is perception at work, not scientific factuality. Professional and amateur buyers alike will almost always view such remanufactured drive trains as VERY negative to the marketability of the vehicle, now and forever. Dishonesty in such a sale is the only path around the phenomenon, and may cost the seller a big penalty later. Now, ain't it just so? (:o]
    places like Jasper, I believe, are very high quality.

The ones used by the manufacturers ARE NOT of this quality, as I see many engines fail even before leaving the dealership. I just looked at a GM case where the technician had to go through three engines before they could return the car to the customer.

GM, Toyota, Ford, etc, does not rebuild their own motors. Jasper does. Knowing this, and knowing the manufacturer's reman engines are farmed out to who know where (a sweatshop in Bangledesh) guarantees the understanding that manufacturer's reman engines are NOT of the quality that some high performance aftermarket engines are. Check out a Pep Boys engine, then compare it to a Jasper.
  • visionxpvisionxp Member Posts: 45
    ... i find it hard to believe that you can give such advice.
    if you decide to hide the fact that the car has a rebuilt engine and the buyer actually buys your car and later on discovers that it has a reman engine you could be in serious trouble because he has the right to sue you and will most likely win which automatically means that you'll loose a lot of money.

i agree with isellhondas ,if someone wants to buy that car and the vehcile looks maitained and with all the service records he'll realize that it wasnt abused or anything like that so if he liked the car he will probably buy it but not quite at the same value as one with the original engine, however those few hundreds of dollars you "loose" will buy you peace of mind in the following years.
    ..... I don't think of you as a bad guy at all .. as a matter of fact, I do follow your posts and feel you have made some very good calls on (from what information we get from the posters. l.o.l.) .. and I do know what you do for a living, so you have been very fair on both sides, in my stupid humble opinion .. We seem to be in agreement on this one also (but don't let your head get all bloated.!).l.o.l..

*Fleetwoodsimca* great post -- with the Professional and amateur buyers alike will almost always view such remanufactured drive trains as VERY negative to the marketability of the vehicle, now and forever.*

This is exactly the point .. it can be the most wonderful replacement in the world. -But, it's the psychological aspect, it's the emotional aspect of the sale - gheeez, it's hard enough to sell a vehicle with a re-painted door, cuz' Aunt Myrtle scratched it when leaving bingo. No matter what you say, most buyers are already thinking it was in a 16 car pile up ..

**Isell

I think most appraisers would shrug and figure that something out of the ordinary must have happened such in this case we are discussing here.

I'm not trying to flame anyone .. but please tell me who the heck is going to just "Shrug" off a re-built motor in any vehicle .. If I called 15/20 dealers right now, during this beautiful Sunday halftime show, I would guarantee that half would have -0- interest and do a Pass, or at least be $1,5/$2,000 back of book.

Also keep in mind, during a service inspection, if it was found out, they would have the previous owner on the phone in a heartbeat and would Demand those figures would change and the he couldn't do a thing about it .. except, come back and get the vehicle.

Come on Isell, you need to get out a little more ...

Terry.
    I said that was the only way to avoid raised eyebrows. You may or may not be surprised how many vehicles come in on trade with things that should've been disclosed or patchover jobs to get them through the door. I would say 5 out of 10 have an issue that, if disclosed, would have effected the vehicle's value.
  • 96_i30_5sp96_i30_5sp Member Posts: 127
    You can replace the engine with a 99 or even 01 low mileage engine from a junkyard. Say a car was rear-ended and totalled but the engine is completely intact. You'll know exactly how many miles the engine was run and will be able to test it. I would rather replace the whole thing than to disassemle a factory engine. Don't forget the cost too, you could get an engine from the junkyard for about $1k.
    This person was dealing with a shop, and every shop I know wants a source for an engine with some sort of warranty, so if the thing breaks, the car owner doesn't come back on the shop.
    I think this is the way you can overcome the negative emotions a potential buyer might have about a vehicle.

Didn't I say that there would be a negative emotional response to the reman'ed engine. Or am I not part of this conversation, LOL.

But if the Toyota dealership is willing to go through the certification process and warrant the vehicle that could go a long way towards comforting a potential buyer.

But even these programs don't always make the cut. Recall the thread in here about the certified Honda that had a fender replacement. The buyer felt cheated that his or her certified vehicle was in an accident.

Probably the smart shopper way to deal with the Toyota is to get a quality reman'ed engine and drive it a couple more years. Of course, if you are adding some kids to the family and need a mini-van (IIRC, this was the scenario) then keeping the smaller car really isn't an option.

I think the "right" thing to do customer service wise would be for the dealer to look for an after market adjustment for the trade and keep the deal that was made.

But they have no legal obligation to do that. Bad luck for the customer.

TB
    Well guys...I have no intention of hiding info about the rebuilt engine while selling. I replaced 60% worn disc pads, and skimmed rotors/drums (to remove a slight shimmy during braking) and replaced a sticking power door lock during the 60,000 service to ensure that the new owner had NO problem on buying the car! I remember the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would like them to do unto you!

As it now stands per ZUESLEWIS in post #2... I have lost at least 40% of the value.

i.e. The car may not be able to pay off for itself on being sold!
    -------------------------

rroyce10 - Post #12: This is the family car and used mainly by my wife to go to work (60 miles per day). It has not been subject to abuse. When I drive it it is usually with my kids on board. i.e. This car has not been abused/trashed
    -------------------------------

Anyway...THANKS A MILLION TO YOU ALL FOR THE INFORMATION, ASSISTANCE & SUPPORT THAT YOU HAVE ALL PROVIDED. It will sure help our decisions made after we pick up the car in the middle of this week. (Toyota only needed Thurs to Tues to replace the damaged engine with the rebuilt unit - provided last Wed. by Geico)

DalkeithC@yahoo.com
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    To those of you in the new car business. How often do you check the engine numbers on cars that you take in as trades?
    I've bought a number of new cars over the years, and traded in my old cars on a regular basis. I've had the used car appraiser start up, and/or test drive my trade, but never do a "numbers check".
    I'm not advocating dishonesty, but the originality of an engine has never been questioned in any of my transactions.
    to see that an engine has been replaced. All the accessories will be dirty, the hoses, lines, wiring harnesses, etc will show age, then you have a clean block, heads and valve covers staring at you. Additionally, many reman engines have decals that indicate their status. A seasoned eye can pick all this out just by opening the hood.
    I understand your position and even agree to a point. The value of the car in question would make a big difference too. On a lot of cars it might scare off a buyer but not to the extent you mention. We disagree, that's all.

A lot of cars out there running around with quality rebuilt engines that are running a lot better than similar cars with tired original engines in them.
    After a year or two, the homogeneous "dirtiness" of the engine compartment will return and mask the evidence, I would assume.
    ... Perhaps you might read the post above you .. Zueslewis has explained it best.

When I go too look at a vehicle .. I pop the hood and I look for the Vin #'s first, to make sure the fenders are in check, the next thing I will scan, is actually what the Zman has just posted ..

Isell, I'm not trying to be a smart a** here, but I'm with buyers and sellers all the time and sometimes, I watch 2/4/6,000 vehicles roll by in a day, that's a lot of lookin' .l.o.l..

These are just the basic things that the average UC guy and a well informed retail buyer would be looking for. Here's just a basic, standard, regular run of the mill example -

I bought a 01 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with 11k on it, the rad hose blows off, before going to service and the first customer that looks at "swears" it been in an accident, because all the hoses, brackets, clips and claps I had replaced .. thank goodness I had the Carfax, DMV and all the service records sitting in my briefcase or he would have been History .. l.o.l.. now he's a happy, satisfied customer, with No Doubt.!

Speaking of "no doubt", I don't doubt for a minute this poor guy with the Camry is legit .. stuff happens. I'm sure if all goes well at the shop, he will sell it and make a good buck with a retail buyer that "knows and understands" the situation and won't blink twice, because he feels comfortable with it.

But let me ask you a question, how many Used Cars do you think you would sell this month, if all of them on your lot had a re-built motor in them .? -- Kinda puts a whole different light on it, don't it.!

Terry :-)
    Still...

Some buyers would care and some would not.

Some would think a rebuilt engine in a otherwise nice used car as a "good thing".

Others would be scared off.

On a fairly new Land Rover, it would be a detriment. On a 1995 Taurus it would be a benefit.

Of course, on a Land Rover there are MANY more things to worry about. Talk about troublesome!!

I do see your point, I just don't happen to think ***overall*** that the existance of a rebuilt engine dramatically drops the value of a car.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    I thought that I would share my thoughts on this subject. With so many used vehicles out there to choose from, why on Earth would anyone ever purchase one that had a rebuilt engine? Sure, the remanufacturer may have done an outstanding job rebuilding the new engine, but why take a chance on a car that has one if you could get an almost identical used vehicle with an engine that had not had any major problems for the same price. I wouldn't, even for the sake of not having to explain the rebuilt motor to potential buyers when I go to sell it down the road. Just my two cents...

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
    when testifying in court. You can't force a dealer to give you a certain amount for trade-in, simply because the dealer, or any other buyer, can do what they want.

With a car like the Camry, that is very plentiful in the market, there are literally hundreds and thousands of used cars to choose from with their original engines in good operating condition.
    That workmanship isn't what it used to be.

Maybe I'm in the dark here or (probably)living in the past. A good machine shop using top quality parts used to be able to turn out a first class product.

Perhaps this is no longer the case?

OK...then I'm done...

I guess if I found two identical '97 Camrys. Same price, both with 60,000 miles. One has the original engine, the other a rebuilt.

Knowing what I know about Toyotas, I would buy the one with the original engine.

On the other hand, if the car in question was a 1997 Taurus, I might favor the rebuilt engine assuming it ran well and passed inspection.
    One thing I do know is that reman engines aren't built by a godd old fashioned machine shop that had assembles engines to exact specs, taking pride in every portion of their work.

The typical reman is done by a company that has an assembly line process that works faster than McDonald's. The pride is not there, like "Pop's Hot Rod and Machine Shop" and it's all about numbers and money.

That is why I don't like remans. On the other hand, a private race shop will be building my Mustang's engine and I know their work - it's the top shelf stuff.
    Of course, the good old machine shops of my younger days are all gone.

"Shorty and Pepper" two top notch engine rebuilders that I once knew I'm sure are long dead. These guys and many others took great pride in what the did and stood behind their work.

We knew better than to try to rush these guys!

I'm probably being unrealistic I guess.

Today everyone wants it fast and cheap!

Too bad...
    and that's OK - i don't want a 15 minute job. I'm going to be too hard on this engine for some burgerflippin'-style rebuilder to do it.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    If I were shopping for a used car from a private party, it would probably not occur to me to ask if any major drive train components have been replaced. I assume that many used cars are sold because the owner detects a change in the mechanical condition of the vehicle and wants to avoid a repair bill in the near future. For example, I would not expect the owner to tell me that the transmission has started to develop a whine and that's why he is selling the vehicle. I am not talking about mechanical problems that the seller has disguised so the car lasts a few days until the check clears.
    if you want, with your right to reverse the sale. Call it "check out time" if you will. The easiest way to not worry is to take it to your mechanic and tell him your concerns.
    And thus, who would want to buy the vehicle and have to go through all that? Would you ever enjoy a vehicle you could never get comfortable with, for fear the hammer, albeit the unknown hammer, was poised to fall? On the other hand, a really old car that has been restored may sell for beaucoup bucks. The irony of it all...
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ...a rebuilt, new or reman engine on an older car (older than eight years or so) can be a bonus. On a '99 Camry, it cannot be considered a good thing, especially on a car that otherwise has 60k miles. It will definitely hurt resale.
    You wouldn't get a used car checked out by your mechanic if you're not a mechanic?

I call that foolish and you get what you pay for, or maybe not.
    I have no formal training in automotive repair, and I have never worked professionally repairing vehicles. Yet, I have spent a very significant portion of my life "wrenching" on motorcycles, cars, trucks, what have you. I have always managed to check out vehicles for myself and have NEVER hired a professional mechanic to decide for me if a vehicle is worthy of purchase. My batting average is very high. I suspect there are many folks out there like me in this respect. I never have thought of my way of doing business as foolish. You might say I've been put out on a few infield pop ups, but I've never gone down swinging! (:o]
    the things I recommended were - If you can check out your potential cars with a good batting record, I see no reason to get help. I do the same thing.

I hear all daym, every day, though (in my line of work) about people who saw a car, liked the color, bought it without even glancing under the hood, then they scream bloody murder about how they were rooked when the car breaks.
    I agree. I certainly recall the not-so-distant days when "maleness" demanded all young men to learn the basics of internal combustion engines, and the vehicles propelled by them. Self directed mechanical skills were mandatory for those who proposed to ride rather than walk. Times have changed. Many young men today seem to know less "vehicle science" than young women knew a generation ago.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    The scary thing is how many young guys out there don't know how to even change out a tire! Or even an air filter! sheesh. I make a few bucks here and there doing quick tuneups for parts, lunch and about $5.00 (hey it's a free meal and takes me an hour w/ the oil change) Most are the g/f friends and their b/f doesn't know squat, and when I offer to show them, they don't want to learn... (got half a mind to charge more).
    Concerning the business of possibly being held accountable for "undisclosed" problems with a vehicle: The phrase above, privicy of contract, refers in the law to a principle under which only the party to whom YOU sell the vehicle can come back on you for satisfaction, let us say claiming that you sold them a defective vehicle by withholding information on the condition of the vehicle. If you trade the vehicle to a dealer, and the dealer then sells it to another party, that ultimate buyer cannot get back to YOU in making claims about undisclosed problems with the vehicle. I do not know if this is the law everywhere, or not. And, one would think a dealer would have the ability to determine whether they wanted the vehicle from you. That is to say, you would not likely be able to pawn off a seriously defective vehicle on a dealer. On the other hand, it is pretty common for dealers to "steal" cars for very low values from buyers not aware of how they arrange the trades, etc., to maximize profits.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    I believe it all comes down to "intent to defraud". If you fail to disclose a problem knowing the vehicle could become unsafe or unusable and it is not readily apparent to the dealer, you are not absolved of liability.

As to value, the age and miles on the vehicle make a big difference. My son sold an eight year old car with 150,000 miles on it, and had replaced the engine a year before. The year and 20,000 miles on the replacement to prove it out, did not cost him anything in selling price. Replacing the engine in a two year old car with 12,000 miles would kill the value, based on concern for a lemon.

As time and miles go on, replacing an engine loses liability and gains equity.

My thoughts.

Harry
    ... Very well said.!

Terry.